PDA

View Full Version : Rhode Island

MplsBison
December 13th, 2006, 10:35 AM
As state public flagship universities that play football go, URI is easily the worst program in the entire nation. Not only don't they play that well, they don't have much fan support.

I honestly can't think of one that is worse. Even DII U of South Dakota and U of North Dakota would kill them.

What's wrong with this program?

It should at least be at the level of UMass and I would've thought it had the same potential as UConn.

Appguy
December 13th, 2006, 10:42 AM
anyone know rhode islands population?

DinoDex200
December 13th, 2006, 10:45 AM

More than Wyoming's...and they do okay. :nod:

Seriously, though, Stowers is a prime example that the Triple Option isn't just about the system. Ostensibly, he's running the same offense as Paul Johnson...but getting far less results.

89Hen
December 13th, 2006, 10:52 AM

It should at least be at the level of UMass and I would've thought it had the same potential as UConn.
Smaller than either. Not much HS football interest AFAIK (compared to other states). Go to Scout or any site and see if you can find a football player that is rated from RI.

andy7171
December 13th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Do you think the location right next to a sod farm hurts recruiting? I mean Del State has the corn field behind it and occasionaly reaks of manure, but they at least have the whole HBC deal to work with.

The brown and light blue stadium screams class!

UNH 40
December 13th, 2006, 11:00 AM
As state public flagship universities that play football go, URI is easily the worst program in the entire nation. Not only don't they play that well, they don't have much fan support.

I honestly can't think of one that is worse. Even DII U of South Dakota and U of North Dakota would kill them.

Here is your problem. For some odd reason URI only offers 32 scholarships for football, instead of the alotted 65 buy the NCAA and almost every single one of those scholarships go to offensive players, leaving the defense in shambles. If the could ever stop anyone on the defensive side of the football they would be fine, but unfortunately they can't and are always forced to play catch up, that is a daunting task with that type of offense. They need to find a QB who can run the option affectively and throw the football with some efficiency, so they can atleast have a chance to make a comeback in games where they are down. Lastly they did a good job with the new home bleachers, now they need to fix up or even just repaint the visitors side because as it is right now is absolutely hidious.

UNH SUPERFAN
December 13th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Some observations about RI:

1. If you run the option do players that aspire to be pros go to your school? The answer is probably not offensive players, except RBS. QB, WR, TE, and OL need a passing attack to develop as players, something URI usually doesn't have. I think they need to change their offense in order to attract better talent.

2. I have heard that they don't use all their scholarships. I don't know if that is true but if it is it is a serious drag on their recruiting. Maybe someone in the "know" could clarify.

3. URI is a beautiful campus and setting, I think one of the best in the A-10, it is also well located near Boston/Providence/NYC population centers. They should be able to recruit good talent.

4. They have invested in the stadium, the new home side is really nice. A large crowd would make alot of noise there.

All things are cyclical, I'll bet RI will be back in the mix as an A-10 power at some point.

DrG
December 13th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Smaller than either. Not much HS football interest AFAIK (compared to other states). Go to Scout or any site and see if you can find a football player that is rated from RI.
FYI, the UMass QB is from RI.

89Hen
December 13th, 2006, 11:16 AM
All things are cyclical, I'll bet RI will be back in the mix as an A-10 power at some point.
I can only think of a two year period in the mid-80's when URI was in the mix and that was pre-JMU, W&M, Richmond... They've never been in the mix since the A10 has improved. They got passed by.

YoUDeeMan
December 13th, 2006, 11:22 AM
The kids in the state of Rhode Island spend too much time sailing to focus on football. :thumbsup: xlolx

