PDA

View Full Version : Montana DC Ty Gregorak switches sides and is going to Montana State

GetEmGriz
December 14th, 2015, 01:07 PM
http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/gregorak-leaving-griz-for-montana-state/article_dd59228c-af1a-5be1-accc-d5d408c63847.html

Montana defensive coordinator Ty Gregorak, a fiery leader with a track record of success, is taking his coaching experience to Montana State.The 37-year-old will serve as defensive coordinator under Bobcats first-year head football coach Jeff Choate. Gregorak is meeting with Griz players all day Monday.
"It was one of the toughest decisions of my life, there's no question about it," Gregorak told the Missoulian. "I've been thinking about it for a week.
"I love Missoula, Montana. I love this program. The things I will miss the most are the players, both current and former players. The relationships I've made with those guys and hundreds and hundreds of families, I'll never forget it. I hope that I can do a good job and, whenever maybe (UM head coach) Bob Stitt decides to move on, I'll be the next guy."
Gregorak's decision to leave the Grizzlies after his fourth season as defensive coordinator -- he was also with UM football from 2003 to 2009 as a position coach -- marked the end of what he called a hard week. Choate reached out to Gregorak the day after Montana's playoff loss at North Dakota State.
"I've never explored, that's the thing," he said of job hunting. "My opinion is if you do a good job at the job you're in, they'll find you. So I've never been looking."
Still, there is a part of Gregorak that feels it is time to move on. He'd like to coach on the big-time college level some day and believes working under Choate is a step toward that goal.
"If you would have told me when I got here at age 24 in 2003 that in 2015 I was still at Montana -- considering I got to play at Colorado and then right away (grad assistant) in the old Pac-10 at Washington -- then in some respects I would have thought that I failed because I hadn't coached in the Pac-12 yet," Gregorak said. "I'm not going to say those still aren't aspirations. Jeff (Choate) knows that.

"It was one of the first things. We talked about it that I want to be a head coach. I want to coach at the FBS level. The NFL is intriguing to me at some point in my career. As he said, 'You let me know when and where that is and I'll be the first call to support you.' But right now I just want to live in a great place and I want my family to be safe."
Unlike Stitt, who cut his coaching teeth at a level lower than the FCS, Choate has extensive experience as an assistant on the big-time college level. His credentials appealed to Gregorak when weighing his decision.
"Just look at where he's been," Gregorak said. "He's been at Washington, Florida, Boise State, Utah State.
"Just in terms of the guys we are and the way we coach is very similar from what I know of Coach Choate. Our philosophies align in that we coach hard. The relationship I want to have with my players is not just as coach but also mentor."
Telling all of his Griz players, both past and present, about his move to Bozeman is not an easy thing for Gregorak.
MORE TO COME

dewey
December 14th, 2015, 01:15 PM
Switching jobs to the hated rival? So Grizzlies fans what is the deal here? Issues with the HC? Pay increase? Connections to new head coach at MSU?

Dewey

Professor Chaos
December 14th, 2015, 01:23 PM
Switching jobs to the hated rival? So Grizzlies fans what is the deal here? Issues with the HC? Pay increase? Connections to new head coach at MSU?

Dewey
Judging from the article he thinks that Choate's connections to the FBS (specifically Pac-12) will get him a coaching gig at that level which is where he aspires to be.

Still kind of odd. He even mentions in the article that if you're good enough they'll find you. Montana is certainly a prestigious enough job to warrant consideration for FBS openings. It doesn't quite all add up to me.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 14th, 2015, 01:25 PM
A few interesting things in there. Seems maybe he and Stitt were not always on the same page. He's not exactly (Gregorak) a great personality in a lot of ways, sort of leaves a sour taste in public sometimes and so forth. Has turned into a good D coach though.

Seems unlikely that he would ever be considered for the HC job at Montana now though as he sort of alluded to there. Could be wrong on that one though. Not that this is his overall goal anyway, just can't see it happening after this.

