PDA

View Full Version : Frisco to host National Championship through 2020

GetEmGriz
January 8th, 2016, 11:56 AM
http://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/article/2016-01-08/fcs-championship-will-stay-frisco-through-2020

The NCAA has agreed to a four-year extension with Frisco, Texas, to continue holding the Division I Football Championship title game at Toyota Stadium, hosted by the Southland Conference, the city of Frisco and Hunt Sports Ventures. The extension will keep the championship game in Frisco through 2020.Mark Wilson, chair of the NCAA Division I Football Championship Committee and the director of athletics at Tennessee Technological University, is happy to see the title game of the Football Championship Subdivision stay in Frisco.

“The Division I Football Championship Game has been a world-class event for the past five years,” Wilson said. “The committee has received overwhelmingly positive feedback from all of our past participants and countless fans. We look forward to continuing our relationship with the city of Frisco, Hunt Sports Ventures and the Southland Conference.”

More than 95,000 fans have attended the championship game in Frisco over the past five years, with an average crowd of more than 19,000. Three of the five championship games sold out, and the 2016 game is projected to attract the largest crowd in the six years the game has been played in Frisco. North Dakota State University, going for its fifth consecutive championship, will play Jacksonville State University in Saturday’s final.

The stadium is scheduled to undergo a $39 million improvement project, which will include new locker rooms. Construction is expected to be completed by late 2017.

“We’re thrilled to host the NCAA Division I Football Championship Game for the next four years,” said Frisco Mayor Maher Maso. “Frisco is a great place for this title game because our community is dynamic, collaborative and sport-centric. We’re a fast growing community and extremely proud of how this event has grown with us. The FCS championship enhances our reputation as a tourist destination while providing entertainment and economic benefits for our residents. We’re looking forward to continuing our partnership.”

The Southland Conference will continue to serve as host of the Division I Football Championship title game, and Commissioner Tom Burnett said the conference is excited to continue the partnership.

“The member institutions of the Southland Conference are honored the league will maintain its role as host of the Division I Football Championship Game through 2020,” Burnett said. “The well-being of the Football Championship Subdivision is paramount for the Southland, and providing an outstanding championship experience for all participants has been our guidepost since the league and our Team Frisco partners were first awarded the game in 2010.”

Fans interested in receiving information on ticket opportunities can sign up for notifications at NCAA.com/FCS.

NDSUtk
January 8th, 2016, 12:00 PM
4 years. Interesting. I assumed based on the last two times they'd do 3 year contract.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

ursus arctos horribilis
January 8th, 2016, 12:04 PM
4 years. Interesting. I assumed based on the last two times they'd do 3 year contract.

Yeah, I don't know why but I think it used to be 4 year contracts and then moved to 3 for whatever reason. Maybe it just goes back & forth depending on how secure they feel at a location.

NDSUtk
January 8th, 2016, 12:10 PM
Aw that makes sense too. First two times for Frisco may have been kind of a trial run before securing it longer. Wonder if they'll do multi year packages again. That sentence about signing up for ticket alerts kind of made me think that. Then again, I may be reading way too much into that

Nickels
January 8th, 2016, 01:47 PM
IMO this is good. Frisco puts on a great weekend.

ESPN needs to get its **** together with this 11 am nonsense though. Would make for a better weekend.

gumby013
January 8th, 2016, 02:17 PM
I'm ready to buy a four-year ticket pack.

Daytripper
January 8th, 2016, 02:23 PM
IMO this is good. Frisco puts on a great weekend.

ESPN needs to get its **** together with this 11 am nonsense though. Would make for a better weekend.

No way they put it up against the NFL playoffs. The only change possible would be to Friday night.

kdinva
January 8th, 2016, 02:32 PM
I'd like to see the stadium expand to 26,000 - 28,000....

BisonFan02
January 8th, 2016, 02:43 PM
I'd like to see the stadium expand to 26,000 - 28,000....

http://www.bigdsoccer.com/2015/9/21/9365245/toyota-stadium-capacity-reduced-2016

Capacity is actually going DOWN for the next two seasons due to renovation.....

dgtw
January 8th, 2016, 05:37 PM
It was in Chattanooga for about 20 years so if they are happy in Frisco I don't see it moving. I wish it was closer to where I live but whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 8th, 2016, 06:51 PM
Dang....Frisco keeps getting bigger and bigger every year I have been here.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 8th, 2016, 08:14 PM
It was in Chattanooga for about 20 years so if they are happy in Frisco I don't see it moving. I wish it was closer to where I live but whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was actually about 12 or 13 yrs.

Nickels
January 9th, 2016, 02:52 AM
Dang....Frisco keeps getting bigger and bigger every year I have been here.
I don't think it will stop until Austin, DFW and Houston become one giant metro. The growth is nice but I wish people would stop moving here...

chattownmocs
January 9th, 2016, 03:46 AM
The fact that a terrible AD like mark wilson would be chairing anything is an embarrassment to the ncaa.

Honestly though, this is what chattanooga deserves if they are going to support a semi pro soccer team better than than UTC football.

DFW HOYA
January 9th, 2016, 07:43 AM
I don't think it will stop until Austin, DFW and Houston become one giant metro. The growth is nice but I wish people would stop moving here...

Yes, too many people, but there's almost no growth south of Dallas towards Houston. No one will confuse Seagoville with Frisco.

Nickels
January 9th, 2016, 02:54 PM
Yes, too many people, but there's almost no growth south of Dallas towards Houston. No one will confuse Seagoville with Frisco.
Give it time. Suburbanites will be commuting from Centerville one day.

Pards Rule
January 9th, 2016, 03:09 PM
I assume they fixed the cell phone issues??

JSUSoutherner
January 9th, 2016, 03:17 PM
I assume they fixed the cell phone issues??
My service was garbage all day.

dewey
January 10th, 2016, 06:09 AM

All the previous 4 years I had terrible coverage but this year for me I had great coverage. It was really nice to be able to send pictures of my5.5 year old son and I back home to my wife. Great day celebrating a 5th straight NC and 13th overall with my son oon the field. His favorite part was making a confetti angel in the BISON endzone.

Dewey

Twentysix
January 10th, 2016, 03:55 PM
My phone worked just fine during the game, it was non-functional at halftime. I guess everyone was on their phone at the same time then.

Any idea when the multi-year ticket packages will go on sale (assuming they are happening again)?

The three year package was a great investment last time around, I'd like to do it again.

centennial
January 10th, 2016, 03:57 PM
That's what I remember when I went to frisco last.

Pards Rule
January 10th, 2016, 06:36 PM
That's what I remember when I went to frisco last.

This is what was a major, major problem when cheered on the Bison in 2012 (I almost missed meeting Tatanka and CAS). I sent a copy of the page from Bisonville deriding the service to the Chamber of Commerce president and he responded (Jan 2012) that they would have it fixed next year by bringing in more portable units.

jimbo65
January 11th, 2016, 01:37 PM
Judging from the last 5 years, they should schedule the title game for Fargo & save half the travel expense.

BisonFan02
January 11th, 2016, 01:43 PM
Judging from the last 5 years, they should schedule the title game for Fargo & save half the travel expense.

Facility isn't big enough. xawesomex. To be fair....Frisco does a pretty good job as hosts.