PDA

View Full Version : UD Athletic Director Stepping Down

superman7515
December 21st, 2015, 11:43 AM
Eric Ziady is out, I mean, stepping down, effective 12/31. Best Christmas present I've received in years.

clenz
December 21st, 2015, 11:44 AM
Is it "too late" to save UD football?

Has enough damage been done, especially given the apparently lack of any fans under the age of about 40, to keep UD from making a massive turn around?

Honest questions. There's no way for me to have enough of a feel for the situation, given who I follow and where I live. That's just the sense I get from reading comments on here.

Lehigh'98
December 21st, 2015, 11:55 AM
They need to find some way to get the attendance back. What they did in 08 was a dumb move basically requiring loyal fans donate more $ (hope I'm saying that right). According to most Delaware posters that can't be done. I disagree, with a better schedule, wins and an outreach to the fans I think some of it could be repaired. A good hire here would start the process.

Bisonator
December 21st, 2015, 12:06 PM
Let's all hope UD makes the right hire and brings the football program back from the depths. It would be good for the entire subdivision.

32counter
December 21st, 2015, 12:38 PM
Ziady fired KC Keeler as one of his 1st acts as AD.Former Prez Harker brought Ziady in from BC.When Harker left UD the clock started to tick for Ziady.KC Keeler resurrected himself at Sam Houston with a pretty good team full of JUCO and FBS transfers.His getting to the FCS semifinals this year only added to Blue Hen misery.Ziady brought Brock in as HC from Rutgers.Now Brock's clock will begin to tick tock given the lack of recent Blue Hen gridiron success.Blue Hen boosters have likely begun to throw their weight around.

Dennis Assanis,provost and senior Vice President for Academic affairs at Stony Brook will become the next President of UD effective 7/1/16.

Brock has 2016 as his last opportunity to turn the football program around.Otherwise,bye-bye.

Professor Chaos
December 21st, 2015, 12:52 PM
Is there much rejoicing in Newark?

http://www.adweek.com/prnewser/files/2013/04/much-rejoicing1.gif

bluehenbillk
December 21st, 2015, 12:55 PM
Yes the UD faithful are very happy about the AD's departure. There is a new President that will come aboard sometime in the middle of 2016. So we'll have a new President & a new AD, and chances are unless UD returns to the playoffs in 2016 a new FB coach will be coming a year from now.

SENOREIDA
December 21st, 2015, 12:58 PM
Does this mean there is now a chance Delaware Stadium will get its much needed overhaul?

citdog
December 21st, 2015, 12:59 PM
I say... I say..., this is a good day for UD. BRAWK!!...

KPSUL
December 21st, 2015, 01:00 PM
Is it "too late" to save UD football?

Has enough damage been done, especially given the apparently lack of any fans under the age of about 40, to keep UD from making a massive turn around?

Honest questions. There's no way for me to have enough of a feel for the situation, given who I follow and where I live. That's just the sense I get from reading comments on here.

In short, I think the answer is yes they can make a turn around. There are already many of good athletes on the U of D squad, big strong O Lineman, good running backs and a bunch of good defenders all they need is a few players in some key positions (like a QB who can throw well) a coaching staff that has a new atitude and a better offensive strategy. I was at the UNH @ Delaware and there was a very good size crowd (18,000+?) and they got plenty enthusiastic, both in the first half when the game was close and the second when they pretty well trounced us. In addition, to beating UNH, Delaware beat William and Mary, and played close games with JMU and Villanova. Of course there was the biggest FCS head scratcher of 2015, a 20-0 road loss to URI, but according to the U of D guys posting here, Brock's coaching in that one was beyond terrible. Maybe they should kick Brock upstairs to the AD job and hire a new coach simultaneously so he can't screw the selection up.

KPSUL
December 21st, 2015, 01:03 PM
I say... I say..., this is a good day for UD. BRAWK!!...

Where is Mr Chicken? He must be out celebrating in the hen house!

Bisonator
December 21st, 2015, 01:09 PM

Those poor hens!xlolx

clenz
December 21st, 2015, 01:51 PM
In short, I think the answer is yes they can make a turn around. There are already many of good athletes on the U of D squad, big strong O Lineman, good running backs and a bunch of good defenders all they need is a few players in some key positions (like a QB who can throw well) a coaching staff that has a new atitude and a better offensive strategy. I was at the UNH @ Delaware and there was a very good size crowd (18,000+?) and they got plenty enthusiastic, both in the first half when the game was close and the second when they pretty well trounced us. In addition, to beating UNH, Delaware beat William and Mary, and played close games with JMU and Villanova. Of course there was the biggest FCS head scratcher of 2015, a 20-0 road loss to URI, but according to the U of D guys posting here, Brock's coaching in that one was beyond terrible. Maybe they should kick Brock upstairs to the AD job and hire a new coach simultaneously so he can't screw the selection up.
Does UD have a young enough fan base to support a sustained effort going forward to get back to 12-13k season ticket holders?

I know I'm playing into the stereotype some, but honest questions. From the outside things seem pretty bad/disenfranchised with that fan base

KPSUL
December 21st, 2015, 02:40 PM
Does UD have a young enough fan base to support a sustained effort going forward to get back to 12-13k season ticket holders?

