PDA

View Full Version : Is Appalachian State still considering a move to FBS (formerly I-A)?

woffordgrad94
December 12th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Maybe I shouldn't say anything at all because I know I don't have all the facts, but if I were the Mountaineers, I would not do it. You have built something very special in Boone. I would prefer winning championships to becoming an also-ran that might play in some crappy bowl game like the Motor City Bowl, New Orleans Bowl, or International Bowl every now and then. Winning is much more fun than the alternative.

ncguitarplyr
December 12th, 2006, 10:46 AM
best case scenario we could probably be as good as marshall is after a couple years worst case scenario we'd be like temple or something.....so the question is would u rather have app's football team or marshall's team...and if you said marshall would you prefer it enough to risk being temple

ncguitarplyr
December 12th, 2006, 10:47 AM
i don't think we're ready yet...our stadium isn't big enough yet...i dunno if conference usa would let us in straight away but thats the only way i think id wanna move up...i don't wanna have to join the sunbelt and then hope someday c-usa lets us in

GGASU
December 12th, 2006, 10:48 AM
A lot of people think that the guys in charge want to move higher within 5 years.

I personally wouldn't want to see it happen until FBS has a 16 team playoff in place.

I would hate to see the Mountaineers sitting undefeated like Boise State and playing in a meaningless exhibition game. :bang: :bang:

ncguitarplyr
December 12th, 2006, 10:50 AM
well thats never gonna happen lol they'll be lucky if they get a +1 system in the next 5yrs....and if we're even foreseeing that as a problem we should move up right now lol

woffordgrad94
December 12th, 2006, 10:52 AM
It would be sad to see you go. It would be a big loss for the SoCon and FSC football in general. I like competing against the best.

APPST '93
December 12th, 2006, 11:00 AM
We are not going anywhere anytime soon. I got this from a source that helps oversee what's best for the University. We would lose too much $$$$$$!

APPST '93
December 12th, 2006, 11:03 AM
I would hate to see the Mountaineers sitting undefeated like Boise State and playing in a meaningless exhibition game. :bang: :bang:

I wouldn't call a BCS bid an exhibition game.:twocents:

ncguitarplyr
December 12th, 2006, 11:03 AM
we need to keep improving our basketball program....i think thats really holding us back from joining conference-usa

Appaholic
December 12th, 2006, 11:07 AM
We are not going anywhere anytime soon. I got this from a source that helps oversee what's best for the University. We would lose too much $$$$$$!

I hope you are right. Call me sentimental, but I like our current status. We are a good school with a good football team. What I love about FCS is the playoffs and the fact that none of the schools are so-called "football factories" or "NFL farm teams". This might be off base as I am biased, but I think the FCS holds a little truer to the "scholar-athlete" status than your typical BCS schools. Obviously no quantifiable data to back this claim up, but more a personal opinion.

youwouldno
December 12th, 2006, 11:13 AM
The most important thing for a program is winning. Ask GSU. The problem for App St, and what will keep them in the FCS for a while, is that there is nowhere to go. The MAC would not consider App St for geographic and basketball reasons. C-USA wouldn't take a Sun Belt program so going SBC first doesn't help them. WKU was already a Sun Belt member for most sports and moved football to the Sun Belt because their basketball program gives them a decent long-run chance to be admitted to the MAC.

But App St doesn't have such a course available. And it's highly probably that ECU would try to block App St from moving to C-USA, assuming that conference wanted a SBC member, because it would represent a threat to them, given the saturation of programs in the state of NC. Another problem is that App St is a very bad geographic fit for the Sun Belt. The SBC wouldn't care, because it would entail a limited number of long trips per institution. But App St would face huge increases in travel costs while playing in a conference with no rivals and no media attention.

If App averaged 30K+ in football and substantially bolstered their athletic program across the board, moving up probably would be a tenable proposition, despite the risk. Of course, it would have to be without the coach that made App St what it is today, and anyone who thinks Moore isn't the reason for App St's success is brain-dead. It's easy to speculate on "moving up," but the actual scenarios involved are very complicated and fraught with peril. I also question, philosophically, a fan who prefers to be present-day Troy, rather than a Tressel-era Youngstown State. But that attitude is persistent. App St will hang around because they have no choice, not because they want to.

ButlerGSU
December 12th, 2006, 11:24 AM
In 10 years I see GSU and App moving together somewhere...

GaSouthern
December 12th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Maybe I shouldn't say anything at all because I know I don't have all the facts, but if I were the Mountaineers, I would not do it. You have built something very special in Boone. I would prefer winning championships to becoming an also-ran that might play in some crappy bowl game like the Motor City Bowl, New Orleans Bowl, or International Bowl every now and then. Winning is much more fun than the alternative.

Ask most GSU fans, we wish we would have made the jump after any set of back to back national championships we won, we missed our train out, don't let yours pass by ASU! :(

ncguitarplyr
December 12th, 2006, 11:55 AM
we could always start our own damn conference lol gsu u want in?

GaSouthern
December 12th, 2006, 11:57 AM
I'm Game.

We could play each other 8 times and then hold a championship.

ncguitarplyr
December 12th, 2006, 11:58 AM
we'll call it the BIG-2

Appguy
December 12th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Ive heard we wont move up until we could go ACC.
our basketball programs pretty good for being in the SOCON. we were one win away from being in the NCAA tournament last year.

ncguitarplyr
December 12th, 2006, 12:01 PM
we can't even get in conference-usa which isn't anywhere near as good as the acc...we might as well try to get in sec lol

ncguitarplyr
December 12th, 2006, 12:04 PM
here's a really old article from our school newspaper the appalachian

from 10/9/2001

Move to I-A unwise
Faculty Senate decision to oppose move is sound; BOT should quash measure

The Appalachian State University Faculty Senate recently issued a statement opposing a reclassification of the university’s football program from Division I-AA to I-A.

The results of a 1999 study revealed 98 percent of those who participated were opposed to such a move at that time, according to Faculty Senate Vice Chair Dr. Paul Gates, an assistant professor in the Department of communication.

While that survey is a bit dated, we doubt a number that significant will have undergone an ample shift to warrant another university inquiry into a jump to I-A.

A move to the NCAA’s premier classification would also require a sizeable boost in the university’s athletic budget if the Mountaineers were to have the needed resources to build a competitive football program.

The jump would require Appalachian to expand the size of Kidd Brewer Stadium, hire additional coaches and increase its allotment for football-related travel expenses.

We feel an initiative to boost that budget would be a hard sell in light of the $2 million the North Carolina General Assembly recently mandated Appalachian State must cut from its operating budget as part of its state-budget package.

“When our academic funding has been cut, there is no room for an increase in our athletic budget,” said Gates in the Oct. 2 edition of The Appalachian.

Given the recent economic slowdown, it may be years before the state is in a financial situation to increase Appalachian’s yearly allotment of state funds to help offset the cost of a move into the Division I-A football ranks.

