PDA

View Full Version : USD coaching search

clenz
December 8th, 2015, 02:50 PM
Western Illinois HC Bob Neilson interviewing for it.

He's a guy I'd think could get things moving in Vermillion

NoDak 4 Ever
December 8th, 2015, 02:51 PM
Is it a better job? Seems like recruiting would be an uphill battle.

clenz
December 8th, 2015, 02:51 PM
It's not at WIU?

NoDak 4 Ever
December 8th, 2015, 02:55 PM
It's not at WIU?

I'd rather fight it out for recruits against the ISU's than the DSUs Not to mention UNI.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess UNI is a problem either way

Bisonator
December 8th, 2015, 02:56 PM
Probably sees more potential at USD then WIU. Certainly money and facility wise anyway.

BisonTru
December 8th, 2015, 02:56 PM

I think USD needs to dominate NE and KS similar to what NDSU does with MN and WI. They'll have some competition with the other Dakotas, but their location is closer than any. Vermilion isn't the most attractive town, but being close enough to home where your parents can attend most/all home games is a big factor to some.

goyotes
December 8th, 2015, 03:03 PM
Football Scoop reports that Nielson and Kalen DeBoer (former HC with multiple NAIA national championships at U Sioux Falls and then OC at Southern Illinois and presently OC at Eastern Michigan) are among those interviewing.

Have also heard some message board chatter about John Wristen (who built CSU-Pueblo football program from scratch starting in 2007 to winning D2 national championship in 2014), Glenn Caruso (was OC for one year at USD and then to head coach at St Thomas in Mpls, which he has built into a annual D3 contender) and Jed Stugart (currently at U Sioux Falls and was on Joe Glenn's staff at Northern Colorado)

centennial
December 8th, 2015, 03:22 PM
Football Scoop reports that Nielson and Kalen DeBoer (former HC with multiple NAIA national championships at U Sioux Falls and then OC at Southern Illinois and presently OC at Eastern Michigan) are among those interviewing.

Have also heard some message board chatter about John Wristen (who built CSU-Pueblo football program from scratch starting in 2007 to winning D2 national championship in 2014), Glenn Caruso (was OC for one year at USD and then to head coach at St Thomas in Mpls, which he has built into a annual D3 contender) and Jed Stugart (currently at U Sioux Falls and was on Joe Glenn's staff at Northern Colorado)
No idea why Nielson would want to move within the conference. Is USD really that much better than WIU?

TheKingpin28
December 8th, 2015, 03:30 PM
Didnt he coach at UMD? If so, does he have ties there that could increase the USD footprint and tell the recruits who want to stay close to home, that they would have that chance, plus a D1 VS D2

Yote 53
December 8th, 2015, 03:31 PM
The state of Illinois has budget issues that is affecting its universities. Scuttle over at the WIU message board is them discussing moving down to non-scholarship football or down to D2. Contrast that with USD who is in the midst of a building boom in athletic facilities, increasing its athletic budget, and has committed to offering COA for all its student-athletes. Which position would you rather be in as a head coach, one with increasing resources or one with decreasing resources?

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 8th, 2015, 06:49 PM
No idea why Nielson would want to move within the conference. Is USD really that much better than WIU?

Maybe?

Towns are comparable. Recruiting áreas are different. He must think USD is a better opportunity.

Twentysix
December 8th, 2015, 07:05 PM
The state of Illinois has budget issues that is affecting its universities. Scuttle over at the WIU message board is them discussing moving down to non-scholarship football or down to D2. Contrast that with USD who is in the midst of a building boom in athletic facilities, increasing its athletic budget, and has committed to offering COA for all its student-athletes. Which position would you rather be in as a head coach, one with increasing resources or one with decreasing resources?

Makes some sense, but in conference it doesn't seem like that big of a jump.

Moving from HC at WIU to HC at NDSU or UNI would make sense. But to USD?

dewey
December 8th, 2015, 07:25 PM

If Bob Nielson is interviewing for the job isn't that a no brainer?

