centennial
November 28th, 2015, 05:24 PM
^ That was quick.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 28th, 2015, 05:26 PM
Good!!

BisonFan02
November 28th, 2015, 05:26 PM
I imagine they had it ready....probably for both matchups.

Drblankstare
November 28th, 2015, 05:28 PM
I will take the 2nd half Grizz all day, man that was a crazy bad half for them.

grizband
November 28th, 2015, 05:30 PM
I'd be happier with the first half Griz! Second half Griz might give me a heart attack...xbawlingx

centennial
November 28th, 2015, 05:31 PM
2nd half griz would get WIU'ed 59-7

DaBizon
November 28th, 2015, 05:31 PM
NDSU is gonna stick it to the Griz...
not losing this one cuz....
in our last game, well, that qb
wentz on to become an nfl prospect

IBleedYellow
November 28th, 2015, 05:33 PM
NDSU holds the Griz to 12.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Drblankstare
November 28th, 2015, 05:39 PM
I'd be happier with the first half Griz! Second half Griz might give me a heart attack...xbawlingx

It was really bizarre, the Jacks played better, but the Grizz went into their shell, they came out at half with no confidence. Strange

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 28th, 2015, 05:40 PM
Crowd noise will really help this game.

centennial
November 28th, 2015, 05:40 PM
It was really bizarre, the Jacks played better, but the Grizz went into their shell, they came out at half with no confidence. Strange
Griz played not to lose, and didn't. I guess it was successful. Nyugen won them the game at the end with the second effort runs.

IBleedYellow
November 28th, 2015, 05:41 PM
If that Griz team shows up next week at NDSU as the team we saw today it's going to be a long game for the Griz faithful.

Drblankstare
November 28th, 2015, 05:44 PM
If that Griz team shows up next week at NDSU as the team we saw today it's going to be a long game for the Griz faithful.

Lets hope the correct Bison D shows up.

IBleedYellow
November 28th, 2015, 05:54 PM
Lets hope the correct Bison D shows up.
We'll have everyone back. If this team isn't pumped up....I don't know what to tell you.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 28th, 2015, 05:57 PM
We'll have everyone back. If this team isn't pumped up....I don't know what to tell you.

This here.

Champion and CJ are back. D-Line has been playing pretty good.

Drblankstare
November 28th, 2015, 05:58 PM

Having CJ for this game is obviously huge. He will match up with Henderson and that should be a great battle, but we have to get 4 man pressure on Gunderson.

centennial
November 28th, 2015, 06:02 PM
Having CJ for this game is obviously huge. He will match up with Henderson and that should be a great battle, but we have to get 4 man pressure on Gunderson.
Bring a extra man, play man on outside. Gustafson gets rattled easily. Also play assignment.

IBleedYellow
November 28th, 2015, 06:03 PM
Play Bison football.

Win the game.

Drink like Champions.

SeattleGriz
November 28th, 2015, 06:05 PM
This offense is still young. You can take big chunks out of our offenses sometimes with the right schemes. Well get better.

Besides, wasn't this a top 5 team just two weeks ago? We were 17?

Grizalltheway
November 28th, 2015, 06:07 PM

Really? The first half counts for nothing?

Silenoz
November 28th, 2015, 06:08 PM
Well if nothing else, we've proven that the only MVFC team that can beat us is NDSU ;)

Drblankstare
November 28th, 2015, 06:13 PM

I think it counts for a lot, you guys looked like the team I saw in week 1, very dangerous offense with a solid D. That 2nd half was just bad, I know that happens sometimes, but if you want the trophy it can't happen again.

The Yo Show
November 28th, 2015, 06:17 PM
I think this is the most interesting rematch of all the possible FCS playoff regionally forced rematches :D

UNHWildcat18
November 28th, 2015, 06:19 PM
Am I allowed to say I'm rooting for the Griz to win? Gonna be a fun game to watch!

SeattleGriz
November 28th, 2015, 06:26 PM
Am I allowed to say I'm rooting for the Griz to win? Gonna be a fun game to watch!
Yes you can!

Grizalltheway
November 28th, 2015, 06:39 PM
I think it counts for a lot, you guys looked like the team I saw in week 1, very dangerous offense with a solid D. That 2nd half was just bad, I know that happens sometimes, but if you want the trophy it can't happen again.

I agree, but much like the MSU game, I feel like we took our foot off the gas too soon. In any event, credit to the Jacks for almost giving us a taste of our own medicine.

NDSUtk
November 28th, 2015, 06:41 PM
Don't worry, there was never a doubt among the Bison fans who you'd cheer for. :)

IBleedYellow
November 28th, 2015, 06:47 PM
Of course it does, but I saw a lot of unsportsmanlike penalties that can change the momentum of the game in huge swings.

The first half doesn't make up for the second.

However, I hope the Bison watch the first half and only glance at the second.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 28th, 2015, 07:09 PM
Easton's running ability will keep the Montana defense off guard.

NDSU's Dline needs a big push to put pressure on Gustufson.

SeattleGriz
November 28th, 2015, 07:11 PM
Montana's receivers cause havoc again on the NDSU secondary.

BisonTru
November 28th, 2015, 07:12 PM
The noise could be an interesting dynamic in this one. Stitt's offense, from my understanding, is no huddle call four plays and then get a read and pick one of the four plays called. I'm sure he has plenty of silent signals, but non the less the noise can help our defense backfield hold their look.

How did Stitt manage his offense in Bozeman? Is there a re-play online somewhere of the brawl?

Schism55
November 28th, 2015, 07:14 PM
Montana's receivers cause havoc again on the NDSU secondary.
CJ Smith won't be missing this game ;)

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 28th, 2015, 07:16 PM

Having CJ for this game will definitely help.

Let's see how Montana plays away from their stadium in a hostile environment.

Bison 38-17

Silenoz
November 28th, 2015, 07:37 PM
The noise could be an interesting dynamic in this one. Stitt's offense, from my understanding, is no huddle call four plays and then get a read and pick one of the four plays called. I'm sure he has plenty of silent signals, but non the less the noise can help our defense backfield hold their look.

How did Stitt manage his offense in Bozeman? Is there a re-play online somewhere of the brawl?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoIFMvOtZBY

Grizalltheway
November 28th, 2015, 07:49 PM

Were all of your secondary starters missing the first game?

BisonTru
November 28th, 2015, 07:53 PM

We had true freshman playing at safety in his first game, another safety that we have now moved to LB because of his lack of cover skills, and like has been mentioned our best CB out.

The Griz have some talented WRs, best group of WOs as a whole we've seen all year. We'll see how it plays out.

Bisonator
November 28th, 2015, 07:57 PM
Bring on the Griz! Should be a great game!

fencer24
November 28th, 2015, 08:43 PM

Wow! So CJ is going to cover Jones, Henderson, Roberts and Horner? All at the same time?

Richard Sherman better look out.

TheKingpin28
November 28th, 2015, 08:49 PM
Wow! So CJ is going to cover Jones, Henderson, Roberts and Horner? All at the same time?

Richard Sherman better look out.

Oh you just talked about Sherman. Now you're in for it.

Bisonwinagn
November 28th, 2015, 08:54 PM
We had true freshman playing at safety in his first game, another safety that we have now moved to LB because of his lack of cover skills, and like has been mentioned our best CB out.

The Griz have some talented WRs, best group of WOs as a whole we've seen all year. We'll see how it plays out.

Agreed on the receivers, it will be a big test to see if our secondary can match up. The two CB will have been out 3 weeks without game action so will they be healthy and fresh or sluggish. That's the big question mark. Although the defensive line is much improved and could make the difference. I see this as a 27-24 type game.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 28th, 2015, 08:54 PM
Bring a extra man, play man on outside. Gustafson gets rattled easily. Also play assignment.

He gets rattled easy. xlolx

Got it.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 28th, 2015, 09:03 PM
BTW IBY if you want I'm willing to stretch my wallet out again and lay some down on your predicted point total for us. Let me know cuz I love a running mouth as much as anyone.

BisonFan02
November 28th, 2015, 09:05 PM
NDSU - $Texas
Montanny - ThreEve

SUPharmacist
November 28th, 2015, 09:08 PM
Can't wait for this game. I have no idea what to expect, just hoping for a clean, well officiated game. I could see another nailbiter, or a blowout either way. Happy NDSU has the chance at revenge this year.

No_Skill
November 28th, 2015, 09:11 PM
I wonder what the spread will be. Open at Bison -6.5?

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 28th, 2015, 09:12 PM
BTW IBY if you want I'm willing to stretch my wallet out again and lay some down on your predicted point total for us. Let me know cuz I love a running mouth as much as anyone.

What's the bet?

I'll throw down a donation to AGS if I lose!!

BisonFan02
November 28th, 2015, 09:19 PM
What's the bet?

AGS WAGERS!!?!?!?!?!????!! :D

BisonTru
November 28th, 2015, 09:19 PM
He gets rattled easy. xlolx

Got it.

Gus is damn accurate when he can step back and fire. If you can get him off his point and moving around his accuracy seems to decrease fairly considerably. This is just my assessment from watching 2 games. I'm sure you have seen more of his work than I have.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 28th, 2015, 09:20 PM
What's the bet?

I believe IBY was talking about us and 12 pts. but I'd have to go back and look for sure. That's what I was referring to. I don't expect a win for us cuz we're just too inconsistent and lose focus a little too easily. But I do think I can take the over on us for 12 points.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 28th, 2015, 09:21 PM
AGS WAGERS!!?!?!?!?!????!! :D

xthumbsupx

With all of the Griz and Bison fans on here, there could be a good wager going!!

Bisonoline
November 28th, 2015, 09:23 PM
xthumbsupx

With all of the Griz and Bison fans on here, there could be a good wager going!!

Just dont let in those 2 dudes that never paid up.:D

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 28th, 2015, 09:24 PM
I believe IBY was talking about us and 12 pts. but I'd have to go back and look for sure. That's what I was referring to. I don't expect a win for us cuz we're just too inconsistent and lose focus a little too easily. But I do think I can take the over on us for 12 points.

