PDA

View Full Version : Does UMass have any realistic chance on Friday?

woffordgrad94
December 12th, 2006, 08:18 AM
Right now, Appalachian Sate seems to be firing on all cylinders. They are going to be very tough to beat, barring a bunch of stupid penalties, mistakes, or turnovers. If the Mountaineers play their game and avoid that stuff, they are going to roll. They are clearly the best team in 1-AA this year. I was surprised that UMass won in Montana. I kind of thought that if anyone could hang with App. State right now, it would be the Griz. But that didn't work out, so now I'm not sure if you really have the two best teams playing or not.

89Hen
December 12th, 2006, 08:24 AM
:eyebrow: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nono: :nono: :nonono2: :nonono2: :cool:

blukeys
December 12th, 2006, 08:25 AM
No they have none. You are 100% correct in Your appraisal. :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

lizrdgizrd
December 12th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Right now, Appalachian Sate seems to be firing on all cylinders. They are going to be very tough to beat, barring a bunch of stupid penalties, mistakes, or turnovers. If the Mountaineers play their game and avoid that stuff, they are going to roll. They are clearly the best team in 1-AA this year. I was surprised that UMass won in Montana. I kind of thought that if anyone could hang with App. State right now, it would be the Griz. But that didn't work out, so now I'm not sure if you really have the two best teams playing or not.
Did you not watch the same game the rest of us did Friday night? xidiotx

UMass owned the Griz. They've got a potent time-eating ground attack, they can pass efficiently if not spectacularly, and they have a solid defense. I'd say UMass has a better shot at winning against us than the Griz did only because UMass has a better offense. Against App, you need to score because we sure will and you have to answer to stay in the game.

MTGrizzFan
December 12th, 2006, 08:28 AM
yes.....

OL FU
December 12th, 2006, 08:30 AM
I am looking forward to it.

A SoCon and A-10 championship.

The way the world was meant to be:p :D :o

blukeys
December 12th, 2006, 08:31 AM
I am looking forward to it.

A SoCon and A-10 championship.

The way the world was meant to be:p :D :o

East Coast Bias all the WAY!!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

SoCon48
December 12th, 2006, 08:37 AM
It would be a major surprise to me if this game doesn't go down to the wire.

carney2
December 12th, 2006, 08:39 AM

Mr. Wofford, you have obviously not seen UMass play.

andy7171
December 12th, 2006, 08:40 AM
I don't understand. The "only team" that had a chance to beat ASU, got beat down at home. You would think the team that beat them would get some respect. Perhaps even have more of a chance to beat them.

Griswold
December 12th, 2006, 08:42 AM

"Does UMass have any realistic chance on Friday?"

In five words...

You Damn Right They Do!

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Lizzie_ASUband
December 12th, 2006, 08:44 AM
they definatly have a chance. this is the hardest game that we will have played all year. i still think that we will win a 2nd national championship but it's not going to come easily.

Cincy App
December 12th, 2006, 08:49 AM
UMass has no chance - to bring more fans to Chattanooga!

As for the football game, of course they do! The top two teams in FCS will battle it out on Friday night!

JDC325
December 12th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Any Given Saturday....I mean Friday..:thumbsup:

flexbone
December 12th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Should be a GREAT game. I'm looking forward to seeing it.
Advantage APP ST but UMass is GOOD.
Both have Good D's.
With poewrfull O's that are NOT similiar at all.
Fast break verse Half Court. Who will Win - I can't wait to find out!!!!!!!!!!!

mistersykes
December 12th, 2006, 10:02 AM
I too would be very suprised if the game is decided by more than two touchdowns like the last App games. App hasn't seen a defense quite like the one UMass has, and UMass hasn't seen an offense quite as high-powered as App's (to my knowledge). So something is going to have to give. App's fans might not hurt UMass very much, but they will make App feel more at home. UMass has more than a chance to win this game. That's why its the championship game (don't start mentioning Delaware/Colgate or you'll make me look bad!).:thumbsup:

th0m
December 12th, 2006, 10:06 AM
App's fans might not hurt UMass very much, but they will make App feel more at home.

Yeah I think it's safe to say that, in CS, if you can win with the WaGriz crowd, you can win with any crowd.

DrG
December 12th, 2006, 10:13 AM
Fast break verse Half Court.
That's a great description. It sums up the game in five words.

woffordgrad94
December 12th, 2006, 10:18 AM
I meant to post this earlier, but my internet went down as I was typing. Opinions are like buttholes...everybody has one. I think Appalachian State will take the title convincingly, and their is nothing anyone can say that will persuade me from that thought. If I'm wrong, I'll be man enough to admit it and I'll take any crap that's dished out. Hey, I've been wrong and eaten crow before. But my prediction is as follows:

Appalachian State 35, UMass 17

Oh, and for Blukey... I always have thought of sarcasm as something people resort to when they can't think of anything else to say.

But maybe I am just a tad biased. Being a Southern boy, I just gotta go against them Yankees. But I got no ill will towards you, so y'all have fun and enjoy the game.

ncguitarplyr
December 12th, 2006, 11:01 AM
i don't think that a crazy out there projection...id say its on the high end of the possibilities though...for me to bet on umass though the spread would have to be around 11....that being said umass definitly has a solid chance of winning

ChickenMan
December 12th, 2006, 11:58 AM
I meant to post this earlier, but my internet went down as I was typing. Opinions are like buttholes...everybody has one. I think Appalachian State will take the title convincingly, and their is nothing anyone can say that will persuade me from that thought. If I'm wrong, I'll be man enough to admit it and I'll take any crap that's dished out. Hey, I've been wrong and eaten crow before. But my prediction is as follows:

35 points is a little optimistic... considering the fact that the most points UMass has allowed all year has been 21. Pretty impressive when you consider that they played UNH twice and @ Navy and @ Montana.

