PDA

View Full Version : New TX St Position: Keeler or Grass?

centennial
December 25th, 2015, 09:39 PM
Hearing rumors Keeler is a front runner, Grass might be also in the mix.
http://www.underdogdynasty.com/texas-state-bobcats/2015/12/23/10656530/ten-potential-head-coaching-candidates-at-texas-state-pros-and-cons

jsualumnus
December 25th, 2015, 10:00 PM
Grass is mentioned nowhere in that article. Am I missing something?

Cocky
December 25th, 2015, 10:16 PM
He and Klineman are going to flip a coin for the job.

BisonTru
December 25th, 2015, 10:29 PM
He and Klineman are going to flip a coin for the job.

HC Keeler
DC Klieman
OC Grass

That would be damn good group of guys.

centennial
December 25th, 2015, 10:56 PM
Seen him mentioned on twitter. Also on the Tx St forum. Keeler is the front runner however.

Cocky
December 25th, 2015, 10:57 PM
HC Keeler
DC Klieman
OC Grass

That would be damn good group of guys.
I spelled his name wrong but I would take Klieman or Grass over Keeler. Keeler is a good coach,too. The Chuck South coach is another good young coach.
If someone wants a good coach who is competitive with limited to no funds, check out Jason Simpson at UTM. Martin could be one of the hardest places to recruit in college football. Simpson performs miracles every year to keep this team in games.

BisonTru
December 25th, 2015, 11:14 PM
I spelled his name wrong but I would take Klieman or Grass over Keeler. Keeler is a good coach,too. The Chuck South coach is another good young coach.
If someone wants a good coach who is competitive with limited to no funds, check out Jason Simpson at UTM. Martin could be one of the hardest places to recruit in college football. Simpson performs miracles every year to keep this team in games.

Agree I honestly would take Grass over both. I'm a big fan of Klieman and think he's the perfect guy to keep leading our program, but I'm not sure if he's the guy to go re-build a program. He wasn't around for a couple of down years where Bohl and company had to get the ship turned back in the right direction. Who knows, if he keeps winning eventually the next level will offer.

Also agree on the limited resources. There's a lot of coaches in tough positions that if they were to get to a program that leads their conference/division in resources they could really shine.

dgtw
December 25th, 2015, 11:21 PM
If I had to hire someone from that list in the article, I'd take Keeler.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 25th, 2015, 11:49 PM
It amazes me some of the jobs that guys will take simply for money. Why in the world would anyone want this job otherwise? If you're confident in your abilities then you wait until you EARN something better. Texas State is so far down the pecking order in Texas FBS football that I don't see the appeal at all.

Bisonoline
December 26th, 2015, 12:00 AM
It amazes me some of the jobs that guys will take simply for money. Why in the world would anyone want this job otherwise? If you're confident in your abilities then you wait until you EARN something better. Texas State is so far down the pecking order in Texas FBS football that I don't see the appeal at all.

Its about having Head Coaching experience on your resume. Its just another step on the ladder in moving up. Plus sometimes they get paid a pretty good check for doing so.

dgtw
December 26th, 2015, 12:18 AM
Its about having Head Coaching experience on your resume. Its just another step on the ladder in moving up. Plus sometimes they get paid a pretty good check for doing so.

Exactly. A major school is most likely going to want someone with head coaching experience to show he knows to put a program together. Texas has plenty of high school talent so even Texas State should be able to get their fair share and with the right coach they could do something. A few good years there and he would be ready when a bigger program needs a coach.

And, yes, I know Kirby Smart waited a long time to get a shot at a place like Georgia. But Jim MacElwain took a quick detour to Colorado State and then got the Florida job. Arkansas State was a revolving door for coaches wanting a shot at the big time.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 26th, 2015, 12:25 AM

I can see the appeal to some. But Keeler already has HC experience that comes serious credentials based on what he did at Rowan, Delaware and now SHSU. There has to be a reason why Keeler is not getting looks at better jobs. We know Bohl had the Nebraska incident which was always going to limit his options. Are AD's and other key administrators that turned off because of Keeler's love of the transfer? Is his 1-7 record in national title games that detrimental? Why wouldn't Rutgers or Syracuse give him an interview?

I'm not saying he gets the Texas gig or some big SEC job. But why not wait and see what happens at Houston after next year? Maybe Arizona if RichRod bolts? FCS coaches with his body of work do better than Texas State unless there's baggage.