I know I'm playing into the stereotype some, but honest questions. From the outside things seem pretty bad/disenfranchised with that fan base

Doesn't the issue of an aging fan base effective virtually all of FCS football equally? It hasn't been all that long since U of D went to the Championship game anyway; 2010.

If they could get 18,000 fans enthusiastic fans to a game this season, I'm sure they'll have no problem doing it when they start winning most their games again.

bluehenbillk
December 21st, 2015, 03:23 PM

UD's season ticket base is now around 6K. It was just over 11K at it's peak in 2008. There are still games that attract fans, but this comment won't resonate well with many here, but there are many UD fans & former fans that see FCS as a lower tier product & one that no longer excites them. Before you jump all over me, UD is sandwiched less than an hour between Philly & Baltimore and there is a lot of competition for the dollar.

You're not incorrect about UD having had & still having an older fanbase - the tailgating policies at UD have hampered student attendance at UD for years. All that being said, the attendance can come back, hell we've "bottomed out" at 15K per game, even though in reality that's an announced number, there are fewer actual fans in the stands. There's not much "wrong" with the stadium itself, you're right on top of the field & there's not a bad seat in the house. It may not be as new as some other stadiums but outside of JMU you wouldn't take another CAA stadium over it, put it this way, there is no close 3rd.

A good team may help - the coaching is atrocious & UD was 123 out of 123 in passing yardage this year, below triple option teams that don't throw the ball by design. If that doesn't describe the talent deficit offensively UD has nothing will.

clenz
December 21st, 2015, 03:34 PM
UD's season ticket base is now around 6K. It was just over 11K at it's peak in 2008. There are still games that attract fans, but this comment won't resonate well with many here, but there are many UD fans & former fans that see FCS as a lower tier product & one that no longer excites them. Before you jump all over me, UD is sandwiched less than an hour between Philly & Baltimore and there is a lot of competition for the dollar.

You're not incorrect about UD having had & still having an older fanbase - the tailgating policies at UD have hampered student attendance at UD for years. All that being said, the attendance can come back, hell we've "bottomed out" at 15K per game, even though in reality that's an announced number, there are fewer actual fans in the stands. There's not much "wrong" with the stadium itself, you're right on top of the field & there's not a bad seat in the house. It may not be as new as some other stadiums but outside of JMU you wouldn't take another CAA stadium over it, put it this way, there is no close 3rd.

A good team may help - the coaching is atrocious & UD was 123 out of 123 in passing yardage this year, below triple option teams that don't throw the ball by design. If that doesn't describe the talent deficit offensively UD has nothing will.
I'm not going to jump all over you for the sandwiched thing. I get it. I think the way most schools use it is crap, but in this case I get it.

I brought the age thing in, and yes I know every fan base has fans that get old, because UD is notorious for having old fans - even if slightly exaggerated. The way the program has shifted, the policies in place, etc.. .that have cut season ticket holders in half likely haven't help cultivate a younger generation of UD fans. Places like Montana, NDSU, UNI, SDSU, UD in the past, etc... have all had kids that grow up going to games with their families (be it parents, uncles/aunts, grandparents, cousins, friend's family). They have regenerated fans as the same rate/faster than they've lost them. It seems like the way that UD has driven the fan base away, and honestly families because of the increased donation mandates, that the younger generation of fans likely isn't real large right now.

I guess I didn't explain my first question well enough.

Given everything I mentioned above is UD in a position where the fans that "left" will come back in large enough/young enough numbers to keep UD from continuing to slide in the attendance/fan base size or even stagnating?

caribbeanhen
December 21st, 2015, 03:52 PM

your on to something here Kat...... Delaware actually had a pretty good D in 2015, the offense was a disgrace, no passing game to speak of.... to me, I thought it might even be worse for our RB's with the opposing teams knowing, but man.... William and Mary didn't seem to get the memo, nor did UNH, after Delaware beat William they were shut down by Rhode Island ..... gooseegg, zero points......

more to come about the Hens defense but with a serious upgrade a QB and WR meaning at least 2 one wont be good enough, Delaware will be right back in it, I guess the big question now is will Brock get canned

bluehenbillk
December 21st, 2015, 04:06 PM
Given everything I mentioned above is UD in a position where the fans that "left" will come back in large enough/young enough numbers to keep UD from continuing to slide in the attendance/fan base size or even stagnating?

Well the actual fans that left aren't coming back. But can UD grow those #'s back from 13-15K to 20K plus from other areas? Yes, but it will take time & maybe a change of scenery. Multiple things have to happen - the team has to get better, students need to be re-engaged, and possibly a change to FBS. The home schedule next year is 5 games: DelState, Stony Brook, Maine, Towson, Villanova. Only one game of interest for most fans in the lot.

caribbeanhen
December 21st, 2015, 04:11 PM
wow bluehenbillk, your sig line is pretty tough.... cant argue with it though....

Now that Brocks best buddy Zaidy is gone, is Brock gonna be around much longer?

bluehenbillk
December 21st, 2015, 04:37 PM
wow bluehenbillk, your sig line is pretty tough.... cant argue with it though....