Nothing wrong wth that!

~~~~~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~~~~~~~

_/) _/)

UNH 40
December 13th, 2006, 11:45 AM
I can only think of a two year period in the mid-80's when URI was in the mix and that was pre-JMU, W&M, Richmond... They've never been in the mix since the A10 has improved. They got passed by.

In 2001 URI was ranked #2 in the nation when we played them 7th or 8th week of the season. They were a very good football team that year, I believe they finished 8-3 and missed the playoffs.

MplsBison
December 13th, 2006, 11:50 AM
The school is not small or poor.

OPE says they spent 3 million dollars on football last year. That's more than a lot of teams.

Are you sure they only give 32 scholarships?

Maybe they need a complete coaching overhaul. Why hasn't the coach been fired for running that type of program?

GannonFan
December 13th, 2006, 12:02 PM
In 2001 URI was ranked #2 in the nation when we played them 7th or 8th week of the season. They were a very good football team that year, I believe they finished 8-3 and missed the playoffs.

The problem was, they lost all 3 games in conference in a year where 4 conference teams only lost 2 games each so even one of those 2 loss teams (nova) didn't make the playoffs.

But 89 was right, URI has only had a winning record 3 times since 1986, when Delaware and Richmond joined the Yankee/A10/CAA and it became a much harder conference (nova joined a few years later followed by JMU and W&M in the early 90's and finally Hofstra and Towson much later). What's interesting is that URI's last glory came in the two years before the conference deepened when they went 9-1 in conference play over the two years and won 2 playoff games during that time (over Akron and Richmond) and made the semis in 1984. However, they've been pretty much abysmal since.

IMO, it's just that there's no support for football in Rhode Island. It's a basketball school and it's in New England, where college football is not really a big deal. It hasn't helped that the coaching there has just been abysmal, and Stowers is just another in a long line of ineffective coaches (why they gave him an extension is beyond me). Comparing URI to UNH is really useful though - you would think they would both have the same problems in terms of poor facilities, small fanbase (well, UNH before the last 2 years), and poor location. However, UNH has been blessed by good coaching (McDonnell now and before him a possibly better coach in Bill Bowes who was at UNH for about 2 decades. Good coaching trumps all the downsides. URI just hasn't had any good coaching for a good 20 years now.

AZGrizFan
December 13th, 2006, 07:30 PM

But they STILL have more electoral votes than Montana.... xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

:rolleyes:

Tubby Raymond
December 13th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Some observations about RI:

1. If you run the option do players that aspire to be pros go to your school? The answer is probably not offensive players, except RBS. QB, WR, TE, and OL need a passing attack to develop as players, something URI usually doesn't have. I think they need to change their offense in order to attract better talent.

2. I have heard that they don't use all their scholarships. I don't know if that is true but if it is it is a serious drag on their recruiting. Maybe someone in the "know" could clarify.

3. URI is a beautiful campus and setting, I think one of the best in the A-10, it is also well located near Boston/Providence/NYC population centers. They should be able to recruit good talent.

4. They have invested in the stadium, the new home side is really nice. A large crowd would make alot of noise there.

How many players sing with I-AA teams who believe they are going to the bigs?, Not many.

URI will not return to the top of the league, the 32 schollies are the reason

RadMann
December 13th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Stop picking on Rhode Island... ;)

OhioHen
December 14th, 2006, 06:25 AM

You're just as likely to find a "rated" player from Rhode Island as you are from Delaware. In-state talent isn't the only factor in developing a football team. :twocents:

mcveyrl
December 14th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Here is your problem. For some odd reason URI only offers 32 scholarships for football, instead of the alotted 65 buy the NCAA and almost every single one of those scholarships go to offensive players, leaving the defense in shambles...

And then they play in the CAA...

Sam Adams
December 14th, 2006, 07:37 AM
URI is better than people think they are. Its one of the most beautiful states in the country and also the smallest. Rhode Island is a major hotbed for hockey and they have produced some good football talent including UMass QB Liam Coen.

No need to trash URI, its a great school, great state with a less than fabulous football tradition. They still win football games however and they have some good players. Ease up on Rhody - show some holiday spirit!

Borat
December 14th, 2006, 07:57 AM
Steve Silva from Holy Cross was a Payton Award finalist in 2005, went to East Providence, RI HS (Go Townies!).

RB Mike Cloud, who played at Boston College and in the NFL for a few years, went to HS in RI.

Colgate's Mark van Eeghen grew up in Cranston.

Tribe4SF
December 14th, 2006, 08:01 AM
I don't care what the state of Rhode Island football is, as long as we don't have to play them!:bang:

henfan
December 14th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Seriously, though, Stowers is a prime example that the Triple Option isn't just about the system. Ostensibly, he's running the same offense as Paul Johnson...but getting far less results.

If Stowers' school were located in GA and he had immediate recruiting access to the wealth of FB talent in FL, I'm pretty sure results wouldn't be an issue.

I'm high skeptical that Rhody is permitted by the CAA-10 to offer less than 55 FB scholarships. If anyone has a link proving otherwise, please provide it. Looking at their expenses, I'd say that's certainly NOT the case.

