PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Everett Withers to Texas State

JMUNJ08
January 6th, 2016, 07:04 PM
The twitter universe is a buzz at the moment. ESPN has the TCU co-OC turning the Texas St. job down 2 hours ago. Sources come out that Everett has accepted the job and will bring most of his staff with him....

Not shocked but def need a drink...

JMUNJ08
January 6th, 2016, 07:20 PM
First few links....

https://twitter.com/txstatebobcats/status/684901134893371392

http://footballscoop.com/news/everett-withers-to-be-head-coach-at-texas-state/

bluehenbillk
January 6th, 2016, 07:25 PM
The Dukes are screwed, most of the staff gone, their recruiting class will be poached. I can just hear the posters on JMU's board crying about still being in FCS now.

jmu007
January 6th, 2016, 07:31 PM
Is KC Keeler still available??? ;)

SENOREIDA
January 6th, 2016, 07:33 PM
Everette Withers and Mickey Matthews take FBS jobs days apart from one another.

http://cdn4.miragestudio7.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/ancient-aliens-guy.jpg

bluehenbillk
January 6th, 2016, 07:39 PM
Is KC Keeler still available??? ;)

Now that would be something, but I don't know if he'd be interested - JMU looks to be a mirror image of UD from an administration point of view - I don't think he wants to repeat those frustrations.

centennial
January 6th, 2016, 07:59 PM
Sorry JMU fans, we also lost our coach to lowly Wyoming. Hopefully, this doesn't gut the recruiting class.

BigHouseClosedEnd
January 6th, 2016, 08:07 PM
The timing is bad and the destination is a bit laughable, but I think JMU will be better off without Withers. Without Vad Lee, he was about to be exposed as a pretty crummy coach.

IBleedYellow
January 6th, 2016, 08:21 PM
Sorry JMU bros.

I'd be pretty ticked at your Administration by now. Fun Belt probably would be better for you guys.

Sammy94
January 6th, 2016, 08:37 PM
He has no idea the mess he is heading into. Keeler is happy where he is until a real FBS gig comes open.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 6th, 2016, 09:13 PM
He has no idea the mess he is heading into. Keeler is happy where he is until a real FBS gig comes open.

Texas State is a terrible job imo. He must really want out of Harrisonburg. The only thing I can think of is he believes JMU is in a bit of rebuilding mode next year and he doesn't want to have wait for his stock to rise back up.

knucklehead
January 6th, 2016, 09:20 PM
Like maybe he wants to find a defense.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 6th, 2016, 09:33 PM
Like maybe he wants to find a defense.

He's not going to find one in San Marcos. The Bobcat's defense was terrible this year....

RootinFerDukes
January 6th, 2016, 09:56 PM
He's not going to find one in San Marcos. The Bobcat's defense was terrible this year....

Well they're about to get a WHOLE lot worse then. JMU just had its two worst defensive seasons in program history under EW.
I agree with the UR fan, the timing sucks for recruiting and we have to pray for transfers after spring ball, but we're likely better off without him.
He was interviewing for any low end fbs gig he could get his hands on.
Last year was central Michigan. Didn't get it. This year supposedly 4-5 jobs including ecu and tx state. He was second on tx state's list but their top guy fell through.

KPSUL
January 6th, 2016, 10:35 PM
Withers was getting increasing obnoxious and arrogant at each successive press conference this season. He was all blow and no go; I agree with everyone that his success at JMU was due largely to Vad Lee. The timing is terrible for the JMU program, they treat him right and get this in return. At least JMU fans won't have to listen to their Head Coach respond to most questions with one of two response: "I don't know, I haven't seen the film yet" and "You wouldn't understand".

JMUNJ08
January 6th, 2016, 10:41 PM
Well they're about to get a WHOLE lot worse then. JMU just had its two worst defensive seasons in program history under EW.
I agree with the UR fan, the timing sucks for recruiting and we have to pray for transfers after spring ball, but we're likely better off without him.
He was interviewing for any low end fbs gig he could get his hands on.
Last year was central Michigan. Didn't get it. This year supposedly 4-5 jobs including ecu and tx state. He was second on tx state's list but their top guy fell through.

