PDA

View Full Version : How to become the next NDSU

Terry2889
December 20th, 2015, 11:14 AM
There is a pretty interesting thread developing over on the UNH board regarding elevating the level of play to attempt to match Bison success. It is becoming fairly apparent that NDSU has accomplished all that it can at this level of play. Their formula to success obviously has many factors, however, I'd like to see if we could have a serious discussion on elevating another program to challenge NDSU's success. What needs to be done, how does it need to be done, and who can do it? Have at it men!

centennial
December 20th, 2015, 11:25 AM
Quick answer-
1. Recruiting. We identify hungry kids who want to win.
2. Camps. Our camps are only second to the MN, WI camps in the area. We are able to pick the best players that P5 doesn't take.
3. Tradition
4. Fan support
5. No support for being mediocre. Bohl was close to getting fired after the 2009 season.

clenz
December 20th, 2015, 11:28 AM
1. Get Farley out of his own way

2. That's it

Cocky
December 20th, 2015, 11:30 AM
Quick answer-
2. Camps. Our camps are only second to the MN, WI camps in the area. We are able to pick the best players that P5 doesn't take.
3. Tradition
4. Fan support
5. No support for being mediocre. Bohl was close to getting fired after the 2009 season.

5 maybe the most important. JSU was accepting mediocre with Crowe for years, then a real coach and weight/conditioning program arrived.

centennial
December 20th, 2015, 11:32 AM
Quick answer-
3. Tradition
4. Fan support
I am going to add one more-
NOT taking too many transfers. They are a recipe for temporary success at best, and at worst will poison the team.

1992Bison
December 20th, 2015, 11:33 AM
Strength and condition program that makes men out of boys that are willing to put in the work. Coaches that recruit their asses off. You gotta get most of the best local talent to stay at home.

gsf23nd
December 20th, 2015, 11:35 AM
Hire Jim Kramer away from NDSU

JayJ79
December 20th, 2015, 11:39 AM
Not having to compete with FBS teams in your state.
Having an oil boom in your state.

(not saying that either of these are primary reasons for NDSU's success, but those situations do provide benefits)

centennial
December 20th, 2015, 11:41 AM

(not saying that either of these are primary reasons for NDSU's success, but those situations do provide benefits)
Oil boom I don't agree with. FBS yes.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 20th, 2015, 11:43 AM

First one I can agree with but the 2nd has nothing to do with NDSU's success at all.

Instead of worrying about NDSU, try to become the first Missouri State, or Tenn Martin, or Weber State, Fordham, Lamar....etc. Create a new "dynasty".....answer to the original topic

CHIP72
December 20th, 2015, 11:47 AM
Have the FBS state school in your state (or one of them if there is more than one power) drop down to FCS for a half-decade.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 20th, 2015, 11:47 AM
Quick answer-
3. Tradition
4. Fan support

IMHO, very few other FCS programs can match that. Most of us have too many G5 and other FCS programs nearby to ever attract a significant number of those kids. Some Big Sky programs could but correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think there are significant numbers of FBS level kids in their region (Montana, Idaho, Utah) left after the Pac12 gets done. Maybe the other Dakota schools could chip away at the Bison's success in the 2nd category????

Almost all of us can improve attendance and increase revenue.

As for UNH, I think we do a decent job identifying hungry kids and kids who want to develop. And we have a good winning tradition and the opportunity to increase fan support with our new grandstand next season. Hopefully, that will increase revenue and allow us to recruit even harder especially in fertile areas like FL, TX and Cali which continuing to attract the same types of kids from the Mid-Atlantic.

BisonTru
December 20th, 2015, 11:49 AM
NOT taking too many transfers. They are a recipe for temporary success at best, and at worst will poison the team.

To expand on this, get the right guys in your program. High character, hard working. These guys push each other and if your program is filled with them it creates a great team atmosphere.

It seems many FCS programs focus too much on just trying to find talent.

CHIP72
December 20th, 2015, 11:50 AM

I'm definitely no NDSU fan, but I agree with the Bison fans who've already posted that the North Dakota oil boom likely has little to do with NDSU's recent success.

centennial
December 20th, 2015, 11:54 AM
IMHO, very few other FCS programs can match that. Most of us have too many G5 and other FCS programs nearby to ever attract a significant number of those kids. Some Big Sky programs could but correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think there are significant numbers of FBS level kids in their region (Montana, Idaho, Utah) left after the Pac12 gets done. Maybe the other Dakota schools could chip away at the Bison's success in the 2nd category????

As for UNH, I think we do a decent job identifying hungry kids and kids who want to develop. And we have a good winning tradition and the opportunity to increase fan support with our new grandstand next season. Hopefully, that will increase revenue and allow us to recruit even harder especially in fertile areas like FL, TX and Cali which continuing to attract the same types of kids from the Mid-Atlantic.
Let me clarify. These are not the kids with the highest amount of stars. The camps help us identify kids that are underrated. The upper level G5 still takes a lot of the high star players, we compete with the mid to low G5. Also with our success, a lot of our recruits get instant offers from G5 schools. We just had a kid decommit to go to Minnesota.

Bison56
December 20th, 2015, 11:56 AM
Recruiting kids that fit the system not just chasing kids with stars.

Mattymc727
December 20th, 2015, 12:06 PM
NDSU isn't the only FCS school with recruiting camps. UNH has 2 weeks every summer for theirs, and gets to attend the BC, Rutgers, and UConn camps. UNH also has been finding hidden gems that way, in fact, its probably the only thing that has kept UNH competitive lately. UNH coaching staff has an incredible talent at identifying hidden gems the FBS misses on.

I think the key is that NDSU can get the kids not quite good enough for the Big10, while east coast schools have to compete with so many more schools.

NDSU should be in the Mountain West conference, they have everything needed for success at the FBS level. How many more titles until they realize that? A conference will come calling soon enough.

Laker
December 20th, 2015, 12:10 PM

Gophers have been the only FBS school in the state forever. And they haven't won a Big Ten title since I was in 8th grade.

As far as an oil boom helping the Bison, why hasn't it helped the Fighting Hawks to the same degree? The Bison had incredible support since...........I was in 8th grade.

Cocky
December 20th, 2015, 12:22 PM
I disagree but you need to do your due diligence just like high school players. Also take the ones with more than one season left to play.

- - - Updated - - -

NDSU was successful long before their FCS days.

ming01
December 20th, 2015, 12:36 PM
It's impossible. We are the only Ndsu.

Christiank22
December 20th, 2015, 12:37 PM
It's impossible. We are the only Ndsu.
Is there a Northern Delaware State by any chance? Or maybe like a North Detroit State?

melloware13
December 20th, 2015, 12:52 PM
Is there a Northern Delaware State by any chance? Or maybe like a North Detroit State?
I was thinking that some faction from Del State gets upset with the establishment, and makes themselves "New Delaware State". That'd be making one of the worst FCS teams split, which could make for some tasty cupcakes

BisonBacker
December 20th, 2015, 12:59 PM
5 maybe the most important. JSU was accepting mediocre with Crowe for years, then a real coach and weight/conditioning program arrived.

I'm sorry but this is just to funny not to highlight. I saw your game against SHSU and that weight program your talking about must be to put on as much fat on your lineman as possible. If that was the goal it's worked xlolx

BisonBacker
December 20th, 2015, 01:00 PM

Please elaborate on how this has benefited NDSU? Please provide your source.

BisonFan02
December 20th, 2015, 01:10 PM

ABC'S "Blood & Oil". xlolx

WTFCollegefootballfan
December 20th, 2015, 01:12 PM
Quick answer-
3. Tradition
4. Fan support

#3 ​TRADITION..... That is the one others will have trouble with, and don't understand.

WTFCollegefootballfan
December 20th, 2015, 01:14 PM

Oil boom does nothing for NDSU!!!

WTFCollegefootballfan
December 20th, 2015, 01:20 PM
Gophers have been the only FBS school in the state forever. And they haven't won a Big Ten title since I was in 8th grade.

As far as an oil boom helping the Bison, why hasn't it helped the Fighting Hawks to the same degree? The Bison had incredible support since...........I was in 8th grade.

F'NHawks get more support from the state than NDSU. Oil boom does nothing. NDSU is even at a disadvantage with state money.

Drblankstare
December 20th, 2015, 02:14 PM
Have your closest FBS neighbor hire Tim Brewster.

Cocky
December 20th, 2015, 02:16 PM
I'm sorry but this is just to funny not to highlight. I saw your game against SHSU and that weight program your talking about must be to put on as much fat on your lineman as possible. If that was the goal it's worked xlolx
It is the goal to be slow, fat and lazy.

swaghook
December 20th, 2015, 02:17 PM
You have to recruit kids willing to play smash mouth football and no self glory attitudes just a one for all and all for one type attitude. Strength and conditioning are vital as well as the willingness of the team to stay year round and train as a team even when the coaches can not be a part of it.

Everyone now days wants to see the high octane spread offense on the field and too many schools spend too much time worrying about their offense and not enough on creating a strong D. Look at what NDSU runs for O the west coast offense which is power run and short passing. On D they run the Tampa 2. The D scheme is hard complicated to learn but so very effective to use. In the 80's our offense was the Veer Option not pretty to watch just damn effective.

clenz
December 20th, 2015, 02:19 PM
All of this still seems to boils to having Farley get out of his own way

WTFCollegefootballfan
December 20th, 2015, 02:26 PM
Notice NDSU has no names on the backs of the uniforms? It is for a reason. NDSU plays as a team not an individual.

Cocky
December 20th, 2015, 02:27 PM
Notice NDSU has no names on the backs of the uniforms? It is for a reason. NDSU plays as a team not an individual.
Thats cute

BisonTru
December 20th, 2015, 02:34 PM
Thats cute

We started that along with team colored fields. xlolx

JSUSoutherner
December 20th, 2015, 03:13 PM

SHSU didn't have names on their uniforms either.

Bison56
December 20th, 2015, 03:15 PM

SHSU didn't show up. That was an embarassing performance for a semi final team, but I give credit to JSU for capitalizing on their mistakes.

JSUSoutherner
December 20th, 2015, 03:17 PM
SHSU didn't show up. That was an embarassing performance for a semi final team, but I give credit to JSU for capitalizing on their mistakes.

Charleston Southern didn't have names either.

Bison56
December 20th, 2015, 03:21 PM

Don't give a **** what they or anyone has on the jersey.

JSUSoutherner
December 20th, 2015, 03:27 PM

Well I didn't quote you at first. I was talking to WTFCollegeFootballFan, I wasn't talking to you. You brought yourself into this discussion all on your own and if you really don't care I trust you will take yourself out of the conversation rather than sit here and complain about people who weren't talking to you.

Bison56
December 20th, 2015, 03:30 PM
Well I didn't quote you at first. I was talking to WTFCollegeFootballFan, I wasn't talking to you. You brought yourself into this discussion all on your own and if you really don't care I trust you will take yourself out of the conversation rather than sit here and complain about people who weren't talking to you.

Wasn't complaining about anything but you go ahead and get all pussy about it. Just made a statement on the game. Gl hope you enjoy Frisco I am out.

uni88
December 20th, 2015, 03:33 PM
Oil boom does nothing for NDSU!!!
Is this completely true? Are you telling me that a state that is flush with cash from the oil boom doesn't spread some of that around and it benefits all of the schools in the state? If the piss poor financial status of the state of Illinois is hurting WIU why isn't the flush financial status of the state of North Dakota helping NDSU? State government (and I get that UND gets preferential treatment) has more money. Individual donors have more money. If there is more money in general isn't there also likely to be more money available for sports? There might not be a direct correlation but I'd like to hear the argument why there is absolutely no correlation.

Wilson16
December 20th, 2015, 03:33 PM
All of this still seems to boils to having Farley get out of his own way
You seem to be back on the Farley bandwagon. What makes you think he can get out of his own way ?

JSUSoutherner
December 20th, 2015, 03:35 PM
Wasn't complaining about anything but you go ahead and get all pussy about it. Just made a statement on the game. Gl hope you enjoy Frisco I am out.

I quoted WTFCFBFan to challenge his point.