Now that Brocks best buddy Zaidy is gone, is Brock gonna be around much longer?

You like that Carib? Thought of you Saturday watching New Mexico's offense / ran multiple formations including a four person I.

Brock is for all intensive purposes a lame duck. He could survive with a banner season but without skill position transfers I see another sub .500 season.

caribbeanhen
December 21st, 2015, 04:46 PM
You like that Carib? Thought of you Saturday watching New Mexico's offense / ran multiple formations including a four person I.

Brock is for all intensive purposes a lame duck. He could survive with a banner season but without skill position transfers I see another sub .500 season.

I'll check out that New mex 4 eye you mentioned, thanks...., if Brock is a lame duck he should go out swinging and load up the boat with transfers like his daddy KC haha

MR. CHICKEN
December 21st, 2015, 06:10 PM

.....AH WAS IN PHILLY MOST UH DAY.........ALL DUH HEN POSTERAHS...HAVE COVERED IT.......AH TOTALLAH AGREE WHIFF WHAT DEY'VE REPORTED....................xwavexBROCK!xwavex

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 21st, 2015, 09:36 PM
I think UD can get their attendance back to an elite level by FCS standards. It might not come all the way back by 17-19k on regular basis seems reasonable. The Tub is a fun place to tailgate and see a game. So even the casual fan would enjoy the atmosphere. The stadium does need to be renovated. The press box simply needs to be blown up.

UD football comes up now and again on the Temple fans are perplexed by its recent struggles. UD's recent struggles haven't diminished their reputation as a quality program in the area imo. I think people are still in the surprise mode and aren't yet ready to throw in the towel. With that said, they need to get it turned around sooner rather than later.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 21st, 2015, 09:41 PM
Well the actual fans that left aren't coming back. But can UD grow those #'s back from 13-15K to 20K plus from other areas? Yes, but it will take time & maybe a change of scenery. Multiple things have to happen - the team has to get better, students need to be re-engaged, and possibly a change to FBS. The home schedule next year is 5 games: DelState, Stony Brook, Maine, Towson, Villanova. Only one game of interest for most fans in the lot.

I think if UD is to remain in FCS they need to rebuild an association with some of the PL teams. If the league steps up I think UD would be crazy not to schedule more home and homes with Lehigh, Lafayette, Fordham, HC and Colgate. Lehigh and Lafayette would certainly bring fans which would helps with the atmosphere. Fordham and HC fans travel in surprisingly large numbers too when their team is good.

Ivytalk
December 22nd, 2015, 06:37 AM
Good front- page (below the fold) article by Kevin Tresolini in today's News Urinal about Ziady's departure. The writing was on the wall after the "survey of athletics personnel" ordered by UD that included interviews of all head coaches. Some coaches resented his "micromanagement" and lack of communications skills, resulting in a "toxic" atmosphere.

Bisonator
December 22nd, 2015, 06:59 AM
Just win baby! Put a winning product on the field and the fans will show up eventually.

bluehenbillk
December 22nd, 2015, 07:07 AM
I think if UD is to remain in FCS they need to rebuild an association with some of the PL teams. If the league steps up I think UD would be crazy not to schedule more home and homes with Lehigh, Lafayette, Fordham, HC and Colgate. Lehigh and Lafayette would certainly bring fans which would helps with the atmosphere. Fordham and HC fans travel in surprisingly large numbers too when their team is good.

Key phrase: "If the league steps up". You must've read what I wrote earlier because you captured it in your quote. A good percentage of UD fans don't derive satisfaction from playing current CAA teams. Outside of Villanova, JMU, and to a lesser level W&M and UR, the CAA doesn't excite many fans. While some of the PL schools provide a regional angle and Lehigh evokes a rivalry of decades past, currently they would just exaggerate point I just made about excitement levels. I don't follow Lehigh closely but I believe you guys are in an attendance rut currently. UD signed a 2 for 1 with Lafayette and play there this year - there aren't any happy Hens fans about a trip to Easton. I don't believe Lafayette brought more than 300 people to either of the 2 games in Newark.

UD is going through a complete leadership overhaul - new President has been announced and starts officially in a few months, the search for a new AD is officially underway, the HC is almost in lame duck status & chances are 12 months from now a new HC will be in place.

Nova09
December 22nd, 2015, 08:55 AM

Does anyone have enough young fans who make attending games in person a priority? That goes for professional level, too. Everyone has to deal with this fundamental shift in how millennials consume content (and how younger generations will).

clenz
December 22nd, 2015, 09:24 AM
Does anyone have enough young fans who make attending games in person a priority? That goes for professional level, too. Everyone has to deal with this fundamental shift in how millennials consume content (and how younger generations will).
Agreed.

It's a concern everywhere. The challenge, from the outside perspective, I see for UD is that places like NDSU, Montana, UNI, South Dakota State, etc... have all maintained at least respectability or greatness the last few years for the younger fans to still draw too. Had UNI not figured out how to play football the second half of the season the last two years UNI would be in excatly the same situation with how things have gone since, really, 2008.

