PDA

View Full Version : The Only Game That Matters Doesn’t Matter Much to Yale Any More

bulldog10jw
November 23rd, 2015, 12:52 PM
http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2015/11/23/the-only-game-that-matters-doesnt-matter-much-to-yale-anymore/

The Only Game That Matters still matters for Yalies as a halftime show, as a tailgating party, as a day for Handsome Dan to come out of his kennel, as the cause to remove the coonskin coat from the mothballs, and as an excuse for the student section to disrobe in the fourth quarter. As a game it matters not much. One group of students expressed this sentiment on Saturday in an Ivy League way by holding up a banner that read, “Whoever Wins, Our Lives Will All End Equally in Death.”

Ivytalk
November 23rd, 2015, 01:16 PM
A nice little piece of November neg-head reporting.xrolleyesx That's what happens when you leave football reporting to Breitbart.

Anyway, I thought Yale fixed up all those decrepit bleachers when it recently renovated the Bowl. Not enough in the Eli discretionary fund to fix them up?

veinup
November 23rd, 2015, 01:18 PM
http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2015/11/23/the-only-game-that-matters-doesnt-matter-much-to-yale-anymore/

The Only Game That Matters still matters for Yalies as a halftime show, as a tailgating party, as a day for Handsome Dan to come out of his kennel, as the cause to remove the coonskin coat from the mothballs, and as an excuse for the student section to disrobe in the fourth quarter. As a game it matters not much. One group of students expressed this sentiment on Saturday in an Ivy League way by holding up a banner that read, “Whoever Wins, Our Lives Will All End Equally in Death.”

that banner should be held up at every football game ever, i love it.

ST_Lawson
November 23rd, 2015, 01:22 PM

Next time Gameday goes to an FCS school, I want to see that sign in the crowd.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 23rd, 2015, 01:22 PM
I was going to read the article but when I saw the pop-up poll of the Republican presidential candidates I lost interest

bulldog10jw
November 23rd, 2015, 01:28 PM
Anyway, I thought Yale fixed up all those decrepit bleachers when it recently renovated the Bowl. Not enough in the Eli discretionary fund to fix them up?

I haven't been there since the "renovation", but from what I understand, they fixed the seats on the Yale side, but not the visitors side.

Obviously money is not an issue, but getting Levin to spend it on athletics was an impossible task, so much so that they sent Carm out to raise money for the renovating they did do. Maybe the new guy, Salovey, will spend some money on the Bowl. I know that Ingall's rink is getting some work.

The worst thing for sports at Yale in general, may have been winning the national championship in hockey. I can just hear Levin say, "we won a championship in hockey without spending a lot of money on facilities, we should be able to do that in all sports."

DFW HOYA
November 23rd, 2015, 01:30 PM

Losing nine straight times to Harvard will do that.

Ivytalk
November 23rd, 2015, 01:43 PM

I respectfully disagree. Football is supposed to be fun, not the plaything of self-centered young millennial Goths who seek "safe spaces" and have little knowledge of the history of The Game, the game, or much anything else beyond their short list of negotiated sexual conquests.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 23rd, 2015, 01:45 PM
I haven't been there since the "renovation", but from what I understand, they fixed the seats on the Yale side, but not the visitors side.

Obviously money is not an issue, but getting Levin to spend it on athletics was an impossible task, so much so that they sent Carm out to raise money for the renovating they did do. Maybe the new guy, Salovey will spend some money on the Bowl. I know that Ingall's rink is getting some work.

The worst thing for sports at Yale in general, may have been winning the national championship in hockey. I can just hear Levin say, "we won a championship in hockey without spending a lot of money on facilities, we should be able to do that in all sports."

See BU as to how this can be detrimental to a University.

bulldog10jw
November 23rd, 2015, 02:00 PM
I respectfully disagree. Football is supposed to be fun, not the plaything of self-centered young millennial Goths who seek "safe spaces" and have little knowledge of the history of The Game, the game, or much anything else beyond their short list of negotiated sexual conquests.

xthumbsupx

Southsider
November 23rd, 2015, 02:56 PM
I was going to read the article but when I saw the pop-up poll of the Republican presidential candidates I lost interest

Oh, but you would have read were it a Dem poll???

