PDA

View Full Version : Post playoff team rankings.

awBison
December 22nd, 2015, 10:52 PM
What is your final ranking of teams?
I'll take a shot at the top 5:

1). NDSU
2). JSU
3). UNI
4). Chattanooga
5). Sam Houston (despite them playing a really bad game).

I think 3&4 would have been a nearly evenly matched in a game and could
go either way. Both very strong teams. That would have been a fun game to watch.
In fact I'm not convinced that UNI wouldn't be able to
take JSU if they had a really strong day and JSU had a weak day.

I wish we got to see some more of these matchups once in a while just
to see how the top teams play each other. It is really tough to judge the
relative strengths of different teams when they never get to play each other.
Kinda have to just go by conference playoff histories and try to guess from there.

JSUSoutherner
December 22nd, 2015, 10:53 PM
1.) JSU
2.) NDSU
3.) Chattanooga
4.)UNI
5.) Richmond

BisonFan02
December 22nd, 2015, 10:55 PM
TBD.......way too soon.

Professor Chaos
December 22nd, 2015, 10:58 PM
NDSU and JSU are and will be 1 and 2. In what order we'll find out on the field.

After that I'd say Richmond, Illinois St, Chatty and Chuck South deserve consideration for the top 5.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 22nd, 2015, 11:02 PM
I was really impressed with Charleston Southern. If JSU plays well in the title game they'll end up in my Top 5. I think UNI deserves consideration.

I'll likely have SHSU around 8-10. They're good but they benefited a bit by some favorable matchups. McNeese got screwed a bit imo by having to face them a second time. The rematches in the playoffs this year sucked in general...

awBison
December 22nd, 2015, 11:07 PM
TBD.......way too soon.
What more is there to determine? We pretty much know how everyone matched up except NDSU and JSU as good as we are going to know.
Even if there happens to be a blowout either way in the championship game I'm not sure that it would change the overall rankings of the
other teams a whole lot. I don't think I'd put SDSU in the top 5. Or any other team. McNeese and ISU are really tough to tell for me.
Did they just have bad games or where they just over-rated? I'm thinking they just had bad games but who knows. SDSU did beat them
late in the year but then again we got beat by USD so who really knows. I'd probably put ISU at 6 and McNeese at 7.

1). NDSU
2). JSU
3). UNI
4). Chattanooga
6). ISU
7). McNeese
8). Charleston Southern
9). Richmond
10). Montana? SDSU?

I think Richmond had one of the more talented teams skill wise but they just didn't have the
size and strength to match up.

BisonTru
December 22nd, 2015, 11:26 PM
Here's my five minutes of effort... so like most weeks.:D

Jacksonville St

North Dakota St

Northern Iowa

Chattanooga

Charleston S

Richmond

Illinois St

The Citadel

South Dakota St

Sam Houston

Portland St

Montana

Western Ill

Southern Utah

McNeese St

William & Mary

Coastal Carolina

Fordham

James Madison

Colgate

Western Carolina

Youngstown St

Eastern Ill

South Dakota

Villanova

Lehigh'98
December 23rd, 2015, 06:30 AM
What more is there to determine? We pretty much know how everyone matched up except NDSU and JSU as good as we are going to know.
Even if there happens to be a blowout either way in the championship game I'm not sure that it would change the overall rankings of the
other teams a whole lot. I don't think I'd put SDSU in the top 5. Or any other team. McNeese and ISU are really tough to tell for me.
Did they just have bad games or where they just over-rated? I'm thinking they just had bad games but who knows. SDSU did beat them
late in the year but then again we got beat by USD so who really knows. I'd probably put ISU at 6 and McNeese at 7.

1). NDSU
2). JSU
3). UNI
4). Chattanooga
6). ISU
7). McNeese
8). Charleston Southern
9). Richmond
10). Montana? SDSU?

I think Richmond had one of the more talented teams skill wise but they just didn't have the
size and strength to match up.

Sorry man, but ranking ISU three spots ahead of Richmond after the beating Richmond put on them at their place when it mattered is absolutely terrible.

PAllen
December 23rd, 2015, 07:47 AM
Sorry man, but ranking ISU three spots ahead of Richmond after the beating Richmond put on them at their place when it mattered is absolutely terrible.

But, but, MVFC man.

Bisonator
December 23rd, 2015, 07:56 AM
other teams a whole lot.
It could for some. Depends on the game unfolds. If one team absolutely dominates the other then you could make a case for the teams that the winner faced were better then the others. I'm gonna hold off until the final game is played.