carney2
December 14th, 2006, 08:43 AM

The population of RI was 1,048,319 as of April, 2000. That is number 43 of the 50 states - less than #42 Hawaii but more than #44 Montana and #45 Delaware.

The University of Rhode Island enrolls 10,320 undergraduates and 3.115 graduate students.

Their football incompetence is a matter of commitment, not size.

mainejeff
December 14th, 2006, 08:55 AM
First off, to compare URI and UConn (or even UMass) is comical. Both of those schools have much more resources than URI does. UConn is a BCS school, with tons of rabid fans that have been cultivated through the success of their basketball programs....they've got gobs of money coming in from numerous sources. UMass is just bigger than URI is. Much bigger in-state talnet base to draw from, and more supportive fans in general.

I still say that URI would be better off to drop football and start up ice hockey. They would be a candidate right off the bat to join Hockey East which includes BC, UMass, UNH, Maine and Vermont among others.

aceinthehole
December 14th, 2006, 08:58 AM
If Stowers' school were located in GA and he had immediate recruiting access to the wealth of FB talent in FL, I'm pretty sure results wouldn't be an issue.

I'm high skeptical that Rhody is permitted by the CAA-10 to offer less than 55 FB scholarships. If anyone has a link proving otherwise, please provide it. Looking at their expenses, I'd say that's certainly NOT the case.

I agree. They just played UConn and have played Cincy and othe I-A teams. They couldn't get those game if they didn't offer very near the 65 scholly limit!

89Hen
December 14th, 2006, 09:11 AM
You're just as likely to find a "rated" player from Rhode Island as you are from Delaware. In-state talent isn't the only factor in developing a football team. :twocents:
Of course it's not, but IMO we are the anomaly, not URI.

Ivytalk
December 14th, 2006, 09:18 AM
But they STILL have more electoral votes than Montana.... xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

:rolleyes:

And they have a Kennedy in Congress!:p :eek:

MplsBison
December 14th, 2006, 10:27 AM
First off, to compare URI and UConn (or even UMass) is comical. Both of those schools have much more resources than URI does. UConn is a BCS school, with tons of rabid fans that have been cultivated through the success of their basketball programs....they've got gobs of money coming in from numerous sources. UMass is just bigger than URI is. Much bigger in-state talnet base to draw from, and more supportive fans in general.

Well all 3 are the public flagships of their state. They shouldn't have problems getting state money.

And yes obviously UMass has a larger population base to draw from, but they also have more competition. BC, BU, Harvard, etc.

carney2
December 14th, 2006, 10:31 AM
And yes obviously UMass has a larger population base to draw from, but they also have more competition. BC, BU, Harvard, etc.

And Brown isn't competition? Ooops! Never mind. I lost my head there for a moment.

DinoDex200
December 14th, 2006, 10:34 AM

:eyebrow: You know Stowers was fired as the Ga. Southern head coach back in the mid-90's, right?

Granted, he won 1 National Title, but that was the year after Erk left...so it was mostly Erk's guys that did it. It was downhill from there.

henfan
December 14th, 2006, 10:51 AM
I agree. They just played UConn and have played Cincy and othe I-A teams. They couldn't get those game if they didn't offer very near the 65 scholly limit!

Good point, Ace.

I recall reading sometime in the last 1-2 years that the A-10 had a minimum requirement for its FB schools at 58 equivalancies.

Cobblestone
December 22nd, 2006, 10:37 AM
Interesting thread, I'm glad I stumbled on it. I'd like to contribute something since I have been involved with this program in different capacities for 20+ years.

Some of these points will be repeats but here it goes.

1. URI puts VERY little emphasis on its program. Basketball is all people at URI care about. They are obsessed with competing on the hardwood with Providence College who BTW does not have a football program.

2. High school football in R.I. is not of very high quality. Yes we get some good players here and there but those who are exceptional go to BC if they wish to stay close to home. With UCONN being in the Big East and playing I-A football they are now stealing a few R.I. high school players. But overall high school football in R.I. is not high caliber.

3. URI plays in a conference in which they have always had a difficult time competing. Since joining the A-10 we have ZERO playoff appearances. The last time we went to the playoffs was 1985 and at the time we were in the old Yankee Conference. I personally think we belong in the NEC or if America East forms a conference then we should apply for membership.

4. The new stands at URI were paid for almost exclusively by former players who got together and pulled out the checkbooks. They did a great job on the stands but so far have not helped attendance.

5. Tim Stowers is a nice guy and not a bad coach but he runs a very outdated brand of offense which by mid-season is predictable and can be stopped. The style of offense does not provide for coming back from behind after falling back by 2 TD's. I don't think the word defense is even in Tim' vocabulary.

6. Because there is little emphasis on the program we have a hard time getting quality recruits. The URI administration would consider a 6-5 season to be a major accomplishment. This doesn't exactly draw recruits who want to see their coach hoisting a National Championship trophy in the air.

7. Facilities. URI has not kept up with the times when it comes to strength training facilities. The current facilities are pretty outdated. URI could use a weight room like Jerry Azumah purchased for UNH.

8. Overall state support. URI is next door to UCONN but that is where the similarities stop. In CT. they celebrate EVERYTHING that is UCONN so state funding from the legislature is no problem. In R.I. the voters turned down a proposal to modify the stadium which is why the former players had to step up and collect the money privately.

