PDA

View Full Version : NDSU vs JSU Football only thread

centennial
December 31st, 2015, 05:08 PM
Since the other thread has a lot of mudslinging, this thread can just be for the football talk. Please go to the other thread if you want to talk smack. I'll start- watched JSU vs CSo, JSU vs Chatty. That defense is unique, JSU fans is it the 3-3-5? Looked like it to me. Also saw some interesting blocking on the line. I'll write a detailed post once I watch some of the JSU vs Auburn game.

JSUSoutherner
December 31st, 2015, 05:09 PM
We normally run 3-3-5 on the defense and pro-spread on the offense. Our offense, however, is very multiple. They run all sorts of stuff.

centennial
December 31st, 2015, 05:23 PM
We normally run 3-3-5 on the defense and pro-spread on the offense. Our offense, however, is very multiple. They run all sorts of stuff.
Agree. Seemed like a mash of few styles. Of course there are some base packages that you guys run, but it is a versatile offense. Similar to what ISUr in the valley runs with more variety thrown in.

JSUSoutherner
December 31st, 2015, 05:30 PM
Agree. Seemed like a mash of few styles. Of course there are some base packages that you guys run, but it is a versatile offense. Similar to what ISUr in the valley runs with more variety thrown in.
We just need to be one FG better than better than ISUr. xthumbsupx

But yeah, as Eli's arm got better the mantra grew into that we want to be able to run it when we want to run it and throw it when we want to throw it. So far it's pretty much worked that way. Perhaps JSU's most dangerous offensive quality is how many different ways they can move the ball.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 31st, 2015, 05:57 PM
For NDSU:

Hit the edges with the runs. I also think that the north/south runs right at the defense will work. JSU is too fast for jet sweep stuff.
Roll out passes to the flat.
TE passes in the middle also might be effective.
Play field position game. Make JSU drive the length of the field to score.

Disguise pass coverage.
Get pressure on Jenkins. Hopefully the Bison front 4 can control the LOS. If not, bring pressure. CBs need to play a good game. Tackle well.

For JSU:

Make ES beat you with his arm. Take away the run.
Start fast and keep the foot on the pedal.
Don't let NDSU get up early and let them grind out 10 minute scoring drives.
Attack NDSU's Tampa-2 with passes in the middle and seams.

In all honesty, JSU looks like Ill State from last year. Dual threat QB with a very good running back and solid defense.

I am excited to see this match up. I think JSU is going to try and get the ball to their athletes in the open and let them make plays. NDSU needs to make JSU 1-dimensional. If they run/pass when they want, then the Bison are in trouble.

IMO, I think the Bison will be able to grind out drives that will wear out the JSU defense. NDSU doesn't do anything fancy. Run the ball.....play good defense and do not beat yourself. Boring to some but very effective. It will probably be a close game.

Bison win!

centennial
December 31st, 2015, 07:07 PM
For NDSU-
O
The ability to run power on the JSU 3-3-5 hybrid defense. Our RB's will need to take advantage of the gaps without getting blown at the line. 3-3-5 is meant more for spread vs pro style. JSU doesn't run 4-3 as well, if we are able to force them to change to 4-3 because of power they will struggle the whole game.
We will need a short passing game similar to Richmond. IF Wentz plays, they will have to respect the pass more. Because the linebackers can crash in on to the run play, we will need to keep them on their heels.
Medium throws- If the linebackers are too aggressive we will need to throw the middle pass more
Formations- Mix up formations to confuse the defense
Do not turn over the ball
D
Prevent the big JSU plays. JSU lives on extending plays, we need make sure we tackle well.
We will need an occasional QB spy, or at least be assignment sound.
They are prone to blitzes from the weak side, we need to be aggressive

NDSU O vs JSU D- Adv NDSU
NDSU D vs JSU O- Tie
NDSU QB vs JSU QB - Adv to JSU if Wentz doesn't play, otherwise Adv NDSU
Kick return- Big advantage NDSU
JSU WR vs NDSU DB's- Adv JSU
NDSU WR vs JSU DB - Tie
NDSU kicking vs JSU kicking- Adv JSU

JSUSoutherner
December 31st, 2015, 07:15 PM
For NDSU-
O
The ability to run power on the JSU 3-3-5 hybrid defense. Our RB's will need to take advantage of the gaps without getting blown at the line. 3-3-5 is meant more for spread vs pro style. JSU doesn't run 4-3 as well, if we are able to force them to change to 4-3 because of power they will struggle the whole game.
We will need a short passing game similar to Richmond. IF Wentz plays, they will have to respect the pass more. Because the linebackers can crash in on to the run play, we will need to keep them on their heels.
Medium throws- If the linebackers are too aggressive we will need to throw the middle pass more
Formations- Mix up formations to confuse the defense
Do not turn over the ball
D
Prevent the big JSU plays. JSU lives on extending plays, we need make sure we tackle well.
We will need an occasional QB spy, or at least be assignment sound.
They are prone to blitzes from the weak side, we need to be aggressive

NDSU O vs JSU D- Adv NDSU
NDSU D vs JSU O- Tie
NDSU QB vs JSU QB - Adv to JSU if Wentz doesn't play, otherwise Adv NDSU
Kick return- Big advantage NDSU
JSU WR vs NDSU DB's- Adv JSU
NDSU WR vs JSU DB - Tie
This post is 100% spot on.

SeattleGriz
December 31st, 2015, 07:20 PM
NDSU vs JSU Football only!

- - - Updated - - -

NDSU vs JSU Football only x 2!

awBison
December 31st, 2015, 07:22 PM
I wouldn't automatically give JSU any advantage over NDSU defense. I know JSU offense is very good but so were the last
two offenses that we played and they got completely shut down.
Before the Richmond game everyone was saying the exact same thing about their offense.
One of the best passing offenses combined with two of the best RBs in the FCS.
At half-time they had rushed for exactly 1 yard.

If JSU's offense really does dominate NDSU's D we are in big trouble and will likely lose this game in a big way; but I've seen
this headline too many times before and good defenses often shut down good offenses. If the run
game gets shut down the pass game is all that is left. When that is all that is left turnovers happen.
I'm not convinced that JSU's offense will be as dominant as everyone says they will be once they play our D.
With that said, I've noticed that our D has had a few gaps that other teams have not been able to exploit a whole lot
just due to a lack of skill. JSU definitely has the skill to exploit those gaps if we don't have them shored up by
game time.

centennial
December 31st, 2015, 07:28 PM
I wouldn't automatically give JSU any advantage over NDSU defense. I know JSU offense is very good but so were the last two offenses that we played and they got completely shut down.
Before the Richmond game everyone was saying the exact same thing about their offense. One of the best passing offenses combined with two of the best RB in the FCS.
At half-time they had rushed for exactly 1 yard.
I've watched 4 JSU games. I think it is a good match up. It will come down to-
Jenkins rolling out and making short throws
If they can run the ball
Big plays

dewey
December 31st, 2015, 08:03 PM
Great idea on the football only thread and nice detailed write up. Did you find the JSU games on YouTube? If JSU runs a
3-3-5 defense how does their D-line look. It would seem to me if their NT can demand double teams it will allow more LB'S to make plays without the NDSU O lineman being all over them.

Sounds like the NDSU run game vs JSU could look very similar to what we saw against the Richmond D which IIRC ran the 3-3-5 defense. Hopefully we can the run the ball as effectively.

My prediction.
NDSU 28
JSU 17

Dewey

Bisonator
December 31st, 2015, 08:45 PM
Really? Just in FG kicking maybe. LeCompte is a weapon.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 31st, 2015, 08:48 PM

Yep. Klieman chooses to punt or go or it on those long ones instead of trying the FG, we're talking a completely different story.

centennial
December 31st, 2015, 08:53 PM

I meant FG, forgot punting but NDSU has that.

centennial
December 31st, 2015, 08:54 PM
Great idea on the football only thread and nice detailed write up. Did you find the JSU games on YouTube? If JSU runs a
3-3-5 defense how does their D-line look. It would seem to me if their NT can demand double teams it will allow more LB'S to make plays without the NDSU O lineman being all over them.

Sounds like the NDSU run game vs JSU could look very similar to what we saw against the Richmond D which IIRC ran the 3-3-5 defense. Hopefully we can the run the ball as effectively.

My prediction.
NDSU 28
JSU 17

Dewey
All games on YouTube. I'll post the links tomorrow. Also on watch ESPN.

Bisonoline
December 31st, 2015, 09:32 PM
I would stretch the field and run off the tackes and power wide to get those big boys moving sideline to sideline . Wear them down a little.

gumby013
December 31st, 2015, 09:39 PM
I would stretch the field and run off the tackes and power wide to get those big boys moving sideline to sideline . Wear them down a little.

In JSU's base D, their linemen don't have edge responsibilities. That falls to the linebackers/bandit.

centennial
December 31st, 2015, 09:45 PM
In JSU's base D, their linemen don't have edge responsibilities. That falls to the linebackers/bandit.
Add to that linebackers have a lot of gap responsibilities. They have that extra second to see where the RB is going. NDSU will need lead blockers, and perhaps pulling guards to overload. Zone blocking will not work well against JSU.

Bisonoline
December 31st, 2015, 09:45 PM

Are there LBs as good as UNI?

Bisonator
December 31st, 2015, 10:27 PM

Our guards have to be licking their chops.:D

gumby013
December 31st, 2015, 10:44 PM
Add to that linebackers have a lot of gap responsibilities. They have that extra second to see where the RB is going. NDSU will need lead blockers, and perhaps pulling guards to overload. Zone blocking will not work well against JSU.

I think we will see a lot of pulling linemen and the delta formation for this very reason.

dewey
December 31st, 2015, 10:51 PM

Dang I hope not. Freaking Farley and McMackin are studs.

Dewey

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 1st, 2016, 06:58 AM
I think we will see a lot of pulling linemen and the delta formation for this very reason.

Agree.

Overload the edge with pulling OL and FB/TE

- - - Updated - - -

From what I have saw on JSU games....no.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep...agree 100%

- - - Updated - - -

Agree!

MR. CHICKEN
January 1st, 2016, 08:29 AM
....IT'LL COME DOWN TA TACKLING FO' JAX.....AS DUH BIZONSSSSS......EXCEL...IN BREAKIN' 'EM....AN' FO God's SAKE......GO RUGBY ON PUNTS...AN' KEEP DAT RETURNER.....FROM KNOCKIN' YA'S OUT.........xwavexBYE BYE BROCKxwavex

JSUSoutherner
January 1st, 2016, 10:33 AM
Our guards have to be licking their chops.:D
I'm sure they will have enough to satisfy their hunger between Landrum and Jackson on the DL. Those two have been huge for us this year.

gumby013
January 1st, 2016, 11:25 AM
I'm sure they will have enough to satisfy their hunger between Landrum and Jackson on the DL. Those two have been huge for us this year.

What we are saying is that our guards will be pulling frequently to get around your linemen; to take on a linebacker/safety/bandit on the edge.

JSUSoutherner
January 1st, 2016, 11:32 AM
What we are saying is that our guards will be pulling frequently to get around your linemen; to take on a linebacker/safety/bandit on the edge.

Gotcha. Misread.

