PDA

View Full Version : 126th meeting between W&M and Richmond

bostonspider
November 28th, 2015, 08:34 PM
Ready for the Tribe to invade Robins Stadium for the second time in a couple of weeks. Not sure where W&M's defense has gone, but their O sure looked great today. I wonder if the Spiders will look to air it out after seeing what Duquesne did today, or will continue with a steady diet of Jacobi Green, combined with the rumored return of Seth Fisher.

paward
November 28th, 2015, 08:45 PM
You cannot script this stuff. Series is 61 wins W&M favor, 59 losses and 5 ties.

spdram
November 28th, 2015, 08:50 PM
Great chance to take 2 in one year -- will pa and the family be making the trip?

Tribal
November 28th, 2015, 08:52 PM
W&M saved our defense for next week. Right?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

spdram
November 28th, 2015, 09:01 PM
I think we can always throw out the records in this series

Stonewall D
November 28th, 2015, 09:07 PM
This will be a great game. The atmosphere will be electric. This will be a game for the ages.

Pard4Life
November 28th, 2015, 10:56 PM
Shoulda bracketed this game for later in the playoffs... can't imagine playing Lehigh two weeks later...

caribbeanhen
November 29th, 2015, 09:43 AM
two pretenders not contenders, winner of this game will crumble the following week

kdinva
November 29th, 2015, 09:56 AM
I hope 9000 fill the stadium, both programs deserve a loud and electric atmosphere....

Tribal
November 29th, 2015, 10:09 AM
two pretenders not contenders, winner of this game will crumble the following week
Both programs earned the right to contend, salty hen.

On another note, former Tribe position coach and UR head coach, Mike London, "resigned" as HC of UVA today.

HailSzczur
November 29th, 2015, 11:26 AM
You cannot script this stuff. Series is 61 wins W&M favor, 59 losses and 5 ties.

Damn.....Now that's a rivalry in the truest sense

caribbeanhen
November 29th, 2015, 12:59 PM

On another note, former Tribe position coach and UR head coach, Mike London, "resigned" as HC of UVA today.

that's interesting, Delaware need a coach

spdram
November 29th, 2015, 02:42 PM

time will tell -- time will tell, but got to win the game Saturday to have anything to say next week

hktribefan
November 29th, 2015, 08:12 PM
It gets interesting if WIU can knock off ISUr, as the Richmond/WM winner would then get a home game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tribefan40
November 29th, 2015, 09:54 PM
It gets interesting if WIU can knock off ISUr, as the Richmond/WM winner would then get a home game.

WIU got throttled the first go 'round, so probably not too much chance of that. Hoping for a good, competitive game Saturday, with a Tribe victory, of course.

tribefan40
November 29th, 2015, 09:55 PM

Honestly hard to spot the difference in this field. Nothing close to the dominant 2 or 3 we usually see in the bracket.

TypicalTribe
November 30th, 2015, 10:28 AM
The Tribe football and basketball programs have had four great opportunities the last two Saturdays and basically wasted all of them. Blown opportunities at Richmond in football and Dayton in hoops two weeks ago followed by an almost incomprehensible blown 19 point halftime lead at Howard this past weekend couple with a 52-49 "win" over Duquesne that felt more like a loss. With a rematch at Richmond and a tipoff at Virginia scheduled for this weekend, I'll be surprised if the Tribe avoids two more wasted chances.

My screen name has never felt more apropos.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 30th, 2015, 11:20 AM

You could be right. FWIW, Richmond rolled into the playoffs in 2008 at 8-3 and seeded 7th. Just sayin'.

32counter
November 30th, 2015, 01:46 PM
Tribe was looking past the Pittsburg Dukes for their next weekend rematch with Spiders.Ill State will have WIU for lunch.Saw portions of WiU v Dayton.Not impressed.The real pretenders are in Newark,DE who copied Michigan's uniforms only they got the colors wrong.Now that's being a genuine pretender.

JMU_71
November 30th, 2015, 02:06 PM

He was a WR coach for your Tribe back in the early 90s.

Tribal
November 30th, 2015, 02:29 PM
He was a WR coach for your Tribe back in the early 90s.
DL coach for us.

caribbeanhen
November 30th, 2015, 05:55 PM
You could be right. FWIW, Richmond rolled into the playoffs in 2008 at 8-3 and seeded 7th. Just sayin'.

