PDA

View Full Version : NDSU QB Wentz to start in FCS title game

Schism55
January 8th, 2016, 05:19 PM
Carson Wentz, who has been out of action since Oct. 17 with a broken wrist, will start for North Dakota State on Saturday as it goes for its fifth straight FCS national title against Jacksonville State. Wentz is No. 3 QB draft prospect, according to Mel Kiper Jr. and No. 4 according to Todd McShay.

Front page of ESPN.com
Discuss.
Go Bison!

Grizzlies82
January 8th, 2016, 05:44 PM
The kid had little playing experience this year. No doubt rusty, out of shape, and overwhelmed with the pace of the game.

That said, NDSU's odds just improved considerably.

awBison
January 8th, 2016, 06:03 PM
Honestly don't personally like it but I'm no coach and I do think our coaches are very good. You can't tell me there won't be some rust after not playing for almost 3 months.
I know he is one of the best out there but Easton is also no slouch and has been improving a lot pretty much every game. I like Carson better in a one on one comparison but as a whole team playing together I like Stick better.

Stick has really lead this team IMO and would give us the better chance of winning the game.
When we ground and pound there is not much that can stop us. We are not going to out throw
JSU's offense IMO. That is their specialty, not ours. Our best chance at winning this game is to keep their offense off the field as much as possible. That means a lot of long, four or five yard consistent gains, and all out time grinding plays by our offense. That is not really Carson's style. It is more Stick's style. It is a lot more difficult to win games flinging the ball around then it is by dominating the run game and making the safe easy passes when they present themselves. I've seen our pass game get shut down too easily. We don't have the fastest WRs and corners can usually keep up with them pretty well. It doesn't matter how good your QB is if nobody is open. Our strength is in the RAMS! They have won us 4 straight NC. I think Stick's running ability adds a whole new dimension to this offense. Other defenses can usually stop running backs all by themselves but it is a whole new game when you have to stop that extra man that can either throw or run.

TheKingpin28
January 8th, 2016, 06:08 PM
Damn but I can't blame them at all. Carson is a great guy and I know he'll do well in this game.

BisonTru
January 8th, 2016, 06:25 PM
I'm pumped. We're the most spoiled fan base. Going for number 5 and we just got back one of the best QBs in the country all levels.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 8th, 2016, 06:48 PM
CW will rip JSU a new asshole!!!

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 8th, 2016, 06:49 PM
Ton of green/yellow in Frisco/Plano. I haven't spotted one JSU fan yet....

centennial
January 8th, 2016, 06:56 PM
They are eating from the mini fridge.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 8th, 2016, 06:59 PM
They are eating from the mini fridge.

Local news gave a little love out to the Bison and the game tomorrow.

BisonFan02
January 8th, 2016, 07:06 PM

Can confirm...my pops texted me. JSU fans are an elusive creature. :D

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 8th, 2016, 07:12 PM
Can confirm...my pops texted me. JSU fans are an elusive creature. :D

I'm at the Holiday Inn Express here in Plano and there are signs at the desk welcoming both NDSU and JSU fans. I swear the whole hotel is booked with Bison fans. I've been looking hard around town here looking for one JSU fan and haven't found one.

A lot of people are skipping the Pep Fest...could still be a lot there though.

X-Factor
January 8th, 2016, 07:19 PM
The kid had little playing experience this year. No doubt rusty, out of shape, and overwhelmed with the pace of the game.

Incorrect. Coach Kleiman indicated in the presser that Wentz is in exceptional physical shape right now.

TheKingpin28
January 8th, 2016, 07:22 PM
Incorrect. Coach Kleiman indicated in the presser that Wentz is in exceptional physical shape right now.

Not to play devil's advocate, but what is he suppose to say? "Hey I'm going to put a QB out there who hasn't played in almost 3 months, and he is in horrible shape." I truly believe he is in great shape and wish him the best, but I know I am still in the minority when I say Stick should have started, but its so hard to not say yes to Wentz.

BisonTru
January 8th, 2016, 09:12 PM
Not to play devil's advocate, but what is he suppose to say? "Hey I'm going to put a QB out there who hasn't played in almost 3 months, and he is in horrible shape." I truly believe he is in great shape and wish him the best, but I know I am still in the minority when I say Stick should have started, but its so hard to not say yes to Wentz.