Heck I'll do it. If I lose, I'll send a donation to AGS.

$50?
$100?

It will be fun.

- - - Updated - - -

Just dont let in those 2 dudes that never paid up.:D

The voice of common sense....xthumbsupx:D

No_Skill
November 28th, 2015, 09:24 PM
We've done pretty well in "revenge" games recently.

2011 - NDSU 24 YSU 27
2012 - NDSU 48 YSU 7

2012 - NDSU 14 ISUb 17
2013 - NDSU 56 ISUb 10

2014 - NDSU 3 UNI 23
2015 - NDSU 31 UNI 28

I wish I had more examles, but we just haven't lost many games recently. :D

ursus arctos horribilis
November 28th, 2015, 09:29 PM
Gus is damn accurate when he can step back and fire. If you can get him off his point and moving around his accuracy seems to decrease fairly considerably. This is just my assessment from watching 2 games. I'm sure you have seen more of his work than I have.

He can throw em' in the dirt but it really isn't a simple if you do this he does that thing. It's more of a he loses focus thing and he has been losing less focus since being back from injury. He will stand there in as good as anyone I've seen in a long time though and the rattled thing just hasn't been happening. You can get your hands on him, that creates havoc but it hasn't been unsettling how or what he does.

biggame
November 28th, 2015, 09:33 PM

I agree, but I think you will see a more consistent griz team in Fargo. I don't know that but I really don't think either team was played well today.

BisonTru
November 28th, 2015, 09:40 PM
He can throw em' in the dirt but it really isn't a simple if you do this he does that thing. It's more of a he loses focus thing and he has been losing less focus since being back from injury. He will stand there in as good as anyone I've seen in a long time though and the rattled thing just hasn't been happening. You can get your hands on him, that creates havoc but it hasn't been unsettling how or what he does.

I agree on the rattled part, doesn't seem like a major issue with him. Just as a DC I want to to get him moving around messing with his footwork. It seems a lot of the ducks he throws, not that it's many, is when he's moving.

centennial
November 28th, 2015, 09:49 PM
This is what I mean. His accuracy gets lowered when you can get some pressure on him. When he is standing up he is more accurate. If we let him stand and deliver, he will tear us apart. SDSU started putting more pressure on him and it worked for them.

BisonFan02
November 28th, 2015, 09:53 PM
This is what I mean. His accuracy gets lowered when you can get some pressure on him. When he is standing up he is more accurate. If we let him stand and deliver, he will tear us apart. SDSU started putting more pressure on him and it worked for them.

He looked a bit gimpy in the second half too....might have more to do with taking hits as well?

centennial
November 28th, 2015, 09:59 PM
He looked a bit gimpy in the second half too....might have more to do with taking hits as well?

He did take a few and after looked to be more cautious. I am not advocating we hurt the kid, only that rushing an extra player will help us keep him in check.

El Griz
November 28th, 2015, 10:02 PM
Wow. Some of you are not thinking straight. I will take Gus in a dome with talent at receivers 10x the talent of your receivers. And we have the better defense. Why so confident bisooooon nation?

Professor Chaos
November 28th, 2015, 10:02 PM
It's a gold rush.... errrr... yellow out at the dome next Saturday. I wonder if that means the Bison are wearing the yellow jerseys with the green helmets?

If that happens Montana may as well not show up. :D

BisonFan02
November 28th, 2015, 10:04 PM
He did take a few and after looked to be more cautious. I am not advocating we hurt the kid, only that rushing an extra player will help us keep him in check.

Oh, I'm not either, but if Menard and co can put on some heat/knock him down as much as they can when he drops back, the better.

centennial
Wow. Some of you are not thinking straight. I will take Gus in a dome with talent at receivers 10x the talent of your receivers. And we have the better defense. Why so confident bisooooon nation?
10x? You are free to take whatever you want.

BisonFan02
It's a gold rush.... errrr... yellow out at the dome next Saturday. I wonder if that means the Bison are wearing the yellow jerseys with the green helmets?

If that happens Montana may as well not show up. :D

I think it goes without saying that the green helmets come out for the postseason home games right? :D

Professor Chaos
November 28th, 2015, 10:12 PM
I think it goes without saying that the green helmets come out for the postseason home games right? :D
The Bison playing the whole playoffs in the green helmets would be like giving a ninja a machete.

El Griz
November 28th, 2015, 10:37 PM
10x? You are free to take whatever you want.
Yes. 10x. Other than home field why the extreme confidence? (EXTREME).

thebootfitter
November 28th, 2015, 10:46 PM
Hyperbole aside, I'd probably give a the edge to Montana's receivers over the Bison receivers. But the receivers don't play against each other. I think an experienced and healthy Bison secondary in this game can keep the Griz receivers relatively quiet. It's not like the Griz torched NDSU in the first game, and Montana played pretty solid.

The confidence probably comes from recent success, combined with seeing the Griz recently, and the Bison players having something to prove.

While the Griz certainly have a chance to win, I wouldn't bet against the Bison in this game.

El Griz
November 28th, 2015, 10:50 PM
The Griz still have "something to prove", due to the years of success by the Bison. The Griz will not come into this game worried about a "payback", they know they have to win again to prove something.

Bisonwinagn
November 28th, 2015, 10:53 PM

What are you referring to or haven't you actually read this thread? Everyone is predicting a close game!!!!!!!!!!!

TheKingpin28
November 28th, 2015, 10:55 PM
So we are doing another get together Friday night for this game? I ask since I missed last year's and couldn't get out to Missoula and it would be fun.

Oh and I got this one 31-23 NDSU but the catch is, Stick has a 200-150 3TD game AND 0 TOs. I truly believe he steps up and just goes wild out there and Brock 2.0 is officially in overdrive

centennial
November 28th, 2015, 11:23 PM
What are you on? Care to share with the rest of us. No one is taking the Griz lightly. You already beat us once. You will however need to play better than the SDSU game, and that is fair statement.

jsnow84
November 28th, 2015, 11:31 PM
Looking forward to this one, should be a great game.

Bison56
November 28th, 2015, 11:47 PM
The Griz still have "something to prove", due to the years of success by the Bison. The Griz will not come into this game worried about a "payback", they know they have to win again to prove something.
Back on the bandwagon?

ursus arctos horribilis
November 28th, 2015, 11:49 PM

He was gimpy. Looked like an ankle but it happened in the first half and don't know if it was from hits on him but there weren't many in the first 1/2.

Cleets
November 29th, 2015, 12:09 AM
I am a Griz fan:
But I hated the unsportsman like conduct going on all game by them - that was embarrassing behavior - too many Girz players putting themselves above the team

did not like... It seems like the Bison coaching staff wouldn't tolerate that crap for a minute (never mind 4 quarters)

Bisonoline
November 29th, 2015, 12:15 AM
He was gimpy. Looked like an ankle but it happened in the first half and don't know if it was from hits on him but there weren't many in the first 1/2.

You going to make the trip?

ursus arctos horribilis
November 29th, 2015, 12:21 AM
You going to make the trip?

Will know more tomorrow evening or Monday but it's 50/50 yet. Will be in touch when I get it sorted.xthumbsupx

Bisonoline
November 29th, 2015, 12:24 AM
Will know more tomorrow evening or Monday but it's 50/50 yet. Will be in touch when I get it sorted.xthumbsupx

If you need rooms let me know. I will get in touch with my buddy.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 29th, 2015, 12:26 AM
I am a Griz fan:
But I hated the unsportsman like conduct going on all game by them - that was embarrassing behavior - too many Girz players putting themselves above the team

did not like... It seems like the Bison coaching staff wouldn't tolerate that crap for a minute (never mind 4 quarters)

There was some really chippy, dumb **** going on from both sides. For me, the Griz part was also an embarrassment that I'd love to see us cut the **** out right now.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 29th, 2015, 12:28 AM
If you need rooms let me know. I will get in touch with my buddy.

Will do brother.

Silenoz
November 29th, 2015, 12:51 AM

xeyebrowx

Troll account created by an NDSU or MSU fan?

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 29th, 2015, 06:24 AM

Hate to break it to you.....

FCS defensive rankings:

Total Defense:

Montana - #63 -- 385.3/game
NDSU - #12 -- 291.2/game

Scoring Defense:

Montana - #46 -- 23.6/game
NDSU - #9 -- 17.6/game

Statistically NDSU is a better defense...xthumbsupx

caribbeanhen
November 29th, 2015, 08:02 AM
I've always said Montana should schedule some FBS games, and now we finally get one!

SeattleGriz
November 29th, 2015, 09:06 AM
We've done pretty well in "revenge" games recently.

2011 - NDSU 24 YSU 27
2012 - NDSU 48 YSU 7

2012 - NDSU 14 ISUb 17
2013 - NDSU 56 ISUb 10

2014 - NDSU 3 UNI 23
2015 - NDSU 31 UNI 28

I wish I had more examles, but we just haven't lost many games recently. :D
You can't count this year's game as your revenge game! That's ours from years ago. Find a new one freeloader.

SeattleGriz
November 29th, 2015, 09:11 AM
I am a Griz fan:

I think a lot of that crap was Connor Strahm, a future LB. Been watching him all season talk ****. Not sure if he is trying to announce his "arrival" to the Big Sky early by being a dick.

IBleedYellow
November 29th, 2015, 09:47 AM
I got $50, Ursus.

I said 12 previously, and I'll keep to that for the bet, but my revised score will be somewhere around 35-17 NDSU.

Enjoy your fifty!

Now come one defense! Play above your average please!

IBleedYellow
November 29th, 2015, 09:49 AM
Hate to break it to you.....