Bisonator
January 1st, 2016, 11:32 AM
Our tackles will neutralize those 2 as our guards pull around to pancake your LB's. Go watch our Richmond game you'll see similar plays on the 9th. JSU will know exactly whats coming it's up to them to stop it for 4 quarters. We'll see if they are up to the task.

centennial
January 1st, 2016, 11:58 AM
Our tackles will neutralize those 2 as our guards pull around to pancake your LB's. Go watch our Richmond game you'll see similar plays on the 9th. JSU will know exactly whats coming it's up to them to stop it for 4 quarters. We'll see if they are up to the task.
The art of creating mismatches- when our linemen go against JSU linebackers.

mamberso
January 1st, 2016, 12:22 PM
You can see all of the JSU game at ovcdigitalnetwork.com, YouTube, or Watch ESPN.

caribbeanhen
January 1st, 2016, 07:24 PM
if I was Jacksonville State I would fill the air with so many football the Duck Hunters would show up, the Blue Angels as in Air show, UFO sightings over Frisco,
Hitchcocks the Birds remake, the list goes on and on but Josh Barge should be the difference in this game

NoDak 4 Ever
January 1st, 2016, 08:05 PM
if I was Jacksonville State I would fill the air with so many football the Duck Hunters would show up, the Blue Angels as in Air show, UFO sightings over Frisco,
Hitchcocks the Birds remake, the list goes on and on but Josh Barge should be the difference in this game

I remember Kyle Lauletta's plan was something like that.

X-Factor
January 1st, 2016, 09:11 PM
CJ Smith will likely be tasked with covering Barge. I can't guarantee all game, but when he is on Barge I would look elsewhere if I was JSU.

JSUSoutherner
January 1st, 2016, 10:35 PM
CJ Smith will likely be tasked with covering Barge. I can't guarantee all game, but when he is on Barge I would look elsewhere if I was JSU.
I wouldn't. Barge and Gonzalez all day.

awBison
January 1st, 2016, 11:47 PM

Do that and this game will likely be over quickly. You might get a big play but interceptions will be the story of the game if that's your strategy.

awBison
January 1st, 2016, 11:49 PM
I wouldn't. Barge and Gonzalez all day.

Many have tried that too. I have not seen success going against CJ from any receiver.
Others on the team yes, but not CJ.

JSUSoutherner
January 1st, 2016, 11:51 PM
Many have tried that too. I have not seen success going against CJ from any receiver.
Others on the team yes, but not CJ.

Barge and CJ will be fun to watch. I really feel Barge will be able to beat him for the ball. Either way, we still have Gonzalez, Screws, and Merrill that can make plays. CJ can't be everywhere at once.

X-Factor
January 2nd, 2016, 12:39 AM
Talent on the Bison defense is well distributed. There are few weak links right now but you could say CB > Safety this year. CJ is by far the most talented in the secondary, but the other guys have come a long way this season. Fortunatley there is only 1 Barge, so its not like we need more than 1 CJ. Our d - line may be our biggest threat to a passing game. The JSU oline vs our Dline should be a fun matchup to watch. Even UNI couldnt stop the rush in the quarterfinals. In the regular season I'd say they were the only team to really match up with us in the trench on that side.

Bisonwinagn
January 2nd, 2016, 01:14 AM

I wouldn't be surprised to see JSU throw 15-20 deep throw's meaning over 20 yards. (IF they have time of course). I think NDSU will play the same defense they used against UNI to stop the run which could also get pressure on the QB. The deep pass could determine the game as in catches, interference calls, or interceptions and most likely all three. NDSU should be able to run the ball eventually even if they get shut out the first quarter. Stick should run 15 times this game if the pulling guards don't work.

Houndawg
January 2nd, 2016, 07:21 AM
NDSU will cruise to an easy win.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 2nd, 2016, 07:27 AM

How?

Grinding out drives?

NoDak 4 Ever
January 2nd, 2016, 08:06 AM
How?

Grinding out drives?

I think so. Getting off the field on 3rd down and sustaining long drives. It really worked against Richmond and they also had a ton of weapons.

MR. CHICKEN
January 2nd, 2016, 08:22 AM

...........DUH MUD....JES' HIT DUH FAN...:(...............xwavexBYE BYE BRAWK!xwavex

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 2nd, 2016, 09:37 AM
I think so. Getting off the field on 3rd down and sustaining long drives. It really worked against Richmond and they also had a ton of weapons.

Recipe for success!

NDSU's 3rd down defense is .258

uni88
January 2nd, 2016, 09:52 AM
Talent on the Bison defense is well distributed. There are few weak links right now but you could say CB > Safety this year. CJ is by far the most talented in the secondary, but the other guys have come a long way this season. Fortunatley there is only 1 Barge, so its not like we need more than 1 CJ. Our d - line may be our biggest threat to a passing game. The JSU oline vs our Dline should be a fun matchup to watch. Even UNI couldnt stop the rush in the quarterfinals. In the regular season I'd say they were the only team to really match up with us in the trench on that side.

From what I've seen, JSU has a pretty good O-Line (similar to ISUr last year) so that should be a good matchup. Barge vs. Smith is going to be fun to watch as well. I think DeLuca and the LB core will be the x-factor that decides the game defensively for the Bison. It will be close but if I'm a Bison fan I feel pretty good if the game is on DeLuca's shoulders.

JSUSoutherner
January 2nd, 2016, 10:14 AM
From what I've seen, JSU has a pretty good O-Line (similar to ISUr last year) so that should be a good matchup. Barge vs. Smith is going to be fun to watch as well. I think DeLuca and the LB core will be the x-factor that decides the game defensively for the Bison. It will be close but if I'm a Bison fan I feel pretty good if the game is on DeLuca's shoulders.
After seeing how our O-Line handled PJ Hall and Noah Spense I'm not too worried about individuals. What worries me is how well as a unit NDSU plays on defense. From what I've seen they are very on their game as a unit. I don't think one individual will be the decider in this game.

uni88
January 2nd, 2016, 10:28 AM
After seeing how our O-Line handled PJ Hall and Noah Spense I'm not too worried about individuals. What worries me is how well as a unit NDSU plays on defense. From what I've seen they are very on their game as a unit. I don't think one individual will be the decider in this game.

We're not that far apart. The Bison as a team play very disciplined and team-oriented football. The JSU O-Line vs. the NDSU D-Line will be a great matchup and they will likely cancel each other out for the most part. Same with Wideouts vs. D-Backs with an emphasis on the Barge vs. Smith battle for great theater. The Bison LBs are good with DeLuca being the cream of the crop. The LBs can augment the rush or drop back in coverage. DeLuca is a stud with a high motor and a nose for the ball. He and the other LBs can make a difference especially if other elements cancel each other out.

JSUSoutherner
January 2nd, 2016, 10:30 AM
We're not that far apart. The Bison as a team play very disciplined and team-oriented football. The JSU O-Line vs. the NDSU D-Line will be a great matchup and they will likely cancel each other out for the most part. Same with Wideouts vs. D-Backs with an emphasis on the Barge vs. Smith battle for great theater. The Bison LBs are good with DeLuca being the cream of the crop. The LBs can augment the rush or drop back in coverage. DeLuca is a stud with a high motor and a nose for the ball. He and the other LBs can make a difference especially if other elements cancel each other out.

I really feel our receivers have the edge over the Bison DBs. Gonzalez is just as good as Barge and he won't have Smith on him. I feel like the LBs will be split between pass coverage and run coverage and if they make the wrong decision too often they will be burned for it.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 2nd, 2016, 11:03 AM
I'll just believe it when I see it. This is EXACTLY the same thing everyone says.

JSUSoutherner
January 2nd, 2016, 11:13 AM
I'll just believe it when I see it. This is EXACTLY the same thing everyone says.
I know, I know. You're right, we will see on the ninth. Just because you've heard it before doesn't mean it can't happen though. You've never heard it from us. ;)

NoDak 4 Ever
January 2nd, 2016, 11:17 AM
I know, I know. You're right, we will see on the ninth. Just because you've heard it before doesn't mean it can't happen though. You've never heard it from us. ;)

To be perfectly honest, there's a reason for that. You haven't been good enough to make it this far.

JSUSoutherner
January 2nd, 2016, 11:18 AM
To be perfectly honest, there's a reason for that. You haven't been good enough to make it this far.

You don't say?

No matter who makes it this far, you're going to hear stuff like that from them. Plus, we were obviously good enough this year and that's all that matters right now.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 2nd, 2016, 11:27 AM
You don't say?

No matter who makes it this far, you're going to hear stuff like that from them. Plus, we were obviously good enough this year and that's all that matters right now.

Once again, you can thank the committee for not giving you a single MVFC team on your side of the bracket.

JSUSoutherner
January 2nd, 2016, 11:28 AM
Once again, you can thank the committee for not giving you a single MVFC team on your side of the bracket.

I really don't think it would have mattered.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 2nd, 2016, 11:30 AM
I really don't think it would have mattered.

Of course you don't. You think winning the OVC is an accomplishment.

JSUSoutherner
January 2nd, 2016, 11:31 AM
Of course you don't. You think winning the OVC is an accomplishment.

Not particularly.

X-Factor
January 2nd, 2016, 11:54 AM
Ok guys. Back to football. This is the football only thread, remember?

NoDak 4 Ever
January 2nd, 2016, 11:58 AM
Ok guys. Back to football. This is the football only thread, remember?

OK. Football. JSU will be held to a season low in yardage, just like everyone else in the playoffs against NDSU.

JSUSoutherner
January 2nd, 2016, 12:03 PM
OK. Football. JSU will be held to a season low in yardage, just like everyone else in the playoffs against NDSU.
You know that 384 yards would be a season low for us, right?

X-Factor
January 2nd, 2016, 12:05 PM
That would be a safe bet. Will it be enough? I hope Stick is as accurate as he was in the Richmond game to augment our power run.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 2nd, 2016, 12:19 PM
In the playoffs (you can't deny that the D is absolutely dialed in now), NDSU has held their opponents to an average about about 53% of their regular season yardage.

Montana 422/235
UNI 381/221
Richmond 452/209

NDSUtk
January 2nd, 2016, 12:58 PM
I really feel our receivers have the edge over the Bison DBs. Gonzalez is just as good as Barge and he won't have Smith on him. I feel like the LBs will be split between pass coverage and run coverage and if they make the wrong decision too often they will be burned for it.
This is my largest concern. While we have to respect Pope, I feel comfortable with us stopping him.

However, Barge (6'1") and Gonzalez (6'3") are taller than the Montana duo that burned Champion the first week. I realize it was week zero and Champion wasn't playing his normal spot.

CJ can play big, and is 5'11" so not giving up much. Unfortunately, Champion has been made to look foolish more than once this year. And at 5'9" he is giving up some major height if matched against Gonzalez. The safeties over top are going to be key to help Champion in my opinion.

BisonTru
January 2nd, 2016, 01:08 PM

Sorry I just don't think your WRs are that good. I think they are pretty comparable to ours. Ok speed and height and can make some plays on the ball. Honestly I don't think Barge is good enough to warrant Smith only coverage. JMO.

