PDA

View Full Version : Northern Iowa @ Portland State pre-game chatter

PantherRob82
November 28th, 2015, 09:37 PM
I'm skeptical on which UNI team shows up, but I'm also skeptical on Portland State.

I could see either team winning by 14 or anything in between.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 28th, 2015, 09:41 PM
Going with fellow Valley member UNI in this one.

JALMOND
November 28th, 2015, 10:02 PM
Obvious. Playing 4 of your last 5 games inside a nice, comfy dome? We'll see if we can dial up that monsoon that blew in for the Griz game. xnodx

Besides, I thought most of you in northern Iowa were Vike fans anyway (even if they don't spell the abbreviation correct). xlolx

Seriously, those of you making the trip out here, have a safe one. xthumbsupx

No_Skill
November 28th, 2015, 10:03 PM
UNI by 40. xlolx

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 28th, 2015, 10:04 PM
I'll take Portland State given the extra week to prepare. I've been on the Vikings bandwagon since mid-October....

ngineer
November 28th, 2015, 10:05 PM
I've been impressed with PSU's offense this year and think it may be more than UNI can handle, but I expect the Panthers to be close.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
November 28th, 2015, 10:07 PM
UNI by 40. xlolx

At least 40

Casey_Orourke
November 28th, 2015, 10:09 PM
We've been the underdogs all season and that's the way we like it.

PantherRob82
November 28th, 2015, 10:38 PM
Obvious. Playing 4 of your last 5 games inside a nice, comfy dome? We'll see if we can dial up that monsoon that blew in for the Griz game. xnodx

Besides, I thought most of you in northern Iowa were Vike fans anyway (even if they don't spell the abbreviation correct). xlolx

Seriously, those of you making the trip out here, have a safe one. xthumbsupx

NE Iowa is 25% Viking fans at best.

JALMOND
November 28th, 2015, 10:42 PM

Hey, we don't care. We'll take them. xnodx :D

JSUSoutherner
November 28th, 2015, 10:44 PM
At least 40

Lol here we go again...

Nah, I can see it going to either team. UNI played some dang good football today but I feel like PSU will come rested and that along with a very dominating offense and a home field advantage will give PSU the win in a competitive game.

Casey_Orourke
November 28th, 2015, 10:46 PM

Which? Us or that team that resides and plays in Minnesota?

JayJ79
November 28th, 2015, 10:51 PM

weather forecast for Portland next Saturday currently sits at mid to upper 40s, 70% chance of rain, and about an 11 mph wind.

of course if your weather out there is anything like ours, that forecast will change 3 or 4 times between now and then.

JALMOND
November 28th, 2015, 10:52 PM
weather forecast for Portland next Saturday currently sits at mid to upper 40s, 70% chance of rain, and about an 11 mph wind.

of course if your weather out there is anything like ours, that forecast will change 3 or 4 times between now and then.

I'll be surprised if it is 72 degrees and no wind, however.xnodx

Bisonwinagn
November 28th, 2015, 10:59 PM
This is the best game of the second round specifically because it's not a rematch. How exciting to watch 2 teams that haven't already played this year. I think the intangibles favor PSU especially the midnight start or whatever it is and a road game for UNI. I have no idea who will win, but I don't want to face UNI again so I'm picking PSU.

clenz
November 28th, 2015, 11:01 PM

It's almost like UNI can't, and doesn't, practice outside in Iowa elements - which in the last week or so has seen 13 inches of snow, over an inch of rain, multiple days with winds over 30-40 mph...

xcoffeex

I'm not sure UNI's offense is one that the elements will cause a ton of issues with. UNI has run the ball 563 times this year. Thrown just 278. That's just a touch over 2:1 run to pass.

The last few games have been
EIU - 11 pass plays 58 run plays (6.1 ypc)
SIU - 20 pass plays 52 run plays (6.0 ypc)
MSU - 15 pass plays 63 run plays (7.0 ypc)
ISUB - 13 pass plays 57 run plays (4.0 ypc)
USD - 27 pass plays 51 run plays (3.0 ypc)

So, in the last 5 that is 281 runs and just 86 passes. That's about 3.5 runs for every pass

I don't know what to expect, but weather being a huge factor for the UNI offense seems a bit misguided in it's thinking

JALMOND
November 28th, 2015, 11:15 PM
It's better to talk about the weather than the fact that this year, Portland State is 1-2 against teams with "North" in their name (won against North Texas, lost to North Dakota and Northern Colorado).

PantherRob82
November 28th, 2015, 11:24 PM
Lol here we go again...

Nah, I can see it going to either team. UNI played some dang good football today but I feel like PSU will come rested and that along with a very dominating offense and a home field advantage will give PSU the win in a competitive game.

Some teams come out rested, others come out rusty. :D

JSUSoutherner
November 28th, 2015, 11:25 PM
Some teams come out rusted, others come out rusty. :D

No kidding.

clenz
November 28th, 2015, 11:25 PM
Some teams come out rusted, others come out rusty. :D
I'm also not sure what home-field advantage they are going to get from the 4K people that will be there

PantherRob82
November 28th, 2015, 11:27 PM
It's better to talk about the weather than the fact that this year, Portland State is 1-2 against teams with "North" in their name (won against North Texas, lost to North Dakota and Northern Colorado).

It's all that northern speed.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm also not sure what home-field advantage they are going to get from the 4K people that will be there
It could be a huge crowd if they tell people it's a Timbers game. :D

JSUSoutherner
November 28th, 2015, 11:27 PM

Compared to the luxury of a climate controlled dome I imagine a late kick off, a long travel over, and the elements will be factors working against UNI regardless of the attendance.

PantherRob82
November 28th, 2015, 11:29 PM
Compared to the luxury of a climate controlled dome I imagine a late kick off, a long travel over, and the elements will be factors working against UNI regardless of the attendance.

Dang it, now we'll have to bump this post. xlolx

JSUSoutherner
November 28th, 2015, 11:30 PM

Well excuse me for having opinions. Lol

UNI Pike
November 28th, 2015, 11:32 PM

4,001. I'm in.

First time in Portland in 10 years.

What is the expected ticket price?