Dewey

Laker
December 8th, 2015, 07:41 PM

I asked the St. Thomas parents at their playoff game Saturday about Caruso. He is getting big bucks there- has it made in the shade. It is possible that he would go to USD but probably not. Of course he told them what they wanted to hear but with this deep playoff run for the Tommies and the chance to win a national title I don't think that he is leaving- yet.

Stutgart at USF is pretty much the same. I can see him going to SDSU when Stiggy retires as a possibility.

I can see DeBoer taking it.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 8th, 2015, 09:03 PM
I asked the St. Thomas parents at their playoff game Saturday about Caruso. He is getting big bucks there- has it made in the shade. It is possible that he would go to USD but probably not. Of course he told them what they wanted to hear but with this deep playoff run for the Tommies and the chance to win a national title I don't think that he is leaving- yet.

Stutgart at USF is pretty much the same. I can see him going to SDSU when Stiggy retires as a possibility.

I agree with your Caruso assessment. St. Thomas could easily move up to D2 and be a very good team.....money, facilities and great recruiting área in the cities.

Houndawg
December 8th, 2015, 11:40 PM

Hope he gets it, he stunk the joint up at SIU.

BisonTru
December 8th, 2015, 11:58 PM

Eh.... Every coach says the same thing, "I like it here, my family's here, we like the community, we like the fans."

I don't know what they are paying him, but most move ups are a pay raise. Add in the opportunity, if he makes USD a national contender he could be looking at some FBS offers that come with multi million dollar guarantees.

Bisonoline
December 9th, 2015, 12:00 AM
Eh.... Every coach says the same thing, "I like it here, my family's here, we like the community, we like the fans."

I don't know what they are paying him, but most move ups are a pay raise. Add in the opportunity, if he makes USD a national contender he could be looking at some FBS offers that come with multi million dollar guarantees.

Bohl said that also. Along with a few other superlatives.

leatherneck177
December 9th, 2015, 08:09 AM

I'd hate to see him go. Would be a major blow to the program as I feel like it is trending upward. He must not be happy with something at Western.

leatherneck177
December 9th, 2015, 08:14 AM

News to me about a move to non-scholarship or D2. I think when Western was down a couple years ago some fans mentioned it so we could have sustained success. True about budgetary issues within Illinois, but what school doesn't have budget issues in Illinois?

ST_Lawson
December 9th, 2015, 08:40 AM
News to me about a move to non-scholarship or D2. I think when Western was down a couple years ago some fans mentioned it so we could have sustained success. True about budgetary issues within Illinois, but what school doesn't have budget issues in Illinois?

It was brought back up on our board a few weeks or so ago, but really it was just some people tossing around ideas of ways to save money. I have not heard any mention from anyone in (or connected to) any decision-making process that it's an option that's even on the table at this point.

cpacmel
December 9th, 2015, 09:22 AM
Neilson could be leveraging this into a new deal at WIU.

ST_Lawson
December 9th, 2015, 10:01 AM
Neilson could be leveraging this into a new deal at WIU.

That was also a thought that I had. Go out, get some offers, come back and see if Western can match or at least improve upon the current contract (which was originally set to be up December 31st, 2016). Possibly looking at the AD position as well (something he did at UM-Duluth). We've had an interim AD for the last year.

Bisonator
December 9th, 2015, 10:18 AM
That was also a thought that I had. Go out, get some offers, come back and see if Western can match or at least improve upon the current contract (which was originally set to be up December 31st, 2016). Possibly looking at the AD position as well (something he did at UM-Duluth). We've had an interim AD for the last year.

So he's going into a lame duck year with no contract extension?

ST_Lawson
December 9th, 2015, 10:32 AM
So he's going into a lame duck year with no contract extension?

Well, the idea is that they're probably trying to work something out right now...contract extension...pay increase...etc. so that we can keep him around.

jacksfan29
December 9th, 2015, 11:17 AM

Where is the power now located in the Summit and to a lesser extent the Valley? The three "Dakota" schools are all doing things the others are not. Spending lots of money on our programs. In addition, lets just say an FBS split occurs and the G5 schools are thrown in with the upper FCS schools. To ensure you are at the second level where do you go? WIU or USD?

