PDA

View Full Version : Oregon grabbing another FCS QB?

clenz
December 8th, 2015, 02:32 PM
In another thread cleets called Prokup to UCLA...well he's visiting Oregon now.

I don't have a 24/7 membership so I can't see anything on the link, but the tweet that send me to it had a picture of Prokup.

http://oregon.247sports.com/Board/45/Contents/Another-FCS-QB-Transfer-Ducks-Find-New-Assistant-Coach-41856879

Bisonator
December 8th, 2015, 02:42 PM
Jeezes Oregon find your own damn QB's.xlolx

centennial
December 8th, 2015, 02:45 PM
New Big Sky to PAC 12 pipeline.

PantherRob82
December 8th, 2015, 02:47 PM
Is this a potential recruiting tool? Do well and graduate early and you could go to the Pac 12?

Bisonator
December 8th, 2015, 02:49 PM
New Big Sky to PAC 12 pipeline.
Must be what sioux2****ty and Fullerton meant by making an FBS Big Sky. xlolx

UNIFanSince1983
December 8th, 2015, 03:10 PM
This one is a little bit different as Prukop's coach just did get fired.

CrazyCat
December 8th, 2015, 03:57 PM
Prukop

Silenoz
December 8th, 2015, 04:36 PM
Get the name right people.

It's Dakota Fanning, jeez

Silenoz
December 8th, 2015, 04:51 PM
Seriously though, I've been one of VAJ's biggest fans this year, and I'd do the same for him

PantherRob82
December 8th, 2015, 04:54 PM
Prukop

I'm very pro-cop. xlolx

tomq04
December 8th, 2015, 05:06 PM
I don't blame him for looking, the kid is good and his whole coaching staff disappeared.

uofmman1122
December 8th, 2015, 05:10 PM
I don't blame him for looking, the kid is good and his whole coaching staff disappeared.
He's a pretty good FCS QB.

But he's no Vernon Adams, and it isn't even close.

Good luck to him, though. Hope it works out.

UNIFanSince1983
December 8th, 2015, 05:16 PM
Sorry Cleets but looks like UCLA is not even on the list...

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/dakota-prukop-montana-state-bobcats-oregon-texas-tcu-jeff-choate-tim-cramsey-120815

bobcathpdevil56
December 8th, 2015, 08:35 PM
I thought Cleets claimed Cal not UCLA.

Not that Cal is on the list either

Kemo
December 8th, 2015, 08:55 PM
In Soviet Russia, Pac-12 recruits YOU!

Bisonwinagn
December 8th, 2015, 09:09 PM
Seriously though, I've been one of VAG's biggest fans this year, and I'd do the same for him

I fixed the spelling for you.

JALMOND
December 8th, 2015, 09:17 PM
He's looking at going back home, too. OLive is reporting he is also considering Texas and TCU.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2015/12/montana_state_qb_dakota_prukop.html#incart_river_i ndex

smallcollegefbfan
December 8th, 2015, 09:43 PM
Is this a potential recruiting tool? Do well and graduate early and you could go to the Pac 12?

It is a smart move for any player regardless of level. I would tell a FBS player to do the same thing. Graduate as early as possible so if you aren't happy or coaches leave then the player is not stuck and can find a better situation.

JayJ79
December 8th, 2015, 10:15 PM
can he pass a math class?

tomq04
December 8th, 2015, 10:21 PM
can he pass a math class?

The article says he is finishing his economics degree this month, so doubtful of any infamous math classes.

CrazyCat
December 8th, 2015, 10:24 PM
The article says he is finishing his economics degree this month, so doubtful of any infamous math classes.

He graduates Saturday.

mvemjsunpx
December 9th, 2015, 01:17 AM
He's a pretty good FCS QB.

But he's no Vernon Adams, and it isn't even close.

No kidding. If he ends up starting at Oregon, the Ducks aren't likely to be contending for anything.