These are some of the reasons why our program lags behind some of yours.

MplsBison
December 22nd, 2006, 12:54 PM
That's a shame that the public flagship university in the entire state can't get support.

But I suppose you're still better than Vermont.

Go...gate
December 22nd, 2006, 05:55 PM
Here is your problem. For some odd reason URI only offers 32 scholarships for football, instead of the alotted 65 buy the NCAA and almost every single one of those scholarships go to offensive players, leaving the defense in shambles. If the could ever stop anyone on the defensive side of the football they would be fine, but unfortunately they can't and are always forced to play catch up, that is a daunting task with that type of offense. They need to find a QB who can run the option affectively and throw the football with some efficiency, so they can atleast have a chance to make a comeback in games where they are down. Lastly they did a good job with the new home bleachers, now they need to fix up or even just repaint the visitors side because as it is right now is absolutely hidious.

Never knew this. How come the A-10 let them do it, and will the "new" CAA allow it? Maybe URI belongs in the NEC or Patriot League.

Mr. C
December 22nd, 2006, 09:43 PM
The school is not small or poor.

OPE says they spent 3 million dollars on football last year. That's more than a lot of teams.

Are you sure they only give 32 scholarships?

Maybe they need a complete coaching overhaul. Why hasn't the coach been fired for running that type of program?
Once again you show your almost total lack of knowledge about the FCS with comments about firing a coach. Head coach Tim Stowers received a contract extention of some length just last year. Stowers is one of only 21 coaches to win a national championship at this level (1990, Georgia Southern). He is getting about as much out of the program as possible. He has fewer resources than any other coach in the A-10/CAA. That is a fact. He is a very personable guy and his offense is near the top of the NCAA rushing statistics in most years. The Rams were 16th this season, third in 2005, fourth in 2004, second in 2003, 10th in 2002 and 10th in 2001, running the Georgia Southern spread option. The poster that said he puts all most all of his scholarships into offense is right, but then he also put most of his resources into offense at Georgia Southern too. He is an offensive coach. Stowers is doing the best he can in a tough league with limited resources. I'd like to see a lot of other coaches win with what he has to work with.

jmuroller
December 22nd, 2006, 09:50 PM

Your obviously have no clue if you think URI only offers 32 scholarships. The A-10/CAA has a rule that you must offer at least 58. They are talking about making it madatory to offer the full 63 soon.

Also I love it how a UNH fan is giving someone crap about how hidious their stadium is. You guys consider an upgrade adding white banners around the fence that say "UNH" and an "expansion" is adding bleachers in the endzone that go up 10 rows.

Mr. C
December 22nd, 2006, 09:56 PM
Interesting thread, I'm glad I stumbled on it. I'd like to contribute something since I have been involved with this program in different capacities for 20+ years.

5. Tim Stowers is a nice guy and not a bad coach but he runs a very outdated brand of offense which by mid-season is predictable and can be stopped. The style of offense does not provide for coming back from behind after falling back by 2 TD's. I don't think the word defense is even in Tim' vocabulary.

While I agree with almost all of your points, I have refute your fifth point. What is outdated about the option? As I pointed out in the post above this one, Rhode Island is among the top rushing teams in the nation every year. Georgia Southern was ranked in the top 10 for most of the 2005 season using that offense and went 8-4 on the year, finishing behind only two teams that went to the national semifinals (and the eventual national champion). This year, Georgia Southern got smart and dumped its antiquated offense. They finished 3-8, the worst record in school history. Nicholls State won the Southland automatic bid in 2005 running this offense. Both Georgia Southern and Nicholls State have been among the top rushing teams in the country each year with this offense in place. Navy has been making bowl appearances for three year in a row with this offense. Paul Johnson, Navy's coach lost only 10 games in like six years at Georgia Southern with this offense. Tim Landis at Bucknell was very successful running the offense at Davidson and has given Bucknell more success with it than it had prior to Landis' arrival. He has that program on the upswing. Yes, it is hard to come from behind with the true spread option, but give Stowers 63 scholarships and see what he could do. Maybe then, he could afford to put some players on defense. Just ask some defensive coordinators and head coaches around the country (as I have) if they like going up against this offense. They would love to see Rhode Island run anything else.

Mr. C
December 22nd, 2006, 10:03 PM
:eyebrow: You know Stowers was fired as the Ga. Southern head coach back in the mid-90's, right?

Granted, he won 1 National Title, but that was the year after Erk left...so it was mostly Erk's guys that did it. It was downhill from there.
I guess it was all downhill. FYI, Stowers finished third in the SoCon the year he was fired with a 9-4 record. The two SoCon teams that finished in front of Georgia Southern in 1995 were Appalachian State (11-0 regular season, ranked No. 2 nationally, finished 12-1) and Marshall (lost in the national championship game to maybe Montana's best team on a last-second field goal, beat No. 1 ranked McNeese State in Lake Charles in the semifinals). Stowers was fired by brand new AD Sam Baker after taking his team to the quarterfinals of the playoffs. I'll give my respect to ANY coach who wins a national championship, considering only 21 of them have ever done it at this level.