I think Nielson is looking to the future and that future is not at WIU.

leatherneck177
December 9th, 2015, 12:03 PM
Where is the power now located in the Summit and to a lesser extent the Valley? The three "Dakota" schools are all doing things the others are not. Spending lots of money on our programs. In addition, lets just say an FBS split occurs and the G5 schools are thrown in with the upper FCS schools. To ensure you are at the second level where do you go? WIU or USD?

I think Nielson is looking to the future and that future is not at WIU.

I don't believe WIU is a bad job. Let's not get carried away here. No it is not NDSU, SDSU or some of the other flagship programs in the conference, however it is a job that has appeal and has attracted great coaches and developed other good ones.

A couple things come to mind like ST mentioned:

1. Contract runs out end of 2016, negotiation for a new one. What is the market for a MVFC head coach?
2. Did he intend or was it laid out for him to at some point become WIU AD? I think there is a strong possibility with this one, especially since we have had an interim AD for quite some time. Perhaps the budget is not allowing for Nielson to assume that role and he is ready to bolt.
3. Wants to be closer to home MN.

Either way, even if you are looking for leverage, it is one thing to be contacted by USD to interview, another to actually interview for the job.

cpacmel
December 9th, 2015, 12:26 PM
The three "Dakota" schools are all doing things the others are not. Spending lots of money on our programs.

North Dakota State is the highest paying job in the MVFC.

The 2 lowest? USD and SDSU.

A matter of fact, this past year you could add Stiegelmeier and Glenn's salaries together, it still wouldn't equal Farley's.

Nielson's salary is about 40K more at WIU than what Glenn made last year.

clenz
December 9th, 2015, 12:38 PM

Not true

Yote 53
December 9th, 2015, 12:41 PM
USD is prepared to pay a much higher salary than Glenn was receiving. We pretty much know we are going to have to do so to attract somebody of quality.

BisonFan02
December 9th, 2015, 01:29 PM
Not true

Nope, its not.... xlolx Not at the HC level anyway.

clenz
December 9th, 2015, 03:35 PM
Possibly interesting to note

Northwestern (in Orange City) HC Kyle Achterhoff and DC Tyler Knobloch both resigned today...

As a HC at NW

Year
GPAC
Overall

8-1 (1st)
9-2
playoff qualifier; 12th

7-2 (T2nd)
8-3
playoff qualifier; 13th

7-2 (2nd)
9-3
playoff qualifier; 12th

7-2 (T2nd)
9-2
17th in final NAIA poll

8-2 (3rd)
8-2
15th in final NAIA poll

7-3 (4th)
7-3
25th in final NAIA poll

Overall
44-12 (.786)
50-15 (.769)

cpacmel
December 9th, 2015, 04:05 PM
Not true

You are probably right

Farley is at 344K
http://www.press-citizen.com/story/news/local/2015/02/08/sally-mason-president-emeritus-iowa-salary-state-employee/23086369/

Klieman is at 326K, but with bonuses he around 350K
http://www.wdaz.com/sports/3664398-ndsu-adds-two-years-chris-kliemans-contract-throughout-2021-season

NoDak 4 Ever
December 9th, 2015, 04:06 PM
It's not so much the NDSU HC salary, it's the built in guarantee of upper tier assistant salary that makes it so attractive.

Yote 53
December 9th, 2015, 04:08 PM
Possibly interesting to note

Northwestern (in Orange City) HC Kyle Achterhoff and DC Tyler Knobloch both resigned today...

As a HC at NW

Year

GPAC

Overall

8-1 (1st)

9-2

playoff qualifier; 12th

7-2 (T2nd)

8-3

playoff qualifier; 13th

7-2 (2nd)

9-3

playoff qualifier; 12th

7-2 (T2nd)

9-2

17th in final NAIA poll

8-2 (3rd)

8-2

15th in final NAIA poll

7-3 (4th)

7-3

25th in final NAIA poll

Overall

44-12 (.786)

50-15 (.769)

Trolling pretty hard there aren't ya Clenz?

clenz
December 9th, 2015, 04:36 PM
Trolling pretty hard there aren't ya Clenz?
How was that trolling?

mmiller_34
December 9th, 2015, 06:28 PM
How was that trolling?