8-3 in the CAA meant something in those days.... But Yes, that was a good team

caribbeanhen
November 30th, 2015, 05:58 PM
Tribe was looking past the Pittsburg Dukes for their next weekend rematch with Spiders.Ill State will have WIU for lunch.Saw portions of WiU v Dayton.Not impressed.The real pretenders are in Newark,DE who copied Michigan's uniforms only they got the colors wrong.Now that's being a genuine pretender.

and that's why I say William will crumble, you've had some real good teams in the past but this ain't one of em, losing to Delaware like that.......your coach doesn't do any advanced scouting?

Stonewall D
November 30th, 2015, 06:16 PM
He certainly didn't seem to scout Duquesne. Richmond is a different matter. Jimmye laycock is the dean of Virginia coaches. His program is the model for the rest of the state.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 30th, 2015, 06:28 PM
8-3 in the CAA meant something in those days.... But Yes, that was a good team

I see how you could argue the point of what the CAA meant back in 2008. That said, i could argue to the contrary... but i'm not looking to shoot myself in any of my 8 feet before the playoffs even get started for us.

Ivytalk
November 30th, 2015, 06:47 PM
Rooting for Tribe, but I think Spidahs win.

caribbeanhen
November 30th, 2015, 07:31 PM
His program is the model for the rest of the state certainly didn't seem to scout Duquesne. Richmond is a different matter. Jimmye laycock is the dean of Virginia coaches. .

Do you guys call him Jimmye Dean, Hey kids Rock n roll ...Rock on..... so the model for the rest of the state is a model that never has a happy ending? Richmond seems to have a better model now... haha

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 30th, 2015, 08:09 PM
Do you guys call him Jimmye Dean, Hey kids Rock n roll ...Rock on..... so the model for the rest of the state is a model that never has a happy ending?

If you're thinking happy endings, James Deen may be more appropriate.

Tribal
November 30th, 2015, 08:41 PM
and that's why I say William will crumble, you've had some real good teams in the past but this ain't one of em, losing to Delaware like that.......your coach doesn't do any advanced scouting?
This makes zero sense. We went on a tear after losing to UD beating 2 of the 3 other CAA teams in the playoffs along the way. Hardly crumbled then so no reason to see us crumble now.

tribefan40
November 30th, 2015, 09:48 PM

Seriously hen, how many Tribe games did you watch this year? I saw them all, and I say you're out in the tall grass.

MacThor
December 1st, 2015, 10:11 AM

9-3.
There was no 7th seed, but yes we occupied that slot of the bracket.

:)

WMTribe90
December 1st, 2015, 11:03 AM
WM defense did about as well as could be expected last time out against UR. For WM to win, our offense has to be much better this time around. I think they will be and we make this a game. Here's the recipe for a Tribe victory.

1) Bend on defense, but keep UR out of the end zone. Make UR back-up kicker hit field goals.
2) Don't lose turnover battle
3) Run the ball. Cluley got beat up last game because we faced too many obvious passing downs. We need to run effectively to set-up play action and keep the UR defense honest.
4) WM special teams have been very good all year and we have an advantage over UR here. Need to score or set-up a score on special teams.

We are a dinged up team that has played a game 11 weeks straight now. However, playing last week while UR watched could turn into an advantage if UR is slow out of the gate.

Stonewall D
December 1st, 2015, 03:05 PM
The UR plan calls for forcing Cluley to pass.

SENOREIDA
December 1st, 2015, 03:15 PM
Unfortunately, i'll be rooting for my sister's alma mater. Go Spiders!

Stonewall D
December 1st, 2015, 04:39 PM
It will be a problem game.

caribbeanhen
December 1st, 2015, 04:51 PM
This makes zero sense. We went on a tear after losing to UD beating 2 of the 3 other CAA teams in the playoffs along the way. Hardly crumbled then so no reason to see us crumble now.

whoop te doo, just wait till you get a Non CAA or Patty league team, but that will probably have to wait until next year as I think Richmond might take you down again

caribbeanhen
December 1st, 2015, 04:52 PM
Seriously hen, how many Tribe games did you watch this year? I saw them all, and I say you're out in the tall grass.

one and that was enough

spdram
December 1st, 2015, 09:23 PM
Line play will determine this one. Last game Richmond dominated both sides of the ball, if we do the same again look for a long bus ride down !-64.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 1st, 2015, 11:56 PM
The UR plan calls for forcing Cluley to pass.