UMass922
December 12th, 2006, 04:22 PM
People who didn't give the '98 UMass team a realistic chance against Georgia Southern can be forgiven. Those Minutemen were an 11th-seeded, three-loss team that had gone 2-9 the year before going up against a juggernaut, undefeated, traditional-powerhouse team that had steamrolled everyone in its path. Of course we all know what happened in that one, and even most UMass fans, myself included, were pretty darn surprised.

But if you have to ask if the '06 UMass team has a realistic chance against Appalachian State, then you just haven't been following what's been happening in CS football this year very closely--at least not what's been happening outside of Boone, NC, anyway.

By the way, we all understand that we're not going to change your mind. But you asked a question, so we're offering our answers. And my answer is:

Yes, UMass has a realistic chance on Friday.

Tribe4SF
December 12th, 2006, 05:18 PM

Oh, and for Blukey... I always have thought of sarcasm as something people resort to when they can't think of anything else to say.

But maybe I am just a tad biased. Being a Southern boy, I just gotta go against them Yankees. But I got no ill will towards you, so y'all have fun and enjoy the game.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

You enjoy the game too, Southern boy!:rotateh:

KAUMASS
December 12th, 2006, 05:37 PM

More than a few of our players are from the south, and by the way, UMass has been #1 in CS most of the year in power rankings. Appalachian has been ranked 4th and 5th most of the year. Montana and North Dakota State were ranked higher than App. State. There has not been any upsets in the power rankings by any lower ranked opponents in any of the CS playoffs this year. You will catch a lot of heat based upon your prediction..where did you come up with that number? Let me guess, you played NC State tough? NC State is ranked 80th in all of FBS and FCS out of approximately 220 teams or so. UMass is ranked 53, App State is 56. UMass lost to Navy by 1 point, with two touchdowns called back. Navy is ranked 42 in the poll. :bang: Rankings don't mean much, do they?xidiotx Appalachian has a great team and has a great chance at winning a 2cd NC, but let's be realistic, or please just go over to the smack section.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
December 12th, 2006, 05:53 PM
UMass 32
App St. 21

asudelt0119
December 12th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Being a realist, I feel that if the game were played 10 times, ASU/UMASS would split 5-5. The one thing that really worries me (as aforementioned) is that UMASS blitzes, and blitzes a lot. It scares me that Armanti will lose focus when he sees those red jerseys coming fast, and be forced into a mistake. However, if they blitz off the edge much, that will be perfect for our inside zone play, and UMASS may get blistered up the gut. This game is gonna be great! I dunno...that's just my view :eyebrow:

gamesaver22
December 12th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Apps D gave up 7 to Wofford who averages almost 1 point more per game that umASS

Sam Adams
December 12th, 2006, 06:38 PM
If you think UMass is no better than Wofford, then you have quite a surprise in store for you.

BrevardMountaineer03
December 12th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Okay, I still say Appalachian State wins, but I don't say it will be blowout. WoffordGrad, thanks for the support, I guess:confused:
UMass has a real chance, but if our Offense can start quickly, I think that will get UMass out of their running attack, we are going to have to put points up quickly and force them to throw. Our pressure will then win the game for us. If we don't start out hot, UMass has the potential to win.
Either way it will be a great game, and the winner will deserve the title NATIONAL CHAMPION!

Go App!

ChickenMan
December 12th, 2006, 07:08 PM
If you think UMass is no better than Wofford, then you have quite a surprise in store for you.

ASU pounded those mighty SoCon powers UTC... WCU and Elon too... apparently UMass has no chance... :p

Appdad
December 12th, 2006, 07:20 PM
ASU pounded those mighty SoCon powers UTC... WCU and Elon too... apparently UMass has no chance... :p

Yep, UMass loaded their schedule with Colgate, Stoney Brook, W&M

Of course UMass killed JMU

We're skerrrrrrrrrrred

Appstate03
December 12th, 2006, 07:30 PM
More than a few of our players are from the south, and by the way, UMass has been #1 in CS most of the year in power rankings. Appalachian has been ranked 4th and 5th most of the year. Montana and North Dakota State were ranked higher than App. State. There has not been any upsets in the power rankings by any lower ranked opponents in any of the CS playoffs this year. You will catch a lot of heat based upon your prediction..where did you come up with that number? Let me guess, you played NC State tough? NC State is ranked 80th in all of FBS and FCS out of approximately 220 teams or so. UMass is ranked 53, App State is 56. UMass lost to Navy by 1 point, with two touchdowns called back. Navy is ranked 42 in the poll. :bang: Rankings don't mean much, do they?xidiotx Appalachian has a great team and has a great chance at winning a 2cd NC, but let's be realistic, or please just go over to the smack section.