I know from going to UNI games there are a lot of older fans. I, however, see more families with parents between 28-40ish with kids between toddler and teens at UNI games than "old people". There is still that pretty young base at UNI, and it's actually growing through a concentrated effort to get younger fans and families back, or into for the first time.

I'm not explaining this well and don't know if I can. I may be completely off base too because all I know is what I can read online, which is usually one extreme or the other (for any topic about anything). It just seems what I hear from UD fans is there is a derth of families with parents under the age of about 40 cultivating a younger generation of UD fans.

UNHWildcat18
December 22nd, 2015, 09:44 AM
I really thought back in 2008/09 UD would be FBS by now with that stadium expansion done. What was the capacity of that thing 30k?

bluehenbillk
December 22nd, 2015, 09:51 AM
I know from going to UNI games there are a lot of older fans. I, however, see more families with parents between 28-40ish with kids between toddler and teens at UNI games than "old people". There is still that pretty young base at UNI, and it's actually growing through a concentrated effort to get younger fans and families back, or into for the first time.

I'm not explaining this well and don't know if I can. I may be completely off base too because all I know is what I can read online, which is usually one extreme or the other (for any topic about anything). It just seems what I hear from UD fans is there is a derth of families with parents under the age of about 40 cultivating a younger generation of UD fans.

We have/had 16 season tickets at UD - 8 adults, 8 kids aged 5-12.

superman7515
December 22nd, 2015, 10:11 AM
If the league steps up I think UD would be crazy not to schedule more home and homes with Lehigh, Lafayette, Fordham, HC and Colgate. Lehigh and Lafayette would certainly bring fans which would helps with the atmosphere. Fordham and HC fans travel in surprisingly large numbers too when their team is good.

They'll bring their own fans, but they won't bring UD fans, so it won't amount to any sort of overall gains for the program, and playing the away half of that equation does nothing for the fanbase whatsoever. The casual football fan in the Newark area who might drop by just to see a game of interest has never heard of the Patriot League, so that's not a game that is going to pull them in and gradually add them to the regular fanbase. The students, by and large, are no more interested in Holy Cross than they are in Hardin-Simmons, the teams are on equal footing in the eyes of the vast majority of people. Lehigh and Lafayette has some interest to what few older fans haven't left, but the main ingredient of that interest is a bitter reminiscence that the Blue Hens are no longer playing Temple, Navy, Rutgers, Buffalo, UMass, Marshall, UConn... If there were ever a season when the CAA schedule makers were bold enough to have a UD home schedule that did not include at least one of Villanova, Richmond, or James Madison (perhaps William & Mary could save the day, but I doubt it), you would see season tickets plummet to levels unfathomable less than a decade ago.

clenz
December 22nd, 2015, 10:27 AM
They'll bring their own fans, but they won't bring UD fans, so it won't amount to any sort of overall gains for the program, and playing the away half of that equation does nothing for the fanbase whatsoever. The casual football fan in the Newark area who might drop by just to see a game of interest has never heard of the Patriot League, so that's not a game that is going to pull them in and gradually add them to the regular fanbase. The students, by and large, are no more interested in Holy Cross than they are in Hardin-Simmons, the teams are on equal footing in the eyes of the vast majority of people. Lehigh and Lafayette has some interest to what few older fans haven't left, but the main ingredient of that interest is a bitter reminiscence that the Blue Hens are no longer playing Temple, Navy, Rutgers, Buffalo, UMass, Marshall, UConn... If there were ever a season when the CAA schedule makers were bold enough to have a UD home schedule that did not include at least one of Villanova, Richmond, or James Madison (perhaps William & Mary could save the day, but I doubt it), you would see season tickets plummet to levels unfathomable less than a decade ago.Would setting up H/H with schools like UNI, NDSU, Montana, etc... help things at all or not? I know that doesn't do anything for recruiting or that type of thing, but would it create excitement for the game and get fans in to "re-expose/reintroduce" them to what UD football?

superman7515
December 22nd, 2015, 10:28 AM
I really thought back in 2008/09 UD would be FBS by now with that stadium expansion done. What was the capacity of that thing 30k?

Yeah, they were supposed to add 7,500 seats and some boxes and suites so right around 30k +/-, but they were never able to secure a major donor in the down economy and most of the major companies in the area are dead or dying (GM, Chrysler, Wilmington Trust, DuPont) so they were never able to get a major corporate donation, and the stipulation was that all of the money had to come from donors. They paid for the Bob Carpenter Center expansion with student fees using the argument that it would have multiple purposes and that the students could use it, but didn't want to go that route for the football stadium since it was much less likely to be used by the students. By contrast, when they built the new soccer stadium, the $1.5 million gift from the Grant family was the largest ever given to a UD athletics facility project, so they were clearly nowhere close to getting what they needed for the football stadium expansion.

