PDA

View Full Version : Celebration Bowl

Pages : [1] 2

Schism55
December 19th, 2015, 11:07 AM
Announcers were excited to talk about how winner of this game gets a share of the national title >.>

clenz
December 19th, 2015, 11:08 AM
Oh man....that crowd.

It's

Well

Catsfan90
December 19th, 2015, 11:08 AM
Yah the HBCU national title.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 19th, 2015, 11:09 AM
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo343/haywyre/Reactions/LOLwut.gif

Catsfan90
December 19th, 2015, 11:12 AM
Oh man....that crowd.

It's

Well
....About what I'd expect for any non new years eve bowl game.

BisonFan02
December 19th, 2015, 11:13 AM
Are they going to do a "money drop" at halftime or do the bands take up too much time?

clenz
December 19th, 2015, 11:14 AM
....About what I'd expect for any non new years eve bowl game.

If there are half of the bowls where I can find photos that look more empty, during the game, you get to pick my avatar for Jan21st through Feb 28....

BisonFan02
December 19th, 2015, 11:15 AM
If there are half of the bowls where I can find photos that look more empty, during the game, you get to pick my avatar for Jan21st through Feb 28....

AGS WAGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

clenz
December 19th, 2015, 11:16 AM
Here's an in game reference photo I just tookhttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/19/f26d94e6683c5affa68a7b52abcc5710.jpg

Catsfan90
December 19th, 2015, 11:16 AM
Ha-ha I'm in.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 19th, 2015, 11:17 AM
I thought this was the biggest game of ever?

- - - Updated - - -

Here's an in game reference photo I just tookhttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/19/f26d94e6683c5affa68a7b52abcc5710.jpg

I'll take a pick of the Division II championship game later today, I'll be willing to bet there are more people there than empty seats in this picture.

Professor Chaos
December 19th, 2015, 11:18 AM
Didn't they claim they sold 40,000+ tickets for this game?

NoDak 4 Ever
December 19th, 2015, 11:19 AM
Do you think the announcers are told to talk about this game like these are the only two conference in FCS?

Catsfan90
December 19th, 2015, 11:21 AM
Didn't they claim they sold 40,000+ tickets for this game?
That's what I remember hearing. That tickets were going to be sold out.

clenz
December 19th, 2015, 11:22 AM
I think we are going to see very tight shots of the field and very tight shots of small pockets of fans

Catsfan90
December 19th, 2015, 11:22 AM
Atleast their sponsor is legit. It's not the: Acme Bunyan cream bowl.

RootinFerDukes
December 19th, 2015, 11:23 AM
You guys need to take it easy on this new Fcs bowl game. It's significantly more people in attendance than any given Georgia state game in the Georgia dome.
The sun belt might want to add both of these programs to make them look more big time than they currently are.

clenz
December 19th, 2015, 11:24 AM
Here's a link to the NCAT return for a TD

Catsfan, this is my reference point along with my picture. Remember I only need 21 bowls to not look 90% empty

https://twitter.com/ncataggies/status/678263901570617348

Do I get control of your avatar if I win?

Hell, ill even throw out the FBS playoffs

RootinFerDukes
December 19th, 2015, 11:26 AM

It's easy to sell out a game when corporate sponsors receive blocks of comped tickets that go unused and schools are forced to buy unsold tickets.

Bison56
December 19th, 2015, 11:29 AM

Maybe they went to the wrong stadium? It looks pathetic.

BisonFan02
December 19th, 2015, 11:33 AM
It's easy to sell out a game when corporate sponsors receive blocks of comped tickets that go unused and schools are forced to buy unsold tickets.

This............

Catsfan90
December 19th, 2015, 11:34 AM

Catsfan, this is my reference point along with my picture. Remember I only need 21 bowls to not look 90% empty

Ha-ha of course you do! It's only fair.

clenz
December 19th, 2015, 11:35 AM
I hate the fact that they keep using FCS rankings when talking about these teams

It's embarrassing to the rest of us

Catsfan90

Whe are just going off of site right? Not official attendance?

dgtw
I thought the Homer Plessy Bowl would draw a bigger crowd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catsfan90
December 19th, 2015, 11:36 AM
Maybe they went to the wrong stadium? It looks pathetic.
I'd say they did. I can understand what they were trying to do, the classic in the Superdome is attended well. But this isn't it at all.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 19th, 2015, 11:36 AM
I hate the fact that they keep using FCS rankings when talking about these teams

It's embarrassing to the rest of us

They have mentioned zero other teams/conferences in FCS. Like they don't exist.

BisonFan02
December 19th, 2015, 11:39 AM
Nice defense.

clenz
December 19th, 2015, 11:39 AM
Whe are just going off of site right? Not official attendance?

Yes

Official numbers will be bunk for 90% of bowls. I'll create a database of photos from bowls as they go on and create an official avatar bet thread for people to vote on who won since it may be subjective with some games

BisonFan02
December 19th, 2015, 11:41 AM
The MEAC plays better football than the SWAC today....give it a few years and all things will level back out with these bowls between the two.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes

Official numbers will be bunk for 90% of bowls. I'll create a database of photos from bowls as they go on and create an official avatar bet thread for people to vote on who won since it may be subjective with some games

Man......I have SOOOO many ideas for your avatar it isn't even funny....don't think you will lose...but whatever. :D

clenz
December 19th, 2015, 11:42 AM
The MEAC plays better football than the SWAC today....give it a few years and all things will level back out with these bowls between the two.

This is true

The MEAC will fallback to SWAC level bad by the end of this coming recruiting cycle....2019/2020

clenz
December 19th, 2015, 11:43 AM

- - - Updated - - -

Man......I have SOOOO many ideas for your avatar it isn't even funny....don't think you will lose...but whatever. :D

Since he's a UNH fan the only thing that comes to mind is a created avatar showing the record of UNH va UNI

Or a picture of Eric Sanders or Montari Leonard

BisonFan02
December 19th, 2015, 11:44 AM
Since he's a UNH fan the only thing that comes to mind is a created avatar showing the record of UNH va UNI

That's not where I would take it.... xlolx My trolling level dial goes to 11 with this one... :D

BisonFan02
December 19th, 2015, 11:48 AM
This game is just brutal to watch....I'm checking out. The level of play/athletes between the FCS playoff games and this debacle is staggering....

Catsfan90
December 19th, 2015, 11:48 AM
Nice defense.
It's 3rd in the FCS!! The entire FCS!! :eek:

Catsfan90
December 19th, 2015, 11:49 AM
Yes

Yah, I was gunna mention that! I'm sure this game has 60,000 in attendance ;)

BisonFan02
December 19th, 2015, 11:50 AM

http://media2.giphy.com/media/Fml0fgAxVx1eM/giphy.gif

Catsfan90
December 19th, 2015, 11:52 AM

I have a few ideas, but I'm not sharing until I win.

BisonFan02
December 19th, 2015, 11:53 AM
Okay...now I'm out. Just saw that a player injured himself punching a dry erase board.... xlolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 19th, 2015, 11:54 AM

Considering the conference.....not saying much....

Big Dawg
December 19th, 2015, 11:56 AM
So much hate in this thread...if you don't like it then don't watch it. Simple as that

People on social media are loving this game and Tarik Cohen is trending nationally...but you guys continue to be upset with the MEAC and SWAC...it's laughable

- - - Updated - - -

This game is just brutal to watch....I'm checking out. The level of play/athletes between the FCS playoff games and this debacle is staggering....

Who cares, man?

Big Dawg
December 19th, 2015, 11:58 AM
This is why I've stayed away from this board...even when we were in the playoffs, the disrespect we receive from you all is ridiculous.

I used to love this place...but eh..

RootinFerDukes
December 19th, 2015, 11:59 AM
They have mentioned zero other teams/conferences in FCS. Like they don't exist.

I've watched all the meac/swac games this year and a number the past few seasons. This is a regular thing.
They don't acknowledge any of the rest of Fcs, form their own fake rankings for hbcu only schools and talk as if hbcu's are the equivalent of fbs teams.
Jay walker is the biggest hbcu homer there is. He didn't like that the 2nd place meac team didn't make the Fcs playoffs.

BisonFan02
December 19th, 2015, 12:01 PM
Someone catch a screenshot of the crowd right after halftime.

Big Dawg
December 19th, 2015, 12:01 PM
I've watched all the meac/swac games this year and a number the past few seasons. This is a regular thing.
They don't acknowledge any of the rest of Fcs, form their own fake rankings for hbcu only schools and talk as if hbcu's are the equivalent of fbs teams.
Jay walker is the biggest hbcu homer there is. He didn't like that the 2nd place meac team didn't make the Fcs playoffs.

Why should they mention the rest of FCS...you don't agree with the game but want to receive publicity from it?

BisonFan02
December 19th, 2015, 12:02 PM
Why should they mention the rest of FCS...you don't agree with the game but want to receive publicity from it?

I'm the opposite of RootinFerDukes....I don't want the FCS mentioned at ALL during these games....and I would much rather they stop calling this stuff FCS football.

Catsfan90
December 19th, 2015, 12:03 PM
I'm the opposite of RootinFerDukes....I don't want the FCS mentioned at ALL during these games....and I would much rather they stop calling this stuff FCS football.
I agree with this. Let them separate themselves, its what they want anyways.

kdinva
December 19th, 2015, 12:05 PM
.....They don't acknowledge any of the rest of Fcs, form their own fake rankings for hbcu only schools and talk as if hbcu's are the equivalent of fbs teams.

xhighfivex

FWIW: Del. State would Beat ALcorn....

Big Dawg
December 19th, 2015, 12:07 PM

http://i.imgur.com/t8GaqMh.gif

Catsfan90
December 19th, 2015, 12:07 PM
This is why I've stayed away from this board...even when we were in the playoffs, the disrespect we receive from you all is ridiculous.

I used to love this place...but eh..
Just having some fun man! I think it's great they are doing this for themselves. Whe'd be making these jokes if it was anyother team in similar situations.

KnightoftheRedFlash
December 19th, 2015, 12:09 PM
That sideline reporter said the dumbest question about more FCS bowls. The commissioners were wise enough to ignore it. Why would the FCS conferences give up their playoff for empty bowl games?

kdinva
Just having some fun man! I think it's great they are doing this for themselves. Whe'd be making these jokes if it was anyother team in similar situations.

next year they'll be a Pioneer/Ivy celebration game in december.....

BisonFan02
That sideline reporter said the dumbest question about more FCS bowls. The commissioners were wise enough to ignore it. Why would the FCS conferences give up their playoff for empty bowl games?

Wait.....what???