The person that started this thread is not an App fan. They are from Wofford. So don't putting words into our mouths. Most knowledgable App fans know this will be a tough game. We all think we're going to win, but by no means do we think this will be a walk in the park. UMass will be the toughest team we've played all year.

eaglesrthe1
December 12th, 2006, 07:54 PM
People who didn't give the '98 UMass team a realistic chance against Georgia Southern can be forgiven. Those Minutemen were an 11th-seeded, three-loss team that had gone 2-9 the year before going up against a juggernaut, undefeated, traditional-powerhouse team that had steamrolled everyone in its path. Of course we all know what happened in that one, and even most UMass fans, myself included, were pretty darn surprised.

But if you have to ask if the '06 UMass team has a realistic chance against Appalachian State, then you just haven't been following what's been happening in CS football this year very closely--at least not what's been happening outside of Boone, NC, anyway.By the way, we all understand that we're not going to change your mind. But you asked a question, so we're offering our answers. And my answer is:

Yes, UMass has a realistic chance on Friday.

From reading most predictions, you'd think that UMASS limped into the playoffs. I'd have to say that the confidence level of most ASU fans are similar to what the Griz people were demonstrating just a couple of years ago.

Mountaineer
December 12th, 2006, 08:02 PM
From reading most predictions, you'd think that UMASS limped into the playoffs. I'd have to say that the confidence level of most ASU fans are similar to what the Griz people were demonstrating just a couple of years ago.

Wrong, the delusional App fans who have shown up in the past few weeks and will surely disappear again regardless of the outcome, are acting cocky and smug. :thumbsup:

ngineer
December 12th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Absolutely. Ground control game and solid defense. May not be as flashy as ASU, but expect a very close game. Down to the wire and decided in the last minute.

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 12th, 2006, 09:39 PM
I heard UMASS had no chance and has decided not to show up....Michigan will be playing ASU in Michigan...........ASU still did not get enough tickets...but are still favorite to win by 2 TD's.......I just bet the mortgage.........

ronpayne
December 12th, 2006, 09:55 PM
I heard UMASS had no chance and has decided not to show up....Michigan will be playing ASU in Michigan...........ASU still did not get enough tickets...but are still favorite to win by 2 TD's.......I just bet the mortgage.........

Preach on brother - I think I about fell out of my seat laughing on that post. Go Apps! I'd like to pick App by 21, but thats the "I have my Madden 06 set on super easy and win by 200 approach" and my brain tells me that it will be a close game.

Again, yay for 2 of the best bands in the nation playing at a football game in December!

GaSouthern
December 13th, 2006, 12:02 AM
Last time Umass was expected to get waxed in the National Championship game vs. a SoCon team..... NEVERMIND! :(

Col Hogan
December 13th, 2006, 05:05 AM
I am glad to see some sanity has finally taken hold here. I expect UMass to win...I want UMass to win...I won't predict that UMass will win...because both teams are that good.

The folks who predict ASU will trounce UMass ( and vice versa) have not watched these teams in action. Could one of these teams take total control and whip the other badly...yes. I doubt it will happen. A close match with unrecoverable mistakes will be the difference.

Can't wait. I can't make it to Chatty, but will watch with fellow UMass alums in D.C. Can any ASU alums tell me where they are gathering in the DC area to watch the game?

bamamountaineer1013
December 13th, 2006, 05:25 AM
Appalachian has coasted relatively easily through the playoffs, that doesn't mean we had it easy, it just meant that app was far better than the teams that they played. The one thing that people are forgetting is that Umass has the same amount of big play ability that app does (not to mention the same sort of stifling defense).

I forsee one of two things happening in this game, 1) instead of a blowout we will see a shootout, Or (what I am hoping to see) A knock 'em down trench fight that is controlled mostly by the running games of each team.

I am looking forward to cheering on the Apps in a great football game Friday Night

UNH SUPERFAN
December 13th, 2006, 07:02 AM
Appalachian has coasted relatively easily through the playoffs, that doesn't mean we had it easy, it just meant that app was far better than the teams that they played. The one thing that people are forgetting is that Umass has the same amount of big play ability that app does (not to mention the same sort of stifling defense).

I forsee one of two things happening in this game, 1) instead of a blowout we will see a shootout, Or (what I am hoping to see) A knock 'em down trench fight that is controlled mostly by the running games of each team.

I am looking forward to cheering on the Apps in a great football game Friday Night
If ASU allows itself to get into trench warfare with UMASS they will lose.

DCFan
December 13th, 2006, 07:28 AM
Apps D gave up 7 to Wofford who averages almost 1 point more per game that umASS

This is the most Laughable comment I have yet to read on this board!

To compare Wofford to UMass straight-up is ridiculous. Let me quote you some factiods from Sagarin Ratings for games played through December 9, 2006:

Division 1 Rankings (1a and 1aa combined)
UMass #53
App State #56
Wofford #123!!

Overall strength of schedule:
UMass #144
App State #157
Wofford #161

If I were to take the Wofford/App State (App State won 14 to 7) as my ONLY example of App State's capabilities, I would assume that UMass would blow out App State. If App State could only score 14 points against a much lower ranked team, with a weaker schedule that allowed 19 points per game. I'd have to believe that App State would be hard pressed to get a single touch-down against a team with the caliber of defense that UMass puts up (12 points per game, much higher ranking and strength of schedule).

However, that's not my only example for App State. I can only assume from looking at App State's performance over the entire season that App State must have had an off night against Wofford.

DCFan
December 13th, 2006, 07:44 AM
By the way, App State fans should take a close look at those Sagarin Rankings. while it may be true that App State puts up more points per game than UMass, UMass allows fewer points per game than App State and UMass has a tougher schedule.