UNIFanSince1983
December 23rd, 2015, 08:06 AM
Yeah just like I don't think ranking SDSU ahead of Montana is right either.

BisonFan02
December 23rd, 2015, 08:24 AM
It could for some. Depends on the game unfolds. If one team absolutely dominates the other then you could make a case for the teams that the winner faced were better then the others. I'm gonna hold off until the final game is played.

Bingo......

McNeese75
December 23rd, 2015, 08:27 AM
Somebody is really bored to start this up xeyebrowx

Sam_Kats
December 23rd, 2015, 12:49 PM
LOL. Who gives a &uc#??

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 23rd, 2015, 01:12 PM
But, but, MVFC man.

I saw in another thread that one or more of the MVFC teams may have been over rated this seasonxsmiley_wix

CFBfan
December 23rd, 2015, 02:53 PM

Jacksonville St

North Dakota St

Northern Iowa

Chattanooga

Charleston S

Richmond

Illinois St

The Citadel

South Dakota St

Sam Houston

Portland St

Montana

Western Ill

Southern Utah

McNeese St

William & Mary

Coastal Carolina

Fordham

James Madison

Colgate

Western Carolina

Youngstown St

Eastern Ill

South Dakota

Villanova

you can't put Fordham ahead of Colgate. Colgate beat them and won the league along with 2 playoff games while FU was 1 and done

BisonTru
December 23rd, 2015, 02:56 PM
you can't put Fordham ahead of Colgate. Colgate beat them and won the league along with 2 playoff games while FU was 1 and done

Fair critique. I really only spent 5 minutes throwing that together. I'll spend more time on the final. FWIW, Massey still has Fordham higher.

CFBfan
December 23rd, 2015, 02:58 PM
Fair critique. I really only spent 5 minutes throwing that together. I'll spend more time on the final. FWIW, Massey still has Fordham higher.

hey, you gat it started! that's the hardest part!

tomq04
December 23rd, 2015, 03:36 PM
How do we feel about this?

1. JSU
2. NDSU
3. UNI
4. Ill St
5. SDSU
6. Rest of the MVC
7. SHSU
8. Portland State

thebootfitter
December 23rd, 2015, 03:44 PM

1. JSU
2. NDSU
3. UNI
4. Ill St
5. SDSU
6. Rest of the MVC
7. SHSU
8. Portland State
Obviously the first two could be swapped, pending the outcome of the final. Lehigh is a bit too high, IMHO. Montana and USD should probably be up there a bit higher, since they both beat NDSU. You might want to separate Misery State from the rest of the MVFC. But yeah... other than that... yeah... looks about right. ;)

Bisonator
December 23rd, 2015, 03:56 PM

1. NDSU
2. JSU
3. UNI
4. Richmond
5. SDSU
6. Rest of the MVC
7. Montana
8. Portland State
FIFY!:D

thebootfitter
December 23rd, 2015, 03:56 PM
I saw in another thread that one or more of the MVFC teams may have been over rated this seasonxsmiley_wix
That's WITHIN the MVFC, though. C'mon... gotta keep it in context. :p

I didn't follow ISUr very closely this year, but based on the box scores and discussions on here of several of their games, I do think they probably were getting too much credit in the polls (probably at least partially due to their performance in the championship game last year). They performed when it counted up until that Richmond game, though, so some of that credit is fair. (Of course, the Richmond game counted the most.)

The common objective measures (Sagarin, Massey, etc.) still show the MVFC a step above the other conferences. While there may be some issues with the objective measures themselves, I haven't seen anybody spell them out and make a convincing argument otherwise. And other than a few anecdotal games that don't support the idea, the out of conference record for the past two years certainly supports that idea that overall, the MVFC is currently a step above the other conferences.

These things go in cycles, of course, and another team in another conference could start getting hot and help elevate the rest of that conference.

Back on topic, I think it's pretty clear that the best two teams in the FCS right now are facing off in Frisco. I'm very much looking forward to being there and seeing it live! As far as the rest... I'd rather wait to see how the final plays out before trying to rank any of the other teams.

Lehigh'98
December 23rd, 2015, 04:28 PM
That's WITHIN the MVFC, though. C'mon... gotta keep it in context. :p

I didn't follow ISUr very closely this year, but based on the box scores and discussions on here of several of their games, I do think they probably were getting too much credit in the polls (probably at least partially due to their performance in the championship game last year). They performed when it counted up until that Richmond game, though, so some of that credit is fair. (Of course, the Richmond game counted the most.)