An increase in student fees or tuition to help fund the move is an option we strongly oppose, especially after students were forced to incur the first installment of a campus-initiated $300 tuition hike in their fall semester bills followed by an additional 5 percent increase handed down as under the state budget.

Along with the widespread financial implications of a move to I-A, a jump would also raise questions in regard to competition.
Despite the Mountaineer football program’s success in the Southern Conference and several impressive runs through the NCAA Division I-AA National Playoffs, we question whether the program would ever reach a comparable level after a jump to
Division I-A.

The move to Division I-A is slated to appear on the Appalachian State Board of Trustees agenda at the body’s December meeting.
Dr. Alan Hauser, a professor in the department of philosophy and religion, said he feels the measure will be defeated by the trustees later this year.

We join the Faculty Senate in its opposition of a move to reclassify Appalachian football as a Division I-A program and hope the trustees will indeed strike down the move.

AppStateMan
December 12th, 2006, 12:05 PM

Thank you! I would hate to see us leave. I love our current tradition and rivalries. I also love WINNING....and that my friend is what football and ASU is all about. We could never ever ever compete at the higher level (ok, maybe once every 20 years like Wake Forest lol)

ncguitarplyr
December 12th, 2006, 12:06 PM
in a related topic i found this (a blog right after the app/ncstate game)while searching for that article and i thought it was funny cause it was true:

When I-AA Appalachian lines up against any I-A school, one of three outcomes is possible:

1 – The game quickly becomes a blowout, with the Apps on the losing end of a long night (see regretfully Hawaii, Marshall, Wyoming)
2 – Appalachian hangs tough for three quarters, but tires out in the fourth and fades. (see simply Clemson, LSU, Auburn)
3 – We beat Wake Forest. (see the reason we’re no longer on that schedule)

Saturday night against NC State was the return of scenario No. 2. The defending I-AA National Champions were humbled by a ho-hum I-A. It wasn’t a blowout, yet it was a loss. No ribbons are awarded for playing close.

AppStateMan
December 12th, 2006, 12:08 PM
in a related topic i found this (a blog right after the app/ncstate game)while searching for that article and i thought it was funny cause it was true:

LOVE IT! hahaha

BeauFoster
December 12th, 2006, 12:10 PM
I would love a shot at Wake for the NC (North Carolina) Championship. No, I don't think ASU would win, but it would be a fairly close ballgame simply because of our D. They would score on a few trick plays and wear the Apps down, but it would be fun to watch.

ErkPeterson
December 12th, 2006, 12:36 PM
If either GSU or APP St. makes a commitment I think we will both "jump". Otherwise we will be left in the "Private Carolina League" (I don't mean to upset anyone by this). I do think it will happen eventually because lets all face it, Football is a business. Moving to 1-A will cost alot of $ but in the long run will bring in tons more than winning the 1-AA NC every year for 10 straight years.
The Admins knows this and anything to bring in more $ will be persued in earnest. Its sad to say but it is the truth. GSU fans are pretty split on jumping or staying. Alot of it has to do with gaining respect within the state (GT & UGA). They still refer to us as "highschool" even though we've won more NC's in our prospective league then the 2 combined. Beleive me I have choked slammed more bulldawg fans then I care to count on this issue. Then you have the those that want to remain here and continue to rack up more NC's and remain at the top of 1-A (We are def no longer there anymore, but besides the point). There is no argument here on that and I myself am even hesitant. Just my :twocents:

Grizalltheway
December 12th, 2006, 12:37 PM
I wouldn't call a BCS bid an exhibition game.:twocents:

Huge payout, other than that, meaningless.

ASU Kep
December 12th, 2006, 12:39 PM
In 10 years I see GSU and App moving together somewhere...

FTR, I don't want App to go anywhere anytime soon. If we do, this is what it would take to make me (somewhat) happy about it:

1) GSU comes with us. I'd love to see Furman come along too, but we all know they won't.

2) We either start a new I-A conference with some current SOCONS and A-10s or move immediately into C-USA. Hey, maybe CCU would be interested by the time this would happen, too.

3) Charlie Cobb and Chancellor Peacock sign some sorta contract sayin' they ain't going anywhere :) (good leadership is CRUCIAL).

4) The aforementioned leaders totally commit to putting large amounts of $$$ (read: we'd lose money for some time) into improvements, facilities, and RECRUITMENT.

ASU Kep
December 12th, 2006, 12:42 PM
I would love a shot at Wake for the NC (North Carolina) Championship. No, I don't think ASU would win, but it would be a fairly close ballgame simply because of our D. They would score on a few trick plays and wear the Apps down, but it would be fun to watch.

I think Wake right now would certianly beat us, but I'd give every cent to my name (not that many, unfortunately :nonono2: ) to get another shot at those a-hole NC Staters. In Boone, we'd win by 30 right now. In Raleigh, I still think we win by two scores.

ButlerGSU
December 12th, 2006, 12:56 PM
FTR, I don't want App to go anywhere anytime soon. If we do, this is what it would take to make me (somewhat) happy about it:

1) GSU comes with us. I'd love to see Furman come along too, but we all know they won't.

2) We either start a new I-A conference with some current SOCONS and A-10s or move immediately into C-USA. Hey, maybe CCU would be interested by the time this would happen, too.

3) Charlie Cobb and Chancellor Peacock sign some sorta contract sayin' they ain't going anywhere :) (good leadership is CRUCIAL).

4) The aforementioned leaders totally commit to putting large amounts of $$$ (read: we'd lose money for some time) into improvements, facilities, and RECRUITMENT.

I agree, as the two largest schools in the SoCon App and GSU will make the move together. Right now however Dr. Grube is focused on moving GSU forward academically hence avg SATs now at 1100 and we've been classified as a National Research University by the Carnagie Foundation. I believe the debate will heat up as GSU approaches 20,000 students and has met all of Grubes goals which shouldn't take long, the last fund campaign had a goal of 40 million but I believe raised 56 million. Some other GSU fans on here could correct me if I'm wrong.

SoCon48
December 12th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Ive heard we wont move up until we could go ACC.
our basketball programs pretty good for being in the SOCON. we were one win away from being in the NCAA tournament last year.

Well, then, that means never.

CCU2003
December 12th, 2006, 01:26 PM
For gods sakes please wait until your literally bursting at the seams with facilities and support services! All it takes is a peak at Idaho to see how bad a mistimed jump up to the BCS can be. It sounds like the facilities are on the way and you sure as hell compete at the top of our division, but what sets BCS apart is the support- strength, academic, compliance, coaching. Those are huge budgetary hurdles. Facilities first, keep winning championships and when the coffers are full of cash make the leap!:twocents:

mistersykes
December 12th, 2006, 01:38 PM
I really am against moving up. I grew up an NC State fan, but now that I know of the CS, I'm never going back to BS. It's really just not as exciting for me, and I've seen both sides up close. That has nothing to do with the fact that NC State is not good (they were never great) anymore. I hope App is here for the long haul.

ncguitarplyr
December 12th, 2006, 01:42 PM
the "postseason" in the bcs is not nearly as exciting...but during the regular season you're playing very well known teams all the time which is fun....if we could be successful in the bcs id say go for it but we can't be at this point

NativeAppy
December 12th, 2006, 01:42 PM
we'll call it the BIG-2

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

we could join the ACC... we could beat Duke, NC, State, VA, and probably the U (assuming they don't assault us pre-game):smiley_wi

appfan2008
December 12th, 2006, 01:54 PM
I like winning a lot more than making money so lets please stay I like it here

HiHiYikas
December 12th, 2006, 02:05 PM
There are so many things that make FCS great - from the small, private powerhouses like Furman to the large public schools like Cal Poly, from upstarts like CCU to the long, proud traditions of HBCU teams and the Ivy League.