UNIFanSince1983
December 9th, 2015, 06:43 AM
I thought Cleets claimed Cal not UCLA.

Not that Cal is on the list either

You are correct. I just was going with what Clenz said in the first post. As you said though my point remains the same as Cal isn't on the list either. ;)

kalm
December 9th, 2015, 07:07 AM
It is a smart move for any player regardless of level. I would tell a FBS player to do the same thing. Graduate as early as possible so if you aren't happy or coaches leave then the player is not stuck and can find a better situation.

It's smart for both the kids and the Oregons to take advantage of it... and the rule is still dumb. It was intended to help with academics and Prukop's comments and academic success aside this has nothing to do with his schooling.

FCS coaches better stop redshirting their more talented athletes.

Professor Chaos
December 9th, 2015, 07:11 AM
It's smart for both the kids and the Oregons to take advantage of it... and the rule is still dumb. It was intended to help with academics and Prukop's comments and academic success aside this has nothing to do with his schooling.

FCS coaches better stop redshirting their more talented athletes.
Idk how smart it is for Oregon. At some point you have to develop your own QBs who can play at a high level for multiple years. This one-and-done transfer stuff is a temporary band-aid on poor QB recruiting/development. Doing it once I can let slide but dipping into that well in consecutive years is questionable.

kalm
December 9th, 2015, 07:52 AM
Idk how smart it is for Oregon. At some point you have to develop your own QBs who can play at a high level for multiple years. This one-and-done transfer stuff is a temporary band-aid on poor QB recruiting/development. Doing it once I can let slide but dipping into that well in consecutive years is questionable.

Agreed, but why not anyway? He may never see the field, but then again he might be an improvement over who they have and what they're bringing in. At least a serviceable back up. Is it really any different than FCS teams like SHSU, PSU, and SELA going the transfer route or MLB calling up someone from the minor leagues? Maybe Oregon can start funding Big Sky programs...improving facilities, etc. Show a little more love for their future investments.

We could use a training table for starters...

Professor Chaos
December 9th, 2015, 08:35 AM
Agreed, but why not anyway? He may never see the field, but then again he might be an improvement over who they have and what they're bringing in. At least a serviceable back up. Is it really any different than FCS teams like SHSU, PSU, and SELA going the transfer route or MLB calling up someone from the minor leagues? Maybe Oregon can start funding Big Sky programs...improving facilities, etc. Show a little more love for their future investments.

We could use a training table for starters...
The main "why not?" I'd give is you're taking away a scholarship that you could give to a recruit that could grow and blossom into a multi-year contributor for a guy that'll be gone by next year and may not even be a valuable contributor this year. Although with 85 scholarships FBS programs can afford to be liberal with them, especially if they have a couple extra in their back pocket after signing day.

Sycamore62
December 9th, 2015, 08:38 AM

I think this is previewing the future downward spiral of the program....Ive not been impressed with things there since Chip left

Bisonator
December 9th, 2015, 09:00 AM
I think this is previewing the future downward spiral of the program....Ive not been impressed with things there since Chip left

I haven't been impressed with the Philadelphia Eagles since he left either. xlolx

UNIFanSince1983
December 9th, 2015, 09:21 AM

Oregon was really good when Adams wasn't hurt. They also finished 9-3 which I wouldn't consider terrible. Especially a year after being in the playoff and losing a Heisman winning QB.

clenz
December 9th, 2015, 09:31 AM
Oregon was really good when Adams wasn't hurt. They also finished 9-3 which I wouldn't consider terrible. Especially a year after being in the playoff and losing a Heisman winning QB.
If Adam's doesn't break his finger Oregon is 11-1 at worst

Bisonator
December 9th, 2015, 10:28 AM
Oregon's defense sucks. Seems to be a common problem in the Northwest.

veinup
December 9th, 2015, 11:04 AM
things would have been very different if VA had been healthy all year for sure .. i've been rooting for the kid.

