PDA

View Full Version : Chattanooga WR coach and recruiting coordinator, new austin Peay coach

chattownmocs
December 21st, 2015, 08:29 PM
http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/30802114/utcs-will-healy-to-coach-austin-peay-huesman-he-will-do-a-great-job

It looks like some other mocs position coaches will join him including marcus west as d coordinator.

CockyGeek
December 21st, 2015, 08:34 PM
Do they know about the sinkhole?

The Grass is greener in Jacksonville

JSUSoutherner
December 21st, 2015, 08:35 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/21/4280fe5fa7dac8d70cb60df1fb9bb9ae.jpg

chattownmocs
December 21st, 2015, 08:37 PM
These are dynamic young guys. Will healy is only 30 and a very proven recruiter, but very green and far from proven as even a position coach. We will see how it goes.

JSUSoutherner
December 21st, 2015, 08:41 PM
These are dynamic young guys. Will healy is only 30 and a very proven recruiter, but very green and far from proven as even a position coach. We will see how it goes.

But... It's Austin Peay. The 0-11 OVC powerhouse.

chattownmocs
December 21st, 2015, 08:43 PM
But... It's Austin Peay. The 0-11 OVC powerhouse.

But...what? Did you even read the post. I didn't say they were going to do well.

JSUSoutherner
December 21st, 2015, 08:44 PM
But...what? Did you even read the post. I didn't say they were going to do well.

I just can't see why it would be attractive to him to go to APSU, he could do so much better. But I mean if it's what he wants, good for him. I hope he flips APSU around and takes a bit of the suck out of our conference.

Maybe he didn't want to miss his 2016 dose of Jax State beatdown? ;)

CockyGeek
December 21st, 2015, 08:45 PM
They could be competitive in 3-4 years. Just takes some good recruiting. Offer some guys some playing time that wouldn't get it at UT or wherever.

The Grass is greener in Jacksonville

chattownmocs
December 21st, 2015, 08:53 PM
Some of our fans seem to think he will be able to raid our current recruiting class. That would be a good start.

ur2k
December 21st, 2015, 09:49 PM
He's a Spider. Good luck.

Back up QB on the 2008 championship team

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 21st, 2015, 09:58 PM
Some of our fans seem to think he will be able to raid our current recruiting class. That would be a good start.

Will is a Chattanooga native and Russ broke him into coaching. I don't think you have anything to worry about here.

Good luck, Will. I think he's got it in him.

Bisonoline
December 22nd, 2015, 12:15 AM
I just can't see why it would be attractive to him to go to APSU, he could do so much better. But I mean if it's what he wants, good for him. I hope he flips APSU around and takes a bit of the suck out of our conference.

Maybe he didn't want to miss his 2016 dose of Jax State beatdown? ;)

I guess you dont understand the ladder one must climb in the coaching profession. Sometimes its not the fact you were overly successful at a certain school but the experience derived from that stop in your journey.

Milktruck74
December 22nd, 2015, 06:59 AM
If he can get a .500 season out of AP in 3 or4 years, he gets to move on to a Small FBS school as a Coordinator.....it all about $$$$$ and moving up. Who knows, maybe in 5-7 years when Russ is ready to hang it up, HE will be ready to take over the reigns at Chattanooga????

Bisonator
December 22nd, 2015, 07:02 AM
This is kind of different route to take for a HC. Usually a position coach gets a coordinator gig first then a HC opportunity comes along. Does he have any other ties to AP?

chattownmocs
December 22nd, 2015, 07:27 AM
This is kind of different route to take for a HC. Usually a position coach gets a coordinator gig first then a HC opportunity comes along. Does he have any other ties to AP?

No, high school in chattanooga, backup qb at richmond, position coach at utc. It's an unorthodox hire, but he really is a Rockstar on the recruiting trail and if you look at the finalists, it's not like AP had many home run opportunities. I think the ability to bring a guy like marcus west who has done nothing but produce all American d lineman after another was a major coup for him as well as austin peay.

Milktruck74
December 22nd, 2015, 07:28 AM
Nope. Just a known name, considered an up and comer. He is from Chattanooga and Chattanooga produces a solid crop of HS talent, so AP is probably looking at that, along with his past ability to recruit ATL and Nashville.....Let's face the facts, APSU isn't pulling talent from too far away, so when they see Nashville, Chattanooga and Atlanta...they salivate. That coupled with the fact that they didn't win a game last year....there is only an up side to this gig..... At 34 he will have been a HC for 4 years that turned a program from a 0-11 to .500. If he can go 2-9, 3-8 and then win 6 in year 3 or 4..... he can write his ticket.

chattownmocs
December 22nd, 2015, 07:32 AM
Im not 100% on austin peay's facilities, but I don't buy that you can't win there any more than I bought that you can't win at utc. Just takes the right hire.