Yep. Cluley was Clueless two weeks back and he didn't look a ton better against Duquesne. The pick he threw before half was just brutal.

If he isn't a lot better, I don't see the result being very different.

Stonewall D
December 2nd, 2015, 06:53 AM
I am concerned about Lauletta's tendency to throw INTs. If we lose the turnover battle, UR loses.

tribefan40
December 2nd, 2015, 07:46 AM
Yep. Cluley was Clueless two weeks back and he didn't look a ton better against Duquesne. The pick he threw before half was just brutal.

If he isn't a lot better, I don't see the result being very different.

Disagree with your analysis - the pick before half was the only bad throw he made all game, and was just a complete brain fart. UR schemed perfectly, and he's never looked more off than two weeks ago. I'm gonna go with the rule not the exception, and stick with the qb who had 2 picks for the season coming in to the UR game, as opposed to the one who had 10, including 8 in the 3 games prior. Win the trenches, turn the ball over. For either team that equals victory.

MacThor
December 2nd, 2015, 08:31 PM
Yep. We hit "Peak Lauletta" at JMU.

I expect at least one team to score more than the combined score from Nov 21st.
We are way more talented than Duquesne on offense and they just lit up the Tribe D.

paward
December 2nd, 2015, 09:43 PM
I think this game will come down to who make the best coaching decisions. We know each other well. Tendancies will have to take a back seat to who has tricks up their sleeve. I think and hope we win, but know it will be a battle. I expect a close score.

Stonewall D
December 2nd, 2015, 10:42 PM
That is a great point, paward. IMHO Rocco & Co. Called a great game against W&M. Rocco's teams have used some trick plays to great effect. The decision to pooch a kick off in the JMU game wàs a stroke of genius. Rocco tends to be aggressive in going for the win.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 2nd, 2015, 10:49 PM
Yep. We hit "Peak Lauletta" at JMU.

I certainly hope our 2nd team all CAA sophomore QB hasn't peaked yet.

MacThor
December 2nd, 2015, 11:34 PM
I certainly hope our 2nd team all CAA sophomore QB hasn't peaked yet.
Not yet but that was the peak of the regular season for sure. The picks started with the Albany game.

ur2k
December 3rd, 2015, 08:30 AM
Disagree with your analysis - the pick before half was the only bad throw he made all game, and was just a complete brain fart. UR schemed perfectly, and he's never looked more off than two weeks ago. I'm gonna go with the rule not the exception, and stick with the qb who had 2 picks for the season coming in to the UR game, as opposed to the one who had 10, including 8 in the 3 games prior. Win the trenches, turn the ball over. For either team that equals victory.

Well your guy has 7 interceptions now - with 2 coming into the UR game - so is that 5 in the last 2 games?

tribefan40
December 3rd, 2015, 10:01 AM
Well your guy has 7 interceptions now - with 2 coming into the UR game - so is that 5 in the last 2 games?

Yep. Regression to the mean. Can't wait for Saturday!

DirtyDukes
December 3rd, 2015, 10:28 AM
Rooting for Tribe, but I think Spidahs win.

You misspelled Spatters

tribefan40
December 3rd, 2015, 02:34 PM
70% chance for the Tribe to win according to this highly scientific poll.

http://www.ncaa.com/game/football/fcs/2015/12/05/william-mary-richmond

SpiderJPO
December 4th, 2015, 07:52 PM
Spiders will run and pass all over Tribe tomorrow. Pick'em is a an insult! 35 to 21 Spiders. Everyone seems scarred to say it but a week off will only make game more lopsided than last time. If safeties play close to box two WRs will have field day. If not Jacobi Green will get 200yrs. Pick your poison.

Grizzlies82
December 4th, 2015, 08:03 PM
Have not seen any CAA games this year but am pressured to make a prediction in all 8 games this weekend. Thus, take this to the bank baby!