In FCS, you can actually watch programs grow and fade - JMU wins it all one year, fails to make the playoffs the next, breaks the top 10 the next. ASU goes from so-so to national champion - and it all happens in a matter of a few years. Folks, that's fun to watch. There's a new or unfamiliar face in the playoffs almost every year. Every postseason we get introduced to Tenn-Martin's and CCU's, and are fascinated by the ways they've put a successful season together.

FCS is just interesting. It generates good stories. BCS is like a Starbucks-sponsored contest between Wal-Mart and Microsoft. It's pure lowest-common denominator. If it weren't for the typical American sports fan's obsession with all things huge, BCS wouldn't have a chance against FCS in the court of public opinion.

As long as the BCS is a the corporate-sponsored "bigger-is-better" festival (occasionally featuring, I'm told, meaningful college football), I'm happy to see the Mountaineers staying put.

We could play each other 8 times and then hold a championship.

The Big 2...that's great! ASU and GaSo would go 4-4 every year and win every other National Championship.

KiddBrewer
December 12th, 2006, 04:36 PM
id be cool with never leaving FCS.....if we could have games each year against FBS teams. Im sorry, and I greatly enjoy winning ball games just as much as all of you, but as a student, it gets old being called the little brother of teams like wake and ecu and even bigger schools without being allowed the chance to disprove that on the field....And lets just throw this idea out there for ****s and giggles....suppose Appalachian keeps winning national championships....its a hard thing to do, certainly, but just because it hasnt happened doesnt mean it cant. Nobody related to athletics is taking a "aw shucks, were playin in a second national championship, golly"...everybody that pays any attention can see that, as long as we win, athletic facilities, interest, performance (in all sports) is going to continue to rise...and with the rise of athletic performance and interest comes more good recruits, and also an extreme rise in academic performance, as that is evident in the last 2 years incoming freshmen alone. The University is growing faster than any school in the state, and I believe one, it is directly connected to football, and two it will not level out as long as the football team continues to win...I truly believe, being a person that is around graduating high school seniors, that this school could grow to as much as 25,000 in the next 10 years, and they even with a vast increase in cost, people would still want to attend ASU...I know it's a big IIIIFFFFF, but what if appalachian was to win 6 NC's in 10 years, or even more, and the student body continued to grow (appalachian owns llloaaddsss of land, dont tell me they couldnt build more academic facilities), would the university and athletics still be satisfied?

KiddBrewer
December 12th, 2006, 04:37 PM
and im not, by any means, saying this because weve had a good couple of years, this idea was brought up wayy before we were national champions or close.

ncguitarplyr
December 12th, 2006, 04:51 PM
the thought of being ECU's little brother makes me wanna vomit

mistersykes
December 12th, 2006, 04:55 PM
id be cool with never leaving FCS.....if we could have games each year against FBS teams. Im sorry, and I greatly enjoy winning ball games just as much as all of you, but as a student, it gets old being called the little brother of teams like wake and ecu and even bigger schools without being allowed the chance to disprove that on the field....And lets just throw this idea out there for ****s and giggles....suppose Appalachian keeps winning national championships....its a hard thing to do, certainly, but just because it hasnt happened doesnt mean it cant. Nobody related to athletics is taking a "aw shucks, were playin in a second national championship, golly"...everybody that pays any attention can see that, as long as we win, athletic facilities, interest, performance (in all sports) is going to continue to rise...and with the rise of athletic performance and interest comes more good recruits, and also an extreme rise in academic performance, as that is evident in the last 2 years incoming freshmen alone. The University is growing faster than any school in the state, and I believe one, it is directly connected to football, and two it will not level out as long as the football team continues to win...I truly believe, being a person that is around graduating high school seniors, that this school could grow to as much as 25,000 in the next 10 years, and they even with a vast increase in cost, people would still want to attend ASU...I know it's a big IIIIFFFFF, but what if appalachian was to win 6 NC's in 10 years, or even more, and the student body continued to grow (appalachian owns llloaaddsss of land, dont tell me they couldnt build more academic facilities), would the university and athletics still be satisfied?

I don't think its going to happen, but I'd like to see the school stay the same size. One of the reasons that I came here was a smaller school atmosphere at a relatively large school. I mean, it feels like only 8,000 people go here instead of about double that. Student population was the reason I didn't apply to NC State. There's a good chance that it could get up there with State though in a few years.

UMass922
December 12th, 2006, 05:19 PM
There are so many things that make FCS great - from the small, private powerhouses like Furman to the large public schools like Cal Poly, from upstarts like CCU to the long, proud traditions of HBCU teams and the Ivy League.

In FCS, you can actually watch programs grow and fade - JMU wins it all one year, fails to make the playoffs the next, breaks the top 10 the next. ASU goes from so-so to national champion - and it all happens in a matter of a few years. Folks, that's fun to watch. There's a new or unfamiliar face in the playoffs almost every year. Every postseason we get introduced to Tenn-Martin's and CCU's, and are fascinated by the ways they've put a successful season together.

FCS is just interesting. It generates good stories. BCS is like a Starbucks-sponsored contest between Wal-Mart and Microsoft. It's pure lowest-common denominator. If it weren't for the typical American sports fan's obsession with all things huge, BCS wouldn't have a chance against FCS in the court of public opinion.

As long as the BCS is a the corporate-sponsored "bigger-is-better" festival (occasionally featuring, I'm told, meaningful college football), I'm happy to see the Mountaineers staying put.

Well said.

BigApp
December 12th, 2006, 05:26 PM
I got this from a source that helps oversee what's best for the University.

That would encompass just about all alumni. We all are responsible for that. Nice job of narrowing that down.

We would lose too much $$$$$$!

Newsflash! We're already 'losing money' on this level. xcoffeex

We Don't Do It That Way At Appalachian, right?

youwouldno
December 12th, 2006, 05:29 PM
The idea that BS means a chance at more profits is mostly a mirage. Only the big conferences exist in that reality. Most SBC programs have small athletic budgets, smaller than various CS programs, and have to be careful not to lose too much money. Going to a meaningless bowl, which is what a 'winning' SBC program gets, usually entails major financial losses. I doubt App St lost money on last week's playoff game.

