PDA

View Full Version : Wichita State Football Article

mmiller_34
December 9th, 2015, 06:38 PM
This topic bubbling again. I think it would be great for MVFC, even if temporary. However, I doubt anything comes of this.

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article48764285.html

clenz
December 9th, 2015, 06:41 PM
Non starter

Just WSU trying to leverage something they don't have due to some sort of complex they have.

There's zero legit topic to discuss on this topic. They just don't see it

NoDak 4 Ever
December 9th, 2015, 06:42 PM
This topic bubbling again. I think it would be great for MVFC, even if temporary. However, I doubt anything comes of this.

It would be in a straight up bid for the big 12, however unlikely that is.

ST_Lawson
December 9th, 2015, 06:43 PM

So, question for the MVFC folks who are also MVC and are more familiar with Wichita State people...what's the likelihood that they would be satisfied with FCS level, or would they shoot for going straight for FBS (similar to how Old Dominion did it) with a short stopover in FCS-land?

clenz
December 9th, 2015, 06:46 PM
So, question for the MVFC folks who are also MVC and are more familiar with Wichita State people...what's the likelihood that they would be satisfied with FCS level, or would they shoot for going straight for FBS (similar to how Old Dominion did it) with a short stopover in FCS-land?

Zero. Less than zero

Negative amounts

The only reason the word football was mentioned is because they are starting to realize what has been told them for years. You aren't going anywhere without football

The resources that would be required and potentially taken from BB makes this a non starter from the start. It's B12 or busy for them and they think they can roll football right into it because they are that delusional

mmiller_34
December 9th, 2015, 06:48 PM

I'd be interested in that as well. WSU & UNI is a big rivalry in the MVC right?

ST_Lawson
December 9th, 2015, 06:53 PM
Zero. Less than zero

Negative amounts

The only reason the word football was mentioned is because they are starting to realize what has been told them for years. You aren't going anywhere without football

The resources that would be required and potentially taken from BB makes this a non starter from the start. It's B12 or busy for them and they think they can roll football right into it because they are that delusional

That's what I figured (inflated sense of self-worth...thinking that success in BBall means they'd be awesome at football too).

BisonFan02
December 9th, 2015, 07:00 PM
WSU adding football and joining the Big 12 has as good of a chance happening as a XDSU does joining the MVC.

PantherRob82
December 9th, 2015, 07:08 PM
WSU adding football and joining the Big 12 has as good of a chance happening as a XDSU does joining the MVC.

I think one of you has a better chance of joining the NVC then they do joining the Big 12

NoDak 4 Ever
December 9th, 2015, 07:15 PM
The Kochs have a ton of money and influence. I wouldn't count WSU out of anything.

BisonFan02
December 9th, 2015, 07:27 PM
I think one of you has a better chance of joining the NVC then they do joining the Big 12

SDSU? Take them out of the Summit (massive blow to the league), and the Bison are likely looking for an all sports home that involves the letters F, B, and S. :D

PantherRob82
December 9th, 2015, 08:01 PM
SDSU? Take them out of the Summit (massive blow to the league), and the Bison are likely looking for an all sports home that involves the letters F, B, and S. :D

I meant either of you. xlolx

No way the Big 12 adds another Kansas team. I don't think they have any shot, but Missouri State seems like a more likely B12 candidate that WSU

BisonFan02
December 9th, 2015, 08:09 PM
I meant either of you. xlolx

No way the Big 12 adds another Kansas team. I don't think they have any shot, but Missouri State seems like a more likely B12 candidate that WSU

Naw, we a fooseball skool. :D. I thought more about it....maybe WSU doesn't need football. Kansas only slightly has more football than the Shockers do. xlolx

Jackal
December 9th, 2015, 08:19 PM
I was told about a week ago that WSU to the AAC was a done deal. He never said anything about football tho.

mmiller_34
December 9th, 2015, 08:24 PM
I was told about a week ago that WSU to the AAC was a done deal. He never said anything about football tho.

Really?

