PDA

View Full Version : How About A Football Jamboree

UNHWildCats
December 14th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Do you think if 8 New England schools teamed up and worked out a deal with Robert Kraft to play 4 games at Foxborough on a Saturday that they could attract enough fans with all day tickets to make it worth it?

I figure the schools could be URI, Brown, UNH, UMass, Maine, Northeastern, Harvard, Yale

10:00AM URI vs Brown
1:30PM Maine vs Northeastern
5:00PM Harvard vs Yale
8:30PM UNH vs UMass

fans could step out and tailgate when games are going on they dont have interest in and then head back in to catch another game.

Could be a nice fun Satuday of football on a big stage.

TexasTerror
December 14th, 2006, 11:49 AM

You couldn't take Harvard-Yale out of their current setup...it would not be beneficial to the rivalry and the tradition..

mtnralum
December 14th, 2006, 11:59 AM
For years I have thought that the SOCON and A10, Southland, etc should have a jamboree at BOA stadium in Charlotte. The football would certainly be better than what the Panthers are providing this year!

lizrdgizrd
December 14th, 2006, 12:05 PM
For years I have thought that the SOCON and A10, Southland, etc should have a jamboree at BOA stadium in Charlotte. The football would certainly be better than what the Panthers are providing this year!
I'm down with that! It'd be great to see 4 good games in a day. I don't think we'd get close to packing it out, but I bet the lower level would be pretty full.

I think an even better idea would be to do something like the basketball Big 10 vs ACC. Have the CAA and the SoCon get a deal together where they each send either 4 or 6/7 schools to the BofA stadium every year. With 4 you'd have a great days worth of football, but with 6/7 each you'd have 2 days worth of football. I'd think 4 on Sat and 2/3 on Sunday. It's good OOC play for both conferences and they could determine the team matchups based on previous year's rank, so #1 SoCon vs #1 CAA, etc.

henfan
December 14th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Unlike with hoop, home FB dates are rare and, for some schools, lucrative events. I'm not certain you could entice many schools to a 'jamboree' setting without considerable finanical and competitive rewards. My guess is that schools like App State, GSU, El Cid, Furman, JMU, W&M, UD, and UMass, who draw a hundred to a couple hundred thou$and off of home dates, aren't going to jump at that sort of idea. Think of the lost revenue with parking and concessions, not to mention loss of ticket revenues from the fans who don't/won't travel to road games.

WSBE
December 14th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Do you think if 8 New England schools teamed up and worked out a deal with Robert Kraft to play 4 games at Foxborough on a Saturday that they could attract enough fans with all day tickets to make it worth it?

I figure the schools could be URI, Brown, UNH, UMass, Maine, Northeastern, Harvard, Yale

fans could step out and tailgate when games are going on they dont have interest in and then head back in to catch another game.

Could be a nice fun Satuday of football on a big stage.

This is brilliant. What a great marketing opportunity for FCS New England. A day of football & some tailgating.

unfortunately, there are probably 20 things preventing this from ever happening...

AZGrizFan
December 14th, 2006, 12:33 PM

Nah. It'd be too far for Furman to travel. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

TexasTerror
December 14th, 2006, 12:39 PM
I think the SLC and SWAC should get together for a doubleheader in Shreveport (if not Houston! ;)). It's been brought up numerous times by the fans and even a few admins.

Put NWST vs Grambling and McN vs Southern. Those two games would draw huge!

henfan
December 14th, 2006, 12:42 PM
This is brilliant. What a great marketing opportunity for FCS New England. A day of football & some tailgating.

unfortunately, there are probably 20 things preventing this from ever happening...

If you have a good idea, chances are high that someone else has already considered it and thought better of it. There's a reason- probably several of them- why we won't ever see FCS football 'jamborees'.

lizrdgizrd
December 14th, 2006, 12:49 PM
I suppose instead of a jamboree type setup, we could follow the basketball example even further and have the games 1/2 at CAA schools and 1/2 at SoCon schools and switch the following year.

henfan
December 14th, 2006, 02:50 PM
I suppose instead of a jamboree type setup, we could follow the basketball example even further and have the games 1/2 at CAA schools and 1/2 at SoCon schools and switch the following year.

Instead of that, I'd think we'd be more likely to see regular season scheduling agreements between like what the Ivy and Patriot have going.