The best financial model is what UD, Montana, App St have going, which is to have lower costs (due to CS) but high attendance. Less risk than BS, which would offer relatively limited benefits at relatively high costs.

The quick and dirty test of whether a program could/should go BS is this-- do they draw 20K+/year in a losing season? And second, do they have a reasonable chance of overtaking lower-level BS programs in their region? GSU passes the second test, but failed the first miserably this year.

ASUMountaineer
December 12th, 2006, 06:58 PM
I remember when I started at Appalachian as a freshman in 1999 there was a billboard between Winston-Salem and Yadkinville on 421 from alumni asking for support to help Appalachian football move to I-A (I-A at the time). I remembered thinking how cool it would be to play UNC (born and raised Tarheel) at KBS. After going to games and learning more about the SoCon, the rivalries, I-AA football in general I began to realize what a good thing Appalachian had going. I was 18 and knew that we needed to stay right where we were. Forget playing bigger schools in the regular season...you think I'm going to be more excited about playing Rice or Memphis than Wofford or Chattanooga? No, I can assure you I won't. Appalachian needs to not fix what's not broken. The university is a gem and I'd be more excited about it becoming a research university with a nursing and law school than our football team going to BS.

james_lawfirm
December 12th, 2006, 07:14 PM
here's a really old article from our school newspaper the appalachian

from 10/9/2001

Lord, have mercy! For ASU to move to the BCS classification is the most bone-headed move ever. xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

I would much rather be a big fish in a small pond that a small fish in a big pond. We have just now achieved success (the '05 NC), let's not presume that we could successfully make the jump. Marshall is the ONLY school I know of even remotely successful. Others have even moved BACK DOWN after realizing their mistake (was it FAMU?).

The only way I would even remotely consider such a move is if it could somehow be guaranteed that ASU would attract 18k - 20k avg. attendance during a LOSING season. IF we could do this, we might attract twice that during a WINNING season in the BCS. The BIG problem I see with this is the lack of infrastructure in Boone & Watauga County. Parking would be a MESS & there is not even a four lone highway from one end of the county to the other. This is just not going to happen anytime soon.

I think this idea needs to be shot at our earliest convenience.

KiddBrewer
December 12th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Lord, have mercy! For ASU to move to the BCS classification is the most bone-headed move ever. xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

I would much rather be a big fish in a small pond that a small fish in a big pond. We have just now achieved success (the '05 NC), let's not presume that we could successfully make the jump. Marshall is the ONLY school I know of even remotely successful. Others have even moved BACK DOWN after realizing their mistake (was it FAMU?).

The only way I would even remotely consider such a move is if it could somehow be guaranteed that ASU would attract 18k - 20k avg. attendance during a LOSING season. IF we could do this, we might attract twice that during a WINNING season in the BCS. The BIG problem I see with this is the lack of infrastructure in Boone & Watauga County. Parking would be a MESS & there is not even a four lone highway from one end of the county to the other. This is just not going to happen anytime soon.

I think this idea needs to be shot at our earliest convenience.

good points. but its FBS, not BCS, unless we were plannin on joining one of the major conferences.

BrevardMountaineer03
December 12th, 2006, 07:25 PM
I love what the FCS offers, no qualms, the winner of the playoffs is the National Champ. Period! But I also enjoy playing BS teams, I think that App will stay in FCS and should, but they should also play BS teams, I believe that would be the win-win proposition.

james_lawfirm
December 12th, 2006, 07:29 PM
good points. but its FBS, not BCS, unless we were plannin on joining one of the major conferences.

Ok, sorry.

Borat
December 12th, 2006, 07:41 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showpost.php?p=379749&postcount=9

Newsflash! We're already 'losing money' on this level. xcoffeex

asufan87
December 12th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Things change and to say that App should NEVER move is very shortsighted. It's nice to be in a position to move if and when that time comes. Would our fans and administration still think FCS is the way to go if the number of scholarships are reduced at this level? Would they still feel the same way if our Socon peer institutions include Presbyterian, Gardner Webb, and Charleston Southern?

Having options is a good thing and we should always be working to keep ourselves in a position where we CONTROL our destiny rather than having it dictated to us. If the landscape changes, you better be prepared to adapt.

GGASU
December 12th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Marshall is the ONLY school I know of even remotely successful.

Boise State is looking pretty good only losing 7 games in the past 5 years (4 of the losses in one year):eek:

They moved up around the same time as Marshall.

HZWV
December 12th, 2006, 09:12 PM
I have just a couple questions to ask ASU fans:

1. You've already won a national Champ. maybe 2 after this year, What else do you have to prove at this level?

2. Someone said they would rather be a big fish in a small pond, rather then a small fish in a Big Pond, To grow you have to move somewhere else, does ASU not want to grow anymore?

Yes there are many schools that have tried IA and most fail, there have been success stories IE. Marshall, Boisie. If you never try anything new, you never learn.

It may take 7-10 yrs to get larger schools to come to your stadium but its worth it after you put your time in. Marshall has WVU, VA Tech, Miami coming in. We also have Cincy coming in. And working on Pitt another series with K-State a 3-3.

We just got the #13th and 32nd rated QBs in the nation to commit to us the #47th LB, the #21 OLB, the #9 Juco LB. And the 4th rated WR out of Hargrave. This is shaping up to be our best class ever.

JDC325
December 12th, 2006, 09:26 PM
Boise State is looking pretty good only losing 7 games in the past 5 years (4 of the losses in one year):eek:

They moved up around the same time as Marshall.

11 years from 1-AA to a BCS game not bad.

appstate1998
December 12th, 2006, 09:31 PM
I have just a couple questions to ask ASU fans:

1. You've already won a national Champ. maybe 2 after this year, What else do you have to prove at this level?

2. Someone said they would rather be a big fish in a small pond, rather then a small fish in a Big Pond, To grow you have to move somewhere else, does ASU not want to grow anymore?

Yes there are many schools that have tried IA and most fail, there have been success stories IE. Marshall, Boisie. If you never try anything new, you never learn.

It may take 7-10 yrs to get larger schools to come to your stadium but its worth it after you put your time in. Marshall has WVU, VA Tech, Miami coming in. We also have Cincy coming in. And working on Pitt another series with K-State a 3-3.

We just got the #13th and 32nd rated QBs in the nation to commit to us the #47th LB, the #21 OLB, the #9 Juco LB. And the 4th rated WR out of Hargrave. This is shaping up to be our best class ever.

have you been to Boone...this place is packed enough as it is, and they are developing this huge new complex for "inheritance millionaires" thats gonna bring 1000's more into the area. I for one would prefer it to stay the way it is....The stadium expansion project is gonna take years. I think this is a question they should bring up in about 10 years when maybe they have most of the construction done and 321 in better shape coming up the mountain than it is now.