FCS defensive rankings:

Total Defense:

Montana - #63 -- 385.3/game
NDSU - #12 -- 291.2/game

Scoring Defense:

Montana - #46 -- 23.6/game
NDSU - #9 -- 17.6/game

Statistically NDSU is a better defense...xthumbsupx
Are those really the stats from this year? It seems like NDSU was giving up more than that. Ah well. Maybe my 12 has a chance to stand.

IBleedYellow
November 29th, 2015, 09:57 AM
...have the Griz picked up a read option wrinkle yet? If they have it's going to be scary.

THE DANIMAL
November 29th, 2015, 10:55 AM
All you fellow Griz fans just stop...we are not going to win this game!!

1. NDSU cornerback is going to be playing this time. All by himself he's gonna shut down Henderson, Jones, Horner and Roberts.
2. We only beat NDSU the first time because of bad play calling at the end of the game
3. Wentz was hurt with 2 to go in the 3rd quarter otherwise we would have lost
4. The MVC is gods gift to FCS. We're just lucky we get to be on the same field as them.
5. NDSU is the only team that improved throughout the year.

End thread......:D

Just kidding in all seriousness this should be a great game. I give the edge to The Bison at home. Two great fan bases and two great programs. Wish I could make it to the game. Go Griz

Silenoz
November 29th, 2015, 11:25 AM
...have the Griz picked up a read option wrinkle yet? If they have it's going to be scary.

Simis runs that a lot. There's no point with Gus, since he's the slowest player on the field

SeattleGriz
November 29th, 2015, 11:28 AM
Simis runs that a lot. There's no point with Gus, since he's the slowest player on the field
No kidding. I saw a DT run him down from behind when he was sprinting for out of bounds.

AmsterBison
November 29th, 2015, 11:43 AM

If the Griz go into Jeckyll/Hyde mode again, they might end up cashing in via a Direct TV commercial. "Hi, we're first-half Griz, and we have Direct TV..." etc.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 29th, 2015, 01:28 PM
Are those really the stats from this year? It seems like NDSU was giving up more than that. Ah well. Maybe my 12 has a chance to stand.

Ya, FCS stats. We as Bison fans are use to 11 or 12 points given up per season so 17 seems like a lot this year...:D

Hopefully, Entz doesn't sit back and let the Griz pass it against his soft zone looks. Bring the pressure and make Gustufson make mistakes.

IBleedYellow
November 29th, 2015, 02:18 PM
Lol.

He can't be that slow...

Silenoz
November 29th, 2015, 02:30 PM
Lol.

He can't be that slow...

Actually I believe Gus did run it at least once. He got knocked over by running into the arm of the DE who was looking at the RB. No joke.

BisonFan02
November 29th, 2015, 02:32 PM
Well....take this for whatever it is worth. I called the Bison loss against the Griz in the tailgating lot out in Missoula (and was called a Debbie downer by a certain poster here... xlolx go figure). I thought the Bison had a few major key holes on D that were going to be exploited and Stitt's Griz being a major wildcard. I don't have those same feelings for this one. If the Bison jump on the Griz in this one early....look out.

IBleedYellow
November 29th, 2015, 02:33 PM
Well....take this for whatever it is worth. I called the Bison loss against the Griz in the tailgating lot out in Missoula (and was called a Debbie downer by a certain poster here... xlolx go figure). I thought the Bison had a few major key holes on D that were going to be exploited and Stitt's Griz being a major wildcard. I don't have those same feelings for this one. If the Bison jump on the Griz in this one early....look out.
You ****ing Debbie downer. Now your are a flip flop fan! xlolx

BisonFan02
November 29th, 2015, 02:35 PM

I would also have accepted "realist" fan.... xlolx. Should we be nervous now that I'm not? :D

fencer24
November 29th, 2015, 02:36 PM

Aren't we all at some point?

grizband
November 29th, 2015, 02:39 PM
Lol.

He can't be that slow...

He's not fast...but at 6'7", he can fall forward for 2 yards! xthumbsupx

Professor Chaos
November 29th, 2015, 02:51 PM
But you also said this about the NDSU/SIU game:

Track meet for SIU. Iannotti is responsible for 3-4 TDs and the Bison can't keep pace on O. SIU wins 35-24ish range.
You sure you don't want to pick the Griz in this one? :p

Bisonoline
November 29th, 2015, 02:57 PM
Easton's running ability will keep the Montana defense off guard.

NDSU's Dline needs a big push to put pressure on Gustufson.

That will be the ket to the game IMO. Cant let those big receivers have their way with us. Dont give the QB time to get the ball to them.

BisonFan02
November 29th, 2015, 02:58 PM
But you also said this about the NDSU/SIU game:

You sure you don't want to pick the Griz in this one? :p

Shhhhhhhhhhhh :D

IBleedYellow
November 29th, 2015, 03:18 PM
That will be the ket to the game IMO. Cant let those big receivers have their way with us. Dont give the QB time to get the ball to them.
Well that's scary... NDSU never got to him in Montana.

Bisonoline
November 29th, 2015, 03:24 PM
Well that's scary... NDSU never got to him in Montana.

You need to quit faking the blitz and actually blitz.

WTFCollegefootballfan
November 29th, 2015, 03:58 PM
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/11222338_1092326734133383_4224504387182265401_n.jp g?oh=cbf4da79d11f8016cea5b1e3506925bb&oe=56EE048B
A look ahead to the game.

Jackal
November 29th, 2015, 04:06 PM
NDSU 31
Montana 17

Book it.

Grizalltheway
November 29th, 2015, 04:14 PM

We have a freshman QB who's redshirting (Willy Pflug of "I love the Montana Grizzlies!" fame) who is in the same mold as Jordan Johnson. He'll definitely do some damage when his time comes.

Da Herd
November 29th, 2015, 04:35 PM
I'm loving the bison optimism but I certainly have my doubts the bison won't get shredded a la first half griz with the way some games have gone this season. Memory is a bit fuzzy, didn't bison running game lack some pop in the last meeting when we had the threat of Wentz throwing?

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 29th, 2015, 05:01 PM
I'm loving the bison optimism but I certainly have my doubts the bison won't get shredded a la first half griz with the way some games have gone this season. Memory is a bit fuzzy, didn't bison running game lack some pop in the last meeting when we had the threat of Wentz throwing?

Maybe but with ES the running threat is always there. He is serviceable with the pass game right now and will only get better. With Gustufson back it will be a big challenge but this game is at home and the defense has been playing really well as of late.

CommishBigSmooth
November 29th, 2015, 05:05 PM

Bison ran for 229 in the game, so just under the season average (244). Nothing longer than 33 (Frazier), though.
No one else even threw for 300 this season against NDSU other than Gustafson.

Schism55
November 29th, 2015, 05:13 PM
Bison O line is healthy as it has been all year and has been mauling defenses last 6 weeks. King is finishing runs likes a boss. Like Bison chances to rush for lots of yards and t.o.p. in this game.

Bisonator
November 29th, 2015, 05:17 PM
NDSU 31
Montana 17

Book it.

This is AWESOME! Thanks Jackal!:D

Bisonator
November 29th, 2015, 05:28 PM
I didn't see yesterdays game but did SDSU do something special in the second half to shut the Griz down?

Green26
November 29th, 2015, 06:01 PM

2 of the 4 starting receivers now did not start against NDSU. The 2 new starters each had 1 official reception against NDSU. The 4 starting receivers now are stronger than the starters against NDSU. Those 2 new starters had 14 receptions between them yesterday, and were the 2 leading receivers in terms of catches and yards. The receiving line-up/scheme/package is a bit different now.

Green26
November 29th, 2015, 06:05 PM
Agreed on the receivers, it will be a big test to see if our secondary can match up. The two CB will have been out 3 weeks without game action so will they be healthy and fresh or sluggish. That's the big question mark. Although the defensive line is much improved and could make the difference. I see this as a 27-24 type game.

The Griz o-line is much improved too from that first game, an injured starter has returned to the line-up, and the center, who had been moved from guard a few weeks earlier due to a season-ending injury to the starting center, now has some experience at center (and playing in games). The Griz o-line seemed to play fine in that game, tho, but they struggled much of the season. That doesn't mean that your d-line isn't going to give our o-line problems. Just a comment.

BisonBabe
November 29th, 2015, 06:08 PM
Looking forward to seeing all the Griz fans for the game on Saturday. Hoping to meet some of you.

Green26
November 29th, 2015, 06:13 PM

I don't agree that he gets rattled easily. Like most qb's, he throws better when he has more time. He generally gets rid of the ball fast. He doesn't move out of the pocket much. He stands in the pocket and waits to make throws even when the rush is coming at him. He's generally good at throwing the ball away. He threw 3 picks in his 2d game, but that is largely due to a rib injury from the prior game, which made it harder for him to step forward and follow through. None of those throws were bad reads or mistakes; just bad throws. He's been taking good care of the ball with his throws. He makes some terrific throws, but still misses a bit too many.

Green26
November 29th, 2015, 06:19 PM
Hyperbole aside, I'd probably give a the edge to Montana's receivers over the Bison receivers. But the receivers don't play against each other. I think an experienced and healthy Bison secondary in this game can keep the Griz receivers relatively quiet. It's not like the Griz torched NDSU in the first game, and Montana played pretty solid.

The confidence probably comes from recent success, combined with seeing the Griz recently, and the Bison players having something to prove.

While the Griz certainly have a chance to win, I wouldn't bet against the Bison in this game.

I don't know what you consider "torching", but 30 completions for 434 yards and 3 TD's seems like torching to me.

amaal Jones

Ellis Henderson

John Nguyen

Reese Carlson

Ryan Burke

Ben Roberts

Josh Horner

Brady Gustafson

Totals...

thebootfitter
November 29th, 2015, 06:23 PM
I don't know what you consider "torching", but 30 completions for 434 yards and 3 TD's seems like torching to me.
3 TDs is torching? Not in my book.

GetEmGriz
November 29th, 2015, 06:24 PM
I didn't see yesterdays game but did SDSU do something special in the second half to shut the Griz down?