UNH 40
December 22nd, 2006, 10:05 PM
Your obviously have no clue if you think URI only offers 32 scholarships. The A-10/CAA has a rule that you must offer at least 58. They are talking about making it madatory to offer the full 63 soon.

Also I love it how a UNH fan is giving someone crap about how hidious their stadium is. You guys consider an upgrade adding white banners around the fence that say "UNH" and an "expansion" is adding bleachers in the endzone that go up 10 rows.

Hey I am just going on what I have been told by several people, including one whos best friend plays at URI and he has made the same claim. Whether it is 100% true or not I am not completely sure.

Yes UNH has a crap stadium I know that and I knew that when I played their. They have atleast made the effort to repaint the press box and replace the field surface.

DFW HOYA
December 22nd, 2006, 10:08 PM
Whern the option is good, it's very good. But if you don't have the players, it's an easy read for defenses.

Georgetown has run the option for three years and it's gained them all of two conference wins. The players aren't there to run it...yet.

As to the post above, I've also heard URI runs 30-40 scholarships. I believe there was an online article a few years ago discussing it.

Cobblestone
December 22nd, 2006, 10:14 PM
While I agree with almost all of your points, I have refute your fifth point. What is outdated about the option?

I think the way he executes it is a little too predictable, not much imagination and rather repetetive. True, Navy has had much success with it but they have better horses to do it with and run it more creatively. Tim needs to put MUCH more emphasis on passing. We have a 6'5" WR and a 6"6" TE but they are seldom thrown to, although they seem effective when they do get the ball. I'd like to see a more balanced offense from Stowers.

Truthfully, I don't see offense as our problem, as you stated we do put up good numbers on the ground each year. Our defense is horrible and FYI, we've been through three DC's the past 4 seasons. Whenever I have a conversation with Tim, he is willing to talk offense all day long but if I even mention the word defense he changes the subject.

Question Mr. C... what team is that in your avatar?

Mr. C
December 22nd, 2006, 10:23 PM
I think the way he executes it is a little too predictable, not much imagination and rather repetetive. True, Navy has had much success with it but they have better horses to do it with and run it more creatively. Tim needs to put MUCH more emphasis on passing. We have a 6'5" WR and a 6"6" TE but they are seldom thrown to, although they seem effective when they do get the ball. I'd like to see a more balanced offense from Stowers.

Truthfully, I don't see offense as our problem, as you stated we do put up good numbers on the ground each year. Our defense is horrible and FYI, we've been through three DC's the past 4 seasons. Whenever I have a conversation with Tim, he is willing to talk offense all day long but if I even mention the word defense he changes the subject.

Question Mr. C... what team is that in your avatar?
I have to laugh about the conversation with Tim about defense. I've had similar conversations with him. On the subject of passing, Tim had a player at Georgia Southern named Dexter Dawson, who was quite skilled at wide receiver. Dawson ended up playing professionally in the CFL and was also a fine kick returner. When Tim started doing some new things to get Dawson the ball, folks in Statesboro — who didn't like Tim because his last name wasn't Russell — started accusing him of bastardizing the spread option. "He doesn't run the spread option the way Erk ran it," was a common complaint.

The avatar is a Fresno State helmet from the early 1970s, when I was becoming a fan of my hometown (and later alma mater) Bulldogs.

jmuroller
December 22nd, 2006, 10:42 PM
Mr. C,

GSU got what they deserved this year. Ever since Erk left they have been chasing his ghost. I hope they win 3 games next year also.

MplsBison
December 23rd, 2006, 10:17 AM
The option is a horrible offensive scheme and URI needs to dump it for a pro style offense immediately.

jmuroller
December 23rd, 2006, 01:43 PM
The option is a horrible offensive scheme and URI needs to dump it for a pro style offense immediately.

Unpopular, yes....horrible, no.

PantherRob82
December 23rd, 2006, 02:02 PM
I love the option. Relying solely on the option doesn't seem to work too well anymore.

Mr. C
December 23rd, 2006, 06:41 PM
It worked great for Georgia Southern until this season and as I posted earlier, it has been very productive for a number of Division I teams. Wofford doesn't run the same version of the option that Georgia Southern did and Nicholls State, Bucknell and Central Connecticut does, but the Terriers were one of the top teams in the country from the middle part of the season on. And Mike Ayers' squad will be even better next year. I've had some fun conversations with him on how people keep denegrating the option. The more other people go away from it, the better for Wofford's chances of winning. Central Connecticut had the top rusher in the FCS this season and had a fine year as well. There is no question in my mind that you can still win big with the option as the centerpiece of your attack.

Mr. C
December 23rd, 2006, 06:47 PM
I guess being one of the top 10 rushing teams annually isn't a good thing? Did you not read any of the previous posts? Offense isn't Rhode Island's problem. Defense and lack of institutional support is the problem.

Pro style offense? Are you not aware that the NCAA champions in Division I, II and III ALL run offenses that are NOT pro style offenses? And all three of those schools (Appalachian State, Grand Valley State and Mount Union) are two-time defending champs. Pro style offense are for the NFL.

December 23rd, 2006, 07:05 PM
