PDA

View Full Version : The MEAC

Lehigh Football Nation
December 2nd, 2015, 10:22 AM
This is the first year in a long time that the MEAC wasn't in the FCS playoffs. My simple questions:

1. Does anyone in the MEAC miss the playoffs?
2. Does any school in the playoffs miss the MEAC?

For my part, since I felt like the MEAC wasn't a part of the championship that the PL competes in, I found less need to look at MEAC matchups and how NCAT and B-CU were doing on ESPNU. I read a few box scores and recaps, but that was really about it. It's not like the MEAC fell completely off my radar, but it did in large part.

I would have liked to have seen a MEAC team face off against a team in the playoffs. It would have made for some more interesting matchups, and very surely would have broken up some of these boring rematches in the second round. For example, assuming WIU was the last team, you could have had NCAT as one of the teams instead and they could have played EIU or a team like that in the first round. That would have been an interesting game to me.

So for my part, I kinda miss the MEAC in the playoffs.

eaglesdare
December 2nd, 2015, 11:49 AM
You'll find a lot of hard core guys on the MEAC Board(including myself)are not happy about losing the autobid. General fans really have no idea about anything outside of homecoming and the rivalry game. All of the major FCS awards are named after HBCU guys, it sucks. I believe my school, North Carolina Central, voted against the bowl.

PurpleStreamers
December 2nd, 2015, 12:07 PM
I miss all the conferences not in the playoffs because it makes it seem like less of a national tournament (regardless of how those conferences did in the playoffs). Also pretty clear that 24 is too many teams without those two extra autobids and all the power programs that have left FCS in recent years - figuring the last four in were UNH (who was beaten by PL autobid Colgate), EIU (who got drilled), WIU (6-5 and essentially received a bye), and Fordham (embarrassed). I also live in Greensboro and would've enjoyed the discussion with A&T folks this year.

YoUDeeMan
December 2nd, 2015, 01:27 PM
The MEAC will go the way of the SWAC...out of sight, out of mind, for most posters.

No one will really miss them after a few years. They never stuck around for long in the post season anyway.

Too bad DSU dragged themselves down, once again, with their AD and coaching decisions. xoopsx

FargoBison
December 2nd, 2015, 02:43 PM
I kind of miss them, the conference had some good up and coming programs in my opinion and they have passionate fans that added to the playoff discussions. Feel sorry for them really, seems like most wanted to stay in the playoffs. I don't think this bowl does much of anything but hurt he quality of MEAC football, joining the SWAC to me is race towards the bottom.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 2nd, 2015, 02:53 PM
The two biggest visiting crowds I've ever seen at Paulson Stadium were FAMU and SCSU in 2001 and 2010. Makes for a good atmosphere. If Georgia Southern were still FCS I'd wish we could play them again.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 2nd, 2015, 03:05 PM
I attended the UNH playoff games at Hampton and Bethune-Cookman. Both were very positive game day experiences, great hospitality, the bands are fun too. My playoff experience is richer from attending games at MEAC schools and that will be a loss going forward.

kdinva
December 2nd, 2015, 03:14 PM
The two biggest visiting crowds I've ever seen at Paulson Stadium were FAMU and SCSU in 2001 and 2010. Makes for a good atmosphere. If Georgia Southern were still FCS I'd wish we could play them again.

you can still play them......just pay them $250K or so......... xcoffeex

Catsfan90
December 2nd, 2015, 07:20 PM
Watching a rerun of the bayou classic, and I can't believe how many people are there! If there is this much support for the MEAC, how come they weren't able to be successful?

Missingnumber7
December 2nd, 2015, 10:38 PM
2. Does any school in the playoffs miss the MEAC?

UNH/Coastal Carolina? Oh wait...you said in the playoffs.

Stonewall D
December 2nd, 2015, 10:48 PM
I would rather see the Ivies in the FCS playoffs than the MEAC.