BigApp
December 12th, 2006, 10:49 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showpost.php?p=379749&postcount=9
Gains

1. Southern $2,454,598
2. Florida A&M $1,984,291
3. Delaware $1,522,215
4. Appalachian State $1,330,929
5. Montana $1,113,944
6. South Carolina State $971,388
7. Tennessee State $947,337
8. Alabama A&M $772,637
9. The Citadel $596,198
10. Morgan State $452,744
Losses

1. UMass $2,929,393
2. Georgia Southern $2,021,346
3. Portland State $1,869,428
4. Southern Illinois $1,847,121
5. Murray State $1,614,045
6. Cal Poly-SLO $1,604,444
7. Towson $1,404,671
8. Texas State $1,344,927
9. Tennessee Tech $1,319,334
10. Eastern Washington $1,117,735

you really expect me to believe our football program made a $1.3 million dollar profit?? sorry, I never smoked crack

That may be a gross, but it definitely ain't a net

WUTNDITWAA
December 12th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Oh look! It's every other thread. :rolleyes:

ASU will do what's best for ASU when the time comes. BS/CS or PS.

spoogemcgee18
December 12th, 2006, 11:07 PM

There are plenty of teams that have won plenty more championships and remain in the FCS. Just because we have a few good years doesn't mean we should move up. Just 3 years ago we were 6-5 and not many people, especially students gave a **** about Appalachian Football.

asudelt0119
December 12th, 2006, 11:13 PM
that is one thing that kills me, the student body/locals in Boone who could care less about football. I mean lots of people in Boone would rather go hiking than watch football on a saturday (pretty un-American if ya ask me). I hope that as each year proves succesfull, our fanbase will keep increasing, and we can pack 26,000 in KBS every game!

Go Apps
December 13th, 2006, 07:55 AM
No - why would we want to ever move?

Borat
December 13th, 2006, 12:10 PM
I agree that the article does not distinguish whether or not this is gross or net, but it's more information than you've provided. What's your source that App is losing money?

Gains

1. Southern $2,454,598
3. Delaware $1,522,215
5. Montana $1,113,944
8. Alabama A&M $772,637
9. The Citadel $596,198
Losses

1. UMass $2,929,393
7. Towson $1,404,671

you really expect me to believe our football program made a $1.3 million dollar profit?? sorry, I never smoked crack

WUTNDITWAA
December 13th, 2006, 12:39 PM
I agree that the article does not distinguish whether or not this is gross or net, but it's more information than you've provided. What's your source that App is losing money?

Looking at your avatar, I believe I see both gross and net.:eyebrow:

ucdtim17
December 13th, 2006, 01:39 PM
There are plenty of teams that have won plenty more championships and remain in the FCS. Just because we have a few good years doesn't mean we should move up. Just 3 years ago we were 6-5 and not many people, especially students gave a **** about Appalachian Football.

Exactly. This is not Euro league soccer where you move up a division if you win the lower division. Winning 2 championships is not a reason to move up.

BigDukeDawg
December 13th, 2006, 02:05 PM

i know exactly what u mean, we had the same problem here, not much fan support, win a NC and everyone hops on the wagon, then the city of harrisonburg hates the school and most of the students because we're "taking over the town".. now people start to talk bout moving up a level, how bout we stay at CS but play Tech, UVA and teams like that? :nod:

proasu89
December 13th, 2006, 06:45 PM
i know exactly what u mean, we had the same problem here, not much fan support, win a NC and everyone hops on the wagon, then the city of harrisonburg hates the school and most of the students because we're "taking over the town".. now people start to talk bout moving up a level, how bout we stay at CS but play Tech, UVA and teams like that? :nod:
You can stay CS but you won't sniff the playoffs w/out winning your conference playing that kind of schedule.

BigDukeDawg
December 13th, 2006, 06:54 PM
we'd at least give UVGay a run for their money

SoCon48
December 13th, 2006, 08:50 PM

Well, one thing's for certain. It won't be between now an Friday night.xcoffeex

Borat
December 18th, 2006, 08:34 AM
http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1149192193414&path=!sports!collegeteampages!appalachian!&s=1037645509234

Using figures derived from federal education documents, The New York Times reported that ASU ranked third in net football income among I-AA schools during the 2005-06 academic year ($1.3 million).:bow:

Gains

1. Southern $2,454,598
3. Delaware $1,522,215
5. Montana $1,113,944
8. Alabama A&M $772,637
9. The Citadel $596,198
Losses

1. UMass $2,929,393
7. Towson $1,404,671

11Marines
December 15th, 2010, 11:31 AM
So, Marshall has been successful moving to I-A. When was the last time they won a National Championship? 1996 was the last time. I hardly see 14 years since a Championship a success. At least in FCS a playoff determines the Champion and not a computer!

11Marines
December 15th, 2010, 11:31 AM
I hear you woffordgrad94! Somebody with some sense!

WileECoyote06
December 15th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Devil's Advocate.

Marshall has played in 8 bowls in the thirteen years since they've moved to IA/FBS.
Marshall had 8 playoff appearances in the thirteen years before they moved to IA/FBS.

Waco Kid
December 15th, 2010, 12:52 PM
I never knew we had so many people that were experts in running a college athletic program. You have to be prepared for the 5+ years into the future not just next season.

To whoever said Marshall is the only team that has been successful I think you forgot about a few teams: Nevada, Central Florida, South Florida, UConn, Troy, and Boise have all been successful. Everyone of them has a conference championship in the last 3 years.

gophoenix
December 15th, 2010, 02:19 PM
I never knew we had so many people that were experts in running a college athletic program. You have to be prepared for the 5+ years into the future not just next season.

To whoever said Marshall is the only team that has been successful I think you forgot about a few teams: Nevada, Central Florida, South Florida, UConn, Troy, and Boise have all been successful. Everyone of them has a conference championship in the last 3 years.

South Florida doesn't count, they did their 2 year FCS and moved like most before them.

So the question is: how do you define success. Once that is defined, then an argument around success or not can be said.

And the next question is: If the above 6 are the definition of success; how many others are there that haven't met it?

WUTNDITWAA
December 15th, 2010, 03:45 PM
This thread is old enough to enter kindergarten next September.

jmufan
December 15th, 2010, 05:09 PM
I can certainly understand why most on this board would like to see their team stay in the FCS, but is it really the right move to not stir the pot?

Personally, and I only speak for myself, I wouldn't want my team to stay in the FCS forever if they are good and could make the move. Staying in a lower level to me is like saying there is no vision for that school or team.

Even the most well known teams in the FCS (Montana, ASU, JMU, Villanova) don't nearly get the level of coverage as some of those lesser FBS schools. No one really cares about FCS play except those who watch it all the time, heck even some of the fans of FCS don't support their team, when they are in the playoffs. The casual everyday fan only knows those teams in the FBS but could care less about ASU, JMU, etc...