Spiders likely win because of home field advantage. Though I don't like spiders. Does anyone really like spiders?

Stonewall D
December 4th, 2015, 11:34 PM
Chicks dig Spiders.

Stonewall D
December 4th, 2015, 11:38 PM
Cluley is stirring the pot...this looks like an insult.

https://www.instagram.com/p/-4qPbjSZ-W/

Tribe4SF
December 5th, 2015, 05:20 AM
Cluley is stirring the pot...this looks like an insult.

https://www.instagram.com/p/-4qPbjSZ-W/

Are you insulted? You should head for your "safe space". :D

Roll Tribe!!!

caribbeanhen
December 5th, 2015, 06:04 AM
Spiders will run and pass all over Tribe tomorrow. Pick'em is a an insult! 35 to 21 Spiders. Everyone seems scarred to say it but a week off will only make game more lopsided than last time. If safeties play close to box two WRs will have field day. If not Jacobi Green will get 200yrs. Pick your poison.

I can agree with this

TypicalTribe
December 5th, 2015, 11:14 AM
This game is over already. 3 and out from the Tribe and the effort on punt coverage and on third and one at the goal line was abysmal. Didn't come to play. Richmond wins by 30.

Mr. C
December 5th, 2015, 11:21 AM
Looks like some friendly banter around here today. Game is off to a good start with a long punt return setting up Richmond on its first possession for a TD. William & Mary is striking back with a first and goal.

- - - Updated - - -

Second and goal from the one for the Tribe after a big run from Anderson.

Mr. C
December 5th, 2015, 11:23 AM
Some research I did on rematches from the start of FCS history a few years back showed that rematches go to the team that lost originally 75% of the time.

Mr. C
December 5th, 2015, 11:24 AM
4th and goal as the Spiders stop the Tribe twice near the goal line and force a 22-yard field goal.

Richmond 7, William & Mary 3 with 5:52 left in the first period.

Mr. C
December 5th, 2015, 11:27 AM
William & Mary was too conservative for my liking after getting second and goal from inside the one. The Tribe have to wonder if they can score a TD on the Spider defense. Just four field goals in nearly five quarters.

- - - Updated - - -

11 play, 59-yard drive for the Tribe.

- - - Updated - - -

55-yard punt return from David Jones of Richmond is the play of the game so far.

UNIFanSince1983
Big run from Richmond there. Could be a high scoring affair...

Go Lehigh TU owl
The Tribe's once vaunted D has really slipped as the year's gone on...

Mr. C
December 5th, 2015, 11:28 AM
Jacobi Green just slashed the Tribe defense for a run from the Spider 22 to the Tribe 28 on a simple stretch play. Great blocking on the 49-yard run

Mr. C
December 5th, 2015, 11:31 AM
Seth Fisher back from a high ankle sprain gets a first down at the 18 for Richmond.

- - - Updated - - -

Jet sweep for Caleb Drake to the Tribe 9.

- - - Updated - - -

Seth Fisher again to the Tribe five on an inside run.

- - - Updated - - -

Green hit hard on a first and goal run to the 3 on a power run.

Mr. C
December 5th, 2015, 11:32 AM
3rd and goal from the 1 for Richmond after another run and Luke Rhodes stops Broaddus on a wildcat run.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 5th, 2015, 11:32 AM
TD Spiders on 4th down...

Mr. C
December 5th, 2015, 11:33 AM
Richmond going fourth and one and Jacobi Green crashes in for his second TD.

- - - Updated - - -

Richmond 14
William & Mary 3
0:41 left in the first period

grizband
December 5th, 2015, 11:44 AM
Richmond going fourth and one and Jacobi Green crashes in for his second TD.

- - - Updated - - -

Richmond 14
William & Mary 3
0:41 left in the first period
My score prediction isn't going well so far...

Mr. C
December 5th, 2015, 11:51 AM
William & Mary is constructing a nice drive to the Richmond 10

- - - Updated - - -

Sabor to the 8 for first and goal. W&M looking better upfront on this drive

- - - Updated - - -

Zone play for Sabor to the 6

- - - Updated - - -

Cluley with a forced pass and David Jones gets a pick-six for over 100 yards.

Nickels
Don't know why he threw that. There was no window.