I'm a lot more concerned with Pope and Jenkins with his legs. The team that wins the trenches and has more success running will have the edge. The more skewed those battles the more lopsided of a game we will have.

caribbeanhen
January 2nd, 2016, 03:44 PM
Jacksonville State is better, probably much better than Richmond

centennial
January 2nd, 2016, 03:53 PM
Jacksonville State is better, probably much better than Richmond
You don't add anything of quality except for quick rhetoric. Please post here- http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?179299-National-Championship-NDSU-vs-Jacksonville-State/page72

Schism55
January 2nd, 2016, 03:55 PM
NDSU is much better, we KNOW much better than Richmond

NoDak 4 Ever
January 2nd, 2016, 03:57 PM
Who really cares who posts where? Neither of these threads are getting a ton of traffic. This might be the most boring championship week ever.

JSUSoutherner
January 2nd, 2016, 05:33 PM
Who really cares who posts where? Neither of these threads are getting a ton of traffic. This might be the most boring championship week ever.
It's because the taste of NDSU is getting stale. :D

NoDak 4 Ever
January 2nd, 2016, 05:48 PM
It's because the taste of NDSU is getting stale. :D

Any truth to the rumor that you didn't sell out your allotment?

Bisonator
January 2nd, 2016, 05:58 PM
Sorry I just don't think your WRs are that good. I think they are pretty comparable to ours. Ok speed and height and can make some plays on the ball. Honestly I don't think Barge is good enough to warrant Smith only coverage. JMO.

I'm a lot more concerned with Pope and Jenkins with his legs. The team that wins the trenches and has more success running will have the edge. The more skewed those battles the more lopsided of a game we will have.
I agree with you. The Bison don't get beat by WR too often. Sure maybe a big play here or there but you won't consistently beat the Bison if you can't run the ball. If Jenkins and or Pope can't make gains on the ground to pull the safeties up our D will smother them. See the second half of the YSU game when the defense adjusted to limit Webb. I think the bigger mismatch is going to be JSU's defense against NDSU's offense. IMO they will not be able to handle our power run game. It'll be a slow painful death for their D if they let us eat 4 yards a play.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 2nd, 2016, 06:08 PM
I agree with you. The Bison don't get beat by WR too often. Sure maybe a big play here or there but you won't consistently beat the Bison if you can't run the ball. If Jenkins and or Pope can't make gains on the ground to pull the safeties up our D will smother them. See the second half of the YSU game when the defense adjusted to limit Webb. I think the bigger mismatch is going to be JSU's defense against NDSU's offense. IMO they will not be able to handle our power run game. It'll be a slow painful death for their D if they let us eat 4 yards a play.

It happened once. When CJ was out and Robbie Grimsley was playing his first collegiate game ever. This team has grown so much in the last 4 months.

Bisonator
January 2nd, 2016, 06:09 PM
It happened once. When CJ was out and Robbie Grimsley was playing his first collegiate game ever. This team has grown so much in the last 4 months.
Yeah a lot factored into that game. It was an anomaly.

centennial
January 2nd, 2016, 06:12 PM
Yeah a lot factored into that game. It was an anomaly.
Seeing Montana before helped us quite a bit into out-scheming them. I think our defense has improve significantly from the start of the year.

JSUSoutherner
January 2nd, 2016, 08:20 PM
Any truth to the rumor that you didn't sell out your allotment?

To my knowledge, they were split, some to the public, and some went to the student lottery. The public portion sold out, after two lotteries, some kids didn't pick up their tickets. The few extra lottery tickets being rereleased as public is what generated the "we didn't sell our allotment" rumor.

I'm not sure of the current ticket status. Haven't needed to follow it. My tickets were reserved in the spring when I signed up for band. I'm getting paid to go to the game. 👍🏼

NoDak 4 Ever
January 2nd, 2016, 08:31 PM
To my knowledge, they were split, some to the public, and some went to the student lottery. The public portion sold out, after two lotteries, some kids didn't pick up their tickets. The few extra lottery tickets being rereleased as public is what generated the "we didn't sell our allotment" rumor.

I'm not sure of the current ticket status. Haven't needed to follow it. My tickets were reserved in the spring when I signed up for band. I'm getting paid to go to the game. 

If you didn't sell all the tickets you were given by the NCAA yet, you didn't sell your allotment.

JSUSoutherner
January 2nd, 2016, 08:36 PM
If you didn't sell all the tickets you were given by the NCAA yet, you didn't sell your allotment.

They may have been sold by now, I'm not sure. The lottery tickets were rereleased last week.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 2nd, 2016, 08:39 PM
They may have been sold by now, I'm not sure. The lottery tickets were rereleased last week.

So if I call Monday morning and there are still tickets, does that mean you didn't sell your allotment?

If not, will you have even 4k there?

JSUSoutherner
January 2nd, 2016, 08:41 PM
So if I call Monday morning and there are still tickets, does that mean you didn't sell your allotment?

If not, will you have even 4k there?

Yes, that would be what it means. Like I said, I don't know the current situation.

awBison
January 2nd, 2016, 10:47 PM

I disagree is the bold part. This year has been really bad overall with the mid to long ball coverage. I've seen a lot of plays where other teams have gotten really good separation from us downfield. Most teams we've played so far have not had the talent to get the ball to those wide open receivers. In some cases it was because their O-lines didn't hold up long enough but in most cases the QB's just were not good enough to deliver the ball. This is the one part of the JSU game that really concerns me. They are good enough to take advantage of this if it isn't shored up by game time. Many of our guys play the receiver and not the ball (obviously I'm not talking about CJ). That will not be good enough against JSU. They will make us pay if that's what happens. JSU's QB and receivers really are great. I think that we have the ability to completely shut down their run game if we can keep the pass game in check. I'm not too concerned about their ability to run. The pass game might be a different story though. We have improved in this area but I still saw it in recent games.

BisonTru
January 2nd, 2016, 11:00 PM
I disagree is the bold part. This year has been really bad overall with the mid to long ball coverage. I've seen a lot of plays where other teams have gotten really good separation from us downfield. Most teams we've played so far have not had the talent to get the ball to those wide open receivers. In some cases it was because their O-lines didn't hold up long enough but in most cases the QB's just were not good enough to deliver the ball. This is the one part of the JSU game that really concerns me. They are good enough to take advantage of this if it isn't shored up by game time. Many of our guys play the receiver and not the ball (obviously I'm not talking about CJ). That will not be good enough against JSU. They will make us pay if that's what happens. JSU's QB and receivers really are great. I think that we have the ability to completely shut down their run game if we can keep the pass game in check. I'm not too concerned about their ability to run. The pass game might be a different story though. We have improved in this area but I still saw it in recent games.

Completely disagree, we just shut down Montana and Gus, Jones, Henderson, and company. That group is far superior to JSU, JMHO. I am concerned about Pope and the JSU running attack. I think we may be able to shut the running game down, but you just don't know till you get the big uglies on the field and see how that battle starts to pan out. Barge, Gonzalez, Scews, Jenkins (passing ability), doesn't scare me at all.

JSUSoutherner
January 2nd, 2016, 11:08 PM
Completely disagree, we just shut down Montana and Gus, Jones, Henderson, and company. That group is far superior to JSU, JMHO. I am concerned about Pope and the JSU running attack. I think we may be able to shut the running game down, but you just don't know till you get the big uglies on the field and see how that battle starts to pan out. Barge, Gonzalez, Scews, Jenkins (passing ability), doesn't scare me at all.
It should. You guys shut Montana down with your pass rush, not your secondary. You guys will have to be all up in Jenkins' grill to mess him up. I don't see it happening enough to be a factor.

Jenkins is a lot more mobile than Gustafon, he's cool under pressure/ on the run, and he sits behind a better O-Line than Montana.

BisonTru
January 2nd, 2016, 11:25 PM
It should. You guys shut Montana down with your pass rush, not your secondary. You guys will have to be all up in Jenkins' grill to mess him up. I don't see it happening enough to be a factor.

Jenkins is a lot more mobile than Gustafon, he's cool under pressure/ on the run, and he sits behind a better O-Line than Montana.

Well it doesn't.

No doubt Jenkins is a lot more mobile than Gustafson. Hell, Gustafson has the mobility of Peyton Manning. But he also is a lot closer in the accuracy department to Manning than Jenkins is. I'm not even concerned if we can get a pass rush or not. Jenkins tends to look at his first option and fire and most of the time down the field Barge and Gonzalez don't have much separation.

The two positives I'll add is Barge and to a lesser degree Gonzalez do play the ball very well in the air and Jenkins has plenty of arm strength. Nonetheless, not concerned about the passing game, get Pope and Jenkins (read option stuff) making big plays and the Cocks could walk away victorious.

Redbirdz
January 2nd, 2016, 11:25 PM

Then you must live on another planet. They are the best you will have seen all year.

BisonTru
January 2nd, 2016, 11:35 PM
Then you must live on another planet. They are the best you will have seen all year.

I like your name, it's fitting.

*Also, quoted for future reference.

ming01
January 3rd, 2016, 01:47 AM

This defense runs through Deluca. If it weren't for him, itd probably be pretty average

frozennorth
January 3rd, 2016, 03:19 AM
teams that I would pin against NDSU right now:

1996 Marshal, 2013 NDSU

That's it.

caribbeanhen
January 3rd, 2016, 06:23 AM
Sorry I just don't think your WRs are that good. I think they are pretty comparable to ours.

now that's funny, I know you don't really mean that..... do you?

caribbeanhen
January 3rd, 2016, 06:27 AM

and now this! if Coastal Carolina can come to the Dome and move the ball up and down the field, why don't you think Jacksonville State will outside of Fargo?

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 3rd, 2016, 06:47 AM
This defense runs through Deluca. If it weren't for him, itd probably be pretty average

This defense plays as a unit. DeLuca is AA material, but is just one piece of a very good defense.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 3rd, 2016, 07:08 AM

Maybe so, we'll see on Saturday.

Defensively....UNI is the best team I have seen so far and it isn't even close. JSU's looks good on TV from what I have seen so far.

CockyGeek
January 3rd, 2016, 10:15 AM
These are two teams playing each other. Not NDSU vs. Some Guys on JSU's squad. I'm glad there's all this cohesiveness on your defense, but we are used to playing 11 on 11 too.

The Grass is greener in Jacksonville

BisonTru
January 3rd, 2016, 10:51 AM
and now this! if Coastal Carolina can come to the Dome and move the ball up and down the field, why don't you think Jacksonville State will outside of Fargo?

Well, you guys get tired of us talking about past seasons, let's start out with that was last season.

Also, Ross and company were better in the passing game, IMHO.

Now, let's move into this year, Richmond and Montana were better passing teams than JSU, again JMHO, we'll see in less than a week. The team that can run the ball and play good defense wins the game. The only exception to that I see, is IF Wentz plays, and IF he can perform at pre-injury levels, and IF we need him too.

caribbeanhen
January 3rd, 2016, 11:31 AM
Well, you guys get tired of us talking about past seasons, let's start out with that was last season.

Also, Ross and company were better in the passing game, IMHO.