Bison56
December 14th, 2015, 01:27 PM
Interested in finding out a little more of the details.

bertram
December 14th, 2015, 01:28 PM
Stitt brought in his DC of choice along with him from Co School of Mines. Had to keep on Gregorak this past season as part of the contract.

catbob
December 14th, 2015, 01:46 PM
Stitt brought in his DC of choice along with him from Co School of Mines. Had to keep on Gregorak this past season as part of the contract.

All part of the Stitt Show.

Didn't want to put up with all the Stitt.

Stitt happens.

Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord Stitt ya.

Alright I'm done. Very interesting move for sure. I can't imagine going to your school's biggest rival unless something really drove you to that decision.

jacksfan29
December 14th, 2015, 01:49 PM

Your new DC will be a D2 retread from CSM?

Well, in the BSC there isn't much D played so maybe it will work out.

centennial
December 14th, 2015, 01:49 PM
This is more head scratching than the WIU-SD switch. I think the Griz have a good defense. Must be personal reasons.

Silenoz
December 14th, 2015, 01:52 PM
We better win by 30+ next season (again), and make Ty rue the day!

https://media.giphy.com/media/wryCPfIM0q8py/giphy.gif

Silenoz
December 14th, 2015, 01:54 PM
Also, that whole "arrested for burglarizing a strip club" bit that we conveniently forgot about; let's start bringing that up every 5 minutes. Ready, go.

Grizalltheway
December 14th, 2015, 02:10 PM

We held your happy asses to 17 points and a scoreless half, but I guess that's not much of an accomplishment, all things considered.

Peems
December 14th, 2015, 02:21 PM

Semore was only at Mines for the final year of Stitt's tenure. Prior to that he was an assistant at Oklahoma St. and Tulsa

mvemjsunpx
December 14th, 2015, 02:34 PM
Seems unlikely that he would ever be considered for the HC job at Montana now though as he sort of alluded to there. Could be wrong on that one though. Not that this is his overall goal anyway, just can't see it happening after this.

That whole quote from Gregorak was stunningly tone deaf. He chooses to go to Bozeman, yet thinks he'll be a top consideration to replace Stitt as head coach? Not to mention he's going to Bozeman, where EVERYTHING is about hating UM, but he talks about how he wants nothing more than to bolt to be the head coach in Missoula. xconfusedx

ursus arctos horribilis
December 14th, 2015, 02:40 PM

Yeah, looks like we might be in trouble cuz it hasn't worked out for you guys either. Crap, this seems really bad now that I look at it cuz your D wasn't exactly prepped to get off the bus and stop anything.

You should probably know where your own guy comes from when making idiotic statements...just a tip for you slick.

Clint Brown

Wayne State College

http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=64630&SPID=7153&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=15000&ATCLID=3706677&Q_SEASON=2015

JayJ79
December 14th, 2015, 02:45 PM
A DC quitting and taking a DC job at a rival school? that's unprecedented :p

IBleedYellow
December 14th, 2015, 02:52 PM
Lol...

Not so much. But you know that already.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Silenoz
December 14th, 2015, 03:18 PM

It would be unprecedented to leave UNI for the same position at Indiana State

centennial
December 14th, 2015, 03:40 PM

Please. Montana State is not Indiana State.

UNIFanSince1983
December 14th, 2015, 03:44 PM

I think the better analogy would be a coach leaving NDSU to come to UNI...

Silenoz
December 14th, 2015, 03:50 PM
I think the better analogy would be a coach leaving NDSU to come to UNI...

Well I wasn't gonna go there...

Grizalltheway
December 14th, 2015, 03:52 PM
Please. Montana State is not Indiana State.

True, the Indiana State fan base probably has realistic expectations. MSU fans will be calling for Ty's head if they aren't the best defense in the conference next year.

Silenoz
December 14th, 2015, 03:54 PM
Meanwhile, Golden Boy Ioane gets away with destroying their defense because it was "probably Ash or Marshall's fault".

BisonTru
December 14th, 2015, 03:55 PM
What did he make at UM? What is he making at MSU?

What is Coate's style?

A couple thoughts, more money could be a factor. Also, as DC trying to move up in the coaching world, coaching under someone that has a philosophy similar to your own and one that you feel gives the defense the best chance to succeed, could be a huge factor.