The option is a horrible offensive scheme...:rolleyes: Reading MplsBison is sometimes like reading from a Republican who recites Rush Limbaugh all day long... xlolx :nod:

aceinthehole
December 23rd, 2006, 08:57 PM
Whern the option is good, it's very good. But if you don't have the players, it's an easy read for defenses.

Georgetown has run the option for three years and it's gained them all of two conference wins. The players aren't there to run it...yet.

As to the post above, I've also heard URI runs 30-40 scholarships. I believe there was an online article a few years ago discussing it.

URI has played a few $$$ games vs. I-A teams. How could they have less than 58 schollys and be a counter for I-A team? I think people are confusing the poor performance on the field with their fiscal investment on paper. URI is a full I-AA team in the A-10/CAA that has struggled.

2002 - URI @ Syracuse (L, 63-17)
2003 - URI @ Cincinnati (L, 31-24)
2006 - URI @ Connecticut (L, 52-7)

DFW HOYA
December 23rd, 2006, 09:07 PM
URI has played a few $$$ games vs. I-A teams. How could they have less than 58 schollys and be a counter for I-A team?

Well, how did those five Patriot League vs I-A games get done, then?

Some I-A teams aren't in the running for a bowl and may just need a game, period.

Brad82
December 24th, 2006, 09:55 AM
URI beat UCONN in 2000.
You will never win with the pitch.

89Hen
December 24th, 2006, 10:01 AM
The only thing I will say about the option is how many teams have added the option over the last 10 years, and how many have dropped it? :eyebrow:

jmuroller
December 24th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Well, how did those five Patriot League vs I-A games get done, then?

Some I-A teams aren't in the running for a bowl and may just need a game, period.

Because those Patriot teams have 58 equivilancies. Enough financial aid is given to equal 58 schollies.

BearsCountry
December 24th, 2006, 02:46 PM
The only thing I will say about the option is how many teams have added the option over the last 10 years, and how many have dropped it? :eyebrow:

How many have went to the spread formation? That has a ton of option in and its the new sexy offense to run.

Brad82
December 24th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Merry Christmas!

you will never win with the pitch.

DFW HOYA
December 24th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Because those Patriot teams have 58 equivilancies. Enough financial aid is given to equal 58 schollies.

Not all of those teams did at the time (e.g., Bucknell), but I think you get the point.

jmuroller
December 24th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Merry Christmas!

you will never win with the pitch.

Are you sure about that?

How about Oklahoma in the late 80's and early 90's. or..
How about all the great Nebraska teams? Tommie Frazier looked pretty good running it.
How did Georgia Southern win those 6 Nat'l Championships?
Darryl Royal and Texas ran it pretty good back in the days.
What about all the great Army and Navy teams from middle of the 20th century?

I could go on longer, but I think you get the point. To say you never will win the option is completely ignorant

The thing about the veer/triple option is that it's not sexy anymore. Just not popular with the boosters and alumni. It worked 20 and 30 years ago, and it would work today.

If you look at what Rodriguez at WVU and Meyer Florida are doing, basically all it is the triple option out of the shotgun. The QB reads the end and either gives it to the tailback or keeps it. He then can run it or pitch it. You are still giving the defense fits by having 3 options and the alumni are happy because you are in the shotgun and not under center.

Brad82
December 24th, 2006, 07:18 PM
JMU-you are right never is to strong a word-we almost beat the Dukes,I believe it was a few fumbles due to the pitch that we lost? How many games do you think Rhody will win next year?

bobbythekidd
December 24th, 2006, 07:27 PM
JMU-you are right never is to strong a word-we almost beat the Dukes,I believe it was a few fumbles due to the pitch that we lost? How many games do you think Rhody will win next year?
2 or 3.

JohnStOnge
December 24th, 2006, 08:23 PM
It's amazing to me that anyone who follows I-AA/CS football, a subdivision in which Georgia Southern won 6 national championships running it and which averaged 470 yards as well as 38 points per game in 2005 running pure option can say that option football doesn't work.

As far as the argument that you can't attract NFL-type talent: You don't need NFL type talent. The option offense takes a different kind of quarterback and a different kind of offensive lineman.

Georgia Southern was never a top producer of NFL talent among I-AAs. But I'd take 6 national championships and the kind of consistent winning Georgia Southern had when it was running that offense over being a top NFL talent producer any day.

I heard the other day that Paul Johnson's name had come up in association with the Alabama job. I know it won't happen but I'd love to see him get that job and be allowed to run his offense. I think what'd happen is that he'd pretty much have his pick of the top option style players coming out of high school because they'd have no other place to go. I think he'd tear the SEC up and put the lie to the myth that option football can't work at that level (though, actually, it should've been put to rest long ago because of the way Tom Osborne's Nebraska teams consistently whipped top SEC squads...really badly most of the time...running option oriented offenses).

MplsBison
December 25th, 2006, 11:20 AM
I guess being one of the top 10 rushing teams annually isn't a good thing?

It doesn't mean much to be top in rushing if you aren't winning.

Also, being the top rusher in the NEC doesn't say much.

UAalum72
December 25th, 2006, 11:35 AM
What does the NEC have to do with Rhode Island? Or was that just a gratuitous insult to the NEC on your general principles?

DFW HOYA
December 25th, 2006, 11:52 AM

As opposed, say, to the second best receiver in the NEC?