Bisonoline
November 28th, 2015, 11:32 PM

Those are some pretty big hurdles to over come. xlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaox

clenz
November 28th, 2015, 11:36 PM
Cal Poly earlier this year was a later kick off for UNI than this will be.

Jumped out to a 34-7 in that one

JSUSoutherner
November 28th, 2015, 11:38 PM
Cal Poly earlier this year was a later kick off for UNI than this will be.

Jumped out to a 34-7 in that one

Cal Poly isn't in the playoffs or the same team that managed to take down Wazzou. I'm not saying UNI will lose, I'm just saying it could be a factor. My bracket prediction is 34-31 PSU. So there. When my bracket busts you can use that as your pathway to gloating. I think it will stay close. Unlike EIU, PSU actually has an offense.

clenz
November 28th, 2015, 11:40 PM
Cal Poly isn't in the playoffs or the same team that managed to take down Wazzou. I'm not saying UNI will lose, I'm just saying it could be a factor. My bracket prediction is 34-31 PSU. So there. When my bracket busts you can use that as your pathway to gloating. I think it will stay close, unlike EIU, PSU actually has an offense.
Meh.

You've already shown your ignorance about the MVFC and UNI. I'll let this game be it's own thing.

JSUSoutherner
November 28th, 2015, 11:41 PM
Meh.

You've already shown your ignorance about the MVFC and UNI. I'll let this game be it's own thing.

Hey, I actually owned up to it.

I wouldn't call one missed score ignorance? I had UNI winning and they did, just by more than I expected. I also had SDSU winning and they got beat. And I have an MVC team in Frisco. So you can call MVC ignorance all you want, I don't care. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. If I'm right, good for me.

clenz
November 28th, 2015, 11:42 PM
Kinda...but not really.xdontknowx

JayJ79
November 28th, 2015, 11:43 PM
It could be a huge crowd if they tell people it's a Timbers game. :D

alas, the vuvuzelas are disallowed, per NCAA playoff regulations

BisonFan02
November 28th, 2015, 11:45 PM

I wouldn't call one missed score ignorance? I had UNI winning and they did, just by more than I expected. I also had SDSU winning and they got their **** knocked. So you can call MVC ignorance all you want, I don't care. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. If I'm right, good for me.

No worries. Eventually UNI will crap their pants and fans will want to fire everyone. It'll happen sometime between the quarters or semis....but probably not next week. :D

PantherRob82
November 28th, 2015, 11:45 PM
Cal Poly isn't in the playoffs or the same team that managed to take down Wazzou. I'm not saying UNI will lose, I'm just saying it could be a factor. My bracket prediction is 34-31 PSU. So there. When my bracket busts you can use that as your pathway to gloating. I think it will stay close. Unlike EIU, PSU actually has an offense.

Do you think Portland State could beat WSU if they played in the back half of the season?

JSUSoutherner
November 28th, 2015, 11:46 PM
No worries. Eventually UNI will crap their pants and fans will want to fire everyone. It'll happen sometime between the quarters or semis....but probably not next week. :D

I have this game being close and the winner of this game getting monkey stomped by NDSU. So yeah, probably.

PantherRob82
November 28th, 2015, 11:46 PM

The quarters would be beyond my expectations for this team.

JSUSoutherner
November 28th, 2015, 11:49 PM
Do you think Portland State could beat WSU if they played in the back half of the season?

Well, Washington did... Soooo. Maybe.

JALMOND
November 28th, 2015, 11:59 PM
4,001. I'm in.

First time in Portland in 10 years.

What is the expected ticket price?

$30 Reserved, $20 general admission. Visitors side is on the west side of the stadium (Multnomah Athletic Club on your right).

Have a good and safe trip.xthumbsupx

JayJ79
November 28th, 2015, 11:59 PM
I also had SDSU winning and they got their **** knocked.

didn't SDSU only lose by 7 on the road at Wa-Griz? not the best of showings, perhaps. but I'd hardly call that getting their **** knocked.

JSUSoutherner
November 29th, 2015, 12:01 AM
didn't SDSU only lose by 7 on the road at Wa-Griz? not the best of showings, perhaps. but I'd hardly call that getting their **** knocked.

Oh wow, you're right. I quit paying attention when I went into the movie theatre and never checked after. It was 24-0 when I left. Lol

Still, they let me down. I needed an SDSU win for the sake of my bracket. :(

Casey_Orourke
November 29th, 2015, 01:57 AM
I registered on Panthernation.com, so I can visit and say hello and share (I promise no bravado or smack), but it won't let me post to any threads. If anybody here is an admin there or knows an admin, could you please help me out?

UNI Pike
November 29th, 2015, 02:04 AM
I believe that a mod will need to approve your signup first (it's been a while, so maybe this is not accurate?). Really, they only screen for spam bots and LakesBison. So probably within a day at most.

Casey_Orourke
November 29th, 2015, 02:12 AM
I believe that a mod will need to approve your signup first (it's been a while, so maybe this is not accurate?). Really, they only screen for spam bots and LakesBison. So probably within a day at most.

I registered last week after the selection committee announced the game

UNI Pike
November 29th, 2015, 02:14 AM
Send me a pm with your user name on pn.com. I will forward to a mod.

Sorry for the hangup. Probably something tied to you being located in China (apparently Donald Trump owns our board...)

From my NSA monitored nexus 5

Casey_Orourke
November 29th, 2015, 02:25 AM
Send me a pm with your user name on pn.com. I will forward to a mod.

Sorry for the hangup. Probably something tied to you being located in China (apparently Donald Trump owns our board...)

Done

Casey_Orourke
November 29th, 2015, 03:39 AM
Now that the Beavers are "stick a fork in them" done and Ducks are awaiting a probable middle to lower echelon bowl invitation, the Viks and Panthers will definitely be the best show in town. Hopefully it will work out to a great crowd and the football gods willing a PSU victory over a good UNI team.

Houndawg
November 29th, 2015, 07:06 AM
UNI should win with ease if they show up.

dewey
November 29th, 2015, 07:30 AM
I have this game being close and the winner of this game getting monkey stomped by NDSU.

I like your thinking:-)

I am looking forward to seeing this game and I think PSU wins at least I hope they win.