Now, let's move into this year, Richmond and Montana were better passing teams than JSU, again JMHO, we'll see in less than a week. The team that can run the ball and play good defense wins the game. The only exception to that I see, is IF Wentz plays, and IF he can perform at pre-injury levels, and IF we need him too.

why do you say that? I have no idea what the stat sheet says but I know what my eyes tell me..... the key to the game will be who has the ball last...

look for a high scoring game, Will Jacksonville State be able to get key stops? I wouldn't bet on that,

Will North Dak State shut down the high powered Jacksonville State offense? I don't think so but we shall soon see

BisonTru
January 3rd, 2016, 11:38 AM
why do you say that? I have no idea what the stat sheet says but I know what my eyes tell me..... the key to the game will be who has the ball last...

look for a high scoring game, Will Jacksonville State be able to get key stops? I wouldn't bet on that,

Will North Dak State shut down the high powered Jacksonville State offense? I don't think so but we shall soon see

Not using the stat sheet as well. From what I've seen from all three is that both Lauletta and Gustafson are better passers than Jenkins and Montana's WRs are also better. Just my eyeball test having watched a handful of match ups of all three. Now, I'll also say JSU has the edge in the running game over the other two. If they can run the ball that will give them an edge in the passing game. If either team struggles to run the ball and the other doesn't this game will get ugly.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 3rd, 2016, 11:50 AM

Did you also say the same thing in 2011 about Sam Houston State?

TheKingpin28
January 3rd, 2016, 12:31 PM
35-20 NDSU.

It will end up being very similar to the Richmond game. With a 75-80% NDSU contingent and them playing at "home," (yet again), I would not be surprised if JSU panics and collapses under pressure. I had made that pick at the start of the tournament, but I could easily see it being 35-13 after what,I've seen NDSU do VS what I expected JSU to do. Besides the SHSU game, I have been unimpressed by what they did against CSU and Chatty. Call me an arrogant MVFC/NDSU homer, but I've said it before and I'll say it again, the whole "you haven't seen this before," "Southern Speed," "etc..." arguments are old and I wouldn't be surprised if this game is SHSU part 2 or the Towson game all over again.

I wish they would have put UNI on the other side and that SDSU would have won. It would have been nice to see a more balanced schedule but congrats to JSU for making it this far.

caribbeanhen
January 3rd, 2016, 12:59 PM
Did you also say the same thing in 2011 about Sam Houston State?

No, Sammy fans will vouch for me that I've never had much nice to say about them haha

Bisonator
January 3rd, 2016, 01:03 PM
The game will be won or lost in the trenches like always. We'll see if JSU can hang in there for 4 quarters. I don't think they can so 35-21 Bison win one for the thumb.

caribbeanhen
January 3rd, 2016, 01:06 PM
Not using the stat sheet as well. From what I've seen from all three is that both Lauletta and Gustafson are better passers than Jenkins and Montana's WRs are also better. Just my eyeball test having watched a handful of match ups of all three. Now, I'll also say JSU has the edge in the running game over the other two. If they can run the ball that will give them an edge in the passing game. If either team struggles to run the ball and the other doesn't this game will get ugly.

ok, we disagree but that's ok. Let me ask you this, How much does the Fargo Dome noise take other teams out of there passing games? And I'm just not talking about false starts, doesn't the noise cause the receivers to hesitate a split second more coming off the snap? That split second is all it takes to take a team out of synch.....

I don't think your giving Barge enough credit, ask Auburn what they think about him

NoDak 4 Ever
January 3rd, 2016, 01:07 PM
No, Sammy fans will vouch for me that I've never had much nice to say about them haha
I remember a lot of people did. Undefeated 40 ppg #1 offense couldn't possibly be stopped.

Of course, schedule about as tough as wet toilet paper looked a lot better before the NC game.

I see a lot of parallels

JSUSoutherner
January 3rd, 2016, 01:07 PM
The game will be won or lost in the trenches like always. We'll see if JSU can hang in there for 4 quarters. I don't think they can so 35-21 Bison win one for the thumb.
You score points in the end zones, not the trenches. ;)

I remember a lot of people did. Undefeated 40 ppg #1 offense couldn't possibly be stopped.
Wasn't Sammy supposed to have a better offense than us this year, too? That's what they were preaching to us three weeks ago.

They ran all over our defense, right? My memory is a bit fuzzy.

TennBison
January 3rd, 2016, 01:09 PM

Why does anyone say anything? No matter who makes the odds for this game and no matter who says what team is going to win and why, it is all based on opinion. No matter if it is someone from ESPN, Las Vegas, JSU or NDSU fans. There is no history that makes a difference today, no real common opponent (unless you want to go into this team played that team who played another team that played them). So what if JSU is ranked higher (someones opinion), NDSU is picked to win (someones opinion). JSU on paper has a better offense, NDSU on paper has a better defense. JSU wants to throw any experience that NDSU has with this game out the window saying it does not matter, NDSU and most experts think otherwise. The whole game is a big question mark.
I myself like NDSU because of the style of play, keep it on the ground and tire them out, keep JSUs offense off the field. If TOP favors NDSU with 35 minutes of TOP NDSU should win based on their MO (and the fact that it means the game is going the way NDSU wants it to). The coaching staff for NDSU has this routine all figured out, no real guess work involved JSU needs to figure things out a little and that gives NDSU time to work on other things. I look forward to a good game either way.

caribbeanhen
January 3rd, 2016, 01:10 PM

Of course, schedule about as tough as wet toilet paper looked a lot better before the NC game.

I see a lot of parallels

I was shocked to see Sammy in the Finals given Twiggy was the QB those 2 years.... Jacksonville State is no Sammy

caribbeanhen
January 3rd, 2016, 01:11 PM
Why does anyone say anything? No matter who makes the odds for this game and no matter who says what team is going to win and why, it is all based on opinion. No matter if it is someone from ESPN, Las Vegas, JSU or NDSU fans. There is no history that makes a difference today, no real common opponent (unless you want to go into this team played that team who played another team that played them). So what if JSU is ranked higher (someones opinion), NDSU is picked to win (someones opinion). JSU on paper has a better offense, NDSU on paper has a better defense. JSU wants to throw any experience that NDSU has with this game out the window saying it does not matter, NDSU and most experts think otherwise. The whole game is a big question mark.
I myself like NDSU because of the style of play, keep it on the ground and tire them out, keep JSUs offense off the field. If TOP favors NDSU with 35 minutes of TOP NDSU should win based on their MO (and the fact that it means the game is going the way NDSU wants it to). The coaching staff for NDSU has this routine all figured out, no real guess work involved JSU needs to figure things out a little and that gives NDSU time to work on other things. I look forward to a good game either way.

That's right, I wanted to hear what formed his opinion.....

Bison56
January 3rd, 2016, 01:12 PM
JSU cannot stop the run period.

BisonTru
January 3rd, 2016, 01:13 PM
ok, we disagree but that's ok. Let me ask you this, How much does the Fargo Dome noise take other teams out of there passing games? And I'm just not talking about false starts, doesn't the noise cause the receivers to hesitate a split second more coming off the snap? That split second is all it takes to take a team out of synch.....

I don't think your giving Barge enough credit, ask Auburn what they think about him

Absolutely crowd noise affects the passing game as you mentioned it holds the WRs up a millisecond as well as allows the defense to hold up disguised coverages longer.

Here's the kicker it's going to be loud in Frisco as well. We'll only have 15000 there and it's open air, but grandma who reads her book on defensive downs doesnt make the trek down there.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 3rd, 2016, 01:22 PM
Absolutely crowd noise affects the passing game as you mentioned it holds the WRs up a millisecond as well as allows the defense to hold up disguised coverages longer.

Here's the kicker it's going to be loud in Frisco as well. We'll only have 15000 there and it's open air, but grandma who reads her book on defensive downs doesnt make the trek down there.

I was saying this about the DII game I was at a couple weeks ago in KC. There were only about 17k there and it was overwhelmingly for NW Mo State and they were loud. Like really loud. I can't say definitively if it affected the play but we were at field level and I noticed it.

caribbeanhen
January 3rd, 2016, 01:22 PM

Well I have no doubt you Bisons will make some noise, but it wont be Fargo Dome noise..... will it?

NoDak 4 Ever
January 3rd, 2016, 01:23 PM
I was shocked to see Sammy in the Finals given Twiggy was the QB those 2 years.... Jacksonville State is no Sammy

Who knows? When you play **** competition all year, you never know how good you are or aren't.

Twiggy threw as many TD's that year as Leeroy Jenkins did this year.

BisonTru
January 3rd, 2016, 01:24 PM
Well I have no doubt you Bisons will make some noise, but it wont be Fargo Dome noise..... will it?

It will be loud enough the WR need to watch the snap and the d backs can hold coverages. Will silent counts be needed, maybe.

caribbeanhen
January 3rd, 2016, 01:56 PM
Who knows? When you play **** competition all year, you never know how good you are or aren't.

not sure what team your ****ty competition comment is targeted for, but Jacksonville state did play Auburn this year

NoDak 4 Ever
January 3rd, 2016, 01:58 PM
not sure what team your ****ty competition comment is targeted for, but Jacksonville state did play Auburn this year

So we heard.

they also played a half dozen teams in the 200+ Sagarin neighborhood.

JSUSoutherner
January 3rd, 2016, 02:13 PM
So we heard.

they also played a half dozen teams in the 200+ Sagarin neighborhood.
At least we didn't lose to the Sagarin equivalent of Eastern Kentucky.

Big_Fan
January 3rd, 2016, 02:22 PM
JSU cannot stop the run period.

I quit posting on here because of garbage posts like that.

From reading your comments, one would come to the conclusion that NDSU's defense had given up half as many yards on the ground as JSU.

They actually average 15 yards less per game. In the playoffs, JSU played 3 teams in the top 20 in rushing offense. NDSU played UNI. Richmond is 31, Montana 73. Yeah...Chuck South lit us up with the option. Huesman runs a 4.4/40, and broke containment for a couple of 50 yard runs.

JSU's run defense is as good as NDSU's. Talk all the trash you want, but I wouldn't trade DL's with NDSU. Prior to playing against an option offense, and giving up a couple of long runs to Huesman, JSU's run defense was ranked higher - in spite of playing an FBS team. NDSU had the same number of teams go for over 200 yards against them that JSU had, and the 277 UNI put on you was more than any team put on JSU. UNI did that while only completing 8 passes.

I know your answer... MVFC! You can stuff that at this point in the season. We beat the SoCon champ twice, the Big South Champ, and the SFL runner-up (who beat the champ in the playoffs). We played the #2 ranked total defense in the country (who had shut down the vaunted Citadel option attack) and put up 500 yards rushing on them. We played the #1 ranked offense in the country that had dropped 45 on Texas Tech, and beaten SUU and (JMU killer) Colgate - and we shut them down.

Saying that JSU can't stop the run is about as ridiculous as half of the other comments coming from you. If the Bison run all over us, it won't be because we can't stop the run. It will be because we couldn't stop NDSU from running. No team running a pro style offense has run the ball on us this season. If NDSU is able to do it, hats off to them.

On offense, I am really interested to see what our gameplan is. Against Auburn, we rolled Jenkins out because we knew that the AU DL would be overpowering. NDSU doesn't have anywhere near the talent on the DL that Auburn has, and while you may slow down our inside run game, our screen game and downfield passing attack are very good, and how well you defend the zone read will determine whether or not you get us off the field. I don't think your DL is going to overwhelm us by any stretch.