Cleets
November 23rd, 2015, 03:29 PM

There are not enough "eye-roll" emoji on planet earth for me to properly respond to this ^ above...
So I'll laugh instead

xlolx

KnightoftheRedFlash
November 23rd, 2015, 03:31 PM

If you are being serious, I completely agree. This fake despair needs to end.

If you are being sarcastic, well, I expected more out of a Harvard man.

bulldog10jw
November 23rd, 2015, 03:39 PM
Maybe We could break off $10-20 million from this for sports facilities upgrades. Creative bookkeeping 101

http://news.yale.edu/2015/05/11/150-million-gift-stephen-schwarzman-establish-first-its-kind-campus-center-yale-universit

Lehigh Football Nation
November 23rd, 2015, 04:04 PM
Oh, but you would have read were it a Dem poll???

Nah I'm just easily distracted xlolx

Ivytalk
November 23rd, 2015, 06:11 PM
If you are being serious, I completely agree. This fake despair needs to end.

If you are being sarcastic, well, I expected more out of a Harvard man.
I was being both, Knight of STFU. Take your pick!xdrunkyx:D

Ivytalk
November 23rd, 2015, 06:12 PM
There are not enough "eye-roll" emoji on planet earth for me to properly respond to this ^ above...
So I'll laugh instead

xlolx
Oh, blow me, Cheezits!:p

DFW HOYA
November 23rd, 2015, 06:16 PM

"Gentlemen, you are now going to play football against Harvard. Never again in your whole life will you do anything so important." - T.A.D. Jones, 1916

PantherRob82
November 23rd, 2015, 06:17 PM
I was being both, Knight of STFU. Take your pick!xdrunkyx:D

xoutofrepx

veinup
November 23rd, 2015, 06:57 PM

its a hilarious sign

Ivytalk
November 23rd, 2015, 07:49 PM
its a hilarious sign
No, it's not. It's morbid. And it's not even original: John Maynard Keynes said, "In the long run, we are all dead." Not too different from that sign.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 23rd, 2015, 10:48 PM
No, it's not. It's morbid. And it's not even original: John Maynard Keynes said, "In the long run, we are all dead." Not too different from that sign.

Pretty sure you're just pissed that Keynes decided to go to Cambridge. Was he skilled with the oar?

CitadelGrad
November 23rd, 2015, 11:02 PM

Who the hell writes your banners -- Jean Paul Sartre?

Ivytalk
November 24th, 2015, 06:09 AM
Who the hell writes your banners -- Jean Paul Sartre?
Sartre? Hey, wasn't he that Giants player who blew his fingers off with a firecracker?

Pard4Life
November 24th, 2015, 08:32 AM

I disagree... they are not Millenials. I classify them as 1981 - 1990/91... these kids are different.

ngineer
November 25th, 2015, 09:52 PM

hopefully

ngineer
November 25th, 2015, 09:54 PM

I was never too "keynes" on that...(;-)

Go Green
November 26th, 2015, 07:17 AM

That's pretty much what happened with respect to coaching.

Yale was all set to hire Don Brown after Tom Williams was fired with salary plus supplement from donors. Levin heard about the supplement and nixed it. Brown then said he didn't want to coach with just the salary.

Enter Tony Reno.

bulldog10jw
November 26th, 2015, 09:30 PM
Enter Tony Reno.

I'm not sure that's a bad thing. I'll give Reno another few (3) years before making a judgement.

Go Green
November 27th, 2015, 06:27 AM
I'm not sure that's a bad thing. I'll give Reno another few (3) years before making a judgement.

You're a patient guy. He just finished his fourth season. While he has done very, very well OOC, he's 0-8 against Harvard and Dartmouth. And he has at least one loss to every other Ivy team (given how bad Columbia has been in that period, that's saying something).

And Dartmouth fans are still sore over this: http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/10/dartmouth_uses_water_bottle_as.html

bulldog10jw
November 27th, 2015, 08:58 AM
You're a patient guy. He just finished his fourth season. While he has done very, very well OOC, he's 0-8 against Harvard and Dartmouth. And he has at least one loss to every other Ivy team (given how bad Columbia has been in that period, that's saying something).

And Dartmouth fans are still sore over this: http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/10/dartmouth_uses_water_bottle_as.html

It took Murphy a while to turn Harvard around and Buddy has had his problems, including a winless season. I'm not sure Buddy even has a winning overall record at Dartmouth. If I remember correctly, you were pretty patient.

