PDA

View Full Version : New Penn State OC May be Fordham HC Joe Moorhead

Lehigh Football Nation
December 12th, 2015, 12:12 PM
Tweets reporting this. Wow if true.

RichH2
December 12th, 2015, 12:19 PM
Just caught them on my timeline. He is a great chouce for PSU as OC. Bound to liven up their O. Tough on Fordham losing a great HC. Moorhead moving up has been assumed for years given his success. Finally happened.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 12th, 2015, 01:09 PM
Saw this last night. Either way his time in the Bronx is running out....

FordhamFan
December 12th, 2015, 02:12 PM
100 percent true, good for him

ngineer
December 12th, 2015, 02:13 PM
100 percent true, good for him

True that he has been named, or true he is a candidate?

FordhamFan
December 12th, 2015, 02:19 PM
He's taking the role from everything I gather. Team meeting has been called and such. He was apparently very up front about interviewing to the team

RichH2
December 12th, 2015, 02:29 PM
Local papers have picked up the story. Seems it is a done deal.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 12th, 2015, 02:35 PM
I am not sure I am getting used to a world where an OC job in college ball is greater than a head coaching job.

FordhamFan
December 12th, 2015, 02:55 PM
I am not sure I am getting used to a world where an OC job in college ball is greater than a head coaching job.

It's one step away from an FBS head job

RetiredRam
December 12th, 2015, 02:56 PM

Salary differential.

Fordham
December 12th, 2015, 03:05 PM
Good for him. Great, great guy and the best coach I've ever been around. If he had to go somewhere I'm glad it's to another team I follow. He will do wonders there.

CFBfan
December 12th, 2015, 03:59 PM
He's taking the role from everything I gather. Team meeting has been called and such. He was apparently very up front about interviewing to the team

will FU promote from current staff or start a search?

kdinva
December 12th, 2015, 07:09 PM
http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Fordham-head-coach-Joe-Moorhead-joins-Penn-State-staff-as-offensive-coordinator

32counter
December 12th, 2015, 08:04 PM
Ironic that FBS schools don't want to play FCS schools but they are quite willing to poach coaches and players for their own use as they see fit.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 12th, 2015, 08:05 PM
This is a great move by Moorhead imo. OC at PSU will land him just about any MAJOR FBS job out there if he's successful. I'm not looking forward to Temple facing an offense that will be vastly improved next year.

It will be interesting to see where Fordham goes from here. It's program that has had a little more success in the last 15 years than some probably realize. But they've also had some really ugly years as well. The facilities are ok but not great. JCF is not a bad stadium in general given Fordham's location but it could be better. From what I gather some of the practice training areas are in need of updating. The program is well funded and managed much better than hoops. The location is both a plus and a minus. Like Temple, kids either like ultra urban schools or they don't. There's also the Patriot League rules that you have to play by.

In the land of FCS I think it's pretty good job. But like any PL job it's a bit of niche gig. You need to know the ropes of how the schools operate. IMO, it's the 3rd best gig in the PL right ahead of HC.

ngineer
December 12th, 2015, 10:18 PM
Will be interesting to see how quickly FU fills this and whether from within. If within, I would think the 'm.o' would stay similar. If a new guy from outside, then you can have all sorts of upheaval with personnel and new schemes.

Go...gate
December 12th, 2015, 10:24 PM
Will be interesting to see how quickly FU fills this and whether from within. If within, I would think the 'm.o' would stay similar. If a new guy from outside, then you can have all sorts of upheaval with personnel and new schemes.

Agree. Also, the Rams have a lot of talent on their roster. Hopefully they have a guy who can move up with no disruption to the program.

DFW HOYA
December 13th, 2015, 06:51 AM
In the land of FCS I think it's pretty good job. But like any PL job it's a bit of niche gig. You need to know the ropes of how the schools operate. IMO, it's the 3rd best gig in the PL right ahead of HC.

How do you define the best vs. the worst job: salary, benefits, budget commitment, visibility, institutional pressure? There are probably, three, maybe four jobs better than Fordham.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 13th, 2015, 06:58 AM
How do you define the best vs. the worst job: salary, benefits, budget commitment, visibility, institutional pressure? There are probably, three, maybe four jobs better than Fordham.

When it comes to the PL, or really any school, the most important thing is institutional support/culture. I think there's more red tape at the PL from the start relative to most conferences....

Lehigh Football Nation
December 13th, 2015, 08:54 AM

This brings up an interesting question re: public and private sector coaching jobs. In taking the Penn State coordinator position, if he works there long enough he'd be a state employee and can qualify for a state pension. I don't know how long he'd have to be there to qualify, but I wonder if benefits can add into the compensation package.

A P5 coordinator job, especially Penn State's, I believe should be a significant pay raise over Fordham's head gig. However, there's a lot less control, too.

Neighbor2
December 13th, 2015, 09:14 AM
LFN - I believe the current vesting period for a Pennsylvania state pension benefit is 10 years. If Moorhead is looking to make a lucrative career out of coaching, he HAD to make this decision. First of all, it probably doubles his current salary. It greatly increases his national visibility as an elite-level coach. It puts him on track for a life-changing income if his success at Penn State translates to a top job at a major program. Then, there's the dramatically lower cost of living in State College than in the NY Metro area. Lower priced homes, lower taxation of many different sorts, and no taxation on pension income.

This is a wonderful move for Moorhead. He just 'hit the lottery,' so to speak.

DFW HOYA
December 13th, 2015, 09:18 AM
Hiring coordinators are also becoming a tacit sign of the strength of head coaches. When Texas couldn't get Sonny Cumbie (OC at TCU) to double his salary, it says something about the relative stability of the head coach--why move to a school where you could be out of a job as soon as the head coach is?

With that in mind, Moorhead's move to Happy Valley also shows commitment for James Franklin.

As to the relative ranking of PL coaching jobs, I think it's much more than budget. That being said, Lehigh is the highest profile job in the league right now and Bucknell trails the field.

Pards Rule
December 13th, 2015, 09:32 AM
LFN - I believe the current vesting period for a Pennsylvania state pension benefit is 10 years. If Moorhead is looking to make a lucrative career out of coaching, he HAD to make this decision. First of all, it probably doubles his current salary. It greatly increases his national visibility as an elite-level coach. It puts him on track for a life-changing income if his success at Penn State translates to a top job at a major program. Then, there's the dramatically lower cost of living in State College than in the NY Metro area. Lower priced homes, lower taxation of many different sorts, and no taxation on pension income.

This is a wonderful move for Moorhead. He just 'hit the lottery,' so to speak.

Definitely! If he flames out at PSU he can always take over in nearby Lewisburg PA!

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 13th, 2015, 10:31 AM
I just talked to a former Fordham player who was teammates with Moorhead. He's saying Bailey from CCU is the lead guy....

Pards Rule
December 13th, 2015, 10:35 AM
BTW confirmed in todays edition of Phila. Inquirer....www.philly.com

ngineer
December 13th, 2015, 06:28 PM
This brings up an interesting question re: public and private sector coaching jobs. In taking the Penn State coordinator position, if he works there long enough he'd be a state employee and can qualify for a state pension. I don't know how long he'd have to be there to qualify, but I wonder if benefits can add into the compensation package.
I believe should be a significant pay raise over Fordham's head gig. H
A P5 coordinator job, especially Penn State's, owever, there's a lot less control, too.

Moreover, expectations and accountability are heightened. While there are expectations of winning at the PL schools, at PSU, the demands on the time and outcomes are much higher. Depends on how much stress and control one wants in their life.