From who?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

melloware13
December 9th, 2015, 08:28 PM
AAC might be worried about losing some combination of Cincy/Memphis/Houston. However, if the XII took two from the AAC, I could see the counter moves requiring football to keep the CCG (maybe Army & UMass)

FormerPokeCenter
December 9th, 2015, 08:38 PM
The only thing I know about The Shockers is that they have a fantastic head baseball coach...former McNeese player and head coach Todd Butler...We went to the same HS, but I was three years ahead of him...

UNIFanSince1983
December 9th, 2015, 09:07 PM
What happened to the one WSU fan who used to come on here?

Laker
December 9th, 2015, 09:10 PM
I remember when Wichita State had that terrible airplane crash in 1970.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wichita_State_University_football_team_plane_crash

NoDak 4 Ever
December 9th, 2015, 09:15 PM
The MVC's RPI is already in trouble. Losing WSU will be the dagger.

ASU33
December 9th, 2015, 10:46 PM
Hmmmmm this would be interesting. I wonder what are the odds that they bring the program back.

clenz
December 9th, 2015, 10:47 PM
Hmmmmm this would be interesting. I wonder what are the odds that they bring the program back.

clenz
December 9th, 2015, 10:48 PM
Hell, look at the related threads listed below the reply box...

Similar Threads
Wichita State Football
By DFW HOYA in forum FCS Discussion
Replies: 21
Last Post: July 4th, 2012, 09:34 AM

Wichita TV station does report on football at Wichita State
By TheBisonator in forum FCS Discussion
Replies: 20
Last Post: July 19th, 2011, 06:53 PM

Wichita State Football gaining some steam
By Shockerman in forum FCS Discussion
Replies: 21
Last Post: September 12th, 2008, 02:41 PM

Wichita State Football Talks Start Again
By Bison_Kent in forum FCS Discussion
Replies: 27
Last Post: June 29th, 2006, 04:45 PM

Wichita State to get I-AA football?
By Bison_Kent in forum FCS Discussion
Replies: 8
Last Post: February 10th, 2006, 06:54 PM

Noticing a theme...and a lack of football at WSU?

FargoBison
December 9th, 2015, 11:48 PM
WSU is never getting into the Big 12...KU and K-State will never go for it. They can add football and be very attractive for the MWC or American I guess. I could see the American being an attractive option for them.

That said starting a football program and moving it to that level, is a massive undertaking. It would be massive for a school like NDSU that already has a program at the top of the FCS and they would be starting from ground zero.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 9th, 2015, 11:53 PM
I'm with clenzy on this one. They want to jump directly into the Big 12 instead of doing it the time-tested way of suiciding their basketball for a Sun Belt membership, then putting on a miniskirt and pray the AAC comes calling. Not to mention that tiny detail that both Kansas and Kansas State would rather eat their children rather than add Wichita State to their conference.

FargoBison
December 10th, 2015, 12:01 AM
I'm with clenzy on this one. They want to jump directly into the Big 12 instead of doing it the time-tested way of suiciding their basketball for a Sun Belt membership, then putting on a miniskirt and pray the AAC comes calling. Not to mention that tiny detail that both Kansas and Kansas State would rather eat their children rather than add Wichita State to their conference.

They could go straight to the AAC if they wanted, no need to waste time in the Belt.

birdsflyhigh
December 10th, 2015, 12:04 AM
Lehigh, you hit the nail on the head with the comment about KU and KSU eating their own children before they would let WSU into the Big 12. That comment really made me laugh....thanks. :) I wonder what WSU wants out of MVC commish Doug Elgin? God only knows, but he'll probably do whatever they want.....sad.

dgtw
December 10th, 2015, 01:25 AM
I remember when Wichita State had that terrible airplane crash in 1970.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wichita_State_University_football_team_plane_crash

How is that crash not as well known as Marshall?

OSBF
December 10th, 2015, 07:30 AM

Evansville Men's basketball had one about the same era as well

SENOREIDA
December 10th, 2015, 07:52 AM
They do have a 31,000+ on campus stadium at their disposal. I see this much more practical then Winthrop or CofC starting a football team.

Laker
December 10th, 2015, 08:16 AM

Good question. The Wichita crash happened first. Some of the passengers lived on that plane. Everyone died on the Marshall plane.