Dewey

caribbeanhen
November 29th, 2015, 07:43 AM

and some guy named Hawker or something like that...... i

Lehigh'98
November 29th, 2015, 08:06 AM
34-21 UNI. Setting up a great game against NDSU (assuming they hold serve). I don't think most Bison fans want anything to do with UNI winning this game here.

Professor Chaos
November 29th, 2015, 08:20 AM
Portland St has a pretty average run defense allowing 4.42 ypc and 173 ypg (68th in the nation) on the year. That may be bad news for them against UNI. They need to force UNI to the air as Bailey us much less efficient with his arm than he is with his legs.

Professor Chaos
November 29th, 2015, 08:32 AM
34-21 UNI. Setting up a great game against NDSU (assuming they hold serve). I don't think most Bison fans want anything to do with UNI winning this game here.
You're right about that but if it does happen it would give the Bison defense a chance to avenge their 2nd most embarrassing performance of the year (with this week giving them a chance to avenge the most embarrassing one).

slostang
November 29th, 2015, 09:00 AM
Portland St has a pretty average run defense allowing 4.42 ypc and 173 ypg (68th in the nation) on the year. That may be bad news for them against UNI. They need to force UNI to the air as Bailey us much less efficient with his arm than he is with his legs.
UNI rush defense gave up 350 yards (5.2 per carry) to Cal Poly.
PSU rush defense gave up 420 yards (5.9 per carry) to Cal Poly.

Advantage UNI, but not by much.

clenz
November 29th, 2015, 09:21 AM

I didn't watch the PSU/Poly game, but outside of a couple big runs by your QB your run game was pretty well shut down by UNI. I had the numbers at one point, but I believe about half your yards came on 10 carries.

Hammerhead
November 29th, 2015, 10:34 AM
For UNI fans -- there is a light rail stop at the stadium so you could get by without renting a car if you fly in. Check out Voodoo Doughnut when you are in town.

UNIFanSince1983
November 29th, 2015, 11:04 AM
Do not like that I had to vote before posting in this thread. Obviously won't vote against UNI, but don't like to vote for them. If we lose I blame it on this thread and me having to vote for UNI prior to posting.

However, this game is very scary. PSU is an extremely talented team. They are hungry as they haven't been to the playoffs in a while. Had an extra week to scout, and should be a little bit fresher. Should be a great game on Saturday. Don't like that I have to wait so long on Saturday night to watch it though.

JALMOND
November 29th, 2015, 11:32 AM
For UNI fans -- there is a light rail stop at the stadium so you could get by without renting a car if you fly in. Check out Voodoo Doughnut when you are in town.

You'd need to take a taxi to Voodoo Donuts, then. Ultimate tourist trap. xthumbsupx

The best way to get to the stadium is light rail as parking is a premium nearby. However, many brewpubs downtown within the light rail system so that's pretty cool. Also, it is a public stadium, not a school stadium so alcohol is sold inside.

JayJ79
November 29th, 2015, 11:35 AM

how long does the ritual take to associate the donut with the intended target before tearing it apart?

Professor Chaos
November 29th, 2015, 11:40 AM

The run defenses might be comparable (in their one matchup against a common opponent) but their offensive philosophies differ which is why I think PSU's run defense is going to be key. PSU actually has an even better run offense than UNI going strictly by the numbers but UNI relies much more on their run game hence why I think PSU's ability or inability to stop the run will be the deciding factor in this game.

PantherRob82
November 29th, 2015, 11:43 AM

I would not rent a car if you fly in. You can get a metro pass for trains and busses. Busses are clean and not ghetto.

Check out Voodoo Donut, and if you like beer check out Burnside Brewing, Belmont Station, Horse Brass Pub (especially for Thursday lunch special), Cascade if you are into sours.

If you like books, Powell's is a fun store to check out.

PantherRob82
November 29th, 2015, 11:46 AM
Do not like that I had to vote before posting in this thread. Obviously won't vote against UNI, but don't like to vote for them. If we lose I blame it on this thread and me having to vote for UNI prior to posting.

I didn't see an option to turn that off. xembarrassedx

- - - Updated - - -

You'd need to take a taxi to Voodoo Donuts, then. Ultimate tourist trap. xthumbsupx

The best way to get to the stadium is light rail as parking is a premium nearby. However, many brewpubs downtown within the light rail system so that's pretty cool. Also, it is a public stadium, not a school stadium so alcohol is sold inside.

The trolley system is fine, too. I never took a taxi once in my week in Portland. All trains and a few buses.

- - - Updated - - -

how long does the ritual take to associate the donut with the intended target before tearing it apart?

No rituals, but the lines can be long. :)

UNI Pike
November 29th, 2015, 12:31 PM
Both teams also played eastern Washington, not a rushing powerhouse

Grizalltheway
November 29th, 2015, 04:26 PM

No, it pretty much always rains in Portland.

PantherRob82
November 29th, 2015, 04:34 PM
I registered on Panthernation.com, so I can visit and say hello and share (I promise no bravado or smack), but it won't let me post to any threads. If anybody here is an admin there or knows an admin, could you please help me out?

You need to reply to some threads before it lets you post a new one.

Grizzlies82
November 29th, 2015, 05:00 PM
I believe Portland State wins this one. Expect that they will score in bunches against No Iowa. However, since the Grizzlies will be beating No Dakota State, I'd like UNI to pull off the win. That could set up one more game in Missoula. I can only make the playoff games there so go Panthers, and of course go Griz!

Panther-State
November 29th, 2015, 05:40 PM
Really not sure what to expect in this one as I haven't seen much of Portland St this year (check that, I've seen 0 plays from them). I don't think comparing stats will do us much good, although having 2 common opponents make it a bit more reasonable.

Homer pick:
UNI 27
PSU 23

Casey_Orourke
November 29th, 2015, 06:58 PM
I would not rent a car if you fly in. You can get a metro pass for trains and busses. Busses are clean and not ghetto.

Check out Voodoo Donut, and if you like beer check out Burnside Brewing, Belmont Station, Horse Brass Pub (especially for Thursday lunch special), Cascade if you are into sours.

If you like books, Powell's is a fun store to check out.