Ivytalk
December 22nd, 2015, 10:50 AM

Indeed. If FCS football can be construed to mean "content," which might be a quaint notion, it will be interesting to see whether the young folks continue to "consume" it. FCS Playoffs streaming on iPhones? It might be an interesting doctoral dissertation to explore how, and whether, football attendance generally correlates to advances in modes of communication. The huge Ivy crowds of my grandfather's day had certainly started to decline by the Baby Boom/ TV era, when Harvard sold out for Yale, but still had 20K+ for Princeton, Dartmouth, and Brown, 12k+ for the other Ivies, and 10K+ for OOC without television coverage. Maybe it's not just communication -- people just don't have the interest in football that they once did. With the concussion issue front and center, things won't get better attendance-wise. Or participation-wise.

clenz
December 22nd, 2015, 11:08 AM
Indeed. If FCS football can be construed to mean "content," which might be a quaint notion, it will be interesting to see whether the young folks continue to "consume" it. FCS Playoffs streaming on iPhones? It might be an interesting doctoral dissertation to explore how, and whether, football attendance generally correlates to advances in modes of communication. The huge Ivy crowds of my grandfather's day had certainly started to decline by the Baby Boom/ TV era, when Harvard sold out for Yale, but still had 20K+ for Princeton, Dartmouth, and Brown, 12k+ for the other Ivies, and 10K+ for OOC without television coverage. Maybe it's not just communication -- people just don't have the interest in football that they once did. With the concussion issue front and center, things won't get better attendance-wise. Or participation-wise.
I think technology is a huge piece of it.

It was only a few years ago, hell I was still in college (Graduated in 2010), that to see most UNI games (football or basketball) you'd need to go to them. There was some on TV but not every game. Now every football game is easily accessed. Every home football game is on TV statewide in HD, 3 or 4 of the road games are on TV in HD. The other road games in conference play are on ESPN. Every single MBB game is either on TV in HD or ESPN3. Every home (and conference road) WBB game is on ESPN3. Every home volleyball (and all conference road) games are on ESPN3.

Even if you don't get ESPN3 through your provider there are plenty of sites to watch whatever event you want. I use a site to watch everything from NFL, NBA, NHL, NCAA, MLS, Euro soccer, cricket, aussie rules football, russian hockey, etc...

It's "free" to stay at home and watch the games. You get better views. You get replays of every play. You can pause and rewind it. Drink and eat whatever you want. No line at the pisser.

Most people who are going to games at this point are going because it's tradition, they love the the atmosphere around the stadium, etc... I think we are going to see most places see smaller and smaller crowds. Maybe not empty stadiums, but smaller crowds.

It's why the NFL has had to modify it's blackout policy.

superman7515
December 22nd, 2015, 11:23 AM
Would setting up H/H with schools like UNI, NDSU, Montana, etc... help things at all or not? I know that doesn't do anything for recruiting or that type of thing, but would it create excitement for the game and get fans in to "re-expose/reintroduce" them to what UD football?

To some extent, I think it would, but I don't know that it would be any long-term growth at this point. North Dakota State has gotten a good amount of publicity on ESPN, so at least the students would have a better chance of knowing them than say Duquesne or Sacred Heart. And that's not meant as a shot at Duquesne or Sacred Heart, let's be real for a minute here, there is probably a pretty big chunk of students at NDSU/Montana/UNI that have no notion whatsoever of UD football and vice-versa, so this isn't a small-conference FCS vs large-conference FCS argument.

A lot of people belittle the HBCU model of it being an event, not a game. Like it or not, that is increasingly what the younger generation goes for, and that isn't even just at the FCS level. NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, Big 5 college, NASCAR, boxing, UFC... The "events" draw bigger than ever, but the build up doesn't matter nearly as much anymore. People have too many options competing for their available free time, the opportunity cost of attending in person 81 MLB games or 41 NBA games or even 8 NFL games is too great unless there is an event surrounding it. A rivalry game or playoff game will still sell to the casual pro-fan or college alum, the Indianapolis 500 or Daytona 500 will sell, McGregor vs Aldo/Rousey vs Holm will sell... But Chargers vs Jets? Attendance is down. Phillies vs Mariners? Attendance is down. The CampingWorld.com 500? Attendance is down. People want an event that weekend or they will find a different event to go to and between Philly, NYC, Baltimore, and Washington DC all within a short drive, there are plenty of opportunities.

People just no longer feel the need to "be there" to be rooting on their team when so many games are televised or free online, there is better camera angles with closer views than you can get from your seat in the stadium in a lot of places, there is better food and beer that costs less in your fridge, and you're around the people you want to be around. There are a ton of marketing studies that are readily available if anyone cares to peruse that says the under-30 crowd has grown up to be more enamored with experiences than tangible things, so if you are just selling them a ticket, whether it's a football game or a concert or a vacation to the Bahamas, it doesn't matter, there has to be something more to it. They don't want just a football game, they want a DJ outside, and bounce houses for the kids, and giveaways and contests for the fans before the game, and to be allowed to stay out in the tailgating area the entire time in case we don't actually want to watch football but just hang with buddies. They don't want to watch Star Wars, they want to watch it in 3D, in reclining massage seats, in a theater with a bar in it, and locally sourced organic food, in a non-chain theater that uses green energy. They don't want to rent a beach house and drink beer and trying to pick up local girls, they want a zip line from the upstairs balcony of the beach house to 2 story treehouse in the backyard where you cross a firewalking pit to a giant free-range sea turtle that hands you scuba gear made of recycled rubber and takes you on a guided tour of a ship that was sunk to create an artificial reef so there would be safe habitat for endangered animals and their GMO-free food.