Finally, the UNI worship is laughable. You guys are so hung up over them and ISUr... they can't lose until they do. The comments about "if UNI had been in your bracket!" are a joke. UNI beat Portland by 12. PSU won 3 of their last 5 games by a total of 7 points (over mediocre teams), and lost to NoCo. UNI looked awesome in their last few games, primarily because of who they played. Assuming they, or ISUr would beat us, is just stupid. I could make the assertion (with more factual basis) that we would have blown out any other team from the MVFC this season. ISUr was lucky to escape EIU with a win in overtime.

If NDSU beats us, it will be because NDSU was the better team. It will have nothing to do with UNI or ISU or any other MVFC team, none of whom would have gotten past Chatty (or Chuck South, or SHSU).

This game will be strength on strength in a lot of areas. I won't even predict a win - just a good game... but the whole "hand us the trophy we already won" attitude from some NDSU fans is something else. I hope the team feels the same way. If they are taking us as lightly as the fans are, we will add your name to the list of teams we blew out this season (10 wins by 20+ points).

Big_Fan
January 3rd, 2016, 02:34 PM

Go ahead... attack our schedule. You guys spew all year about "its the playoffs that matter!" and now you wan't to ignore what we have done in the playoffs in favor of attacking our OVC schedule. Ok. That makes about as much sense as the rest of the garbage you guys spew.

Sagarin is a predictor, and it gets things wrong quite often. At this point in the season we have as many wins over teams that finished in the Stats top 25 as NDSU does. We have 4 wins over teams that finished the season ranked in the top 10. How many does NDSU have?

...and Eli has 14 rushing TD's and 1250 yards rushing (6.1ypc) as well. How many did Twiggy have? We average 312 yards per game rushing, and 41 points. Don't confuse "doesn't have to pass," with "can't pass."

The difference in JSU fans discussing the game, and NDSU fans discussing the game, is simple.

JSU fans are complimentary of NDSU, but talk up their own team's abilities and accomplisments.

NDSU fans trash JSU, insult their accomplishments, belittle their players, fans, and anything else they can think of... and then talk about their team like they have never been challenged.

It is really quite remarkable. You guys get all lathered up because we are fans of our own team, and refuse to bow and worship the Bison.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 3rd, 2016, 02:39 PM
Go ahead... attack our schedule. You guys spew all year about "its the playoffs that matter!" and now you wan't to ignore what we have done in the playoffs in favor of attacking our OVC schedule. Ok. That makes about as much sense as the rest of the garbage you guys spew.

Sagarin is a predictor, and it gets things wrong quite often. At this point in the season we have as many wins over teams that finished in the Stats top 25 as NDSU does. We have 4 wins over teams that finished the season ranked in the top 10. How many does NDSU have?

...and Eli has 14 rushing TD's and 1250 yards rushing (6.1ypc) as well. How many did Twiggy have? We average 312 yards per game rushing, and 41 points. Don't confuse "doesn't have to pass," with "can't pass."

The difference in JSU fans discussing the game, and NDSU fans discussing the game, is simple.

JSU fans are complimentary of NDSU, but talk up their own team's abilities and accomplisments.

NDSU fans trash JSU, insult their accomplishments, belittle their players, fans, and anything else they can think of... and then talk about their team like they have never been challenged.

It is really quite remarkable. You guys get all lathered up because we are fans of our own team, and refuse to bow and worship the Bison.

Twiggy had Richard Sincere for running plays.

TheKingpin28
January 3rd, 2016, 02:42 PM

From reading your comments, one would come to the conclusion that NDSU's defense had given up half as many yards on the ground as JSU.

They actually average 15 yards less per game. In the playoffs, JSU played 3 teams in the top 20 in rushing offense. NDSU played UNI. Richmond is 31, Montana 73. Yeah...Chuck South lit us up with the option. Huesman runs a 4.4/40, and broke containment for a couple of 50 yard runs.

JSU's run defense is as good as NDSU's. Talk all the trash you want, but I wouldn't trade DL's with NDSU. Prior to playing against an option offense, and giving up a couple of long runs to Huesman, JSU's run defense was ranked higher - in spite of playing an FBS team. NDSU had the same number of teams go for over 200 yards against them that JSU had, and the 277 UNI put on you was more than any team put on JSU. UNI did that while only completing 8 passes.

I know your answer... MVFC! You can stuff that at this point in the season. We beat the SoCon champ twice, the Big South Champ, and the SFL runner-up (who beat the champ in the playoffs). We played the #2 ranked total defense in the country (who had shut down the vaunted Citadel option attack) and put up 500 yards rushing on them. We played the #1 ranked offense in the country that had dropped 45 on Texas Tech, and beaten SUU and (JMU killer) Colgate - and we shut them down.

Saying that JSU can't stop the run is about as ridiculous as half of the other comments coming from you. If the Bison run all over us, it won't be because we can't stop the run. It will be because we couldn't stop NDSU from running. No team running a pro style offense has run the ball on us this season. If NDSU is able to do it, hats off to them.

On offense, I am really interested to see what our gameplan is. Against Auburn, we rolled Jenkins out because we knew that the AU DL would be overpowering. NDSU doesn't have anywhere near the talent on the DL that Auburn has, and while you may slow down our inside run game, our screen game and downfield passing attack are very good, and how well you defend the zone read will determine whether or not you get us off the field. I don't think your DL is going to overwhelm us by any stretch.

Finally, the UNI worship is laughable. You guys are so hung up over them and ISUr... they can't lose until they do. The comments about "if UNI had been in your bracket!" are a joke. UNI beat Portland by 12. PSU won 3 of their last 5 games by a total of 7 points (over mediocre teams), and lost to NoCo. UNI looked awesome in their last few games, primarily because of who they played. Assuming they, or ISUr would beat us, is just stupid. I could make the assertion (with more factual basis) that we would have blown out any other team from the MVFC this season. ISUr was lucky to escape EIU with a win in overtime.

If NDSU beats us, it will be because NDSU was the better team. It will have nothing to do with UNI or ISU or any other MVFC team, none of whom would have gotten past Chatty (or Chuck South, or SHSU).

This game will be strength on strength in a lot of areas. I won't even predict a win - just a good game... but the whole "hand us the trophy we already won" attitude from some NDSU fans is something else. I hope the team feels the same way. If they are taking us as lightly as the fans are, we will add your name to the list of teams we blew out this season (10 wins by 20+ points).

You do realize when you played "equal" competition, you had to take it to OT to win? You remind me a lot of ISUr fans. "I can't get no respect" attitude. Just take a deep breath and tell us how you really feel. The reason why MVFC/Bison fans rag on the OVC is that when you had a chance (OVC) you screwed the pooch hard. Last year you couldnt make it to the Quarterfinals and you were the 3 seed. If, key word is if, but if you you win, I guarantee that BisoNation will be the first to congratulate you on a true upset. But quit your bitching and whining when fans of other teams call your bull **** out. You realize that of the 125 teams that are D1, you have 5 teams who are in the bottom half of the rankings? Come on bro, make it a challenge for me to find problems with your SOS. Besides MoSt, who is MEAC/SWAC bad, the lowest rated team is Southern Illinois at 35? Hell you played Mississippi Valley State!?!?! I will continue to rag on your team due to SOS since I go back to the argument that the best FCS team you played required OT to win in the playoffs.

Attempt at a quality post from you, 3.5/10. I read it and laughed, but since I read it and was intrigued I'll be kind and give you some props.

Bisonator
January 3rd, 2016, 02:59 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkodTydUR0E

Bisonator
January 3rd, 2016, 03:02 PM
Don't worry JSU fans, it'll all be settled on the field come Saturday. Win or lose both teams have had great seasons!

JSUSoutherner
January 3rd, 2016, 03:02 PM
You do realize when you played "equal" competition, you had to take it to OT to win?
Apparently we only had one team that was comparable to NDSU's schedule?

Actually no, we didn't.
by Sagarin ratings:

104. SHSU- JSU win by 52
109. YSU- NDSU win by 3

121. Chuck South- JSU win by 20
122. SIU- NDSU win by 6

132. EIU- JSU win by 21
135. ISUb- NDSU win by 14

141. EKU- JSU win by 34
146. USD- NDSU loss by 3

I'll even give you a ranking skewed in NDSU's favor.
96. Chatty- JSU 2-0
114. Griz- NDSU 1-1

The only team you have that was better than our schedule was UNI. Nifty.

centennial
January 3rd, 2016, 03:20 PM

Actually no, we didn't.
by Sagarin ratings:

104. SHSU- JSU win by 52
109. YSU- NDSU win by 3

122. SIU- NDSU win by 6

132. EIU- JSU win by 21

141. EKU- JSU win by 34
146. USD- NDSU loss by 3

96. Chatty- JSU 2-0
114. Griz- NDSU 1-1

The best team you have beaten is chatt at 96. Whereas NDSU- SDSU at 90, UNI at 78, Richmond at 102. We started this year with an almost new defense. Guess what they aren't new anymore. Also there are multiple MVFC teams that would give JSU trouble. Debatable if they win, or lose.

JSUSoutherner
January 3rd, 2016, 03:25 PM
The best team you have beaten is chatt at 96. Whereas NDSU- SDSU at 90, UNI at 78, Richmond at 102. We started this year with an almost new defense. Guess what they aren't new anymore. Also there are multiple MVFC teams that would give JSU trouble. Debatable if they win, or lose.
As Montana proved, SDSU at 90 is a joke. All you guys have is UNI.

BisonTru
January 3rd, 2016, 03:32 PM

One game doesn't define a season. The jackrabbits played like deer in headlights the first half. If they could have played like they did in the second half the whole game the result could have been different.

centennial
January 3rd, 2016, 03:36 PM
That is completely ridiculous. They played with their backup QB, and didn't let Montana move the ball in the 2nd half. The griz stadium is as hard as the fargodome to play in.

JSUSoutherner
January 3rd, 2016, 03:40 PM
That is completely ridiculous. They played with their backup QB, and didn't let Montana move the ball in the 2nd half. The griz stadium is as hard as the fargodome to play in.
What about WIU?

BisonTru
January 3rd, 2016, 03:44 PM

To be fair SDSU didnt really commit to either QB during the season.

Farley setting trends. Maybe we can bounce between Stick and Davis next season. 😃 (pretty purple)

Bisonator
January 3rd, 2016, 03:51 PM
IMO JSU has only played 1 FCS team similar to NDSU. They won by 3 in game 1 and needed OT in the last game. NDSU is better then Chatty.

This is going to be a long week!

TheKingpin28
January 3rd, 2016, 04:55 PM

Actually no, we didn't.
by Sagarin ratings:

104. SHSU- JSU win by 52
109. YSU- NDSU win by 3

122. SIU- NDSU win by 6

132. EIU- JSU win by 21

141. EKU- JSU win by 34
146. USD- NDSU loss by 3

96. Chatty- JSU 2-0
114. Griz- NDSU 1-1

So you pick and chose the 4 worst teams in the conference? Good for you! 3 of the 4 were on the road. We beat WIU 59-7 and they made the playoffs. You want to pick and choose games, be my guest, but at least pick comparable opponents in the rankings. When SIU, sans MoSt is 35 out of 125, i think that says a lot about how tested we are versus how lucky you have gotten.

The score for NDSU is 93-26 with an average of, 31-8.67 and JSU is 161-83 for 51.67-27.6. I truly believe you won't put up more than 20 on your first game against a true defensive team. The fact that you got to play a cupcake schedule is great, but the Rams will make your defense non existent and our Code Green will leave you gasping for air.