GAD
December 3rd, 2015, 08:37 AM
Watching a rerun of the bayou classic, and I can't believe how many people are there! If there is this much support for the MEAC, how come they weren't able to be successful?
Bayou Classic features Southern and Grambling who are members of the SWAC

Catsfan90
December 3rd, 2015, 08:45 AM
Bayou Classic features Southern and Grambling who are members of the SWAC

Oh wow. I feel like a complete idiot now. How did I mess that up? xeyebrowx

PurpleStreamers
December 3rd, 2015, 08:56 AM
Related to this topic, I attended the UNCG at NC A&T hoops game last night and they had a big presentation from an ESPN guy where they formally "invited" the Aggies to the Celebration Bowl. I was sitting with a group of A&T folks and they had mixed emotions about it - the old school people would rather be in the playoffs, especially with the team they had this year (at least before the QB1 went down), but everyone acknowledged that for fans it was cool to be planning a trip with some notice (and definitely better for students as they're sending a whole bunch of busloads) and at least if they play Grambling, that's an opponent with some cache.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 3rd, 2015, 09:16 AM
Related to this topic, I attended the UNCG at NC A&T hoops game last night and they had a big presentation from an ESPN guy where they formally "invited" the Aggies to the Celebration Bowl. I was sitting with a group of A&T folks and they had mixed emotions about it - the old school people would rather be in the playoffs, especially with the team they had this year (at least before the QB1 went down), but everyone acknowledged that for fans it was cool to be planning a trip with some notice (and definitely better for students as they're sending a whole bunch of busloads) and at least if they play Grambling, that's an opponent with some cache.

What if it's Alcorn, though? This was always the problem with the Celebration Bowl. If Grambling wins, then it's going to be a big payday for the bowl people, better ratings on ESPN, etc. If it's Alcorn they'll struggle to fill the place and suddenly it could very well be a money loser.

Interesting that it's sort-of a mixed thing with the NCAT folks. It will also be interesting to see how people feel after the Celebration Bowl, too.

GAD
December 3rd, 2015, 10:00 AM
What if it's Alcorn, though? This was always the problem with the Celebration Bowl. If Grambling wins, then it's going to be a big payday for the bowl people, better ratings on ESPN, etc. If it's Alcorn they'll struggle to fill the place and suddenly it could very well be a money loser.

Interesting that it's sort-of a mixed thing with the NCAT folks. It will also be interesting to see how people feel after the Celebration Bowl, too.
Alcorn lacks the name recognition of Grambling how ever but their fans travel about the same. Alcorn might hurt the TV rating but not in the stands

Alcorns side at the 2014 SWAC championship game
https://youtu.be/H2T2EdRNqbA

PurpleStreamers
December 3rd, 2015, 10:30 AM
Alcorn lacks the name recognition of Grambling how ever but their fans travel about the same. Alcorn might hurt the TV rating but not in the stands

Alcorns side at the 2014 SWAC championship game
https://youtu.be/H2T2EdRNqbA

Yeah, I didn't mean (and pretty sure LFN didn't either) to knock Alcorn (nor did the A&T crew last night), it's just that the Grambling name/tradition would make it seem like a bigger deal to their fans. A&T fanbase is just like most FCS fanbases - the hardcores enjoyed the playoffs and are/were plugged into the broader FCS picture, but for the casual fan or student going to a "Bowl" at the Georgia Dome against a name opponent is just as well, or maybe even better, than going on the road to play at Richmond or Coastal or some school they have no connection to. Like most of us, outside the true fans, the rest of A&T fans are a "big event" group (i.e. GHOE, Family Weekend, maybe the Central game). In a lot of ways the Celebration Bowl will have more of a big event feel to casual fans than a random road playoff game. I hate what it means for the FCS playoffs, but financially it makes complete sense and it seems it might turn out to be a cool thing for the teams that make it.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 3rd, 2015, 10:47 AM
The Celebration Bowl will be what the teams and fans make of it. I can respect the schools' decision for the Celebration Bowl if it is a bigger deal to them to face off against each other instead of facing off against Central Arkansas or Eastern Illinois.

RabidRabbit
December 3rd, 2015, 12:27 PM
Oh wow. I feel like a complete idiot now. How did I mess that up? xeyebrowx

It's the New England "thing" xrolleyesx If it's any consolation, didn't follow MEAC/SWAC closely in Northern Great Plains either. Haven't made the Bayou Classic in my 5 years here in the Big Easy either.xchinscratchx

RabidRabbit
December 3rd, 2015, 12:35 PM
I miss MEAC choosing to not send their champ to the play-offs. The MEAC participation here has dropped off, and it provided MEAC the opportunity to compete equally, not specially treated. Entertaining fanbase and bands. It also opened alternatives for regional play that would enhance SoCon, Big South, CAA match-ups, maybe shifting some MVFC teams into an eastern tract, rather than western, SLC tract.

BisonFan02
December 3rd, 2015, 12:47 PM
The MEAC/SWAC mean this to me as a Bison fan (I'm lumping them together now...hope I didn't miss a matchup in there, but I think I've got them all).