The common objective measures (Sagarin, Massey, etc.) still show the MVFC a step above the other conferences. While there may be some issues with the objective measures themselves, I haven't seen anybody spell them out and make a convincing argument otherwise. And other than a few anecdotal games that don't support the idea, the out of conference record for the past two years certainly supports that idea that overall, the MVFC is currently a step above the other conferences.

These things go in cycles, of course, and another team in another conference could start getting hot and help elevate the rest of that conference.

Back on topic, I think it's pretty clear that the best two teams in the FCS right now are facing off in Frisco. I'm very much looking forward to being there and seeing it live! As far as the rest... I'd rather wait to see how the final plays out before trying to rank any of the other teams.

They are at the moment, but all anyone is going to remember from this era is the NDSU reign of dominance. How many NC's would the MVFC have the since 2011 if you take out NDSU out of the picture? I would give you Ill St last year. Towson probably in 2013. Gotta believe Sam would find a way to win at least 1 in 11 & 12. Jax St looks to be the choice this year.

Take out NDSU and the conference parity becomes a hell of a lot more even the past 5 years. Of course you can't do that in real life, but the conference is benefiting a bunch from the Bison.

BisonFan02
December 23rd, 2015, 04:35 PM
They are at the moment, but all anyone is going to remember from this era is the NDSU reign of dominance. How many NC's would the MVFC have the since 2011 if you take out NDSU out of the picture? I would give you Ill St last year. Towson probably in 2013. Gotta believe Sam would find a way to win at least 1 in 11 & 12. Jax St looks to be the choice this year.

Take out NDSU and the conference parity becomes a hell of a lot more even the past 5 years. Of course you can't do that in real life, but the conference is benefiting a bunch from the Bison.

I might be biased....but if you watch game film from 2008 and prior versus now, the overall level of play in the MVFC has improved quite a bit...especially from a consistency standpoint. I think that has a lot to do with NDSU/SDSU et al forcing the rest of the league to up their game.

thebootfitter
December 23rd, 2015, 05:01 PM
Jax St looks to be the choice this year.
I take no issue with the rest of your post, but I'm curious about this statement. Is there really something tangible that leads you to this conclusion? Is it just wishful thinking? Maybe you've posted your reasons elsewhere that I've missed, but in my opinion, the title game is really anybody's guess right now. Not enough common data points to call. Both very solid teams that are playing great football right now.

What justification do you have to call Jax St the favorite at this point?

CSU18
December 23rd, 2015, 05:07 PM
Anyone that puts SHSU in front of CSU or Chatty (maybe even top 10) is on some good drugs. I don't care if they had a "bad game" or not, they got worked. A top 10 team doesn't get beat by 52 to another top 10 team. No way.....no how.

Lehigh'98
December 23rd, 2015, 05:26 PM
I take no issue with the rest of your post, but I'm curious about this statement. Is there really something tangible that leads you to this conclusion? Is it just wishful thinking? Maybe you've posted your reasons elsewhere that I've missed, but in my opinion, the title game is really anybody's guess right now. Not enough common data points to call. Both very solid teams that are playing great football right now.

What justification do you have to call Jax St the favorite at this point?

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I was saying it would be their year if NDSU wasn't there. I was saying that, at most the MVFC would have 1-2 Nattys if the Bison were not around. I do think Jax St has a decent shot, but I think the -4 is about right.

thebootfitter
December 23rd, 2015, 05:37 PM
Perhaps I wasn't clear. I was saying it would be their year if NDSU wasn't there. I was saying that, at most the MVFC would have 1-2 Nattys if the Bison were not around. I do think Jax St has a decent shot, but I think the -4 is about right.
Gotcha. Makes sense to me.

thebootfitter
December 23rd, 2015, 05:41 PM
A top 10 team doesn't get beat by 52 to another top 10 team. No way.....no how.

You've got some valid points (Not sure I'd have Sammy higher than either of those teams), but it does happen. When the wheels come off, things can go downhill in a hurry. Truly good teams SHOULD be able to fight back, but there is a concept known as Any Given Saturday.

NY Crusader 2010
December 23rd, 2015, 06:40 PM

You also forgot the Ivy League. Massey has Harvard and Dartmouth at 5 and 6. I'd put both way ahead of Fordham.

BisonTru
December 23rd, 2015, 06:44 PM
You also forgot the Ivy League. Massey has Harvard and Dartmouth at 5 and 6. I'd put both way ahead of Fordham.

I left the Ivys off, cuz I didn't want to take the time to figure out where they fit. Also, if I rank the Ivys where I feel they fit then I have to deal with the Ivy-haters.