Sycamore62
December 9th, 2015, 11:14 AM
I guess what I meant was that I suspect this is an indicator of a downhill trend. "this" meaning 2 years in a row looking to get a qb graduate xfer.

Silenoz
December 9th, 2015, 11:44 AM
I guess what I meant was that I suspect this is an indicator of a downhill trend. "this" meaning 2 years in a row looking to get a qb graduate xfer.

Just giving yourself options. If the younger QBs on the roster can't beat him out then, well you play the best possible players you can

tribe_pride
December 9th, 2015, 12:00 PM
Just giving yourself options. If the younger QBs on the roster can't beat him out then, well you play the best possible players you can

No argument but it doesn't show well for development purposes (and trying to convince strong High School QBs to come to your school) to have Sr. Transfers come in and start a number of years. If it happens a couple of times, fine but if you have to depend on that, it can hurt long term.

Silenoz
December 9th, 2015, 01:23 PM
No argument but it doesn't show well for development purposes (and trying to convince strong High School QBs to come to your school) to have Sr. Transfers come in and start a number of years. If it happens a couple of times, fine but if you have to depend on that, it can hurt long term.

That's true, but football is a "what have you done for me lately" culture. If Oregon isn't a force next season Helfrich will be on the hot seat, and he knows it. Judging by their games without VAJ this season, they could be in serious trouble next season either way.

clenz
December 9th, 2015, 01:43 PM
Kelly will be back in Eugene by spring ball

nmatsen
December 9th, 2015, 01:51 PM
I wasn't rooting for him in Oregon. It was a terrible situation that was terrible for our division of football. His departure and his complete disregard of his teammates took EW from a national title contender to a team not even in the field of 24. If a person is so low character that they would abandon their team I wouldn't want him being the leader of my team, I don't care how good he is.

Im glad Oregon wasn't in the hunt for a title, and I feel terrible for the Eastern Washington group that would have had a legit shot this year with him at QB

Silenoz
December 9th, 2015, 04:07 PM
I wasn't rooting for him in Oregon. It was a terrible situation that was terrible for our division of football. His departure and his complete disregard of his teammates took EW from a national title contender to a team not even in the field of 24. If a person is so low character that they would abandon their team I wouldn't want him being the leader of my team, I don't care how good he is.

Im glad Oregon wasn't in the hunt for a title, and I feel terrible for the Eastern Washington group that would have had a legit shot this year with him at QB

This was your first mistake

tomq04
December 9th, 2015, 04:23 PM

I lold...then i remembered the season and I cried.

clenz
December 9th, 2015, 04:37 PM
But I was told all year, and leading into the season, EWU didn't miss VA

kalm
December 9th, 2015, 04:53 PM

I'd feel bad for any FCs team this happened to.

kalm
December 9th, 2015, 05:18 PM

kalm
December 9th, 2015, 05:45 PM
But I was told all year, and leading into the season, EWU didn't miss VA

We didn't........ until November.

Oooof!

Peems
December 10th, 2015, 10:01 AM
Something that I haven't seen mentioned in the thread yet is that Cramsey, his OC, was interviewing for an assistant job at Oregon and had the infamous quote of "Dakota won't play for any other coach but me"

Bisonator
December 10th, 2015, 10:57 AM
Something that I haven't seen mentioned in the thread yet is that Cramsey, his OC, was interviewing for an assistant job at Oregon and had the infamous quote of "Dakota won't play for any other coach but me"

haha wow that guys a winner tooxlolx

catbob
December 10th, 2015, 11:33 AM
Yes. Many wanted him as the next HC for the Cats but that statement rubbed most of us the wrong way. Using a kid to leverage yourself for a new job. Ugh.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 10th, 2015, 11:49 AM
Orinigally I thought the VA thing would be a one-time occurrence. But this rumor is a lot more troubling, as it's a trend and especially the allegations that the OC may be using his contacts to get in with Oregon. That's seriously bad news.

veinup
December 10th, 2015, 11:59 AM
id be reaaallly surprised if krukop landed at oregon. he's like 1/5th the player VA is, as already pointed out in this thread..

kalm
December 11th, 2015, 08:37 AM
id be reaaallly surprised if krukop landed at oregon. he's like 1/5th the player VA is, as already pointed out in this thread..