Cocky
December 26th, 2015, 07:38 AM

For Keeler, how many years are needed in TX to become vested? If 10 years he could hold on for a few and get 20% or so of close to a million which would give him his present salary for life. You have to remember this is a job to coaches not a fandom.

mamberso
December 26th, 2015, 08:22 AM
The last name on that list, Claude Mathis, brings back some not so good memories. I remember him running for over 300 yards against JSU on a rainy day at Jacksonville in 1997. Those were the dark days.

jsualumnus
December 26th, 2015, 12:00 PM
Seen him mentioned on twitter. Also on the Tx St forum. Keeler is the front runner however.

Got it, thanks!

caribbeanhen
December 26th, 2015, 02:06 PM
Keeler would be a great choice as long as he has smart assistants and a gateway for talent

PAllen
December 26th, 2015, 10:09 PM
I just don't see Keeler as a successful coach at the FBS level. He's a good coach, but his ace in the hole has always been bringing in impact transfers from a higher level. That's not going to happen with an FBS club.

gumby013
December 26th, 2015, 10:22 PM
Keeler wouldn't be able to load up on transfers. Not a good match.

Cocky
December 26th, 2015, 10:38 PM
Keeler wouldn't be able to load up on transfers. Not a good match.
FBS schools take lots of transfers.

CockyGeek
December 26th, 2015, 10:41 PM
Only the thugs and rapists. Right??

The Grass is greener in Jacksonville

gumby013
December 26th, 2015, 10:41 PM

That have to sit out a year. Keeler's thing is taking a huge number of transfers that play right away. He took something like 19 his first year at Sam Houston.

Cocky
December 27th, 2015, 06:12 AM
Only the thugs and rapists. Right??

Yeah, those transfers are the devil. Possibly the lowest form of life to have ever existed.

caribbeanhen
December 27th, 2015, 06:39 AM
Yeah, those transfers are the devil. Possibly the lowest form of life to have ever existed.

that's what Delaware fans have been told recently

katstrapper
December 27th, 2015, 08:09 PM
That have to sit out a year. Keeler's thing is taking a huge number of transfers that play right away. He took something like 19 his first year at Sam Houston.

he took 4 in his second year.

And how many freaking transfers does Jacksonville St have? Their entire defensive line, couple of o-lineman and their QB were all transfers.

And who cares if a FCS school takes transfers? Players would end up somewhere so why not at Sam Houston or any other FCS program? Most of the transfers that Sam Houston gets played high school football in Texas anyway.

JSUSoutherner
December 27th, 2015, 08:11 PM

And how many freaking transfers does Jacksonville St have? Their entire defensive line, couple of o-lineman and their QB were all transfers.

And who cares if a FCS school takes transfers? Players would end up somewhere so why not at Sam Houston or any other FCS program? Most of the transfers that Sam Houston gets played high school football in Texas anyway.
We have 12 on the roster. 5 that start.

name- previous school- position- previous experience

LeMay- UGA -2nd string QB- Recorded two throws @ UGA

*Sigler- Auburn-DT

*Gonzalez- USF-WR- 10 catches at USF

Clemons- Kentucky- Third string RB

Wynn- Arkansas- scout RB- No snaps @Arkansas

*Miller- Southern Miss-SS

Fanning- Bama- DE

Roberts- UAB-DE- Redshirted before transferring, no snaps

Wood- Ole Miss-DL-Did not play at Miss

*Landrum- Aubur*-DE-played only one game vs. New Mexico State

*Carson- Tennessee-NT-Did not play, was walk on

Sterling- Wazzou-DL-Redshirted, no games

*Denotes starter

JaxSinfonian
December 27th, 2015, 11:24 PM

There's one offensive lineman who transferred from a junior college team. The rest have been here since graduating high school.

As for the QB, the one responsible for about 300 yards of offense and three touchdowns in three quarters of play also came to JSU from high school. UGA transfer Christian LeMay came on in the fourth once the game was out of reach. He's seen a lot of that kind of duty this year.

And who cares if a FCS school takes transfers? Players would end up somewhere so why not at Sam Houston or any other FCS program?

I'm with you here. I'd like for someone on the other side of this argument to explain to me why any player for whom it doesn't work out at an FBS school should no longer play college football at all. This is a legitimate recruiting channel.

Big_Fan
December 28th, 2015, 04:09 AM

Others have already commented with corrections, but this post was just made to hate. As someone has already stated, our 2nd team QB is a transfer from UGA, and truthfully, he would probably be the starter at a lot of schools. When you say "their QB," the implication is the starting QB. Eli was never anything but a Gamecock. I don't know why you would just make something like that up and throw it out there.
I don't know if you noticed in our game, but we rotate a lot of defensive linemen. Only a few are transfers... sure, some start, but their have been games where we had nothing but JSU recruits in due to injuries.