Also, because both App State and UMass are undefeated this year in 1aa, I put much more stock in points allowed than points scored. This is particularly true with a team such as UMass, which comes to the table with a balanced offense. The goal of the defense is to allow as few points as possible, period. The goal of the offense is to do what it takes to win! When a team is winning every game, they're typically executing strategies that go beyond scoring points (e.g. controlling the clock).

Either team could have a fantastic night with a lot of luck piled on and win by a large margin. However, that is doubtful. It's more likely that the team that wins will be the one that makes fewer mistakes (penalties and turn-overs). It will be very telling to see how App State's freshman quarterback reacts to the toughest defense he's seen this season (which means his life).

Go Apps
December 13th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Yes they do!!! UMass matches up well against App - App would be fortunate to win against this talented team -

Saint3333
December 13th, 2006, 07:58 AM

First UMass has an excellent chance with that D and RB.

However maybe the SoCon isn't that weak if part of your reasoning is it's a weak conference because ASU beat teams by 21+. They've done that to the 1-AA powers (playoffs team) as well.

YoUDeeMan
December 13th, 2006, 08:11 AM
I was surprised that UMass won in Montana. I kind of thought that if anyone could hang with App. State right now, it would be the Griz. But that didn't work out, so now I'm not sure if you really have the two best teams playing or not.

Since Bluekeys' sarcasm wasn't enough for you, I'll be more direct.

Regardless of the outcome of the App St-UMass game, the post above has to be one of the most mindless posts on AGS.

Did you even watch the UM2 game???? And you really think Montana was the better team? Even the Montana coach said that his team was dominated. :eek: Do a little reasearch and look it up in the Missoula paper.

Then again, what does the Montana coach know? He probably should have just had woffrodgrad94 - with his vast sum of football knowledge, do the post game interview. xlolx xlolx

Damn, I couldn't help myself. Sarcasm must be in the UD water.

ChickenMan
December 13th, 2006, 08:15 AM
I think this game is a tossup... but anyone who expects that ASU will be able to roll through the UMass defense obviously hasn't seeen UMass play. Their 'D' is large... physical and mobile. I saw UMass vs Navy and the Minutemen defended the Navy option very well... holding Navy... the nation's I-A leading rushing team 60 yrds under their season average. And that was when Navy's option was led by their top offensive threat... QB Brian Hampton... who later suffered a season ending injury.

ASU may well win the game... but their fans are in for a rude awkening if they think the UMass defense is anything like their previous playoff opponents... CCU... MSU and YSU.

blukeys
December 13th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Damn, I couldn't help myself. Sarcasm must be in the UD water.

Not in the water. Just another free service offered cheerfully and enthusiastically.;) ;)

UMass81
December 13th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Why not ask that question in Montana?

ASU Kep
December 13th, 2006, 08:40 AM
I think a *few* of our fans have gotten so accustomed to winning the past two seasons that they think we'd run wild over the NFC South. Most of our fans and certainly our football team has the utmost respect for UMASS. I've gone on record predicting an App victory, but it could go either way and I think it's going to be a nailbiter.

I like to think the crowd'll make the difference. :D

MR. CHICKEN
December 13th, 2006, 02:59 PM
I think a *few* of our fans have gotten so accustomed to winning the past two seasons that they think we'd run wild over the NFC South. Most of our fans and certainly our football team has the utmost respect for UMASS. I've gone on record predicting an App victory, but it could go either way and I think it's going to be a nailbiter.

I like to think the crowd'll make the difference. :D

DUH WASH/GRIZ......SCREAMERS......COULDN'T SCARE OFF DUH PILGRIMS.......AN' DAT STADIUM....IS AS CRAZY......AS I-AA.....OOOOPS!...FCS...GETS..............:nod:.... AWK!

Peems
December 13th, 2006, 03:02 PM
DUH WASH/GRIZ......SCREAMERS......COULDN'T SCARE OFF DUH PILGRIMS.......AN' DAT STADIUM....IS AS CRAZY......AS I-AA.....OOOOPS!...FCS...GETS..............:nod:.... AWK!

whats your prediction Mr. Chicken?

MR. CHICKEN
December 13th, 2006, 03:05 PM
CAN'T SAY WHO'LL "BLING OUT".......HOWEVERAH.......MAH HEART IS WHIFF....DUH PILGRIMS.............:nod:...BRAWK!

GRIZZWOLD.....NICE SHOWIN' IN LAST WEEKS SEMI.......WASH/GRIZ.....AMAZIN'..........ONE FANTASTIC GAME..:nod:..AWK!

Peems
December 13th, 2006, 04:57 PM
CAN'T SAY WHO'LL "BLING OUT".......HOWEVERAH.......MAH HEART IS WHIFF....DUH PILGRIMS.............:nod:...BRAWK!
GRIZZWOLD.....NICE SHOWIN' IN LAST WEEKS SEMI.......WASH/GRIZ.....AMAZIN'..........ONE FANTASTIC GAME..:nod:..AWK!

thanks for the love. and im with ya MAH HEART IS WHIFF DUH PILGRIMS!!!

Col Hogan
December 13th, 2006, 05:29 PM

I am startin' ta feel the love:nod:

MR. CHICKEN
December 13th, 2006, 09:05 PM
BRAWK!......xsmoochx

Go Apps
December 14th, 2006, 06:04 AM
Of course they can - UMass is solid!