I am starting to feel better about this too (but not fully until we have a replacement). Next year was going to be the first year I would say we were going to get an idea of HIS team since most of his guys would be in starting positions as Soph's/ Junior's. Vad Lee and all the exposure from Game Day were about as high nationally I would expect the Dukes to get and that was not going to be replicated next year. Probably similar to Mike London from UR to UVA but I would say that worked out much better for him. While the pay I'm sure is better, the job is a dead end unless he makes a team that has not been a force at any level in a decade plus a juggernaut, its where his HC career is going to die...

I must say, when you know you're at best the #2 choice for a Sun Belt HC job, you have to jump right? xlolx

BigHouseClosedEnd
January 6th, 2016, 10:57 PM
I heard from a good source that Randy Edsall is in play for the JMU job. Would be a solid hire, IMO.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 6th, 2016, 11:20 PM
I heard from a good source that Randy Edsall is in play for the JMU job. Would be a solid hire, IMO.

He has good football mind but he also seems to have a very prickly personality. He comes across as a poor man's Bo Pelini. I think the Dukes can do better than Edsell.

JMU should be an attractive gig imo. It has great facilities, strong fan/alumni support, beautiful location and a history of winning. My guess is the only drawback is a public Ivy type administration?

I wonder if Satterfield is having second thoughts about the TTU gig now that the JMU job is open. I thought he would have been a good fit at Delaware. JMU would have been a good spot too. The guy genuinely likes FCS football...

Lehigh Football Nation
January 7th, 2016, 12:10 AM
Withers is running from something. Which one is it?

1. JMU isn't going to go to FBS in the next 5-10 years?
2. Vad Lee was going to expose him as a so-so coach next season and his stock would never be as high as it is now?
3. Virginia legislation on schools pretty much guarantee cutting of subsides and $$$ to get recruits, wanted no part of that situation?
4. Something else that hasn't hit the fan?

Withers is a very good coach, and did a very good job of changing the culture at JMU. But this is a sudden lateral move at best. The suddenness is what really gets me. That and the fact that I think Texas State had already had two other HC candidates fall through, and at least one on salary. I'm not even sure it's a pay raise for Withers.

Bisonoline
January 7th, 2016, 12:44 AM

2. Vad Lee was going to expose him as a so-so coach next season and his stock would never be as high as it is now?
3. Virginia legislation on schools pretty much guarantee cutting of subsides and $$$ to get recruits, wanted no part of that situation?

Withers is a very good coach, and did a very good job of changing the culture at JMU. But this is a sudden lateral move at best. The suddenness is what really gets me. That and the fact that I think Texas State had already had two other HC candidates fall through, and at least one on salary. I'm not even sure it's a pay raise for Withers.

If he does anything positive at TSU it will look good on his resume and he ascends another step in the coaching ladder. Somethings dont need to over thought.

Daytripper
January 7th, 2016, 06:04 AM
I'm sure money had something to do with it. Rumor has it that TXSU was offering in the $600k-$750k range.

chattownmocs
January 7th, 2016, 06:35 AM
Why does KC Keelers name keep coming up? Wouldn't he have been in FBS a long time ago if he was desperate for an FBS job?

Sammy94
January 7th, 2016, 08:18 AM
I must say, when you know you're at best the #2 choice for a Sun Belt HC job, you have to jump right? xlolx

He was more like 5th choice after others turned them down for just an interview. The 600-700k range was only for Applewhite, no way Withers is close to that.

McNeese75
January 7th, 2016, 09:10 AM
Why does KC Keelers name keep coming up? Wouldn't he have been in FBS a long time ago if he was desperate for an FBS job?

No reason for his name to be thrown out for any FBS jobs. He would not thrive without access to FBS transfers. Texas State would have found that out pretty quickly (and may with Withers as well)

PurpleStreamers
January 7th, 2016, 10:30 AM

#1 above all, but 2 and 3 a part of it too. He was "promised" FBS when he came to JMU and JMU couldn't deliver as usual.

