PDA

View Full Version : Jack Cosgrove out at UMaine

ccd494
November 24th, 2015, 08:25 AM
http://bangordailynews.com/2015/11/24/sports/umaine-football-coach-to-step-down-take-administrative-position/

He's moving upstairs to a senior role in athletic administration- he could always fundraise. I hope Maine goes for a young, ambitious guy looking for 3/4 seasons of success then a bigger job. Orono, Maine isn't a place to find lifers.

TypicalTribe
November 24th, 2015, 08:33 AM
Coach Cosgrove will be missed. As I listened to the CAA coaches calls over the years, he was an incredibly forthcoming, honest evaluator of his kids and himself. He sounded like a great coach to play for and learn from and he always represented the state and the university well. It's an incredibly tough place to have consistent success and he will be difficult to replace. I hope he left on his own terms.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 24th, 2015, 08:51 AM
I hope Maine football will be OK. Happy trails, Jack.

UNHWildcat18
November 24th, 2015, 08:59 AM
Hoping that Maine finds a great new coaching staff! Jack did quite the job over the last 23 years!

JMU_71
November 24th, 2015, 09:03 AM
That's tough. Jack always had tough-nosed teams up in the tundra that is Orono. I hope Maine stays competitive. The CAA is better when Maine is good.

Catsfan90
November 24th, 2015, 09:04 AM
One of the toughest coaches in the CAA. Always found a way to be successful in such a difficult situation.

mainejeff
November 24th, 2015, 09:11 AM
YES!!!!!!!!!!xthumbsupx

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 24th, 2015, 09:26 AM
YES!!!!!!!!!!xthumbsupx

Be careful what you wish for

jmufan999
November 24th, 2015, 09:31 AM

ding ding ding

Terry2889
November 24th, 2015, 09:42 AM
YES!!!!!!!!!!xthumbsupx
I dont understand this sentiment. Jack was classy and coached the game the right way. He also developed some extraordinary talent over the past two decades in the northern most outpost for Division 1 football. He made the playoffs five times I believe and won three CAA/A-10 championships despite the fact that he might have had the most difficult recruiting situation on the east coast. Good luck to him and good luck finding an equivalent.

Mattymc727
November 24th, 2015, 09:46 AM
Cosgrove built some pretty good Maine football teams over the last 10 years. Some really good playoff wins too. He lost a bit of steam the last 2 years so I see why the change was necessary.

STILL COULDNT HANDLE BIG BROTHER DOWN IN DURHAM THOUGH! (Except that 2010 game...)

Cosgrove was like the Rex Ryan to McDonnels Bill Belichick.

mainejeff
November 24th, 2015, 09:57 AM

Whatever.

xcoffeex

mainejeff
November 24th, 2015, 09:59 AM
I dont understand this sentiment. Jack was classy and coached the game the right way. He also developed some extraordinary talent over the past two decades in the northern most outpost for Division 1 football. He made the playoffs five times I believe and won three CAA/A-10 championships despite the fact that he might have had the most difficult recruiting situation on the east coast. Good luck to him and good luck finding an equivalent.

You'd understand the sentiment if you were a Maine football fan.

xcoffeex

- - - Updated - - -

I certainly can understand why fans of other CAA teams are sad to see him go.........xnodx;)

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 24th, 2015, 10:05 AM
Whatever.

xcoffeex

Don't get me wrong, I understand why the need for change is felt by UMaine fans.
I'm just saying some of Maine's issues don't go away with a coaching change.

grayghost06
November 24th, 2015, 10:13 AM
The CAA was unique in that they had five long tenured coaches up till 2013. Laycocke since 1980, Talley since 1985, Cosgrove since 1993, Matthews from 1999-2013 and McDonnell since 1999. That's a group that's had some very good teams. You just don't see coaches staying that long as the FCS level.

mainejeff
November 24th, 2015, 10:39 AM
Don't get me wrong, I understand why the need for change is felt by UMaine fans.
I'm just saying some of Maine's issues don't go away with a coaching change.

What "issues" would those be?.....the same ones that UNH has other than the fact that they have a terrific football coach?

I think that Maine has sent many more players to the NFL than UNH has.......but UNH has 12 straight playoff appearances. I'll take the latter.

xcoffeex

Catsfan90
November 24th, 2015, 10:42 AM
The CAA was unique in that they had five long tenured coaches up till 2013. Laycocke since 1980, Talley since 1985, Cosgrove since 1993, Matthews from 1999-2013 and McDonnell since 1999. That's a group that's had some very good teams. You just don't see coaches staying that long as the FCS level.
Or much of college football for that matter. It seems like the FBS coaches come and go at fast paces as well.