Hammerhead
January 3rd, 2016, 05:12 PM
Sagarin has the MVFC rated 13 points above the OHV. Eastern Ill (#2 rating for OHV) is behind 7 MVFC teams.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/2015/conference/

frozennorth
January 3rd, 2016, 06:10 PM
As Montana proved, SDSU at 90 is a joke. All you guys have is UNI.sdsu beat the Suu team your lil pal was trying to talk up by 45.

CockyGeek
January 3rd, 2016, 06:37 PM
We had to play MVSU because Furman dropped out. It was either that or schedule a Division II team. FCS teams won't play us. UTC will barely sign contracts, Furman chickened out, and Samford won't come within 50 miles of us ever again after that playoff beatdown in 2012.

We lost in the playoffs last year? Whoodeedoo. All the teams but one lost in the playoffs last year. That game has absolutely nothing to do with this year. We already got out revenge on a team that everyone predicted would come back and embarrass us again.

I've seen what our guys play like when they have a chip on their shoulder, and it ain't pretty. They're going to be ready Saturday.

The Grass is greener in Jacksonville

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 3rd, 2016, 08:34 PM
Who is going to have more rushing yards?

I'll say the Bison.

ming01
January 3rd, 2016, 09:57 PM
All of the comparative scores/rankings/schedules is ridiculous. Who cares what SHSU or whomever did what. I think some of that is relevant, but mostly overrated. Ask that matters is the two teams on Saturday. I could see it being very close like last year. Could also see Ndsu winning by 20+.

Big_Fan
January 3rd, 2016, 11:27 PM
Twiggy had Richard Sincere for running plays.

Eli has Pope.
Pope has more yards than Flanders had in 2011, with 90 fewer carries, and roughly the same vs 2012.

JSU has 1300 yards more than SHSU had in 2011, and 600 more than 2012, with one game left to play.

Eli has 35 total TD's, vs Bell having 31 total.

The only area where SHSU 2012 has a bigger number than JSU, is in scoring, but that is through the finals. JSU has a higher ppg.

We will know whether or not we were a paper tiger, or a legit contender, this week. Based on talent and depth, I would say the latter. Both fan bases are guilty of cherry picking the performance that best supports their homerism, as evidence that their opinion is the correct one. Based on the entirety of the season, and not just cherry picking one good or bad game, this should be a great game. JSU has an impressive resume, and NDSU is a known commodity. Anyone claiming either of those two things to be false has their vision clouded by their homerism.

No one should be surprised if JSU wins this game... or if NDSU wins this game. It is a great match-up between two really good teams.

MVFC fans acting like JSU doesn't belong in the game, and making silly statements regarding what WOULD have happened had there been a MVFC team in JSU's bracket, are the ones who annoy me. I don't know if they are just trolling, or are really that dense. I hope they are trolls.

BisonTru
January 3rd, 2016, 11:50 PM
Eli has Pope.
Pope has more yards than Flanders had in 2011, with 90 fewer carries, and roughly the same vs 2012.

JSU has 1300 yards more than SHSU had in 2011, and 600 more than 2012, with one game left to play.

Eli has 35 total TD's, vs Bell having 31 total.

The only area where SHSU 2012 has a bigger number than JSU, is in scoring, but that is through the finals. JSU has a higher ppg.

We will know whether or not we were a paper tiger, or a legit contender, this week. Based on talent and depth, I would say the latter. Both fan bases are guilty of cherry picking the performance that best supports their homerism, as evidence that their opinion is the correct one. Based on the entirety of the season, and not just cherry picking one good or bad game, this should be a great game. JSU has an impressive resume, and NDSU is a known commodity. Anyone claiming either of those two things to be false has their vision clouded by their homerism.

No one should be surprised if JSU wins this game... or if NDSU wins this game. It is a great match-up between two really good teams.

MVFC fans acting like JSU doesn't belong in the game, and making silly statements regarding what WOULD have happened had there been a MVFC team in JSU's bracket, are the ones who annoy me. I don't know if they are just trolling, or are really that dense. I hope they are trolls.

Nice objective post! People are a little skeptical of JSU with their schedule, but they have done what you would expect a top FCS team to do with what was laid in front of them. I really am surprised that more JSU fans aren't raving about Pope, he's a hell of a player. We'll find out in few days, with my homer glasses on I hope we destroy you guys, but it's fair to say I really don't know how this will play out. The battle in the trenches will be critical.

As for the MVFC fans, they get the "your conference is a one trick pony" comments, which aren't fair either. There's a lot of really good squads in the MVFC and us NDSU fans know that. Even though we got 5 teams in I would still say it's the toughest conference in the country, at the moment, to get to the postseason. EIU wouldn't have made it in playing in the MVFC, JMO.

CockyGeek
January 4th, 2016, 03:44 AM
Points given up in the first half by JSU this season:

Second half is going to be the key in this game. The 4th quarter specifically.

Thundar
January 4th, 2016, 07:12 AM
Points given up in the first half by JSU this season:

Second half is going to be the key in this game. The 4th quarter specifically.

Then you won't be happy, NDSU is and has been a second half team

Cocky
January 4th, 2016, 07:21 AM

Who is Leeroy Jenkins?

Thunderstruck
January 4th, 2016, 09:06 AM
Just wondering how many games has JSU played on natural grass? I believe your home field is a turf correct?

jsualumnus
January 4th, 2016, 09:14 AM
Yes it is turf... Auburn was the only grass field we played on. There was no issue there. How about NDSU?

UNIFanSince1983
January 4th, 2016, 09:19 AM
NDSU's only game on grass was at SDSU on the worst grass field in history.

Thunderstruck
January 4th, 2016, 09:21 AM
NDSU's only game on grass was at SDSU on the worst grass field in history.

Definitely one of the worse, uneven, grass fields ever.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 4th, 2016, 09:28 AM
How quickly you forget the 2013 championship game.

Thunderstruck
January 4th, 2016, 09:29 AM

That game always comes to mind for bad fields. Just peeking at the weather looks like rain in the forecast for days before the game and during the game. I believe that field had a freezing problem?

gumby013
January 4th, 2016, 09:32 AM

That field had shadows.

http://i.imgur.com/MYXb06I.jpg

NoDak 4 Ever
January 4th, 2016, 09:40 AM
That game always comes to mind for bad fields. Just peeking at the weather looks like rain in the forecast for days before the game and during the game. I believe that field had a freezing problem?

It did. I think they laid new sod then had an ice storm. they didnt' cover the field and the sod didn't take root. They sprayed it green to make it look good.

I believe last year they didn't lay new sod.

Professor Chaos
January 4th, 2016, 09:59 AM
The turf should be fine even with rain in the forecast. There hasn't been anything to happen on that field since the before holidays (perhaps a long time before the holidays). The problem in January 2014 was that they re-sodded between the hashes in mid-November and then got a really bad ice storm in the week or two after that which didn't allow the new sod to take root. I don't think they've had any ice storms, at least nothing of that magnitude, this year and I think they learned it's better to have old turf that's a little worn out but rooted then it is to re-sod and hope the weather allows the new turf to take root before the game.

Mayville Bison
January 4th, 2016, 01:47 PM

Man, the irony in those 4 lines is laughable looking at your recent posts. The only time you said anything even close to complimentary of NDSU is saying "Wentz may be a better pro prospect, but that doesn't make him a better college qb".

At the end of the day, it will come down to strength (Bison defense) vs. strength (JSU offense). Trying to get an NDSU fan to say something more in depth than that about JSU is like trying to get JSU to describe their 2015 season to date without mentioning Auburn.

Big_Fan
January 4th, 2016, 02:36 PM
Man, the irony in those 4 lines is laughable looking at your recent posts. The only time you said anything even close to complimentary of NDSU is saying "Wentz may be a better pro prospect, but that doesn't make him a better college qb".

At the end of the day, it will come down to strength (Bison defense) vs. strength (JSU offense). Trying to get an NDSU fan to say something more in depth than that about JSU is like trying to get JSU to describe their 2015 season to date without mentioning Auburn.

You obviously haven't read my posts. I haven't trashed NDSU, belittled NDSU, or insulted NDSU. NDSU internet fans seem to do that to JSU as naturally as breathing. Most of my posts are talking about my team. I think I described NDSU as a "known commodity" in a recent post, implying that NDSU is a heck of a team. That runs counter to most of your fans "you suck, your team sucks, your conference sucks, your coach sucks, your players suck. Go Bison!" attitude.

I will say it again... NDSU may well win the game. I haven't even predicted that we will win. I do think we will be competitive, and if your players take us as lightly as your fans, we will roll you.

The real irony I have seen is all year we heard "It isn't the regular season that matters, it is the playoffs!" from MVFC fans. Now that we have rolled through the playoffs, our 600 yards per game offense against ranked playoff opponents doesn't matter. What matters is that we played in the OVC, and can't possibly compete with the almighty Bison.

Your fans trot out stats against teams that are nothing like NDSU as evidence of how NDSU will ram the ball down our throats. There is no logic to it... NDSU isn't an option team like CSU, and your QB doesn't have 4.4 speed and 1500 yards rushing like Huesman did. Pro style offenses have struggled against us.

It won't surprise me if we lose by a score of 35 - 21, or something similar. It also won't surprise me if we win by 30. NDSU is a great team, but they are beatable. Have you played well lately? Yes. So have we.

NDSU is a great team and played in a tough conference. JSU has 4 wins over teams ranked in the final Stats top 10, and 3 more over top 35 teams. We aren't playing the MVFC Saturday, we are playing NDSU. NDSU is not playing the OVC Saturday, they are playing JSU. Both teams are capable of winning this game.

...and trust me... JSU fan's mentioning Auburn is no more annoying than your incessant "MVFC!" garbage, insults aimed at JSU over "southern speed" comments that were made by Ga Southern years ago, and the non-stop arrogant "we have heard it all before. you will lose" Ivan Drago attitude.

BisonTru
January 4th, 2016, 02:44 PM
Your fans trot out stats against teams that are nothing like NDSU as evidence of how NDSU will ram the ball down our throats. There is no logic to it... NDSU isn't an option team like CSU, and your QB doesn't have 4.4 speed and 1500 yards rushing like Huesman did. Pro style offenses have struggled against us.

Just a heads up, but Stick is fast. We are very comparable with Stick to Chattanooga. Not saying we're better or worse just that the style we play with and the speed at the QB position is comparable.

Mayville Bison
January 4th, 2016, 03:13 PM
You obviously haven't read my posts. I haven't trashed NDSU, belittled NDSU, or insulted NDSU. NDSU internet fans seem to do that to JSU as naturally as breathing. Most of my posts are talking about my team. I think I described NDSU as a "known commodity" in a recent post, implying that NDSU is a heck of a team. That runs counter to most of your fans "you suck, your team sucks, your conference sucks, your coach sucks, your players suck. Go Bison!" attitude.
Couple things here -
1) Your use of "most" is what is driving me nuts. I think if you look at the fanbases as a whole, both sides have their fanboys. For F's sakes, you have a poster who has over 1000 posts in less than 2 months who's running his/her mouth. Is it a bad thing? Absolutely not! If it were all duckies and bunnies, no one would come to this site to chat.
2) NDSU is a known commodity. JSU isn't. It's a simple fact and not many people from North Dakota are going to know much about a team they haven't played in 20+ years. That's the exact reason I said "At the end of the day, it will come down to strength (Bison defense) vs. strength (JSU offense). Trying to get an NDSU fan to say something more in depth than that about JSU is like trying to get JSU to describe their 2015 season to date without mentioning Auburn" in my previous post.

