PDA

View Full Version : bus trips (bracket regionalization)

JayJ79
November 28th, 2015, 10:10 PM
the committee was able to set up 5 bus trips (<400 miles) out of the 8 games in the first round

and the second round also has 5 bus trips out of the 8 games, (plus JMU/Colgate, which is 432 miles), including several that are within 150 miles (and one that is like 3 miles)

doesn't look like there will be any bus trips for the quarterfinals, though they came dang close with JSU/UTC and CSU/Citadel (I think both Jacksonville and Chatty are just over 400 miles from Charleston)

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 28th, 2015, 10:12 PM
Colgate to JMU is literally 2 or 3 turns? That's not an exaggeration...

melloware13
November 28th, 2015, 10:23 PM
Colgate to JMU is literally 2 or 3 turns? That's not an exaggeration...
Yay I-81

Gangtackle11
November 28th, 2015, 10:50 PM
Yay I-81

424.9 miles from Hamilton to Harrisonburg as the crow flies.

MacThor
November 29th, 2015, 12:19 PM
By hyper-regionalizing the early rounds, they eliminated the possibility of bus trips in later rounds.

Back in the 16-team days, there were plenty of semifinal and quarterfinal bus trips, and classic rematch games. Now they've forced all of those games into the first two rounds.

Mr. C
November 29th, 2015, 01:26 PM
The sad thing about The Citadel-Charleston Southern game is that CSU plays in North Charleston at a facility that would be a BAD high school stadium, while a few exits down the road, The Citadel has a nice, refurbished stadium that at one time hosted the I-AA championship game. Too bad the game isn't in Charleston, instead of North Charleston.

By the way, some research I did a few years back showed that the teams that lose the first time around win the rematch about 75% of the time in FCS history.

- - - Updated - - -

By hyper-regionalizing the early rounds, they eliminated the possibility of bus trips in later rounds.

Back in the 16-team days, there were plenty of semifinal and quarterfinal bus trips, and classic rematch games. Now they've forced all of those games into the first two rounds.
I wish the rule was still there avoiding conference matchups until the semifinals.

MacThor
November 29th, 2015, 01:31 PM
By the way, some research I did a few years back showed that the teams that lose the first time around win the rematch about 75% of the time in FCS history.
I wish the rule was still there avoiding conference matchups until the semifinals.

I don't like that 75% figure!
At least quarterfinals. With some conferences getting 5 teams in, avoiding all conference matchups until the semis would be impossible.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 29th, 2015, 03:33 PM
the committee was able to set up 5 bus trips (<400 miles) out of the 8 games in the first round

and the second round also has 5 bus trips out of the 8 games, (plus JMU/Colgate, which is 432 miles), including several that are within 150 miles (and one that is like 3 miles)

doesn't look like there will be any bus trips for the quarterfinals, though they came dang close with JSU/UTC and CSU/Citadel (I think both Jacksonville and Chatty are just over 400 miles from Charleston)

Is the rule that it HAS to be a bus trip if it's under 400 miles and HAS to be a plane trip if it's over 400 miles? Because I'd bet good money that Colgate would bus that trip to Harrisonburg.

CFBfan
November 29th, 2015, 03:36 PM
Is the rule that it HAS to be a bus trip if it's under 400 miles and HAS to be a plane trip if it's over 400 miles? Because I'd bet good money that Colgate would bus that trip to Harrisonburg.

please define "good money" lfn cause you just lost it as gate is flying to jmu

Lehigh Football Nation
November 29th, 2015, 03:38 PM
please define "good money" lfn cause you just lost it as gate is flying to jmu

Did they have an option? I may need to ask that question.

PantherRob82
November 29th, 2015, 04:02 PM

We can bus to Normal if we played Illinois State in the semis.

JayJ79
November 29th, 2015, 04:25 PM

it's probably a matter of the NCAA (or more specifically, the travel agency appointed by the NCAA) sets up the travel, at least for the "official traveling party" (for which there are specific definitions for who and how many people can be a part of that party).

melloware13
November 29th, 2015, 04:31 PM
it's probably a matter of the NCAA (or more specifically, the travel agency appointed by the NCAA) sets up the travel, at least for the "official traveling party" (for which there are specific definitions for who and how many people can be a part of that party).
NCAA sets travel, and won't pay for flights for trips under 400 miles. I figure if a flight would be a hassle, they'd bus over 400 but probably not more than 600. School has no say for official party, other than contacting local bus company for bus rides either from school to game or school to airport

ElCid
November 29th, 2015, 04:45 PM
The sad thing about The Citadel-Charleston Southern game is that CSU plays in North Charleston at a facility that would be a BAD high school stadium, while a few exits down the road, The Citadel has a nice, refurbished stadium that at one time hosted the I-AA championship game. Too bad the game isn't in Charleston, instead of North Charleston.

I like it, I like it! I got that impression also just doing a casual review, did not do the detailed stats. Not sure it still holds true in the last couple years. I may have to crunch the numbers for kicks and giggles.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2015, 04:48 PM
Is it a certainty that a Montana-UNI game will be in Missoula? There's a chance I'm in Chicago the weekend of the 12th/13th.

Grizzlies82
November 29th, 2015, 05:03 PM
Is it a certainty that a Montana-UNI game will be in Missoula? There's a chance I'm in Chicago the weekend of the 12th/13th.

I'd call it a very high probability rather than a certainty. Still time to change your tickets.

JayJ79
November 29th, 2015, 05:14 PM

I really don't see UNI outbidding Montana.

CFBfan
November 29th, 2015, 05:35 PM

not sure why you would think/speculate gate would rather bus than fly

Lehigh Football Nation
November 29th, 2015, 05:45 PM
not sure why you would think/speculate gate would rather bus than fly

If the NCAA "pays" for it wither way so may as well fly? Or does anything come out of Colgate's pockets?

PantherRob82
November 29th, 2015, 09:01 PM

I don't see anyway that game takes place in Cedar Falls.