Franks Tanks
November 24th, 2015, 10:48 AM
Maine obviously has little local talent, but still a pretty cool place to go to school. Other than New England, I know Maine always recruited NJ and PA pretty hard. PL scholarships may make those areas harder to recruit from for some CAA schools.

ccd494
November 24th, 2015, 11:35 AM
The current situation for Maine football was unsustainable. Millions of dollars flushed down the toilet with mediocre results and few butts in the seats. Now Maine can figure out if that can be improved, or if that was the ceiling. And if that was the ceiling, cut the program.

mainejeff
November 24th, 2015, 11:51 AM
The current situation for Maine football was unsustainable. Millions of dollars flushed down the toilet with mediocre results and few butts in the seats. Now Maine can figure out if that can be improved, or if that was the ceiling. And if that was the ceiling, cut the program.

Agreed. This is their last chance to get the already crappy FCS model right. They've got their 2 FBS guarantees per season that the new coach will have to deal with but as we have seen......7-4 out of the CAA is an almost guaranteed NCAA playoff appearance so they have a 2 game cushion beyond the 2 FBS losses. Other than the obvious (ie. winning) they must hire someone that is engaging with recruits, donors and fans and gets people excited. They need someone that can make adequate in-game decisions and someone that values a high octane and exciting offense. Relatively inexpensive steps can be taken to improve the game day experience (example: adding another concession stand). They should give this another 5 seasons and if the program is in the same financial/losing situation by 2020....can it.

Stonewall D
November 24th, 2015, 12:36 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!xthumbsupx
Are you crazy? As a Richmond fan, I would love to have a coach stay in place for 20+ years. UR was a doormat and a coaching carousel. After we lost Mike London in 09, we had a revolving door with Latrell Scott, who was fired at the beginning of 2011 (I think). We then had Wayne Lineberg as the interim coach, when in 2012 UR went 0-8 in the CAA. At that point, we had 4 coaches in just about 3 years. It was crazy. Now we have Danny Rocco. UR faces the same issues- why would anyone want to come play football at UR, when they can play somewhere else? UR has a new 8,000 seat stadium that it can't seem to fill. Its students don't seem to care. Ten years ago, or so, UR was thinking about dropping football altogether or at least dropping scholarships and joining the Patriot League.

ccd494
November 24th, 2015, 12:48 PM
Are you crazy? As a Richmond fan, I would love to have a coach stay in place for 20+ years. UR was a doormat and a coaching carousel. After we lost Mike London in 09, we had a revolving door with Latrell Scott, who was fired at the beginning of 2011 (I think). We then had Wayne Lineberg as the interim coach, when in 2012 UR went 0-8 in the CAA. At that point, we had 4 coaches in just about 3 years. It was crazy. Now we have Danny Rocco. UR faces the same issues- why would anyone want to come play football at UR, when they can play somewhere else? UR has a new 8,000 seat stadium that it can't seem to fill. Its students don't seem to care. Ten years ago, or so, UR was thinking about dropping football altogether or at least dropping scholarships and joining the Patriot League.

Maine fans and students have proven they don't care about Maine football as currently constituted. Maine can't fill its 8,000ish seat stadium. Or even half of it. Either the program needs to be brought upwards to a new level that will invigorate fans, or it needs to be dropped. Cosgrove couldn't raise it above what he has accomplished.

Mattymc727
November 24th, 2015, 12:53 PM
Maine has the same issues UNH does. If UNH can figure out a way to build a niche college football market in NH, so can Maine. UNH started their run with a bit of luck utilizing the play of Santos and Ball with Chip Kelly. I agree, Maine should find a young and hungry coach willing to take chances and make a career, using it as a stepping stone.

I wonder if Ryan carty, UNH's offensive coordinator, and former UD QB has interest in the head coaching job. He is no Chip kelly, but has developed some exciting offenses over the last few years.

Terry2889
November 24th, 2015, 01:19 PM
Maine has the same issues UNH does. If UNH can figure out a way to build a niche college football market in NH, so can Maine. UNH started their run with a bit of luck utilizing the play of Santos and Ball with Chip Kelly. I agree, Maine should find a young and hungry coach willing to take chances and make a career, using it as a stepping stone.

I wonder if Ryan carty, UNH's offensive coordinator, and former UD QB has interest in the head coaching job. He is no Chip kelly, but has developed some exciting offenses over the last few years.

Tim Cramsey's looking for a job. Can you imagine hime betraying wildcat nation? At least he's used to the cold.

Pards Rule
November 24th, 2015, 03:41 PM
Tim Cramsey's looking for a job. Can you imagine hime betraying wildcat nation? At least he's used to the cold.

Hmmm, Fein back to Maine where he QBed in the 80s, and Cramsey with Lehigh Valley (LV) connections as new OC for the Pards?? Wow Cosgrove was hired Feb. 22 1993, days before the first World Trade Center attack on Feb. 26, 1993.