I will say it again... NDSU may well win the game. I haven't even predicted that we will win. I do think we will be competitive, and if your players take us as lightly as your fans, we will roll you. I am fully expecting a 1 score game until the 4th quarter where it could go either way depending on how the ball bounces. Anyone who thinks otherwise is most likely trying to get a rise out of people. If you at all think the players are taking any team in the championship game lightly, you should probably step away from the keyboard.

The real irony I have seen is all year we heard "It isn't the regular season that matters, it is the playoffs!" from MVFC fans. Now that we have rolled through the playoffs, our 600 yards per game offense against ranked playoff opponents doesn't matter. What matters is that we played in the OVC, and can't possibly compete with the almighty Bison.
Congrats. You beat a Chatty team that the AGS community loves to bash because either they aren't very good or just to get a rise out of chattownmocs. You beat a Chuck South team who brings 13 people to their home games. You beat a team that (EDIT) didn't want to lose to NDSU in the championship game again. You could very well finish that up by beating a team that lost at home to South Dakota. In the end, none of that matters because your fan base keeps talking about Auburn! The irony about your noticed irony is your own conference mates were saying the exact same thing about JSU. They knew you weren't challenged and had no idea how you would be in the playoffs. When the "best" part of your regular season is losing to a last place SECW team, how can anyone not make fun of you?

That all being said, you won't find me bashing the results JSU has put up. You also won't find me apologizing for what NDSU has done.

You realize that this team transforms from a pro-style offense to the stupid read-option offense quite often, right? Stick may not have 4.4 speed, but you have to contain him or he will do to JSU exactly what CSU did. To categorize this team as simply a pro style offense is like saying Jenkins is only a running QB, so if you sell out to stop the run you will win. See how ridiculous that sounds?

...and trust me... JSU fan's mentioning Auburn is no more annoying than your incessant "MVFC!" garbage, insults aimed at JSU over "southern speed" comments that were made by Ga Southern years ago, and the non-stop arrogant "we have heard it all before. you will lose" Ivan Drago attitude.

Knock NDSU off their throne and those comments will stop. The reason why they get brought up is because they are 100% true and no one has proven otherwise. To get that respect you are ultimately craving, all you need is for JSU to score 1 more point than NDSU on Saturday. You have obviously missed all the other signs of respect, so the only thing you are looking for is to be crowned the champs. You may just get your wish in 5 days...or maybe not.

BisonFan02
January 4th, 2016, 07:39 PM
Who is Leeroy Jenkins?

LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOYYYYYYYYYYY.....M'JENKINSSSSS! xlolx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkCNJRfSZBU

WoW nerds.....all of you. xlolx

1992Bison
January 6th, 2016, 12:14 PM

Enough already with Auburn ****. Jesus Christ it gets ****ing old

caribbeanhen
January 6th, 2016, 05:36 PM
Enough already with Auburn ****. Jesus Christ it gets ****ing old

you've been here for a week with 9 posts and your all ready irritated? that's funny!

Bison56
January 6th, 2016, 05:38 PM
you've been here for a week with 9 posts and your all ready irritated? that's funny!

Must have a short fuse.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
January 6th, 2016, 05:46 PM

Get some ointment for that burn, looks serious

mamberso
January 7th, 2016, 02:50 PM
I've watched all the NDSU games from last year's NC game to the YSU game (YouTube is awesome). And of course I've seen all the JSU games. Here is my two cents...

First, based on the buzz about NDSU, I expected to see a 3 yards and a cloud of dust type offense. NDSU is very balanced, though. The receivers ( especially #16 and #82) catch almost everything thrown to them. Certainly, things change based on who the QB is. Wentz would be the best QB JSU has seen all season. There is nothing he doesn't do well. He is one of the most accurate QB's in college football (FBS included). The fact that he can run makes him that much more dangerous. Stick has a pretty good arm, but certainly does not appear to be as accurate as Wentz. Honestly, Stick reminds me of a smaller Jacob Huesman at Chattanooga. The matchup everyone is talking about is the NDSU O-line vs. the JSU D-line. But I am very interested to see NDSU's WR's go against JSU's good DB's. Also, how will JSU's linebackers fare against NDSU's screens, dumpoffs and swing passes to the RB's?

On the other side of the ball, NDSU is pretty much what I expected. They are solid all around. The front seven, with help from the safeties, do an excellent job (for the most part) of controlling the run. The Bison secondary is pretty good in coverage, but I did see them get burned a few times. The front four are awesome at getting pressure on the QB. The linebackers are very good in pass coverage. Two games did catch my attention with regards to the defense. Those are the National Championship game vs. ISU last season, and the regular season UNI game from this season. Both offenses are pretty similar to what JSU runs. In both games, NDSU's defense was torched on the ground. I peaked at the stats from the playoff UNI game, and it appears NDSU did a much better job stopping the run, based on the stats.

The thing that struck me the most in NDSU's blowout wins was how often the opponent would go 3-and-out, and how few plays it took the Bison to get onto the other side of the field after getting the ball back. In those games, NDSU looked unstoppable. The SDSU and WIU games were especially impressive. But at other times, NDSU looks very beatable. The UNI, USD, and YSU games come to mind.

I think JSU will be able to move the ball and score on NDSU, both on the ground and in the air. I think NDSU will have success through the air and on QB keepers. In the end I think JSU wins the game 34-31. Maybe that's a homer pick, maybe it's not.

Safe travels to Frisco everyone. See you there.

BisonFan02
January 7th, 2016, 03:07 PM
I've watched all the NDSU games from last year's NC game to the YSU game (YouTube is awesome). And of course I've seen all the JSU games. Here is my two cents...

First, based on the buzz about NDSU, I expected to see a 3 yards and a cloud of dust type offense. NDSU is very balanced, though. The receivers ( especially #16 and #82) catch almost everything thrown to them. Certainly, things change based on who the QB is. Wentz would be the best QB JSU has seen all season. There is nothing he doesn't do well. He is one of the most accurate QB's in college football (FBS included). The fact that he can run makes him that much more dangerous. Stick has a pretty good arm, but certainly does not appear to be as accurate as Wentz. Honestly, Stick reminds me of a smaller Jacob Huesman at Chattanooga. The matchup everyone is talking about is the NDSU O-line vs. the JSU D-line. But I am very interested to see NDSU's WR's go against JSU's good DB's. Also, how will JSU's linebackers fare against NDSU's screens, dumpoffs and swing passes to the RB's?

On the other side of the ball, NDSU is pretty much what I expected. They are solid all around. The front seven, with help from the safeties, do an excellent job (for the most part) of controlling the run. The Bison secondary is pretty good in coverage, but I did see them get burned a few times. The front four are awesome at getting pressure on the QB. The linebackers are very good in pass coverage. Two games did catch my attention with regards to the defense. Those are the National Championship game vs. ISU last season, and the regular season UNI game from this season. Both offenses are pretty similar to what JSU runs. In both games, NDSU's defense was torched on the ground. I peaked at the stats from the playoff UNI game, and it appears NDSU did a much better job stopping the run, based on the stats.

The thing that struck me the most in NDSU's blowout wins was how often the opponent would go 3-and-out, and how few plays it took the Bison to get onto the other side of the field after getting the ball back. In those games, NDSU looked unstoppable. The SDSU and WIU games were especially impressive. But at other times, NDSU looks very beatable. The UNI, USD, and YSU games come to mind.

I think JSU will be able to move the ball and score on NDSU, both on the ground and in the air. I think NDSU will have success through the air and on QB keepers. In the end I think JSU wins the game 34-31. Maybe that's a homer pick, maybe it's not.

Weird stat for you...other than this year's opener against Montana (38 points for the Griz....a disaster for NDSU on D), the Bison have allowed more than 30 points only twice going back to 2010 (Coastal Carolina last year in the playoffs with 32 and EWU in the 2010 playoffs with 38...)

JSUSoutherner
January 7th, 2016, 03:26 PM
Weird stat for you...other than this year's opener against Montana (38 points for the Griz....a disaster for NDSU on D), the Bison have allowed more than 30 points only twice going back to 2010 (Coastal Carolina last year in the playoffs with 32 and EWU in the 2010 playoffs with 38...)
And JSU has only had less than 400 yards in a game twice since Grass has been HC. 385 at EIU this year and 244 at Michigan State.

It's really not a weird stat. It's going to be a hell of a game.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
January 7th, 2016, 03:53 PM

Great post!

MR. CHICKEN
January 7th, 2016, 05:27 PM
MR. CHICKEN[/SIZE];2313608]....IT'LL COME DOWN TA TACKLING FO' JAX.....AS DUH BIZONSSSSS......EXCEL...IN BREAKIN' 'EM....AN' FO God's SAKE......GO RUGBY ON PUNTS...AN' KEEP DAT RETURNER.....FROM KNOCKIN' YA'S OUT.........xwavexBYE BYE BROCKxwavex

....OTHERWISE.......BIZONSSSSS FANS OWN DUH BOARD....FO' 'NOTHERAH YEAR................WANTED: QB'S/WR'S/HEARTY FANS/SPICY MUSTARD..........xwavexBROCK ON DUH BLOCK!xwavex

Mayville Bison
January 8th, 2016, 08:51 AM
....OTHERWISE.......BIZONSSSSS FANS OWN DUH BOARD....FO' 'NOTHERAH YEAR................WANTED: QB'S/WR'S/HEARTY FANS/SPICY MUSTARD..........xwavexBROCK ON DUH BLOCK!xwavex

You really don't think a loss in the championship game would shut some of them up, do you?

MR. CHICKEN
January 8th, 2016, 10:39 AM
You really don't think a loss in the championship game would shut some of them up, do you?

....NO.........HOWEVERAH....DEY'RE'D...BE SOME DEGREE....UH LEVERAGE...............BROCK!

Thunderstruck
January 8th, 2016, 11:43 AM
Safe to say the winner of this game will win the TOP battle?

awBison
January 8th, 2016, 11:51 AM

Obviously that is going to be true more times then not but I wouldn't put it as a real strong correlation for this game.
If this game goes how I think it will go, JSU O will largely be limited on the ground but will be able to make
plays in the air. JSU will lose TOP but may still come out with the win. If JSU wins TOP I'd say that it's safe
to assume we lose this game.

JSUSoutherner
January 8th, 2016, 12:27 PM
Not with us. We don't really put emphasis on TOP, we just let it work itself out. Our average scoring drive us around 2 minutes so we score a lot with little TOP. But normally in our other games we dominate TOP. We know how to score fast, but we also know how to take our time and drag out drives.

KPSUL
January 8th, 2016, 01:18 PM
A fast tempo offense is great when your offense is playing very effective; particularly when you get on the scoreboard quickly. Going up by a couple scores early has the tendency to force a ball control offense out of its game plan which can set the tempo for the rest of the game. However, if NDSU is able to force JSU to give up possession on over half of their drives without scoring, they will likely gain control of the game. JSU has the potential to win this game. On paper the teams look very even. Maybe in Birmingham or Chattanooga JSU could win, but I don't think they will beat NDSU in Frisco which is a virtual home game for the Bison.