Tribe4SF
December 14th, 2006, 07:17 AM
BRAWK!......xsmoochx

DOUBLE BRAWK!! xsmoochx xsmoochx

Go Minutemen!!!

Sam Adams
December 14th, 2006, 07:42 AM
We appreciate the good wishes of our A10 brothers. I like the fact that UMass is the underdog here. 2 good teams, anything can happen and I'm totally biased, but I'm seeing an overconfident App team getting a bit surprised by UMass and I like UMass to polish off a great season by upsetting the Apps in Nooga and once again bringing home the hardware by beating a favored SoCon opponent.

lizrdgizrd
December 14th, 2006, 07:51 AM
We appreciate the good wishes of our A10 brothers. I like the fact that UMass is the underdog here. 2 good teams, anything can happen and I'm totally biased, but I'm seeing an overconfident App team getting a bit surprised by UMass and I like UMass to polish off a great season by upsetting the Apps in Nooga and once again bringing home the hardware by beating a favored SoCon opponent.
Please don't make the mistake of thinking our TEAM is overconfident when some of our FANS are. This is a focused group of young men who will NOT take UMass lightly. You're right that these are 2 good teams and anything can happen. :thumbsup:

Griswold
December 14th, 2006, 08:04 AM

I didn't realize you've been around our team. Tell them to keep up the hard work for us App fan! :thumbsup:

appheel
December 14th, 2006, 08:11 AM
The App fans may be overconfident, but there's no way the team will be.

BillLuc1982
December 14th, 2006, 08:28 AM
Any given Friday, but I see the Apps rolling

Griswold
December 14th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Those ASU players have no reason to be over confident. This is for all the marbles. History! They can see that UMass is great team with their only loss coming at Navy by one point. This coaching staff has been to Washington-Grizzly Stadium in November and knows how difficult it is to win there. I guarantee you that there is tremendous respect for UMass in the ASU locker room. It's going to be a great game and App had better watch that screen pass Baylark!

GGASU
December 14th, 2006, 08:50 AM
On a neutral site I would call it a toss up, but it isn't going to be a neutral site.

UMass overcame a very hostile environment againist a very good Montana team last week.....Not this time.

Chattanooga will be almost as hostile againist a balanced team....

ASU 31
Umass 14

Leo-Pard
December 14th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Yeah, i mean, why even play the game. If UMASS doesn't even have a chance in hell, why cause them the embarrassment of getting out there on the field with a team that is vastly superior in every way, including their devilish good looks.
HAHAHAHA

UMASS 24-13

ChickenMan
December 14th, 2006, 10:16 AM
The more I read... the more I expect that ASU fans are going to be unpleasently surprised Friday night...

SoCon48
December 14th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Unless it is a romp, no one at App will be surprised. Everyone knows about UMass's talent and performance.
The first couple possessions will tell us a lot about UMass and the magnificent A-10 that we keep hearing about.
Either team that doesn't bring its A game is in for a heap of trouble.

GtFllsGriz
December 14th, 2006, 10:48 AM
ABSOLUTLY they have a chance. This is going to be a great match up. Clearly App State has a high powered offense and real good defense. The quick choice would be App State big.

However, UMass is a well disciplined solid machine. UMass will limit Appy's chances at the quick score and control the tempo of the game. Their defense is solid and will make it very difficult for the QB to run wild like he did last week.

Will UMass win, I have no idea. As I said this will be a blast to watch. Good luck to both teams but my heart has to be with UMass on this one. I would like to see UMass control the game and put pressure on Appy to score. If UMass wins by more than two points it must mean that the Griz were the second best team in the country, right????

FUmanchu
December 14th, 2006, 11:31 AM
UMass has a legitimate chance to win this game.

UMass is very good, well-coached, well-drilled, disciplined, and play very well on both sides of the ball.

App. St. is the best FCS team since Marshall had Randy Moss, is among the best-coached teams in the country, has D1-A speed on both sides of the ball, and fumbles too much.

Turnovers are the key to this game. UMass cannot beat ASU without them. No disrespect meant to UMass or its fans, but that's the truth. They are too fast.

YSU fans said ASU fans were overlooking them. ASU won by 25.

If ASU turns the ball over twice, it's a one score game with a coin flip as to who wins.

Final score: ASU 31
UMass 15

Maroon&White
December 14th, 2006, 11:35 AM
The more I read... the more I expect that ASU fans are going to be unpleasently surprised Friday night...

Have you made a prediction on the game? If so, what is it?

ChickenMan
December 14th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Have you made a prediction on the game? If so, what is it?

UMass 27
ASU 21

Appdad
December 14th, 2006, 12:15 PM

Not this fan!

I am proud of and for each player on both teams as well as those that made the playoffs.
Regardless the outcome pride for the accomplishments of these young men will be felt throughout C/F and the nation. Regardless the score every fan/parent will know each boy gave his all. Many careers will end Friday. Some will be momentarily recovering from a defeat and some will be momentarily celebrating a victory. All will proud of the memories made of a lifetime devoted to trying to be the best!

appisgreatest
December 14th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Friday night will be too close to predict for me. I discussed with some people coming to the game with me that I would be shocked if the outcome is more than 3 points either way.

appfan2008
December 14th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Of course UMass has a chance to win... but that doesnt mean they will!:xmas: I believe App will be able to move the ball on UMass something no one else has been able to do all year. Also our defense is better than people give it credit for. But I do think both offenses are tooooo good. Prediction...
ASU 31
UMass 24

ASU is gonna kick some UMass... sorry I had to do it even though I dont think that will happen

Daved
December 14th, 2006, 06:15 PM
UMass has a great chance to win-- remember back in '98 they were ranked #11 and upset powerful #1 Georgia Southern by 12 points

YoUDeeMan
December 14th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Not this fan!