You decided to show up out of nowhere and challenge my point.

I challenge your point

You have no response and b*tch out claiming you never cared to begin with when if it was true you would have just kept your mouth shut.

Thanks, looking forward to the trip. Bye.

aces1180
Is this completely true? Are you telling me that a state that is flush with cash from the oil boom doesn't spread some of that around and it benefits all of the schools in the state? If the piss poor financial status of the state of Illinois is hurting WIU why isn't the flush financial status of the state of North Dakota helping NDSU? State government (and I get that UND gets preferential treatment) has more money. Individual donors have more money. If there is more money in general isn't there also likely to be more money available for sports? There might not be a direct correlation but I'd like to hear the argument why there is absolutely no correlation.

The state is cheap and getting money for the state's colleges and universities is like pulling teeth.

Wilson16
Thats cute
So is your band outfit

NoDak 4 Ever
December 20th, 2015, 03:37 PM
Hire Jim Kramer away from NDSU

Yep. clone that guy and you have a winner

JSUSoutherner
December 20th, 2015, 03:39 PM
So is your band outfit
Thanks, they are new. We got them this year. They are much nicer than our previous uniforms.

Wilson16
December 20th, 2015, 03:40 PM
Thanks, they are new. We got them this year. They are much nicer than our previous uniforms.
You're welcome. Can't wait to see how cute they are

Bisonator
December 20th, 2015, 03:50 PM
The state provides funding for the schools to be used for educational purposes only. No state funding is used for athletic scholarships or athletic facilities. All of those entities are funded thru private donations and or student fees. At NDSU 100% of our scholarships are funded thru private donations thru our Teammakers organization. It's been that way for at least 50 years.

WTFCollegefootballfan
December 20th, 2015, 03:54 PM
UND gets more money than NDSU. If it helps anybody it is UND not NDSU.

Drblankstare
December 20th, 2015, 03:56 PM
You seem to be back on the Farley bandwagon. What makes you think he can get out of his own way ?

It sure looked like towards the end of the season he actually started to embrace their new offensive philosophy. IMO.

WTFCollegefootballfan
December 20th, 2015, 03:57 PM
JSU's fans read the title of the post. I'm out of here for 3 weeks. Let the JSU trolls fight amongst themselves.

Wilson16
December 20th, 2015, 03:59 PM
It sure looked like towards the end of the season he actually started to embrace their new offensive philosophy. IMO.
Agree. And even as long as he's been around I'm starting to see him mature as a leader. To me he just seems less stressed about things in general. Just me reading people but he seems calmer

uni88
December 20th, 2015, 04:01 PM
The state provides funding for the schools to be used for educational purposes only. No state funding is used for athletic scholarships or athletic facilities. All of those entities are funded thru private donations and or student fees. At NDSU 100% of our scholarships are funded thru private donations thru our Teammakers organization. It's been that way for at least 50 years.

Thanks that helps me understand that the oil boom has not directly helped NDSU with government funding. What about private funding? If the amount of cash in the state has increased then individuals in the state also have more funds than they've had in the past. People working in the oil industry are directly impacted and are making (and spending) more money. I don't know a lot about NDSU academically but if they are a typical Name Your State State University (as opposed to a University of Name Your State) they have strong technical and engineering programs and many of those graduates are employed in the oil or related industries. People in the oil and related industries are also spending more money on cars, construction, etc. This would appear to lead to more people with more money who are able to contribute to Teammakers and benefiting NDSU.

And just to be clear, I'm not saying it's wrong or complaining about NDSU having an unfair advantage. It is what it is and other schools including my own just have to deal with it.

Cocky
December 20th, 2015, 04:03 PM
So is your band outfit
The band doesnt have their name on the back of their uniforms. The band director got the idea from NDSU football makes them play as a unit.

MacThor
December 20th, 2015, 04:05 PM
Get a top seed. Since 2005, only one champion has ever won a road game on the way to the final (2008, Richmond). That trend will continue this year.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 20th, 2015, 04:07 PM
Get a top seed. Since 2005, only one champion has ever won a road game on the way to the final (2008, Richmond). That trend will continue this year.

That might have happened this year. I was dying to go to Normal, we would have murdered them.

- - - Updated - - -

The band doesnt have their name on the back of their uniforms. The band director got the idea from NDSU football makes them play as a unit.

Wait, JSU has a band? Because that's the key to a great team.

centennial
December 20th, 2015, 04:08 PM
Thanks that helps me understand that the oil boom has not directly helped NDSU with government funding. What about private funding? If the amount of cash in the state has increased then individuals in the state also have more funds than they've had in the past. People working in the oil industry are directly impacted and are making (and spending) more money. I don't know a lot about NDSU academically but if they are a typical Name Your State State University (as opposed to a University of Name Your State) they have strong technical and engineering programs and many of those graduates are employed in the oil or related industries. People in the oil and related industries are also spending more money on cars, construction, etc. This would appear to lead to more people with more money who are able to contribute to Teammakers and benefiting NDSU.

And just to be clear, I'm not saying it's wrong or complaining about NDSU having an unfair advantage. It is what it is and other schools including my own just have to deal with it.
Of course there are people that made big money on the oil boom, and they do contribute. I still don't think it is a huge percentage. You have to remember we are on the MN border (you can walk from the NDSU campus to MN in about 30 minutes). Since the success we have had more people western part of the state interested in NDSU.

Bisonator
December 20th, 2015, 04:12 PM

There may be a few private donors with oil money but I would bet the percentage is rather low. Most of our big wigs are from the east and made their money thru business ventures.

clenz
December 20th, 2015, 04:16 PM

I've always been on the Farley bandwagon. He is a great recruiter, consistent puts a top flight defense out there, and is the epitome of UNI.

The issue I have is his inability to get out of his own way. I have a feeling that after last season he got a hint that something needed to change and he did it.

I think in doing so he got scared when he saw how different things would be on offense and knew it wouldn't be ready in time for the season and threw the e-brake on.

I think he saw a different form of pressure from the fan base think year that he hadn't seen before and it may actually lead to a change. His post season comments were different than they'd have been in previous years.

He's trying to adjust to truly being a HC and not a HC, DC,LB coach and assistant OC. He has guys on the defensive staff he trusts to run it. So he is involved there but more hands off. I think he needs to learn to trust what his assistants there are doing, remember all but 1 of them were new this year and the one that wasn't was the RB coach.

He's stubborn, but I think he finally gets "it"

Wilson16
December 20th, 2015, 04:17 PM
It's the Cock way to play on a unit. Go band!

Wilson16
December 20th, 2015, 04:19 PM
I've always been on the Farley bandwagon. He is a great recruiter, consistent puts a top flight defense out there, and is the epitome of UNI.

The issue I have is his inability to get out of his own way. I have a feeling that after last season he got a hint that something needed to change and he did it.

I think in doing so he got scared when he saw how different things would be on offense and knew it wouldn't be ready in time for the season and threw the e-brake on.

I think he saw a different form of pressure from the fan base think year that he hadn't seen before and it may actually lead to a change. His post season comments were different than they'd have been in previous years.

He's trying to adjust to truly being a HC and not a HC, DC,LB coach and assistant OC. He has guys on the defensive staff he trusts to run it. So he is involved there but more hands off. I think he needs to learn to trust what his assistants there are doing, remember all but 1 of them were new this year and the one that wasn't was the RB coach.

I agree that's why I asked the question. Seeing a different person from a few years ago. Think he is getting it

uni88
December 20th, 2015, 04:24 PM
There may be a few private donors with oil money but I would bet the percentage is rather low. Most of our big wigs are from the east and made their money thru business ventures.

What kinds of business ventures? Are the oil boomers spending money at/on the other business ventures? i.e. if an oil boomer buys a car from a dealership owned by an NDSU Teammaker contributor that he/she wouldn't have bought without the boom, than NDSU is benefiting if only slightly. More money circulating through the state's economy means more money for all, including NDSU boosters.

The impact might seem like much but it beats the alternative. Illinois schools aren't even getting the money the state is supposed be giving them for academic spending.

Thundar
December 20th, 2015, 04:25 PM

If he does "get it" doesn't it worry it took half his career to figure out how to run a team....now he still needs to build a team....it doesn't happen overnight and he ain't a spring chicken.

Now I ask this only because timing...do you see the addition of USD, SDSU and NDSU as part of the change? After all its 4 regional schools in the same conference recruiting the same players now

uni88
December 20th, 2015, 04:26 PM

Has the Patriot League offering athletic scholarships hurt CAA schools? Are some of the athletes they used to get choosing to go to Patriot League schools now?

Thundar
December 20th, 2015, 04:27 PM
What kinds of business ventures? Are the oil boomers spending money at/on the other business ventures? i.e. if an oil boomer buys a car from a dealership owned by an NDSU Teammaker contributor that he/she wouldn't have bought without the boom, than NDSU is benefiting if only slightly. More money circulating through the state's economy means more money for all, including NDSU boosters.

The impact might seem like much but it beats the alternative. Illinois schools aren't even getting the money the state is supposed be giving them for academic spending.

Agricultural based...as in Agronomy, Seed, fertilizer equipment etc.

Then there are the Construction and engineering firms...lots of money in those 2 sectors and with Fargo booming like it is the Construction boys have disposable income to give

bisonguy
December 20th, 2015, 04:32 PM
Of course there are people that made big money on the oil boom, and they do contribute. I still don't think it is a huge percentage. You have to remember we are on the MN border (you can walk from the NDSU campus to MN in about 30 minutes). Since the success we have had more people western part of the state interested in NDSU.

Walking at a very brisk pace it only takes 17.25 minutes (1.15 miles). xcoffeexxsmiley_wix

Bisonator
December 20th, 2015, 04:37 PM

Sporting goods retail, software developement, banks, agriculture, construction, etc.

clenz
December 20th, 2015, 04:42 PM
If he does "get it" doesn't it worry it took half his career to figure out how to run a team....now he still needs to build a team....it doesn't happen overnight and he ain't a spring chicken.

Now I ask this only because timing...do you see the addition of USD, SDSU and NDSU as part of the change? After all its 4 regional schools in the same conference recruiting the same players now

Build a team?

You don't watch UNI much if you think he needs to build.

UNI has ever but the talent, size, speed, physicality, etc... that NDSU has. Keep in mind UNI has more All Conference and All Americans than NDSU since 08, IIRC.

Remember, NDSU has 2 wins that came in the final 2 minutes of games after UNI controlled the game...turns out prevent defenses don't work.

So again, what does it take to be NDSU? It's already in place in terms of talent at UNI. It's a matter of a coach getting out of his own way

Wilson16
December 20th, 2015, 04:54 PM
Build a team?

UNI has ever but the talent, size, speed, physicality, etc... that NDSU has. Keep in mind UNI has more All Conference and All Americans than NDSU since 08, IIRC.

Remember, NDSU has 2 wins that came in the final 2 minutes of games after UNI controlled the game...turns out prevent defenses don't work.

So again, what does it take to be NDSU? It's already in place in terms of talent at UNI. It's a matter of a coach getting out of his own way
Still not sure what you mean by getting out of his own way. Letting his coaches coach? Calmer attitude during and after games ? I think you're right when you say he's a very stubborn person but I do see hints if change. I do hope he continues on this trend. There isn't a team NDSU plays that I fear more than the Panthers

BisonTru
December 20th, 2015, 05:05 PM
Build a team?

I agree Farley can find talent. The piece I see missing is QB. I think Farley, Klieman, and Stig are all sold on the huge upside of having a dual threat QB. Baileys a RB IMHO. He'll get next year, and maybe prove me wrong, but UNI needs to find a Stick-Christian like QB.

JayJ79
December 20th, 2015, 05:06 PM

More money in the state. More taxmoney in the government coffers, which means less pressure from the state on NDSU to trim the budget. Also possibly more/better donors for the school/athletic program.

Thundar
December 20th, 2015, 05:09 PM
(
Build a team?