Not really. SDSU did come into the second half with adjustments but Stitt really went conservative with his play calling instead of keeping the foot on the gas. He even said so in the post game press conference.

Green26
November 29th, 2015, 06:26 PM
3 TDs is torching? Not in my book.

434 yards is torching. Let me know if anyone doesn't think 434 yards is torching.

veinup
November 29th, 2015, 06:28 PM
xslapfightx

thebootfitter
November 29th, 2015, 06:40 PM
434 yards is torching. Let me know if anyone doesn't think 434 yards is torching.
Yards don't really matter if you can't put more points on the board.

Either way, like I implied earlier, I won't necessarily be surprised by a Griz win. But I still wouldn't bet against the Bison in this one.

Grizalltheway
November 29th, 2015, 06:43 PM

Either way, like I implied earlier, I won't necessarily be surprised by a Griz win. But I still wouldn't bet against the Bison in this one.

Yeah, because none of those yards set up rushing TDs, and definitely not the winning one.

When was the last time a QB put up that many yards on the NDSU defense before Gustafson?

Bisonator
November 29th, 2015, 07:06 PM
Yeah, because none of those yards set up rushing TDs, and definitely not the winning one.

When was the last time a QB put up that many yards on the NDSU defense before Gustafson?
I don't know. A long damn time though lol. I will say though that the Bison didn't have their best corner for that game. I don't know if it would have meant a win but CJ Smith is a damn good corner, a shut down type player and Champion seems to play much better with him on the field. Also we were breaking in 2 new inexperienced safety's. I think the Griz will have a little harder time throwing it all over on them this game. Might give up a big play here or there still. As long as Gustafson stays in at QB I'm not as concerned as I would be with Simis in there. The Bison have really been burned by the QB run this year. I'm curious to see how Stick and our offense do against a pretty good Griz defense.

BisonFan02
November 29th, 2015, 07:12 PM
I don't know. A long damn time though lol. I will say though that the Bison didn't have their best corner for that game. I don't know if it would have meant a win but CJ Smith is a damn good corner, a shut down type player and Champion seems to play much better with him on the field. Also we were breaking in 2 new inexperienced safety's. I think the Griz will have a little harder time throwing it all over on them this game. Might give up a big play here or there still. As long as Gustafson stays in at QB I'm not as concerned as I would be with Simis in there. The Bison have really been burned by the QB run this year. I'm curious to see how Stick and our offense do against a pretty good Griz defense.

The key here is that having CJ Smith back allows Champion to play as a slot corner...which is where he is a lot more comfortable and effective. Both safeties have also improved dramatically (still a lot of work to do....but it isn't the same situation as the opener). I might have to dig up some of my pre/post game stuff from that first game.

thebootfitter
November 29th, 2015, 07:12 PM

It's probably been awhile. Not interested in looking it up.

It was a close game. Literally came down to a few seconds, and a different bounce here or there might have affected he outcome either way. While the Griz put up a few more yards on the Bison than most teams, neither team was dominant.

The next one should also be a good one. My prediction is the Griz score around 17-21. Bison score around 24-34. Hope I'm on the right track.

If he Griz do pull it off, I think they've got a decent shot at advancing another game or two. We shall see.

Bison56
November 29th, 2015, 07:25 PM
Not really. SDSU did come into the second half with adjustments but Stitt really went conservative with his play calling instead of keeping the foot on the gas. He even said so in the post game press conference.

You answered what I was going to ask which was did they get conservative with the lead? I wondered if he would be a gambler in the playoffs or go more conservative. Be an interesting game saturday.

X-Factor
November 29th, 2015, 07:26 PM
I am pretty sure the last time we gave up those kind of number was against Rhett Bomar of SHSU and the Ball State game in 2006 with Steve Walker when Walker threw for a similar amount.

I think it is quit obvious that is an anomaly and I wouldn't expect the Griz to get anywhere near that again.

Bison56
November 29th, 2015, 07:31 PM
How many games has Gus played in this year?

ursus arctos horribilis
November 29th, 2015, 07:33 PM
You answered what I was going to ask which was did they get conservative with the lead? I wondered if he would be a gambler in the playoffs or go more conservative. Be an interesting game saturday.

He has become a bit more conservative since the CP game going forward really. This actually makes him a more dangerous gambler if you ask me cuz I think he is/has learned that there are situations that it might not be called for at this level and thus doesn't work as well. It is always there though as a possibility, always.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 29th, 2015, 07:34 PM
How many games has Gus played in this year?

6 I think.

Green26
November 29th, 2015, 07:59 PM
6 I think.

Just less than 5.5, I believe. He's just getting warmed up.

bisoninloveland
November 29th, 2015, 08:10 PM
sdsu abandoned the run, big mistake! against there aggressive D. our run game is better. Run vs the pass here we go! Cant wait for next Sat!

Green26
November 29th, 2015, 08:13 PM

UM scored more points than any other team NDSU played this year, 38. No one else go to 30. No team got 3 passing TD's. Only 1 team, SD, got 2 passing TD's. Only 2 other teams got over 202 yards against NDSU, and the highest was 277. UM's other TD was a 1 yard run, set up by a pass to the 1.

Torched, by any measurement.

Boot, you need to step up your game, or you're going to get run out of the gym.

BisonFan02
November 29th, 2015, 08:26 PM
UM scored more points than any other team NDSU played this year, 38. No one else go to 30. No team got 3 passing TD's. Only 1 team, SD, got 2 passing TD's. Only 2 other teams got over 202 yards against NDSU, and the highest was 277. UM's other TD was a 1 yard run, set up by a pass to the 1.

Torched, by any measurement.

Boot, you need to step up your game, or you're going to get run out of the gym.

If you guys needed 400+ yards passing and a home field to beat the Bison on a last second TD, I'm feeling even better about next Saturday. :D xthumbsupx

SeattleGriz
November 29th, 2015, 08:44 PM

A virtual John Kerry.

SeattleGriz
November 29th, 2015, 08:51 PM
Maybe but with ES the running threat is always there. He is serviceable with the pass game right now and will only get better. With Gustufson back it will be a big challenge but this game is at home and the defense has been playing really well as of late.
Your defense play a lot of passing teams lately?

Green26
November 29th, 2015, 09:15 PM
If you guys needed 400+ yards passing and a home field to beat the Bison on a last second TD, I'm feeling even better about next Saturday. :D xthumbsupx

Good for you, but the subject was whether over yards passing and 3 TD's was torching your pass defense.

SeattleGriz
November 29th, 2015, 09:17 PM
He has become a bit more conservative since the CP game going forward really. This actually makes him a more dangerous gambler if you ask me cuz I think he is/has learned that there are situations that it might not be called for at this level and thus doesn't work as well. It is always there though as a possibility, always.
I'm thinking with the players he has, he doesn't have to play as aggressive as at Mines. The Griz can score fast and in bunches - you can afford to be more conservative.

BisonFan02
November 29th, 2015, 09:17 PM
Good for you, but the subject was whether over yards passing and 3 TD's was torching your pass defense.

Not my place or assessment to defend. Zero ****s given by me as long as my Bison win. Think Gus can have a repeat performance?

Grizzlies82
November 29th, 2015, 09:20 PM
sdsu abandoned the run, big mistake! against there aggressive D. our run game is better. Run vs the pass here we go! Cant wait for next Sat!

Don't think So Dakota St abandoned the run. They ran it 41 times. The QB scrambled for a few nice gains while avoiding sacks. Otherwise their problem was they just were not getting many yards on the ground. No doubt No Dakota St will run it better.

IBleedYellow
November 29th, 2015, 09:22 PM
Don't think So Dakota St abandoned the run. They ran it 41 times. The QB scrambled for a few nice gains while avoiding sacks. Otherwise their problem was they just were not getting many yards on the ground. No doubt No Dakota St will run it better.
41 runs is just warming up for our offense in the second part of the year.

FargoBison
November 29th, 2015, 09:27 PM

We got torched, some Bison fans are having issues admitting it. Some still place the blame for the loss on the offense and Carson Wentz. But yeah our pass defense sucked and we got torched, Champion was out of position due to Smith being out and it hurt us immensely against a good passing team.

Grizalltheway
November 29th, 2015, 09:36 PM
I'm thinking with the players he has, he doesn't have to play as aggressive as at Mines. The Griz can score fast and in bunches - you can afford to be more conservative.

Well it very well could have cost us against SDSU and even MSU. No reason not to keep your foot on the gas, although I very much doubt we'll find ourselves in that situation against NDSU.

BisonTru
November 29th, 2015, 10:09 PM
I don't agree that he gets rattled easily. Like most qb's, he throws better when he has more time. He generally gets rid of the ball fast. He doesn't move out of the pocket much. He stands in the pocket and waits to make throws even when the rush is coming at him. He's generally good at throwing the ball away. He threw 3 picks in his 2d game, but that is largely due to a rib injury from the prior game, which made it harder for him to step forward and follow through. None of those throws were bad reads or mistakes; just bad throws. He's been taking good care of the ball with his throws. He makes some terrific throws, but still misses a bit too many.

I never said he got rattled, but one poster did use that term. I think NDSU's gameplan will be to get Gus into the wrong play or stay in the wrong play with disguised coverages, which will be a lot easier with the game being played in Fargo. Once the ball is snapped if his first option is covered and possibly once he realizes the coverage is different then first assumed he will have to start going to different progressions. Hopefully at that point, NDSU has some pressure and can get Gus on the move or best case scenario on the ground. If NDSU can accomplish this at a high clip, I like our chances. As I stated earlier, Gus seems to be less accurate when on the move, which is generally the case when plays start to break down.

Green26
November 29th, 2015, 10:12 PM
We got torched, some Bison fans are having issues admitting it. Some still place the blame for the loss on the offense and Carson Wentz. But yeah our pass defense sucked and we got torched, Champion was out of position due to Smith being out and it hurt us immensely against a good passing team.