6-0 for NDSU

First national championship for NDSU
1965 - Grambling - 20-7

A weird Home/home for the transitioning NDSU

2006 - Miss Valley State - 45-0
2007 - Miss Valley State - 58-7 (on road)

2010 - Morgan State - 35-9
2012 - Prairie View A&M - 66-7
2013 - Delaware State - 51-0

That is an aggregate score of 275-30....we'll bring em in if the price is right for a cheap OOC home game...but that is it.

WestCoastAggie
December 3rd, 2015, 02:49 PM

Most of us young alumni crowd are hyped about playing in Atlanta.

Me, I'm glad we get to play on ABC and we get a phat check of at least $650,000 + we keep all ticket expenses we sell via our ticket office and online.

Either way, we need more consistent QB Play.

WestCoastAggie
December 3rd, 2015, 02:55 PM
I mentioned to folks recently that ESPN is looking to bring in eyeballs (Black Women) that would not watch normally during bowl season. Black men will generally watch bowl games and they had this group for a while. But with the Celebration Bowl, Disney now has a guaranteed 3 hour time block in December where they can advertise items that black women will buy during the Holidays.

When I watched the Bayou Classic this weekend, there were many commercials aired that were specifically targeted to this demo that I would never see otherwise.

Only HBCU sports could bring in that crowd that has some of the stongest spending power in America to their TV's.

PAllen
December 3rd, 2015, 04:16 PM
I mentioned to folks recently that ESPN is looking to bring in eyeballs (Black Women) that would not watch normally during bowl season. Black men will generally watch bowl games and they had this group for a while. But with the Celebration Bowl, Disney now has a guaranteed 3 hour time block in December where they can advertise items that black women will buy during the Holidays.

When I watched the Bayou Classic this weekend, there were many commercials aired that were specifically targeted to this demo that I would never see otherwise.

Only HBCU sports could bring in that crowd that has some of the stongest spending power in America to their TV's.

You may be right, but is that really that large of a demographic to base a football game around?

WestCoastAggie
December 3rd, 2015, 04:36 PM
ESPN thinks so. I will be interesting to see the demographic breakdown of this game compared to the other bowl games. I think the game may one day surpass the Bayou Classic in tv viewership.

What black women are more interested in are the pageantry of HBCU Football compared to the actual game. This goes for the bands and entertainment value overall.

When I watched the BC this weekend, my wife and her mom sat down with me and watched and were actively engaged in the halftime performances.

Catsfan90
December 3rd, 2015, 10:55 PM
ESPN thinks so. I will be interesting to see the demographic breakdown of this game compared to the other bowl games. I think the game may one day surpass the Bayou Classic in tv viewership.

What black women are more interested in are the pageantry of HBCU Football compared to the actual game. This goes for the bands and entertainment value overall.

When I watched the BC this weekend, my wife and her mom sat down with me and watched and were actively engaged in the halftime performances.

I was thinking about this while reading your original post. NFL, NCAA, they all do everything they can to actively engage women. The HBCU's have a leg up with their dancing, marching bands, and in your words pageantry. ESPN is tapping into a huge market/ demographic.

BluBengal07
December 4th, 2015, 11:51 AM
The Air Force Reserve Celebration Bowl is going to be a pretty seismic hit to viewership and local economy impact, like the first SWAC Conference Championship game in Houston was. This game will impact FCS collectively and assist in determine if bowls are something that could help FCS become more marketable to the general football fan and create more fan excitement for FCS football.

There is a thread about the fantasy of FCS team being invited to a bowl game. The more realistic approach would be a bowl game moving to the FCS ranks. This could be one of the very low supported bowls being redeveloped to be the FCS Championship game aka Bowl Game. As folks should be aware, HBCU classics are basic bowl games with in the season. Similar amount of fanfare within the week, just tinkered some to support the majority of the visitors.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 4th, 2015, 12:18 PM
The Air Force Reserve Celebration Bowl is going to be a pretty seismic hit to viewership and local economy impact, like the first SWAC Conference Championship game in Houston was. This game will impact FCS collectively and assist in determine if bowls are something that could help FCS become more marketable to the general football fan and create more fan excitement for FCS football.

xlolx No, no, dunno, no, no and no.

WestCoastAggie
December 4th, 2015, 07:26 PM
I was thinking about this while reading your original post. NFL, NCAA, they all do everything they can to actively engage women. The HBCU's have a leg up with their dancing, marching bands, and in your words pageantry. ESPN is tapping into a huge market/ demographic.