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 19th, 2015, 12:12 PM
I agree with this. Let them separate themselves, its what they want anyways.

This here and agree.

Looks like the ref crew was the one in the FD last week.....head ref at least.

This brand of football is OK to watch. The talent level is nothing compared to the top level FCS programs but if they continue to market the product, this bowl could be decent in the future. The crowd looks small but you would think, in the future, that it would increase with more exposure.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep...stupid question.

BisonFan02
December 19th, 2015, 12:13 PM
This here and agree.

Looks like the ref crew was the one in the FD last week.....head ref at least.

This brand of football is OK to watch. The talent level is nothing compared to the top level FCS programs but if they continue to market the product, this bowl could be decent in the future. The crowd looks small but you would think, in the future, that it would increase with more exposure.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep...stupid question.

What was the conversation? Anyone got a more expanded cliff notes or anything?

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 19th, 2015, 12:14 PM
xhighfivex

FWIW: Del. State would Beat ALcorn....

Most top level D2 teams would....

KnightoftheRedFlash
December 19th, 2015, 12:14 PM
Wait.....what???

The sideline reporter explicitly stated how would you encourage more FCS conferences to have a bowl game using this model?

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 19th, 2015, 12:16 PM
What was the conversation? Anyone got a more expanded cliff notes or anything?

Reporter asked both conference commissioners about more bowl games for FCS schools and if they should do it. Both didn't answer it...which they should. This is a good game for HBCU. Market it more and get two teams that are undefeated and I think the crowd would be really good. Get a band competition going....HBCU bands are awesome.

Catsfan90
December 19th, 2015, 12:18 PM
Reporter asked both conference commissioners about more bowl games for FCS schools and if they should do it. Both didn't answer it...which they should. This is a good game for HBCU. Market it more and get two teams that are undefeated and I think the crowd would be really good. Get a band competition going....HBCU bands are awesome.
Someone mentioned earlier the advertising that could come out of this as well. That's a niche market that these games can really benefit from.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 19th, 2015, 12:20 PM
#28 is pretty quick for A & T

BisonFan02
December 19th, 2015, 12:21 PM

Ok..... xlolx In reality though, I'm not against these guys doing bowl games like this. If they don't want to participate in the postseason (see Ivy), there's nothing wrong with wanting to give your student athletes a reward of a bowl game for winning their conference. The only thing that really bothers me is the need to isolate their programs with these types of bowl games and still try to pass it off as "FCS" football. I feel the exact same way with the Ivy league...

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 19th, 2015, 12:25 PM
Ok..... xlolx In reality though, I'm not against these guys doing bowl games like this. If they don't want to participate in the postseason (see Ivy), there's nothing wrong with wanting to give your student athletes a reward of a bowl game for winning their conference. The only thing that really bothers me is the need to isolate their programs with these types of bowl games and still try to pass it off as "FCS" football. I feel the exact same way with the Ivy league...

I agree that this is not a comparable product as the top level FCS teams.

Ivy League....xlolx.....who cares!!.....xlolx

The Mankato State team I saw this year would beat both of these teams today. But it is still fun to watch....it's football!

veinup
December 19th, 2015, 12:26 PM
boo this game, boo this game

PantherRob82
December 19th, 2015, 12:33 PM
http://i.imgur.com/t8GaqMh.gif

Yet here you are.

catamount man
December 19th, 2015, 12:44 PM
I'm enjoying it. A&T has a monster defense and that RB is good as well. Nothing but love here. I remember A&T whipping my CATS when I was 18, in Cullowhee no less. Very formidable team.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 19th, 2015, 12:46 PM
Mark May.....xsplatx

WileECoyote06
December 19th, 2015, 12:52 PM
Thanks for watching!

RootinFerDukes
December 19th, 2015, 01:00 PM
My only real complaint about this broadcast was the fact that the commentators felt the need to sell this as a "national championship". I also liked that the SWAC commissioner just answered her stupid FCS bowls question without even answering her question whatsoever. It was smart to not go down the "hey join us in these bowl games" road.

clenz
December 19th, 2015, 01:00 PM
Thanks for watching!

Meh

Shutting it off for the New Mexico Bowl

AmsterBison
December 19th, 2015, 01:01 PM
ESPN had a nice bit about the game. Good exposure for the programs and conferences.

centennial
December 19th, 2015, 01:04 PM
These are Missouri State level teams.

Bisonator
December 19th, 2015, 01:09 PM
These stupid bowls happen because idiots who whine about them are stupid enough to watch them.

centennial
December 19th, 2015, 01:11 PM
These stupid bowls happen because idiots who whine about them are stupid enough to watch them.
I want to watch some football. So guilty. I do feel bad for watching it :(

IBleedYellow
December 19th, 2015, 01:12 PM
Why are you guys complaining about this?

You KNEW what the product on the field would be, you knew who the teams would be, you knew what they would say about the FCS. YOU KNOW what the HBCU's do and what they stand for.

You know all of these things, and still watch the game? You're sheeple and follow right into ESPN, and just proves why this Celebration Bowl is a good idea for the MEAC/SWAC.

They won't do well in the playoffs, so they took their ball and went to play somewhere else. More power to them.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 19th, 2015, 01:17 PM
Nice drive by A & T

centennial
December 19th, 2015, 01:18 PM
Why are you guys complaining about this?

You KNEW what the product on the field would be, you knew who the teams would be, you knew what they would say about the FCS. YOU KNOW what the HBCU's do and what they stand for.

You know all of these things, and still watch the game? You're sheeple and follow right into ESPN, and just proves why this Celebration Bowl is a good idea for the MEAC/SWAC.

They won't do well in the playoffs, so they took their ball and went to play somewhere else. More power to them.
To be honest, there are some talented kids on these teams. How they use the talent..

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 19th, 2015, 01:18 PM

Don't watch then.

Nice pass to the QB

centennial
December 19th, 2015, 01:20 PM
27-19 game on.

FootballCEO
December 19th, 2015, 01:21 PM
Honestly, I'm here and it's about a good 30K here. Game is entertaining, the City of Atlanta and the CFB HOF (which I visited and spoke w/the VP in charge of Marketing and her Asst.) are absolutely thrilled about the game as well as it's future. They're already in talks w/the bowl game in expanding the HOF exhibit there. Also, there's about a good 25K in the stands. Issue is that there's about a good 12K in the concourse.

This game IMO will outdraw the Quick Lane Bowl, NM Bowl, Cure Bowl and Camellia Bowl and FCS Title game (mainly b/c of stadium size). This was a good showing for the FCS and ESPN both game and crowd.

No need to be salty, this helps the FCS grow as a whole. Don't understand the hate

centennial
December 19th, 2015, 01:23 PM
Honestly, I'm here and it's about a good 30K here. Game is entertaining, the City of Atlanta and the CFB HOF (which I visited and spoke w/the VP in charge of Marketing and her Asst.) are absolutely thrilled about the game as well as it's future. They're already in talks w/the bowl game in expanding the HOF exhibit there. Also, there's about a good 25K in the stands. Issue is that there's about a good 12K in the concourse
Give everyone good tickets then.

Schism55
December 19th, 2015, 01:23 PM
Sideline reporter will haunt my nightmares for at least a fortnight.
Actual attendance, ie butts in seats. 12K?

RootinFerDukes
December 19th, 2015, 01:26 PM
This is the only bowl game I planned on watching this season and I watched no bowl games last season. I'm watching this one to support FCS teams, as I try to watch all FCS games that air in my area.
I'm just one person. The fans who clamor for the FBS level are the ones who are devoting as much time following the P5 collectively as they do watching their own lower level team. It's the casual viewer that causes these bowls to keep cropping up.

FootballCEO
December 19th, 2015, 01:26 PM
Give everyone good tickets then.

Huh?

When I say they're in the concourse, these are the people that's supposed to be in the seats...but they're walking around. It's a different type of crowd at an HBCU game.

1. Those that are interested in the game
2. Those that are interested in Halftime and Post Game
3. Those that are interested in the social scene going on in the concourse/mezzanine

Tough to get all 3 in seats at the same time

UNIFanSince1983
December 19th, 2015, 01:28 PM
I feel like if it were a team like Southern or Grambling the turnout probably would have been better. Can't help but think that Alcorn isn't quite the draw of those two teams.

GAD
December 19th, 2015, 01:28 PM
Honestly, I'm here and it's about a good 30K here. Game is entertaining, the City of Atlanta and the CFB HOF (which I visited and spoke w/the VP in charge of Marketing and her Asst.) are absolutely thrilled about the game as well as it's future. They're already in talks w/the bowl game in expanding the HOF exhibit there. Also, there's about a good 25K in the stands. Issue is that there's about a good 12K in the concourse.

This game IMO will outdraw the Quick Lane Bowl, NM Bowl, Cure Bowl and Camellia Bowl and FCS Title game (mainly b/c of stadium size). This was a good showing for the FCS and ESPN both game and crowd.

No need to be salty, this helps the FCS grow as a whole. Don't understand the hate
How many on the mezz (2nd) level? Tickets were less expensive there

centennial
December 19th, 2015, 01:29 PM
Huh?

When I say they're in the concourse, these are the people that's supposed to be in the seats...but they're walking around. It's a different type of crowd at an HBCU game.

3. Those that are interested in the social scene going on in the concourse/mezzanine

Oh. My bad.

UNIFanSince1983
December 19th, 2015, 01:30 PM
Huh?

Looks like those interested in the game are the minority. Maybe they should just have a gathering and a band performance. Seems like the football game is just an excuse to get together...

FootballCEO
December 19th, 2015, 01:31 PM
I feel like if it were a team like Southern or Grambling the turnout probably would have been better. Can't help but think that Alcorn isn't quite the draw of those two teams.

Alcorn has the most fans here

- - - Updated - - -

How many on the mezz (2nd) level? Tickets were less expensive there

Good deal on Alcorn's side, NCAT's sparse

RootinFerDukes
December 19th, 2015, 01:32 PM
They finally cut to an endzone shot and there were two sections almost completely packed with Alcorn fans. I'm assuming this is a section sold directly by the school, but the crowd would look so much better on tv if those people were scattered throughout the mid-field sections instead of all bunched into two sections off in the corner.

DFW HOYA
December 19th, 2015, 01:37 PM
It might be a small crowd, but it's 100x more exposure than they're giving those games on ESPN3.

GAD
December 19th, 2015, 01:37 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Good deal on Alcorn's side, NCAT's sparse
They are showing A&T side on TV
Most don't understand SWAC and MEAC crowds (fans) are very different

FootballCEO
December 19th, 2015, 01:39 PM
You guys are keeping me filled in on the TV coverage b/c we're not seeing that in the press box. It's stadium camera w/no sound. How would you rate the announcers/analyst? B/c it's always the same for HBCU games. Trying to make a dent in that market and get to color-commentate more games

- - - Updated - - -

It might be a small crowd, but it's 100x more exposure than they're giving those games on ESPN3.

