PDA

View Full Version : Information on Trip to Illinois State for Visting Fans

SpiderJPO
December 6th, 2015, 06:15 PM
I am making trip to game this weekend from Richmond. Any information would be appreciated for tips on places to eat or tailgate information at stadium in regards to parking lots and a good time prior to game.

ISUMatt
December 6th, 2015, 06:25 PM
Make sure you book your
Hotel room now, graduation ceremonies are Saturday!! There will be PLENTY of
Tickets available. You will want to get general admission on the west side, that will put you behind the Richmond sideline. As for
Restaurants, I'll let the locals chime in as I'm not a regular around campus and a lot has changed!

ISUMatt

JayJ79
December 6th, 2015, 06:34 PM
Caseys pizza for every meal.
haha, I kid, I kid.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 6th, 2015, 06:37 PM
I am making trip to game this weekend from Richmond. Any information would be appreciated for tips on places to eat or tailgate information at stadium in regards to parking lots and a good time prior to game.

There you go, buddy. Safe travels and bring home a W.

RollBirds
December 6th, 2015, 08:22 PM

Most people would say that you have to try Avanti's, IMO it's just ok. There is a little Italian place in uptown Normal that is hands down better, it's called Medici. If you want to get a real taste of the ILSTU go to "The Pub II" and have their cheese balls, it's an ILSTU staple. It also wouldn't be a bad spot to grab a beer after the game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

REALBird
December 6th, 2015, 08:41 PM
Maggie Miley's "Uptown" (downtown) Normal = Irish Food/Beer

Medici = Italian American Cuisine, occasionally they expand the menu. Good Brick Oven Pizza, Had a decent Jambalaya (summer).

The Rock = Gyro and Authentic Greek Salads, Baklava.

Windy City Weiners = Chicago Style Hotdogs, Hamburgers, Polish Sausages.

Rosati's Pizza = just North of Campus. Closest thing to Chicago Style Deep Dish Pizza near campus.

Insomnia Cookies = Uptown Normal. The Peanut Butter Cookies are the Devil.

Bisonoline
December 6th, 2015, 09:02 PM
Maggie Miley's "Uptown" (downtown) Normal = Irish Food/Beer

Medici = Italian American Cuisine, occasionally they expand the menu. Good Brick Oven Pizza, Had a decent Jambalaya (summer).

The Rock = Gyro and Authentic Greek Salads, Baklava.

Windy City Weiners = Chicago Style Hotdogs, Hamburgers, Polish Sausages.

Rosati's Pizza = just North of Campus. Closest thing to Chicago Style Deep Dish Pizza near campus.

Insomnia Cookies = Uptown Normal. The Peanut Butter Cookies are the Devil.

Last time I was there, there was a steak house that you could cook your own steak or they would cook it for you. I was pretty good from what I remember. Cant remember the name though.

Looked it up the name is Alexanders. You can also pick out your own steak.

ISUR24
December 6th, 2015, 09:26 PM
I think everyone has covered the basics. Depending on the "scene" you're looking for.. the responses change.

"The Pub"- technically called Pub II.. is the place to be. About a mile from Hancock.. won't be too wild since the kids are going to be out of town. Nothing super special about the drinks, but you HAVE to get pepperjack cheeseballs. That's the ISU staple. If you're looking for "nicer" then yes... Medici is the place to go. I wouldn't call it Italian at all. It's more of a new american gastro pub kind of thing. Lots of beers, wines, and mixed drinks. Let us know what your plans are and we can help much better!

SpiderJPO
December 6th, 2015, 09:35 PM
Getting into town around 9pm on Thursday. Group of 6 guys just looking to get a idea of campus and surrounding area. Looking for a good local flavor and to tailgate on gameday. First trip to area but enjoy away games and meeting new people who love college football experience.

Redbird Recon
December 6th, 2015, 10:23 PM
Options of every flavor in the "Uptown Normal" area southeast of campus.

Did you find a hotel yet?

clenz
December 6th, 2015, 10:32 PM
If you want the good good call the ISU director of football ops...he'll get you the hook up

ISUR24
December 7th, 2015, 10:28 AM
Im nto sure anyone has a clue as to how tailgating will work for a Friday night game. The students leaving will help the lots be empty... but they will be EMPTY. Our fanbase is as fickle as can be. If you want the diehard football talk.. park somewhere and bring your tailgating accessories to Redbird Arena. You'll see it.. it's actually a pretty good sized basketball arena for our atrocious team. CindyGate is on the east side of RBA and you will be welcomed there. It may literally be the only tailgate going on for this game... I'm not kidding. Friday, if you're going out for lunch. You absolutely MUST go to BraiZe. It's a new "popup" restaurant in the VFW hall. Just google where to find it. If I were doing this trip as you... My Friday would go.. Merry Anns for breakfast.. maybe a tour of campus since it will be pretty nice out. Eventually make your way to BraiZe for lunch.. then camp out at the Pub and Maggie's until you head to the tailgate. Hope you enjoy your trip, sorry campus will be pretty dead and you won't get the full ISU experience. (Insert Clenz weed joke)

UNIFanSince1983
December 7th, 2015, 10:39 AM
Is the Pub II where Jake from State Farm works? If so we ate there last year and it was pretty decent bar food.

We also went to some townie bar that I can't remember the name of. They had $1.50 bottles I believe. Was a pretty good time. We stayed at the Marriott right there and it was a very nice hotel and close to everything.

PantherRob82
December 7th, 2015, 10:42 AM
Im nto sure anyone has a clue as to how tailgating will work for a Friday night game. The students leaving will help the lots be empty... but they will be EMPTY. Our fanbase is as fickle as can be. If you want the diehard football talk.. park somewhere and bring your tailgating accessories to Redbird Arena. You'll see it.. it's actually a pretty good sized basketball arena for our atrocious team. CindyGate is on the east side of RBA and you will be welcomed there. It may literally be the only tailgate going on for this game... I'm not kidding. Friday, if you're going out for lunch. You absolutely MUST go to BraiZe. It's a new "popup" restaurant in the VFW hall. Just google where to find it. If I were doing this trip as you... My Friday would go.. Merry Anns for breakfast.. maybe a tour of campus since it will be pretty nice out. Eventually make your way to BraiZe for lunch.. then camp out at the Pub and Maggie's until you head to the tailgate. Hope you enjoy your trip, sorry campus will be pretty dead and you won't get the full ISU experience. (Insert Clenz weed joke)

Wait, explain this weed thing? Did someone do something with weed? :D

Rollbird5
December 7th, 2015, 11:10 AM
Is the Pub II where Jake from State Farm works? If so we ate there last year and it was pretty decent bar food.

We also went to some townie bar that I can't remember the name of. They had $1.50 bottles I believe. Was a pretty good time. We stayed at the Marriott right there and it was a very nice hotel and close to everything.

Yup that's where Jake works, and maybe Brewha's next door to the Pub you may have went to they have cheap bottles usually. Brewhas has a pretty good burger basket deal as well. $2.50 for Burger and Fries

UNIFanSince1983
December 7th, 2015, 11:23 AM
Yup that's where Jake works, and maybe Brewha's next door to the Pub you may have went to they have cheap bottles usually. Brewhas has a pretty good burger basket deal as well. $2.50 for Burger and Fries

Yup Brew-Ha's was the place. It was definitely a good time. Of course it was my birthday weekend ;)

Rollbird5
December 7th, 2015, 11:26 AM
Of course it was my birthday weekend ;)

No wonder you couldn't remember!