Actually you don't even need that. Unless things have changed, buses and light rail in the downtown core are free (fareless square) . You only have to pay if you l leave the downtown area. But do be careful if you do rent a car, the streets downtown while wide and spacious, are a gridwork of one ways with the diamond lanes dedicated to Tri-Met buses.

Bisonator
November 29th, 2015, 07:14 PM
I think UNI wins this one. Their defense is better then any PSU has faced. If UND can beat PSU with a porous pass defense UNI will shut them down and UNI's offense is looking very good right now. Bailey has surprised me a bit with his passing. He's actually hitting some of those passes now. xlolx

Twentysix
November 29th, 2015, 07:26 PM

Voodoo donuts is terrible. Check out pine state biscuits. So good.

clenz
November 29th, 2015, 07:32 PM
Hy Vee and Caseys are tough to beat on the donut street

BisonFan02
November 29th, 2015, 07:40 PM

Sandy's..... /thread :D

clenz
November 29th, 2015, 07:53 PM
Okay

I'm not a big donut guy so I'm easily swayed on this topic.

Pizza and bratwurst, OTOH...

TheRevSFA
November 29th, 2015, 07:58 PM
I hope some of you UNI fans make the trip out. Portland is a great city and the entire NW corner of Oregon is worth seeing. I hope I get an excuse to make the trip back

BisonFan02
November 29th, 2015, 08:29 PM
Okay

I'm not a big donut guy so I'm easily swayed on this topic.

Pizza and bratwurst, OTOH...

Time for some Wurst Bier Hall? :D

skinny_uncle
November 29th, 2015, 08:42 PM
I'm not betting against a UNI team on a six game winning streak. They have gotten hot at the right time of the year.

PantherRob82
November 29th, 2015, 08:55 PM
Actually you don't even need that. Unless things have changed, buses and light rail in the downtown core are free (fareless square) . You only have to pay if you l leave the downtown area. But do be careful if you do rent a car, the streets downtown while wide and spacious, are a gridwork of one ways with the diamond lanes dedicated to Tri-Met buses.

If you fly in you have to get downtown somehow. ;)

PantherRob82
November 29th, 2015, 08:57 PM

VooDoo is more about interesting donuts. Hy-Vee and Casey's don't have anything comparable. (although some Hy-Vee's do get very creative)

clenz
November 29th, 2015, 09:03 PM
Time for some Wurst Bier Hall? :D
You have no idea the pregnancy cravings I've gotten.

clenz
November 29th, 2015, 09:12 PM
I think UNI wins this one. Their defense is better then any PSU has faced. If UND can beat PSU with a porous pass defense UNI will shut them down and UNI's offense is looking very good right now. Bailey has surprised me a bit with his passing. He's actually hitting some of those passes now. xlolx
I was as anti-Bailey as anyone early in the year. He's really grown on me as the offense has been geared to him. He has the ability to throw a real nice ball.

Since becoming the full time starter here are his game break downs

Eastern Illinois:
7-11 162 yards 3 TD 0 INT
Southern Illinois:
14-20 181 yards 2 TD 0INT
Missouri State:
4-12 61 yards 1 INT
Indiana State:
8-13 114 yards 1 TD 0 INT
South Dakota:
16-27 231 yards 1 TD 0 INT
South Dakota State:
8-17 113 yards 0 TD 0 INT

That's 57-100 (57%) 862 yards 8 TD 1 INT 153.808 passer rating

That's not too damn shabby, especially for a QB who is also running for about 110 yards and 2 or 3 TD per game on top of that. He won't blow anyone away throwing the ball, but he's shown he's good enough to beat a team with his arm should they try to cheat too much on the run (if that's possible to do on a team running the ball 55 times per game and throwing 15xlolx

JALMOND
November 29th, 2015, 09:13 PM

The light rail does run out to the airport. xsmiley_wix

Grizalltheway
November 29th, 2015, 09:15 PM

You can take the MAX from PDX to downtown.

JALMOND
November 29th, 2015, 09:18 PM
I was as anti-Bailey as anyone early in the year. He's really grown on me as the offense has been geared to him. He has the ability to throw a real nice ball.

Since becoming the full time starter here are his game break downs

Eastern Illinois:
Southern Illinois:
Missouri State:
4-12 61 yards 1 INT
Indiana State:
South Dakota:
South Dakota State:

That's not too damn shabby, especially for a QB who is also running for about 110 yards and 2 or 3 TD per game on top of that. He won't blow anyone away throwing the ball, but he's shown he's good enough to beat a team with his arm should they try to cheat too much on the run (if that's possible to do on a team running the ball 55 times per game and throwing 15xlolx

Sounds very similar to our quarterback, Kuresa. Very much a running quarterback, but he can throw the ball with accuracy when he needs to. The more I look at the matchups in this game, and the more I hear about UNI, I think this is going to be a really good, competitive game.

I like this playoffs thing. I think we should try to do this again next year. xthumbsupx xlolx

Casey_Orourke
November 29th, 2015, 09:19 PM

There is a Max line (light rail) from the airport to the downtown core.

IBleedYellow
November 29th, 2015, 09:31 PM
UND beat PSU.

That's all you need to know, really.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

UNI Pike
November 29th, 2015, 09:36 PM
I'm going to the game, and not renting a car. Mostly as a protest against the bs law against self service gas pumping in Oregon.

clenz
November 29th, 2015, 09:52 PM
I'm going to the game, and not renting a car. Mostly as a protest against the bs law against self service gas pumping in Oregon.

From my NSA monitored nexus 5Wait...

What?

clenz
November 29th, 2015, 10:08 PM
Sounds very similar to our quarterback, Kuresa. Very much a running quarterback, but he can throw the ball with accuracy when he needs to. The more I look at the matchups in this game, and the more I hear about UNI, I think this is going to be a really good, competitive game.