The Shockers program never recovered, while Marshall's eventually met record success.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 10th, 2015, 08:21 AM
There's a thread on the AAC board about this possibility. There's been open banter about adding them for bball only in the past..

Honestly, I wouldn't be opposed to them joining the AAC. The school fits the conference's profile reasonably well and their hoops programs would strengthen basketball. My only real complaint is WSU would be another school that's a long ways from Temple and UConn. I'm someone who will drive to away games of pretty great length (up to 12 hours) but most of the AAC school are more well beyond that. Wichita State would only make it worse.

I still don't see Cincinnati, Houston or Memphis joining the Big 12 anytime soon (next 5 years). Oklahoma proved you can make the playoffs without a conference title game. As a result I think the conference will remain as for the time being and see if the true round robin is the better route...

Sycamore62
December 10th, 2015, 08:41 AM
I wonder how much money they make off of the P5 championship games?

Shockerman
December 10th, 2015, 09:11 AM
Zero. Less than zero

Negative amounts

Don't let Clenz's blind hate and jealousy fool you. Everything UNI does is done better by WSU. This isn't about the Big XII. It's about securing a spot in the Upper tier of the G5 as Wichita State doesn't want to get left behind.

Now with that said, Clenz does have a point about the delusional mindset of Shocker nation when it comes to football. However, you have to remember that there is no FCS program in Kansas, Nebraska, or Oklahoma. In addition, UNC and the Dakotas are all relatively new to the FCS. The point being, FCS football is a complete unknown quantity to the people of Wichita. The only thing they know about it are the pictures and box scores of Valley football teams that show empty stadiums and scream red ink. What they fail to understand is that this has zero connection to the quality of play and skill in FCS football. On top of all this, WSU has a major case of little brother syndrome in state with KU and K-State alumni.

The goal is to get into a conference with more Urban universities like Houston, Tulsa, Cincinnati, Memphis, etc moving forward. Of course the problem with that is the AAC is a ticking time bomb with its only hope of survival being the Big XII expanding West. That makes the other alternative the MWC. Either way, without football, both are non starters.

BisonFan02
December 10th, 2015, 09:20 AM
Don't let Clenz's blind hate and jealousy fool you. Everything UNI does is done better by WSU. This isn't about the Big XII. It's about securing a spot in the Upper tier of the G5 as Wichita State doesn't want to get left behind.

Now with that said, Clenz does have a point about the delusional mindset of Shocker nation when it comes to football. However, you have to remember that there is no FCS program in Kansas, Nebraska, or Oklahoma. In addition, UNC and the Dakotas are all relatively new to the FCS. The point being, FCS football is a complete unknown quantity to the people of Wichita. The only thing they know about it are the pictures and box scores of Valley football teams that show empty stadiums and scream red ink. What they fail to understand is that this has zero connection to the quality of play and skill in FCS football. On top of all this, WSU has a major case of little brother syndrome in state with KU and K-State alumni.

The goal is to get into a conference with more Urban universities like Houston, Tulsa, Cincinnati, Memphis, etc moving forward. Of course the problem with that is the AAC is a ticking time bomb with its only hope of survival being the Big XII expanding West. That makes the other alternative the MWC. Either way, without football, both are non starters.

Not sure that matters anymore and the "scream red ink" thing....G5 football doesn't?

NoDak 4 Ever
December 10th, 2015, 09:22 AM
They could go straight to the AAC if they wanted, no need to waste time in the Belt.

The AAC makes me think this could have some legs. WSU would have no problem raising enough money to get it started.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 10th, 2015, 09:23 AM
Because astroturfing a FBS football program in order to remain in the AAC has worked out so well for UConn

OSBF
December 10th, 2015, 09:35 AM
Good question. The Wichita crash happened first. Some of the passengers lived on that plane. Everyone died on the Marshall plane.

The Shockers program never recovered, while Marshall's eventually met record success.