They'll be in my final.

Houndawg
December 23rd, 2015, 06:53 PM

I think NDSU had several tougher games than Richmond in conference play - agree they should be ahead of ISU.

Cocky
December 23rd, 2015, 09:07 PM

1. JSU
2. NDSU
3. UNI
4. Ill St
5. SDSU
6. Rest of the MVC
7. SHSU
8. Portland State
Auburn should be 1.

ming01
December 24th, 2015, 01:56 PM
1. NDSU
2. JSU
3. UNI
4. Richmond
5. ISU
6. Chatty
7. SHSU
8. Montana
9. SDSU
10. CSU
11. Portland State
12. SUU
13. McNeese St
14. The Citadel
15. CCU
16. Colgate
17. William & Mary
18. JMU
19. WIU
20. NAU
21. EWU
22. Liberty
23. UND
24. Fordham
25. Towson

NDB
December 24th, 2015, 02:08 PM
NDSU/JSU
UNI

after that
don't know. don't care

Lehigh'98
December 24th, 2015, 04:38 PM
Colgate > SUU. Quarterfinals vs. 1st round exit. Sorry

Cocky
December 24th, 2015, 04:44 PM
NDSU/JSU winner
UTC/UNI flip a coin
CSU
SHSU
Richmond
ISUr
McNeese
Montana
SDSU
Portland St

May change my mind in a few minutes

dgtw
December 25th, 2015, 07:19 AM
I thought NC A&T was the national champion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Cats
December 25th, 2015, 01:56 PM

Jacksonville St

North Dakota St

Northern Iowa

Chattanooga

Charleston S

Richmond

Illinois St

The Citadel

South Dakota St

Sam Houston

Portland St

Montana

Western Ill

Southern Utah

McNeese St

William & Mary

Coastal Carolina

Fordham

James Madison

Colgate

Western Carolina

Youngstown St

Eastern Ill

South Dakota

Villanova

A lot of good that does Western Carolina now....

stevdock
December 25th, 2015, 07:20 PM
Just curious but if NDSU beats JSU by 3 TD's does UNI move to #2 in some of your polls?? I think you could make that case.

Cocky
December 25th, 2015, 07:23 PM
Just curious but if NDSU beats JSU by 3 TD's does UNI move to #2 in some of your polls?? I think you could make that case.
If JSU wins by 3 TDs does UTC move to 2?

stevdock
December 25th, 2015, 07:29 PM

Considering I don't remember the last time we lost by 3 TD's, I'll say sure ;) I just looked it up and it was Oct. 8th 2005.

Cocky
December 25th, 2015, 07:33 PM
Considering I don't remember the last time we lost by 3 TD's, I'll say sure ;) I just looked it up and it was Oct. 8th 2005.
Then I say you answered your own question.

stevdock
December 25th, 2015, 07:43 PM
Then I say you answered your own question.

Looks like you guys are good for a 21 pt beatdown once a year and since you haven't yet, here it comes???? ;)

FUBeAR
December 25th, 2015, 08:47 PM

Actually...since Mercer was the only other FCS Team to beat UTC... :D

Go...gate
December 25th, 2015, 10:11 PM
Colgate at #20 and #16. Last time I looked, we made the final eight......

JSUSoutherner
December 26th, 2015, 03:18 PM
Actually...since Mercer was the only other FCS Team to beat UTC... :D

1.) JSU
2.) NDSU
3.) Mercer ;)
4.) Chatty
5.) UNI

FUBeAR
December 26th, 2015, 03:58 PM
1.) JSU
2.) NDSU
3.) Mercer ;)
4.) Chatty
5.) UNI

Obviously, a gratuitous post begging for Rep Points - Happy to oblige xnodx :D

JSUSoutherner
December 26th, 2015, 04:00 PM
Obviously, a gratuitous post begging for Rep Points - Happy to oblige xnodx :D

Nah, you guys got screwed this year. Several of my friends at home and at work are Mercer fans so I always try to keep up with you guys. Hopefully we can see each other a playoff game next year. You guys were better than a lot realize this year.

Twentysix
December 27th, 2015, 01:38 AM
Colgate at #20 and #16. Last time I looked, we made the final eight......

Indeed you did. Fight for your rightful place on a message board posters made up list. xthumbsupx

dgtw
December 27th, 2015, 04:05 AM
1. TBD
2. TBD
3-20. Who cares

SeattleGriz
December 27th, 2015, 10:02 PM
Lots of love for a UNI team that had less total yardage than Montana vs NDSU.

UNI got owned just as badly as Montana.