Agreed! I saw some notes on ESPN3 viewership by FCS conference.. trying to get my hands on it w/o being seen

clenz
December 19th, 2015, 01:40 PM
You guys are keeping me filled in on the TV coverage b/c we're not seeing that in the press box. It's stadium camera w/no sound. How would you rate the announcers/analyst? B/c it's always the same for HBCU games. Trying to make a dent in that market and get to color-commentate more games

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed! I saw some notes on ESPN3 viewership by FCS conference.. trying to get my hands on it w/o being seen

Bad

clenz
December 19th, 2015, 01:42 PM
Bad

Rephrase this

Jay Walker is terrible

DFW HOYA
December 19th, 2015, 01:45 PM
I saw some notes on ESPN3 viewership by FCS conference.. trying to get my hands on it w/o being seen

Sounds promising.

KPSUL
December 19th, 2015, 01:46 PM
- - - Updated - - -

Maybe not the best I've ever seen, but certainly not the worst I've seen covering FCS football. Play by play is better than color commentator. You may have an opportunity here.

KPSUL
December 19th, 2015, 01:50 PM
Huh?

Sounds like an average FCS Homecoming game.

centennial
December 19th, 2015, 01:51 PM
Not sure about that call.....

BisonFan02
December 19th, 2015, 01:51 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Em.....I would take you over Jay Walker 100 out of 100 times. Probably not fair for us to set the bar that low for you though to compare you to "Former NFL QB" Jay Walker. :D Aim higher...

clenz
December 19th, 2015, 01:56 PM
Em.....I would take you over Jay Walker 100 out of 100 times. Probably not fair for us to set the bar that low for you though to compare you to "Former NFL QB" Jay Walker. :D Aim higher...

Jay Walker is the most perfect example of just because you played the sport doesn't mean you should be paid to talk about it, especially on national TV.

The fact he has been "the face of the FCS" for years because of the selection show is an embarrassment to the level

FootballCEO
December 19th, 2015, 01:59 PM
I'll have to reach out to ESPN 1-3 lol

- - - Updated - - -

They are showing A&T side on TV
Most don't understand SWAC and MEAC crowds (fans) are very different

Funny that it looks like more A&T fans are showing up (or at least finally getting to their seats seeing that it's the 4th QTR)

KPSUL
December 19th, 2015, 01:59 PM
The other two bowls today are regional match-ups between natural rivals; NM and AZ / Utah and BYU. I suspect they will both be well attended.

RootinFerDukes
December 19th, 2015, 02:00 PM
http://sports.cbsimg.net/images/collegefootball/gsucashdrop.jpg

This Celebration Bowl has shown us that the Georgia Dome has come a long way from it's typical big time college football games played there.

BisonFan02
December 19th, 2015, 02:02 PM
http://sports.cbsimg.net/images/collegefootball/gsucashdrop.jpg

This Celebration Bowl has shown us that the Georgia Dome has come a long way from it's typical big time college football games played there.

LOL.....Money Drop....that's HOT HOT HOT.

RootinFerDukes
December 19th, 2015, 02:02 PM
The other two bowls today are regional match-ups between natural rivals; NM and AZ / Utah and BYU. I suspect they will both be well attended.
The New Mexico Bowl is essentially Arizona playing at New Mexico. It's their home field.

FootballCEO
December 19th, 2015, 02:05 PM
35,548 attendance announced

centennial
December 19th, 2015, 02:05 PM
Everybody must be socializing.

Panther88
December 19th, 2015, 02:07 PM
What's the payout from sitting at home watching the fcs playoffs again? lmao

clenz
December 19th, 2015, 02:07 PM
Catsfan falls behind early on our avatar bet

New Mexico Bowl

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/19/5d9df3abf0cdc972a1e240ccdb5788b4.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/19/1345d15b5daf7ca30a386ccea34ab6c5.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/19/e9f68168652745b242cc3eee441f14ea.jpg

Panther88
December 19th, 2015, 02:08 PM

lol xlolx I'm 2 of that # w/out physically being there via purchased and given away tix :D . Smart P88!

gsf23nd
December 19th, 2015, 02:10 PM
Chirst...his own guy hit him harder than the d-lineman..

Schism55
December 19th, 2015, 02:13 PM
That's pretty funny.
Can i get some of what that ticket counter is smoking?

Big Dawg
December 19th, 2015, 02:16 PM
Yet here you are.

And yet you commented on a thread for a "meaningless game" on ABC

Panther88
December 19th, 2015, 02:17 PM
That's pretty funny.
Stop injecting your meth and smoke it instead to achieve that feeling you so richly deserve-hopefully doa :D lol.

Big Dawg
That's pretty funny.

Alcorn State's side is pretty full...and they have people in the upper deck on that side

clenz
That's pretty funny.

Yeah

Even the numbers he said from being there seem wrong

That would mean the stadium is half full

The lower bowl isn't but just over half full

Panther88
December 19th, 2015, 02:18 PM

These dumb bytches are dumb as shat. Why waste time commenting or god forbid watching? How dumb. xsmhx

Big Dawg
December 19th, 2015, 02:19 PM
This is a great game...34-34 in the 4th quarter

5:10 left in regulation and the teams are leaving it all out on the field

clenz
December 19th, 2015, 02:19 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/19/48ef3c612ca270e3b392d9ee5cfe5d0e.jpgm
That's why 5 min left in the 4th right after that td

Big Dawg
December 19th, 2015, 02:21 PM
Tarik Cohen with ANOTHER long Touchdown for NCA&T

RootinFerDukes
December 19th, 2015, 02:22 PM
I'm glad there's a fellow TiVo user on here Clenz :)

gsf23nd
December 19th, 2015, 02:23 PM
Looked like the play NDSU tired to run last night..

clenz
December 19th, 2015, 02:26 PM
I'm glad there's a fellow TiVo user on here Clenz :)

Had one since 08

Won't not have one ever again

I don't have cable but still bought a 4 tuner over the air specific TiVo to use

REALBird
December 19th, 2015, 02:28 PM
Damned entertaining game if you ask me.

centennial
December 19th, 2015, 02:31 PM
They are going to a FBS level bowl. Hats off to them.

dgtw
December 19th, 2015, 02:38 PM
Meh

Shutting it off for the New Mexico Bowl

Turn on ESPNU for real FCS action.

RootinFerDukes
December 19th, 2015, 02:38 PM
sorry ndsu, shsu and jax state fans, these commentators are saying the winner of this game is the national champion. I guess someone finally did dethrone the Bison.

centennial
December 19th, 2015, 02:41 PM
sorry ndsu, shsu and jax state fans, these commentators are saying the winner of this game is the national champion. I guess someone finally did dethrone the Bison.
Both these teams would struggle with 6-8th place MVFC team.

clenz
December 19th, 2015, 02:43 PM

No cable and a sleeping 3 month old on my shoulder now allowing me to change games on my laptop

KPSUL
December 19th, 2015, 02:43 PM
Good competitive game with some exciting plays. Enjoyed it and glad I watched. Congrats to NC A&T!

Big Dawg
December 19th, 2015, 02:45 PM

This was "real" FCS action

PantherRob82
December 19th, 2015, 02:45 PM

Where did I say that? I am not convinced it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it's cool for you guys.

Big Dawg
December 19th, 2015, 02:46 PM
Congrats to NCA&T...very entertaining game.

kdinva
December 19th, 2015, 02:53 PM

When does A&T visit the White House?

clenz
December 19th, 2015, 03:07 PM
Cats fan falls down 0-2 early in our bet...Las Vegas Bowl

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/19/ea26dbe1a36460e3f50271adec35f617.jpg

He's going to take a good lead on me over the next week is think but I still think I take it in the end

major095
December 19th, 2015, 03:14 PM
alcorn will sleep well having played in front of a national audience and received its payout which will be more than all FCS playoff participants combined. I'm sure than performance wont hurt recruiting since they could actually watch the game without having to cut their computer or tablet on and go to espn3.

we should give that up to go to fargo in december, play on an internet channel, and have no one actually know we played or what the score was.... for free. lol comical. i question if some of you are actually college graduates.

PantherRob82
December 19th, 2015, 03:18 PM
alcorn will sleep well having played in front of a national audience and received its payout which will be more than all FCS playoff participants combined. I'm sure than performance wont hurt recruiting since they could actually watch the game without having to cut their computer or tablet on and go to espn3.

we should give that up to go to fargo in december, play on an internet channel, and have no one actually know we played or what the score was.... for free. lol comical. i question if some of you are actually college graduates.

Since you don't know about capitalization we could say the same for you.

Also, NDSU's last two games were on ESPN and ESPN2 and I'd be curious to see which game had better ratings.

clenz
December 19th, 2015, 03:22 PM

Also, NDSU's last two games were on ESPN and ESPN2 and I'd be curious to see which game had better ratings.

Let it be known that my viewership numbers for today counted but wouldn't for the NDSU games

RootinFerDukes
December 19th, 2015, 03:23 PM

and even if the celebration bowl has better ratings, you know why? ABC. That would be an apples to pumpkin comparison.

major095
December 19th, 2015, 03:24 PM

I'm in the middle of making tacos for a birthday celebration. since I've explained that can you justify losing money to participate in the fcs playoffs?

you forgot they've also hosted game day in fargo. impressive. you want to see the ratings. i want to see the check. schools and athletic departments run off money.

major095
December 19th, 2015, 03:26 PM
and even if the celebration bowl has better ratings, you know why? ABC. That would be an apples to pumpkin comparison.
your right... one is an apple which you'd take year round, and the other is a pumpkin which you only use one or twice a year.

RootinFerDukes
December 19th, 2015, 03:27 PM
Norfolk State needed 3 FBS games this year to help pay their bills. I bet they could really use that payout.

PantherRob82
December 19th, 2015, 03:27 PM
I'm in the middle of making tacos for a birthday celebration. since I've explained that can you justify losing money to participate in the fcs playoffs?

you forgot they've also hosted game day in fargo. impressive. you want to see the ratings. i want to see the check. schools and athletic departments run off money.