The WSU team was on 2 planes, 1 went down due the pilot being a jagoff

Everyone on the one that hit the mountain perished, and, obviously, everyone on the plane that made it out of the canyon survived the incident

OSBF
December 10th, 2015, 09:42 AM
I stand corrected

There were 9 survivors of the plane that went down

bostonspider
December 10th, 2015, 09:48 AM
Cessna Stadium... Fine for FCS, but would need some work for the AAC or MWC

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2680/4296488425_fc850587fd_b.jpg

OSBF
December 10th, 2015, 09:55 AM
OH boy here we go

A field with a track around it.....................

ST_Lawson
December 10th, 2015, 09:55 AM
Cessna Stadium... Fine for FCS, but would need some work for the AAC or MWC

It's not a bad stadium (at least, last time I was there...which, admittedly, has been maybe 15 or so years). A bit of paint, some decent turf, and a new scoreboard, and they're pretty much ready to go for FCS football. It would already be one of the largest FCS stadiums out there.

PantherRob82
December 10th, 2015, 10:01 AM

I'm a big fan of WSU and I'm not sure what he said that is wrong.

I would also argue that UNI does just fine. I'm sure our entire athletic budget including football is smaller than Wichita's and we do we well with that. Wichita was a baseball school with memories of basketball past until 5 years ago. ;)

clenz
December 10th, 2015, 11:07 AM

So what I said is true but it's blind hatred and jealousy?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/95/dc/1f/95dc1faebf2b7947c56cca0fcea44a25.gif

Sycamore62
December 10th, 2015, 11:13 AM
I doubt any football happens unless they are sure it is going to get them in a new conference.

Yote 53
December 10th, 2015, 01:06 PM
KU and KSU having objections to WSU in the Big 12 is large enough to overcome but you think mighty Bevo or the Sooners are going slumming and letting the Shockers in the the conference? No way, they had a hard enough time stomaching Baylor and T-Tech.

I don't see WSU football ever happening. The only reason they want to start a program is to get their bball team into a better conference. That is backwards to the way college athletics work, football drives the bus. In order to get into the conference they want for basketball they would have to massively prioritize their football program going from scratch to FBS which will take away from the bouncy ball team. Besides no self respecting conference is going to give them the time needed to actually field a decent squad, even the AAC who had quite a few teams in the top 10-20 this season. Their only shot at FBS out of the gate is the Sun Belt, which would kill their basketball program.

Catamount87
December 10th, 2015, 01:16 PM
Ask the fans of Bardo's previous school what they think of his real support for football.

ST_Lawson
December 10th, 2015, 01:22 PM
Unless they're able to negotiate a situation like Idaho or New Mexico State currently have where they're football only in the Sun Belt but have a different conference for other sports. They could theoretically start up football, go FCS for a couple of years, move up to the Sun Belt with football, all while keeping all their other sports in the MVC. Then, if they're able to secure an all-sports invite to the AAC, they move all sports there.

Not saying it's likely, just saying that it's a possible "route".

SENOREIDA
December 10th, 2015, 01:29 PM
Unless they're able to negotiate a situation like Idaho or New Mexico State currently have where they're football only in the Sun Belt but have a different conference for other sports. They could theoretically start up football, go FCS for a couple of years, move up to the Sun Belt with football, all while keeping all their other sports in the MVC. Then, if they're able to secure an all-sports invite to the AAC, they move all sports there.

Not saying it's likely, just saying that it's a possible "route".
The Sun Belt actually might be down for that. They need to nix Idaho from their conference, and they are only a football affiliate. Wichita State would fit in a whole lot better geographically then Idaho.

Laker
December 10th, 2015, 01:31 PM
The Sun Belt actually might be down for that. They need to nix Idaho from their conference, and they are only a football affiliate. Wichita State would fit in a whole lot better geographically then Idaho.

Why doesn't Idaho just go whole hog into the Big Sky? It would make so much more sense to go back to their old rivals.

BisonFan02
December 10th, 2015, 01:33 PM
Why doesn't Idaho just go whole hog into the Big Sky? It would make so much more sense to go back to their old rivals.

Pride.