I like this playoffs thing. I think we should try to do this again next year. xthumbsupx xlolx
Bailey's run stats during those 5 games added...sack numbers included

Eastern Illinois:
18 carries 72 yards (4.0 YPC) 0 TD

Southern Illinois:
21 carries 131 yards (6.2 YPC) 3 TD

Missouri State:
4-12 61 yards 1 INT
19 carries 161 yards (8.5 ypc) 4 TD

Indiana State:
22 carries 54 yards (2.5 YPC) 4 TD (the TD runs being 1, 1, 2, and 6 yards)

South Dakota:
23 carries 44 yards (1.9 ypc) 1 TD - lost 36 yards on 5 sacks....4.4 ypc on his other carries

South Dakota State:
23 carries 169 yards (7.3 ypc) 1 TD

That's 126 carries for 631 yards (5.0 ypc) 13 TD
That's 1,493 yards of offense, 21 touchdowns, and just 1 turnover (I guess I didn't look for fumbles...oops) in 6 games.

Thankfully it's not just him running the ball. Tyvis Smith has really come on now that UNI has also stopped trying to use 7 running backs in each game. He has 3 straight 100 yard games (I believe) and would bet he's averaging about 80-90 yards per game over the 6 game win streak. He's averaging 5.6 ypc on the season (a half yard more than Bailey is, fwiw)

Something has changed in the play calling at UNI, and I really like it by the second quarter of each game. The issue, and we saw it big time against EIU, is that it's almost like the first 15-20 plays of each game are scripted. That means there's no rhythm, no adjusting for how the defense is playing, no real play making for the first quarter or so. Can get away with that agianst SIU, EIU, USD, etc... but not against any team we'll face from here on out.

UNI Pike
November 29th, 2015, 10:11 PM
It's currently illegal to pump your own gas in Oregon and New Jersey. Apparently too many untrained people setting themselves and others on fire...

clenz
November 29th, 2015, 10:14 PM
It's currently illegal to pump your own gas in Oregon and New Jersey. Apparently too many untrained people setting themselves and others on fire...

Jesus ****...

Stereotypes of *insert direction* coasters are being confirmed more and more every day...

Grizalltheway
November 29th, 2015, 10:28 PM
Jesus ****...

Stereotypes of *insert direction* coasters are being confirmed more and more every day...
It is BS, but it's a job preservation thing, not because people are setting themselves on fire.

clenz
November 29th, 2015, 10:32 PM
It is BS, but it's a job preservation thing, not because people are setting themselves on fire.
So I can't fill my own car because the think someone needs to be paid to pump my gas?

If they want to keep someone on staff to be around to do that when requested, that's great. My hometown gas station (as many small town family owned gas stations do...or did until very recently) kept people around to clean windows and pump fuel for those that wanted, but it was never mandatory.

Does that impact price at the pump? Do they build that in to the taxes and surcharges?

UNI Pike
http://weaponsman.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Thich-Quang-Duc-burns-1963-Browne.jpg

F'N Hawks
From what I have seen of PSU and very limited clips of UNI, I have to lean to UNI.

I think the Viks are gonna struggle to run the ball vs. UNI. If they can't run they are in trouble. Against UND they couldn't run much at all, 30 for 97 yards. UNIs D is better than UNDs.

Also, the only two teams that wanted to play physical, run first football (UND and Poly) ran all over PSU.

Love what PSU did this year but not liking this matchup at all.

UNI Pike
November 29th, 2015, 10:38 PM
I believe I saw that PSU ran for about 10 & 12 YPC against MT ST & North Texas, respectively. (Both head coaches fired, BTW).

If UNI gives up that kind of rushing yardage, Farley may make the team find their own way home.

clenz
November 29th, 2015, 10:43 PM
I believe I saw that PSU ran for about 10 & 12 YPC against MT ST & North Texas, respectively. (Both head coaches fired, BTW).

If UNI gives up that kind of rushing yardage, Farley may make the team find their own way home.

I imagine Farley is pissed about the 3.2 EIU got.

The 6.6 that SIU had? I definitly would not have wanted to be in those meetings. Even though outside of Isom's 2 third quarter runs SIU had 91 yards on 29 carries (3.1 ypc).

I imagine PSU will be between 4.4 and 4.8 YPC. Likely will score 24-27 points. It's if UNI's offense can get to 30

JayJ79
November 29th, 2015, 10:56 PM

I wonder if such laws cut down on driveoffs as well.

Casey_Orourke
November 29th, 2015, 11:19 PM
From what I have seen of PSU and very limited clips of UNI, I have to lean to UNI.

I think the Viks are gonna struggle to run the ball vs. UNI. If they can't run they are in trouble. Against UND they couldn't run much at all, 30 for 97 yards. UNIs D is better than UNDs.

Also, the only two teams that wanted to play physical, run first football (UND and Poly) ran all over PSU.

Love what PSU did this year but not liking this matchup at all.

In the UND game, Barnum stuck to the play chart and tried beat UND at their own game, mainly because he thought Alex was to new to the system to do well at the passing side. So for NT he said he simplified it and let Alex go for it.

Also our O-line was just blowing the NT defense off the line and by the time somebody came up to tackle our runner was in the secondary. I downloaded and watched the NT game and the NT announcers kept harping that the safeties and corners were to busy trying to stop the run game instead of covering the receivers.

For Cal Poly Barnum said in the 3rd quarter he ditched the play chart and told Alex to improvise, which he did with great success.

When we played Northern Colorado we had some players out with some minor injuries, but also we had some players get sick just before the game. One was Schlatter who had a false positive for Mono.

But hopefully with this bye week, we have been able to get everybody healthy and rested and they will be ready to meet UNI and give them one hell of a game.

PantherRob82
November 29th, 2015, 11:20 PM
There is a Max line (light rail) from the airport to the downtown core.

My point was that the ride from the airport to downtown was not free on my last visit. ;)

Casey_Orourke
November 29th, 2015, 11:24 PM
My point was that the ride from the airport to downtown was not free on my last visit. ;)

It's only free downtown, but even then the max train is still cheaper than the taxis. If you pack light, you'll be ok. Also Oregon doesn't have a sales tax, so what is marked on the price tag is what you will pay.

TheRevSFA
November 29th, 2015, 11:29 PM
Jesus ****...

The fine for littering in Oregon is Class A misdemeanor punishable by a fine up to $6,250, imprisonment up to one year, or both

yep....

JayJ79
November 29th, 2015, 11:43 PM
The fine for littering in Oregon is Class A misdemeanor punishable by a fine up to $6,250, imprisonment up to one year, or both

yep....

good. people need to learn to take care of their own damn trash

UNDOregon
November 30th, 2015, 12:48 AM
Don't want the UNI fans to get a ticket.