I would rather JMU bring in teams like UVA and Marshall than to bring in the smaller FCS schools. Anyway, it would be really cool to see ASU, GSU, JMU, ODU, and several other top rated FCS schools get together in the same conference and move up. That would be a fun conference.

caribbeanhen
December 15th, 2010, 05:35 PM
if you cant beat Nova join em in FBS land.... might even get a re-match

Horseshoe App
December 15th, 2010, 06:05 PM
if you cant beat Nova join em in FBS land.... might even get a re-match

At least we don't have to have to worry about a rematch with Delaware:)

The Eagle's Cliff
December 15th, 2010, 08:09 PM
We all know how great FCS Football is and we love it. Unfortunately, College Football at the media level is all about the market size of the teams and how much potential television revenue they bring to a conference. I can see Villanova and UMass going the way of UConn, because Basketball is their money sport anyway.

I believe App St., Ga Southern, and similar schools need to look at East Carolina as a peer institution to immolate. Non-BCS FBS is not much different than the Top Tier of FCS in terms of attendance, donor support, and level of competition, but ESPN and the general public see UAB and Southern Miss as "Division I". The FCS sub-classification hurts our reputation in the "other" sports as well. When Ga Southern made the 64-team Baseball Tournament in 2009, I had to explain to people in Statesboro that we were in the same Division I as UGA and Ga Tech.

What we're really talking about is Brand recognition and value. As an avid supporter and generous donor to Ga Southern, I'm reluctantly FOR reclassification, because it's probably the only chance we have to expand our market share and increase financial support. The additional 22 football scholarships will help shore up our depth and improve our chances of punching a Big Boy in the mouth. I believe defeating a BCS school will do more for Ga Southern than our 6 flags have done. There are plenty of players in Georgia who are going to Sunbelt, MAC, and CUSA schools who would probably come to Ga Southern if we move "up".

With the expansion of the Big East and realignment of the other conferences to follow, the opportunity for conference affiliation WILL present itself and I believe the current administration at GSU is already preparing.

Reign of Terrier
December 15th, 2010, 08:38 PM
We all know how great FCS Football is and we love it. Unfortunately, College Football at the media level is all about the market size of the teams and how much potential television revenue they bring to a conference. I can see Villanova and UMass going the way of UConn, because Basketball is their money sport anyway.

I believe App St., Ga Southern, and similar schools need to look at East Carolina as a peer institution to immolate. Non-BCS FBS is not much different than the Top Tier of FCS in terms of attendance, donor support, and level of competition, but ESPN and the general public see UAB and Southern Miss as "Division I". The FCS sub-classification hurts our reputation in the "other" sports as well. When Ga Southern made the 64-team Baseball Tournament in 2009, I had to explain to people in Statesboro that we were in the same Division I as UGA and Ga Tech.

What we're really talking about is Brand recognition and value. As an avid supporter and generous donor to Ga Southern, I'm reluctantly FOR reclassification, because it's probably the only chance we have to expand our market share and increase financial support. The additional 22 football scholarships will help shore up our depth and improve our chances of punching a Big Boy in the mouth. I believe defeating a BCS school will do more for Ga Southern than our 6 flags have done. There are plenty of players in Georgia who are going to Sunbelt, MAC, and CUSA schools who would probably come to Ga Southern if we move "up".

With the expansion of the Big East and realignment of the other conferences to follow, the opportunity for conference affiliation WILL present itself and I believe the current administration at GSU is already preparing.
the 4th most amount of NFL players are from the state of Georgia

GSU EAGLES
December 15th, 2010, 08:45 PM
the 4th most amount of NFL players are from the state of Georgia

And there are only 2 FBS schools and 170 players from high school sign with FBS teams. UGA can only sign ~20 per year. Ga Tech can only sign ~20 per year and they must be able to make the grades in the business school as that is the "easiset" degree at Tech. So that leaves 130 players that have to go out of state. Ga Southern would be good fast if we were FBS.

AppMan
December 15th, 2010, 09:48 PM
We gotta go. Most of the stay put talk is centered almost exclusively on the playoffs. I do not see the logic in sacrificing the possibility of a far more attractive regular schedule for a few extra post season games. I like to win as much as anyone, but where is the thrill in winning games against teams you have a built in advantage over? Since 2005 ASU has a 92% winning percentage in the SoCon and 89% with all FCS teams. The thrill of winning is enhanced when there is possibility you might actually lose. There is no such apprehension with the vast majority of FCS games we play. I often wonder what would people think about ASU staying in the SoCon and FCS in general if there was no playoff?

GaSouthern
December 16th, 2010, 10:25 AM
We gotta go. Most of the stay put talk is centered almost exclusively on the playoffs. I do not see the logic in sacrificing the possibility of a far more attractive regular schedule for a few extra post season games. I like to win as much as anyone, but where is the thrill in winning games against teams you have a built in advantage over? Since 2005 ASU has a 92% winning percentage in the SoCon and 89% with all FCS teams. The thrill of winning is enhanced when there is possibility you might actually lose. There is no such apprehension with the vast majority of FCS games we play. I often wonder what would people think about ASU staying in the SoCon and FCS in general if there was no playoff?

No offense but you sound like a lot of GSU fans from 8 years ago, Winning like your team has is a blessing that is rarely appreciated like it should be, GSU fans learned a lesson the last 5 years about taking winning for granted.

ASU_Fanatic
December 16th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Maybe I shouldn't say anything at all because I know I don't have all the facts, but if I were the Mountaineers, I would not do it. You have built something very special in Boone. I would prefer winning championships to becoming an also-ran that might play in some crappy bowl game like the Motor City Bowl, New Orleans Bowl, or International Bowl every now and then. Winning is much more fun than the alternative.I would love having a new location for postseason play every year, what would be wrong with going to New Orleans, Detroit, or Toronto instead of playing in the same location every year? If we could turn ourselves into a perennial bowl contender I think a conference like the MAC would be great, I mean it's already a lopsided conference because it has 13 teams and one division has 6 teams and the other has 7, we could even that out. I would LOVE always being a bowl contender but never knowing what great city you'll be going to in the next year.

I really hope we do make a jump.

I mean you don't think our guys would be thrilled to hear they get to play in Hawaii one year than New Orleans the next instead of Frisco being the ultimate goal every year?

ThompsonThe
December 16th, 2010, 01:51 PM
The most important thing for a program is winning. Ask GSU. The problem for App St, and what will keep them in the FCS for a while, is that there is nowhere to go. The MAC would not consider App St for geographic and basketball reasons. C-USA wouldn't take a Sun Belt program so going SBC first doesn't help them. WKU was already a Sun Belt member for most sports and moved football to the Sun Belt because their basketball program gives them a decent long-run chance to be admitted to the MAC.

But App St doesn't have such a course available. And it's highly probably that ECU would try to block App St from moving to C-USA, assuming that conference wanted a SBC member, because it would represent a threat to them, given the saturation of programs in the state of NC. Another problem is that App St is a very bad geographic fit for the Sun Belt. The SBC wouldn't care, because it would entail a limited number of long trips per institution. But App St would face huge increases in travel costs while playing in a conference with no rivals and no media attention.