Since your at home and we're beat 5 times this year twice by NDSU I guess yes you obviously still have some building to do to become The next NDSU

Doesn't meter how many All conference players you have that's not a barometer of the entire team. We have beat many All American and all conference players

SDFS
December 20th, 2015, 05:13 PM
F'NHawks get more support from the state than NDSU. Oil boom does nothing. NDSU is even at a disadvantage with state money.

North Dakota is a rural state. The State of North Dakota has appointed NDSU as the land grant school for North Dakota. Please contact your State Rep and Senator and let him know what a burden/disadvantage it is and how you would like to see it transferred to any other school in the state. See how easy it is to rid yourself of those burdens.

Lehigh'98
December 20th, 2015, 05:29 PM
North Dakota is pissed off and in the weight room right now. About to start the next dynasty!!

clenz
December 20th, 2015, 05:30 PM
Still not sure what you mean by getting out of his own way. Letting his coaches coach? Calmer attitude during and after games ? I think you're right when you say he's a very stubborn person but I do see hints if change. I do hope he continues on this trend. There isn't a team NDSU plays that I fear more than the Panthers

If you don't know what is meant by getting out of his own way then you haven't watched how UNI games unfold

It has nothing to do with his demeanor during the game

centennial
December 20th, 2015, 05:30 PM
North Dakota is pissed off and in the weight room right now. About to start the next dynasty!!
Lol.That's funny.

clenz
December 20th, 2015, 05:32 PM
North Dakota is a rural state. The State of North Dakota has appointed NDSU as the land grant school for North Dakota. Please contact your State Rep and Senator and let him know what a burden/disadvantage it is and how you would like to see it transferred to any other school in the state. See how easy it is to rid yourself of those burdens.

And a .500 overall record against UNI and I think a negative scoring margin.

UNI is a hell of a lot closer to NDSU than you may want to admit.

Asha's been pointed out, the only difference between UNI and NDSU lately is QB play. A lot of that is on Farley. If he'd settle I a QB style and a single QB to build that style on you wouldn't have 4 in a row. But he hasn't and you do

I'd be careful about dismissing UNI too much

SDFS
December 20th, 2015, 05:52 PM

Asha's been pointed out, the only difference between UNI and NDSU lately is QB play. A lot of that is on Farley. If he'd settle I a QB style and a single QB to build that style on you wouldn't have 4 in a row. But he hasn't and you do

Not sure what that has to do with my post. My post was toward the NDSU fans who say the state gives them nothing. Yet, it is the Land Grant school for North Dakota - kind of a big deal for a school in a small state.

But, I agree - over the past 5 years I would say that UNI has been the closest team to NDSU. Plus, I think UNI has had some bad luck with injuries recently. Without some of those injuries UNI would have been closer. I do think that the AD for UNI has done no favors for the football program with it's schedule. The last couple of years they have nearly scheduled themselves out of the playoffs and basically forced them on the road if they do make it.. Playoff football success starts by playing games at home.

clenz
December 20th, 2015, 05:53 PM
Sorry. Quoted wrong post

clenz
December 20th, 2015, 05:56 PM
Also OOC hasn't been the issue. The record OOC is pretty damn good

The issue is the complete lack of testicluar fortitude to make a commitment to a QB and having to start conference play on the road 3 of the first 4 weeks and get ISUr, SDSU and NDSU on the road all in the same year

I really hope with ISUr dropping off our rotation next year we take another trip to Fargo or Brookings to even that H/A setup up

Bisonator
December 20th, 2015, 06:13 PM
UNI certainly has the talent to win a NC. The issue appears to be getting that talent to play everyone as tough as they do against NDSU. Not sure why but UNI has a history of losing 2-3 games a year that they flat out have no business losing. Oh and the fact they continually **** the bed in the PO's. Not sure you can put all of that on Farley as he has led them to a NC appearance.

Wilson16
December 20th, 2015, 06:22 PM
If you don't know what is meant by getting out of his own way then you haven't watched how UNI games unfold

You're right I don't waste my time watching UNI. I thought maybe Farley was finding a clue. I guess I will go back to thinking of him as a dick

centennial
December 20th, 2015, 06:27 PM
On the topic of UNI, Clenz is right. NDSU seems better at developing QB's. Talent is similar for the teams other than that. Things might change a little with FCOA..

Wilson16
December 20th, 2015, 06:28 PM
Also OOC hasn't been the issue. The record OOC is pretty damn good

The issue is the complete lack of testicluar fortitude to make a commitment to a QB and having to start conference play on the road 3 of the first 4 weeks and get ISUr, SDSU and NDSU on the road all in the same year

I really hope with ISUr dropping off our rotation next year we take another trip to Fargo or Brookings to even that H/A setup up
Must really piss you off that The coach about win another title is in green n gold and should be at UNI

uni88
December 20th, 2015, 06:29 PM
Build a team?

( Since your at home and we're beat 5 times this year twice by NDSU I guess yes you obviously still have some building to do to become The next NDSU

Doesn't meter how many All conference players you have that's not a barometer of the entire team. We have beat many All American and all conference players

Many UNI fans feel the issue is with selecting and sticking with a offensive system & QB and with not playing it safe at the end of games when we have the lead.

From a QB/System perspective, Farley has shown a tendency to platoon QBs and when he does pick one his preference for a running QB hurts the passing game and the balance and ultimate success of the offense. Picking Carnes over Kollmorgan is an example of this.

We've also had a tendency to play prevent defense in games where we have the lead and let teams dink and dunk their way down the field to the winning score rather than letting a very good defense play the way it has in getting the lead (i.e. dance with the date that brung ya).

We have the recruiting, player development and overall talent to compete with NDSU for NCs as evidenced by our games against the Bison (the losses of which are prime examples of the success of playing it safe with leads). We just need to get out of our own way to give us a better chance of winning one.

So it's not so much about building as it is about adjusting what we've already built.

Wilson16
December 20th, 2015, 06:47 PM
Many UNI fans feel the issue is with selecting and sticking with a offensive system & QB and with not playing it safe at the end of games when we have the lead.

From a QB/System perspective, Farley has shown a tendency to platoon QBs and when he does pick one his preference for a running QB hurts the passing game and the balance and ultimate success of the offense. Picking Carnes over Kollmorgan is an example of this.

We've also had a tendency to play prevent defense in games where we have the lead and let teams dink and dunk their way down the field to the winning score rather than letting a very good defense play the way it has in getting the lead (i.e. dance with the date that brung ya).

We have the recruiting, player development and overall talent to compete with NDSU for NCs as evidenced by our games against the Bison (the losses of which are prime examples of the success of playing it safe with leads). We just need to get out of our own way to give us a better chance of winning one.

So it's not so much about building as it is about adjusting what we've already built.
I finally figured out why the Bizon are so good. They get out of their own way better than UNI. WTF????

clenz
December 20th, 2015, 06:49 PM
UNI certainly has the talent to win a NC. The issue appears to be getting that talent to play everyone as tough as they do against NDSU. Not sure why but UNI has a history of losing 2-3 games a year that they flat out have no business losing. Oh and the fact they continually **** the bed in the PO's. Not sure you can put all of that on Farley as he has led them to a NC appearance.

With a set QB

The playoff losses are the exact thing of Farley in his own way

07 Delaware - Corey Lewis runs all over UD in the first quarter. UNI builds multi score lead and UNI goes away from it. That and ****ing Flacco bouncing All American DT and LBs off him like they didn't touch him

08 Richmond - one score lead with 2 min left. Run 3 run plays with no chance of success while Richmknd has all three TO left. Then play a prevent defense that lets Richmond ride sideline routes down the field with ease

10 Lehigh and Monatana in 11 were just embarrassing

14 Illinois State - running out a QB with a 45% completion rate and unwilling to try to throw the ball. Plays the QB who can throw in the second half and UNI owned that half

Look how UNI has lost to NDSU the last couple losses to them. Late game prevent defenses. Late game offense shutting down to avoid a silly turnover. It's the same ****

The reality is last years team with even a Bailey level QB is a legit title contender.

The QB situation, and how that has been handled since Sanders and Grave graduated is the exact root cause of the issues. If Farley leaves Bailey in charge and doesn't screw with it next year UNI should be the favorite in the conference, if normative nationally, given what's coming back. We'll see if that actually happens though

NDB
December 20th, 2015, 06:50 PM
UNI is the wind beneath NDSU's wings.

clenz
December 20th, 2015, 06:51 PM
On the topic of UNI, Clenz is right. NDSU seems better at developing QB's. Talent is similar for the teams other than that. Things might change a little with FCOA..

I wouldn't expect FCOA to be an advantage for you for more than this coming year. It will be implemented at UNI. I had though for next year but with the AD change it will likely be the year after

clenz
December 20th, 2015, 06:51 PM
Must really piss you off that The coach about win another title is in green n gold and should be at UNI

Nope

Wilson16
December 20th, 2015, 06:53 PM
Nope
Should. He wins titles

clenz
December 20th, 2015, 06:56 PM
Should. He wins titles

You're trying really hard to be a good troll

Simply put, you're pretty bad at it

KPSUL
December 20th, 2015, 07:18 PM
I disagree but you need to do your due diligence just like high school players. Also take the ones with more than one season left to play.

- - - Updated - - -

NDSU was successful long before their FCS days.

Please clarify or correct me if you think this is not correct, But doesn't JSU pick up a lot of SEC transfers? Former highly recruited HS players that may not be fully successful at their P5 school. Having been a HS head coach at several different top Alabama and Mississippi HS for the past 10 years, I'd think your head coach would be in a uniquely opportune position to be aware when many of those guys are looking to transfer, and would be able to talk with important people in their life like former HS coaches. I know that FBS players are required to notify their team before talking to other schools but I assume, like most things in life, there are back channel communications taking place.

Wilson16
December 20th, 2015, 07:19 PM
You're trying really hard to be a good troll

Simply put, you're pretty bad at it
I'll try get out of my own way so I'm better at it

JSUSoutherner
December 20th, 2015, 07:23 PM
Please clarify or correct me if you think this is not correct, But doesn't JSU pick up a lot of SEC transfers? Former highly recruited HS players that may not be fully successful at their P5 school. Having been a HS head coach at several different top Alabama and Mississippi HS for the past 10 years, I'd think your head coach would be in a uniquely opportune position to be aware when many of those guys are looking to transfer, and would be able to talk with important people in their life like former HS coaches. I know that FBS players are required to notify their team before talking to other schools but I assume, like most things in life, there are back channel communications taking place.

Is three starters a lot?

centennial
December 20th, 2015, 07:28 PM
Is three starters a lot?

Yeah well I'm sure if we lived in an igloo in South Canada with no FBS schools around to steal our prospects I'm sure we could have the same amount of transfers as NDSU. We don't have 15. We only start 5.
Keep your story straight.

JSUSoutherner
December 20th, 2015, 07:33 PM
Keep your story straight.

5 FBS starters of which 3 are SEC. My story never changed. The other two are from USF and Southern Miss.

December 20th, 2015, 07:34 PM
Just a note to those who do not understand the oil situation in North Dakota. First the majority of the mineral rights are owned by trusts or out of state owners with little loyalty to the state. Many, if not most, of the land owners in the west do not own the mineral rights to the land they own. Second many of those who work in the oil industry are from out of state. While I am sure some will stay, many do not move their families here. They just came here to work and send money home. Third for many many years you did not get NDSU sports on TV in the western part of the state. You did get Griz sports and there are still many Griz fans in western North Dakota. By history the western part of the state does not think much of the east because of the colonial attitude the east has had toward the west. While there is certainly a benefit to NDSU from the oil boom it is certainly not direct with the exception of royalties paid on wells drilled on school land, and that is not many.

KPSUL
December 20th, 2015, 07:37 PM
Is three starters a lot?

I don't know that's why I asked Cocky. Not you by the way so butt out and get back to the endless childish crap you've been posting.

JSUSoutherner
December 20th, 2015, 07:40 PM
I don't know that's why I asked Cocky. Not you by the way so butt out and get back to the endless childish crap you've been posting.

I was honestly asking for your opinion, but yeah, be an a**hole about it, that's cool too I guess.

NDB
December 20th, 2015, 07:44 PM
I don't think that most of AGS knows NDSU even after four DI titles.