So you can type while making tacos but not capitalize while making critiques about people's education? Got it. xlolx

Even with this payday, I'm sure most of our ADs have bigger budgets. Congrats. We also don't send out basketball teams on road trips of death to pay the bills, doesn't stop you from doing that either.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 19th, 2015, 03:31 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20151219/e51ee106b0e92db8162261e95660648e.jpg Division II National Championship Game

major095
December 19th, 2015, 03:42 PM
So you can type while making tacos but not capitalize while making critiques about people's education? Got it. xlolx

Even with this payday, I'm sure most of our ADs have bigger budgets. Congrats. We also don't send out basketball teams on road trips of death to pay the bills, doesn't stop you from doing that either.

well you know the great state of mississippi doesn't have a sterling reputation in its treatment of african-americans or their institutions. same in alabama where they had to sue the state b/c they systematically would change the funding formula to insure hbcu's didn't get their fair share. so yes your school(s) most likely does have a bigger budget (athletic and general but you likely have no ideas about the whys. so, yes, with absolute certainty your schools budget is bigger even with today's payout.
what I find important enough to do and what I can do are two different things. like i could get personal but i chose not to which is why I made a joke directed at no one in particular. that said, you paid attention to that but still didn't answer my question. why is that? what is the justification for participating in a system that offers no financial reward and often penalizes an institution financially? the pursuit of winning a championship is supposed to make one lose his mind? since you understand my schools budget so well that should have been an easy one for you to expound upon.

clenz
December 19th, 2015, 03:43 PM

I don't think HBCUs want to start comparing financial stability with the likes of NDSU, UNI, JMU, etc...

PantherRob82
December 19th, 2015, 03:49 PM
well you know the great state of mississippi doesn't have a sterling reputation in its treatment of african-americans or their institutions. same in alabama where they had to sue the state b/c they systematically would change the funding formula to insure hbcu's didn't get their fair share. so yes your school(s) most likely does have a bigger budget (athletic and general but you likely have no ideas about the whys. so, yes, with absolute certainty your schools budget is bigger even with today's payout.
what I find important enough to do and what I can do are two different things. like i could get personal but i chose not to which is why I made a joke directed at no one in particular. that said, you paid attention to that but still didn't answer my question. why is that? what is the justification for participating in a system that offers no financial reward and often penalizes an institution financially? the pursuit of winning a championship is supposed to make one lose his mind? since you understand my schools budget so well that should have been an easy one for you to expound upon.

Who's making the tacos?

Wait, there is discrimination against African-Americans? I had NO idea.

Why would you need to get personal? Can't handle conversation?

I didn't realize college football was about money and not championships. Obviously your conferences decided there was no point in trying to compete. Cool. The justification is simple. Some of us choose to compete rather than hide. We find ways to run our departments and schools on proper budgets and compete like the rest of the D-I schools.

major095
December 19th, 2015, 04:09 PM
and to be real for a minute. Understand no one cares about the celebration bowl, but no one cares about the fcs playoffs or the fcs period. you ask an alcornite what college team they follow and they're like to say usm or mississippi state. many people go to our (fcs) institutions b/c they couldn't go to the big state school. that's the truth. you can like it or not like it. i follow the fcs, after all I'm here but i don't know who lost to NDSU last year, or the year before or the year before that (and I watch a little of the games). The most impressive thing that has probably even happened in FCS is not NDSU's playoff runs but app states win oven UM. No one would have cared if they'd beaten your school or mine or any fcs school that day. No one, because in the grand scheme of college football we're in the same boat and that boat's name is nobody.

I live in Clemson, SC. Do you think anyone around here cares about who's winning a FCS playoff game today? I understand the swac and meac's place in the world, but you think the fcs is famous when they're really only internet famous. You can be wisconsin-whitewater and win 100 championships in a row and no one will have ever even heard of you until espn does a story about you. then you sink back into obscurity again. no one knows what they're record was this year of what their former coach did at buffalo this season.

so i'll banter with you because its interesting to me that many on here think they are somehow better than the swac and meac when the truth is we're in the same boat when speaking about football and sports in general. you don't matter and neither do we. in the state of alabama, if you not alabama or auburn no one cares about jax state, uab, south alabama, bama state, bama a&m, tuskegee, north alabama or montavallo. they all might as well be UAH and only play hockey and basketball. this is from someone who goes to the games. I'll drive to greenville to see furman play if they've got an interesting opponent. I hope bama state drills auburn when they play in 2018, but I also know the same amount of people will care after the game as before regardless of outcome. We are the fcs..the best football no one cares about.

Catsfan90
December 19th, 2015, 04:10 PM
I want to watch some football. So guilty. I do feel bad for watching it :(
Yah I'll watch almost any game if its on lol.

clenz
December 19th, 2015, 04:19 PM
Yah I'll watch almost any game if its on lol.

Yup

I've got the BYU/Utah game on my TV and it's been 35-0 for a quarter now and is just the two teams punting at each other

I make it a point to watch as close to all of the bowl games as possible. More difficult now that I don't have cable but will still watch a lot of them

major095
December 19th, 2015, 04:21 PM
Who's making the tacos?

Wait, there is discrimination against African-Americans? I had NO idea.

Why would you need to get personal? Can't handle conversation?

I'm making taco's for my daughters 12th. Yes there is discrimination and I don't think you have any idea of how restricting the budget on an institution for over 100 years affects its trajectory largely because you haven't had to think about it for 2 seconds regarding your school. It was just 2 years ago or so that the governor of mississippi was calling for all the states hbcus be consolidated into one school.

as for personal, i made a joke to no one and you started in on MY use of capitalization (like you make sure you send text right). that was personal, but I abstained from doing the same. but its all good. God loves me though I'm unlovable and I love all he created. would stop and help you even if you were wearing a, "I hate the celebration bowl, alcorn state and all they represent!" t-shirt.

I'm out. they're ready to eat so they can have some cake. enjoy the fcs playoffs!!

I didn't realize college football was about money and not championships. Obviously your conferences decided there wasaff no point in trying to compete. Cool. The justification is simple. Some of us choose to compete rather than hide. We find ways to run our departments and schools on proper budgets and compete like the rest of the D-I schools.

CHIP72
December 19th, 2015, 04:26 PM

The Montana/North Dakota State quarterfinal game had no football game competition last week; it should have higher ratings than Alcorn State/North Carolina A&T.

Friday's Richmond/North Dakota State semifinal, which only had competition from the Division III title game on a lower profile channel, is a better comparison for Alcorn State/North Carolina A&T, which had competition in the latter half of the game with a Division I-A/FBS bowl game on ESPN that included a P5 school.

PantherRob82
December 19th, 2015, 04:37 PM
and to be real for a minute. Understand no one cares about the celebration bowl, but no one cares about the fcs playoffs or the fcs period. you ask an alcornite what college team they follow and they're like to say usm or mississippi state. many people go to our (fcs) institutions b/c they couldn't go to the big state school. that's the truth. you can like it or not like it. i follow the fcs, after all I'm here but i don't know who lost to NDSU last year, or the year before or the year before that (and I watch a little of the games). The most impressive thing that has probably even happened in FCS is not NDSU's playoff runs but app states win oven UM. No one would have cared if they'd beaten your school or mine or any fcs school that day. No one, because in the grand scheme of college football we're in the same boat and that boat's name is nobody.

I live in Clemson, SC. Do you think anyone around here cares about who's winning a FCS playoff game today? I understand the swac and meac's place in the world, but you think the fcs is famous when they're really only internet famous. You can be wisconsin-whitewater and win 100 championships in a row and no one will have ever even heard of you until espn does a story about you. then you sink back into obscurity again. no one knows what they're record was this year of what their former coach did at buffalo this season.

so i'll banter with you because its interesting to me that many on here think they are somehow better than the swac and meac when the truth is we're in the same boat when speaking about football and sports in general. you don't matter and neither do we. in the state of alabama, if you not alabama or auburn no one cares about jax state, uab, south alabama, bama state, bama a&m, tuskegee, north alabama or montavallo. they all might as well be UAH and only play hockey and basketball. this is from someone who goes to the games. I'll drive to greenville to see furman play if they've got an interesting opponent. I hope bama state drills auburn when they play in 2018, but I also know the same amount of people will care after the game as before regardless of outcome. We are the fcs..the best football no one cares about.

Now we're having a different conversation. You're right, most people don't care about FCS football. We think we are better than the MEAC and SWAC on the field, not specifically in terms of who cares about us.

PantherRob82
December 19th, 2015, 04:39 PM
To be honest, I'd love to attend some classics and experience some HBCU football. I don't think anyone here is hating on the passion or tradition.

PantherRob82
December 19th, 2015, 04:41 PM
as for personal, i made a joke to no one and you started in on MY use of capitalization (like you make sure you send text right). that was personal, but I abstained from doing the same. but its all good. God loves me though I'm unlovable and I love all he created. would stop and help you even if you were wearing a, "I hate the celebration bowl, alcorn state and all they represent!" t-shirt.
It's the internet, how could I not give you a hard time for calling people uneducated and then not using any capitalization. ;)

Enjoy your daughter's birthday. That's the real life stuff that matters. :D

Catsfan90
December 19th, 2015, 04:44 PM
Yup

I've got the BYU/Utah game on my TV and it's been 35-0 for a quarter now and is just the two teams punting at each other

I make it a point to watch as close to all of the bowl games as possible. More difficult now that I don't have cable but will still watch a lot of them
Same. I'll watch even the lower level games. I just like to watch football. I actually watched a few high school games this year. They are a lot of fun.

AggieManiac704
December 19th, 2015, 04:54 PM
Good competitive game with some exciting plays. Enjoyed it and glad I watched. Congrats to NC A&T!

Greatly appreciated

AggieManiac704
December 19th, 2015, 04:59 PM

you're comparing finances/exposure to competition/championships.....i don't think thats a fair comparison.The money is good. The game, good. I'd still rather us have an autobid..AND this game for whoever is left.

Big Dawg
December 19th, 2015, 05:22 PM
To be honest, I'd love to attend some classics and experience some HBCU football. I don't think anyone here is hating on the passion or tradition.

It honestly feels like it...every time the MEAC and SWAC is mentioned on this board.

And it's absolutely frustrating...especially for someone like me who was completely for participating in the playoffs. But that feeling has faded. What's the point of trying to compete with "peers" who hate you and have no respect for the history, tradition, and passion that ours fans have? No one here likes to contribute to MEAC and SWAC dialogue unless it's to criticize.

We post updates from marquee games...things that we wish we could share with you all. Thinking that maybe you all would enjoy something associated with FCS...but of course that never happens. I've seen it for over a decade.

It sucks, but it is what it is.

PantherRob82
December 19th, 2015, 05:29 PM
It honestly feels like it...every time the MEAC and SWAC is mentioned on this board.