RootinFerDukes
January 7th, 2016, 02:20 PM

All of the reasons you listed apply. If you look at withers coaching resume, you'll see the man has flipped jobs every two years. It's not surprising. He was looking last year too. He's too busy thinking about himself and wanting to get a P5 gig at some point.
His hc career will end at Texas state. He won't see success there enough to be grabbed by a P5 school.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 7th, 2016, 04:20 PM
https://jamesmadison.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1843220

Withers had a five-year contract at James Madison, a deal that paid him $325,000 annually. Because Withers terminated his contract with JMU before Jan. 31, 2016, he owes the school $350,000.

Franchione made $427,000 last year at Texas State, and the new job likely means a pay raise for Withers - a fact Bourne understands.

If my math is right, this leads to a very interesting problem for Mr. Withers. Is Texas State buying out Withers' contract at JMU?

MR. CHICKEN
January 7th, 2016, 05:17 PM

.......xcoolx.....K.C....xcoolx.....WAS ON RECORD MANY TIMES OVERAH..........AS TA COACHIN' @ DELAWARE...WAS HIS DREAM JOB.......HE'D PROLLY...WOOD'VE STAYED IN NEW-ARK.....LIKE TUBBY.....GOT HIS OWN SCULPTURE BUST......WHIFF OURAH OTHERAH....HALL UH FAMER'S.......AN' RETIRED TA BUCOLIC LANDENBERG.....TA WATCH JANICE.....WRINKLE UP.....TA UH VERAH OL' AGE.......IFIN'....COACH BOHL.....WHOM....BUILT DUH GREEN MONSTERS UH FARGO.......COOD OWN-LAH GARNER DUH WY-OH-MIN' JOB.....&...CAREER ENDER.......GOTTAH WONDER...WHAA'S...IN DUH FOOTBALL God's PLAN.....FO'......KEELER....xcoolx..........WANTED : QB'S/WR'S/HEARTY FANS/SPICY MUSTARD.........................xwavexBROCK ON DUH BLOCK!xwavex

El Gato
January 7th, 2016, 10:22 PM
#1 above all, but 2 and 3 a part of it too. He was "promised" FBS when he came to JMU and JMU couldn't deliver as usual.

Yes. He mentioned this fact in the presser today. He said he was promised an FBS transition to JMU and was really looking forward to doing what Fran was going to do at TXST.

On the salary questions. Our beat writer tweeted the following:

Joe V reporting that Withers signed a 5 year, 3.5 millions dollar contract

2016 - $650K
2017 - $675K
2018 - $700K
2019 - $725K
2020 - $750K

So yes, a substantial pay raise.

Daytripper
January 8th, 2016, 07:46 AM
Yes. He mentioned this fact in the presser today. He said he was promised an FBS transition to JMU and was really looking forward to doing what Fran was going to do at TXST.

On the salary questions. Our beat writer tweeted the following:

Joe V reporting that Withers signed a 5 year, 3.5 millions dollar contract

2016 - $650K
2017 - $675K
2018 - $700K
2019 - $725K
2020 - $750K

So yes, a substantial pay raise.

If he delivers anything remotely resembling success, he will earn every penny.

heath
January 8th, 2016, 08:10 AM
Had timing been different, Withers leaving earlier or London stepping down(got fired basically) most of the UVa staff could have been at JMU. Personally, I would love to see Anthony Poindexter as JMU head coach. His resume is good, a high energy guy and has Virginia recruiting connections.

RootinFerDukes
January 18th, 2016, 11:23 AM
Jeff Hartsell ‏@Jeff_fromthePC (https://twitter.com/Jeff_fromthePC) 41m41 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/Jeff_fromthePC/status/689125250487824385)
I'm told by credible source citadel coach mike Houston is at JMU today. He very publicly hosted CID football recruits Saturday. Stay tuned