If App averaged 30K+ in football and substantially bolstered their athletic program across the board, moving up probably would be a tenable proposition, despite the risk. Of course, it would have to be without the coach that made App St what it is today, and anyone who thinks Moore isn't the reason for App St's success is brain-dead. It's easy to speculate on "moving up," but the actual scenarios involved are very complicated and fraught with peril. I also question, philosophically, a fan who prefers to be present-day Troy, rather than a Tressel-era Youngstown State. But that attitude is persistent. App St will hang around because they have no choice, not because they want to.

I pretty much agree. The larger question would be where to go, not if. Not making much money in FCS anyway. Could really pull some huge crowds with the mountain leaves and cool weather early up in Boone. Will be interesting.
Bunch of posters claiming to know this or that about our moving to FBS, do not sound as if they know anything.

GaSouthern
December 16th, 2010, 02:02 PM
This is not a joke, but after reading that long quote, is Moore rumored to be on the way out?

HenZoneNation
December 16th, 2010, 02:04 PM
I hope they stay...they are an awesome program and very proactive in marketing thier program. Love the uniform switches, the recruit websites, the rivals page, and the fan base. It would be a big, big loss for the FCS. Glad Montana stayed and hope Appy does the same.

Waco Kid
December 16th, 2010, 02:45 PM
South Florida doesn't count, they did their 2 year FCS and moved like most before them.

So the question is: how do you define success. Once that is defined, then an argument around success or not can be said.

And the next question is: If the above 6 are the definition of success; how many others are there that haven't met it?

Elon has never won a conference title, and has only made the playoffs 1 year since moving up. Do you think the move has been successful for Elon, or should they have stayed in D2?

appvette
December 16th, 2010, 03:57 PM
An assistant coach at ASU (not football) told me it's already a done deal that they are moving to CUSA. They already have an informal invitation from CUSA and are already working on reducing scholarships with other men's programs to satisfy Title IX (as opposed to adding female scholarships). The recent study is just a formality.

Not sure how reliable he is or how I feel about it. I've been on the fence the whole time until seeing more info.

ASU_Fanatic
December 16th, 2010, 06:52 PM
An assistant coach at ASU (not football) told me it's already a done deal that they are moving to CUSA. They already have an informal invitation from CUSA and are already working on reducing scholarships with other men's programs to satisfy Title IX (as opposed to adding female scholarships). The recent study is just a formality.

Not sure how reliable he is or how I feel about it. I've been on the fence the whole time until seeing more info.Are you serious????!!!! I'm like jumping out my seat after reading this, I mean an AC should know about as well as anyone. Wow this would be HUGE!!!!

AppChicago
December 16th, 2010, 07:27 PM

Not sure how reliable he is or how I feel about it. I've been on the fence the whole time until seeing more info.

Are you serious????!!!! I'm like jumping out my seat after reading this, I mean an AC should know about as well as anyone. Wow this would be HUGE!!!!

Let's not get too crazy based on fourteenth-hand hearsay. If this is the case, we'll know in due time.

tarmac
December 16th, 2010, 07:34 PM
http://highcountrypress.com/weekly/2010/12-16-10/asu-to-add-student.htm

DECEMBER 16, 2010 ISSUE
ASU To Add Student Seating in Kidd Brewer’s North Endzone

Story by Anna Oakes

On December 10, the ASU Board of Trustees approved a recommended increase of $70 to student athletic fees. The increase, which must be approved by the University of North Carolina system Board of Governors, would in part fund a $200,000 addition of student seating to Kidd Brewer Stadium.

Charlie Cobb, ASU Athletics director, said the additional seating would provide “temporary seating in the end zone to introduce the concept of additional seats.” The plan is subject to design changes and approvals, but ideally, it would include bleachers to be positioned in the north end zone and partially on the track, Cobb said, providing 1,500 additional seats.

The addition is to meet demand from students and will not supplant any current student seating in the stadium. The bleachers would be set up in late summer 2011.

The UNC Board of Governors will vote on tuition and fee proposals from UNC system campus in January and February.

In September 2009, ASU opened the seven-story, 120,000-square-foot Appalachian Athletics Center, wrapping up a three-year, $38 million project that increased seating capacity from 16,650 to 21,650 at Kidd Brewer Stadium.

The stadium expansion was part of a $50 million Facilities Enhancement Campaign that also includes new construction and improvements for the baseball stadium, softball stadium, tennis complex, field hockey stadium and Varsity Gym.

Kidd Brewer Stadium’s official seating capacity has changed four times since it opened as Conrad Stadium in 1962.

In 1962, the stadium officially opened with 10,000 seats on September 15, 1962, as Conrad Stadium, named for former ASU trustee and R.J. Reynolds executive William J. Conrad. In 1979, seating capacity was expanded to 18,000.

In 1995, the stadium, renamed in 1988 in honor of ASU head coach Kidd Brewer, decreased to 16,650 seats after an extensive renovation and restoration project on the original 10,000 seats.

In 2008, the addition of a new 4,400-seat upper deck on the east side boosted the official capacity to 20,150, and the completion of the Appalachian Athletics Center in 2009 upped capacity to 21,650.

ASU_Fanatic
December 16th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Nice, that puts us over 23,000. If we were to jump to the C-USA hopefully we would be at like 25,000 by the time we do.

tarmac
December 16th, 2010, 08:32 PM
I would take a CUSA offer in a heartbeat.

ASU_Fanatic
December 16th, 2010, 08:36 PM
I would take a CUSA offer in a heartbeat.
Same here renewing rivalries with Marshall and ECU would be great. Also we get a ton of more exposure and we would finally be in the NCAA game instead of having to make us!!!! lol

woffordgrad94
December 16th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Why is ASU so eager to move up to a place where they have NO SHOT at ANY titles...only a chance to play in some WhoCares.com Bowl?
PLEASE enlighten me!!!!

tarmac
December 16th, 2010, 08:58 PM
A lot of folks say it's about playing a tougher regular season schedule. By the way not every one is pro moving up.

ASU_Fanatic
December 16th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Why is ASU so eager to move up to a place where they have NO SHOT at ANY titles...only a chance to play in some WhoCares.com Bowl?
PLEASE enlighten me!!!!

Restore rivalries with Marshall and ECU. My ultimate dream would be for GSU to move up with us...and how do you know we would suck. We know nothing, we could tank or we could become the next Boise. It's like you're so sure that we would be absolutely pathetic at FBS. I mean we almsot beat ECU last year without AE and they won the C-USA last year. 5 more mins and we would of had them.

woffordgrad94
December 16th, 2010, 09:05 PM
I never said you would be pathetic...just that you would never win a national title at that level.

ThompsonThe
December 16th, 2010, 09:13 PM
You presume quite a bit.

woffordgrad94
December 16th, 2010, 09:15 PM
If you are referring to me, I only presume that you will never be in the game that Oregon and Auburn are currently in.

DaltonLegalEagle
December 16th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Devil's Advocate.

Marshall has played in 8 bowls in the thirteen years since they've moved to IA/FBS.
Marshall had 8 playoff appearances in the thirteen years before they moved to IA/FBS.