NDSU has won 12 national championships with seven different coaches; the first in 1965.

They had a similar run in the '80s.

Why?

1. A ridiculous aura and demand for excellence that for the most part extends across the entire athletic department.
2. Tradition. It's amazing what knowing that you are going to win does to yourself and your opponent.
3. No bull****. Hard work. Doing what NDSU can with what NDSU has.
4. Fan support.

There are few other football programs or athletic programs at any level that do what NDSU does.

centennial
December 20th, 2015, 07:46 PM
I was honestly asking for your opinion, but yeah, be an a**hole about it, that's cool too I guess.
He is a well respected poster. There is no need to swear.

IBleedYellow
December 20th, 2015, 07:51 PM
With a set QB

The playoff losses are the exact thing of Farley in his own way

07 Delaware - Corey Lewis runs all over UD in the first quarter. UNI builds multi score lead and UNI goes away from it. That and ****ing Flacco bouncing All American DT and LBs off him like they didn't touch him

08 Richmond - one score lead with 2 min left. Run 3 run plays with no chance of success while Richmknd has all three TO left. Then play a prevent defense that lets Richmond ride sideline routes down the field with ease

10 Lehigh and Monatana in 11 were just embarrassing

14 Illinois State - running out a QB with a 45% completion rate and unwilling to try to throw the ball. Plays the QB who can throw in the second half and UNI owned that half

Look how UNI has lost to NDSU the last couple losses to them. Late game prevent defenses. Late game offense shutting down to avoid a silly turnover. It's the same ****

The reality is last years team with even a Bailey level QB is a legit title contender.

The QB situation, and how that has been handled since Sanders and Grave graduated is the exact root cause of the issues. If Farley leaves Bailey in charge and doesn't screw with it next year UNI should be the favorite in the conference, if normative nationally, given what's coming back. We'll see if that actually happens though

The latest loss wasn't because of UNI going into prevent defense.

NDSU played well on the defensive side, not allowing Bailey to hit any of the big plays he previously had against them. Also NDSU changed their gameplan for the second game this year, UNI attempted to do the same thing, which isn't ever a good idea, especially when you lost the first game with that same gameplan.

UNHWildcat18
December 20th, 2015, 07:59 PM
Wow didn't know this simple question of what potential FCS schools can elevate their program to potentially beat NDSU, would turn into a cockfight(lol). I just wanted to see some input from MVFC schools Big Sky schools and CAA, apparently christmas didn't come early.

Bisonoline
December 20th, 2015, 08:04 PM

If theres FBS talent FBS schools come and get them. Not having an FBS team in ND isnt a reason.

The oil boom is a non starter as NDSU was successful a very long time before this boom hit.

Wilson16
December 20th, 2015, 08:18 PM
He is a well respected poster. There is no need to swear.

Ya this is a family site with thin skinned people

Cocky
December 20th, 2015, 09:11 PM
Fanning (AL) and LeMay (UGA) would probably be the only ones who would qualify as highly recruited. Neither will play much if any in the NC. Fanning is out for the year and LeMay is a back up.

SEC guys
Clemmons (KY) is a injured back up RB
Wynn (ARK) is a back up who plays very little.
Landrum (AUB) was too slow to play LB.
Sigler (AUB) was recruit by Landrum out of fast food chain in Mobile after drop out of school.
Woods (MS) was too small for SEC DL
Carson (TN) graduated and came to JSU to play for his high school coach.

PAC 12
Sterling (WA ST) was homesick originally from Aliceville

CUSA
Roberts (UAB) didnt have a team to play for and was originally committed to JSU but followed our HC to UAB.
Miller (USM) had a parent in bad health and moved closer to home

Not sure of conference
Gonzalez (USF) have no idea how he ended up at JSU

We have a few others from FCS or DII but none play.
Most of these players were recruited by JSU out of high school but choose the FBS route. Unfortunately their decision wasnt the best for them long term. I wished these great posters would have came south and mentored these guys in high school so they would never make the wrong decision in life. If you coached in this part of the country you should understand the draw of the big lights of these players. Most come from lower income homes and have very few people they can trust who have been fortunate enough to travel and experience many things. This leads them to make decision based on tv, money and the unknown.

Any ways we give them an opportunity and Im proud of my school for their part. If you and your school doesnt care to give opportunity to these players, fine.

Cocky
December 20th, 2015, 09:17 PM
I don't think that most of AGS knows NDSU even after four DI titles.

NDSU has won 12 national championships with seven different coaches; the first in 1965.

They had a similar run in the '80s.

Why?

1. A ridiculous aura and demand for excellence that for the most part extends across the entire athletic department.
2. Tradition. It's amazing what knowing that you are going to win does to yourself and your opponent.
3. No bull****. Hard work. Doing what NDSU can with what NDSU has.
4. Fan support.

There are few other football programs or athletic programs at any level that do what NDSU does.

I posted it back on page 1 but NDSU fans are too busy posting how much everyone else sucks.

Gil Dobie
December 20th, 2015, 09:38 PM

Sounds like JSU it better than the next NDSU already.

uni88
December 20th, 2015, 09:46 PM
Ya this is a family site with thin skinned people

Sure is ...

I finally figured out why the Bizon are so good. They get out of their own way better than UNI. WTF????

:D

KPSUL
December 20th, 2015, 10:30 PM
Fanning (AL) and LeMay (UGA) would probably be the only ones who would qualify as highly recruited. Neither will play much if any in the NC. Fanning is out for the year and LeMay is a back up.

SEC guys
Clemmons (KY) is a injured back up RB
Wynn (ARK) is a back up who plays very little.
Landrum (AUB) was too slow to play LB.
Sigler (AUB) was recruit by Landrum out of fast food chain in Mobile after drop out of school.
Woods (MS) was too small for SEC DL
Carson (TN) graduated and came to JSU to play for his high school coach.

PAC 12
Sterling (WA ST) was homesick originally from Aliceville

CUSA
Roberts (UAB) didnt have a team to play for and was originally committed to JSU but followed our HC to UAB.
Miller (USM) had a parent in bad health and moved closer to home

Not sure of conference
Gonzalez (USF) have no idea how he ended up at JSU

We have a few others from FCS or DII but none play.
Most of these players were recruited by JSU out of high school but choose the FBS route. Unfortunately their decision wasnt the best for them long term. I wished these great posters would have came south and mentored these guys in high school so they would never make the wrong decision in life. If you coached in this part of the country you should understand the draw of the big lights of these players. Most come from lower income homes and have very few people they can trust who have been fortunate enough to travel and experience many things. This leads them to make decision based on tv, money and the unknown.

Any ways we give them an opportunity and Im proud of my school for their part. If you and your school doesnt care to give opportunity to these players, fine.

I was following up to some comments made by one of the guys calling the game on ESPNU Saturday. He said that JSU had 6 players originally recruited to play for SEC teams. I wasn't sure what he meant. They also put up a map showing were John Grass had coached several different HS teams. It made me think a little bit if there was some relationship between the two.

Thanks for posting all the details raised by those comments.

I think all coaching staffs, regardless of whether the players are right out of HS or transfers, offer opportunities to kids based solely on how they think they'll help the team not who needs the opportunity the most. However, once they get there, it's how they support, develop and treat them that really counts.

Herder
December 20th, 2015, 10:52 PM

Ndsu vs Uni? Ndsu has played better than Uni in the conference when not playing each other. Head to head its been even, but that's one game. Also, cash strapped Uni has put themselves behind the eight ball year after year with scheduling. 2FBS games, 5 only at home, etc, etc. ndsu has scheduled for success. Those factors have kept ndsu well ahead of UNI.

Record wise, success wise, UNI is lagging well behind. Farley has a hard time understand it, but teamwork has won out over talent time and time again.

clenz
December 20th, 2015, 11:24 PM
UNI played 2 FBS games once. That was because Wiscinsin bought out the return trip of a H\H with SUU. That was going to be a road game anyway. Oh and they paid about 500k for it.

You spewed ever piece of ignorant propaganda in the NDSU machine in one post. Good for you

Bisonwinagn
December 21st, 2015, 02:07 AM
It all starts with defense. Recruit defense first starting with DL and go from there. Everyone has a good offense, but it doesn't mean anything if you can't stop the other team. Defense still wins Championships and it might not always look pretty, but it results in wins.

Scooter
December 21st, 2015, 05:21 AM
The first thing that must be done is developed a culture where kids expect to win every game. This type of expectation comes when players totally commit to doing the preparation with the understanding of accountability. This is much harder than it sounds and why it is so rare. Everyone knows what needs to happen...now get 100 college kids to do it.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 21st, 2015, 07:20 AM
The latest loss wasn't because of UNI going into prevent defense.

NDSU played well on the defensive side, not allowing Bailey to hit any of the big plays he previously had against them. Also NDSU changed their gameplan for the second game this year, UNI attempted to do the same thing, which isn't ever a good idea, especially when you lost the first game with that same gameplan.

This here. NDSU took it to UNI, esp on defense.

Any team can say.....the coach underutilized the players or made piss poor decisions....bottom line is that NDSU has gotten it done and the other FCS teams have not.

Bisonator
December 21st, 2015, 07:29 AM
Apparently according to this thread it's easy and everyone has it figured out. Not sure why the next NDSU hasn't happened yet. xlolx

Houndawg
December 21st, 2015, 07:40 AM
NDSU isn't the only FCS school with recruiting camps. UNH has 2 weeks every summer for theirs, and gets to attend the BC, Rutgers, and UConn camps. UNH also has been finding hidden gems that way, in fact, its probably the only thing that has kept UNH competitive lately. UNH coaching staff has an incredible talent at identifying hidden gems the FBS misses on.

I think the key is that NDSU can get the kids not quite good enough for the Big10, while east coast schools have to compete with so many more schools.

NDSU should be in the Mountain West conference, they have everything needed for success at the FBS level. How many more titles until they realize that? A conference will come calling soon enough.

Not only compete with other schools, but with lifestyle in general. A kid that will move to Fargo, ND, without being forced to, is very likely a kid that puts football above everything else.

Laker
December 21st, 2015, 07:46 AM
Apparently according to this thread it's easy and everyone has it figured out. Not sure why the next NDSU hasn't happened yet. xlolx

Maybe they are waiting for the next oilfield to be found under their campus............:D

Professor Chaos
December 21st, 2015, 08:06 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOdAbjebs-g

Cocky
December 21st, 2015, 08:13 AM
You will learn in life, understanding others game plans, business plans or ideas isnt the hard part, execution is the hard part.

UNIFanSince1983
December 21st, 2015, 08:38 AM
So wait is NDSU just the next Georgia Southern, App State, Marshall, Montana, or Youngstown State?

Sure none of those teams had a run of 5 straight, but they were all legitimate dynasties.

BisonBacker
December 21st, 2015, 08:40 AM

IF if and but's were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

SingForever
December 21st, 2015, 09:05 AM
There is a pretty interesting thread developing over on the UNH board regarding elevating the level of play to attempt to match Bison success. It is becoming fairly apparent that NDSU has accomplished all that it can at this level of play. Their formula to success obviously has many factors, however, I'd like to see if we could have a serious discussion on elevating another program to challenge NDSU's success. What needs to be done, how does it need to be done, and who can do it? Have at it men!

Play three home games in a FargoDome clone against teams that never play indoors before playing in the championship game. That's the Number One unfair advantage to seek.

BisonBacker
December 21st, 2015, 09:07 AM
Play three home games in a FargoDome clone against teams that never play indoors before playing in the championship game. That's the Number One unfair advantage to seek.
Well build a dome then.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 21st, 2015, 09:12 AM

xeyebrowx

Home games do help.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 21st, 2015, 09:15 AM
Well build a dome then.

yep. just $81 million in todays dollars. Sounds like a bargain.

AmsterBison
December 21st, 2015, 09:16 AM

Yeah, playing outside in Fargo in December... that would even up the odds. Not sure which team you root for but how do single digit temperatures with the winds gusting to around 30mph sound to you? :)

Lots of teams have built dynasties so it would be better to ask what they have in common. Start with a commitment from the administration and university stakeholders and build from there.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 21st, 2015, 09:17 AM
yep. just $81 million in todays dollars. Sounds like a bargain.

