PDA

View Full Version : Ironic things can happen in a season...

Casey_Orourke
December 20th, 2015, 10:09 PM
Talk about irony. I know this is old news, but It made me chuckle...xlolx

Bruce Barnum and Mike Leach, the two head coaches involved in what many consider the biggest upset in college football this year were both selected as the "Coach of the Year" in their respective conferences.

The biggest difference is that Coach Barnum scored the trifecta, he won the upset, was picked Big Sky "Coach of the Year" and the D-1 FCS "Coach of the Year."

No word on who the FBS coach of the year is, but I doubt Mike Leach is among those who are being considered.

kdinva
December 21st, 2015, 08:15 AM
That is an irony...........1-A coach loses to 1-AA team, still his peers think he's the best.....xlovex

Professor Chaos
December 21st, 2015, 08:23 AM
It does say something about a coaching staff though to be able to turn a season where you lost to a lower (sub)division team into a success. I'd think that most everyone thought that KC Keeler did a great job last year leading SHSU to the national semis despite an early season loss to D2 CSU-Pueblo.

Casey_Orourke
December 21st, 2015, 07:12 PM
That is an irony...........1-A coach loses to 1-AA team, still his peers think he's the best.....xlovex

I posted this on the PSU forum and bigskyconf gave this reply.

When Barnum was named Big Sky coach of the year, everyone cheered. When Leach was named Pac-12 coach of the year, everyone booed. http://www.bigskyfans.com/vikings/images/smilies/icon_lol.gif

From what I read, the selection committee for the Pac-12 wasn't the coaches, but the sports writers from various newspapers.

All-Pac-12 selection panel
Ryan Finley, Arizona Daily Star; Kyle Goon, The Salt Lake Tribune; Doug Haller, Arizona Republic; Brian Howell, Boulder Daily Camera; Gina Mizell, The Oregonian; Jacob Thorpe, The Spokesman-Review; Jack Wang, Los Angeles Daily News; Jon Wilner, San Jose Mercury News.

He actually shared the honors with Stanford Head coach David Shaw. It also said he is a semifinalist for the George Munger Collegiate Coach of the Year

Grizalltheway
December 21st, 2015, 07:17 PM
I posted this on the PSU forum and bigskyconf gave this reply.

Well I can definitely tell you which one I'd rather have a beer with.xlolx

JSUSoutherner
December 21st, 2015, 07:22 PM
It does say something about a coaching staff though to be able to turn a season where you lost to a lower (sub)division team into a success. I'd think that most everyone thought that KC Keeler did a great job last year leading SHSU to the national semis despite an early season loss to D2 CSU-Pueblo.
But didn't you hear Nickles last week? CSU-Pueblo would have won the OVC so that means they are a decent team anyway. It wasn't a bad loss, it was just a non-win. ;)

Wilson16
December 21st, 2015, 07:28 PM
I think it shows that good coaches can recover from getting in their own way

Bison56
December 21st, 2015, 07:39 PM
I think it shows that good coaches can recover from getting in their own way

I see what you did there.:D

Wilson16
December 21st, 2015, 08:24 PM
I see what you did there.:D
My first attempt didn't work so I'm going with the subtle strategy this time. ��

UNDOregon
December 22nd, 2015, 02:15 PM
Well I can definitely tell you which one I'd rather have a beer with.xlolx

I pick the PSU coach also. Leach is Mormon and doesn't drink alcohol. :)

I am in total awe at what PSU and its coach did this year, on a small budget. I remember when PSU President Ramaley lobbied for Division I so that PSU could share some visibility with Oregon and Oregon State and to have a larger voice with the legislature. The Oregonian had a story years back about how the PSU track coach had 1.5 scholarships to split among the track athletes. PSU basketball facility holds fewer people than my high school gym; there were about 300 students in grades 9 to 12 in my high school; PSU has almost 30,000.

PSU bookstore has the smallest college-merchandise section I have ever seen; very little selection of t-shirts and sweatshirts; it does not sell any jerseys for any sport. But the campus has been growing with new construction, including lots of housing, and a new basketball facility is in the works. PSU just has to get its student body more engaged in all things PSU.

uni88
December 22nd, 2015, 02:22 PM
My first attempt didn't work so I'm going with the subtle strategy this time. ��

You seem a little "thin skinned" about the "getting out of their own way" comment. xwhistlex

Wilson16
December 22nd, 2015, 05:57 PM
You seem a little "thin skinned" about the "getting out of their own way" comment. xwhistlex
Thinned skinned? Not at all. Just trying to understand what it means. He loves the coach and says he will lead them to a title but is too stupid to settle on a QB and offensive system early in the season. If he ain't got out of his way by now why is he the guy to lead them? To me just doesn't add up