Sader87
December 22nd, 2015, 11:32 AM
This (attendance woes) has been discussed ad infinitum on the HC board.

A big part of it is due to technology as clenz noted imo.

Each school is different (and has different issues) obviously. The days of FCS football drawing 15-20K consistently in the Northeast are probably ovah for the most part due to "generational/cultural shifts," technology giving remote access to the games, the perception that FCS football isn't really "major college football" etc etc

Winning obviously helps...but I think we (in the Northeast anyway) have to recalibrate what figure constitutes a well attended game in 2015 and beyond.

Ivytalk
December 22nd, 2015, 12:12 PM
I think technology is a huge piece of it.

It was only a few years ago, hell I was still in college (Graduated in 2010), that to see most UNI games (football or basketball) you'd need to go to them. There was some on TV but not every game. Now every football game is easily accessed. Every home football game is on TV statewide in HD, 3 or 4 of the road games are on TV in HD. The other road games in conference play are on ESPN. Every single MBB game is either on TV in HD or ESPN3. Every home (and conference road) WBB game is on ESPN3. Every home volleyball (and all conference road) games are on ESPN3.

Even if you don't get ESPN3 through your provider there are plenty of sites to watch whatever event you want. I use a site to watch everything from NFL, NBA, NHL, NCAA, MLS, Euro soccer, cricket, aussie rules football, russian hockey, etc...

It's "free" to stay at home and watch the games. You get better views. You get replays of every play. You can pause and rewind it. Drink and eat whatever you want. No line at the pisser.

Most people who are going to games at this point are going because it's tradition, they love the the atmosphere around the stadium, etc... I think we are going to see most places see smaller and smaller crowds. Maybe not empty stadiums, but smaller crowds.

It's why the NFL has had to modify it's blackout policy.

Very well said, clenz, but I take a contrarian view. I don't believe that millennials have the interest, or the patience, to "watch" a three-hour event on any medium. Among the current UNI undergrads who do not attend games in person, how many of them could answer a single question about the team's record, or the starting line-up, or the favorite offensive sets, or the coaching staff? And I could ask the same question about Harvard or any other FCS school. HOW MANY OF THEM WOULD ACTUALLY FOLLOW AN ENTIRE GAME ON THE NET, IN REAL TIME? That's the ultimate question, and my guess is that the answer is a very small number.

Go Green
December 22nd, 2015, 09:05 PM
Would setting up H/H with schools like UNI, NDSU, Montana, etc... help things at all or not??

I would recommend Penn, but it seems like the Quakers have taken as big a nosedive in attendance in recent years as anyone.

caribbeanhen
December 23rd, 2015, 05:56 PM
although the majority of Hens fans it seemed didn't want to hear anything about the Defense improving this year as they were obviously not turning away when we had the ball, kind of like stealing a glance at a horrific accident......I actually think the D will lead us back to the playoffs next year, of course that statement is dependent on Brock getting a QB and a few good receivers, but look for a top 10 fcs Defense from Delaware next year..... this was pasted from a Gohens post....

I posted about our talented Young defense although several didn't want to hear about it or were to drunk from the tail gate to notice http://gohens.net/boards/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif

We finished 26th out of 123 of D

below is a list of the top 26 Defenses in FCS, I have bold faced the teams that I think our Defense is better than despite the final stat sheet, mostly because of the weak conference they play in. Of course I could place some tougher conference teams ahead of us but that's to much work. It wouldn't be too many.

take away the bolded teams we finish up at # 13TH

Also of note, 4 CAA Teams finished ahead of us.... interesting but I think it says a lot about the average at best QB's in the CAA right now, this is not K.C.'s CAA.... http://gohens.net/boards/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif

Take away the bolded teams and the 4 CAA teams ahead of us we are in the top 10

1 Stony Brook 10 610 2501 4.10 18 20 250.1
2 Charleston So. 11 648 2932 4.52 24 29 266.5
3 N.C. A&T 11 700 2950 4.21 20 22 268.2
4 Alcorn 10 635 2749 4.33 29 31 274.9
5 Jacksonville St. 11 710 3048 4.29 17 21 277.1
6 Dartmouth 10 731 2777 3.80 11 13 277.7
7 Campbell 11 701 3072 4.38 21 22 279.3
8 South Carolina St. 11 764 3080 4.03 19 21 280.0
9 McNeese St. 10 624 2808 4.50 11 14 280.8
10 Youngstown St. 11 657 3176 4.83 28 32 288.7
11 Columbia 10 585 2911 4.98 22 26 291.1
12 North Dakota St. 11 660 3203 4.85 23 24 291.2
13 Gardner-Webb 11 685 3306 4.83 23 25 300.5
14 Kennesaw St. 11 633 3313 5.23 29 30 301.2
15 Hampton 11 768 3375 4.39 23 27 306.8
16 Villanova 11 701 3400 4.85 19 26 309.1
17 Saint Francis (PA) 10 631 3093 4.90 21 27 309.3
18 San Diego 11 685 3407 4.97 21 24 309.7
19 Maine 11 739 3485 4.72 30 30 316.8
20 Towson 11 710 3503 4.93 28 31 318.5
21 Chattanooga 11 677 3519 5.20 29 30 319.9
22 Robert Morris 11 810 3535 4.36 25 28 321.4
23 Harvard 10 682 3249 4.76 17 17 324.9
24 Duquesne 11 727 3583 4.93 22 23 325.7
25 Jacksonville 11 808 3590 4.44 26 27 326.4
26 Delaware 11 706 3621 5.13 20 24 329.2