Silenoz
December 14th, 2015, 03:56 PM
Pretty sure neither school is allowed to offer more than the other

Grizzlies82
December 14th, 2015, 06:42 PM
Pretty sure neither school is allowed to offer more than the other

I think the Board of Regents need to sign off on head coaching contracts. Consequently they keep Montana & MT State pay equal.
Yet I don't think that is true at the assistants level. So MSU might go without one lower level assistant to boost the D Coordinator pay.
None the less, I suspect money was not a primary factor for making this jump.

Bisonator
December 14th, 2015, 06:56 PM
What's even worse is a DC quitting and taking a position coaching job with a rival.:D

centennial
December 14th, 2015, 07:15 PM
What's even worse is a DC quitting and taking a position coaching job with a rival.:D

Rub it in.

JayJ79
December 14th, 2015, 08:03 PM

yes, I was wrong on a couple of the facts. He didn't move directly into the DC role (though it didn't take long), and NDSU wasn't yet a true rival at that point (though that didn't take long either).

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 14th, 2015, 09:06 PM
Meanwhile, Golden Boy Ioane gets away with destroying their defense because it was "probably Ash or Marshall's fault".

Wouldn't any hire be better at Montana State when it comes to defense?

They ranked 115/123 in total defense and 97/123 in scoring defense.....

BisonTru
December 14th, 2015, 09:46 PM
I don't see this working out well for the Griz.

Gregorak seemed like a coach players would bust through a wall to play for. I've also said during the course of the year I was impressed with how well the Montana defense has held up considering the style they play.

I know the hurry up spread guys will say TOP doesn't matter just number of plays. But the Stitt offense is prone to spinning out and going three and out. It's very difficult and damn demoralizing to be headed back on the field without even getting a high five from your position coach. Even when his offense is successful he's scoring quickly, putting his D back on the field. You put an average defense out there with those disadvantages good luck. Then add in the defense and DC are going to take all the heat when you lose. I can understand Ty wanting to leave.

If Choate's can get back to physical football and playing great defense, which I think Gregorak will get the defensive side figured out, I see the Cats owning the brawl. I don't have a cat/bear in the fight, just how I see it from scenic Fargo.

mvemjsunpx
December 14th, 2015, 10:01 PM
I don't see this working out well for the Griz.

Gregorak seemed like a coach players would bust through a wall to play for. I've also said during the course of the year I was impressed with how well the Montana defense has held up considering the style they play.

I know the hurry up spread guys will say TOP doesn't matter just number of plays. But the Stitt offense is prone to spinning out and going three and out. It's very difficult and damn demoralizing to be headed back on the field without even getting a high five from your position coach. Even when his offense is successful he's scoring quickly, putting his D back on the field. You put an average defense out there with those disadvantages good luck. Then add in the defense and DC are going to take all the heat when you lose. I can understand Ty wanting to leave.

If Choate's can get back to physical football and playing great defense, which I think Gregorak will get the defensive side figured out, I see the Cats owning the brawl. I don't have a cat/bear in the fight, just how I see it from scenic Fargo.

MSU's defensive talent has dwindled noticeably the last 2 or 3 years, though. I'm guessing that's a big reason Ash was fired after just one losing year. Can Gregorak survive short-term failure there?

Though this could hurt the Griz somewhat, I think this decision will hurt Gregorak more. His leaving isn't a shock, but going to MSU could potentially alienate a lot of his connections.

BisonTru
December 14th, 2015, 11:05 PM
MSU's defensive talent has dwindled noticeably the last 2 or 3 years, though. I'm guessing that's a big reason Ash was fired after just one losing year. Can Gregorak survive short-term failure there?

Though this could hurt the Griz somewhat, I think this decision will hurt Gregorak more. His leaving isn't a shock, but going to MSU could potentially alienate a lot of his connections.

I haven't watched enough Cat games to judge their defensive talent, but you can make a defense look damn good, with some good coaching and a complimentary physical offense that can grind out some clock giving your guys some time to recover and re-organize for the next drive.