As of September 2012, all Portland Trimet rides (MAX light rail, buses, or trolley cars) require a fare. No more fareless rides in downtown/Lloyd Center. Seniors and children can get discount passes/fares. Trimet.org

Casey_Orourke
November 30th, 2015, 12:50 AM
Don't want the UNI fans to get a ticket.

As of September 2012, all Portland Trimet rides (MAX light rail, buses, or trolley cars) require a fare. No more fareless rides in downtown/Lloyd Center. Seniors and children can get discount passes/fares. Trimet.org
bummer

UNDOregon
November 30th, 2015, 01:42 AM

yep....

And, if the UNI fan did get a littering ticket/citation, this is not the one that he would get.

There is nothing shocking about Oregon's littering statutes. There are 3 basic littering statutes in ORS 164.775 to 164.805. The one (ORS 164.785) mentioned by the poster is for placing offensive, polluting substances, such as dead animal carcasses, in water or upon land. This carries a minimum fine of $100 and a maximum of $6,250.

The more run-of-the-mill littering (ORS 164.805) is a class C misdemeanor, which has a minimum of $100 and a max of $1,250. Judges rarely, if ever, order the maximum amounts. The big-pollution statutes are under the state and federal environmental laws.

PantherRob82
November 30th, 2015, 02:43 AM
It's only free downtown, but even then the max train is still cheaper than the taxis. If you pack light, you'll be ok. Also Oregon doesn't have a sales tax, so what is marked on the price tag is what you will pay.

Right, which is why I said we got a pass and rode trains and buses the whole time. :p

UNDOregon
November 30th, 2015, 03:42 AM
Welcome to Portland, UNI!!

Some interesting things about Portland/Oregon:

1. Beer: we have about 70 microbreweries in the city.
2. Wine: we have countless wineries in the Willamette Valley, including some that make award winning Pinot Noir and Pinot Gris/Grigio.
3. Coffee: coffee shops are everywhere, sometimes several on the same small block.
4. Central business district: one of few cities in U.S. with retail stores in its downtown. Stores open at night. Open on Sundays. Small blocks to encourage walking/shopping. All buildings in district required to have retail stores with windows on street level. Buildings built out to sidewalk.
5. Pioneer Courthouse Square: Portland's living room, a mostly-empty block in middle of downtown, ground entirely covered with brick, serves as a gathering place for things like holiday events/activities.
6. Food: Nuts, berries, seafood. Interesting breads. Interesting desserts. Asian choices. Cranberry sauce and/or cream cheese on turkey sandwiches. Many food carts throughout city.
7. Voodoo Doughnuts: line at original store downtown is long at all hours, little or no line at second location on east side of river. I stood in line for more than 2 hours late at night to get a maple bar with bacon. Unusual and interesting choices. voodoodoughnut.com (http://voodoodoughnut.com)
8. Entertainment: more strip clubs per capita than any other city.
9. Powell's Bookstore: biggest bookstore, for new and used books.

PSU deserves a ton of credit for what the team accomplished this year, especially beating Washington State. I hope fans show up for this game.

Go Vikings!

Gil Dobie
November 30th, 2015, 06:54 AM
Pulling for UNI

TheRevSFA
November 30th, 2015, 06:58 AM
And, if the UNI fan did get a littering ticket/citation, this is not the one that he would get.

There is nothing shocking about Oregon's littering statutes. There are 3 basic littering statutes in ORS 164.775 to 164.805. The one (ORS 164.785) mentioned by the poster is for placing offensive, polluting substances, such as dead animal carcasses, in water or upon land. This carries a minimum fine of $100 and a maximum of $6,250.

The more run-of-the-mill littering (ORS 164.805) is a class C misdemeanor, which has a minimum of $100 and a max of $1,250. Judges rarely, if ever, order the maximum amounts. The big-pollution statutes are under the state and federal environmental laws.

That's good to hear. I remember driving between Portland and Astoria and seeing the littering sign and doing a double take.

Not it a slight against Oregon. If I could move to our plant in Portland, I would in a heartbeat

jtthenutt
November 30th, 2015, 09:36 AM
Welcome to Portland, UNI!!

Some interesting things about Portland/Oregon:

1. Beer: we have about 70 microbreweries in the city.
2. Wine: we have countless wineries in the Willamette Valley, including some that make award winning Pinot Noir and Pinot Gris/Grigio.
3. Coffee: coffee shops are everywhere, sometimes several on the same small block.
4. Central business district: one of few cities in U.S. with retail stores in its downtown. Stores open at night. Open on Sundays. Small blocks to encourage walking/shopping. All buildings in district required to have retail stores with windows on street level. Buildings built out to sidewalk.
5. Pioneer Courthouse Square: Portland's living room, a mostly-empty block in middle of downtown, ground entirely covered with brick, serves as a gathering place for things like holiday events/activities.
6. Food: Nuts, berries, seafood. Interesting breads. Interesting desserts. Asian choices. Cranberry sauce and/or cream cheese on turkey sandwiches. Many food carts throughout city.
7. Voodoo Doughnuts: line at original store downtown is long at all hours, little or no line at second location on east side of river. I stood in line for more than 2 hours late at night to get a maple bar with bacon. Unusual and interesting choices. voodoodoughnut.com (http://voodoodoughnut.com)
8. Entertainment: more strip clubs per capita than any other city.
9. Powell's Bookstore: biggest bookstore, for new and used books.

PSU deserves a ton of credit for what the team accomplished this year, especially beating Washington State. I hope fans show up for this game.

Go Vikings!

El Gaucho's still around? I had the best steak of my life there. Baseball cut with a giant mushroom on top. Loved Portland, cleanest city I've ever been too. I'd love to be at the game but can't justify the ridiculous airfare from Des Moines.

PantherRob82
November 30th, 2015, 10:13 AM
Loved Portland, cleanest city I've ever been too.

I agree. It's on my list of places I wouldn't mind living.

veinup
November 30th, 2015, 10:18 AM
Portland is clean because all of the misdemeanor litterers are doing one year jail terms.

Grizzlies82
November 30th, 2015, 10:20 AM
Portland is clean because all of the misdemeanor litterers are doing one year jail terms.