Check out some of the commercials that are aired during this game compared to those during FCS Playoff games they appear on the "regular" ESPN channels.

You will see way more commercials marketed towards black women and a lesser extent women in general during the Celebration Bowl broadcast than the latter.

That Commercial money is the true reason why the Celebration Bowl exists. It's also something the NCAA needs to recognize too.

Panther88
December 7th, 2015, 12:47 PM
The MEAC conference isn't missing anything it has missed the last 15 consecutive years... a seat on the couch viewing the 2nd round while not getting demolished in the 1st round. :)

The "FCS" level MEAC and SWAC conferences will set yet another precedent, that was actually created numerous decades prior by the same schools, by participating in a modern day bowl game where bowl games are mysteriously created and maintained selectively for D-I FBS schools. We're going head-to-head w/ those guys, not D-I FCS schools, for notoriety. The SCG last Sat drew 40K+ people @ NRG stadium in Houston, Tx where just across town, the AAC's Temple and UofH were going head-to-head for the AACG crown that drew slightly above 35K+. Our CG outdrew a D-I FBS CG in the same city. xlolx There was no Texas team in the SCG unlike the AACG. FTR, I haven't viewed the PAC-12, B1G, SEC, et al conf championship attendance figures. Much, much larger participating schools so I'd expect their attendance to be significantly greater.

AggieManiac704
December 7th, 2015, 03:37 PM
I miss the playoffs & I can at least be glad my school voted against this bowl.
We know we had quite the uphill battle to compete with the rest of you all. But champions belong with champions...that goes for MEAC, SWAC & IVY

Stonewall D
December 7th, 2015, 03:49 PM
I miss the playoffs & I can at least be glad my school voted against this bowl.
We know we had quite the uphill battle to compete with the rest of you all. But champions belong with champions...that goes for MEAC, SWAC & IVY
I agree. All of FCS will miss your teams.

DeltaDevil662
December 8th, 2015, 10:25 AM
"Kumbaya my Lord... Kumbaya"

(when just earlier this year these same folks were happy that the MEAC gave up their auto-bid for a "more deserving school" (which in this case was a 6-5 WIU)

ccd494
December 8th, 2015, 11:06 AM
Think the MEAC is excited to be included here, frankly: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/page/bowlschedule2015/2015-2016-college-football-playoff-schedule-bowl-schedule

WileECoyote06
December 8th, 2015, 12:36 PM
"Kumbaya my Lord... Kumbaya"

(when just earlier this year these same folks were happy that the MEAC gave up their auto-bid for a "more deserving school" (which in this case was a 6-5 WIU)

True

bluehenbillk
December 8th, 2015, 01:45 PM
I sure as hell don't miss MEAC officials!!

WileECoyote06
December 8th, 2015, 02:56 PM
I sure as hell don't miss MEAC officials!!

Hell we don't either; they cost my school an outright MEAC title, Celebration Bowl berth and $500K+ dollars. But ACC officials might be even worse this year.

3rd Coast Tiger
December 8th, 2015, 04:23 PM
Some of you just don't know how much this means to several MEAC posters when you say you miss them in the playoffs. xlovex

TSUalum05
December 8th, 2015, 08:30 PM
I just noticed the Air Force Reserve Celebration Bowl featuring the MEAC and the SWAC is on ABC.

citdog
December 8th, 2015, 08:43 PM
What exactly is being celebrated? Irrelevance?

ASU33
December 8th, 2015, 09:07 PM
What exactly is being celebrated? Irrelevance?

What is the Citadel doing on the 19th?

citdog
December 8th, 2015, 09:26 PM
What is the Citadel doing on the 19th?

What does The Citadel have to do with the question I asked? What exactly is being celebrated?????

ASU33
December 8th, 2015, 09:34 PM
What does The Citadel have to do with the question I asked? What exactly is being celebrated?????

Buy a ticket, show up, and find out.

ST_Lawson
December 9th, 2015, 06:50 PM
We don't have a ton of history playing MEAC schools, but I do remember an exciting playoff game we played against Florida A&M at our place back in '98. They brought a great crowd, despite the fact that it was December in Illinois. We won, but they put up a good fight and showed that they belonged in the playoffs (it was the second round, after we'd blown out Montana and they'd defeated Troy State...we'd end up losing the next game against Georgia Southern w/ Adrian Peterson).