In 2005, that was Miles Austin of Monmouth. Today, he's the top kick returner for the Dallas Cowboys.

MplsBison
December 25th, 2006, 12:18 PM
I didn't say they weren't good players.

If they played in the CAA or Gateway, they wouldn't be the top stat guys.

jmuroller
December 25th, 2006, 01:20 PM

First of all there was no "almost" in our game. The only reason you weren't blown out in that game is because we couldn't stop the option. You might want to pay attention a little more to the game instead of complaining about the offense so much.

If you think URI's problem is the option, then you need to take another look around. If you don't like the option, that's fine. But if you think that is why you have a terrible program then you need to spend more energy on something else.

As to how many game will URI win next year. 4 max

th0m
December 25th, 2006, 05:55 PM
I remember all the fourth down conversion in the URI game...that was insane. Close or not, I was happy to win that game and move on to next week. And to think that some of the announcers thought we had gotten some good preperation from VMI the week before...Ha!

Mr. C
December 25th, 2006, 08:53 PM
It doesn't mean much to be top in rushing if you aren't winning.

Being near the top in rushing is a good start towards having a winning team. Anyone who knows squat about football will tell you that. Your point has been that URI is not winning because it uses the option. Obviously you are clueless about football.

Some people thought enough of Justice Hairston to name him as an All-American. Winning an NCAA statistical title in ANY category is quite an accomplishment, no matter what conference you play in.

To be quite honest, almost every post you have made around here DOESN'T SAY MUCH. Maybe you ought to post less and read more, so you would learn more about the FCS.

Mr. C
December 25th, 2006, 08:56 PM
It doesn't mean that it was smart to drop the option. Just ask the folks at Georgia Southern. I bet there are more than a few folks that would like to see the Winged T back at Delaware, too. Different doesn't mean better.

MR. CHICKEN
December 25th, 2006, 10:14 PM
AHHHHH!.......DUH WING-T..........NOW WE TALKIN'...PIGGY......:nod:...AWK!

Kill'em
December 25th, 2006, 10:39 PM
More than Wyoming's...and they do okay. :nod:

It's close but Stowers has been known to use a tight end occasionally.

Kill'em
December 25th, 2006, 10:47 PM
5. Tim Stowers is a nice guy and not a bad coach but he runs a very outdated brand of offense which by mid-season is predictable and can be stopped. Sorry, but you are wrong. It was hard for most teams to stop us even if they face us year in and year out. Lots of factors play into running the triple option and stopping it.
The style of offense does not provide for coming back from behind after falling back by 2 TD's.
The offense is designed to get you ahead so you don't have to worry about playing catch-up.;)

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 25th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Remember that Tim Stowers is a former GSU coach that was fired for not performing up to standards. I wouldn't consider the offense that he runs comparable to the one that Jerry Moore is now running at App State and that Paul Johnson ran at GSU and now runs at Navy. What Stowers runs is close to pure smash-nose, run-and-gun football.

Kill'em
December 25th, 2006, 10:50 PM
I guess it was all downhill. FYI, Stowers finished third in the SoCon the year he was fired with a 9-4 record. The two SoCon teams that finished in front of Georgia Southern in 1995 were Appalachian State (11-0 regular season, ranked No. 2 nationally, finished 12-1) and Marshall (lost in the national championship game to maybe Montana's best team on a last-second field goal, beat No. 1 ranked McNeese State in Lake Charles in the semifinals). Stowers was fired by brand new AD Sam Baker after taking his team to the quarterfinals of the playoffs. I'll give my respect to ANY coach who wins a national championship, considering only 21 of them have ever done it at this level.
Agreed. The problem Stowes had was that he followed Erk. Most schools would have loved to have had his record at Georgia Southern.

Kill'em
December 25th, 2006, 10:54 PM
I have to laugh about the conversation with Tim about defense. I've had similar conversations with him. On the subject of passing, Tim had a player at Georgia Southern named Dexter Dawson, who was quite skilled at wide receiver. Dawson ended up playing professionally in the CFL and was also a fine kick returner. When Tim started doing some new things to get Dawson the ball, folks in Statesboro — who didn't like Tim because his last name wasn't Russell — started accusing him of bastardizing the spread option. "He doesn't run the spread option the way Erk ran it," was a common complaint.

The avatar is a Fresno State helmet from the early 1970s, when I was becoming a fan of my hometown (and later alma mater) Bulldogs.
Agreed. The problem Stowers had was that he followed Erk. Most schools would love to have the success he had at Georgia Southern. Sewak was victimized by this for following P.J..

Kill'em
December 25th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Mr. C,

GSU got what they deserved this year. Ever since Erk left they have been chasing his ghost. I hope they win 3 games next year also.
xidiotx :nonono2::nono:
I'm not going to say more.

BigApp
December 26th, 2006, 10:18 AM
It's close but Stowers has been known to use a tight end occasionally.

ummmm...I.........errrrrrrrrrr.....ahhhhhhhhhhhh.. ..hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

:eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

Kill'em
December 26th, 2006, 12:24 PM
ummmm...I.........errrrrrrrrrr.....ahhhhhhhhhhhh.. ..hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

:eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:
Yes, Stowers did "tweak" the offense. He used a tight end and even the shotgun while at Georgia Southern. I've seen him use other formations at Rhode Island. One of the first things Paul Johnson said when he came back is that we were running the offense incorrectly so he scrapped the shotgun and made the tight end and defensive end.