I am proud of and for each player on both teams as well as those that made the playoffs.
Regardless the outcome pride for the accomplishments of these young men will be felt throughout C/F and the nation. Regardless the score every fan/parent will know each boy gave his all. Many careers will end Friday. Some will be momentarily recovering from a defeat and some will be momentarily celebrating a victory. All will proud of the memories made of a lifetime devoted to trying to be the best!

Somebody needs to queue up the old NFL film's music archieves and have the "voice of God" read that paragraph. :nod:

UNHcats
December 14th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Really dont think umass can score on appy's D......gotta give em credit for gettin passed us and montana though

dennisdent
December 14th, 2006, 08:34 PM
My first post:

I posted this on the UMass board and I thought it might be interesting for others to see how this year's UMass team is made-up.

No=No Yes=BS trans JC=JC trans

MASSACHUSETTS: Depth Chart

Offense

WR 81 Brandon London Sr. 6-4 210 No
15 Michael Omar Jr. 6-0 185 JC
LT 68 Matt Austin RJr. 6-5 285 No
66 Biff Gottehrer RSo. 6-3 315 No
72 Vladimir Ducasse Fr. 6-4 305 No
LG 60 Nick Diana Jr. 6-3 300 JC
75 Carlos Feliciano RFr. 6-3 295 Yes
C 62 Alex Miller RSr. 6-2 290 No
71 Chris Hopkins Jr. 6-3 288 No
RG 73 David Thompson RSr. 6-3 310 No
RT 71 Chris Hopkins Jr. 6-3 288 or No
63 Sean Calicchio RSo.6-5 310 No
TE 82 Brad Listorti RJr. 6-4 245 Yes
83 Ian Jorgensen RSo. 6-5 235 No
TB 5 Steve Baylark Sr. 6-0 225 No
19 Tim Washington GS. 5-11 210 Yes
17 Tony Nelson RFr. 5-10 210 No
FB 32 Matt Lawrence RJr. 6-1 198 Yes
44 E.J. Barthel RJr. 6-1 240 Yes
QB 12 Liam Coen RSo. 6-2 205 No
8 Scott Woodward RFr. 6-3 195 No
WR 3 Rasheed Rancher RJr. 6-5 197 No
1 J.J. Moore RJr. 6-0 201 No

Defense

DE 55 John Hatchell RSr. 6-2 270 No (Lehigh trans)
46 Michael Hanson RFr. 6-2 230 No
DT 56 Brandon Collier RFr. 6-1 260 No
79 Matt Stolte Jr. 6-5 268 No
NT 97 Jason Leonard RSr. 6-2 280 No
99 Wilner Alexis RSo. 6-3 255 No
DE 48 David Burris RJr. 6-0 242 No
54 Darnel DeLaire RSo. 6-2 238 No
SLB 43 Jason Hatchell RJr. 6-0 240 No
91 Andy Resende-Gomes RJr. 6-0 215 No
MLB11 Charles Walker RJr. 6-1 220 No
53 Cesar Rosario Jr. 6-2 220 No
WLB 2 Brad Anderson RSr. 6-0 230 Yes
45 George Byrd So. 6-1 230 No
CB 26 Tracy Belton Sr. 5-11 175 No
41 Domenique Milton RSr. 5-10 200 No
SS 7 James Ihedigbo RSr. 6-1 202 No
34 Brandon Freeman Jr. 6-2 190 No
FS 23 Brandon Smith Sr. 6-1 217 No
29 Demarcus Roberson Fr. 6-0 175 No
CB 16 Sean Smalls So. 6-1 190 No
4 Courtney Robinson So. 6-1 200 Yes

Special Teams
PK 42 Chris Koepplin Jr. 6-3 210 JC
31 Armando Cuko So. 5-11 180 No
P 13 Christian Koegel Sr. 6-0 185 No
18 Ryan Logan RSo. 6-2 217 No

I hope one of the top-notch ESPN researchers checks this out before the game Friday. Two starters on Offense and one on Defense.

dennisdent
December 14th, 2006, 08:35 PM
My first post:

I posted this on the UMass board and I thought it might be interesting for others to see how this year's UMass team is made-up.

No=No Yes=BS trans JC=JC trans

MASSACHUSETTS: Depth Chart

Offense

WR 81 Brandon London Sr. 6-4 210 No
15 Michael Omar Jr. 6-0 185 JC
LT 68 Matt Austin RJr. 6-5 285 No
72 Vladimir Ducasse Fr. 6-4 305 No
LG 60 Nick Diana Jr. 6-3 300 JC
75 Carlos Feliciano RFr. 6-3 295 Yes
C 62 Alex Miller RSr. 6-2 290 No
71 Chris Hopkins Jr. 6-3 288 No
RG 73 David Thompson RSr. 6-3 310 No
RT 71 Chris Hopkins Jr. 6-3 288 or No
63 Sean Calicchio RSo.6-5 310 No
TE 82 Brad Listorti RJr. 6-4 245 Yes
83 Ian Jorgensen RSo. 6-5 235 No
TB 5 Steve Baylark Sr. 6-0 225 No
19 Tim Washington GS. 5-11 210 Yes
17 Tony Nelson RFr. 5-10 210 No
FB 32 Matt Lawrence RJr. 6-1 198 Yes
44 E.J. Barthel RJr. 6-1 240 Yes
QB 12 Liam Coen RSo. 6-2 205 No
8 Scott Woodward RFr. 6-3 195 No
WR 3 Rasheed Rancher RJr. 6-5 197 No
1 J.J. Moore RJr. 6-0 201 No