Yah, I don't understand how that is trolling either. It's odd that two successful coaches are resigning, unless they were offered a job at a higher level. Pretty straightforward.

clenz
December 9th, 2015, 06:44 PM
Yah, I don't understand how that is trolling either. It's odd that two successful coaches are resigning, unless they were offered a job at a higher level. Pretty straightforward.

Your 53 is pretty easy to troll but this wasn't even an attempt

It seemed slightly intriguing that a coach who took NW from real bad to pretty damn good, is in the exact same recruiting foot print, with connections to the same HS programs in NW Iowa, and his DC, we're both resigning when smaller level coaches were already being discussed as candidates

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 10th, 2015, 07:35 AM
It's not so much the NDSU HC salary, it's the built in guarantee of upper tier assistant salary that makes it so attractive.

This here.

jacksfan29
December 10th, 2015, 09:04 AM
What is the cost of living in Vermillion and Brookings compared to elsewhere? In addition, Glenn took a very low salary while, as Yote53 states the new coach will be in the area of $250K. THe spending is on facilities, etc. The directional schools in Illinois are getting hammered by the state budget issues. What would you do? I would look hard at a school who seemed to be on the upswing; not stay in a situation that could get worse if things aren't cleared up.

The 2 lowest? USD and SDSU.

A matter of fact, this past year you could add Stiegelmeier and Glenn's salaries together, it still wouldn't equal Farley's.

Nielson's salary is about 40K more at WIU than what Glenn made last year.

ST_Lawson
December 10th, 2015, 09:16 AM
What is the cost of living in Vermillion and Brookings compared to elsewhere? In addition, Glenn took a very low salary while, as Yote53 states the new coach will be in the area of $250K. THe spending is on facilities, etc. The directional schools in Illinois are getting hammered by the state budget issues. What would you do? I would look hard at a school who seemed to be on the upswing; not stay in a situation that could get worse if things aren't cleared up.

Cost of living is about the same or slightly higher in Vermillion and Brookings than it is in Macomb:
http://www.areavibes.com/cost-of-living-calculator/macomb,+il-vs-vermillion,+sd/
http://www.areavibes.com/cost-of-living-calculator/macomb,+il-vs-brookings,+sd/

I can't argue with the budget issues thing. It's a problem that most of the state schools are dealing with in Illinois.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 10th, 2015, 09:19 AM
Cost of living is about the same or slightly higher in Vermillion and Brookings than it is in Macomb:
http://www.areavibes.com/cost-of-living-calculator/macomb,+il-vs-vermillion,+sd/
http://www.areavibes.com/cost-of-living-calculator/macomb,+il-vs-brookings,+sd/

I can't argue with the budget issues thing. It's a problem that most of the state schools are dealing with in Illinois.

Too much spending and not enough belt tightening in Ill?

Sycamore62
December 10th, 2015, 09:20 AM
I think all these coaches they they are the greatest ever and they are the answer to any program. and every program we talk about is about 3 years from getting better or going in the dump and every coach is within about 2 years from a better job or getting fired

Sycamore62
December 10th, 2015, 09:21 AM

not even close to how it is here.

we make the feds look like an analogy that i cant think of or would get banned for.

ST_Lawson
December 10th, 2015, 09:22 AM

Decades of politicians (both sides) taking money out of the pension fund for other projects, then not paying it back. Now, underfunded state pensions are the majority of the problem (not all of it...but most of it).

Sycamore62
December 10th, 2015, 09:39 AM
Decades of politicians (both sides) taking money out of the pension fund for other projects, then not paying it back. Now, underfunded state pensions are the majority of the problem (not all of it...but most of it).

that plus medicawhatever is basically the whole problem.

Yote 53
December 10th, 2015, 12:47 PM
How was that trolling?