Okay, now we can move on. I'd like to say we're going to torch you again, but that seems unlikely. I'm hoping we play well and get some breaks and turnovers. Otherwise, I doubt we can beat you at your house. Having our leading tackler, a very good linebacker, out, is not going to help either. Our receivers are good, and better than the last game. Don't know if that will make a difference on defense. I'd rather be playing you now for the first time.

thebootfitter
November 29th, 2015, 10:14 PM
Meh... Call it what you like, I guess. It's all semantics. I just don't see a last-second 3 point loss as getting torched. No doubt that our secondary got beat a lot in that first game, though.

I definitely am looking forward to this next game!

Bisonoline
November 29th, 2015, 10:15 PM

Yes we got touched. But we were still in the game and winning. All we had to was run the ball at the end and we win. That was coaching. Then we went in to the horrid prevent defense to lose the game. Thats on coaching as well. To this day I dont understand why they did what they did.

Bisonwinagn
November 29th, 2015, 10:16 PM

Yes defense got torched, but was expected. The failure of the offense to score in the second half lost the game!!! The defense is better and I think will have to hold them to 20 points or less for NDSU to win. This looks like a 23-20 type game.

Green26
November 29th, 2015, 10:16 PM
I never said he got rattled, but one poster did use that term. I think NDSU's gameplan will be to get Gus into the wrong play or stay in the wrong play with disguised coverages, which will be a lot easier with the game being played in Fargo. Once the ball is snapped if his first option is covered and possibly once he realizes the coverage is different then first assumed he will have to start going to different progressions. Hopefully at that point, NDSU has some pressure and can get Gus on the move or best case scenario on the ground. If NDSU can accomplish this at a high clip, I like our chances. As I stated earlier, Gus seems to be less accurate when on the move, which is generally the case when plays start to break down.

Yes, I know it was the other poster. I agree with some of what you say, but I don't get this "on the move" stuff. Brady is rarely on the move. He stays in the pocket most of the time. On the rare occasions when he goes out of the pocket, my recollection is that he throws fine. But as you say, he, like most qb's, don't throw as when when hurried. If you are sacking him, which doesn't occur too much, then we're in trouble.

Grizzlies82
November 29th, 2015, 10:19 PM

BisonTru, that is a good assessment and a probable strategy for the Bison to get a win. Brady isn't a scrambling thrower like a Vernon Adams. However, this weekend versus So Dakota St. the Montana offensive line did a fairly good job with protection. Typically he had time. Though So Dakota St had some success getting to him with blitzes. So I'd suspect the UM staff will be focusing on trying to hit the voids left open by those blitzing. Brady is pretty good getting the ball out quickly. Will he be able to do it consistently in Fargo? We will soon learn.

Bisonoline
November 29th, 2015, 10:20 PM
Yes defense got torched, but was expected. The failure of the offense to score in the second half lost the game!!! The defense is better and I think will have to hold them to 20 points or less for NDSU to win. This looks like a 23-20 type game.

Dont understand how you can put it on the offense except for not getting a first down. But look at the play calling in that situation. Even with that we were winning the game with what 2 + left?
We didnt do the D any favors by NOT running the ball and making them use their timeouts. Basic game-clock management strategy.

Yes the D is much better. If we can control the LOS and put pressure on their QB I think we will be ok.

Bisonator
November 29th, 2015, 10:24 PM
One other thing that was a factor in the first match up was a complete lack of film on Stitts Montana offense. I think its safe to say our defense will be better prepared after watching some tape.

Green26
November 29th, 2015, 10:39 PM
One other thing that was a factor in the first match up was a complete lack of film on Stitts Montana offense. I think its safe to say our defense will be better prepared after watching some tape.

Yup, duly noted.

BisonTru
November 29th, 2015, 10:39 PM
Yes, I know it was the other poster. I agree with some of what you say, but I don't get this "on the move" stuff. Brady is rarely on the move. He stays in the pocket most of the time. On the rare occasions when he goes out of the pocket, my recollection is that he throws fine. But as you say, he, like most qb's, don't throw as when when hurried. If you are sacking him, which doesn't occur too much, then we're in trouble.

It's possible in my limited viewing (2 games) he had a higher rate of errant throws while he was on the move than his normal. Hopefully, our DC watches more film than I do. However, with what I've seen I do NOT want Brady to take his two step drop back and then fire. He seems very accurate in those situation and I'd bet most of our defensive coaches are game planning to try and take that away. Like I said disguise coverage and get Brady on the ground, flushed from the pocket, or at the very least to have to slide a little in the pocket.

Professor Chaos
November 29th, 2015, 10:49 PM
Griz beat writer is reporting that leading tackler Kendrick Van Ackeren broke his arm against SDSU.

https://twitter.com/ajmazzolini/status/671182536941240326

Green26
November 29th, 2015, 10:55 PM
Griz beat writer is reporting that leading tackler Kendrick Van Ackeren broke his arm against SDSU.

Professor, see post 149 above. KVA continued to play after getting hurt. He's apparently having surgery tomorrow. He's a tough kid; we expect him on the field on Saturday. Oh, maybe not that tough. He's a big loss, but we've got some good back-ups, one of whom started in the NDSU game due to a suspension.

BisonTru
November 29th, 2015, 10:56 PM

Hmm... he's right behind Gus in all purpose yards.

Also, leads the team in tackles, if that stat is important.

Bisonoline
November 29th, 2015, 10:58 PM

Hate to see that happen to a kid.

Green26
November 29th, 2015, 11:00 PM
It's possible in my limited viewing (2 games) he had a higher rate of errant throws while he was on the move than his normal. Hopefully, our DC watches more film than I do. However, with what I've seen I do NOT want Brady to take his two step drop back and then fire. He seems very accurate in those situation and I'd bet most of our defensive coaches are game planning to try and take that away. Like I said disguise coverage and get Brady on the ground, flushed from the pocket, or at the very least to have to slide a little in the pocket.

He reads coverages very well and is very smart. Think he was the/a valedictorian in high school. Getting to him fast is the best defense. Moving him slightly in the pocket doesn't bother him. And, he's 6'7", and listed at 230. The negative is that he's started only 5 games in his college career. He ran the hurry-up faster yesterday than he did against NDSU.

BisonTru
November 29th, 2015, 11:19 PM
He reads coverages very well and is very smart. Think he was the/a valedictorian in high school. Getting to him fast is the best defense. Moving him slightly in the pocket doesn't bother him. And, he's 6'7", and listed at 230. The negative is that he's started only 5 games in his college career. He ran the hurry-up faster yesterday than he did against NDSU.

I don't doubt he is very good at reading coverages, but one huge advantage both the Griz and Bison get at home is the noise. Teams are forced to go with silent counts which limits their ability to make cadence calls to get the defense to jump one direction or the other to indicate what coverage they are actually in.

I also don't think getting him to slide is a huge advantage, but it does help. If a quarterback is sliding away from pressure and sees an attractive target he has to unload whether his feet are in the best position or not. If you can screw up someone's footwork, you mess with their mechanics, and can potentially cause an errant throw. This is small advantage and some quarterbacks are better than others at completing more mobile and/or unbalanced throws. Like I've stated before Brady looks damn accurate when he fires in a clean pocket.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 30th, 2015, 06:20 AM
Yes we got touched. But we were still in the game and winning. All we had to was run the ball at the end and we win. That was coaching. Then we went in to the horrid prevent defense to lose the game. Thats on coaching as well. To this day I dont understand why they did what they did.

This here.

Run the ball on the last series and make them use timeouts. Bison coaches screwed it up. But give Montana credit on their last drive, they converted something like a 4th and 15 or so....:(

Bring on Gustufson and the Griz. Duplicating the same offensive production might be a little hard away from home.

I like our chances.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 30th, 2015, 06:28 AM
Your defense play a lot of passing teams lately?

SIU probably fits that mold. #9 in FCS passing offense with 298.5/game

NDSU is ranked #16 in passing yards allowed at 177/game. Montana passes for 283.8/game, #13 nationally.

Bison gave up 434 passing yards in the 1st game. I highly doubt that will happen again but we'll see. With how the defense has gotten better and Gustufson not a running threat, I like the Bison's chances. Now if the Bison do not get any pressure on Gustufson and let him sling it all over the field, then the Bison will be in trouble.

Bisonator
November 30th, 2015, 08:10 AM
Sorry to hear about KVA. Even if he plays, tackling might be tough with a cast on.

Bison will need to play up on the WR's and jamb them to disrupt the timing and not allow Gustafson to make quick throws. Have to get pressure with our front for or blitz a LB. On offense we need to pound the ball and have long sustained drives. Stick will need to be efficient in the passing game to keep their D honest.

I just can't see the Bison defense giving up 400+ passing yards again. That first game was a "perfect storm" of a lot of variables.

fencer24
November 30th, 2015, 08:33 AM
The biggest problem with Gustafson is that he can't make the easy throws. Need to thread it through three defenders? Not a problem. Need to throw it to the flat with a wide open receiver? He will send it a mile high and behind.
I am hoping for a good game but not optimistic. But I also think that Stitt will be bringing plays that no one has seen before. That and the maturation of Horner gives Gus four choices, which if the line gives him the time will be nearly impossible to defend. If the Griz get up by three TDs, the Bison are in trouble. If the Bison keep it close going into the fourth, the Griz are in trouble.
Looking forward to a great game. Would love to see all the great fans that came to Missoula, but have other obligations previously scheduled.

Professor Chaos
November 30th, 2015, 09:00 AM
I think one key that hasn't been discussed much is Montana's ability to run the ball. Looking at their game-by-game stats throughout the year they really went away from the 35/65 run-pass split they had earlier in the season, like in their game against NDSU, and as the season went on even got to almost the opposite with a 65/35 run-pass split in a few games. Even after Gustafson came back they ran the ball more than the passed it against EWU and MSU. In fact before the SDSU game, where they ran it 34 times and passed it 39 times, you have to go all the way back to the UC Davis game (5th game of the season) to find a game where they passed it more often than they ran it.