And it's absolutely frustrating...especially for someone like me who was completely for participating in the playoffs. But that feeling has faded. What's the point of trying to compete with "peers" who hate you and have no respect for the history, tradition, and passion that ours fans have? No one here likes to contribute to MEAC and SWAC dialogue unless it's to criticize.

We post updates from marquee games...things that we wish we could share with you all. Thinking that maybe you all would enjoy something associated with FCS...but of course that never happens. I've seen it for over a decade.

Find me one post where anyone hates on the passion or tradition.

In the stands attendance? Yes
On field performance? yes
Officiating? yes

I'll be honest, for me it's hard to be too interested in what either conference does because they are so segregated from the rest of FCS. I feel the same way about the Ivies. I usually had a decent idea on what is going on with the MEAC since you guys played in the playoffs, but you guys might as well be a different subdivision because other than name you don't have anything to do with us.

I'd love to see more MEAC vs SoCon, Big South, CAA, OVC games. I'd love to see the SWAC play more SoCon, OVC, SLC games. I don't see either of those happening though.

I think a lot of times it's assumed to be a racial thing, but it really isn't. I ignore the Ivy on an equal level and if they played a bowl game against someone I'd probably have a similar level of disinterest in it.

I didn't watch the game today because I was working, but I may have if I was free. Hard to say.

KPSUL
December 19th, 2015, 05:40 PM

I can understand why you are frustrated, but I hope you keep posting! I'd hate to lose the perspectives of the MEAC and SWAC fans/Alumni who stay contributing members of AGS.

Old Cat Fan
December 19th, 2015, 05:50 PM

Post of the year: I'm sick and tired of the constant postings of whats good for the FCS or people bashing facilities or crowd attendance and unless you have a sold out stadium with fans making a bunch of noise your school isn't representing the FCS. When in realty no one outside of our little FCS forum here gives a rats ass. Let me repeat NO ONE CARES. it doesn't matter.

WestCoastAggie
December 19th, 2015, 06:29 PM
The game atmosphere was fantastic. The game was way more entertaining then i ever imagined. the drama was high and the Football presentation outweighed the band portion and both bands were great. Overall, we represented FCS Football well.

WestCoastAggie
December 19th, 2015, 06:33 PM

Thanks. I really think A&T will be a top 10 FCS team next Fall with Carter under center and Cohen playing for the Peyton Award and to be drafted.

catamount man
December 19th, 2015, 06:34 PM
It was a great game. That #28 from A&T is unreal. 295 yards rushing?! Sweet!

PantherRob82
December 19th, 2015, 06:54 PM
Thanks. I really think A&T will be a top 10 FCS team next Fall with Carter under center and Cohen playing for the Peyton Award and to be drafted.

What's your non conference schedule like?

Lehigh Football Nation
December 19th, 2015, 06:56 PM
The Celebration Bowl appears to have been an entertaining exhibition game between a MEAC team and a SWAC team. But that's what it is: an exhibition. I think what annoys people is that there is any implication that the results of this game has any bearing on the FCSNCG. It doesn't. And I'm not seeing how the CB being on ABC would help viewership of the FCS playoffs, or vice versa.

It's nothing against NCAT, Alcorn or the bowl. It's fine that the game is happening. The CB features a few great players. The football game appeared to be a good game. And the schools, apparently, are getting paid, which is really the ultimate goal of the CB anyway, although it might be wise to wait to see the numbers on the check and the check to clear first. All of this is fine. But spare us any talk of this game affecting the FCS playoffs in any way, or God Forbid having any other FCS "bowl" game exhibitions springing up.

DFW HOYA
December 19th, 2015, 07:06 PM
It's nothing against NCAT, Alcorn or the bowl. It's fine that the game is happening. The CB features a few great players. The football game appeared to be a good game. And the schools, apparently, are getting paid, which is really the ultimate goal of the CB anyway, although it might be wise to wait to see the numbers on the check and the check to clear first. All of this is fine. But spare us any talk of this game affecting the FCS playoffs in any way, or God Forbid having any other FCS "bowl" game exhibitions springing up.

I think the "bowl" scenarios will grow for teams and leagues who see the playoffs as a money-losing trip before friends and family that favors certain schools that bid on games instead of something more than that. If one or two more conferences check out of the playoff process, others will begin to ask what the utility of the playoff structure will be.

clenz
December 19th, 2015, 07:09 PM
I think the "bowl" scenarios will grow for teams and leagues who see the playoffs as a money-losing trip before friends and family that favors certain schools that bid on games instead of something more than that. If one or two more conferences check out of the playoff process, others will begin to ask what the utility of the playoff structure will be.

Who else is going to check out? The Patriot? Didn't they just fight 20 years over a bid? The Pioneer?

It's not going to be conferences that "matter" come playoff time

WestCoastAggie
December 19th, 2015, 07:11 PM
What's your non conference schedule like?

We are looking for one more game. We had Tulsa and Elon but Kent State came calling so we moved that one back until 2017.

PantherRob82
December 19th, 2015, 07:28 PM

Bids rarely come into play outside of the first round.

- - - Updated - - -

We are looking for one more game. We had Tulsa and Elon but Kent State came calling so we moved that one back until 2017.
So currently Tulsa and Kent State?

DFW HOYA
December 19th, 2015, 07:33 PM
Who else is going to check out? The Patriot? Didn't they just fight 20 years over a bid? The Pioneer?

The Patriot-6 is all-in for the playoffs. Given the league's built-in disparity, Georgetown will never see the playoffs so it's of no significance.

There has been some early chatter about a warm weather bowl game between the Ivy champion and a lower level I-A team. A game in New Orleans or Tampa could probably get some push on ESPN or Fox Sports. It would not involve the PFL.

I also think that, in the right situation, a Texas-centric bowl game would be of interest to some in Southland circles.

PantherRob82
December 19th, 2015, 07:34 PM
The Patriot-6 is all-in for the playoffs. Given the league's built-in disparity, Georgetown will never see the playoffs so it's of no significance.

There has been some early chatter about a warm weather bowl game between the Ivy champion and a lower level I-A team. A game in New Orleans or Tampa could probably get some push on ESPN or Fox Sports. It would not involve the PFL.

I also think that, in the right situation, a Texas-centric bowl game would be of interest to some in Southland circles.

Why would an FBS team want to play an Ivy school?

DFW HOYA
December 19th, 2015, 07:34 PM
Why would an FBS team want to play an Ivy school?

Money.

PantherRob82
December 19th, 2015, 07:36 PM
Money.

That they can get from another bowl. This whole idea is convoluted.

"Hey, you suck enough, want to play the Ivy champ?"

DFW HOYA
December 19th, 2015, 07:39 PM
That they can get from another bowl. This whole idea is convoluted.

"Hey, you suck enough, want to play the Ivy champ?"

It'a about money, not about who you play. The Boca Raton Bowl pays $400,000. Temple doesn't care if the opponent is Toledo or Dartmouth, it's $400,000.

ST_Lawson
December 19th, 2015, 07:42 PM

We still need another game. Maybe we'll see you in Macomb next year. We're still MVFC, but we're easier than the Bison ;)

melloware13
December 19th, 2015, 07:42 PM

Might want to knock out the NM bowl and Military bowl, as they involve teams playing on their home field (so if they can't put butts in the seats, there's an issue)

Lehigh Football Nation
December 19th, 2015, 07:53 PM
It'a about money, not about who you play. The Boca Raton Bowl pays $400,000. Temple doesn't care if the opponent is Toledo or Dartmouth, it's $400,000.

Division I Bowls, ladies and gentlemen, in four sentences.

Checks, not championships.

dgtw
December 19th, 2015, 08:06 PM

He's going to take a good lead on me over the next week is think but I still think I take it in the end

The Birmingham Bowl has Auburn and Memphis so you are good there.

DFW HOYA
December 19th, 2015, 08:18 PM
The bowl system isn't perfect, but the playoff system isn't either. There are 40 schools with almost no chance to make the playoffs anytime in the next 20 years.

clenz
December 19th, 2015, 08:21 PM
The bowl system isn't perfect, but the playoff system isn't either. There are 40 schools with almost no chance to make the playoffs anytime in the next 20 years.
Get better

- - - Updated - - -

The Birmingham Bowl has Auburn and Memphis so you are good there.

There's no way I lose this bet. :D

NoDak 4 Ever
December 19th, 2015, 08:27 PM
I stated this earlier that my whole objection was that, to a network television audience, they chose to represent this game as THE game in FCS, completely ignoring that there is an actual national championship game that was being set up elsewhere.

That is insulting.

RootinFerDukes
December 19th, 2015, 08:31 PM
The Montana/North Dakota State quarterfinal game had no football game competition last week; it should have higher ratings than Alcorn State/North Carolina A&T.

Friday's Richmond/North Dakota State semifinal, which only had competition from the Division III title game on a lower profile channel, is a better comparison for Alcorn State/North Carolina A&T, which had competition in the latter half of the game with a Division I-A/FBS bowl game on ESPN that included a P5 school.

A game on abc when it is the first and only bowl game on for 2/3 of its duration is in no way comparable to any Fcs playoff game. It'll have the highest ratings, and 98% of that is due to the station it is on.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 19th, 2015, 08:36 PM

Ohh yes we do. No way in hell would a 10 win Temple team, or any FBS team, wants to be "relegated" to playing a FCS team.

The money is split among conference members. So the $400,000 in the grand scheme of things means nothing. Temple will received a piece of Houston's Peach Bowl payout....

clenz
December 19th, 2015, 08:43 PM
How many tickets are both schools FORCED to buy? That will eat up much of that 400,000 if they don't sell almost all of them.

Plus travel expenses.

That 400K doesn't go nearly as far as you think it does.

Catsfan90
December 19th, 2015, 08:53 PM
Cure bowl.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20151220/39dd33d3f1f56266d59513edc9dd1255.jpg

KnightoftheRedFlash
December 19th, 2015, 09:04 PM

OK?

Face it, not every team gets in the playoffs at the FBS or FCS level. Thus, the bowl games are a nice consolation prize. St. Francis got nothing for a winning season. A FBS team would have a bowl game providing exposure and extra practices.

ASU33
December 19th, 2015, 10:10 PM
Why does EVERY HBCU post on this board gets filled with a bunch of salty a$$ posts. We get it! You hate the fact that HBCU football draws big crowds and media attention. I see why there's fewer and fewer HBCU alums posting on here. No matter what we post here the butthurt posts soon follow.

tigonian02
December 19th, 2015, 10:27 PM

Preach!

RootinFerDukes
December 19th, 2015, 10:29 PM
Cure bowl.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20151220/39dd33d3f1f56266d59513edc9dd1255.jpg

That's an obvious step up in atmosphere for ga state. They usually only see 1/4 that many fans at their home games.

tigonian02
December 19th, 2015, 10:42 PM
1/4 is being generous.