As far as burning bridges, I believe Stitt brought in a lot of his own guys. I'm sure the remaining staff isn't really thrilled, but Gregorak knew with the style Stitt plays he's not going to win any defensive awards. His only way up is following Stitt if Stitt goes. If he can go coach with Choate and produce a defense that is shutting down the Stitt/Baldwin offenses the MWC/Pac12 will take note, and UM may be begging him to come back.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 14th, 2015, 11:10 PM
I haven't watched enough Cat games to judge their defensive talent, but you can make a defense look damn good, with some good coaching and a complimentary physical offense that can grind out some clock giving your guys some time to recover and re-organize for the next drive.

As far as burning bridges, I believe Stitt brought in a lot of his own guys. I'm sure the remaining staff isn't really thrilled, but Gregorak knew with the style Stitt plays he's not going to win any defensive awards. His only way up is following Stitt if Stitt goes. If he can go coach with Choate and produce a defense that is shutting down the Stitt/Baldwin offenses the MWC/Pac12 will take note, and UM may be begging him to come back.

None of that is going to happen tru. I've been watching this all for a real long time and it just isn't.

Silenoz
December 14th, 2015, 11:29 PM

Just to be clear, a Bison fan here claimed that a Big Sky team would or could play great defense

But yes, you are correct, those things could happen. Just like UND could win 6 straight NCs. Crazier **** has technically happened.

mvemjsunpx
December 14th, 2015, 11:30 PM

The style is double-edged sword for a DC's resume, though. The fast pace does lead to higher points allowed & yards allowed numbers, but it also leads to more sacks, INTs, fumbles, etc. This makes it more likely to see individual players win defensive awards.

Walkon79
December 15th, 2015, 10:39 AM
What did he make at UM? What is he making at MSU?

What is Coate's style?

A couple thoughts, more money could be a factor. Also, as DC trying to move up in the coaching world, coaching under someone that has a philosophy similar to your own and one that you feel gives the defense the best chance to succeed, could be a huge factor.

Bingo! Ty wants to continue to recruit and coach defensive guys. Stitt, not so much :)

Walkon79
December 15th, 2015, 10:42 AM
None of that is going to happen tru. I've been watching this all for a real long time and it just isn't.

What makes you so sure, Ursus? You don't know Choate. None of us do until we see the product on the field.

Walkon79
December 15th, 2015, 10:44 AM
I'm stoked for this hire, as well as our change in philosophy both offensively and defensively. It's about time we got back to Bobcat Football!

CrazyCat
December 15th, 2015, 10:56 AM
About coaching salaries. The head coach gets a set amount of state money for all assistants base salaries. He determines how much each coach gets. He can also award bonuses from privately raised funds. Since it is state funds. That pool of money is going to be pretty close for MSU and UM.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 15th, 2015, 11:00 AM
I'm stoked for this hire, as well as our change in philosophy both offensively and defensively. It's about time we got back to Bobcat Football!

What is "Bobcat football" exactly?

Video game offense with no defense has been the "norm" lately.

When the Bison steamrolled the Cats in 2010, the coach said MSU needed to get better on the OL and DL.....well he didn't get it done. Will that change now?

Grizalltheway
December 15th, 2015, 11:08 AM

When the Bison steamrolled the Cats in 2010, the coach said MSU needed to get better on the OL and DL.....well he didn't get it done. Will that change now?

They had some pretty stingy defenses under Kramer.

CrazyCat
December 15th, 2015, 11:16 AM

Ask after spring ball. Then ask again after about 3-4 games next fall.

Walkon79
December 15th, 2015, 11:16 AM

Exactly. I would be happy going back to the Kramer years without the off-field issues, and being a little more consistent against lesser opponents. I think Choate can bring that.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 15th, 2015, 11:20 AM
What makes you so sure, Ursus? You don't know Choate. None of us do until we see the product on the field.

Ok. I remember an experiment named Earle Solomonson and how that was gonna take the BSC by storm. Everybody needed to watch out for what was developing there. Now can you try to run that? Sure. Is it gonna be something on a level to make some big differnce? As I sasis...OK.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 15th, 2015, 11:24 AM

That is my point exactly. Nailed it. They were good on both lines in 1984, I'll give em' that so if that is what we are talking about as the year Bobcat football was established and then extinguished the next year I'll give em' that one I guess.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 15th, 2015, 11:25 AM

True, gotta admit that one as well.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 15th, 2015, 11:27 AM
Exactly. I would be happy going back to the Kramer years without the off-field issues, and being a little more consistent against lesser opponents. I think Choate can bring that.