Build a 30K seat dome at NDSU...where is Burgum?

Hammerhead
December 21st, 2015, 09:17 AM
NDSU is 5-1 in the playoffs outside of the Fargodome. 4 wins in Frisco, 1 win at Montana State, and 1 overtime loss to Eastern Washington.

Sycamore62
December 21st, 2015, 09:39 AM
Yeah, playing outside in Fargo in December... that would even up the odds. Not sure which team you root for but how do single digit temperatures with the winds gusting to around 30mph sound to you? :)

Lots of teams have built dynasties so it would be better to ask what they have in common. Start with a commitment from the administration and university stakeholders and build from there.

Well it would suck but I doubt even the NDSU gods could get the weather to change depending on who had the ball.

Im curious if $80M would build the fargo dome now? I know the original build cost was adjusted for inflation but does that hold up?

ysubigred
December 21st, 2015, 09:44 AM
I don't think anybody can match NDSU in FCS. There is nothing more to prove xbowxxdrunkyx at D-II they were great now at D1-FCS they are dominate. Give NDSU the full 80 scholly's and they'd be a consistent top 20 team at DIV 1 BCS, I'd like to see them move on to DIV 1 BCS not out of spite just because it's not even interesting to watch 1FCS anymore. YSU had some glory in the 90's, GSU 80/90's, Appy state 00's even Bosie's short run propelled them to the next level. Three of the four moved up. We all know YSU is in a state of flux since Tressel left and can't get out of their own way.

Good luck Bizon and bring home another ring/trophy for the MVFC xnodx

Wilson16
December 21st, 2015, 09:47 AM
IF if and but's were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas.
You have to remember that the only reason we beat UNI is cause their coach can't get out of his own way.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 21st, 2015, 10:07 AM
Has the Patriot League offering athletic scholarships hurt CAA schools? Are some of the athletes they used to get choosing to go to Patriot League schools now?

I can't really answer that 88. I haven't heard through the grapevine there has been an impact. Logic tells me though that a kid being offered a partial by a CAA school would lose a kid being offered a full ride by a Patriot. So as some have stated earlier, depth might be impacted more so than starting talent. At UNH many walk ons and partial scholarship kids develop into starters and full scholarship before they're done.

Houndawg
December 21st, 2015, 10:08 AM
I don't think anybody can match NDSU in FCS. There is nothing more to prove xbowxxdrunkyx at D-II they were great now at D1-FCS they are dominate. Give NDSU the full 80 scholly's and they'd be a consistent top 20 team at DIV 1 BCS, I'd like to see them move on to DIV 1 BCS not out of spite just because it's not even interesting to watch 1FCS anymore. YSU had some glory in the 90's, GSU 80/90's, Appy state 00's even Bosie's short run propelled them to the next level. Three of the four moved up. We all know YSU is in a state of flux since Tressel left and can't get out of their own way.

They would also be recruiting against Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Northwestern, Michigan...... maybe best to remain a big duck in a small pond.

SUPharmacist
December 21st, 2015, 10:35 AM
UNI played 2 FBS games once. That was because Wiscinsin bought out the return trip of a H\H with SUU. That was going to be a road game anyway. Oh and they paid about 500k for it.

You spewed ever piece of ignorant propaganda in the NDSU machine in one post. Good for you

Not that I agree with the rest of the post you responded to, or even view this as a problem if you schedule the right FBS teams. But, you played Iowa and Hawaii in 2014, that makes twice in 4 years UNI played 2 FBS teams. Certainly not the norm for UNI, buy don't blast people for being ignorant and then give incorrect info yourself.

UNHWildcat18
December 21st, 2015, 10:40 AM

I have to agree to an extent here. There is nothing left for NDSU to prove or accomplish at this level, them winning a 5th championship in a row is the equivalent of that annoying guy(bill burr voice) hey guys I just got employee of the month for the 7th straight month.... NDSU has an amazing program but if they can pack every game and compete as they are there is no reason they couldn't make a New Years six being the highest rated G5 team in a few years. People will argue about costs but other than that I see no reason not to.
You represent your entire state besides UND it's not like you are eastern Michigan. Money aside I think FBS is a move they will make.

gumby013
December 21st, 2015, 10:41 AM
I have to agree to an extent here. There is nothing left for NDSU to prove or accomplish at this level, them winning a 5th championship in a row is the equivalent of that annoying guy(bill burr voice) hey guys I just got employee of the month for the 7th straight month.... NDSU has an amazing program but if they can pack every game and compete as they are there is no reason they couldn't make a New Years six being the highest rated G5 team in a few years. People will argue about costs but other than that I see no reason not to.
You represent your entire state besides UND it's not like you are eastern Michigan. Money aside I think FBS is a move they will make.

Tell that to the conferences.

clenz
December 21st, 2015, 10:43 AM
Not that I agree with the rest of the post you responded to, or even view this as a problem if you schedule the right FBS teams. But, you played Iowa and Hawaii in 2014, that makes twice in 4 years UNI played 2 FBS teams. Certainly not the norm for UNI, buy don't blast people for being ignorant and then give incorrect info yourself.
I forgot about the Hawaii game, which was an experience that the program didn't want to pass up.

There is a history with UNI/Hawaii and an all expense paid trip to Hawaii is something any team would take. That had nothing to do with being "poor". That was 100% about being an experience that very few teams get.

Their basketball arena is named after the same guy our football field is named after.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 21st, 2015, 10:44 AM

I'm going to guess you never once thought it was boring when you were the big kid on the block.

SUPharmacist
December 21st, 2015, 10:47 AM
I forgot about the Hawaii game, which was an experience that the program didn't want to pass up.

There is a history with UNI/Hawaii and an all expense paid trip to Hawaii is something any team would take. That had nothing to do with being "poor". That was 100% about being an experience that very few teams get.

Their basketball arena is named after the same guy our football field is named after.

I certainly understand taking the game. Aside from the travel issues it is a winnable game as well. Heck, you clawed your way into the postseason despite those games putting you being the 8-ball that year.

ysubigred
December 21st, 2015, 10:50 AM
I'm going to guess you never once thought it was boring when you were the big kid on the block.

YSU never made it look as easy as NDSU is making it look to be the big kid on the block. AND yes I was one of the delusional "YSU FANS" that was saying move to the MAC and be top dog there. How my world has come crashing down xsmhx

clenz
December 21st, 2015, 11:40 AM
I certainly understand taking the game. Aside from the travel issues it is a winnable game as well. Heck, you clawed your way into the postseason despite those games putting you being the 8-ball that year.
I just get sick of the same of incorrect **** "UNI is broke"...false. It's not swimming in cash, but 3 sports are giving FCOA this year already, record donations being set every year, FCOA for all sports is likely in place by 17/18. Funding underway for millions of dollars of renovations to the UNIDome. Massive over haul has happened, and still going on in the wrestling facility. Basketball team had a major overhaul to the locker room with a player lounge added, etc... I expected FCOA to be announced for 16/17 but with a change at the AD spot I doubt his/her makes that kind of announcement their first few months...UNLESS...they do the right thing and hire from within. Then it may still be in play for next year.

The myth about being put behind an 8 ball OOC is just bunk, and has more to do with...and I know Wilson can't understand this...Farley finding ways to lose games he shouldn't early in the conference season because he cant' make his mind up on what he wants to do with the offense.

OOC records by year:
2015: 2-1 (2-0 FCS)
2014: 2-2 (2-0 FCS)
2013 : 4-0 (3-0 FCS, FBS win and a 41-6 drubbing of 6 seed McNeese State that could have been 70-6)...lost 3/4 of the starters of that team and lost 5 in a row to open conference play
2012: 1-2 (0-0 FCS, D2 win...Savannah State backed out of the game). Had 2 FCS games get bought out. Play those games and UNI is 2-1...oh well.
2011: 2-1 (2-0 FCS)
2010: 1-2 (1-1 FCS)
2009: 2-1 (2-0 FCS)
2008: 3-1 (3-0 FCS)
2007: 4-0 (2-0 FCS, 1-0 FBS, 1-0 D2)

So, since 2007 UNI is 21-10 OOC overall and 17-1 vs the FCS during OOC play....maybe I misread a score of a game or two though?

I believe Farley's record in the month of November is something like 47-3, or something stupid like that, as well.

The issue is the last week of Sept through the 3rd week of October

December 21st, 2015, 12:01 PM

And it would not be an unfair advantage to force teams from other parts of the country to come to Fargo to play outside when it is -20 which is not uncommon for Fargo in December??????????????? I think they would rather deal with the noise.

UNHWildcat18
December 21st, 2015, 12:22 PM
And it would not be an unfair advantage to force teams from other parts of the country to come to Fargo to play outside when it is -20 which is not uncommon for Fargo in December??????????????? I think they would rather deal with the noise.

I disagree, I don't think many teams would take the dome over the cold

ysubigred
December 21st, 2015, 12:26 PM
I just get sick of the same of incorrect **** "UNI is broke"...false. It's not swimming in cash, but 3 sports are giving FCOA this year already, record donations being set every year, FCOA for all sports is likely in place by 17/18. Funding underway for millions of dollars of renovations to the UNIDome. Massive over haul has happened, and still going on in the wrestling facility. Basketball team had a major overhaul to the locker room with a player lounge added, etc... I expected FCOA to be announced for 16/17 but with a change at the AD spot I doubt his/her makes that kind of announcement their first few months...UNLESS...they do the right thing and hire from within. Then it may still be in play for next year.

The myth about being put behind an 8 ball OOC is just bunk, and has more to do with...and I know Wilson can't understand this...Farley finding ways to lose games he shouldn't early in the conference season because he cant' make his mind up on what he wants to do with the offense.

OOC records by year:
2015: 2-1 (2-0 FCS)
2014: 2-2 (2-0 FCS)
2013 : 4-0 (3-0 FCS, FBS win and a 41-6 drubbing of 6 seed McNeese State that could have been 70-6)...lost 3/4 of the starters of that team and lost 5 in a row to open conference play
2012: 1-2 (0-0 FCS, D2 win...Savannah State backed out of the game). Had 2 FCS games get bought out. Play those games and UNI is 2-1...oh well.
2011: 2-1 (2-0 FCS)
2010: 1-2 (1-1 FCS)
2009: 2-1 (2-0 FCS)
2008: 3-1 (3-0 FCS)
2007: 4-0 (2-0 FCS, 1-0 FBS, 1-0 D2)

So, since 2007 UNI is 21-10 OOC overall and 17-1 vs the FCS during OOC play....maybe I misread a score of a game or two though?

I believe Farley's record in the month of November is something like 47-3, or something stupid like that, as well.

The issue is the last week of Sept through the 3rd week of October

We'll lend you our coach for the first few months and we'll take Farley for Nov and Dec. For the playoff's we'll flip for them :D

Laker
December 21st, 2015, 12:59 PM

It would only take once for a team to play in extreme cold to make them pray to play in the dome.

I've lived my whole life here, played in high school and college and coached my whole career. There is nothing that sucks as much as being chilled to the bone. Playing in ice, snow and wind is why the ancient Vikings idea of hell was not hot but cold.

Sycamore62
December 21st, 2015, 01:54 PM
It would only take once for a team to play in extreme cold to make them pray to play in the dome.

I've lived my whole life here, played in high school and college and coached my whole career. There is nothing that sucks as much as being chilled to the bone. Playing in ice, snow and wind is why the ancient Vikings idea of hell was not hot but cold.

Cramping in the heat

Being taser'd

clenz
December 21st, 2015, 01:57 PM
Cramping in the heat

Being taser'd
Cramping sucks...being taser'd I'd assume sucks.

Being cold to the bone is as bad as it gets.