Professor Chaos
December 28th, 2015, 04:19 PM
Lots of love for a UNI team that had less total yardage than Montana vs NDSU.

UNI got owned just as badly as Montana.
Come on man, Montana wasn't even close to being as competitive with NDSU in the playoffs as UNI was. Take away all the turnovers that Montana committed that UNI didn't and you'd have a point but turnovers are a huge part of the game.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 28th, 2015, 04:39 PM
Colgate should be fringe Top 15. Fordham will likely end the year ranked but I'm not sure they should. They fell off a cliff the last month of the year...

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 28th, 2015, 07:18 PM
I could understand the argument that UNI would be ahead of Richmond but i don't see how the Spiders could be any worse than 4th in the final poll.

How many of the Top 10 return more than 16 starters, like we do?

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 28th, 2015, 07:19 PM
Colgate should be fringe Top 15. Fordham will likely end the year ranked but I'm not sure they should. They fell off a cliff the last month of the year...

The Raiders should be around #10, IMO.

JSUSoutherner
December 28th, 2015, 07:20 PM
I could understand the argument that UNI would be ahead of Richmond but i don't see how the Spiders could be any worse than 4th in the final poll.

How many starters you are returning would influence preseason polls for next year. It has zero to do with your ranking for this year.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 28th, 2015, 10:20 PM
How many starters you are returning would influence preseason polls for next year. It has zero to do with your ranking for this year.

No kidding. Remarkable stuff. Thank you.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 29th, 2015, 06:47 AM
Come on man, Montana wasn't even close to being as competitive with NDSU in the playoffs as UNI was. Take away all the turnovers that Montana committed that UNI didn't and you'd have a point but turnovers are a huge part of the game.

This here.

UNI is head and shoulders above Montana.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 29th, 2015, 06:48 AM

IIRC, NDSU will return 14 next year....with 8 on defense.

Sammy94
December 29th, 2015, 08:16 AM
Colgate > SUU. Quarterfinals vs. 1st round exit. Sorry

SUU would have crushed Colgate.

Professor Chaos
December 29th, 2015, 09:49 AM
IIRC, NDSU will return 14 next year....with 8 on defense.
Depends on how you classify Stick. If he's considered a returning starter it'll be 15 (8 on defense and 7 on offense).

AmsterBison
December 29th, 2015, 10:00 AM

The flip side is true too.... how many national titles would NDSU have had if they were in, say, the Big Sky rather than the MVFC? The Bison might have been in for some rude awakenings come playoff time.

BTW, heck if I'm going to do a ranking before the title game is done. :)

GetEmGriz
December 29th, 2015, 12:15 PM

The fact that Montana's defense only allowed NDSU's offense 17 points for the amount of time they spent on the field and in not so great field position says a lot. Really, Montana's defense was the only part of Montana that was competitive. If Montana's offense would have actually excecuted and not thrown 4 interceptions, it would have been a much more competitive game.

Bisonator
December 29th, 2015, 01:41 PM
The fact that Montana's defense only allowed NDSU's offense 17 points for the amount of time they spent on the field and in not so great field position says a lot. Really, Montana's defense was the only part of Montana that was competitive. If Montana's offense would have actually excecuted and not thrown 4 interceptions, it would have been a much more competitive game.
And now your DC has left for your rival. Stitt happens!xcoffeex

Bisonoline
December 29th, 2015, 08:29 PM

You think?

SeattleGriz
December 31st, 2015, 10:11 AM
And now your DC has left for your rival. Stitt happens!xcoffeex
I'm actually pretty happy our D coordinator left. He seemed to get his ass handed to his defense too many times. While our D was good, it was never a great D.

centennial
December 31st, 2015, 04:43 PM
You do also realize that NDSU did not need to score because of the defensive plays? I do agree the defense played well, but it isn't like we were under any pressure. NDSU doesn't usually run up the score. We did score 59 on WIU and 55 on Missouri State, but we only won against Weber 44-14, UND 34-9, SDSU 28-7, Richmond 33-7; all games that we could have hit 2-3 more touchdowns.

Daytripper
December 31st, 2015, 05:08 PM
A more legitimate question is how will teams be ranked in next year's pre-season?

JSUSoutherner
December 31st, 2015, 05:20 PM
A more legitimate question is how will teams be ranked in next year's pre-season?
That's a question for the off season.

Oh wait, that's right. My bad. xthumbsupx

Bisonwinagn
January 2nd, 2016, 04:58 PM

Agreed, but let's wait at least another week or two until after final polls. Then have at it.