Defense

DE 55 John Hatchell RSr. 6-2 270 No (Lehigh trans)
46 Michael Hanson RFr. 6-2 230 No
DT 56 Brandon Collier RFr. 6-1 260 No
79 Matt Stolte Jr. 6-5 268 No
NT 97 Jason Leonard RSr. 6-2 280 No
99 Wilner Alexis RSo. 6-3 255 No
DE 48 David Burris RJr. 6-0 242 No
54 Darnel DeLaire RSo. 6-2 238 No
SLB 43 Jason Hatchell RJr. 6-0 240 No
91 Andy Resende-Gomes RJr. 6-0 215 No
MLB11 Charles Walker RJr. 6-1 220 No
53 Cesar Rosario Jr. 6-2 220 No
WLB 2 Brad Anderson RSr. 6-0 230 Yes
45 George Byrd So. 6-1 230 No
CB 26 Tracy Belton Sr. 5-11 175 No
41 Domenique Milton RSr. 5-10 200 No
SS 7 James Ihedigbo RSr. 6-1 202 No
34 Brandon Freeman Jr. 6-2 190 No
FS 23 Brandon Smith Sr. 6-1 217 No
29 Demarcus Roberson Fr. 6-0 175 No
CB 16 Sean Smalls So. 6-1 190 No
4 Courtney Robinson So. 6-1 200 Yes

Special Teams
PK 42 Chris Koepplin Jr. 6-3 210 JC
31 Armando Cuko So. 5-11 180 No
P 13 Christian Koegel Sr. 6-0 185 No
18 Ryan Logan RSo. 6-2 217 No

I hope one of the top-notch ESPN researchers checks this out before the game Friday. Two starters on Offense and one on Defense.

Col Hogan
December 14th, 2006, 08:42 PM
I would think UMASS would have a chance seeing that they have 20 D1 transfers... which is a little rediculous... they dont trust their recruiting? The should be in the big east with their team...They are a joke, and just cop out of coaching...

What a pile of fecal matter xidiotx xidiotx So D1 players transfer...how many are starters? What was their impact? Our all-american center played all four years at UMass. Our top running back...4 years! Our QB and most starters are not D1 transfers. Please, don't be "rediculous" just because you got your:asswhip: twice this year.

Peems
December 14th, 2006, 08:44 PM
What a pile of fecal matter xidiotx xidiotx So D1 players transfer...how many are starters? What was their impact? Our all-american center played all four years at UMass. Our top running back...4 years! Our QB and most starters are not D1 transfers. Please, don't be "rediculous" just because you got your:asswhip: twice this year.

well put. the core of the UMass team is their high school recruits.

Sam Adams
December 14th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Most D1 transfers don't start for UMass. Think about that before you question commitment, coaching and recruiting.

YoUDeeMan
December 14th, 2006, 10:18 PM
I would think UMASS would have a chance seeing that they have 20 D1 transfers... which is a little rediculous... they dont trust their recruiting? The should be in the big east with their team...They are a joke, and just cop out of coaching...

:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

It takes a Bigtime64 person to cry. It takes a Biggertime64 person to laugh at that person.

xlolx xlolx xlolx

(sorry bandl) :smiley_wi

UMass922
December 14th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Most D1 transfers don't start for UMass.

And even if they did, it still wouldn't matter. Every FCS program is allowed to accept FBS transfers and use them on the field. No one has an unfair advantage over anyone else in this regard.

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 14th, 2006, 10:46 PM
Really dont think umass can score on appy's D......gotta give em credit for gettin passed us and montana though
.......blood..breath...or urine....................lay down the crack pot sir.........ASU is good........but they will not shut out UMASS......

GO UMASS.............UMASS by 4....you heard it here...

mistersykes
December 14th, 2006, 11:01 PM
I don't get why people think that App's defense is better than UMass'. I mean, our (App's) defense is pretty good, but nothing that can't be scored on a couple of times a game.:confused:

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 15th, 2006, 12:18 AM

I think that you & other posters are all seriously underestimating the dominance of the UMASS O Line and Baylark running between the tackles. I know that Montana and their fans certainly were guilty of that oversight.

ASU will chase down the outside running game and put pressure on Coen, but they will be challenged big-time with the inside running game. If UMASS defense can find a way to stop QB Edwards (scary good, by the way), they'll be able to control the ball and find a way to slow the game down.

Don't forget, Coen was the nation's leader in pass efficiency until he played a sub-par (for him) game vs the Griz. Watch out for the UMASS TE, as well. He is big, he can catch, and he can run -- and he & his backup are a real part of that O Line which takes a lot of pride in dishing out bruises.

It will be a better game than most are predicting.

ChickenMan
December 15th, 2006, 08:14 AM
I expect that the team that best stops the 'run' and avoids turnovers will win the game.