TwinCitiesBison
December 21st, 2015, 04:49 PM
Apparently the key to becoming the next NDSU is to not have any AFCA All-Americans on your team. xscanx

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 21st, 2015, 05:05 PM

I would much rather play in the cold than the dome. When CCU beat Montana a couple of years ago in Missoula it was legitimately -7 or -8 air temperature. I was living in Bozeman at the time. I can assure you it was bone chilling cold. Lehigh has historically played Colgate in November which means playing in Hamilton every other year. While it might be 10 below it's not uncommon for it to be 15-20 degrees with a wind chill around 0. Andy Kerr is the PL's version of the frozen tundra....

The noise and the dome environment is simply something you can't prepare for at the FCS level. Especially for teams who don't play there on a regular basis....

gregatim
December 21st, 2015, 05:10 PM

I'd qualify that with a "for now". The biggest threat to NDSU coming back to the herd is if/when Klieman leaves and what the staff looks like replacing him. The transition of Bohl leaving went pretty smooth because we kept the same systems on offense and defense. If we lose Klieman and bring in a staff with completely different offensive and defensive strategies, it may not be pretty at NDSU. Fortunately, Bohl hasn't had any success at Wyoming whatsoever, so it may not make it as appealing for some schools to come after Klieman and company. Hopefully that's not just wishful thinking.

Laker
December 21st, 2015, 05:31 PM
Cramping in the heat

Being taser'd

That only happens if you are playing against Odell Beckham Jr.

Grizalltheway
December 21st, 2015, 05:35 PM
So wait is NDSU just the next Georgia Southern, App State, Marshall, Montana, or Youngstown State?

Sure none of those teams had a run of 5 straight, but they were all legitimate dynasties.

We've only won two titles that were six years apart. Sure, we had 5 other title game appearances, but those don't exactly count towards building a "dynasty".

McNeese72
December 21st, 2015, 05:58 PM

Jack Doland started that tradition at McNeese in the early 70's. Only time we drifted from that was the Sony Jackson teams in the late 80's and we sucked. When Bobby Kesler came in in the early 90's we went back to the tradition of no names on the backs.

BisonTru
December 21st, 2015, 06:02 PM
Jack Doland started that tradition at McNeese in the early 70's. Only time we drifted from that was the Sony Jackson teams in the late 80's and we sucked. When Bobby Kesler came in in the early 90's we went back to the tradition of no names on the backs.

I watched a few of your games. I just assumed everyone's last name was McNeese.:D

December 21st, 2015, 09:44 PM
I would much rather play in the cold than the dome. When CCU beat Montana a couple of years ago in Missoula it was legitimately -7 or -8 air temperature. I was living in Bozeman at the time. I can assure you it was bone chilling cold. Lehigh has historically played Colgate in November which means playing in Hamilton every other year. While it might be 10 below it's not uncommon for it to be 15-20 degrees with a wind chill around 0. Andy Kerr is the PL's version of the frozen tundra....

The noise and the dome environment is simply something you can't prepare for at the FCS level. Especially for teams who don't play there on a regular basis....

That is a nice warm day in December here. Try -20 with -50 to -80 wind chill. Exposed skin freezes in seconds. I grew up in ND and lived a number of years in Alaska. While longer, the Alaskan winters were much milder.

Laker
December 21st, 2015, 09:48 PM
That is a nice warm day in December here. Try -20 with -50 to -80 wind chill. Exposed skin freezes in seconds. I grew up in ND and lived a number of years in Alaska. While longer, the Alaskan winters were much milder.

Governor Carlson once called off school across the entire state of Minnesota. At noon they were showing the wind chills and I got the brilliant idea to boil some water and throw it up in the air outside. Sure enough, instant powdered snow. Awful cold.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 21st, 2015, 09:52 PM

I lived in SW Montana so I know brutally cold. It might not have been as prolonged as in ND but the extremes were certainly there. Once it gets to a certain point neither team has an advantage imo. I don't care how accustomed you are to the cold the body simply stops working right in sub zero temps.

I still say atmosphere/crowd noise is a bigger advantage. Duke hasn't lost an OOC game at Cameron Indoor Stadium in 15 years. Teams go in there who aren't use to the sightlines and students have no chance....

Wilson16
December 21st, 2015, 09:57 PM
I lived in SW Montana so I know brutally cold. It might not have been as prolonged as in ND but the extremes were certainly there. Once it gets to a certain point neither team has an advantage imo. I don't care how accustomed you are to the cold the body simply stops working right in sub zero temps.

I still say atmosphere/crowd noise is a bigger advantage. Duke hasn't lost an OOC game at Cameron Indoor Stadium in 15 years. Teams go in there who aren't use to the sightlines and students have no chance....
I think talent might have a tad bit to do with that

Terry2889
December 22nd, 2015, 05:56 AM

Some Winters are longer than others :D

clenz
December 22nd, 2015, 07:01 AM

Dukes, home, OOC opponents

2015/16:
Siena, Bryant, Yale, Utah State, Indiana (forced upon them by the ACC/B10 challenge), Buffalo, Georgia Southern, Elon, Long Beach State

2014/15:
Presbyterian, Fairfield, Furman, Army, Elon, Toledo, Wofford, Boston College

2013/14:
Davidson, Florida Atlantic, UNC Asheville, East Carolina, Vermont, Michigan (forced upon them by the ACC/B10 challenge), Gardner-Webb, Eastern Michigan

2012/13:
Georgia State, Florida Gulf Coast, Ohio State (foced upon them in the ACC/B10 Challenge), Delaware, Cornell, Elon, Santa Clara

Noticing a trend on their typical OOC opponent? I think that has more to do with it than their crowd/sight lines.

Hell, UNI has lost just once at home in the month of November since the McLeod Center opened (2006/2007 season). That includes wins over North Carolina at home. I don't think the environment in the McLeod Center caused UNC the issues. The only loss in the history of the McLeod Center during November was this year's opening game of the season vs Colorado State. Taking exhibitions out of that UNI is 25-1 at home in November. I love the McLeod Center, and it can be rocking, but let's look at the likely reason the home OOC record in November is that nice.

Then again, UNI's total record in the McLeod is 118-29 (80.3%). Maybe the McLeod is just really damn hard to play at.

clenz
December 22nd, 2015, 07:04 AM
Governor Carlson once called off school across the entire state of Minnesota. At noon they were showing the wind chills and I got the brilliant idea to boil some water and throw it up in the air outside. Sure enough, instant powdered snow. Awful cold.
It get's to be air temp of -10 to -20 here in Iowa with wind chills in the 30's and 40's below zero. (occasionally colder)

Give me crowd noise over that bull ****

Sycamore62
December 22nd, 2015, 08:51 AM
Sucks in order for me:

1. Poked in the eye trying to catch a blocked pass.
2. Hamstring cramping in heat while in a stance before a play, then at the end of the play (My teammate) chop blocks the guy im pass blocking (for no reason) twists my ankle and a calf cramp holds it twisted (not all the way)
3. Pepper spray (effects last longer)
4. Taser
5. cold weather. Yes ive been in cold weather.

If it were so much of an advantage, NDSU wouldnt have a dome. Having a dome might be their biggest advantage in this whole equation.

REALBird
December 22nd, 2015, 09:11 AM
They seem to have damn good coaches.
They appear to be VERY good at finding talented kids that fit their system. Not just talented kids. They recruit and evaluate talent with the best of them, and then get the most out of those kids.
They are well coached, and the kids buy into the prestige, program and mindset that coming to NDSU means you win championships. It's all about the name on the front of the jersey.
The DOME field advantage is a damned good thing to have. But the DOME is just a building, the Bison fan base is a freaking Legion. I wish we could get that many people to a home game, much less on the road week in and week out.

Honestly, on a neutral field in the NC game last year. Illinois State had enough talent to win that game. NDSU just refused to go down without a fight. We left 1:38 seconds on the clock and damn it, they said "That's all we need!". Sure we made some bonehead plays down the stretch, but they won that game on sheer will and determination. Best game college football game I've seen LIVE in my life.

I like the NDSU blueprint, but I want to be the best Illinois State not the next NDSU. They're setting the bar right now. Its up to everyone else to catch up. Honestly, I think the closest thing to NDSU in the country right now is possibly UNI. If they and MVFC can stop scheduling themselves into 2-3 early season losses, well that and fix their dysfunctional early season offensive issues they are always in the hunt by years end. They probably play NDSU tougher than any other school in the country each year.

Just my two cents...

Grizalltheway
December 22nd, 2015, 11:13 AM

AK is a pretty big state. If you're on the southeast coast, sure. But Fairbanks? I don't think so, Tim.

OSBF
December 22nd, 2015, 11:17 AM
1) RECRUIT
2) REDSHIRT
3) DEVELOP
4) WIN

As simple as it looks and sounds, that's the formula to win on a consistent basis at the FCS level

Use "down" transfers only as needed to plug holes and gaps in the roster, not to build an entire roster

If you're successful with #'s 1-3 you won't have roster spots available for transfers anyway

Hammerhead
December 22nd, 2015, 11:29 AM
You need a commitment to a top-quality program from the administration, decent facilities to aid in recruiting, and boosters who provide the money to help pay for recruiting trips, facility upgrades, scholarships and whatnot.

UNIFanSince1983
December 22nd, 2015, 11:37 AM
Assistant coaches are huge. You need the money to give to good assistants.

KPSUL
December 22nd, 2015, 12:15 PM
1) RECRUIT
2) REDSHIRT
3) DEVELOP
4) WIN

As simple as it looks and sounds, that's the formula to win on a consistent basis at the FCS level

Use "down" transfers only as needed to plug holes and gaps in the roster, not to build an entire roster

If you're successful with #'s 1-3 you won't have roster spots available for transfers anyway

Good assessment, but I think you need to take your point about selectively using FBS transfers and build it into your model:

1) RECRUIT the right players
2) REDSHIRT all but the most mature and fully developed Freshmen
3) DEVELOP strength and skill
4) Very Selectively find FBS transfers to fill unanticipated gaps
= WIN consistently

On a scale of 1-5, with 5 being the highest, here's how I rate UNH:

RECRUIT: 3.5 (maybe the best they can do given the constraints)
REDSHIRT: 5 (Freshmen should all expect to redshirt, 10% at most will play year 1)
DEVELOP : 5 At UNH, its what its all about)
FBS TRANSFERS: 0 (Seems to be off the table, I think it's putting us at a disadvantage)

How would you rate your program?

OSBF
December 22nd, 2015, 12:33 PM
How would you rate your program?

A work in progress
Moving in the direction of how NDSU/UNI have been able to sustain success for so many years

Anytime you have more than 4/6 FBS "down" transfers on the roster it means that one of two things is true
1) You're relying too heavily on them at the expense of recruiting
OR
2) You're failing at recruiting and are forced into Plan B

Overall, moving in the right direction

Silenoz
December 22nd, 2015, 01:55 PM
Don't underestimate the benefits of "stability"

Look at Montana, nearly all of the same things listed could be used to describe us up until 2001, 2009 or 2011 (depending on who you ask). Now, we struggle against pretty much everyone

BisonBacker
December 22nd, 2015, 02:12 PM
You need a commitment to a top-quality program from the administration, decent facilities to aid in recruiting, and boosters who provide the money to help pay for recruiting trips, facility upgrades, scholarships and whatnot.

Especially the "Whatnot" :D

TwinCitiesBison
December 22nd, 2015, 02:17 PM
Don't underestimate the benefits of "stability"

Look at Montana, nearly all of the same things listed could be used to describe us up until 2001, 2009 or 2011 (depending on who you ask). Now, we struggle against pretty much everyone

This is what made the hiring of Klieman so big when Bohl left with a lot of the staff. Instead of having to do an external search, the Bison were able to "keep the train rolling" with a familiar face, voice, and message captaining the ship. The Bison kept that all-important continuity which has survived a coaching change and complete flipping of the roster from the original championship team. Well, except Vraa, who may never leave.

Professor Chaos
December 22nd, 2015, 02:18 PM
FWIW, I think even NDSU over the next 5-10 years will have a hard time replicating what the 2011-2015 NDSU football program has accomplished. There's a lot of good fortune that has benefited the Bison as well in that time. But, as they say, the harder you work the more "good luck" you'll have.