Mr. C
Richmond 21, William & Mary 3, 9:38 second period

Go Lehigh TU owl
Wow!!

Schism55
December 5th, 2015, 11:52 AM
W&M qb is not good.
Richmond looks like they could be a force

grizband
Richmond 21, William & Mary 3, 9:38 second period
That changed quickly, did Richmond get a pick 6 or something?

chattownmocs
I love watching richmonds kicker kick extra points. He is out of control.

Mr. C
December 5th, 2015, 11:53 AM
Cluley has thrown four picks against Richmond in a little over five quarters this season. David Jones is the player of the game right now, setting up the first TD and taking it to the house on the third. It looked like the deep slant got tipped by someone.

BisonFan02
W&M in trouble...this could already be out of reach maybe....

Nickels
W&M qb is not good.
Richmond looks like they could be a force
Cant decide if Richmond is contender or if W&M simply blows.

BisonFan02
December 5th, 2015, 11:56 AM
TD or bust on this drive for W&M.

seattlespider
December 5th, 2015, 11:57 AM
Nice stop for the Spiders here.

Mr. C
December 5th, 2015, 12:00 PM
With the way that David Jones is feeling it today, I was surprised he didn't try to break another punt return, instead of calling a fair catch.

- - - Updated - - -

Cant decide if Richmond is contender or if W&M simply blows.
William & Mary has looked pretty good this year, especially on defense, against everyone but Richmond.

Mr. C
December 5th, 2015, 12:04 PM
Biggest defensive play of the day needed for W&M

- - - Updated - - -

Pick for Haslip of W&M and a return to the red zone.

- - - Updated - - -

Kendall Anderson TD run for W&M to put the Tribe back into this game.

Mr. C
December 5th, 2015, 12:05 PM
Richmond 21, William & Mary 10, 4:58 left in the first half.

Mr. C
December 5th, 2015, 12:10 PM
Third and one for Richmond and another needed defensive stop for W&M

Mattymc727
December 5th, 2015, 12:24 PM
Are they serious with that TD call? That was a touchback. Holy crap

MacThor
December 5th, 2015, 12:29 PM
Had to go with the call on the field.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

NoDak 4 Ever
December 5th, 2015, 12:36 PM
Had to go with the call on the field.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

No they didn't. That ball was as loose as the girls in the stands.

TypicalTribe
December 5th, 2015, 12:38 PM
Tribe sticking with the recipe that has lost them big games for a decade, i.e. settling for short field goals and committing critical turnovers.

TypicalTribe
December 5th, 2015, 01:19 PM
What we're really seeing is that Richmond is the best team in the CAA. They only lost twice, both on the road and by a combined total of six points and they committed eight turnovers. When you watch them play, you see how good they can be. On the flip side, the Tribe is out of gas. Haven't had a week off since 9/12 and really needed a bye to have a shot at a playoff run.

tribefan40
December 5th, 2015, 01:29 PM
Hats off to the ticks. We've had our share in recent years, but certainly the most disapointing late season collapse I've witnessed as a Tribe fan.

Good luck to the ticks going forward, I'd cheer for them but I ******* hate those guys.

caribbeanhen
December 5th, 2015, 01:34 PM
although Ive been talkin down the CAA know my soiley heart is with the Spiders next week, there showing me something today

kdinva
December 5th, 2015, 01:35 PM
UR @ Ill. St. next week will be fun....

kdinva
December 5th, 2015, 01:40 PM
Tribe loses fumble near midfield, UR ball, about 6:30 to go....

seattlespider
December 5th, 2015, 01:46 PM
What we're really seeing is that Richmond is the best team in the CAA. They only lost twice, both on the road and by a combined total of six points and they committed eight turnovers. When you watch them play, you see how good they can be. On the flip side, the Tribe is out of gas. Haven't had a week off since 9/12 and really needed a bye to have a shot at a playoff run.

This is exactly what happened to Richmond last year. That preliminary playoff game, followed by a road game in the round of 16 killed us.

kdinva
December 5th, 2015, 01:54 PM
spiders score w/50 seconds to go............48-12......didn't expect this....

tribefan40
December 5th, 2015, 01:55 PM
Classy UR. Typical Rocco.

seattlespider
December 5th, 2015, 02:00 PM

Wat. xeyebrowx

They ran dive plays on just about every play on that last series.

tribefan40
December 5th, 2015, 02:01 PM
Wat. xeyebrowx

They ran dive plays on just about every play on that last series.