With 35 Bowls this year and only about 120 teams, it's ridiculous to me to use this statement anymore to describe a successful season being in the top 70 of 120 is not imo the definition of success. Being in a 16 or even 20 team playoff from about 120 teams is certainly more meaninful.

But, I concur with an earlier post from a fellow Ga. Southern Eagle, that only by moving up do we have an opportunity to land more of the Georgia high school talent, more media exposure and more money from corporate sponsors, fans and alumni. To illustrate, 90% of Georgia fans never spent a day inside a classroom, whereas 90% of Georgia Southern fans are alumni. I am sure that most FCS schools share the same comparables in their states. Unless and until FBS goes to a reasonable (I mean about a 16 team playoff and not a BCS bs version of a plus 1 or an 8 or less playoff where the power conferences control everything like they do today), it is hard to commit to becoming another Troy, MTSU, Central Florida, South Fla. (got lucky with the Big East), Fla. Int., Arkansas St., Marshall or Fla. Atlantic. With the exception of Marshall in the 90's, we beat all of these schools consistently during the 80's and 90's, so I am not concerned that we (or a team like App. State) would be competative at the FBS level, particularly with Sun Belt, Conf. USA, and Big East teams, but we still would not be anywhere close to a level playing field with the likes of the SEC or even the ACC. Unless and until the BCS is blown up, and the playoff system is implemented and TV money is shared more fairly, then this is all a pipe dream and being a big fish in a little pond (FCS) with a chance once a year to knock off Goliath (see Meechigan), or a little fish in a big pond with perhaps 2 or 3 chances a year to knock off Goliath, but with 3-5 times the costs to run the program and perhaps only a doubling in gifts to the program (unless we are Boise like successful and can sustain it), it seems to be tough to pull the trigger on it. Ask a lot of programs around like Troy, MTSU, and they will tell you that while they are proud to be at I-A or FBS, it has been a costly and burdensome move without the expected benefits.

Southern Miss (who has been at this level since the classification of I-AA began in the 70's) will also add that just because they were successful in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, upsetting Ala., Ga., Fla. State, and others during those years, (& Ole Miss and Miss. State still will not play them after losing in the early 70s), winning did not produce enough significant increases in revenue to sustain their success. Southern Miss. is an excellent case study for Ga. Southern. Both schools have a LOT in common in terms of school enrollment, location in their state, the local economy in their regions, and the level and % of those who give to the school.

It's a VERY difficult decision, and while I would personally like to move up, it is very risky and expensive. Going 2-10 or 3-9 and playing 8 or 9 games against the Middles and Arkansas States of the world does not excite me. I'd rather be playing the SoCon schedule with 1 FBS game a year. (There has been talk of the entire -- or most-- of the SoCon moving up together and keeping their conference affiliation.) That would be something worth looking into seriously imo.

Appfan_in_CAAland
December 16th, 2010, 10:08 PM
PLEASE enlighten me!!!!

ANY titles? I'd say App State could (not necessarily would) contend for a CUSA title within a few years, so your statement of "NO SHOT at ANY titles" is simply incorrect, though I understand your point. But honestly, I couldn't care less whether App wins a national title - I just want the ECU, Marshall, and Wake Forest rivalries back because I liked those alot more than our current schedule.

I doubt the WhoCares.com Bowl is the only Bowl App will have a chance to play, as the WhoCares.com Bowl is a figment of your imagination. The Liberty Bowl and Hawaii Bowls, however, might be a lot of fun. I've long ago grown tied of people making up stupid bowl names in an attempt to justify staying in FCS.

appvette
December 17th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Let's not get too crazy based on fourteenth-hand hearsay. If this is the case, we'll know in due time.

Agree... I've only met this guy a couple times so don't know how reliable it is. We all know people who lie for the fun of it so I'm trying not to get too excited.

He said the official announcement is coming in June. He also said that Georgia cancelled our upcoming game and I can't find any official announcement on that so he'll be more credible if that proves to be true.

Saint3333
December 17th, 2010, 08:23 AM
I see pros and cons to both the FCS and FBS, but I'm more concerned with the future of where the FCS is headed.

My biggest fear is if ASU stays they may be competing for national titles vs. a very watered down FCS. No Nova, no UMass, with likely 5-10 more to follow, would the championship be as meaningful? ASU a school of 17K and averaging 30K in attendance beating teams with enrollments of 4K and averaging 8K at football games just doesn't seem as "sporting".

henfan
December 17th, 2010, 08:43 AM
In fairness though, ASU didn't begin attracting crowds of 30K until the team started winning championships. What will happen to those crowds if the team has a string of modest seasons as an FBS? That's a fair question.

boonegoon
December 17th, 2010, 11:13 AM
In fairness though, ASU didn't begin attracting crowds of 30K until the team started winning championships. What will happen to those crowds if the team has a string of modest seasons as an FBS? That's a fair question.

That is fair. I don't know but as a comparison, East Carolina averaged 50000 this year. They were 6-6 and are going to a bowl. The home scheule included Tulsa, Memphis , Navy and NC State. Obviousy, Kidd Brewer can't hold that many but institution size and population area aren't that far apart.

boonegoon
December 17th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Also, the sibling rivalry with UNCC could have a lot to do with the possible move. I'm sure UNCC wants to fast track like South Florida did. This will really impact App's recruiting ability in the Charlotte area. Moving up now could postpone the inevitable.

Rekdiver
December 17th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Move it or Lose it............We have to do something........I'd prefer some schools in the FBS move down but I think the fact that none do shows the economics favor the FBS. We will have to pay our dues and it could be painful but we have to do it..........

mtbigdog
December 17th, 2010, 11:34 AM
I for one hope Ap does not make the move.The benefits do not outweigh the proud tradition of a successful program.They lose the hometown feeling that the locals help to build. Nothing worse than a commercialized football team. BCS for example,Toilet Bowl, no thanks. But thats just me. I for one am looking forward to another game with App State. Best game I went to was last year! ;)

Saint3333
December 17th, 2010, 02:04 PM

To be fiar, ASU went 6-5 in 2004 and changed ADs. In 2005, the tailgating atmosphere changed and communication improved down from the mountain and before the first national title they averaged 24K during the regular season.

You get an ECU or better for a home game and watch the season ticket sales sky rocket.

Blue Hen 53
December 17th, 2010, 03:14 PM
To be fiar, ASU went 6-5 in 2004 and changed ADs. In 2005, the tailgating atmosphere changed and communication improved down from the mountain and before the first national title they averaged 24K during the regular season.

You get an ECU or better for a home game and watch the season ticket sales sky rocket.

Agreed, FBS teams equal bigger crowds period.

49RFootballNow
December 17th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Also, the sibling rivalry with UNC Charlotte could have a lot to do with the possible move. I'm sure UNC Charlotte wants to fast track like South Florida did. This will really impact App's recruiting ability in the Charlotte area. Moving up now could postpone the inevitable.

See, you just said something that I've thought since I first heard about App's FBS study; I was just too polite to mention it.

We probably won't be pulling a South Florida but FBS is the long term goal of our program.