You have a history. You were saying a week or two ago that USD recruits prefer to go to Augie, USF, and Northwestern and that USD gets what remains. Then you come in implying that the Northwestern coach is in the running for the USD job. You have a consistent history of equating USD with the D2 and NAIA schools in this area, like we are on the same level. That's why I called you out for trolling.

clenz
December 10th, 2015, 12:55 PM
You have a history. You were saying a week or two ago that USD recruits prefer to go to Augie, USF, and Northwestern and that USD gets what remains. Then you come in implying that the Northwestern coach is in the running for the USD job. You have a consistent history of equating USD with the D2 and NAIA schools in this area, like we are on the same level. That's why I called you out for trolling.
Others brought up D3 coaches being in the running and no talk about trolling

I thought it was interesting a coach, in the exact same footprint, that has shown he can be successful in places that others haven't been, was resigning and could potentially be intriguing to watch.

ST_Lawson
December 10th, 2015, 04:07 PM
Nothing official, but the buzz on twitter is that we will be looking for a new head coach very soon.

F'N Hawks
December 10th, 2015, 04:09 PM
Nothing official, but the buzz on twitter is that we will be looking for a new head coach very soon.

I think so. Supposedly, he drove to Vermillion sometime in the past week. That guy is something else, the more I hear about him.....but he wins.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 10th, 2015, 04:10 PM

State should go bankrupt then all those generous, Cadillac pensions could be reworked.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 10th, 2015, 04:13 PM

Coach Nielson has WIU trending up. Personally, I think WIU is a better job with the recruiting area that WIU can draw from but maybe USD can offer more.....

goyotes
December 10th, 2015, 04:14 PM
Appears like Nielson is the man https://twitter.com/mickgarry/status/675072556693626880

ST_Lawson
December 10th, 2015, 04:16 PM
State should go bankrupt then all those generous, Cadillac pensions could be reworked.

Wouldn't have been a problem if the lawmakers hadn't started taking money out of the fund. At this rate the money that goes into it from my paycheck will be gone by the time I retire.

ST_Lawson
December 10th, 2015, 04:22 PM
https://i.imgur.com/c4jt321.png

Daytripper
December 10th, 2015, 04:26 PM

So screw the people who put money into them their whole careers based on a good faith employment contract?

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 10th, 2015, 04:30 PM
So screw the people who put money into them their whole careers based on a good faith employment contract?

Tough luck. State is bankrupt. Pay your own pension, like non-state employees.

ST_Lawson
December 10th, 2015, 04:32 PM
Tough luck. State is bankrupt. Pay your own pension, like non-state employees.

Where do you think the majority of the money came from....out of our own damn paychecks. WE ARE PAYING OUR OWN PENSIONS!!!

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 10th, 2015, 04:36 PM
Where do you think the majority of the money came from....out of our own damn paychecks. WE ARE PAYING OUR OWN PENSIONS!!!

And the state matches it......like I said earlier....Cadillac pension plans that go no where....

- - - Updated - - -

Appears like Nielson is the man https://twitter.com/mickgarry/status/675072556693626880

If it is true, then it is a very good hire for USD.

goyotes
December 10th, 2015, 04:40 PM
Don't know how it works in Illinois, but in SD, state employees are required to contribute 6% of their salary to the SD retirement fund and the state matches it.

Also, pretty much all non government retirement plans also include a provision to match a portion of the employees retirement plan contributions, typically up o the first 3 - 5% of salary.

centennial
December 10th, 2015, 04:42 PM
I cannot even believe how ridiculous this is. Just wonder how bad things have to be. Completely inane.

Laker
December 10th, 2015, 04:46 PM
Scoop says Nielson.

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop

Drblankstare
December 10th, 2015, 05:16 PM
It's a good hire for sure, feel bad for the Necks.

ISUMatt
December 10th, 2015, 05:21 PM
Wow, Western has a good team returning!

ISUMatt

ST_Lawson
December 10th, 2015, 05:31 PM
And the state matches it......like I said earlier....Cadillac pension plans that go no where.....