WestCoastAggie
December 19th, 2015, 11:54 PM
We still need another game. Maybe we'll see you in Macomb next year. We're still MVFC, but we're easier than the Bison ;)

Perhaps. Our AD is looking for a home game most likely. We like to have 5-6 home games per season.

Making 3 trips to the Midwest in one year just doesn't make €ents.

Bisonoline
December 20th, 2015, 12:00 AM
How many tickets are both schools FORCED to buy? That will eat up much of that 400,000 if they don't sell almost all of them.

Plus travel expenses.

That 400K doesn't go nearly as far as you think it does.

Now the ticket requirement is negotiated on many of the lesser bowls. Plus if there is a short fall the conferences pick up the tab on it. Thats one of the reasons all the bowl money goes in a conference kitty and dispursed after the bills are paid.

CHIP72
December 20th, 2015, 06:12 AM

You forgot eyeballs. Almost all of the bowl games will draw larger TV audiences than any Division I-AA/FCS playoff game, and the ones that don't will fail to do so because they are played opposite NFL games, other bowl games, or are played at inconvenient times. By contrast, the only FCS games that draw solid TV audiences are the ones played on higher profile networks (i.e. ESPN or ESPN2) when there is a lack of competition from other games. FCS games that don't meet both of those criteria don't draw particularly large TV audiences.

CHIP72
December 20th, 2015, 06:20 AM
A game on abc when it is the first and only bowl game on for 2/3 of its duration is in no way comparable to any Fcs playoff game. It'll have the highest ratings, and 98% of that is due to the station it is on.

Frame of reference - back on 12/5, the Temple/Houston AAC championship game on ABC drew 2.45 million TV viewers. The Texas/Baylor game played at the same time (12 PM ET kickoff) on ESPN drew almost 4 million TV viewers. (It should be noted that the Temple/Houston game drew a larger TV audience than any Division I-AA/FCS game in recent history, despite the fact it was played at the same time as a Big 12 game involving the team with probably the largest fanbase in the Big 12.) A game that partially overlaps a Division I-A/FBS game faces much greater competition during the overlap period, even if the FCS game is on over-the-air TV, than a Division I-AA/FCS game played mostly at the same time as a Division III game on a lower profile TV channel.

CHIP72
December 20th, 2015, 06:31 AM
I stated this earlier that my whole objection was that, to a network television audience, they chose to represent this game as THE game in FCS, completely ignoring that there is an actual national championship game that was being set up elsewhere.

That is insulting.

I agree it is somewhat ridiculous that ESPN focused more attention on the MEAC/SWAC championship game (which only occurred because the MEAC and SWAC have not been overly competitive in the Division I-AA/FCS playoffs in recent years) than it does on the Division I-AA/FCS playoffs (or specifically the semifinals). On the other hand, as I've stated elsewhere and major095 pointed out a few pages ago in this thread, ESPN and most college football fans view Division I-AA/FCS football (and for that matter Division II, Division III, and NAIA football) as the dwarf population of college football. Frankly, to most college football fans out there, it doesn't matter who the best team in FCS football is; that team is still only the tallest dwarf and can be easily overlooked. People only pay attention to the dwarfs when they slay a giant, and even then the important thing is the size of the giant. As major095 noted up-thread, Appalachian State's victory over Michigan was a much bigger victory for Appy State and all of FCS football than any of Appy State's three straight national championships between 2005 and 2007 because Michigan is one of the true giants and true blue bloods of FBS football. Most people didn't pay attention to or were even aware of any of Appy State's three championship game wins, but they did pay attention to and were definitely aware of Appy State's win over Michigan.

CHIP72
December 20th, 2015, 06:43 AM
One more thought on the Celebration Bowl - assuming the HBCU (MEAC vs SWAC) championship game continues to be televised on over-the-air TV or at least on ESPN/ESPN2 in a time slot with no competition during part of the time slot over the next few years, the MEAC and SWAC IMO made a good decision to pull out of the Division I-AA/FCS playoffs. Playing a HBCU championship game will give the schools involved much, much greater exposure than playing in the FCS playoffs except maybe if they would have been able to make the national championship game.

ASU33
December 20th, 2015, 07:02 AM
One more thought on the Celebration Bowl - assuming the HBCU (MEAC vs SWAC) championship game continues to be televised on over-the-air TV or at least on ESPN/ESPN2 in a time slot with no competition during part of the time slot over the next few years, the MEAC and SWAC IMO made a good decision to pull out of the Division I-AA/FCS playoffs. Playing a HBCU championship game will give the schools involved much, much greater exposure than playing in the FCS playoffs except maybe if they would have been able to make the national championship game.

ESPN hosts the bowl so it will definitely be on one if its family of networks. ABC is in place for at least the next 2 if I'm remembering correctly.

CHIP72
December 20th, 2015, 07:37 AM
ESPN hosts the bowl so it will definitely be on one if its family of networks. ABC is in place for at least the next 2 if I'm remembering correctly.

Theoretically, the HBCU championship game could get relegated to ESPNU or ESPNews if ESPN hosts/owns it, but I think/agree that is unlikely.

One other slightly related thought about the HBCU football I've had over the last week - the color barrier breakdown in southern Division I-A/FBS football is the thing that probably hurt HBCU football in terms of quality and competitiveness more than any other single factor. It really is comparable to the death of Negro League baseball that occurred between 1947 and about 1960 after Major League Baseball eliminated the color barrier. Before about the mid-to-late 1970s, the better HBCU football teams probably could have been competitive with most college teams in the country, especially in the South. Look at all the great NFL players who came from HBCU programs from the 1950s to the mid/late 1970s, including Walter Payton, Buck Buchanan, Mel Blount, Art Shell, and Deacon Jones among many, many others. When the southern major college football programs started grabbing much of the top black talent in the South however, it really undermined the HBCUs. Sure, there have been some great players from HBCUs since the late 1970s - guys like Jerry Rice, Michael Strahan, and Aeneas Williams obviously were great college and NFL players - but the talent level isn't the same.

Sam Cunningham can be blamed for that, though I'm sure he's probably smiling somewhere too. (http://articles.latimes.com/2000/aug/30/sports/sp-12483)

AshevilleApp2
December 20th, 2015, 07:55 AM
Theoretically, the HBCU championship game could get relegated to ESPNU or ESPNews if ESPN hosts/owns it, but I think/agree that is unlikely.

One other slightly related thought about the HBCU football I've had over the last week - the color barrier breakdown in southern Division I-A/FBS football is the thing that probably hurt HBCU football in terms of quality and competitiveness more than any other single factor. It really is comparable to the death of Negro League baseball that occurred between 1947 and about 1960 after Major League Baseball eliminated the color barrier. Before about the mid-to-late 1970s, the better HBCU football teams probably could have been competitive with most college teams in the country, especially in the South. Look at all the great NFL players who came from HBCU programs from the 1950s to the mid/late 1970s, including Walter Payton, Buck Buchanan, Mel Blount, Art Shell, and Deacon Jones among many, many others. When the southern major college football programs started grabbing much of the top black talent in the South however, it really undermined the HBCUs. Sure, there have been some great players from HBCUs since the late 1970s - guys like Jerry Rice, Michael Strahan, and Aeneas Williams obviously were great college and NFL players - but the talent level isn't the same.

Sam Cunningham can be blamed for that, though I'm sure he's probably smiling somewhere too. (http://articles.latimes.com/2000/aug/30/sports/sp-12483)

I think it was HBO that was showing a documentary called "Breaking the Huddle" a couple of years back, that discussed this pretty well. Worth seeing if you get a chance.

RootinFerDukes
December 20th, 2015, 08:44 AM
Theoretically, the HBCU championship game could get relegated to ESPNU or ESPNews if ESPN hosts/owns it, but I think/agree that is unlikely. That I can remember from at least the past two or three years, not a single ESPN affiliated bowl game has been relegated to a network lower than ESPN2. They could put a game on ESPNews, ESPNU or ESPN Classic, but they have not shown that they are willing to do that so far though.

RootinFerDukes
December 20th, 2015, 08:49 AM
Frame of reference - back on 12/5, the Temple/Houston AAC championship game on ABC drew 2.45 million TV viewers. The Texas/Baylor game played at the same time (12 PM ET kickoff) on ESPN drew almost 4 million TV viewers. (It should be noted that the Temple/Houston game drew a larger TV audience than any Division I-AA/FCS game in recent history, despite the fact it was played at the same time as a Big 12 game involving the team with probably the largest fanbase in the Big 12.) A game that partially overlaps a Division I-A/FBS game faces much greater competition during the overlap period, even if the FCS game is on over-the-air TV, than a Division I-AA/FCS game played mostly at the same time as a Division III game on a lower profile TV channel.

I understand your point, but I don't understand how that relates to the fact that the CB was on ABC for roughly 2/3 of its duration with no sports competition and was the first bowl game of the season for TV networks. I don't fully understand exactly how TV ratings are measured and if they're truly even accurate, but I would think that even if a person were to have watched for any part of the first 2/3 of the broadcast and then immediately changed to the next FBS bowl that started 2.5 hours later, they would still be counting that viewer in the shows ratings regardless of whether they watched in its entirety.
I thought if a viewer watches for about 30 or 60 seconds, it "counts" for a rating. Then there's the nielsen viewers who they collect data on and that's supposed to represent all viewership nationwide?

ST_Lawson
December 20th, 2015, 09:11 AM
Perhaps. Our AD is looking for a home game most likely. We like to have 5-6 home games per season.

Making 3 trips to the Midwest in one year just doesn't make €ents.

Fair enough.

We're sitting at 4 home games (conference games) so far, so we're really looking for a non-conference home game at this point.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 20th, 2015, 09:45 AM
The Celebration Bowl has the same function as any other bowl game: live niche programming. Not saying that's bad or good, but let's not pretend it's anything more than what it is. Saying that it will be on ABC forever is just foolish. ESPN controls the bowl; they can demote it to ESPNU, ESPN3 whenever they like. Not saying they will, but it's not in the MEAC or SWAC's control.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 20th, 2015, 10:08 AM
The Celebration Bowl has the same function as any other bowl game: live niche programming. Not saying that's bad or good, but let's not pretend it's anything more than what it is. Saying that it will be on ABC forever is just foolish. ESPN controls the bowl; they can demote it to ESPNU, ESPN3 whenever they like. Not saying they will, but it's not in the MEAC or SWAC's control.