And I hardly rate a Yale coach by how Dartmouth feels.

By the way, how is Buddy doing against Harvard?

LUHawker
November 27th, 2015, 11:22 AM

And there it is....

I always knew you leaned left as you've peppered your blog with subtle political inclinations over the years, but now we have the full confirmation.

Just like a celebrity who loses credibility by wading into the political realm, so too have you Chuck. Please stick to football only, where you have knowledge, historical reference and expertise and avoid the political sphere. If we want political engagement, we can find that in more appropriate areas.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 27th, 2015, 08:09 PM
And there it is....

I always knew you leaned left as you've peppered your blog with subtle political inclinations over the years, but now we have the full confirmation.

Just like a celebrity who loses credibility by wading into the political realm, so too have you Chuck. Please stick to football only, where you have knowledge, historical reference and expertise and avoid the political sphere. If we want political engagement, we can find that in more appropriate areas.

xlolx It could have been a popup of a bunch of cats and I would have been distracted

Go Green
November 28th, 2015, 07:03 AM
It took Murphy a while to turn Harvard around and Buddy has had his problems, including a winless season. I'm not sure Buddy even has a winning overall record at Dartmouth. If I remember correctly, you were pretty patient.

And I hardly rate a Yale coach by how Dartmouth feels.

By the way, how is Buddy doing against Harvard?

It wasn't so much patience more so than Buddy picking the absolute right time to have a stinker of a season. Both the AD and the president were retiring and the feeling was that we should have permanent people there to make a football coaching hiring decision. And even if we weren't in a period of transition, the economy tanked that year, and the college couldn't justify laying off workers while firing a football coach with years left on his contract.

In any event, Dartmouth coaches don't get fired for losing to Harvard. Yale coaches do. Just ask Jack Sidlecki....

bulldog10jw
November 28th, 2015, 08:42 AM
It wasn't so much patience more so than Buddy picking the absolute right time to have a stinker of a season. Both the AD and the president were retiring and the feeling was that we should have permanent people there to make a football coaching hiring decision. And even if we weren't in a period of transition, the economy tanked that year, and the college couldn't justify laying off workers while firing a football coach with years left on his contract.

In any event, Dartmouth coaches don't get fired for losing to Harvard. Yale coaches do. Just ask Jack Sidlecki....

You could say Jack was fired for losing to Harvard, but it was more of an overall pattern and the way he lost to Harvard with an undefeated team in 2007. After all, he was fired only two years after a win over Harvard in 2006.

Jack's problem was the many losses to teams other than Harvard, games when Yale gave up big halftime leads. Princeton in 2006 was the biggest, but there were many, many, others and he got a reputation as a coach whose teams lost big games even when they had better talent. People close to the situation said he was losing the players. It was time for Jack to go.

Because of the strength of the program Murphy has built at Harvard, Yale will be patient with Reno and give him plenty of time to succeed or fail. We will see how he does, but he could lose to Harvard another 5 years before it "could" affect his job. Like I said, we'll see.

Just curious. If Harvard is not Dartmouth's most important game, who is?

Sader87
November 28th, 2015, 10:37 AM
Harvard has to be Dartmouth's most important game in 2015/present day I would think, though I don't want to be presumptious.

Historically, I believe both Princeton and Yale were the Indians biggest rivals bside Harvard, post 1956 anyway.

Holy Cross would have to be Dartmouth's biggest OOC rival in my opinion. UNH could be but they don't play as often and the "rivalry" haas been dominated by UNH since the 1980s.

Go Green
November 28th, 2015, 02:43 PM

Lately, it's been Harvard because they have been in our chief competition for the title.

Longer term, it's been Princeton. Even when we don't win the title, it's always great celebrating retention of the Sawhorse Dollar and Governor's Cup.

https://twitter.com/dartmouthsports/status/536339620427206657

http://www.dartmouthsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=11600&ATCLID=205747578

Six years and counting. :)

Ivytalk
November 28th, 2015, 05:47 PM
Lately, it's been Harvard because they have been in our chief competition for the title.