Depends on the plan, but for most people (in Illinois), 8% and if you leave before retirement, no matching...state puts in nothing.
If you stick around until retirement (who knows what they'll set that number at by the time it's all said and done) it depends on what your salary was.
Also, no social security.

PantherRob82
December 10th, 2015, 05:35 PM
I think this is a smart move for Nielson.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 10th, 2015, 05:39 PM
Depends on the plan, but for most people (in Illinois), 8% and if you leave before retirement, no matching...state puts in nothing.
If you stick around until retirement (who knows what they'll set that number at by the time it's all said and done) it depends on what your salary was.

It sucks...I would be pissed to if I was a state employee of Illinois. If states are going to set up generous pensions, then they need to fund it and not "steal" from it...if that was what the state of Ill was doing. But should the taxpayers of ILL "bail" out the state employees now? They have contributed once now should they be asked to do it again?

My view is one coming from saving retirement for myself. Working for myself has always made me reliant on....me.

States are in a "pickle" with situations like this.

Laker
December 10th, 2015, 06:12 PM

No social security in Illinois? How does that work? Not that I'm depending on any myself. The very thing that they talked about helping people, and they help themselves to it. My trust in government is like an old Robert Downey, Jr. movie- Less Than Zero.

ST_Lawson
December 10th, 2015, 06:28 PM
It sucks...I would be pissed to if I was a state employee of Illinois. If states are going to set up generous pensions, then they need to fund it and not "steal" from it...if that was what the state of Ill was doing. But should the taxpayers of ILL "bail" out the state employees now? They have contributed once now should they be asked to do it again?

My view is one coming from saving retirement for myself. Working for myself has always made me reliant on....me.

States are in a "pickle" with situations like this.

That is what the state has been doing..."borrowing" from the pension fund to pay for other things...then...never paying it back. I do understand your perspective, my dad was a small business owner for over 25 years and I did work in the private sector for about 7 years prior to working at Western. I don't think regular taxpayers should be asked to bail out the pension fund either...it's not fair to ask them to do that. I'm just pissed that the government has let it get to this point, when people have been warning against it for decades. And to bring things back to the thread topic...I'm pissed that it got to the point where the state universities are so poorly supported that we can't hold on to good coaches when they get other offers (excluding big pay jumps from moving up to FBS, of course...hard for any FCS to compete with that).

No social security in Illinois? How does that work? Not that I'm depending on any myself. The very thing that they talked about helping people, and they help themselves to it. My trust in government is like an old Robert Downey, Jr. movie- Less Than Zero.

Employees of the universities in Illinois do not pay into social security (and conversely, do not receive anything in return when we retire). We pay 8% (for most plans) of our paychecks into SURS (State University Retirement System) which was supposed to be invested and saved and upon retirement, pay back a percentage of your salary every year. Private employees pay into the regular social security system that most people in the US do.

goyotes
December 10th, 2015, 06:45 PM
Latest from football scoop says that Nielson met with his players and acknowledged that he has been offered the head coaching position at USD, but has not accepted the offer at this time.

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop

ST_Lawson
December 10th, 2015, 06:46 PM
And now press is stepping back from the rumor: https://twitter.com/Ben_WGEM/status/675097161542053889
https://twitter.com/Ben_WGEM/status/675097643454959618

So, still very possible, but nothing official yet.

Redbird Ray
December 10th, 2015, 08:00 PM
This has to be a family thing. I don't see SDs campus, facilities, or recruiting base being vastly superior to Western's. In fact, Western being within a 4 hour drive of St. Louis, Chicago, Peoria, and Indy puts them in a pretty fertile recruiting base.

BisonFan02
December 10th, 2015, 08:13 PM
This has to be a family thing. I don't see SDs campus, facilities, or recruiting base being vastly superior to Western's. In fact, Western being within a 4 hour drive of St. Louis, Chicago, Peoria, and Indy puts them in a pretty fertile recruiting base.

State "flagship" school that is paying FCOA and upgrading a bunch of facilities. Its not lateral to go there from WIU....which is unfortunate for the Leathernecks.

cpacmel
December 10th, 2015, 08:32 PM
Plot thickens....