Went for it on 4th and goal, dip****.

MacThor
December 5th, 2015, 02:02 PM
Sore?

What did you want them to do, take a knee on 4th down?

68-22.

kdinva
December 5th, 2015, 02:03 PM
Well, Rocco did have the #3 off. backfield in there, that last series. When he was at Liberty, he'd still have Rashad Jennings in the game, late in the game, while up 35.....

tribefan40
December 5th, 2015, 02:06 PM
Sore?

What did you want them to do, take a knee on 4th down?

68-22.

Yeah.... Field goal would have been too risky, I guess.

MacThor
December 5th, 2015, 02:07 PM
Yeah.... Field goal would have been too risky, I guess.
Well he did shank the xp. ;)

seattlespider
December 5th, 2015, 03:10 PM
Went for it on 4th and goal, dip****.

Speaking of classy. xpeacex

YoUDeeMan
December 5th, 2015, 05:36 PM
With the way that David Jones is feeling it today, I was surprised he didn't try to break another punt return, instead of calling a fair catch.

- - - Updated - - -

William & Mary has looked pretty good this year, especially on defense, against everyone but Richmond.

xlolx

W&M was way overrated this year. UD ran all over them.

RAN. ALL. OVER. THEM.

Laycock never adjusted, and it became clear that they didn't have the players to shut down a good offense.

tribefan40
December 5th, 2015, 05:46 PM
xlolx

W&M was way overrated this year. UD ran all over them.

RAN. ALL. OVER. THEM.

Laycock never adjusted, and it became clear that they didn't have the players to shut down a good offense.

Good enough for 9 wins and 2nd round of the playoffs. How did UD's game go today?xcoffeex

jsnow84
December 5th, 2015, 06:12 PM
Well, Rocco did have the #3 off. backfield in there, that last series. When he was at Liberty, he'd still have Rashad Jennings in the game, late in the game, while up 35.....

Have never been a Rocco fan. But he did a very good job this year. Not surprised they beat W&M, but very surprised at the final score.

Eight Legger
December 5th, 2015, 08:02 PM
Very impressed by how we performed today. I was afraid that our luck against W&M was due to run out, but we just dominated from start to finish. I hope W&M is as good as they seemed to be against everyone else, because we will be playing a few more games this year if that's the game.

tribefan40
December 5th, 2015, 08:11 PM
Speaking of classy. xpeacex

Just a little salty after the loss. Good luck to your team, hope ISU blows their doors off.xpeacex

KPSUL
December 5th, 2015, 09:00 PM
Just a little salty after the loss. Good luck to your team, hope ISU blows their doors off.xpeacex

Nice to see tribe fans so willing to close conference ranks and get behind our best team in 2015!

spdram
December 5th, 2015, 09:02 PM
Are you insulted? You should head for your "safe space". :D

Roll Tribe!!!

We did the Tribe endzone --

Tribe has a good team, but the Spiders are getting more healthy than they have been in about a month -- should be better next week Good season for the Tribe looking forward to seeing the "new" stadium next year

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 5th, 2015, 09:16 PM

Geez. Sleep it off.

Good season, Indians. Hoping to pull the series even in 2016.

SpiderJPO
December 5th, 2015, 10:00 PM
Tribefan40 Rocco and the Spiders own your team. Suck it up your boys were physically dominated twice in three weeks.

ur2k
December 5th, 2015, 10:00 PM
I wanted them to go for 2 to get to an even 50.

How bout that QB of yours now? I lost count, how many INTs since he only threw 2?

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 6th, 2015, 06:25 AM
^^9-20 for 79 yards and 3 picks. Oy.

tribefan40
December 6th, 2015, 06:30 AM
Just having a little fun, fellas. Nice to see I can get you guys so riled after a big win. Any of you making the trip to normal? I actually think UR matches up pretty well with the birds.

MacThor
December 6th, 2015, 08:43 AM
Anxiously awaiting @doccluley's next instagram post.