Are you sure he's not at least 1/4? xlolx

Prukop has better size and more speed than VA. He might not be as elusive while scrambling but is every bit as good if not a better threat once he's running. Plus, he didn't have anywhere near the talent at WR to throw to.

I wouldn't dismiss his abilities.

chattownmocs
December 11th, 2015, 08:53 AM
He can play. Vernon is special but this guy is no slouch.

tomq04
December 11th, 2015, 12:30 PM
He can play. Vernon is special but this guy is no slouch.

VA specializes in broken plays, Prokup is an excellent all around player and better with his feet than VA. Not sure how he does with broken plays, but he should be a good fit anywhere with an uptempo offense that likes to call designed QB runs.

Silenoz
December 11th, 2015, 12:35 PM
VA specializes in broken plays, Prokup is an excellent all around player and better with his feet than VA. Not sure how he does with broken plays, but he should be a good fit anywhere with an uptempo offense that likes to call designed QB runs.

Depends on which side of the ball is breaking the play. I'd say 80% of MSU's passing success came on getting broken coverages

mvemjsunpx
December 11th, 2015, 01:56 PM
Are you sure he's not at least 1/4? xlolx

Prukop has better size and more speed than VA. He might not be as elusive while scrambling but is every bit as good if not a better threat once he's running. Plus, he didn't have anywhere near the talent at WR to throw to.

I wouldn't dismiss his abilities.

His athleticism will largely be neutralized at the P5 level, though. He'll have to compensate with precision, and I don't think he's capable. Adams's relatively balanced set of skills translate better to a move-up than Prukop's.

Bronco
December 11th, 2015, 02:22 PM
The kid can't stay healthy at his level...what will happen when he plays against real competition.
Kirk Herbstreit

srgrizizen
December 11th, 2015, 04:43 PM
Oregon's defense sucks. Seems to be a common problem in the Northwest.

Actually UOs defense is inconsistent, but much improved since the Ohio State debacle. Look at the Stanford game, an opponent that used to run it down Oregon's throat. This year Stanford also had a good passing game, which, along with McCaffrey, racked up a lot of yards. But Oregon still won handily with great timely plays on defense and their usual offensive genius. UO vs.TCU should be an entertaining game. RE: Prukop, he would not look out of place in the PAC 12, but he wouldn't own it like VA. If he does get the chance, he will benefit from UOs large stable of NFL ready RBs and not have to do it all himself for a change.

UNIFanSince1983
December 13th, 2015, 10:38 PM
So apparently it is down to Oregon or Alabama...

Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB (https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB) 10m10 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/676257443265949696) Dakota Prukop: "Alabama visit was great. Historic program, it's an honor to be wanted by Coach Saban." He'll decide between Oregon/Bama MON.

Professor Chaos
December 13th, 2015, 10:45 PM
I'm sure his decision will boil down completely to which school has the better graduate program he's interested in... just as the graduate transfer rule was intended to work.

Btw, how ironic is it that Rob Ash was one of the biggest critics of Vernon Adam's move last summer. Perhaps he saw the writing on the wall with his star QB. Maybe he should've spent less time worrying about Adams/Prukop and more time on the defense, or lack thereof, that cost him his job.

Silenoz
December 14th, 2015, 12:10 PM
I'm thinking it's going to be Oregon because of the offense and the possible Cramsey situation

Hard to turn down the best football program in the nation though

tomq04
December 14th, 2015, 12:20 PM
I think that would be the hardest 2 school to choose from...

Lehigh Football Nation
December 14th, 2015, 12:29 PM
How can anyone involved with this feel good about themselves?

