PDA

View Full Version : article on ND state and what makes them great

Brad82
December 18th, 2015, 03:18 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2600291-how-north-dakota-state-and-mount-union-became-footballs-heartland-dynasties?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=college-football

You would not think the base of a national football dynasty would come from the state of North Dakota. There are roughly 115,000 people in Fargo and just 740,000 in the entire state. The big industry is agriculture, though North Dakota is now one of the richest oil states, too, which bodes well for bigger, better facilities—read: indoor practice facility—than you'll usually find at the FCS level.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 18th, 2015, 04:45 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2600291-how-north-dakota-state-and-mount-union-became-footballs-heartland-dynasties?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=college-football

You would not think the base of a national football dynasty would come from the state of North Dakota. There are roughly 115,000 people in Fargo and just 740,000 in the entire state. The big industry is agriculture, though North Dakota is now one of the richest oil states, too, which bodes well for bigger, better facilities—read: indoor practice facility—than you'll usually find at the FCS level.

Haven't read this yet but are they saying that NDSU is benefiting greatly from the oil? I don't think that is true that they are getting a bunch from it but could be wrong.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 18th, 2015, 05:01 PM
Haven't read this yet but are they saying that NDSU is benefiting greatly from the oil? I don't think that is true that they are getting a bunch from it but could be wrong.

No, that is most decidedly not true. It sounds like a good line but couldn't be farther from reality.

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 18th, 2015, 05:06 PM
Yep, I personally know 3 people who dont donate money to NDSU. They got a lot of it from oil and farming but choose to spend it on traveling to games season tickets and doing that 100k over 5 years thing for better/more tickets.

bonarae
December 18th, 2015, 05:36 PM
Great article... but are there any questions?

Laker
December 18th, 2015, 06:22 PM
NDSU had great support LONG before the oil boom. Way back when I was in high school they had tremendous support. I would see a lot of Bison fans roll in Mankato for road games.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 19th, 2015, 06:31 AM
NDSU had great support LONG before the oil boom. Way back when I was in high school they had tremendous support. I would see a lot of Bison fans roll in Mankato for road games.

This here 100%

Teammakers have been around 50+ years and that is where it all started.

caribbeanhen
December 19th, 2015, 07:28 AM
Bison's should challenge themselves and go play Notre Dame or Oregon, this is becoming a comedy

CHIP72
December 19th, 2015, 07:56 AM

Largely OT - as some of you probably already know, Saudi Arabia has been manipulating the price of crude oil over the last year (i.e. overproducing/flooding the market) in an effort to drive oil producers via high cost methods (like fracking/rock fracturing in the Bakken Shale producers' case) out of business or at least overexpose them to damaging boom/bust production cycles that will discourage larger scale production in the intermediate future. I don't think the strategy of forcing higher-cost producers out of business is sustainable in the longer term - Saudi Arabia and many other OPEC members are too reliant on oil revenues to support their entire national economies - but wide oil price fluctuations over relatively short periods of time would put a significant hurt on shale-based oil production, likely significantly hurting the North Dakota economy.

CHIP72
December 19th, 2015, 08:00 AM
Here I thought NDSU became a dynasty through being one of the very few state flagship universities NOT playing at the Division I-A/FBS level and Mount Union became a dominant Division III program by being one of the very few D3 football schools to offer de facto athletic scholarships (that Mount Union can hide by claiming them as different types of academic or need-based scholarships).

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 19th, 2015, 08:06 AM
Largely OT - as some of you probably already know, Saudi Arabia has been manipulating the price of crude oil over the last year (i.e. overproducing/flooding the market) in an effort to drive oil producers via high cost methods (like fracking/rock fracturing in the Bakken Shale producers' case) out of business or at least overexpose them to damaging boom/bust production cycles that will discourage larger scale production in the intermediate future. I don't think the strategy of forcing higher-cost producers out of business is sustainable in the longer term - Saudi Arabia and many other OPEC members are too reliant on oil revenues to support their entire national economies - but wide oil price fluctuations over relatively short periods of time would put a significant hurt on shale-based oil production, likely significantly hurting the North Dakota economy.

True.

I guess there are numerous oil wells dug in the Bakken but are not online for now with the low oil price. Once the price comes up again they will start pumping. Plus there is another formation besides the Bakken that hasn't been tapped into yet.

Hammersmith
December 19th, 2015, 08:34 AM
Bison's should challenge themselves and go play Notre Dame or Oregon, this is becoming a comedy

9/5/2020, or hadn't you heard. Of course, that will be the season we'll be going for our 10th straight NC. ;)

Hammerhead
December 19th, 2015, 09:24 AM
Yes, there are no pro sports teams in Minnesota, but many people in eastern ND and follow the Minnesota sports teams. I'm wearing a Vikings hoodie as I'm typing now. It seems like the Bison always emphasize the team first and our biggest advantage may be that our backups and 3rd stringers are good enough to rotate players and keep people fresh until the end.

As for in-state talent, the high school football regular season in N.D. is short due to the cold weather. This year the playoffs started on Oct. 30/31 with the championship games played on Nov 13th.

veinup
December 19th, 2015, 10:44 AM
i hope it mentions the support of the posters on AGS.com

Catsfan90
December 19th, 2015, 10:52 AM
Yes, there are no pro sports teams in Minnesota, but many people in eastern ND and follow the Minnesota sports teams. I'm wearing a Vikings hoodie as I'm typing now. It seems like the Bison always emphasize the team first and our biggest advantage may be that our backups and 3rd stringers are good enough to rotate players and keep people fresh until the end.