Longer term, it's been Princeton. Even when we don't win the title, it's always great celebrating retention of the Sawhorse Dollar and Governor's Cup.

https://twitter.com/dartmouthsports/status/536339620427206657

http://www.dartmouthsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=11600&ATCLID=205747578

Six years and counting. :)
12 years and counting!xnodx

Go Green
November 29th, 2015, 09:29 AM
12 years and counting!xnodx

True, although Dartmouth didn't get back on its feet until 2010. Prior to that, you might as well have been crowing about your streak against Columbia.

Go Green
November 29th, 2015, 11:57 AM
Should also mention that the non-competitiveness of the H-Y game is a good thing for Ivy fans who want us to participate in the post-season.

The sanctity of The Game is usually the cited reason for the Ivy's nonparticipation in the FCS playoffs. If Harvard ever gets tired of kicking Yale's fanny (maybe 20 in a row will do it), then Harvard may consider new challenges to finish the season.

And whatever Harvard wants usually goes in the Ivy League.

Mr. C
November 29th, 2015, 01:37 PM
You could say Jack was fired for losing to Harvard, but it was more of an overall pattern and the way he lost to Harvard with an undefeated team in 2007. After all, he was fired only two years after a win over Harvard in 2006.

Jack's problem was the many losses to teams other than Harvard, games when Yale gave up big halftime leads. Princeton in 2006 was the biggest, but there were many, many, others and he got a reputation as a coach whose teams lost big games even when they had better talent. People close to the situation said he was losing the players. It was time for Jack to go.

Because of the strength of the program Murphy has built at Harvard, Yale will be patient with Reno and give him plenty of time to succeed or fail. We will see how he does, but he could lose to Harvard another 5 years before it "could" affect his job. Like I said, we'll see.

When I was covering and writing about Jack's firing, the head-to-head with Harvard was the thing most people cited. Jack was also a class act. Then Yale reacted by hiring Tom Williams, who was 180 degrees in the opposite direction. One of the most arrogant coaches I've ever dealt with. I still remember his condescending attitude towards me the first time we met. Funny, but the other coach like Williams I remember with that kind of attitude was Brian (the name that shall not be mentioned at Georgia Southern) VanGorder. Ironically, Williams and VanGorder came from the same NFL staff with the Jacksonville Jaguars, if memory serves me. Other Ivy League coaches at the time used to make fun of Williams' aptitude and arrogance to me and others and the Southern Conference coaches did the same with VanGorder. And then to think that the Williams era ended with his false resume. I have to think Yale would have been miles ahead retaining Jack.

bulldog10jw
November 29th, 2015, 02:37 PM
Should also mention that the non-competitiveness of the H-Y game is a good thing for Ivy fans who want us to participate in the post-season.

The sanctity of The Game is usually the cited reason for the Ivy's nonparticipation in the FCS playoffs. If Harvard ever gets tired of kicking Yale's fanny (maybe 20 in a row will do it), then Harvard may consider new challenges to finish the season.

And whatever Harvard wants usually goes in the Ivy League.

The Y-H game is almost always competitive when played in Boston for some reason.

If Harvard does want a challenge to end the season maybe Dartmouth should be the season ending game. Then again, maybe not. When Yale is about to lose their 20th in a row, Dartmouth will be on #23

bulldog10jw
November 29th, 2015, 02:50 PM
I have to think Yale would have been miles ahead retaining Jack.

Maybe. But Jack was the coach who started losing most of the recruiting battles to Harvard. And if anyone thinks he wasn't losing those battles, then they would have to admit that he was a mediocre, at best, game day coach.

Ivytalk
November 29th, 2015, 05:34 PM
True, although Dartmouth didn't get back on its feet until 2010. Prior to that, you might as well have been crowing about your streak against Columbia.
Unless I'm trolling you, I don 't "crow about streaks."xpeacex

You're talking to a guy whose team managed to lose 11 in a row to Cornell from 1986 to 1996.xrolleyesx

Go Green
November 29th, 2015, 06:41 PM
When Yale is about to lose their 20th in a row, Dartmouth will be on #23

And Dartmouth will be working on win #15 against Yale.

:)

Go Green
November 29th, 2015, 06:42 PM
One of the most arrogant coaches I've ever dealt with. I still remember his condescending attitude towards me the first time we met.. . . . Other Ivy League coaches at the time used to make fun of Williams' aptitude and arrogance to me and others .