Griz fans will probably roll their eyes at this but I highly doubt they'll have anywhere close to the success they had throwing the ball against NDSU that they did in the first game. Montana passed for 434 yards in that game, a season high for them by 81 yards. It was also the most passing yards NDSU gave up by 157 yards (SIU was next closest throwing for 277 yards). What makes it even more of an anomaly is that NDSU was statistically one of the best passing defenses the Griz saw all year at 14th in the nation with a pass efficiency defense of 105.49 (PSU was slightly better at 104.41). They did just rack up 295 yards at an efficiency rating of 142 against SDSU's 17th ranked passing defense but I don't know what to make of SDSU's pass defense after they gave up nearly as much yardage to Sean McGuire from WIU who looked like hot garbage against non-scholly Dayton last week.

The point is I think Montana is going to have to be able to run the ball more effectively than they did in the first matchup (35 carries for 110 yards for a 3.1 ypc average) to win.

Grizalltheway
November 30th, 2015, 09:05 AM
I think one key that hasn't been discussed much is Montana's ability to run the ball. Looking at their game-by-game stats throughout the year they really went away from the 35/65 run-pass split they had earlier in the season, like in their game against NDSU, and as the season went on even got to almost the opposite with a 65/35 run-pass split in a few games. Even after Gustafson came back they ran the ball more than the passed it against EWU and MSU. In fact before the SDSU game, where they ran it 34 times and passed it 39 times, you have to go all the way back to the UC Davis game (5th game of the season) to find a game where they passed it more often than they ran it.

Griz fans will probably roll their eyes at this but I highly doubt they'll have anywhere close to the success they had throwing the ball against NDSU that they did in the first game. Montana passed for 434 yards in that game, a season high for them by 81 yards. It was also the most passing yards NDSU gave up by 157 yards (SIU was next closest throwing for 277 yards). What makes it even more of an anomaly is that NDSU was statistically the best passing defense the Griz saw all year at 14th in the nation with a pass efficiency defense of 105.49. They did just rack up 295 yards at an efficiency rating of 142 against SDSU's 17th ranked passing defense but I don't know what to make of SDSU's pass defense after they gave up nearly as much yardage to Sean McGuire from WIU who looked like hot garbage against non-scholly Dayton last week.

The point is I think Montana is going to have to be able to run the ball more effectively than they did in the first matchup (35 carries for 110 yards for a 3.1 ypc average) to win.

I don't think he'll pass for that many yards, either, but I don't think he'll necessarily have to. You're right that we'll need to run the ball better, and the defense will need to play lights out, but this team is capable of winning (and losing, obviously) in a variety of ways.

Professor Chaos
November 30th, 2015, 09:14 AM
I don't think he'll pass for that many yards, either, but I don't think he'll necessarily have to. You're right that we'll need to run the ball better, and the defense will need to play lights out, but this team is capable of winning (and losing, obviously) in a variety of ways.
Agreed. I think we're going to see a very different game than we saw back in August, maybe not in terms of score but in terms of how those scores are made. Both of these teams have evolved a ton, as any team would with 10-11 games and 3+ months between matchups.

Green26
November 30th, 2015, 09:51 AM
I don't doubt he is very good at reading coverages, but one huge advantage both the Griz and Bison get at home is the noise. Teams are forced to go with silent counts which limits their ability to make cadence calls to get the defense to jump one direction or the other to indicate what coverage they are actually in.

I also don't think getting him to slide is a huge advantage, but it does help. If a quarterback is sliding away from pressure and sees an attractive target he has to unload whether his feet are in the best position or not. If you can screw up someone's footwork, you mess with their mechanics, and can potentially cause an errant throw. This is small advantage and some quarterbacks are better than others at completing more mobile and/or unbalanced throws. Like I've stated before Brady looks damn accurate when he fires in a clean pocket.

I know noise impacts opposing teams and it's loud at your stadium. However, all or virtually all of Stitt's offense is done with signals from the sideline and hand signals. It's nothing they need to institute. I assume the o-line does use some oral calls. I see the QB clap at times, so that may be something that will have to be deal with. I also see the guard, who is looking up, pat the center in the butt when the QB is ready, and as the guard gets back to his stance. The SDS coach was quoted in the paper as saying the UM line doesn't fire off the ball, they wait to find the defender coming into their gap, and then engage. Yes, it's probably true that UM won't be able to use an oral snap call by the QB to draw the Bison offside. When UM played at NDSU 2 years ago, and had a more traditional offense and more traditional calls, they didn't seem to be overly bothered by the noise. But yes, crowd noise will be a factor, at least to some extent.

Green26
November 30th, 2015, 09:59 AM

Griz fans will probably roll their eyes at this but I highly doubt they'll have anywhere close to the success they had throwing the ball against NDSU that they did in the first game. Montana passed for 434 yards in that game, a season high for them by 81 yards. It was also the most passing yards NDSU gave up by 157 yards (SIU was next closest throwing for 277 yards). What makes it even more of an anomaly is that NDSU was statistically one of the best passing defenses the Griz saw all year at 14th in the nation with a pass efficiency defense of 105.49 (PSU was slightly better at 104.41). They did just rack up 295 yards at an efficiency rating of 142 against SDSU's 17th ranked passing defense but I don't know what to make of SDSU's pass defense after they gave up nearly as much yardage to Sean McGuire from WIU who looked like hot garbage against non-scholly Dayton last week.

Good points and observations. UM's run game has improved, with the improvement of the o-line and probably other factors. Note that UM had a lead in the last 3 games, with Brady, so the running plays in the last several series may have skewed the run/pass stats. UM brought a good frosh rb off of redshirt about mid-season, or just before. He's talented and has become our red zone back. It remains to be seen how much the run game has improved.

In Brady's 3 starts, he's averaged 341 yards passing. This figure may be skewed down slightly, because the back-up came in about the middle of the 3d quarter of the EWU game. Think the back-up threw only 1 pass, as we just ran the ball. I didn't include Brady's 1 quarter and 3 series against Liberty, when he got hurt, as it wasn't a full game. He was 7-13 for 54 yards in that quarter.

UNDBIZ
November 30th, 2015, 11:22 AM
USD beat ndsu. That's all the info needed...... xrotatehx

THE HERD
November 30th, 2015, 11:24 AM
I'm just glad we played you guys earlier this season, because seeing your offense first hand is a feather in our cap so to speak. That plus all the other games on tape now make me feel a little better, but I have a feeling this one is gonna go down to the wire just like the first one.

Grizalltheway
November 30th, 2015, 12:56 PM
Griz open as 17 point underdogs. Hope the players get wind of that.

GetEmGriz
November 30th, 2015, 01:01 PM

This will just add fuel to the fire for our boys.

Bisonator
November 30th, 2015, 01:06 PM

Seriously? Where's that being posted??

Professor Chaos
November 30th, 2015, 01:07 PM
If they need to see a point spread to get fired up they're not really grasping the importance of this game.

BisonFan02
November 30th, 2015, 01:08 PM

Does this mean we can't rush the field after we win now? :D

Professor Chaos
November 30th, 2015, 01:14 PM
Seriously? Where's that being posted??
http://www.5dimes.eu/livelines/livelines.aspx

Check the College box on the upper left under Football. FCS games are usually in the College Extra section but I guess it's a big enough deal now (or there are few enough FBS games) that they can lump us in with the big bad FBS.

BisonFan02
November 30th, 2015, 01:19 PM

Check the College box on the upper left under Football. FCS games are usually in the College Extra section but I guess it's a big enough deal now (or there are few enough FBS games) that they can lump us in with the big bad FBS.

O/U at 50 points.....17 points makes it a 33.5 - 16.5 range for score... :D

This line will be moving. Take the Griz to cover and the over (both teams likely over 25...)

dewey
November 30th, 2015, 01:22 PM
If they need to see a point spread to get fired up they're not really grasping the importance of this game.

No kidding. Not everything is bulletin board material. What's next..."Hey guys some guy on AGS named Dewey thinks NDSU is going to beat us...no way! We will use this as motivation to beat the Bison! Nothing else will motivate us but an opening point spread and some guy named dewey. That will be our motivation. We don't care about winning a playoff game, winning in Fargo during the playoffs, being the 1st team to beat NDSU in the yellow jerseys, or continuing our chase of a National Championship"

Dewey

Green1
November 30th, 2015, 01:29 PM
No kidding. Not everything is bulletin board material. What's next..."Hey guys some guy on AGS named Dewey thinks NDSU is going to beat us...no way! We will use this as motivation to beat the Bison! Nothing else will motivate us but an opening point spread and some guy named dewey. That will be our motivation. We don't care about winning a playoff game, winning in Fargo during the playoffs, being the 1st team to beat NDSU in the yellow jerseys, or continuing our chase of a National Championship"

Dewey

Oh great, Dewey. You just checked off a bunch of boxes from the motivational handbook! UGH! :D

Grizalltheway
November 30th, 2015, 01:33 PM
I'm not saying that will be their only motivation, but anything extra can't hurt in a game like this.

veinup
November 30th, 2015, 01:34 PM

they don't.

TennBison
November 30th, 2015, 02:01 PM
I'm not saying that will be their only motivation, but anything extra can't hurt in a game like this.

The nerve of Montana to go and get motivated, I can't wait to make a copy of this and put it in the NDSU locker room for motivation.

Bisonator
November 30th, 2015, 02:03 PM

Looks like it's already down to -15. Must have been heavy action in Montana already.xlolx

BisonFan02
November 30th, 2015, 02:05 PM
O/U at 50 points.....17 points makes it a 33.5 - 16.5 range for score... :D

This line will be moving. Take the Griz to cover and the over (both teams likely over 25...)

Looks like it's already down to -15. Must have been heavy action in Montana already.xlolx

Yeah.....and the O/U is up a tick to 50.5....this line has a ways to go yet.