Grizalltheway
December 14th, 2015, 12:41 PM
I'm sure his decision will boil down completely to which school has the better graduate program he's interested in... just as the graduate transfer rule was intended to work.

Btw, how ironic is it that Rob Ash was one of the biggest critics of Vernon Adam's move last summer. Perhaps he saw the writing on the wall with his star QB. Maybe he should've spent less time worrying about Adams/Prukop and more time on the defense, or lack thereof, that cost him his job.

Didn't want to start a new thread, but it sounds like our DC is going turncoat on us and is heading to MSU...

Professor Chaos
December 14th, 2015, 12:54 PM
Didn't want to start a new thread, but it sounds like our DC is going turncoat on us and is heading to MSU...
Really? Any story behind that? I can't imagine pay is any better. I'd also think that with Stitt being an offensive guy he'd have all the freedom in the world on defense to run things his way.

Peems
December 14th, 2015, 02:27 PM

This. Apparently rumors have it that Prukop has been pissed that he got passed over by so many P5 schools and had been planning this for awhile.

tomq04
December 14th, 2015, 04:46 PM
This. Apparently rumors have it that Prukop has been pissed that he got passed over by so many P5 schools and had been planning this for awhile.

Maybe since last February when someone else pulled it off?

Peems
December 14th, 2015, 08:27 PM
Maybe since last February when someone else pulled it off?

probably even before that, but i understand your point. I watched quite a bit of MSU, and the kid single-handedly kept them competitive. I would think if he had some high caliber players around him, he could do some special stuff on the big stage. Griz bias incoming, but MSU probably only had about 3 or 4 guys that I would want playing for the Griz, the rest of the team around him was not on the same level.

Walkon79
December 15th, 2015, 11:09 AM
Dakota isn't nearly as accurate a thrower as VA.

tomq04
December 15th, 2015, 11:11 AM
Any actual announcement as to where he will be attending next year?

Walkon79
December 15th, 2015, 11:13 AM
Any actual announcement as to where he will be attending next year?
Nothing yet. I think he's with his parents on a graduation trip to Hawaii

Peems
December 15th, 2015, 11:58 AM
Nothing yet. I think he's with his parents on a graduation trip to Hawaii

The good life. Go to Hawaii while two elite programs fight for your services.

bobcathpdevil56
December 15th, 2015, 12:26 PM
I heard he has chosen Bama.

bobcathpdevil56
December 15th, 2015, 12:36 PM
Cancel that. Inaccurate information. Nothing to see here

Walkon79
December 15th, 2015, 12:42 PM
Cancel that. Inaccurate information. Nothing to see here
Yeah I saw that on the Nation too. xdrunkyx

UNIFanSince1983
December 15th, 2015, 02:38 PM
BTW doesn't look like taking 1 year grad transfers isn't getting in the way of Oregon getting recruits. Although maybe this flip also means Prukop isn't going to Oregon...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2598845-tristen-wallace-to-oregon-ducks-land-4-star-qb-prospect

ursus arctos horribilis
December 15th, 2015, 02:46 PM
BTW doesn't look like taking 1 year grad transfers isn't getting in the way of Oregon getting recruits. Although maybe this flip also means Prukop isn't going to Oregon...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2598845-tristen-wallace-to-oregon-ducks-land-4-star-qb-prospect

Anybody trying to pretend that this would affect an elite program's recruiting in some way is f'n kidding themselves. You can wish it were true, it is not.

UNIFanSince1983
December 15th, 2015, 02:54 PM
Anybody trying to pretend that this would affect an elite program's recruiting in some way is f'n kidding themselves. You can wish it were true, it is not.

I know. That was what someone was saying earlier in the thread about how this is a decline in Oregon because they are trying to continually get 1 year transfers.