If that happens you will definitely be in a better position.xthumbsupx

Walkon79
December 15th, 2015, 11:30 AM
That is my point exactly. Nailed it. They were good on both lines in 1984, I'll give em' that so if that is what we are talking about as the year Bobcat football was established and then extinguished the next year I'll give em' that one I guess.

That's funny right there. Not true, but funny.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 15th, 2015, 11:32 AM

Bubba is doing that with UND now. Montana has had some good defenses that I have seen in person the last couple of years.

Teams can have the run and gun offenses but play some defense also.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 15th, 2015, 11:34 AM
That's funny right there. Not true, but funny.:D

Walkon79
December 15th, 2015, 11:34 AM
Bubba is doing that with UND now. Montana has had some good defenses that I have seen in person the last couple of years.

Teams can have the run and gun offenses but play some defense also.

You can also run power in the Big Sky and be successful. I've seen us do it.

Bisonator
December 15th, 2015, 12:27 PM
Just to be clear, a Bison fan here claimed that a Big Sky team would or could play great defense

But yes, you are correct, those things could happen. Just like UND could win 6 straight NCs. Crazier **** has technically happened.

Bull****! Prove it!xlolx

Green26
December 16th, 2015, 12:10 AM
Big loss for the Griz. Very good get for the Cats. Players love him as a coach and person, and like how he always has their backs. Most parents like him too. He's a great guy. Stitt may have wanted his own guy, and this was probably not going to work out much longer anyway. The rumors that Stitt was taking all but a handful of the available scholarships for offensive players, and leaving only a handful or less for the defense, are concerning--especially with the defense losing most of its starters. This departure will hurt Stitt. Many former players and insiders weren't excited about Stitt being hired, and continue to have doubts. Gregorak knows every former Griz player for the past 15 years, and virtually all of them like him or love him. Very odd that he's going to the Cats, the "hated" rival. It will be weird for him to come back to Griz stadium next fall. His wife played volleyball for the Cats. The Griz will probably lose one or more of the other holdover coaches too. They are very good and will have good opportunities.

Walkon79
December 16th, 2015, 11:31 AM
Big loss for the Griz. Very good get for the Cats. Players love him as a coach and person, and like how he always has their backs. Most parents like him too. He's a great guy. Stitt may have wanted his own guy, and this was probably not going to work out much longer anyway. The rumors that Stitt was taking all but a handful of the available scholarships for offensive players, and leaving only a handful or less for the defense, are concerning--especially with the defense losing most of its starters. This departure will hurt Stitt. Many former players and insiders weren't excited about Stitt being hired, and continue to have doubts. Gregorak knows every former Griz player for the past 15 years, and virtually all of them like him or love him. Very odd that he's going to the Cats, the "hated" rival. It will be weird for him to come back to Griz stadium next fall. His wife played volleyball for the Cats. The Griz will probably lose one or more of the other holdover coaches too. They are very good and will have good opportunities.

Very well put. I loved his comments about building a defense around your front 4 and the back end, especially in Montana. IMO the one area where we have some recruiting depth in this state is at linebacker. There are tons of home grown kids to coach up and be successful at that position. But you need to go outside of Montana to find the dudes at rush end, nose, and CB. I think Ty and Choate are on the same page in that regard.

Now if we can just find a QB. :)

Silenoz
December 16th, 2015, 11:55 AM

Yes because they all wanted Hauck (including you) and they're still pouting about it

- - - Updated - - -

And yes, I know. I'm an idiot, I didn't play the game, I'm not the ultimate insider like you, etc.

Green26
December 16th, 2015, 06:58 PM
Yes because they all wanted Hauck (including you) and they're still pouting about it

- - - Updated - - -

And yes, I know. I'm an idiot, I didn't play the game, I'm not the ultimate insider like you, etc.

I just supply the facts and the reality. You can either believe them or live in your fantasy world. Doesn't matter to me. No one pouting about anything, other than perhaps you (because you don't know what's going on).