Right. What I was hoping was for them to say definitively that this game was for money and the reason it exists is so these conferences could segregate themselves from the rest of FCS which had their own playoff.

16 of the 20 teams in the FCS playoff could have curbstomped either of these teams. Just sayin. This is a football board right?

Bloodhound
December 20th, 2015, 10:16 AM
Right. What I was hoping was for them to say definitively that this game was for money and the reason it exists is so these conferences could segregate themselves from the rest of FCS which had their own playoff.

16 of the 20 teams in the FCS playoff could have curbstomped either of these teams. Just sayin. This is a football board right?

Absolutely right. It really was some very bad football, and ESPN/ABC should be embarrassed putting that on the air and calling it a bowl game. Same comment goes for Cure Bowl and a few others from yesterday and no doubt yet-to-be-played bowls. 6-6 should not be rewarded, and neither should a decision to segregate yourselves for money.

clenz
December 20th, 2015, 10:18 AM
The level of play was low, but it was mostly entertaining to watch

Panther88
December 20th, 2015, 10:26 AM

Did 16 of the 20 teams in the fcs tournament, not playoff smh, play either of the teams? How do you know if "16 of the 20 teams in the fcs playoff could have curbstomped either of these teams?" I'm sure you're spot on like being spot on w/ nfl Carolina panthers being undefeated this fall. :D Crystal ball or pure emotionaism? You choose.

Why don't you pretend to be more informed and look @ the outward structuring and posturing of the division-I football P5/non-P5/bowl game invitees/THE ACTUAL college football playoff scenarios w/ ou/clemson-mich st/alabama. There you will find your answers to the questions you may have, like, why is university of missouri sitting @ home while other division-I schools are "bowling" this season. While you're at it google "college playoff" and read vehemently what is returned to you in the first 5 pages lol. Division I "fcs" does NOT exist to mainstream america; it only exists to you keyboard "thumpers" and obviously there are only 5K-7K of you total in avg who attend your precious tournament games. What has changed recently, in terms of notoriety for "fcs" ball, besides Coastal Carolina bolting the "fcs" for FBS? :D When will NDSU bolt the "fcs" for FBS stardom? :D This is a football board, right? :D

clenz
December 20th, 2015, 10:33 AM
Did 16 of the 20 teams in the fcs tournament, not playoff smh, play either of the teams? How do you know if "16 of the 20 teams in the fcs playoff could have curbstomped either of these teams?" I'm sure you're spot on like being spot on w/ nfl Carolina panthers being undefeated this fall. :D Crystal ball or pure emotionaism? You choose.

Why don't you pretend to be more informed and look @ the outward structuring and posturing of the division-I football P5/non-P5/bowl game invitees/THE ACTUAL college football playoff scenarios w/ ou/clemson-mich st/alabama. There you will find your answers to the questions you may have, like, why is university of missouri sitting @ home while other division-I schools are "bowling" this season. While you're at it google "college playoff" and read vehemently what is returned to you in the first 5 pages lol. Division I "fcs" does NOT exist to mainstream america; it only exists to you keyboard "thumpers" and obviously there are only 5K-7K of you total in avg who attend your precious tournament games. What has changed recently, in terms of notoriety for "fcs" ball, besides Coastal Carolina bolting the "fcs" for FBS? :D When will NDSU bolt the "fcs" for FBS stardom? :D This is a football board, right? :D

FWIW
There's a lot....and I do mean a lot...of proof to the fact the MEAC and SWAC not being able to compete with playoff teams

WileECoyote06
December 20th, 2015, 10:37 AM
The level of play was low, but it was mostly entertaining to watch

And honestly, that's all ESPN wanted. I don't think any fan casual or hardcore would pretend that this is P5 or NFL level talent or skill.

It was the #2 trending topic in the US on twitter, followed by various school designations. I think viewership will be solidly in the 2-3 million range; but it may be even higher.

Panther88
December 20th, 2015, 10:43 AM

"WUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT??????????????" And what was the announced attendance of the division-I "fcs" tournament... lol ? What was that? I seem not to remember. :(

L....M.....A.....O!!!!!!!

Panther88
December 20th, 2015, 10:46 AM
FWIW
There's a lot....and I do mean a lot...of proof to the fact the MEAC and SWAC not being able to compete with playoff teams

And you came to this conclusion after watching the MEAC champion and the SWAC champion play exactly HOW many of the 20 tournament participants? Will you substantiate your position by pointing to recent historical records between conference members which have absolutely no baring on fall 2015? lol Why stop w/ recent history? Every SINGLE one of your division-I "fcs" lol level post-season awards are named after SWAC legends who, during their time, would have stomped your then unkown squads - and that's pretty factual :D . Your history is obscure lol and mainstream america does not desire to familiarize itself w/ your product. Ask the avg american fan who ou/university of alabama are. Ask the avg fan have they ever heard of your school lol. Sit down while receiving their response. It may be shocking to you. lol

clenz
December 20th, 2015, 10:53 AM
And you came to this conclusion after watching the MEAC champion and the SWAC champion play exactly HOW many of the 20 tournament participants?

Do you know how mentally retarded you sound? lol And there are others following you w/ those ridiculously superfluous comments. Did you guys actually graduate your "college?" lol xsmhx

I....um....came to no conclusion. I don't know what you're talking about

Thanks for calling me retarded though. Sure shows great education on your part.

I don't know how many of this years playoff teams those two would have beaten.

I do know the SWAC never won a playoff game and the MEAC went 0 for 20 something between 1999 and 2014

kdinva
December 20th, 2015, 11:00 AM

FWIW; from the camera angles I saw, I would have guessed about 24,000........

RootinFerDukes
December 20th, 2015, 11:06 AM
FWIW; from the camera angles I saw, I would have guessed about 24,000........
Yep. I would agree there. The announced attendance may say almost 50%, but the actual butts in seats from camera angles shown as at best 1/3 full. That would put it in the 20-25k range.
However, that's still really good. I just can't take the reported attendance numbers seriously. There's so much inflation factors in them that you really have to take it with a grain of salt and let your eyes do the talking.

major095
December 20th, 2015, 11:46 AM
And honestly, that's all ESPN wanted. I don't think any fan casual or hardcore would pretend that this is P5 or NFL level talent or skill.

It was the #2 trending topic in the US on twitter, followed by various school designations. I think viewership will be solidly in the 2-3 million range; but it may be even higher.

I don't really watch soccer or the wnba b/c its boring despite the fact they are the most talented and skilled athletes in their sports. It has always been about entertainment.

The conversation that should be happening on this board should be about the financial unfairness in the current playoff system. You want hbcus to participate in the playoffs? make it potentially more financially lucrative than the deal they've gotten.

you should be saying why do the swac and meac get a million dollar payout and the ncaa is robbing the rest of us blind? then demand change to the playoff structure. swac posters have heard a lot of talk about many in the meac not being happy but if they had wanted out I think another league would jump at the chance if offered particularly if they often get slighted at playoff time.

by the way how is it ok that teams get to buy..er bid to host playoff games? doesn't that system inherently favor schools with large enrollments and budgets? how are schools in the swac and meac expected to always go on the road and do well in the playoffs. oh well, if you want a game with us call the alcorn AD and arrange a trip to lorman, ms. we will be happy to host the 1st game of a home and home series.

PantherRob82
December 20th, 2015, 11:48 AM
I don't really watch soccer or the wnba b/c its boring despite the fact they are the most talented and skilled athletes in their sports. It has always been about entertainment.

The conversation that should be happening on this board should be about the financial unfairness in the current playoff system. You want hbcus to participate in the playoffs? make it potentially more financially lucrative than the deal they've gotten.

you should be saying why do the swac and meac get a million dollar payout and the ncaa is robbing the rest of us blind? then demand change to the playoff structure. swac posters have heard a lot of talk about many in the meac not being happy but if they had wanted out I think another league would jump at the chance if offered particularly if they often get slighted at playoff time.

by the way how is it ok that teams get to buy..er bid to host playoff games? doesn't that system inherently favor schools with large enrollments and budgets? how are schools in the swac and meac expected to always go on the road and do well in the playoffs. oh well, if you want a game with us call the alcorn AD and arrange a trip to lorman, ms. we will be happy to host the 1st game of a home and home series.

Only the first round is really based on bids. The rest is seeding unless both seeds are gone.

centennial
December 20th, 2015, 11:49 AM

NCAA takes most of the playoff money to finance the travel. Also, they aren't running a charity. You are a D1 school, you don't need handouts to play in a tournament. Stay with your bowl game if you have demands.

Panther88
December 20th, 2015, 01:10 PM
IDWTSAS lol

Why is this being discussed here? Isn't it obvious that the MEAC & SWAC confs are not division-1 "fcs?"

WileECoyote06
December 20th, 2015, 02:07 PM

Did you mean to quote me?

Sidebar: Naw, we aren't coming to the Reservation first. We know how yall left A&T high and dry ten years ago.xsmiley_wix

Big Dawg
December 20th, 2015, 02:39 PM
Find me one post where anyone hates on the passion or tradition.

In the stands attendance? Yes
On field performance? yes
Officiating? yes

I'll be honest, for me it's hard to be too interested in what either conference does because they are so segregated from the rest of FCS. I feel the same way about the Ivies. I usually had a decent idea on what is going on with the MEAC since you guys played in the playoffs, but you guys might as well be a different subdivision because other than name you don't have anything to do with us.

I'd love to see more MEAC vs SoCon, Big South, CAA, OVC games. I'd love to see the SWAC play more SoCon, OVC, SLC games. I don't see either of those happening though.

I think a lot of times it's assumed to be a racial thing, but it really isn't. I ignore the Ivy on an equal level and if they played a bowl game against someone I'd probably have a similar level of disinterest in it.

I didn't watch the game today because I was working, but I may have if I was free. Hard to say.

I've never understood why people say we've completely segregated ourselves from FCS. We play OOC games against other conferences.

Hampton took Richmond to the wire this season. They played William & Mary. Norfolk State plays Liberty. FAMU and SCSU play Coastal Carolina. SCSU plays Furman. NCA&T plays Elon routinely....the list goes on.

PantherRob82
December 20th, 2015, 03:02 PM
I've never understood why people say we've completely segregated ourselves from FCS. We play OOC games against other conferences.

Hampton took Richmond to the wire this season. They played William & Mary. Norfolk State plays Liberty. FAMU and SCSU play Coastal Carolina. SCSU plays Furman. NCA&T plays Elon routinely....the list goes on.