Professor Chaos
December 15th, 2015, 03:19 PM

That was probably more of a direct result of this: http://www.thedailygopher.com/2015/12/13/9858754/minnesota-football-recruiting-seth-green-flips-from-oregon-to-gophers

It's rough to be Oregon. 4 star QB decommits from you so the next day you pick up another 4 star QB commit.

UNIFanSince1983
December 15th, 2015, 04:24 PM
Feldman just tweeted that it was Oregon that Prukop chose.

Silenoz
December 15th, 2015, 04:34 PM
Makes sense

They're probably already talking to Cookus about seeing if he can graduate early

ursus arctos horribilis
December 15th, 2015, 04:43 PM
I know. That was what someone was saying earlier in the thread about how this is a decline in Oregon because they are trying to continually get 1 year transfers.

Yes, I was agreeing with you.xthumbsupx

tomq04
December 15th, 2015, 06:04 PM
Makes sense

They're probably already talking to Cookus about seeing if he can graduate early

That one deserves an lol out loud.

srgrizizen
December 15th, 2015, 07:56 PM
Dakota isn't nearly as accurate a thrower as VA.

That's true, and he's more likely to panic and do something stupid when pressured, BUT he'll have about four or five RBs he can hand off to that will make him look good. Also Better receivers than at MSU and a better OL, though not a real good one by PAC 12 standards.

Casey_Orourke
December 15th, 2015, 08:23 PM
I'm pretty sure Oregon has been having VA and are planning on having Prukop work with the younger QB's on the roster to improve their skills so that after next season they won't need to bring in another grad student to fill that hole by using one of their "home grown QBs.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 15th, 2015, 09:51 PM
That one deserves an lol out loud.

a laugh out loud out loud?

WTH is going on around here?

c'mon tom!

Twentysix
December 15th, 2015, 10:03 PM

c'mon tom!

It is the endtimes RIP in peace AGS.

JALMOND
December 15th, 2015, 10:54 PM
Going to Oregon as announced on Oregon Live

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2015/12/quarterback_dakota_prukop_comm.html#incart_2box

tomq04
December 16th, 2015, 10:44 AM

c'mon tom!

It's something one of us came up with at work and we all continue to use to this day...certainly up through yesterday at least. Rarely it gets the double take, and it's always worth it.

Peems
December 16th, 2015, 10:50 AM
Best of luck to Dakota. The Cats are going to be terrible next year.

Walkon79
December 16th, 2015, 11:25 AM
Best of luck to Dakota. The Cats are going to be terrible next year.
Wouldn't bet on that. We have 16 returning seniors including arguably one of the best backs in the BSC. If Choate, Kane and Gregorak can turn this defense around, we will be in contention for a BSC title, IMO.

F'N Hawks
December 16th, 2015, 11:29 AM
Wouldn't bet on that. We have 16 returning seniors including arguably one of the best backs in the BSC. If Choate, Kane and Gregorak can turn this defense around, we will be in contention for a BSC title, IMO.

What style of offense is Choate going to go with?

Walkon79
December 16th, 2015, 11:35 AM
What style of offense is Choate going to go with?
We've been hearing a lot about Boise State's offense. It will be his version of the spread with more two-back sets. (Choate has alluded to that with the press) He hasn't hired an OC yet, but I'm pretty sure it will be a Peterson guy, and probably someone still preparing for a bowl game somewhere.

Grizalltheway
December 16th, 2015, 02:04 PM
We've been hearing a lot about Boise State's offense. It will be his version of the spread with more two-back sets. (Choate has alluded to that with the press) He hasn't hired an OC yet, but I'm pretty sure it will be a Peterson guy, and probably someone still preparing for a bowl game somewhere.

I assume you mean a position coach? I don't think coordinators are in the habit of dropping down a level...

Walkon79
December 16th, 2015, 04:02 PM
Yes a position coach, and probably a very young one at that. We can't afford anyone else in FBS.

Walkon79
December 16th, 2015, 04:03 PM
And I don't think Choate has a lot of ties to FCS, so the chances of enticing another coordinator from this level may be slim.