He's been working out with Kramer since day one, he should be in as good of shape as ever. The wrist we have to rely on the doctors, trainers, and the coaches. The only question mark for me is will the game seem a little fast being off that long but everyone has been off for three weeks so i think both sides will be shaking a bit of rust off the first few series/snaps.

Also, not sure if you're in the minority about Stick starting. I'm excited to see what this offense can do with Wentz in, power run focus add some read option zone stuff and if needed laser guided passes down the field.

awBison
January 8th, 2016, 09:13 PM

I know he said that but it is really tough to believe. You really think that he is going to be as physical as a 100% healthy QB like Stick? You think he is going to want to
charge and hit the line hard on a QB sneak or run diversion plays? If I had just broke my wrist I wouldn't want to be getting thrown onto the
ground and hit hard play after play. Even assuming that he is willing to risk it and sacrifice his body a bit, there is no way that he has full strength back.
One of JSU's signature traits is pounding the ball out of people's arms. They are very good at stripping away footballs.
I've seen injuries similar to that and you don't just regain strength in a month after being immobilized. It takes a long time. I'm not
questioning his legs and cardio. But I can't see how his wrist could be 100% like it should be for a game like this. Not giving up any
turnovers is going to be absolutely critical in this game. We can not afford turnovers or penalties.

BisonTru
January 8th, 2016, 09:49 PM
I know he said that but it is really tough to believe. You really think that he is going to be as physical as a 100% healthy QB like Stick? You think he is going to want to
charge and hit the line hard on a QB sneak or run diversion plays? If I had just broke my wrist I wouldn't want to be getting thrown onto the
ground and hit hard play after play. Even assuming that he is willing to risk it and sacrifice his body a bit, there is no way that he has full strength back.
One of JSU's signature traits is pounding the ball out of people's arms. They are very good at stripping away footballs.
I've seen injuries similar to that and you don't just regain strength in a month after being immobilized. It takes a long time. I'm not
questioning his legs and cardio. But I can't see how his wrist could be 100% like it should be for a game like this. Not giving up any
turnovers is going to be absolutely critical in this game. We can not afford turnovers or penalties.

A couple things to remember about the wrist is he had surgery vs. just cast it which significantly cuts the immobility time as well as recovery time. I believe he had limited movement of the wrist a couple weeks after surgery.

Some posters have said they saw him throwing at the UNI game in warm ups so he has been chucking the ball around for a month.

Also, I highly doubt the doctors would allow Wentz to go if they had any significant worries of re injury.

WTFCollegefootballfan
January 8th, 2016, 09:55 PM

What is the difference of now or the off season? He was out 7 weeks I think off season is about 7 months.

awBison
January 8th, 2016, 11:28 PM
What is the difference of now or the off season? He was out 7 weeks I think off season is about 7 months. Do you not recall the result of our first game after the long off season? Not that I'm attributing that loss to CW but it just seems like an odd fact to bring up if you're trying to prove that the team wasn't rusty after the off season.

SeattleGriz
January 8th, 2016, 11:31 PM
You returned to dominance when you gave up passing. Wentz likes to pass more. This is not good for you. ;)

X-Factor
January 8th, 2016, 11:50 PM
You returned to dominance when you gave up passing. Wentz likes to pass more. This is not good for you. ;)
The whole correlation/causality thing is really difficult for many people to grasp.

centennial
January 9th, 2016, 12:13 AM
We were bad because our defense was newish, lot of new kids. We are a much stronger team now then against Montana in game 1. Wentz adds to throw, is almost as good on the run. We can run the same game plan if we wish.

Mr. C
January 9th, 2016, 01:40 AM
I'm glad to see Wentz get a chance to finish his career on the field. Here is my take on the situation and a preview of the game:

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/ncaa-division-i-sports/fcs-football/1049-jacksonville-state-north-dakota-state-set-for-championship-showdown

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 9th, 2016, 05:40 AM
CW adds the deep ball to Coach P's arsenal. He can make any pass on the field.

If the running game is "on", it doesn't matter who is in there.

SeattleGriz
January 9th, 2016, 06:18 AM
We were bad because our defense was newish, lot of new kids. We are a much stronger team now then against Montana in game 1. Wentz adds to throw, is almost as good on the run. We can run the same game plan if we wish.
Relax, I was only kidding.