Portland is clean because it rains 360 days a year.

PS. I do enjoy Portland (on the five days it is not raining).

THE HERD
November 30th, 2015, 10:21 AM
I say the kitties take this one 31-17....Portland St will not be able to run the ball...book it! UNI is as hot as anyone right now and are my dark horse pick to make it to Frisco. Also if we are fortunate enough to take out the Griz this weekend, I don't believe we win against UNI with Stick at QB.

veinup
November 30th, 2015, 10:27 AM
Portland is clean because it rains 360 days a year. PS. I do enjoy Portland (on the five days it is not raining).

i dunno .. rains quite a lot in my city and its dirty as ****. my neighborhood anyway.

wish i could make it to this game!!! maybe if the griz win ... maybe ...

nmatsen
November 30th, 2015, 11:02 AM
Dumb question looking ahead and I know I shouldn't. Lets say road teams win this week. Its assumed that the next round would be at WaGriz, why? I know the obvious but the NCAA says attendence doesn't matter. Why not the UNI-Dome?

UNIFanSince1983
November 30th, 2015, 11:05 AM
Dumb question looking ahead and I know I shouldn't. Lets say road teams win this week. Its assumed that the next round would be at WaGriz, why? I know the obvious but the NCAA says attendence doesn't matter. Why not the UNI-Dome?

Because Montana more than likely bid more than UNI.

clenz
November 30th, 2015, 11:06 AM
Montana likely bid 3-4x what UNI did, because they have the ticket revenue to cover that.

Montana would draw 24kish at $35 a pop. $840K to bid off of

UNI might get 15k at $10 or $15 a pop. - $150K to bid off of

BisonFan02
November 30th, 2015, 11:20 AM
Montana likely bid 3-4x what UNI did, because they have the ticket revenue to cover that.

Montana would draw 24kish at $35 a pop. $840K to bid off of

UNI might get 15k at $10 or $15 a pop. - $150K to bid off of

This....."mute" point right now though.... :D xlolx

clenz
November 30th, 2015, 11:22 AM
Right.

"Good chance" neither team is playing next weekend.

PantherRob82
November 30th, 2015, 11:27 AM

ass. xlolx

Thumper 76
November 30th, 2015, 12:29 PM
I think PSU is a very good team, but I don't think they match up that great with UNI. After seeing what a strong run defense did to them from UND, I am definitely leaning towards UNI. The start time might mess with them some, but I think they grind down PSU and shut down their offense.

clenz
November 30th, 2015, 12:31 PM
http://wcfcourier.com/sports/college/uni/football/article_43bf45ec-1448-5af7-86e9-bdbc3908d217.html#.VlxeC1GeK_E.twitter

UNI football team OK with another late night on West Coast

CEDAR FALLS | CEDAR FALLS | The way the University of Northern Iowa football team is playing, the Panthers could care less who, when or where they play next.They're just looking forward to another opportunity.

A dominating, 53-17 victory over Eastern Illinois Saturday in the UNI-Dome advanced UNI past the first round of the FCS playoffs for the 14th time in 18 playoff appearances.

The victory earned UNI a trip to Portland, Ore., this Saturday to face sixth-seeded Portland State (9-2) at Providence Park in a 9 p.m. (Central) kickoff.

"I don't care if we play the thing at midnight or 1 o'clock right now," UNI head coach Mark Farley said. "We are just glad that we are playing the kind of football we know, that we have been expecting and have grown into this.

"It didn't just show up one time. It has been a gradual progression of steady football."

While the 9 p.m. West Coast kickoff is not ideal for UNI, it's not new for the Panthers, who played at Cal Poly in week three. That game didn't kick off until 9:37 p.m. Central time and didn't finish until 12:45 a.m.

That was a 34-20 victory for UNI in a game it led 21-0 at the end of one quarter and 28-7 at halftime. Cal Poly scored twice against reserves in the final six minutes to make it a much closer game.

"I will go back and look how we scheduled that trip because you gain hours going that way," Farley said. "We hit on all cylinders last time we were there. But because it worked last time, doesn't mean it will work this time."

Farley said the big thing for UNI was to get back into its normal routine after a week where the Panther athletes didn't have classes leading up to the first-round game with EIU. UNI returns to class Monday as all students begin preparation for finals in the next two weeks.

MORE ON THE LINK

F'N Hawks
November 30th, 2015, 01:05 PM
Panthers are -4.5

BisonFan02
November 30th, 2015, 01:10 PM
Panthers are -4.5

A non seeded team playing a seeded opponent on the road is a 4.5 point favorite? That can't be! xlolx

EDIT: and by the way....I think the Panthers cover that in the first half...if not earlier.

PantherRob82
November 30th, 2015, 01:19 PM
Panthers are -4.5

5dimes?

BisonFan02
November 30th, 2015, 01:21 PM
5dimes?

Yes

PantherRob82
November 30th, 2015, 01:23 PM
I'm shocked. I would guess it pushes the other way with Portland state being seeded and at home. I'd be tempted to take Portland State with 4.5.

BisonFan02
November 30th, 2015, 01:24 PM
I'm shocked. I would guess it pushes the other way with Portland state being seeded and at home. I'd be tempted to take Portland State with 4.5.

No ****ing way....just my humble opinion. :D

jtthenutt
November 30th, 2015, 01:49 PM

you making the road trip this time?

PantherRob82
November 30th, 2015, 02:25 PM
you making the road trip this time?

I wish.

A- I love road trips
B- I love Portland

Too busy even if I could swing the money.

I might be done with football games for the year unless UNI gets W&M at home in the semis or I go to Illinois State for quarters or semis.

jtthenutt
November 30th, 2015, 03:03 PM
I wish.

A- I love road trips
B- I love Portland

Too busy even if I could swing the money.

I might be done with football games for the year unless UNI gets W&M at home in the semis or I go to Illinois State for quarters or semis.

A. Yes
B. Yes

damn the man and his expensive airfare

UNDOregon
November 30th, 2015, 03:33 PM
El Gaucho's still around? I had the best steak of my life there. Baseball cut with a giant mushroom on top. Loved Portland, cleanest city I've ever been too. I'd love to be at the game but can't justify the ridiculous airfare from Des Moines.