TwinCitiesBison
December 22nd, 2015, 02:22 PM
FWIW, I think even NDSU over the next 5-10 years will have a hard time replicating what the 2011-2015 NDSU football program has accomplished. There's a lot of good fortune that has benefited the Bison as well in that time. But, as they say, the harder you work the more "good luck" you'll have.

Part of that will have to do with what's hanging over them from the previous class. To be honest, I had chalked up this year to being a down year, especially with Wentz going down. What they have done this season to make a return trip to Frisco has surpassed all of my expectations back in October...so who knows what will happen?

BisonFan02
December 22nd, 2015, 02:47 PM
Part of that will have to do with what's hanging over them from the previous class. To be honest, I had chalked up this year to being a down year, especially with Wentz going down. What they have done this season to make a return trip to Frisco has surpassed all of my expectations back in October...so who knows what will happen?

I had picked ISUr to win the title this year preseason....assumed a slightly down year for the Bison with what we lost. I forgot what thread it was (also include the Montana trip convos), but I said something along the lines of "If the Bison win their 5th straight this year...they are winning 6 in a row". I still think that is the case...this team next year is going to be pretty damn good....especially now that Stick has gotten starts under his belt.

TwinCitiesBison
December 22nd, 2015, 02:54 PM
I had picked ISUr to win the title this year preseason....assumed a slightly down year for the Bison with what we lost. I forgot what thread it was (also include the Montana trip convos), but I said something along the lines of "If the Bison win their 5th straight this year...they are winning 6 in a row". I still think that is the case...this team next year is going to be pretty damn good....especially now that Stick has gotten starts under his belt.

Honestly, if the 5th happens this year, there's no reason to believe that the Bison wouldn't be favored for a 6th, 7th, and 8th with amount of both potential and production they've gotten out of their freshmen (both RS and true). That sounds like hyperbole, but the old saying, "Success breeds success" is in full bloom on the frozen tundra.

Before you get after me too badly, recall I said they would be favored, NOT that they would be an absolute lock to win the next three championships.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 22nd, 2015, 02:56 PM

No one is expecting a NC game appearance every year, but there is no reason not to believe that this program can compete for a playoff spot every year.

NDSU will continue to be a top FCS program for however long they are in the division.

BisonBacker
December 22nd, 2015, 02:57 PM
Honestly, if the 5th happens this year, there's no reason to believe that the Bison wouldn't be favored for a 6th, 7th, and 8th with amount of both potential and production they've gotten out of their freshmen (both RS and true). That sounds like hyperbole, but the old saying, "Success breeds success" is in full bloom on the frozen tundra.

At what point does it become "Meh" and we move on to FBS? If and that's a big if we were to win 6 or more in a row when is it time to move on?

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 22nd, 2015, 02:58 PM
At what point does it become "Meh" and we move on to FBS? If and that's a big if we were to win 6 or more in a row when is it time to move on?

If NDSU can get into a conference, I say go!!

Professor Chaos
December 22nd, 2015, 02:58 PM
No one is expecting a NC game appearance every year, but there is not reason not to believe that this program can compete for a playoff spot every year.

NDSU will continue to be a top FCS program for however long they are in the division.
Agreed. I was more thinking along the lines of going 70-5 (maybe 71-5) over a 5 year stretch. That type of sustained success over a half decade will very likely never be seen again in the subdivision by NDSU or anyone else unless there's a massive shift in membership.

Especially with a 24 team field the minimum expectation every year should be playoffs but there are a few other FCS programs around the country who also have that expectation.

BisonFan02
December 22nd, 2015, 02:59 PM

The Bison can win however many in a row they want......where is the invite going to come from? There is a **** ton of things that would need to change/happen before there is any conversation about FBS...and that doesn't include winning unfortunately.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 22nd, 2015, 03:00 PM
Agreed. I was more thinking along the lines of going 70-5 (maybe 71-5) over a 5 year stretch. That type of success over a half decade will very likely never be seen again in the subdivision by NDSU or anyone else unless there's a massive shift in membership.

Especially with a 24 team field the minimum expectation every year should be playoffs but there are a few other FCS programs around the country who also have that expectation.

Oh ya.......71-5 is probably not going to happen again. But then again, if any team could do it....

BisonBacker
December 22nd, 2015, 03:03 PM
The Bison can win however many in a row they want......where is the invite going to come from? There is a **** ton of things that would need to change/happen before there is any conversation about FBS...and that doesn't include winning unfortunately.

I get that. I'm hoping that there is more going on behind the scenes that we as fans aren't privy to that would be moving us in that direction. That includes Larson putting out feelers to whatever FBS conferences we geographically (using that term lightly) are aligned with to see what kind of interest there maybe. I know the talk is of all the things coming down the line with P5 and G5 schools but when that shift happens NDSU needs to be ready to make the move if not before. That's all I'm saying. You are wrong if you think Winning isn't part of that whole issue.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 22nd, 2015, 03:07 PM
I get that. I'm hoping that there is more going on behind the scenes that we as fans aren't privy to that would be moving us in that direction. That includes Larson putting out feelers to whatever FBS conferences we geographically (using that term lightly) are aligned with to see what kind of interest there maybe. I know the talk is of all the things coming down the line with P5 and G5 schools but when that shift happens NDSU needs to be ready to make the move if not before. That's all I'm saying. You are wrong if you think Winning isn't part of that whole issue.

If the move happens hopefully the Bison are in that "2nd tier" of schools. NDSU would compete and win against those schools also....IMO.

ST_Lawson
December 22nd, 2015, 03:07 PM

Yea, FBS conferences nowadays don't look too heavily at football success...they're more interested in the media markets they can get their cable network on. The Big 10 wasn't interested in Rutgers and Maryland because they were football powerhouses...it was so they could have access to the New York City and the Washington DC/Baltimore media markets.

If a G5 conference decides that Fargo (or more specifically, a large chunk of ND and northwestern MN) is a big enough media market for them to try to access, then you might see an NDSU invite.

UNIFanSince1983
December 22nd, 2015, 03:14 PM
Anyone who wants to be can be part of the Bowl Subdivision of FCS (aka the Sun Belt).

uni88
December 22nd, 2015, 03:18 PM

That's the big question. I don't think the MAC is going to be interested. It's almost 600 miles from the furthest western MAC school (Northern Illinois in DeKalb) to Fargo and with the departure of UMass close to the same distance from DeKalb to what will be the furthest eastern school (Unv of Buffalo). Would they want to double their footprint? Mountain West is probably the best option if they're ever interested.

BisonFan02
December 22nd, 2015, 03:23 PM

No I'm not.....Georgia State, Old Dominion, Coastal Carolina (to a lesser extent)....media market, geography, and recruiting footprint. Its even more ugly when you consider non-football sports. "Winning" can be a symptom of having the needed boxes checked (money....alumni....etc.), but that isn't what is going to get a conference membership "hot and bothered" to add a new member.

BisonBacker
December 22nd, 2015, 03:26 PM
That's the big question. I don't think the MAC is going to be interested. It's almost 600 miles from the furthest western MAC school (Northern Illinois in DeKalb) to Fargo and with the departure of UMass close to the same distance from DeKalb to what will be the furthest eastern school (Unv of Buffalo). Would they want to double their footprint? Mountain West is probably the best option if they're ever interested.

I think this would be most NDSU fans preference anyway but the big question would be "If they're interested"!

BisonFan02
December 22nd, 2015, 03:29 PM

0.0% chance the MAC looks....they would take fellow MVFC members ISUr and YSU first....****, they would take UNI if you dangled your basketball program in front of them.

The MWC is a fit if the Bison accomplish the below:

https://www.ag.ndsu.edu/media/pr/address2015/

AAU membership....18k enrollment...and grow the endowment by $100M....that would get the attention of the MWC member schools.

BisonFan02
December 22nd, 2015, 03:32 PM
0.0% chance the MAC looks....they would take fellow MVFC members ISUr and YSU first....****, they would take UNI if you dangled your basketball program in front of them.

AAU membership....18k enrollment...and grow the endowment by $100M....that would get the attention of the MWC member schools.

Even then...we get sloppy seconds to Montana/Montana St. and others if they turn down the MWC....The Bison are not a geographic fit for a single G5 conference.

clenz
December 22nd, 2015, 03:35 PM

Not gonna lie...

I'd take a MAC membership of the MVC (outside of WSU) doesn't get their **** straight in mens basketball pretty damn quick.

BisonFan02
December 22nd, 2015, 03:37 PM
Not gonna lie...

I'd take a MAC membership of the MVC (outside of WSU) doesn't get their **** straight in mens basketball pretty damn quick.

If I'm UNI, I'm not waiting for WSU. The MVC without either of you guys isn't any good....UNI to the MAC elevates them above your current destination.

clenz
December 22nd, 2015, 03:42 PM
If I'm UNI, I'm not waiting for WSU. The MVC without either of you guys isn't any good....UNI to the MAC elevates them above your current destination.
I heard rumblings a couple years ago regarding potential MAC membership...not going to post them on the board as I haven't heard much about it in a while and I'm not going to be one of the "there's an envelope on the AD's desk" guys, when it's not like that.

It wasn't long ago the MVC looked real good for the coming years. Programs looked to be working to improve themselves. The last 2 or 3 years it seems like programs saw WSU 's freight train, they saw UNI's slump from the cluster **** that was the Doug McDermott fiasco start to resolve it self and they went - "Well ****. We don't have the money to make up that difference to be that level so let's work to be between 3-6.

Basically what we are seeing from most of the schools in the MVFC, sadly.

You, especially, know my thoughts for years on the MVC. It's changing, and quick, because I don't see a future outside of UNI/WSU. Other schools look for excuses, not solutions. The conference doesn't appear to be making any strides to improve itself - see letting Creighton walk and replacing with Loyola (I wasn't happy with it but it followed the conference set up...which worked when Creighton was still here...)

One issue to be considered for UNI is the attendance piece. WSU, SIU, Drake, and ISUr (to a lesser extent) are all strong, old, rivals that tend to draw well. To give those up and try to create all knew rivalries with NIU (imagine ESPN trying to do a UNI/NIU game), Toledo, etc.. just doesn't seem like it would work well.

UNIFanSince1983
December 22nd, 2015, 03:46 PM
Not gonna lie...

The MAC is definitely something you could get me on board with. There are some teams in MVC men's basketball that need to get the ship righted. The MAC isn't a terrible men's basketball conference either.

clenz
December 22nd, 2015, 03:50 PM
The MAC is definitely something you could get me on board with. There are some teams in MVC men's basketball that need to get the ship righted. The MAC isn't a terrible men's basketball conference either.
The MAC is a conference that I'd bet you'd get nearly every football fan on board with, and basketball fans who could look past their nose and see what the MAC+UNI would be vs the MVC-UNI would be okay with it.

MAC, CUSA (just won't happen), and MWC (won't happen) are about the only other conferences UNI would entertain.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 22nd, 2015, 04:04 PM
Dukes, home, OOC opponents

2015/16:
Siena, Bryant, Yale, Utah State, Indiana (forced upon them by the ACC/B10 challenge), Buffalo, Georgia Southern, Elon, Long Beach State

2014/15:
Presbyterian, Fairfield, Furman, Army, Elon, Toledo, Wofford, Boston College

2013/14:
Davidson, Florida Atlantic, UNC Asheville, East Carolina, Vermont, Michigan (forced upon them by the ACC/B10 challenge), Gardner-Webb, Eastern Michigan

2012/13:
Georgia State, Florida Gulf Coast, Ohio State (foced upon them in the ACC/B10 Challenge), Delaware, Cornell, Elon, Santa Clara

Noticing a trend on their typical OOC opponent? I think that has more to do with it than their crowd/sight lines.

Hell, UNI has lost just once at home in the month of November since the McLeod Center opened (2006/2007 season). That includes wins over North Carolina at home. I don't think the environment in the McLeod Center caused UNC the issues. The only loss in the history of the McLeod Center during November was this year's opening game of the season vs Colorado State. Taking exhibitions out of that UNI is 25-1 at home in November. I love the McLeod Center, and it can be rocking, but let's look at the likely reason the home OOC record in November is that nice.

Then again, UNI's total record in the McLeod is 118-29 (80.3%). Maybe the McLeod is just really damn hard to play at.