Brock should of been saying after last year what he said today, that we will be a playoff team next year! Instead, he was saying that 2015 was going to be a tough year, we always knew that ..... Well only because you choose that route coach! You and staff knew we had no QB and choose to go into the season without one.

Gangtackle11
December 24th, 2015, 09:02 PM
I believe that Delaware will make a big stride forward in 2016. They are imposing on both sides of ball in the trenches. They have athletes all over with the exception of wide receiver and a passing QB. They find the right combination there with the run game they have & they'll be tough.

Villanova was lucky to beat them this past season and although we've won 9 of last 10 Im not betting the farm on us in '16.

Game may very well be the last for both Talley & Brock ironically depending on the season the Blue Hens have coming in to that game.

bluehenbillk
December 26th, 2015, 03:50 PM
Carib I agree with you that the defense did very well this year. I am worried about losing 3 contributors on the DL with Tinsley, Plummer and Hollerman. That leaves us Woodson who struggled more this year with more attention and Nichols, both of whom are all-conference caliber players. After those two its role players and true or redshirt FR. DB's should be better with Brown back from the season ending incident w Harrison.

There is speculation on Enderson possibly not coming back which would mean we'd be replacing two experienced kickers.

As everyone knows the QB and WR positions need substantial upgrades or Brock gets run out of dodge.

caribbeanhen
December 27th, 2015, 11:28 AM
Carib I agree with you that the defense did very well this year. I am worried about losing 3 contributors on the DL with Tinsley, Plummer and Hollerman. That leaves us Woodson who struggled more this year with more attention and Nichols, both of whom are all-conference caliber players. After those two its role players and true or redshirt FR. DB's should be better with Brown back from the season ending incident w Harrison.

There is speculation on Enderson possibly not coming back which would mean we'd be replacing two experienced kickers.

As everyone knows the QB and WR positions need substantial upgrades or Brock gets run out of dodge.

No doubt Blk, The Big Snack, who reportedly came into camp last August out of shape and overweight apparently opened some eyes on the practice squad later in the season, someone said "he couldn't be blocked" but your right were going to need one of those 2014 recruits to step up big, Cameron Kitchen has some mojo and upper classmen Grant Roberts has played well in spots. Watch out for #20 and #29 as well, but they are LB's.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 27th, 2015, 12:35 PM
Are there any QB's or WR's coming off their redshirt year or returning from injury?

caribbeanhen
December 27th, 2015, 08:49 PM
Are there any QB's or WR's coming off their redshirt year or returning from injury?

We have a Red shirt Freshman Kehoe that might be pretty good, not that Delaware fans want to see another freshman at QB, We want our transfer, Receivers..... none to speak of yet, we need at least 2, wont be that easy to 2 find good ones!

KPSUL
December 28th, 2015, 10:27 AM
although the majority of Hens fans it seemed didn't want to hear anything about the Defense improving this year as they were obviously not turning away when we had the ball, kind of like stealing a glance at a horrific accident......I actually think the D will lead us back to the playoffs next year, of course that statement is dependent on Brock getting a QB and a few good receivers, but look for a top 10 fcs Defense from Delaware next year..... this was pasted from a Gohens post....

I posted about our talented Young defense although several didn't want to hear about it or were to drunk from the tail gate to notice http://gohens.net/boards/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif

We finished 26th out of 123 of D

Brock should of been saying after last year what he said today, that we will be a playoff team next year! Instead, he was saying that 2015 was going to be a tough year, we always knew that ..... Well only because you choose that route coach! You and staff knew we had no QB and choose to go into the season without one.

Good to read a realistic assessment of Delaware by a Blue Hen fan, rather than the we "stink", so consequently everyone we beat, or played a close game with, must also "stink". Brock has obviously made some big blunders in the recruitment of 0ffensive skill players and huge mistakes in game management too frequently. But I agree with Gangtackle that the offensive linemen and defenders look solid. If he doesn't seriously look at transfers as a possible way to improve the passing game, he's making another mistake. We have the same "hands off" philosophy on FBS transfers at UNH. This upcoming season I think we have less need to go that route; however, it could definately been beneficial this past season.