FCS Fan WAtch as of 1200 pm, Friday. (Total number of fans wearing school logos)

NDSU 76
JSU 0 (I did see one Alabama plate in my hotel parking lot, but no logo spotted yet)
UNH 1 (me)

I haven't been North of Allen TX yet. I plan to go to Frisco this evening. Next report 10 pm Friday.

Big_Fan
January 8th, 2016, 01:19 PM
Obviously that is going to be true more times then not but I wouldn't put it as a real strong correlation for this game.
If this game goes how I think it will go, JSU O will largely be limited on the ground but will be able to make
plays in the air. JSU will lose TOP but may still come out with the win. If JSU wins TOP I'd say that it's safe
to assume we lose this game.

That is probably accurate. Our offense can score very quickly. NDSU will need to win time of possession to win the game. If we are possessing the ball, we are moving it.

I have read a number of comments around the interwebs from people who really don't know much about our offense. There is a misconception that we are a spread finesse team. Do we run spread formations? Yes... but we are very multiple. Our bread and butter is our power running attack. We run between the tackles more than we run sweeps. do that out of a lot of different formations... we are really more of a running / play action team. We run out of the gun quite a bit, but you will see us in pro sets and the pistol from time to time. We have a very good ball control passing attack to compliment our run game. We averaged over 32 minutes TOP on the season. We had over 37 minutes time of possession against SHSU, and over 35 against Auburn.

In our second game against Chatty, they beat us in time of possession. We had 640 yards of offense, and only 26 minutes of possession. SEMO beat us in TOP, even though we had 600+ yards against them. We had reserves in early, and even they scored a couple of TD's in under 2 minutes. SEMO possessed the ball against our reserves.

This match-up is very intriguing for a lot of reasons. The 3 week break is potentially troublesome. Our offense was clicking before the break. Hopefully they can maintain their intensity. I do think you will slow us down significantly in the run game. I think our receiving corp matches up well against the NDSU secondary. We have a very good receiving corp - more than just Barge. Your pass defense is effective because of the pressure NDSU is able to get up front. Our OL has to be able to hold their blocks and give Eli time. If they can do that, I think we win by two scores. If they can't. we may lose by two scores.

This game could turn into a defensive battle. We average giving up just 10 yards more than NDSU per game in FCS games, and just 18 more including our FBS game. While our competition has been arguably weaker, we played a ton of reserves early in blowout games. We are pretty good in the red zone on offense. Our 26 ranking in that category doesn't tell the whole story. We have 72 trips into the RZ, with 46 TD's. We have taken a knee to end the game a time or two, and had our reserves get stopped on 4th down in blowouts where kicking a field goal served no purpose. Only SHSU had more RZ opportunities; they had a couple more TD's than we did, and fewer FG's. Our RZ defense isn't bad - we suffer from the same statistical anomaly as NDSU does in that category. We haven't allowed that many trips, so the TD's our reserves gave up impacts our percentage more than a team that allowed 50 or 60 trips. I think you will find out that our defense is one of the best you have faced this season, and I have no doubt that our offense will be the best you have seen. Even if you can slow our offense down, we have enough depth on defense that wearing us down is difficult.

The red zone stats favor us, but as I mentioned, the competition has been weaker. That said, we are very evenly matched. As efficient as we are offensively, TOP and RZ play could be the difference in this game.

Some NDSU fans believe the Bison will ram the ball down our throat and make us like it. I don't see it. Our game plan will be to stop the run. NDSU with Stick has not been overwhelming in the passing game. If we can stop the run (a big if), I don't think NDSU can beat us through the air with Stick at QB. Even with Wentz at QB it is a question mark, due to the amount of time he has missed, and coming back from the injury. Honestly, even if Wentz is healthy, you have to feel that he would have a lot of rust. Timing is so important, and he hasn't played a meaningful snap in almost 3 months.

It is a really hard game to call. Red zone O and D could be key... Big plays, turnovers, and special teams could decide the game. I don't think either team is going to be able to just "do what they do." It is going to take something more than just base offense and defense.

That is my .02.

Big_Fan
January 8th, 2016, 01:36 PM
A fast tempo offense is great when your offense is playing very effective; particularly when you get on the scoreboard quickly. Going up by a couple scores early has the tendency to force a ball control offense out of its game plan which can set the tempo for the rest of the game. However, if NDSU is able to force JSU to give up possession on over half of their drives without scoring, they will likely gain control of the game. JSU has the potential to win this game. On paper the teams look very even. Maybe in Birmingham or Chattanooga JSU could win, but I don't think they will beat NDSU in Frisco which is a virtual home game for the Bison.

FCS Fan WAtch as of 1200 pm, Friday. (Total number of fans wearing school logos)

NDSU 76
JSU 0 (I did see one Alabama plate in my hotel parking lot, but no logo spotted yet)
UNH 1 (me)

I haven't been North of Allen TX yet. I plan to go to Frisco this evening. Next report 10 pm Friday.

A ton of JSU fans are driving in today and will be arriving this evening. It is a 10-12 hour drive. Some are doing it long-haul, but most probably stopped in Monroe to visit Duck Commander headquarters and get their picture made with Uncle Si ;)

NDSUtk
January 8th, 2016, 02:09 PM
This game could turn into a defensive battle.

I hope so. I did the parlay with the under of 54 and NDSU -3.
21-17 NDSU sounds great :)

Da Herd
January 9th, 2016, 06:04 PM
35-20 NDSU.

It will end up being very similar to the Richmond game. With a 75-80% NDSU contingent and them playing at "home," (yet again), I would not be surprised if JSU panics and collapses under pressure. I had made that pick at the start of the tournament, but I could easily see it being 35-13 after what,I've seen NDSU do VS what I expected JSU to do. Besides the SHSU game, I have been unimpressed by what they did against CSU and Chatty. Call me an arrogant MVFC/NDSU homer, but I've said it before and I'll say it again, the whole "you haven't seen this before," "Southern Speed," "etc..." arguments are old and I wouldn't be surprised if this game is SHSU part 2 or the Towson game all over again.

I wish they would have put UNI on the other side and that SDSU would have won. It would have been nice to see a more balanced schedule but congrats to JSU for making it this far.

Nice Call.

BisonTru
January 9th, 2016, 07:13 PM

Good game! 😀 We played great today and you guys have a hell of a squad.

X-Factor
January 9th, 2016, 08:29 PM
And JSU has only had less than 400 yards in a game twice since Grass has been HC. 385 at EIU this year and 244 at Michigan State.

It's really not a weird stat. It's going to be a hell of a game.
So I guess this would be a new record low, eh?

JSUSoutherner
January 9th, 2016, 08:31 PM
So I guess this would be a new record low, eh?
Yup.

Turned out out to be hell to watch rather than a hell of a game to watch.

Bison56
January 9th, 2016, 09:56 PM
Yup.

Turned out out to be hell to watch rather than a hell of a game to watch.

Liked the halftime performance nice work.

JSUSoutherner
January 9th, 2016, 10:00 PM
Liked the halftime performance nice work.
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it!

NDSUFREAK
January 9th, 2016, 10:22 PM
Glad the band was worth it xdrunkyx

but honestly y'all have one of the class acts of FCS as a head coach and a great team that will run through their conference for many year to come...JSUSoutherner, hopefully they kept the band in Frisco one more day for you guys to drink the town dry with fellow FOOTBALL fans.

JSUSoutherner
January 9th, 2016, 10:25 PM
Glad the band was worth it xdrunkyx

but honestly y'all have one of the class acts of FCS as a head coach and a great team that will run through their conference for many year to come...JSUSoutherner, hopefully they kept the band in Frisco one more day for you guys to drink the town dry with fellow FOOTBALL fans.
Nah, we loaded up and got the hell out of Dodge.

Our convoy just got into Louisiana.

ETA JSU: 7-8AM.

NDSUFREAK
January 9th, 2016, 10:32 PM
Nah, we loaded up and got the hell out of Dodge.

Our convoy just got into Louisiana.

ETA JSU: 7-8AM.

Damn, that sucks. I don't know what year you are but make sure you are agenda free for the next time y'all are in Frisco :) Damn scary team next year with a ton of motivation

Hammerhead
January 10th, 2016, 10:56 PM
NDSU had the ball just over 40 minutes. USD held the ball for 16 more seconds than NDSU in one of our two losses.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 11th, 2016, 06:58 AM
JSU's band was good as advertised.

I was down to the Bison/Gopher game in '12 and the JSU marching band is better than the Gophers and bigger. Kudos to JSU and their very good marching band.

As for the game, I was totally unimpressed with the Gamecocks but credit needs to go to the Bison defense. Once again, they proved that "defense wins championships". With 30 seniors, JSU will have some rebuilding to do.

Cocky
January 11th, 2016, 08:55 AM
Wentz on 3rd down = the game, his wrs didnt hurt him any with some great catches.
Eli had a bad game which kept our offense off the field and Wentz lead long drives and ate up the clock keeping our O off the field.
Our run D did very well after the first series on everyone but Wentz
Personally was hoping for Wentz to start because of rust and athleticism of Stick, but I was wrong on both accounts. Wentz wasnt rusty or nonathletic.
Wentz was named the MVP for a reason. He was the game. How in the hell did his high school coach overlook him until his senior year?

Professor Chaos
January 11th, 2016, 09:04 AM
Wentz was named the MVP for a reason. He was the game. How in the hell did his high school coach overlook him until his senior year?
I believe he was the starting QB in high school his junior and senior year but he really didn't blossom until his senior year. I think his only offers were UND, SDSU, and NDSU but I faintly recall that he had a MAC school like Central Michigan that was talking with him pretty frequently but never offered.

EDIT: It was SDSU, USD, and SIU that offered him and CMU was flying in the week after he committed to NDSU and he anticipated an offer from them as well (http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/wentz-ndsu-over-three-i-aas-and-possible-cmu/). Great decision Carson!

Cocky
January 11th, 2016, 09:07 AM
I believe he was the starting QB in high school his junior and senior year but he really didn't blossom until his senior year. I think his only offers were UND, SDSU, and NDSU but I faintly recall that he had a MAC school like Central Michigan that was talking with him pretty frequently but never offered.

He can start for any college and would only have to compete at a few schools for the spot.

IBleedYellow
January 11th, 2016, 10:26 AM
I know we're on the football only thread, but screw it. Lol

JSU's band is 100% brass or drumline (and xylonphones or w/e they are called?) and 150 members larger than ours. That makes all the difference.

Cocky
January 11th, 2016, 10:28 AM

JSU's band is 100% brass or drumline (and xylonphones or w/e they are called?) and 150 members larger than ours. That makes all the difference.
The university puts a lot of effort into the band. Heck, they will have thousands come watch them practice.

JSUSoutherner
January 11th, 2016, 11:08 AM

Instrumentation and size mean nothing in band. When I was in high school I was in a 150 member band and we took down 300-400 member behemoths all the time in competition.

When JSU hosted Spirit of Atlanta (a 150 member drum and bugle competition corps) we were consistent world finalists.