Silenoz
November 30th, 2015, 02:09 PM

Maybe it means that extra .05% motivation. Everything helps xcoffeex

dewey
November 30th, 2015, 02:39 PM
Do you Montana fans actually think that an opening point spread will provide motivation for your team? Do you think coach Stitt or any other coaches would even bring a point spread up? If the Grizzlies need ANY motivation from an opening point spread from Las Vegas there are serious issues regarding the coaching staff in Missoula.

Maybe it means that extra .05% motivation. Everything helps xcoffeex

If the Grizzlies need more motivation than playing the 4 time defending National Champions in the Fargodome in the 2nd round of the playoffs there are problems with the Griz coaches.

Dewey

Grizalltheway
November 30th, 2015, 02:59 PM
Dear God, you guys. You're acting like the Griz would be the first team to ever use the "nobody believes in us or thinks we have a chance" angle. They probably used it before the first game, and that seemed to work out okay.

dewey
November 30th, 2015, 03:02 PM
Dear God, you guys. You're acting like the Griz would be the first team to ever use the "nobody believes in us or thinks we have a chance" angle. They probably used it before the first game, and that seemed to work out okay.

I completely agree with the approach of "us against the world or no one thinks we can win this game" but the idea of using an opening point spread for motivation is far fetched.

Dewey

ursus arctos horribilis
November 30th, 2015, 03:05 PM

My thought as well. If it helps even one guy focus though I'll be happy with it. xlolx

GetEmGriz
November 30th, 2015, 03:12 PM
I completely agree with the approach of "us against the world or no one thinks we can win this game" but the idea of using an opening point spread for motivation is far fetched.

Dewey

I see it more as, "They think the first game was a fluke. Let's go prove them wrong." That's what I think of when I see that kind of point spread.

BisonBacker
November 30th, 2015, 03:24 PM
The spread that came out really surprises me and I don't see that happening. Think it's going to be a close game. Could go either way. If the team that played SDSU and WIU shows up for the Bison we win. If the team that played USD shows up were watching the rest of the playoffs on tv.

Silenoz
November 30th, 2015, 03:24 PM
Do you Montana fans actually think that an opening point spread will provide motivation for your team? Do you think coach Stitt or any other coaches would even bring a point spread up? If the Grizzlies need ANY motivation from an opening point spread from Las Vegas there are serious issues regarding the coaching staff in Missoula.

If the Grizzlies need more motivation than playing the 4 time defending National Champions in the Fargodome in the 2nd round of the playoffs there are problems with the Griz coaches.

Dewey

It's not binary. There are shades of motivation between "not motivated" and "the most motivated person in the history of the world"

I dunno if they'll even know or care about the point spread, but I also don't know why you guys are taking such exception to his comment

Schism55
November 30th, 2015, 03:25 PM
Bison will be rested, pumped and angry for this game. Rams have been destroying teams, hope the coaching staff lets them eat all game, push the Grizzs' faces in!

Silenoz
November 30th, 2015, 03:34 PM
Bison will be rested, pumped and angry for this game. Rams have been destroying teams, hope the coaching staff lets them eat all game, push the Grizzs' faces in!

wut

Schism55
November 30th, 2015, 03:36 PM
Rams is the nickname for the Bison O line.

srgrizizen
November 30th, 2015, 03:43 PM

Playing at home with lots of tape on the Griz from which to fix problems in the first game, I'll be amazed if the Bison don't win this one. But that will not erase the UM victory in Missoula, which was viewed by at least ten times as many people as will see this one. The way I see it, the worst the Griz can end up is 2-1 against the mighty MVC. If they win Saturday, the worst they can end up is 3-1. xnodx

Mayville Bison
November 30th, 2015, 03:49 PM
Playing at home with lots of tape on the Griz from which to fix problems in the first game, I'll be amazed if the Bison don't win this one. But that will not erase the UM victory in Missoula, which was viewed by at least ten times as many people as will see this one. The way I see it, the worst the Griz can end up is 2-1 against the mighty MVC. If they win Saturday, the worst they can end up is 3-1. xnodx

Did I miss the sarcasm here? Pretty sure both these teams don't live for moral victories.

Walkon79
November 30th, 2015, 03:55 PM
There was some really chippy, dumb **** going on from both sides. For me, the Griz part was also an embarrassment that I'd love to see us cut the **** out right now.
Didn't watch, but sounds like a little carry-over from the Brawl?

GetEmGriz
November 30th, 2015, 04:25 PM
Didn't watch, but sounds like a little carry-over from the Brawl?

It seems like the chippy stuff pretty much started at the beginning of the EWU game. Early hits to start that game set the tone and it has pretty much continued since then. I love setting the tone early, but once you do, there's no need to keep on making stupid penalties. Set the tone early, play tough defense, and walk away after a great play.

Peems
November 30th, 2015, 04:55 PM
My head says it will be very difficult for the Griz to pull the upset again, this time on the road. My heart says that this squad has been playing very well the past couple weeks and can compete with anyone in the country and we shall overcome!

BisonTru
November 30th, 2015, 07:31 PM
Does Stitt have a weekly press conference, radio show, ect? Video or podcast?

veinup
November 30th, 2015, 07:32 PM
is a ram like a male buffalo or something?

Professor Chaos
November 30th, 2015, 07:35 PM
is a ram like a male buffalo or something?
If you really are interested in knowing why this became the nickname for the O-line this article from back in 2011 explains it: http://www.njtamil.com/2011/10/29/unds-solum-ndsus-richard-are-last-rams-influenced-by-ex-coach-neis/

Grizalltheway
November 30th, 2015, 07:37 PM
Does Stitt have a weekly press conference, radio show, ect? Video or podcast?

I believe the weekly press conference is usually on Tuesday...maybe Wednesday.

SeattleGriz
November 30th, 2015, 08:21 PM
Disrespected, in more ways than one.

Bisonoline
November 30th, 2015, 08:41 PM

So youve already made an excuse to make yourself feel better if you lose?xthumbsdownxxnonono2x

Casey_Orourke
November 30th, 2015, 10:54 PM
Don't know if anybody else already posted this, but Montana LB Van Ackeren is out with a broken arm that will require surgery. The injury occurred during the South Dakota State game.

http://m.billingsgazette.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/football/montana-lb-van-ackeren-broke-arm-vs-south-dakota-state/article_2d41651a-ab22-5013-82cc-69c43c495c0d.html

Looks like somebody already did.....:(

gotts
November 30th, 2015, 11:06 PM
As of 11:07 CST, the line looks to be at NDSU -12 O/U 52

Green26
November 30th, 2015, 11:11 PM
It's not binary. There are shades of motivation between "not motivated" and "the most motivated person in the history of the world"

I dunno if they'll even know or care about the point spread, but I also don't know why you guys are taking such exception to his comment

Don't think Dewey ever played the game. Just a big talker, is my guess. Could be wrong.

Drblankstare
December 1st, 2015, 05:49 AM
Take the points, I would be really surprised if this game didnt turn out very similar to the 1st one. Though I dont think there will be as many total points scored.

Professor Chaos
December 1st, 2015, 07:47 AM
As of 11:07 CST, the line looks to be at NDSU -12 O/U 52
I hope how far that line has gone down in a day gets put on NDSU's bulletin board.

BisonBacker
December 1st, 2015, 08:23 AM
I hope how far that line has gone down in a day gets put on NDSU's bulletin board.

LOL

dewey
December 1st, 2015, 09:55 AM
Don't think Dewey ever played the game. Just a big talker, is my guess. Could be wrong.

Yeah my track record here of being a big talker is very well documented. I am sure if you ask anyone here they would say the samething.

Dewey

BisonFan02
December 1st, 2015, 09:56 AM
Yeah my track record here of being a big talker is very well documented. I am sure if you ask anyone here they would say the samething.

Dewey

Yup....dick. :D xlolx

Dewey

Bisonator
December 1st, 2015, 09:59 AM
Yup....dick. :D xlolx

Dewey
Great now Dewey's a big meany like clenz! xlolx

dewey
December 1st, 2015, 10:00 AM
Here is a blog from the Bison Media Blog about the game and a few plays that were critical in the outcome from August.

Here is an excerpt from the post.
North Dakota State will match up with Montana in the second round of the FCS playoffs this coming Saturday, the first time these prestigious programs have met in the postseason since the 1970 Camellia Bowl, which was a season ending bowl for the NCAA College Division, the predecessor of Division 2. This is the second time the Bison will meet the Griz this season, after a thrilling 38-35 win by Montana to open the 2015 season in Missoula.

There were four*turning points in that game that turned it for the Griz.

- See more at: http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/here-we-go-again-2/#sthash.NTZfPV1Z.dpuf

Dewey

IBleedYellow
December 1st, 2015, 10:08 AM
Damnit, Dewey. Why do you have to turn into clenz and hate every team that isn't Northern Iowa?

Dewey

BisonFan02
December 1st, 2015, 10:09 AM
Damnit, Dewey. Why do you have to turn into clenz and hate every team that isn't Northern Iowa?

Dewey

xbawlingx

IBleedYellow

dewey
December 1st, 2015, 10:14 AM
Is anyone going to the game on Saturday and tailgating? I plan to bring my 5 year old with me and we would like to tailgate with some people before the game. I would be happy to bring some money or beer as a thanks.

I will try to be nice:-)

Dewey

Bison56
December 1st, 2015, 11:54 AM

Dewey

Yep total D-bag.
Bring back Lakes, at least he was reasonable.

Catsfan90
December 1st, 2015, 12:12 PM
Really excited for this game! Really cheering for Montana here, I enjoyed watching them play the first game this year. This win would be huge for them!

Grizzlies82
December 1st, 2015, 12:37 PM
Is anyone going to the game on Saturday and tailgating? I plan to bring my 5 year old with me and we would like to tailgate with some people before the game. I would be happy to bring some money or beer as a thanks.

I will try to be nice:-)

Dewey

Dewey, even though you've possibly turned mean lately, you and your son are welcome to hang with me.