If the 2015 quarterback play in the CAA was "average", it doesn't take an NFL Offensive Coordinator to explain why. At the start of the season, the CAA had arguably the two best QBs in FCS. Had not Robertson and Lee gone down with season ending injuries, you could have been looking at the 1st and 2nd Team All American QBs, and maybe numbers 1 and 2 in Payton award voting. Throw in Goldrich (who was down mid-season and came back before he was fully ready to play) and Lauletta, and to a lesser extent Cluely, you have an excellent core group of college QBs.

bluehenbillk
December 28th, 2015, 03:43 PM
Sorry, but when you win four games, and get shutout both at URI and Towson you earn the right to say "we stink". :)

KPSUL
December 28th, 2015, 05:02 PM
Sorry, but when you win four games, and get shutout both at URI and Towson you earn the right to say "we stink". :)

Since I was at the UNH @ Delaware game, the only U of D game I saw start to finish this season, I may have a somewhat distorted view. Actually, I went to the Delaware @ JMU game in 2014, that was probably one of your best games last season. Maybe you should talk to your athletic department about sending me free tickets to all the games?

caribbeanhen
December 28th, 2015, 07:48 PM

BillK, you beat me to the punch here,

KPSUL, here is one guys opinion on Hen fans in general

They are spoiled rotten, decades of success will do that to a fan base though..... for the most part they just look at the bottom line and as Bill said 4-7 does indicate that they do indeed suck

The majority if not all Hen fans are ready to see Dave Brock call the U-Haul, as bottom liners, there not interested in how good the D looked this year only the final scores matter

Also, a lot of them stand by there Man KC Keeler, and there is a crowd of Hen fans that haven't had much nice to say since he was fired. Compounded by the outsider AD Eric Ziady hiring his buddy Brock from Boston College, a career journeyman and yes man.... to replace kc has not set well with the Hen faithful

Pat Harker, UD President since late 2006 has moved on to the Philly Fed, he doesn't have many supporters amongst Delaware football fans and pretty much all consider this a good thing

AD Ziady is out as well, he said some pretty distant comments about transfers being like refugees or something to that effect, he doesn't have many supporters.... they will tell you we need a UD guy and they are probably right

this should open the door for Dave Brock to get busy and try to win some football games, the equation for Brock as well as hi predecessor is get enough talent to overcome coaching deficiencies....

Brock better get with the program real fast as in Transfers to energize the Offense or he will be gone as well

just my take from a long way away

BluehenBillK is probably one of the fairest Hen fan posters you will find....besides myself..... but Im just not close enough to it all

KPSUL
December 28th, 2015, 08:51 PM
BillK, you beat me to the punch here,

KPSUL, here is one guys opinion on Hen fans in general

They are spoiled rotten, decades of success will do that to a fan base though..... for the most part they just look at the bottom line and as Bill said 4-7 does indicate that they do indeed suck

The majority if not all Hen fans are ready to see Dave Brock call the U-Haul, as bottom liners, there not interested in how good the D looked this year only the final scores matter

Also, a lot of them stand by there Man KC Keeler, and there is a crowd of Hen fans that haven't had much nice to say since he was fired. Compounded by the outsider AD Eric Ziady hiring his buddy Brock from Boston College, a career journeyman and yes man.... to replace kc has not set well with the Hen faithful

Pat Harker, UD President since late 2006 has moved on to the Philly Fed, he doesn't have many supporters amongst Delaware football fans and pretty much all consider this a good thing

AD Ziady is out as well, he said some pretty distant comments about transfers being like refugees or something to that effect, he doesn't have many supporters.... they will tell you we need a UD guy and they are probably right

this should open the door for Dave Brock to get busy and try to win some football games, the equation for Brock as well as hi predecessor is get enough talent to overcome coaching deficiencies....

Brock better get with the program real fast as in Transfers to energize the Offense or he will be gone as well

just my take from a long way away

BluehenBillK is probably one of the fairest Hen fan posters you will find....besides myself..... but Im just not close enough to it all

Thanks for the insights on U of D football. UNH head coach Sean McDonnell may have resisted change in a couple areas, like FBS transfers, too pervasively. But he is a great motivator, and his enthusiasm for UNH and his dedication to sustaining a winning program is unquestionable. There was a lot of unrest and a little bit of panic among UNH fans until the Richmond game, so I get the spoiled by too many winning seasons syndrome.

caribbeanhen
December 28th, 2015, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the insights on U of D football. UNH head coach Sean McDonnell may have resisted change in a couple areas, like FBS transfers, too pervasively. But he is a great motivator, and his enthusiasm for UNH and his dedication to sustaining a winning program is unquestionable. There was a lot of unrest and a little bit of panic among UNH fans until the Richmond game, so I get the spoiled by too many winning seasons syndrome.

you might not be aware of it, but a many of Delaware fans are very enamored with the UNH program, they speak very highly of Coach Sean McD, many of them would like to see Ryan Carty, the ex UD back up QB, Come back to Delaware as head coach. Many were very happy to hear of Sean Devine being hired as the UD OC mostly because of his UNH roots, but now they are ready to run him out of town, His offense was pretty good in his first year but has gone down hill since, Im not sure Albert Einstein could of come up with a few plays to help this years offense, it was a recipe for disaster,

GannonFan
December 29th, 2015, 10:09 AM
Without a QB and WR's to throw to, UD will continue to struggle next year. The CAA is weak enough that a playoff bid is certainly possible, especially with the talent on D and the improving offensive line, but we won't be there very long without someone to play QB.