But to never have a bad night in 15 years or have a team play out of their arse? The law of averages usually kick in before 15 years. Miami's streak at the Orange Bowl was 56 games iirc. It last 12 years?

REALBird
December 22nd, 2015, 04:04 PM
Not gonna lie...

Ever visit the MAC board? The Northern Illinois contingent wants nothing to do with Illinois State. I think the majority over there like the competitiveness of NDSU and would love to add them but hate the fact that Fargo and Buffalo, NY within their footprint isn't a good fit. They like regionalization unless it you're talking about their fixation on expanding to the East and searching for more television sets. JMU, Liberty, App State (before they joined the Belt) were mentioned. Already spurned by Temple who left for greener pastures, and UMass who didn't leave for greener pastures, but left nonetheless....... they're content being back at an even 12 schools.

I am conflicted as I would love to see the football program in the MAC, but as most of our fans often state MAC Basketball......ugh....not so much. The sad truth is if WSU ever leaves is the MVC Basketball Conference much better than the MAC? Time will tell.

UNI at least meets the 15K butts in seat requirement and adding Cedar Falls/Waterloo would appear to be more desirable than the Bloomington/Normal market which gets it's television feeds from Peoria, Decatur and Champaign.

clenz
December 22nd, 2015, 04:17 PM
Ever visit the MAC board? The Northern Illinois contingent wants nothing to do with Illinois State. I think the majority over there like the competitiveness of NDSU and would love to add them but hate the fact that Fargo and Buffalo, NY within their footprint isn't a good fit. They like regionalization unless it you're talking about their fixation on expanding to the East and searching for more television sets. JMU, Liberty, App State (before they joined the Belt) were mentioned. Already spurned by Temple who left for greener pastures, and UMass who didn't leave for greener pastures, but left nonetheless....... they're content being back at an even 12 schools.

I am conflicted as I would love to see the football program in the MAC, but as most of our fans often state MAC Basketball......ugh....not so much. The sad truth is if WSU ever leaves is the MVC Basketball Conference much better than the MAC? Time will tell.

UNI at least meets the 15K butts in seat requirement and adding Cedar Falls/Waterloo would appear to be more desirable than the Bloomington/Normal market which gets it's television feeds from Peoria, Decatur and Champaign.I hate RPI this early in the basketball year...but...

The MVC is one spot a head of the MAC right now...behind the SUmmit, Big West, and Horizon.

Current RPI ratings

Northern Iowa

Wichita St.

Evansville

Southern Ill.

Illinois St.

Indiana St.

Missouri St.

Loyola Chicago

Bradley

Drake

Kent St.

East. Michigan

Ohio

Buffalo

Akron

Northern Illinois

Toledo

Ball St.

Miami (OH)

Bowling Green

W. Michigan

Cent. Michigan

Drake, Bradley and Missouri State have been, and will continue to be 200+ RPI teams for a while. Indiana State might stay between 140-170 most years. Loyola no idea. Illinois State is probably a 120-150 team most years. SIU has been a 200+ team for near a decade.

Add UNI to the MAC and you've got a much better conference than the MVC currently. MAC currently has 7 top 150 teams. MVC has 4 and SIU isn't staying there.

clenz
December 22nd, 2015, 04:23 PM
Forcasting RPI out leaves conference standings looking

B12
P12
ACC
BE
B10
SEC
A10
AAC
CAA
MAC - yep...top 10
MWC
Summit
MVC
WCC
Big West

MVC fans need to realize the MVC that we know and have loved and talked up is ****ing gone. It's gone. There has been zero effort by the leadership to keep it were it was. There is zero effort to make it better.

You better believe that when Elgin was in Wichita for the Utah game WSU gave him a list of demands and said "Unless these things get better we are ****ing out".

You know what? Those demands won't get met.

Remember the scheduling mandate that helped make the conference good? Schools bitched about it and it's now gone and we have teams playing 3 ****ing SWAC schools OOC.

WSU likely wants minimum spending standards on basketball. Will never fly because some schools (won't name them) will bitch about actually having to spend money...same schools that bitch about potentially having to go to Kansas City for a conference tournament, or having to fly to the Dakota's more than once per year in football.

NDSU/SDSU might be football schools but at least they aren't scared to ****ing spend money to try to get better.

Nor Eastern
December 22nd, 2015, 05:04 PM
Even then...we get sloppy seconds to Montana/Montana St. and others if they turn down the MWC....The Bison are not a geographic fit for a single G5 conference.

CUSA w/ UTEP and Sunbelt w/ Idaho. Not unheard of

IBleedYellow
December 22nd, 2015, 05:26 PM
Forcasting RPI out leaves conference standings looking

B12
P12
ACC
BE
B10
SEC
A10
AAC
CAA
MAC - yep...top 10
MWC
Summit
MVC
WCC
Big West

MVC fans need to realize the MVC that we know and have loved and talked up is ****ing gone. It's gone. There has been zero effort by the leadership to keep it were it was. There is zero effort to make it better.

You better believe that when Elgin was in Wichita for the Utah game WSU gave him a list of demands and said "Unless these things get better we are ****ing out".

You know what? Those demands won't get met.

Remember the scheduling mandate that helped make the conference good? Schools bitched about it and it's now gone and we have teams playing 3 ****ing SWAC schools OOC.

WSU likely wants minimum spending standards on basketball. Will never fly because some schools (won't name them) will bitch about actually having to spend money...same schools that bitch about potentially having to go to Kansas City for a conference tournament, or having to fly to the Dakota's more than once per year in football.

NDSU/SDSU might be football schools but at least they aren't scared to ****ing spend money to try to get better.

This will change. I don't see the Summit staying ahead of the Valley.

Also, a conference that NDSU is in that doesn't have UNI included in it makes me sad. I enjoy our rivalry that is starting to blossom.

BisonFan02
December 22nd, 2015, 06:49 PM
This will change. I don't see the Summit staying ahead of the Valley.

Also, a conference that NDSU is in that doesn't have UNI included in it makes me sad. I enjoy our rivalry that is starting to blossom.

Will it? We are running out of OOC games....The fact that the Summit is even ahead NOW should be alarming to MVC members. :D

TennBison
December 22nd, 2015, 07:37 PM

At the moment your 4 national titles behind and probably going to be 5, by my calculations your not even close. NDSU thought it had a top notch program back in the Steve Walker days in the Great West. Then when we got to the MVFC Bohl found out quick that NDSU was not built to handle the conference and built the program over the first few years to beat teams like UNI. It was a decision to get better and not wishful thinking. It was the toughness and physical play of UNI and the rest of the MVFC that made Craig Bohl decide to retool the team and change his recruiting ideas and coaching style. Sure, some teams are close, and once in a while someone trips NDSU up. But no one has been able to do it when it counts.

ST_Lawson
December 22nd, 2015, 07:37 PM
Will it? We are running out of OOC games....The fact that the Summit is even ahead NOW should be alarming to MVC members. :D

That's what I was thinking. We finished up our non-conference portion of the season last night (with a couple of disappointing losses that we could have won if we'd played a little better...oh well). Our next game is on the 1st against Omaha and it's all Summit League teams playing each other from then on, I believe...until post-season tournaments.

So, individual teams may rise and fall, but for the most part, there should be a correspondingly significant drop or boost to the other team's RPI, which should keep conference RPI about where it's at for the most part.

Wilson16
December 22nd, 2015, 07:58 PM
How to become the next NDSU....... Figure out the mid major basketball conference future layout and you're there

oh and RPI has a lot to do with it

uni88
December 22nd, 2015, 08:13 PM

UNI at least meets the 15K butts in seat requirement and adding Cedar Falls/Waterloo would appear to be more desirable than the Bloomington/Normal market which gets it's television feeds from Peoria, Decatur and Champaign.

IMO, ISUr has no chance at the MAC. NIU is more popular in and closer to the Chicago metro area and they're going to veto another Illinois school joining if they have any say in it. No reason to add in-state competition for recruits and resources if you don't have to. I also don't think they would take YSU either. How many Ohio schools do they already have?

UNI might have a shot due to the possibility of gaining viewers/following in Iowa (although Iowa is pretty small population wise) and their success in basketball.

The schools you listed and others on the edge of their footprint would be candidates if they were interested. If they expand, I think they would prefer to do so in a more easterly direction but UMass was too far.

uni88
December 22nd, 2015, 08:15 PM
How to become the next NDSU....... Figure out the mid major basketball conference future layout and you're there

oh and RPI has a lot to do with it

Does Wilson16 have a crush on Clenz? Not sure if that's cute or creepy.

Wilson16
December 22nd, 2015, 08:30 PM
Does Wilson16 have a crush on Clenz? Not sure if that's cute or creepy.
There were more than him in on the BB comments but go ahead and pick out the parts you want. Cause it's cute

Go MAC Go

BisonFan02
December 22nd, 2015, 08:39 PM
There were more than him in on the BB comments but go ahead and pick out the parts you want. Cause it's cute

Go MAC Go

Topic exhausted....its thread drift...go cry about it.

Wilson16
December 22nd, 2015, 08:51 PM
Topic exhausted....its thread drift...go cry about it.

Who shot hit the most three pointers in 2008? Be like NDSU

wahhh

Wilson16
December 22nd, 2015, 08:53 PM
Who shot hit the most three pointers in 2008? Be like NDSU

wahhh
When I get to 7000 posts can I tell you to cry about it?

Professor Chaos
December 22nd, 2015, 09:02 PM
When I get to 7000 posts can I tell you to cry about it?
Why are you asking yourself that?

Wilson16
December 22nd, 2015, 09:04 PM
Why are you asking yourself that?
Because I can. Why do you care?

Professor Chaos
December 22nd, 2015, 09:11 PM
Because I can. Why do you care?
I just find it odd that you quoted your own "wahhhh" post asking yourself if you can cry about whatever "it" is when you get to 7000 posts.

Wilson16
December 22nd, 2015, 09:13 PM
I just find it odd that you quoted your own "wahhhh" post asking yourself if you can cry about whatever "it" is when you get to 7000 posts.
Sorry mr perfect

Professor Chaos
December 22nd, 2015, 09:18 PM
Sorry mr perfect
You're forgiven.

Wilson16
December 22nd, 2015, 09:24 PM
I feel so much better now. Go RPI

No_Skill
December 22nd, 2015, 10:06 PM

He's trying to get his post count up. Leave him alone.

BisonFan02
December 22nd, 2015, 10:08 PM
Speaking of awesome drift.....SE MO got their first men's bball win of the season over Missouri St. xlolx

Wilson16
December 22nd, 2015, 10:36 PM
He's trying to get his post count up. Leave him alone.
Now I know how the all yearists get the posts up there...... Thread drifts

BisonFan02
December 22nd, 2015, 10:42 PM
Now I know how the all yearists get the posts up there...... Thread drifts

Totally....

Wilson16
December 22nd, 2015, 10:52 PM
Totally....
Easy ain't it?

Bison56
December 22nd, 2015, 11:06 PM
What are we talking about again?

awBison
December 22nd, 2015, 11:21 PM
Bacon. I think bacon is the answer.
Lots of protein and salt to replenish sodium levels after hard games/workouts.

BisonTru
December 22nd, 2015, 11:37 PM
Bacon. I think bacon is the answer.
Lots of protein and salt to replenish sodium levels after hard games/workouts.

Winner!

Also of note, having now tried Casey's bacon breakfast pizza. No, it does not have too much bacon.

Bisonator
December 23rd, 2015, 08:09 AM
Speaking of awesome drift.....SE MO got their first men's bball win of the season over Missouri St. xlolx
It was their "Super Bowl".....errr something like that.:D

Twentysix
December 23rd, 2015, 08:10 AM
http://swfhealthandwellness.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Salt.jpg

BisonFan02
December 23rd, 2015, 08:25 AM
Winner!

Also of note, having now tried Casey's bacon breakfast pizza. No, it does not have too much bacon.

****ing A Cotton.... :D

- - - Updated - - -

It was their "Super Bowl".....errr something like that.:D

#ButtMVC xlolx