As for in-state talent, the high school football regular season in N.D. is short due to the cold weather. This year the playoffs started on Oct. 30/31 with the championship games played on Nov 13th.
I don't buy the pro sports teams excuse. College football, and pro football are two different beasts. Many teams live in tangent together and still have success.

WTFCollegefootballfan
December 19th, 2015, 11:25 AM
True.

I guess there are numerous oil wells dug in the Bakken but are not online for now with the low oil price. Once the price comes up again they will start pumping. Plus there is another formation besides the Bakken that hasn't been tapped into yet.
Two more formations. Tyler and Three Forks.

Ginsbach
December 19th, 2015, 12:48 PM
Two more formations. Tyler and Three Forks.

The current shale play is generally referred to as the Bakken-Three Forks, since they're stratigraphically adjacent and were deposited in similar depositional environments (with the Bakken being offshore and the Three Forks being nearshore) with similar lithologies between the two. Generally, Three Forks production is included in the Bakken counts.

The Tyler Formation, on the other hand, is younger, found at a shallow depth, and is more laterally extensive to the south than the Bakken-Three Forks. Development in the Tyler has been occurring for much longer than the Bakken-Three Forks, though. There are producing wells in the Tyler that date back to the 1950s down in the Dickinson area. Those wells are drilled using traditional methods as opposed to the hydraulic fracturing required for the Bakken-Three Forks.

There's active wells in both of those formations already.

Twentysix
December 19th, 2015, 01:54 PM

We beat Notre Dame in basketball last year :p, and we have a football game with Oregon on the books for 5 years from now.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
December 19th, 2015, 02:41 PM
i hope it mentions the support of the posters on AGS.com
xnodx

TwinCitiesBison
December 19th, 2015, 09:17 PM
I don't buy the pro sports teams excuse. College football, and pro football are two different beasts. Many teams live in tangent together and still have success.

Living in a pro sports market, I respectfully disagree. I've watched a P5 Gophers program struggle to remain relevant among ticket purchasing fans for over 20 years. For a down program, that can be understandable. But even the previous 2 eight win seasons, the program doesn't even register a blip on much of the sports pages in the daily rags in comparison to the Vikings, Wild, Twins, etc... Sure, pro and college hardcore fanbases are two different animals, but they both require the casual fans' interest and ticket purchasing to fill the coffers. In a town like Fargo, the Bison are the only game in town and the attention to them reflects that. It's all Bison, all of the time. That creates a buzz around the program and makes it that much easier to fill the Fargodome and fundraising projects on a consistent basis.

caribbeanhen
December 19th, 2015, 09:21 PM
True.

tell us when that will happen......

Wilson16
December 19th, 2015, 10:29 PM
True.

You must read a lot to know all that

CHIP72
December 20th, 2015, 07:05 AM
Living in a pro sports market, I respectfully disagree. I've watched a P5 Gophers program struggle to remain relevant among ticket purchasing fans for over 20 years. For a down program, that can be understandable. But even the previous 2 eight win seasons, the program doesn't even register a blip on much of the sports pages in the daily rags in comparison to the Vikings, Wild, Twins, etc... Sure, pro and college hardcore fanbases are two different animals, but they both require the casual fans' interest and ticket purchasing to fill the coffers. In a town like Fargo, the Bison are the only game in town and the attention to them reflects that. It's all Bison, all of the time. That creates a buzz around the program and makes it that much easier to fill the Fargodome and fundraising projects on a consistent basis.

+1

I'd also add that TCBison's comment gets at the fundamental difference between college football and the NFL fan following-wise - college football is largely (though not entirely) rural or smaller city or town football, while the NFL is largely big city football. From an NFL-oriented football fan's point of view, ALL college football, including Division I-A/FBS football, is minor league football. Those fans (and I was one of them until late in the last decade) think "why should I follow a lower level of football when I can watch the top level of football?" Considering the national media and more influential regional media is based in those large cities and that the NFL's TV ratings for nationally televised games often dwarf even Division I-A/FBS college football ratings (one can argue endlessly which of those is the chicken and which is the egg), that point of view holds sway in much of the country, especially in the larger urban areas.

caribbeanhen
December 20th, 2015, 07:12 AM
9/5/2020, or hadn't you heard. Of course, that will be the season we'll be going for our 10th straight NC. ;)

10th Championship......, My god, by that time NoDak fans will be compared to necrophilia...... getting all excited about winning something that is already dead....

move along, I would like to see how good you really are.....

CHIP72
December 20th, 2015, 07:17 AM
tell us when that will happen......

When the OPEC members, including Saudi Arabia, start feeling a world of hurt in their national economies (some of them already are) and essentially have to increase prices to boost their economies.

Having said that, I think what Saudi Arabia and other countries may try to do in the long-term is manipulate boom-bust cycles to undermine the viability of higher cost, alternative extraction method oil producers. (If that is the case, then the response to that is to develop technologies that reduce the cost of those high-cost extraction methods or to develop alternative fuels with comparable properties to petroleum - high energy density, easy to store, not overly easy to burn in outside temperature conditions - at low enough costs that they become economically feasible to produce and sell. I don't think natural gas, ethanol, or most other current, similar alternative fuels are viable motor vehicle fuels in the long-term because they don't have high enough energy density and/or aren't easy to store in vehicles when the vehicles are at rest.)

I should note that oil industry-focused locations in the U.S., not just western North Dakota but places like Houston and much of Texas, are facing significant hurt right now too. Low fuel prices are a double-edged sword for the U.S. economy.

Hammerhead
December 20th, 2015, 09:33 AM
Speaking of Oil prices, state revenue was in the crapper back in the 80s when NDSU higher education (and almost everyone) was seeing big budget cuts, yet somehow NDSU managed to dominate D-II in the 80s.