ST_Lawson
December 10th, 2015, 01:34 PM

Pretty sure they refuse to admit that they're really just an FCS program masquerading as an FBS. It makes a ton of sense to us from the outside looking in, but to them, they feel like they should be up there with Boise State.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
December 10th, 2015, 02:23 PM
Ask the fans of Bardo's previous school what they think of his real support for football.

I thought that name was familiar, now I know where.

In order for Wichita State (or any school) to have football and be good at it, it requires the right kind of leadership and vision. Based on Bardo's previous history with WCU, I am not sure that is going to be possible at Wichita State. They may just shock me but I am not betting on it.

catamount man
December 10th, 2015, 03:28 PM
John Bardo supporting football?! There's a joke. Mr I refuse to raise student fees so you guys can have a good football team. I knew the first moment I ever sat in a Catamount Club Board of Directors meeting this guy was a joke. He did great academic things for WCU but athletics wise...please.

Laker
December 10th, 2015, 04:36 PM
As long as we are on the topic of a D1 school adding football- are there any other schools that are seriously considering actually doing it?

SENOREIDA
December 10th, 2015, 07:14 PM
As long as we are on the topic of a D1 school adding football- are there any other schools that are seriously considering actually doing it?
In SC there have been talks about Winthrop and CofC adding football. Nothing serious, just comments here and there. Winthrop students are completely the idea against it in typical liberal fashion, showing up in full force at town hall meetings against adding football. Saying it will create a negative atmosphere on campus. They can go hide in their "safe space", for all I care. They have gone as far as saying they would play in York County District Three Stadium.

CofC on the other hand, have fun Citadel fans when the petition to change the name of your stadium. Only feasible way for them to start a program is to share Hagood Stadium, and I am pretty sure their boosters do not want to play in a stadium named after a Confederate general.

jacksfan29
December 11th, 2015, 09:51 AM
I hate Texas so it would actually be kind of funny to see the Longhorns slumming it with WSU. That said, your right; it has no chance of happening.

The AAC or Sunbelt are the only FBS conferences I could see accepting a newly developed WSU FB program. The MWC would not be interested. In fact, I doubt the MWC will ever cross the Colorado border east and if they did they would be going to Texas. If it came down to the MWC needing an all sport replacement the top 5 choices would be: 1) Montana 2) Montana 3) Montana 4) Montana State (if Montana joins) 5) NMSU.

I don't think Idaho has a chance in hell of getting into the MWC and neither does WSU.

KU and KSU having objections to WSU in the Big 12 is large enough to overcome but you think mighty Bevo or the Sooners are going slumming and letting the Shockers in the the conference? No way, they had a hard enough time stomaching Baylor and T-Tech.

I don't see WSU football ever happening. The only reason they want to start a program is to get their bball team into a better conference. That is backwards to the way college athletics work, football drives the bus. In order to get into the conference they want for basketball they would have to massively prioritize their football program going from scratch to FBS which will take away from the bouncy ball team. Besides no self respecting conference is going to give them the time needed to actually field a decent squad, even the AAC who had quite a few teams in the top 10-20 this season. Their only shot at FBS out of the gate is the Sun Belt, which would kill their basketball program.

UNIFanSince1983
December 11th, 2015, 10:06 AM
I don't know maybe Kansas fans would be okay with WSU in the B12 because then maybe they could get a football win...

Ah who am I kidding? They couldn't even beat a start up WSU football team...

Sycamore62
December 11th, 2015, 12:43 PM
I just dont see WSU fitting in the Big 12 in the long term football or not. If i look at the size and enrollment it doesnt match up like Illinois State or Missouri State (2 other schools i dont think would fit who have been tossed around). I think sometimes, you are where you should be. best case scenario, start football and join a G5 conference.

PantherRob82
December 11th, 2015, 12:45 PM
I wish they'd join the MVFC. Bison-Shockers games would be intense.

UNIFanSince1983
December 11th, 2015, 02:14 PM
The delusions of grandeur in Wichita are high. Will be interesting to see where the basketball team ends up after Fred and Ron graduate this year too.

I mean Creighton went to the Big East. Had one good year. Then Dougie leaves and well not so good for them in the Big East. Sure Wichita could have competed in the big conferences the last few years, but after Fred and Ron maybe not so much.