Griswold
December 15th, 2006, 08:38 AM
I expect that the team that best stops the 'run' and avoids turnovers will win the game.

I agree 100% with you ChickenMan. These two teams are so evenly matched and when you say run to me that also means the screen pass to Baylark!

Here's to what should be a great game! xprost2x

And here's to leaving work at noon to head to Chattanooga! xprost2x xprost2x

Happy Penguin
December 15th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Here's hoping we see a great game, right down to the wire.

I'll go with ASU. YSU thought they could power run on ASU as well. Unfortunately we couldn't : smh :

Don't go by the sizes on the roster....the ASU lines were every bit as big as ours were.

BALD EAGLE
December 15th, 2006, 08:45 AM
"People who didn't give the '98 UMass team a realistic chance against Georgia Southern can be forgiven. Those Minutemen were an 11th-seeded, three-loss team that had gone 2-9 the year before going up against a juggernaut, undefeated, traditional-powerhouse team that had steamrolled everyone in its path."

ASU will win unless they make 7 turn-overs or was it 8 turn-overs???

Good luck to ASU, I know they will represent the SoCon well.

JUST DON'T MAKE 7 TURN-OVERS.

GO MOUNTAINEERS!!!

Ga. Southern's playoff record - 38 & 10

UMass922
December 15th, 2006, 09:05 AM
ASU will win unless they make 7 turn-overs or was it 8 turn-overs???

Good luck to ASU, I know they will represent the SoCon well.

JUST DON'T MAKE 7 TURN-OVERS.

ASU doesn't need to commit a ton of turnovers to lose this game (nor does UMass, for that matter). In a way that's what I'm saying is the difference between the '98 and '06 games. Those who didn't give UMass a realistic chance in '98 can be forgiven, because no one could have predicted GSU would turn over the ball as many times as they did: minus the turnover factor, those were not evenly matched teams, at least not on paper, so a GSU blowout was a perfectly reasonable prediction.

However, this year's UMass and ASU teams are much more evenly matched than the '98 teams were. Anyone who thinks it will take an extraordinary number of ASU mistakes for the Mountaineers to lose this game is suffering from a severe case of ASU or SoCon homerism. UMass doesn't need a huge edge in turnover margin to have a realistic chance of winning this game.

Appstate29
December 15th, 2006, 09:13 AM
I have a sneaking suspicion that TVU is not going to broadcast the game, and that PISSES ME OFF!! I want to see ASU!

lizrdgizrd
December 15th, 2006, 09:41 AM
ASU doesn't need to commit a ton of turnovers to lose this game (nor does UMass, for that matter). In a way that's what I'm saying is the difference between the '98 and '06 games. Those who didn't give UMass a realistic chance in '98 can be forgiven, because no one could have predicted GSU would turn over the ball as many times as they did: minus the turnover factor, those were not evenly matched teams, at least not on paper, so a GSU blowout was a perfectly reasonable prediction.

However, this year's UMass and ASU teams are much more evenly matched than the '98 teams were. Anyone who thinks it will take an extraordinary number of ASU mistakes for the Mountaineers to lose this game is suffering from a severe case of ASU or SoCon homerism. UMass doesn't need a huge edge in turnover margin to have a realistic chance of winning this game.
I think we have a cushion of 2 turnovers that we can live with. I think anything more than that will seriously skew the odds in UMass' favor. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we're 14 pts better than you, I just think that our defense has the ability to negate the effects of up to 2 turnovers against just about anyone. Hopefully we'll not turn it over at all. :hurray:

napkinn
December 15th, 2006, 09:51 AM

I think it's safe to say that probably 95% of the UMass fans and players would also go against the Yankees. But it'd be those ones from New York. Those Jerks.

napkinn
December 15th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Absolutely. Ground control game and solid defense. May not be as flashy as ASU, but expect a very close game. Down to the wire and decided in the last minute.

UMass this year kinda reminds me of James Bond. They aren't really the best or the most "flashy", but they do what it takes to win, and if that means picking up the nearest lamp and beating the henchmen with it, so be it, as long as the outcome is the right one.

UMass922
December 15th, 2006, 10:05 AM
I think we have a cushion of 2 turnovers that we can live with. I think anything more than that will seriously skew the odds in UMass' favor. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we're 14 pts better than you, I just think that our defense has the ability to negate the effects of up to 2 turnovers against just about anyone. Hopefully we'll not turn it over at all. :hurray:

I can buy that. I think both teams have shown that they have the talent to negate their weaknesses to a certain extent. For ASU, that weakness is fumbling; for UMass, it's penalties. Both teams have won all season in spite of those problems. It will be interesting to see tonight if one of those teams finally has its weakness come back to bite it in the rear.

napkinn
December 15th, 2006, 10:07 AM

=Sore Loser...Twice.

Griswold
December 15th, 2006, 10:09 AM

Depends on where on the field those turnovers occur!

lizrdgizrd
December 15th, 2006, 10:11 AM
I can buy that. I think both teams have shown that they have the talent to negate their weaknesses to a certain extent. For ASU, that weakness is fumbling; for UMass, it's penalties. Both teams have won all season in spite of those problems. It will be interesting to see tonight if one of those teams finally has its weakness come back to bite it in the rear.
I'd love to see both teams play their best game all season! If we can hold on to the ball and you guys keep the mental errors out I think we'll have the most exciting football game of all year. :bow:

appfan2008
December 15th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Id say its game day!!!!!!!!!!