Stonewall D
November 24th, 2015, 03:52 PM
IMHO, Jim Reid, former Maine defensive back, former NFL coach (currently linebackers coach at Iowa) , would be an excellent fit with Maine. I still think Jim Reid was the best coach UR ever had.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Reid_%28American_football%29

mainejeff
November 24th, 2015, 05:15 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CUmYIswUEAEcU_x.jpg:medium

Lehigh Football Nation
November 24th, 2015, 05:47 PM
Maine had consistently good D. Maine has a young DC that recruits northern New Jersey. Hm.

Pards Rule
November 24th, 2015, 05:54 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CUmYIswUEAEcU_x.jpg:medium

Nice gesture!

tribe_pride
November 24th, 2015, 05:54 PM
IMHO, Jim Reid, former Maine defensive back, former NFL coach (currently linebackers coach at Iowa) , would be an excellent fit with Maine. I still think Jim Reid was the best coach UR ever had.

Except he made 310,000 last year and likely more this year so not going to happen

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 24th, 2015, 06:47 PM
Except he made 310,000 last year and likely more this year so not going to happen

Maybe he misses trees

Terry2889
November 24th, 2015, 06:59 PM

That guy was NUTS! In a good way!

ccd494
November 25th, 2015, 08:07 AM
Are any of the people you guys are mentioning willing to work for $125k?

Catsfan90
November 25th, 2015, 08:31 AM
I'm really good at Madden, I think I can handle this.

Mattymc727
November 25th, 2015, 09:40 AM

Ryan Carty certainly made less than that.

melloware13
November 25th, 2015, 10:34 AM
I'm willing to deal with the cold for $125k, and I don't lose on NCAAF video games :D. It would be interesting to do an analysis, but I'd wager that there are very few coaches remaining in D1 football that were hired to their job between 1990 and 2005.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 25th, 2015, 01:48 PM

One area where I think UNH has an advantage is number of alumni within one hour of campus. Also, more general population within one hour of campus. Same thing if you extend out to two hours. That makes it easier to fill the seats. Student enrollment is close enough to not be a factor.UNH Has been working hard to increase student attendance and that has paid off with the number who return once they've graduated.

No reason why Maine and Rhode Island can't be successful.

ngineer
November 26th, 2015, 11:30 PM
Not to hijack, but I think some Lafayette posters might take exception to that last statement!

Pards Rule
November 27th, 2015, 07:39 AM
I'm willing to deal with the cold for $125k, and I don't lose on NCAAF video games :D. It would be interesting to do an analysis, but I'd wager that there are very few coaches remaining in D1 football that were hired to their job between 1990 and 2005.

Lafayette Coach Frank Tavani hired late 1999 or early 2000. Still there.

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 27th, 2015, 09:58 AM
What "issues" would those be?.....the same ones that UNH has other than the fact that they have a terrific football coach?

I think that Maine has sent many more players to the NFL than UNH has.......but UNH has 12 straight playoff appearances. I'll take the latter.

xcoffeex

One major issue which cannot be ignored is the 4 hour ride up the interminable I-95. Don't underestimate that challenge in the eyes of an 18 year old. No other CAA school has to worry about that.

Furthermore, UMaine has no idea what class and leadership they are losing and what life AJC will be like. I just hope Coach Cos left on his own terms. Otherwise, shame on the entire school.

WrenFGun
November 27th, 2015, 10:12 AM
One major issue which cannot be ignored is the 4 hour ride up the interminable I-95. Don't underestimate that challenge in the eyes of an 18 year old. No other CAA school has to worry about that.

Furthermore, UMaine has no idea what class and leadership they are losing and what life AJC will be like. I just hope Coach Cos left on his own terms. Otherwise, shame on the entire school.

That ride is brutal; once you get past Portland it's like, ugh.

Cosgrove made an oddly fascinating end to his coaching campaign. Down 22-6 with five minutes to go on a 4th and 1 at midfield, he punted. I thought that was weird, but I figured he just wanted to trust his defense. But then he didn't call any timeouts when his defense was on the field. He didn't have a good shot to win, but that to me was a coach who'd given up on coaching for that team.

It might not be the best hire in the world, but Maine could use someone a little bit more exciting offensively. Even when they were good, it's always been dink and dunk and that doesn't gain much excitement for casual fans. UNH really doesn't do much creative anymore either but they look like visionairies compared to Maine's offense.

- - - Updated - - -

That ride is brutal; once you get past Portland it's like, ugh.

Cosgrove made an oddly fascinating end to his coaching campaign. Down 22-6 with five minutes to go on a 4th and 1 at midfield, he punted. I thought that was weird, but I figured he just wanted to trust his defense. But then he didn't call any timeouts when his defense was on the field. He didn't have a good shot to win, but that to me was a coach who'd given up on coaching for that team.

It might not be the best hire in the world, but Maine could use someone a little bit more exciting offensively. Even when they were good, it's always been dink and dunk and that doesn't gain much excitement for casual fans. UNH really doesn't do much creative anymore either but they look like visionairies compared to Maine's offense.