PaladinFan
December 22nd, 2015, 07:44 AM

It is a bit unorthodox, but it is also Austin Peay. What do they have to lose taking a home run cut on a guy? They, honestly, cannot get worse.

It is a risk for the coach, though.

Cocky
December 22nd, 2015, 08:07 AM
Who turned them down other than Chip Lindsey (who is now the AZ St OC)?

JaxSinfonian
December 22nd, 2015, 08:17 AM
Hiring someone from a program that has turned itself into a winner is a good idea. I imagine there's a whole lot of cultural change needed at Austin Peay, and the folks from Chattanooga will know what the goal looks like.

AP's investment in its facilities (http://www.apsu.edu/stadium)is a sign that at least someone up there is serious about turning things around. I haven't been there, but the photos show a big upgrade, even if the place is still small.

The Governors will eventually be better than they are now. Step 1: Win a game.

walliver
December 22nd, 2015, 10:38 AM
At some point, an assistant has to make a move, and it usually requires some risk. Does he stay at Chatty and hope Huesman takes him with him when he moves or moves up in the Chatty hierarchy - but what if Huesman stays around for another decade? Taking over a winless team will give him a few years before he really needs to start winning.

AP may be a dumpster fire, but Charleston Southern was in the same situation prior to Chadwell.

PaladinFan
December 23rd, 2015, 06:41 AM
At some point, an assistant has to make a move, and it usually requires some risk. Does he stay at Chatty and hope Huesman takes him with him when he moves or moves up in the Chatty hierarchy - but what if Huesman stays around for another decade? Taking over a winless team will give him a few years before he really needs to start winning.

AP may be a dumpster fire, but Charleston Southern was in the same situation prior to Chadwell.

It's a good question. Huseman is in his mid-50s, living in a great city, and coaching at his alma mater. He is the same age as Willie Fritz. Hard for a FBS program to really make a 4-5 year commitment to a guy that will soon be in his 60s.

It really wouldn't surprise me to see Huseman just stay at UTC. He's got a successful thing going there.

dgtw
December 23rd, 2015, 08:34 AM
I doubt he will leave unless he gets a really sweet offer. Does he have any other kids still in school? That could be a factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chattownmocs
December 23rd, 2015, 09:05 AM
I doubt he will leave unless he gets a really sweet offer. Does he have any other kids still in school? That could be a factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He has anot her son. Probably 11 or 12 years old. Of course he moved to this job before Jacobs junior year so I wouldn't think that would stop him. He may not leave, don't know that anyone is trying to hire him either.

Milktruck74
December 23rd, 2015, 10:27 AM
An FBS program is going to have to drop some cash (I think its $1.2MM until 2019) to buy out Russ. He isn't going anywhere for another 4 years. No FBS school is going to be willing to drop a million blue sky to pull him away......win a few NCs, maybe. However, by then his second child will be a Junior at Baylor School...They think they are firmly entrenched. I would see a chance that Jacob comes back and Joins the staff.....works up to OC and takes the reigns, but that will take 10 years. Lots of football to be played between now and then.

Nor Eastern
December 23rd, 2015, 12:20 PM
It's a good question. Huseman is in his mid-50s, living in a great city, and coaching at his alma mater. He is the same age as Willie Fritz. Hard for a FBS program to really make a 4-5 year commitment to a guy that will soon be in his 60s.

It really wouldn't surprise me to see Huseman just stay at UTC. He's got a successful thing going there.

I personally think Huesman, since his kid is now gone, will be looking for a good ol' paycheck. Texas State just lost their coach. He would do well there.

chattownmocs
December 23rd, 2015, 02:08 PM
An FBS program is going to have to drop some cash (I think its $1.2MM until 2019) to buy out Russ. He isn't going anywhere for another 4 years. No FBS school is going to be willing to drop a million blue sky to pull him away......win a few NCs, maybe. However, by then his second child will be a Junior at Baylor School...They think they are firmly entrenched. I would see a chance that Jacob comes back and Joins the staff.....works up to OC and takes the reigns, but that will take 10 years. Lots of football to be played between now and then.

Haha. And then when Jacob moves up Levi can take over. They've got it spaced perfectly but Jacob needs to have a son soon to keep it going.

bostonspider
February 16th, 2016, 09:46 AM
Nice article on Will Healy

https://spiderathletics.exposure.co/from-captain-to-coach

SU DOG
February 16th, 2016, 12:13 PM
I don't pretend to know Coach Healy, but from everything I have read, I think APSU made a terrific hire. He certainly turned some heads with this signing class, which is not a typical Govs group. Just yesterday Healy named another young former Mocs coach in Wesley Satterfield as his OC.