A rough look shows the SWAC scheduled 8 FBS schools, 2 MEAC school, 1 OVC school (twice), 1 Big South school, 6 Non-DI school.
The MEAC did much better with 14 FBS, 2 SWAC, 4 CAA, 2 Big South, 1 MVFC, 1 OVC, 1 SoCon, 6 Non D1 schools

So the SWAC played 5 games against non-FBS/MEAC/NonDI opponents. The MEAC played 9 against non-FBS/SWAC/SubDI.

By comparison:
CAA: 22
MVFC:19
SoCon: 18
Southland: 3 (and we railed on them as well)

number1
December 20th, 2015, 03:49 PM
Amazing how they pretty much want to exclude us from being FCS and not ranking our teams in their self-generated polls, but get mad because the announcers at our bowl game don't mention their teams. lol

NoDak 4 Ever
December 20th, 2015, 03:58 PM

All of this.

- - - Updated - - -

]Amazing how they pretty much want to exclude us[/B] from being FCS and not ranking our teams in their self-generated polls, but get mad because the announcers at our bowl game don't mention their teams. lol

I don't think you understand who is excluding whom.

number1
December 20th, 2015, 04:03 PM

It was kind of a dumb bet because a lot of the lower tier bowl games are in small stadiums. Everyone knows 35,000 in a small stadium looks more packed than 35,000 in a huge dome.

number1
December 20th, 2015, 04:05 PM
All of this.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean y'all were the ones on here refusing to rank SWAC and MEAC teams in your poll because we chose to pursue the bowl game, why should the other FCS teams be mentioned?

clenz
December 20th, 2015, 04:08 PM
I also don't rank the Ivy...

There goes that theory

NoDak 4 Ever
December 20th, 2015, 04:10 PM

There goes that theory

Hell I ranked a couple of Ivies and NCAT because there was just nobody that wanted to win consistently down the stretch.

They aren't ranked because of bias, they are ranked because they aren't all that good.

clenz
December 20th, 2015, 04:18 PM
Hell I ranked a couple of Ivies and NCAT because there was just nobody that wanted to win consistently down the stretch.

They aren't ranked because of bias, they are ranked because they aren't all that good.

To be completely honest I ranked 2 MEAC teams and an Ivy one some point during the season for he same reason

I, in general, don't rank non playoff conferences.

Doesn't matter if their black or white

number1
December 20th, 2015, 05:28 PM
To be completely honest I ranked 2 MEAC teams and an Ivy one some point during the season for he same reason

I, in general, don't rank non playoff conferences.

Doesn't matter if their black or white

When did I say it was because of race? I clearly said due to us choosing the bowl game over the playoffs, you were the one that brought race into the discussion.

- - - Updated - - -

There goes that theory
And isn't that because they don't participate in the playoffs? That actually supports my theory of you being biased against non-playoff participants.

clenz
December 20th, 2015, 05:34 PM
When did I say it was because of race? I clearly said due to us choosing the bowl game over the playoffs, you were the one that brought race into the discussion.

- - - Updated - - -

And isn't that because they don't participate in the playoffs? That actually supports my theory of you being biased against non-playoff participants.

It's not bias

It's that I rank playoff conferences. It's not that I would have them ranked and then go "nah, **** them"and then move them out

They are just a complete non starter. There is zero bias in that

Good try though

BluBengal07
December 20th, 2015, 06:46 PM
not sure it was already posted.
more FCS bowls to come.

Celebration Bowl 35,528

New Mexico Bowl - 30,289 ( played in their home stadium )

Camellia bowl - 21,395

LAS VEGAS BOWL-42,213

CURE BOWL-18,536

ORLEANS BOWL-32,847

CHIP72
December 20th, 2015, 07:07 PM

It seems pretty obvious to me:

*Non-HBCU posters (or really MVFC posters) on here - excluding better SWAC and MEAC teams from discussion about better FCS teams.
*ESPN/national media - largely excluding discussion or publicity about FCS football (including MVFC football) outside of the Celebration Bowl/HBCU championship game.

GAD
December 20th, 2015, 08:15 PM
Great job by both teams xbowx
Great job by ESPN 2 hours of pregame coverage:D
Great job by ABC first class production of the gamexthumbsupx
And CONGRATS to the NORTH CAROLINA A&T STATE AGGIES the Celebration Bowl Champsxawesomex

number1
December 21st, 2015, 12:25 AM
Great job by both teams xbowx
Great job by ESPN 2 hours of pregame coverage:D
Great job by ABC first class production of the gamexthumbsupx
And CONGRATS to the NORTH CAROLINA A&T STATE AGGIES the Celebration Bowl Champsxawesomex
We'll be there next year.

Catsfan90
December 21st, 2015, 01:20 AM
not sure it was already posted.
more FCS bowls to come.

Celebration Bowl 35,528

New Mexico Bowl - 30,289 ( played in their home stadium )

Camellia bowl - 21,395

LAS VEGAS BOWL-42,213

CURE BOWL-18,536

ORLEANS BOWL-32,847
@clenz

clenz
December 21st, 2015, 06:52 AM
Stadium size. I believe only one of those was played in a comparable sized stadium

We can play % of stadium sold. The NM Bowl, LV Bowl, Camelia Bowl all sold a higher % of their stadium. LV bowl could have sold 70K of in a bigger stadium

New Orleans bowl and Celebration were essentially even. Remember one of those was sold as a national title type game, the other one of the lowest bowl games around

3rd Coast Tiger
December 21st, 2015, 09:28 AM
Post of the year: I'm sick and tired of the constant postings of whats good for the FCS or people bashing facilities or crowd attendance and unless you have a sold out stadium with fans making a bunch of noise your school isn't representing the FCS. When in realty no one outside of our little FCS forum here gives a rats ass. Let me repeat NO ONE CARES. it doesn't matter.

Exactly. That's why I have this quote in my signature...

ccd494
December 21st, 2015, 09:36 AM
Exactly. That's why I have this quote in my signature...

Yup. This forum is one big argument about who the best JV team is. I'd rather Maine play in one Celebration Bowl type game than win 10 FCS title games. December in Atlanta? On ABC? 35,000 fans? Sign me up.

RootinFerDukes
December 21st, 2015, 09:42 AM
Yup. This forum is one big argument about who the best JV team is. I'd rather Maine play in one Celebration Bowl type game than win 10 FCS title games. December in Atlanta? On ABC? 35,000 fans? Sign me up.
You do realize that the factors leading to this situation bowl do not exist for Maine and therefore wouldn't exist? Even if Maine did have an atlanta bowl game, I think it's safe to say 35k (announced of course) won't be there.

ccd494
December 21st, 2015, 09:44 AM
You do realize that the factors leading to this situation bowl do not exist for Maine and therefore wouldn't exist? Even if Maine did have an atlanta bowl game, I think it's safe to say 35k (announced of course) won't be there.

I do. Neither thing would ever happen, but I would prefer the bowl. I really don't give a crap if Maine ever goes to the FCS playoffs again. Does nothing for the university.

RootinFerDukes
December 21st, 2015, 09:48 AM
I do. Neither thing would ever happen, but I would prefer the bowl. I really don't give a crap if Maine ever goes to the FCS playoffs again. Does nothing for the university.

Why do FCS, D2, D3, NAIA, etc even bother to field teams? It's all pointless BS anyways, right? That Cure Bowl sure was big time. The 21k for the Camellia bowl sure did stand out.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 21st, 2015, 09:54 AM
Almost all bowls are participation ribbons.

82 teams make bowls this year. There are 125 teams in FBS. That means 66% of teams make a bowl game.

They had to change the criteria this year because they didn't even have enough 6 win teams to fill the bowl schedule.

Bowls are for losers.

ccd494
December 21st, 2015, 09:54 AM
Why do FCS, D2, D3, NAIA, etc even bother to field teams? It's all pointless BS anyways, right? That Cure Bowl sure was big time. The 21k for the Camellia bowl sure did stand out.

My issue isn't fielding the team. I just feel at this level, play your regular season schedule, give your alums an opportunity to get to campus for home games 4/5 times per year and keep them engaged with the university, and that's plenty. If Maine makes the playoffs, schlepping around the cold weather states on a week's notice to play other small time programs makes no sense.

A one game trip somewhere warm where alumni might want to gather with a month's notice? THAT might move the needle.

UNIFanSince1983
December 21st, 2015, 09:57 AM
Seems crazy to me that FBS is moving to a playoff now, and there are some FCS fans actually arguing for Bowl games. What a time to be alive.

Panther88
December 21st, 2015, 10:05 AM

82 teams make bowls this year. There are 125 teams in FBS. That means 66% of teams make a bowl game.

They had to change the criteria this year because they didn't even have enough 6 win teams to fill the bowl schedule.

Bowls are for losers.
Says the poster who sports a siggy w/ THE Ohio State University alumnus Kirk Herbstreit throwing a University of Texas "hook'em" sign AND there's an Oklahoma University sign in the background.

Penis envy much? I do believe THE Ohio State University would crush your division-I "fcs" squad w/ the GREATEST of ease. xlolx Or, god forbid University of Alabama crushing your paltry squad as well. "bowls are for losers...." KMSL! You'll be glued to the tv almost everyday watching the "bowls are for losers." And its very entertaining watching 25 pages of commentary regarding a "bowl game" that no one allegedly cares about. Mental illness is an outward reality during this time of year. lol Blasphemous much? xlolx

CHIP72
December 21st, 2015, 10:06 AM

Bowls are for losers.

That may be partially true (and was literally true this year for Nebraska, Minnesota, and San Jose State), but college football fans, rightfully or wrongfully, seem to watch those meaningless bowl games in relatively large numbers, despite the fact most of them are played on non-holidays/non-weekends and many of them are played on weeknights (including some before the holiday period when many people take off from work). TV ratings have proven time and time again college football fans will watch bowl games, including minor bowl games, more than Division I-AA/FCS playoff games if everything else (day of week, time of day, competition from other college football and NFL games, and network televising the game) is equal. That's the reality, no matter how good a Division I-AA/FCS team may be.

In all seriousness, I'd bet Appalachian State received more visibility for playing in (and dramatically winning) the minor Camellia Bowl on Saturday night than they did for winning any of their three Division I-AA/FCS national championship games between 2005 and 2007.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 21st, 2015, 10:07 AM
In all seriousness, I'd bet Appalachian State received more visibility for playing in (and dramatically winning) the minor Camellia Bowl on Saturday night than they did for winning any of their three Division I-AA/FCS national championship games between 2005 and 2007.

Wait a minute - what is this Appalachian State you speak of?

Panther88
December 21st, 2015, 10:09 AM

xlolx Peter pan won't like that response, CHIP. Shim is stuck in shim's blasphemous mental retardation. That's why the shims continue to speak on something they don't support or agree w/ lol. 25 pages? lol Why?