Yes, El Gaucho is open and thriving. You are living right! Wonderful food and friendly service. Other great steakhouses in Portland include Morton's, Ringside, and Ruth's Chris. All are within walking distance to stops for the MAX light rail, except Ringside which is on Burnside St. near the stadium.

MAX light rail has a stop next to Providence Park. http://www.providenceparkpdx.com (http://www.providenceparkpdx.com/) As others have said, there is little to no parking at PP and no tailgating. Fans do pregame activities at the nearby bars or at bars downtown next to the light rail lines. Easy to hop on or off.

jtthenutt
November 30th, 2015, 03:39 PM
Yes, El Gaucho is open and thriving. You are living right! Wonderful food and friendly service. Other great steakhouses in Portland include Morton's, Ringside, and Ruth's Chris. All are within walking distance to stops for the MAX light rail, except Ringside which is on Burnside St. near the stadium.

MAX light rail has a stop next to Providence Park. http://www.providenceparkpdx.com (http://www.providenceparkpdx.com/) As others have said, there is little to no parking at PP and no tailgating. Fans do pregame activities at the nearby bars or at bars downtown next to the light rail lines. Easy to hop on or off.

def not on my dime. That's a house payment in some parts of this country

JSUSoutherner
November 30th, 2015, 03:52 PM
Right.

"Good chance" neither team is playing next weekend.

For my bracket's sake, No.

PantherRob82
November 30th, 2015, 04:44 PM
A. Yes
B. Yes

damn the man and his expensive airfare

Flights into PDX suck. I like the airport, but it's more like the Moline Airport than a big city airport.

TheRevSFA
November 30th, 2015, 05:17 PM
Flights into PDX suck. I like the airport, but it's more like the Moline Airport than a big city airport.

But if memory serves me, they have a Rogue bar next to the United gate and they would build you a six pack for the flignt

Hammerhead
November 30th, 2015, 07:13 PM

Pretty much have to connect through Denver or Sea-Tac although there are some direct flights through MSP.

caribbeanhen
November 30th, 2015, 07:28 PM
Are Portland Hipsters better than Cedar Falls hipsters?

who sells the Fried chicken and waffles for 20 Bucks a plate? that would be the Brooklyn hipsters...

UNI Pike
November 30th, 2015, 08:59 PM
Are Portland Hipsters better than Cedar Falls hipsters?

who sells the Fried chicken and waffles for 20 Bucks a plate? that would be the Brooklyn hipsters...
Anyone that changes $20 for chicken and waffles needs to be charged with prostitution, because they are f****ing you hard.

Casey_Orourke
November 30th, 2015, 09:31 PM
If you get there a day early, just across the Ross Island Bridge on Powell Blvd is the Original Hotcake House that is open 24 hours that serves breakfast all day and other meals. My ex-wife and I went there at least twice a week at various times of the day. Their corned beef hash was to die for.

http://www.hotcakehouse.com/

Houndawg
December 1st, 2015, 06:26 AM
A non seeded team playing a seeded opponent on the road is a 4.5 point favorite? That can't be! xlolx

EDIT: and by the way....I think the Panthers cover that in the first half...if not earlier.

UNI should win by three scores. Portland State is no Lehigh.

caribbeanhen
December 1st, 2015, 05:04 PM
Anyone that changes $20 for chicken and waffles needs to be charged with prostitution, because they are f****ing you hard.

NYC prices, I don't know where these kids get all the money from, nobody even complains about the outrages prices there .... oh, They get the money from Daddies annuity

veinup
December 1st, 2015, 08:16 PM
i ate brunch at a delicious portland hipster joint called mother's last time i was there, great spot

Casey_Orourke
December 3rd, 2015, 01:59 PM
bump

JALMOND
December 5th, 2015, 03:49 PM
First of two playoff games between the state of Oregon and the state of Iowa goes to the Beaver State.

Southern Oregon over Morningside, 30-27.

Next game, PSU/UNI.

PantherRob82
December 5th, 2015, 03:52 PM
Only 4 more hours.

JALMOND
December 5th, 2015, 03:59 PM
Weather in Portland right now, 46 degrees, 12 mph wind, and rain. Rain to continue throughout the night, but it is supposed to get warmer during the night into tomorrow morning.

(Al Roker voice)

PantherRob82
December 5th, 2015, 04:17 PM
Weather in Portland right now, 46 degrees, 12 mph wind, and rain. Rain to continue throughout the night, but it is supposed to get warmer during the night into tomorrow morning.

(Al Roker voice)

UNI by 52

BisonFan02
December 5th, 2015, 07:04 PM
UNI.....you guys can just go ahead and lose this one m'kay? :D

PantherRob82
December 5th, 2015, 07:07 PM
UNI.....you guys can just go ahead and lose this one m'kay? :D

I'm sure we will do our best. xlolx

ISUMatt
December 5th, 2015, 07:08 PM
I'd like Northern Iowa if Bailey wasn't their QB...watched him in HS, and his brief disaster at Illinois, and I'm still not a huge fan

caribbeanhen
December 5th, 2015, 07:09 PM
can N Iowa play in the elements ?

PantherRob82
December 5th, 2015, 07:33 PM
can N Iowa play in the elements ?

F*** yes. :D

clenz
December 5th, 2015, 07:35 PM
I'd like Northern Iowa if Bailey wasn't their QB...watched him in HS, and his brief disaster at Illinois, and I'm still not a huge fan

Since becoming the full time starter 6 games ago

57-100 just under 700 yards 8 TD 1 INt
A lot of carries for about 750 yards and 13 TD

Bronco
December 5th, 2015, 08:02 PM
The Vikings are mudders so should do well tonight

JayJ79
December 5th, 2015, 08:02 PM

do you dislike Bailey as much as many UNI fans dislike Coprich?

JayJ79
December 5th, 2015, 08:03 PM
The Vikings are mudders so should do well tonight

their fieldturf has mud? weird

ISUMatt
December 5th, 2015, 08:05 PM
do you dislike Bailey as much as many UNI fans dislike Coprich?

No, obviously I haven't seen all the UNI games so I wasn't completely aware how well he has been lately.

ISUMatt