PDA

View Full Version : Fordham Promotes OC Briener to HC

Fordhamanhattan
December 17th, 2015, 11:59 AM
Last time Fordham promoted from within when Dave Clawson (now at Wake Forest) left, it was a disaster

FordhamFan
December 17th, 2015, 12:03 PM
Was just about to make this thread! This will not be a disaster.

Breiner, who at 31 I believe is the youngest D1 Head Coach in the nation, deserves this job in a big way. He was Moorhead's right hand man, is one of the hardest working coaches I've ever seen, and is the perfect move for Fordham. Honestly, I don't see Fordham missing a beat with this move, keeps the whole staff pretty much intact and keeps the momentum for the program rolling.

I am freaking pumped for this hire.

DFW HOYA
December 17th, 2015, 12:04 PM
"Before coming to Fordham, the stylish Breiner served as a graduate assistant at the University of Connecticut with Moorhead for three years. While at UConn, the program won the 2010 Big East Championship and appeared in the 2011 Tostitos Fiesta Bowl.

Prior to his years at UConn, Breiner was an assistant coach at Allegheny College for two years, where he worked with the quarterbacks and wide receivers."

http://fordhamram.com/2015/12/17/breiner-named-head-football-coach/

RichH2
December 17th, 2015, 12:11 PM
Congrate to Coach Breiner. Dont expect Rams will have mych of a hiccup.

CFBfan
December 17th, 2015, 12:16 PM
Congrate to Coach Breiner. Dont expect Rams will have mych of a hiccup.

the same move worked out pretty well for Colgate.....

Lehigh Football Nation
December 17th, 2015, 12:43 PM
This IMO is the best possible outcome for Fordham, keeping the same staff in place and minimizing any recruiting impact. They also moved at incredible speed to solidify this, much to their credit.

You wonder if Roach had this contingency plan cooked up for some time as Moorhead was always going to be a hot coaching property.

bluehenbillk
December 17th, 2015, 01:38 PM
Was just about to make this thread! This will not be a disaster.

Breiner, who at 31 I believe is the youngest D1 Head Coach in the nation, deserves this job in a big way. He was Moorhead's right hand man, is one of the hardest working coaches I've ever seen, and is the perfect move for Fordham. Honestly, I don't see Fordham missing a beat with this move, keeps the whole staff pretty much intact and keeps the momentum for the program rolling.

I am freaking pumped for this hire.

He would've been the youngest two days ago. Maine hired a 29-year old yesterday.

ngineer
December 17th, 2015, 10:53 PM
Good move by Fordham. Need for smooth transition is met. One question is whether there are other assistants there who have been on staff much longer and whether getting 'leap frogged' could result in them looking elsewhere as their route up the ladder is cut off. When Higgins left Lehigh for Detroit Lions, Lembo slid right in with the understanding Gilmore and Cecchini would stay as the DC and OC which they did for another couple years, but then left for Holy Cross and Harvard, respectively. Lembo was about 29 at the time.

PantherRob82
December 18th, 2015, 12:30 AM
When I read the thread title I was really confused on why Fordham promoted their OC to Holy Cross. :D

Gate83
December 18th, 2015, 09:05 AM
This IMO is the best possible outcome for Fordham, keeping the same staff in place and minimizing any recruiting impact. They also moved at incredible speed to solidify this, much to their credit.

You wonder if Roach had this contingency plan cooked up for some time as Moorhead was always going to be a hot coaching property.

I'm sure Dave had this in mind. I talked with him for a while at the Gate/Fordham game & his eyes were wide open in terms of Moorhead's future...

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 18th, 2015, 09:13 AM
Interesting that they promoted from within in where there some attractive candidates. Fordham is a good gig especially when you're 31. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Is the DC staying on the staff?

Fordham
December 18th, 2015, 11:56 AM
Not sure Owl, but that's the big question on the Fordham board as well.