I will be watching the game at a sports bar in Billings. They have pretty good food and plenty to drink. It will be much warmer than standing around a Fargo tailgate. Also, no problem bringing your son into the bar, this is Montana and bars are sort of like recreational centers for all ages. See you there?

dewey
December 1st, 2015, 12:52 PM
Dewey, even though you've possibly turned mean lately, you and your son are welcome to hang with me.

I will be watching the game at a sports bar in Billings. They have pretty good food and plenty to drink. It will be much warmer than standing around a Fargo tailgate. Also, no problem bringing your son into the bar, this is Montana and bars are sort of like recreational centers for all ages. See you there?

Thanks for the invite:D

Dewey

dewey
December 1st, 2015, 01:12 PM
Here is a video from the Bison Media Blog.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=83mj4afFqaE

If you don't follow the Bison Media Blog you are really missing out on some great NDSU information but they also do a great job of covering the entire FCS.

Dewey

BisonFan02
December 1st, 2015, 01:12 PM

Do they have a lot of room for activities?! :D

Cleets
December 1st, 2015, 01:37 PM
I just don't see Montana winning this game...
It feels like NDSU wins this by 10 with the ball at the end

Grizalltheway
December 1st, 2015, 02:04 PM
I just don't see Montana winning this game...
It feels like NDSU wins this by 10 with the ball at the end

You may be right, but until someone proves they have an answer for the Griz receivers (with Gus at the helm), I'm going to continue to pick them. xnodx

dewey
December 1st, 2015, 03:17 PM
You may be right, but until someone proves they have an answer for the Griz receivers (with Gus at the helm), I'm going to continue to pick them. xnodx

SDSU appeared to have really contain the Grizzlies offense in the 2nd half after struggling in the 1st half. The great thing is that NDSU will see what not to do (aka the 1st half) and what works (aka the 2nd half).

So SDSU fans what did your team do so wrong in the 1st half and so right in the 2nd half? The Bison Media Blog guys brought up an interesting stat in that Montana was roughly #115 in FCS in TOP and NDSU is #1. If NDSU can control the ball and clock then it will give Montana less possessions and less on field time to figure out what NDSU is doing defensively.

Dewey

GetEmGriz
December 1st, 2015, 03:28 PM
SDSU appeared to have really contain the Grizzlies offense in the 2nd half after struggling in the 1st half. The great thing is that NDSU will see what not to do (aka the 1st half) and what works (aka the 2nd half).

So SDSU fans what did your team do so wrong in the 1st half and so right in the 2nd half? The Bison Media Blog guys brought up an interesting stat in that Montana was roughly #115 in FCS in TOP and NDSU is #1. If NDSU can control the ball and clock then it will give Montana less possessions and less on field time to figure out what NDSU is doing defensively.

Dewey

The Jacks did make adjustments in the 2nd half, but Montana really went conservative way too early. In the post-game press conference, Stitt said that he let his foot off the gas and went conservative with his play calling in the 3rd quarter which allowed SDSU to get back in it. If he kept the aggressive tone as he did in the 1st half, the Griz most likely would have put more points on the board.

Grizalltheway
December 1st, 2015, 03:29 PM

Dewey

I would say a combination of the Griz going conservative too early and SDSU doing a better job of bringing pressure. Our players also seemed to think they were already on their way to Fargo at halftime, and didn't execute nearly as well in the second half.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 1st, 2015, 03:42 PM
I would say a combination of the Griz going conservative too early and SDSU doing a better job of bringing pressure. Our players also seemed to think they were already on their way to Fargo at halftime, and didn't execute nearly as well in the second half.

I alluded to that in a few posts around the board. The focus was what seemed to be the most prevalent loss for me. Sure Stitt says he went conservative, he might have a bit, but even with that we should probably have been able to keep it going a bit better and keep it out of their hands more...like we did for the last 5 minuntes of the game.

But mainly, SDSU is a good team and they just flat out stood up and made their presence known.

BisonBacker
December 1st, 2015, 03:49 PM

Dewey

They didn't do this in the first half or do it much but did in the 2nd half. Blitzed the A gap.

Grizalltheway
December 1st, 2015, 03:54 PM
I alluded to that in a few posts around the board. The focus was what seemed to be the most prevalent loss for me. Sure Stitt says he went conservative, he might have a bit, but even with that we should probably have been able to keep it going a bit better and keep it out of their hands more...like we did for the last 5 minuntes of the game.

But mainly, SDSU is a good team and they just flat out stood up and made their presence known.

True, there's definitely no shame in "only" beating a team like that by 7, even if it could have been more.

Grizalltheway
December 1st, 2015, 03:58 PM
IIRC, NDSU did a fair amount of blitzing in the first game, but Gus usually managed to get his throws off in time. But man he took some serious punishment afterwards.

Professor Chaos
December 1st, 2015, 04:09 PM
IIRC, NDSU did a fair amount of blitzing in the first game, but Gus usually managed to get his throws off in time. But man he took some serious punishment afterwards.
I'd suspect you won't see a lot of blitzing from NDSU this time. Klieman even mentioned in his presser how they need to get pressure with the front 4. DE Greg Menard is one guy who has transformed himself from a good player at the start of the year to a disruptive game changer late in the year. It was against Missouri St, one of the worst teams in the country, but a couple times he was able to get around their tackle with a speed rush basically untouched and destroyed the QB before he had even gotten set. I think for NDSU to stymie this Griz offense he's going to have to play like your guy Holmes has all year and consistently disrupt the QB. NDSU isn't going to be able to cover up the Griz WRs so their best pass defense has got to be the pass rush.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 1st, 2015, 04:32 PM
They didn't do this in the first half or do it much but did in the 2nd half. Blitzed the A gap.

I'll have to go watch it again but did not really notice that as a big difference in the two halves. Could be I guess, just didn't notice that.

Not gonna be making this trip btw BB but Alpha and another friend are gonna be there so hope you run into those guys there.xthumbsupx

ursus arctos horribilis
December 1st, 2015, 04:38 PM
I'd suspect you won't see a lot of blitzing from NDSU this time. Klieman even mentioned in his presser how they need to get pressure with the front 4. DE Greg Menard is one guy who has transformed himself from a good player at the start of the year to a disruptive game changer late in the year. It was against Missouri St, one of the worst teams in the country, but a couple times he was able to get around their tackle with a speed rush basically untouched and destroyed the QB before he had even gotten set. I think for NDSU to stymie this Griz offense he's going to have to play like your guy Holmes has all year and consistently disrupt the QB. NDSU isn't going to be able to cover up the Griz WRs so their best pass defense has got to be the pass rush.

Damn, I was really hoping the "blitz him" thing would take hold cuz he gets rid of it real quick and that can and will kill a D effort quickly and is generally not the answer for this offense. xlolx

You guys are good enough base defense to give us trouble but I'll be fine seeing you all run an abundance of blitzes, I encourage it. Let Klieman know will ya...it's a good idea...blitz a bunch.

Professor Chaos
December 1st, 2015, 04:48 PM
Damn, I was really hoping the "blitz him" thing would take hold cuz he gets rid of it real quick and that can and will kill a D effort quickly and is generally not the answer for this offense. xlolx

You guys are good enough base defense to give us trouble but I'll be fine seeing you all run an abundance of blitzes, I encourage it. Let Klieman know will ya...it's a good idea...blitz a bunch.
Zero blitz at least every 3rd play... got it!

In all seriousness, I'd expect NDSU's defense to play the old "keep everything in front of us" game. Against the Griz in the first game and in several other games throughout the year the Bison defense has been burned by big plays and that's how teams who've scored more than 20 on them throughout the year have been able to do it. When they force teams to go 8-10 plays or more to score they usually are able to get off the field (as evidenced by an outstanding 26.8% 3rd down defense on the season) surrendering 3 or 0 points. As has been noted by at least one Griz poster Gustafson does have a tendency to miss open receivers every once in a while so I think NDSU is going to try to force him to be on point throwing into coverage and hope that he makes a mistake or two that gets them behind the sticks in the early downs and forces them into 3rd and medium/longs. Then you may see some blitzing.

caribbeanhen
December 1st, 2015, 04:55 PM
Good evening Fargo! anyone need some warm Caribbean Breeze to liven this Igloo up xnodx

Professor Chaos
December 1st, 2015, 04:57 PM
Good evening Fargo! anyone need some warm Caribbean Breeze to liven this Igloo up xnodx
Sounds like it'll be a balmy 40 on game day. I might even need to bring some ice in my tailgating cooler instead of using the cooler to make sure my beer doesn't freeze... it has been snowing for roughly the last 24 hours straight though.

Bison56
December 1st, 2015, 05:12 PM
I am sure many agree that the Bison will need some long time consuming drives. Nothing more frustrating to an opposing offense then to sit on the sidelines and watch the other team take up a lot of time and score.

Professor Chaos
December 1st, 2015, 05:18 PM
I am sure many agree that the Bison will need some long time consuming drives. Nothing more frustrating to an opposing offense then to sit on the sidelines and watch the other team take up a lot of time and score.
Especially for an offense like the Griz that is so hard to stop when they're in a rhythm.

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 1st, 2015, 05:39 PM
My prediction:
If the Griz get up early and play with the lead Griz win 41-27

NDSU will have two turnovers

Griz TOP will be below 22 mins

Gustafson throws for 350+

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Silenoz
December 1st, 2015, 05:49 PM
My prediction:
If the Griz get up early and play with the lead Griz win 41-27

http://10.1.225.4:9015/warnbypass

jacksfan29
December 1st, 2015, 06:05 PM

The above is correct, plus we decided to forget about our woes and actually play. We slept through the first half feeling sorry for ourselves.

On the Argus Leader live chat today, Matt Zimmer who covers SDSU stated he wasn't overly impressed with Montana. Didn't sound as if he thought NDSU would have much trouble on Saturday. My guess, NDSU 31 - UM 17.