Asst football coach for WIU:

https://twitter.com/CoachBlaz/status/675103721433473024

PantherRob82
December 10th, 2015, 10:14 PM
Plot thickens....

Asst football coach for WIU:

https://twitter.com/CoachBlaz/status/675103721433473024

xlolx

Redbird Ray
December 11th, 2015, 09:31 AM
Say there is a p5/G5 split, is usd the kind of school that would position itself for G5 inclusion? Even with the upgrades I wouldn't think so but I could be wrong. NDSU, SDSU, ISUR, and maybe SIU and UNI would try for G5 but I'm not sure any other valley team would.

ST_Lawson
December 11th, 2015, 09:57 AM
Say there is a p5/G5 split, is usd the kind of school that would position itself for G5 inclusion? Even with the upgrades I wouldn't think so but I could be wrong. NDSU, SDSU, ISUR, and maybe SIU and UNI would try for G5 but I'm not sure any other valley team would.

That seems about right. SIU would probably depend on the state fiscal situation at that point though.
USD does have a fairly high endowment and one thing to remember about the UXDs and XDSUs is that within their own states, they are the only D1 schools. That means that the majority of state money supporting higher education will likely go to them. They are the "big boys" in the Dakotas, like U of I is here.

leatherneck177
December 14th, 2015, 09:57 AM
What is the word on the USD side? All is quiet out of Macomb.

Yote 53
December 14th, 2015, 11:04 AM
Bob Nielson has been named the new head football coach at the University of South Dakota.

http://goyotes.com/news/2015/12/14/FB_1214155957.aspx?path=football

cpacmel
December 14th, 2015, 11:34 AM
https://twitter.com/Ben_WGEM/status/676452873702518784

To summarize...Bob Nielson held team meeting Friday night to inform players he turned down USD's offer. Three days later..he accepts offer.

Yote 53
December 14th, 2015, 11:43 AM
Like this same scenario has not played out a thousand times before, a coach being outed by the media as looking for a job, saying he is staying only to leave. That happens over and over. In fact, I just heard this same conversation topic on a sports talk radio show last week, the common consensus is the coach should lie every single time, why, because this is business and this is how the game is played and absoulutely no good can come from answering the question honestly. So come National Signing Day there won't be a single player who breaks a verbal commitment and signs with a differnet school. Yeah right. This works both ways. It's just the way the world is.

F'N Hawks
December 14th, 2015, 11:45 AM
https://twitter.com/Ben_WGEM/status/676452873702518784

That is some classic Bob there. He was in on more jobs than that lately. SIU and Concordia St. Paul were two others.

Sycamore62
December 14th, 2015, 01:28 PM
That is some classic Bob there. He was in on more jobs than that lately. SIU and Concordia St. Paul were two others.

I suspect he turned down AN offer then accepted another.

does anyone remember a coach who outright admitted looking for another job who was in a good situation (meaning not on the hotseat)

Yote 53
December 14th, 2015, 02:04 PM
I suspect he turned down AN offer then accepted another.

does anyone remember a coach who outright admitted looking for another job who was in a good situation (meaning not on the hotseat)

It doesn't happen. That's why I don't get all the fuss over this. Look at every single coaching move over this and many past years, coaches always have to play the deny game. The most famous example was Nick Saban when he left Miami for Alabama but it happens at all levels. With social media these days everything gets out and coaches have no other choice than to flat out lie and deny they are looking. Frankly, I don't blame them. If they admit they are looking and end up staying their loyalty will be questioned internally and brought up for years on end in recruiting battles.

The question WIU should be asking themselves is why does a coach who has everythign going in the right direction feel like he needs to look at other jobs at fellow conference schools and even a D2? What is going on at WIU that a coach would feel that uncomfortable and seek better options? Or maybe it is just that USD offers a dang good opportunity to achieve much more than he could at WIU.

Twentysix
December 14th, 2015, 02:49 PM

You just work a social security-less job. I currently have one in California.