I agree with you that transfers are no big deal - as long as they are not low character guys. Some teams take a lot of second chancers that turn into cancers. We have a couple of players who had minor troubles at their first stop, but most were just looking for playing time. One of our "bigtime SEC" DL that people like to go on about, was a walk-on at Tennessee. He was never going to see the field so he transferred to JSU.

JSUSoutherner
December 30th, 2015, 09:10 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/30/4ab1d976cfc7a3e1e712c5f1d357043f.jpg

FormerPokeCenter
December 30th, 2015, 10:12 PM
I've heard from a generally reliable source that he was the first applicant...

TheRevSFA
December 30th, 2015, 10:13 PM
Yeah I have a feeling Keeler put this out so it doesn't effect recruiting.

But I still think he goes

IBleedYellow
December 30th, 2015, 10:20 PM

Enjoy the FBS, Coach.

clenz
December 30th, 2015, 11:36 PM
That tweet screams one of two things

1. He gone. That's the coach speak equivalent of the owner/ad vote of confidence in the HC

Or

2. He wanted it, applied and wanted it bad. He discovered he wasn't going to get it so now he is going over the top to show he "didn't want to"

Given his lack of qualifier of "at this time" or something to that affect I'm betting on number 2

Bisonoline
December 31st, 2015, 12:06 AM

Didnt he say that before going to SHSU?

Grizzlies82
December 31st, 2015, 09:29 AM

I fully agree that for many coaches the 'smart' move would be to not take the bait of coaching a turnaround train wreck program. We've seen that ploy fail repeatedly with former Montana coaches.

Yet the "take simply for the money" tendency is completely understandable. The FBS pay scale isn't just a slight increase, or a 40% bump, the increase is often three times what the FCS coach currently makes. So a confident guy, who can triple his pay, is pretty easy prey to the mistaken concept that "I know I can turn that program around".

Professor Chaos
December 31st, 2015, 09:48 AM
I fully agree that for many coaches the 'smart' move would be to not take the bait of coaching a turnaround train wreck program. We've seen that ploy fail repeatedly with former Montana coaches.

Yet the "take simply for the money" tendency is completely understandable. The FBS pay scale isn't just a slight increase, or a 40% bump, the increase is often three times what the FCS coach currently makes. So a confident guy, who can triple his pay, is pretty easy prey to the mistaken concept that "I know I can turn that program around".
And in the "it's about who you know" coaching community it really doesn't matter if a guy crashes and burns at a crappy program for his future in the coaching biz. He can go to Craphole State, make 7 figures for a few years, get fired, and then if he wants to coach after that instead of retiring in Vegas one of his buddies will be waiting to give him a coordinator position elsewhere.

CockyGeek
December 31st, 2015, 09:52 AM
Go look at a list of FBS salaries. You can be at a complete dumpster fire and make a million or be at a top level FCS program and make $200k tops. Loyalty goes out the window.

clenz
December 31st, 2015, 10:22 AM
Iowa State's new staff and their pay

OC / OL coach Tom Manning ($250k)
DBs coach DK McDonald ($175k)
WRs coach Bryan Gassser ($150k)
TEs coach / recruiting coordinator Alex Golesh ($210k)
LBs coach Tyson Veidt ($190k)
director of scouting John Kuceyeski ($80k)
DFO Greg Brabenac ($80k)

So, that's position coaches at one of the "lowest funded" and worst P5 schools making more than many FCS head coaches.

Most of these guys were at Toledo with Matt Campbell, Iowa State's new HC. That ties directly to the "it's who you know". The guys that get to be HC will pull their assistants with them everywhere then when they get fired the guy that brought them up/was on their staff and is now the "big man" will bring them on.

There's a reason not many FBS coaches, even position guys, stop in the FCS for more than a few years and almost never come back.

centennial
December 31st, 2015, 11:17 AM
Go look at a list of FBS salaries. You can be at a complete dumpster fire and make a million or be at a top level FCS program and make $200k tops. Loyalty goes out the window.

Majority of the MVFC is more than 200k. The NDSU coach made north of 350k if you combine the media stuff. UNI is also above 300k. We aren't that much off from low level MAC or Sun Belt.

clenz
December 31st, 2015, 11:30 AM
Majority of the MVFC is more than 200k. The NDSU coach made north of 350k if you combine the media stuff. UNI is also above 300k. We aren't that much off from low level MAC or Sun Belt.
Ability to jump to significantly higher pay after a few years is significantly higher from MAC than MVFC

BEAR
December 31st, 2015, 11:59 AM

Bill tells Hillary that daily...xlolx He put it on the internet.....so it must be true.

JSUSoutherner
December 31st, 2015, 01:53 PM
Bill tells Hillary that daily...xlolx He put it on the internet.....so it must be true.

And I'm a French model... Bon jour.