Franks Tanks
December 26th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Yes, Stowers did "tweak" the offense. He used a tight end and even the shotgun while at Georgia Southern. I've seen him use other formations at Rhode Island. One of the first things Paul Johnson said when he came back is that we were running the offense incorrectly so he scrapped the shotgun and made the tight end and defensive end.

Can you please elaborate as to what the hell this means "so he scrapped the shotgun and made the tight end and defensive end" Just wondering. Also their is no wrong way to run an offense, just different wrinkles that individual coaches with their own ideas may favor

MplsBison
December 26th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Being near the top in rushing is a good start towards having a winning team.

Is Rhode Island near the top in rushing? Do they have a winning team?

Winning an NCAA statistical title in ANY category is quite an accomplishment, no matter what conference you play in.

It's a meaningless statistic if not all conferences are on a level playing field.

Obviously conferences like the PFL and NEC are weaker than the autobid conferences.

UAalum72
December 26th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Obviously conferences like the PFL and NEC are weaker than the autobid conferences.

What does this have to do with Rhode Island?

Kill'em
December 27th, 2006, 07:28 AM
Can you please elaborate as to what the hell this means "so he scrapped the shotgun and made the tight end and defensive end" Just wondering. Also their is no wrong way to run an offense, just different wrinkles that individual coaches with their own ideas may favor
Alright, while Stowers was successful, the offensive numbers were way down which, in turn, meant wins were down. In order to shake up the offense, he installed the shotgun and added the tight end to add more meat to the line. When Paul Johnson was hired as Head Coach (he created the spread option formation) he said it was not being run correctly, meaning, using shotguns and tigh ends. Neither are used in his offense... at all. The numbers in Johnson's first yea, alone was a big improvement. In his second year he was one loss in the Finals from our second 15-0 season. By his third year the team averaged 50 ppg and won the title.

Stowers was a better coach than most at Georgia Southern will ever give credit, but P.J's record speaks for itself. The previous post was not a slam on Stowers, but just telling what P.J. said about the new "wrinkles."

Oh yeah, the tight end, Reggie Garland was moved to defensive end where he was very productive.

Franks Tanks
December 27th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Alright, while Stowers was successful, the offensive numbers were way down which, in turn, meant wins were down. In order to shake up the offense, he installed the shotgun and added the tight end to add more meat to the line. When Paul Johnson was hired as Head Coach (he created the spread option formation) he said it was not being run correctly, meaning, using shotguns and tigh ends. Neither are used in his offense... at all. The numbers in Johnson's first yea, alone was a big improvement. In his second year he was one loss in the Finals from our second 15-0 season. By his third year the team averaged 50 ppg and won the title.

Stowers was a better coach than most at Georgia Southern will ever give credit, but P.J's record speaks for itself. The previous post was not a slam on Stowers, but just telling what P.J. said about the new "wrinkles."

Oh yeah, the tight end, Reggie Garland was moved to defensive end where he was very productive.

Thanks for the explanation, and I dont think anyone coaches the option attack like Johnson, Ive never seen anyone do it better than his teams.

Mr. C
December 27th, 2006, 12:14 PM

It is so refreshing to see someone from Georgia Southern give Tim Stowers some proper do. Erk Russell obviously is one of the greatest, if not the greatest I-AA coach of all-time and Paul Johnson is routinely considered by his PEERS to be one of the best coaches in the business, particularly for the adjustments he makes during games. I've never seen another guy better at making adjustments and a lot of coaches I talk to say the same about PJ. Why he isn't coaching at a major program flabbergasts me. North Carolina State made a HUGE mistake by not hiring him and Alabama is another team that is really missing out. Anyway, I digress from the original point about Stowers. He made some good moves at Georgia Southern and NO ONE was going to live up to Russell's standards. Anyone who wins a national championship has my respect as a coach. The fact that Georgia Southern might have slipped a little in the 1990s also had to do with the fact that the Eagles entered a very good conference (anyone remember that Stowers WON the SoCon title in his first year in 1993) and were competing against some mighty fine Appalachian State and Marshall teams. Sometimes fans don't give opponents their proper due. Marshall had maybe the most talented program in I-AA history at that time and ASU had those Dexter Coakley-led teams. You give Tim Stowers some talent to work with and his system will still win games for you. He has won way more than he should have won at Rhode Island.

Kill'em
December 27th, 2006, 03:29 PM
You are right about that, Mr. C. Stowers had all that to deal with and more. In addition to entering the SoCon at, perhaps when it was the top conference in the division, and following Erk, I believe I-AA had caught up to Georgia Southern. We used to beat teams with pure speed but by the early 90's, I-AA teams started getting the 300 lb linemen that only I-A had before. Montana and Marshall were great examples. They had huge lines that killed us on both sides of the ball. I also think teams got faster because we looked a step slower.