I have never met Williams, but I have heard similar sentiments expressed about him.

bulldog10jw
November 29th, 2015, 06:49 PM
And Dartmouth will be working on win #15 against Yale.

There is a history of streaks in the series, so you could be right. xpeacex

bulldog10jw
November 29th, 2015, 06:52 PM
I have never met Williams, but I have heard similar sentiments expressed about him.

Wasn't he 3-0 against Dartmouth? Maybe he WAS better than Reno.

Go Green
November 29th, 2015, 06:56 PM
Wasn't he 3-0 against Dartmouth? Maybe he WAS better than Reno.

The gripes I heard about him were based on his personality. Dartmouth people didn't knock his coaching.

bulldog10jw
November 29th, 2015, 07:11 PM
The gripes I heard about him were based on his personality. Dartmouth people didn't knock his coaching.

I actually think, if it wasn't for 4th and 22 in 2009 and if Yale had won against Harvard in 2010, two games in the streak when it could be said that Yale outplayed Harvard, Williams would still be coach. The resume scandal would have been ignored. Once 4th and 22 happened, Yale was looking for a way out. I think certain people knew about the resume enhancement and kept it in reserve if needed. My very own conspiracy theory, but one that makes sense based on my little bit of knowledge of how things work at Yale..

bonarae
November 29th, 2015, 11:49 PM
Meanwhile... for a fresh take on the topic...

If the Bowl Selection committee (of any given year) would allow the Ivy champion to participate in any FBS bowl in place of a sub-.500 P5/G5, do you think the Presidents will allow this move? Or it's still wishful thinking on our part? xchinscratchx

Go Green
November 30th, 2015, 05:21 AM

If the Bowl Selection committee (of any given year) would allow the Ivy champion to participate in any FBS bowl in place of a sub-.500 P5/G5, do you think HARVARD will allow this move? Or it's still wishful thinking on our part? xchinscratchx

Fixed that for you.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 30th, 2015, 06:19 AM
xlolx It could have been a popup of a bunch of cats and I would have been distracted

Chuck calls Republican candidates a bunch of pu$$ies? xeyebrowx

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 30th, 2015, 06:27 AM

If the Bowl Selection committee (of any given year) would allow the Ivy champion to participate in any FBS bowl in place of a sub-.500 P5/G5, do you think the Presidents will allow this move? Or it's still wishful thinking on our part? xchinscratchx

The presidents may allow them, but the Bowl Selection Committee would be highly unlikely to ever select the Ivy Champion. Thus, there is no reason for any of the presidents to support this. Even if they did, it's not like you are getting the Rose Bowl or some other major bowl of nostalgia. Nice thought though. You'll always have that 1920 7-6 win over Oregon in the Rose Bowl to hang your hat on.

Son of Eli
November 30th, 2015, 08:35 AM
Maybe. But Jack was the coach who started losing most of the recruiting battles to Harvard. And if anyone thinks he wasn't losing those battles, then they would have to admit that he was a mediocre, at best, game day coach.

Yes, he was loosing the recruiting battles, but whose fault was that? I say it was the admissions office who was slow to utilize the endowment to maximize financial aid scholarships as a tool for recruiting. Harvard beat Yale to the punch there. It wasn't Sidliecki's fault.

Son of Eli
November 30th, 2015, 08:48 AM

You left out the back story on this. Someone challenged Tyler Varga's (Yale's star running back) eligibility on a Friday before the game, which left no time for the NCAA to rule on it until Monday. Therefore, Tyler Varga had to sit out that game. Reno suspected that person who asked for the NCAA ruling was Buddy Teevens. That's why he wouldn't lend Dartmouth the kicking tee. Don't think we know for sure to this day if it was Teevens.

Go Green
December 1st, 2015, 07:31 PM
You left out the back story on this. Someone challenged Tyler Varga's (Yale's star running back) eligibility on a Friday before the game, which left no time for the NCAA to rule on it until Monday. Therefore, Tyler Varga had to sit out that game. Reno suspected that person who asked for the NCAA ruling was Buddy Teevens. That's why he wouldn't lend Dartmouth the kicking tee. Don't think we know for sure to this day if it was Teevens.

The Ivy League issued a statement specifically disclaiming that Teevens was the snitch.

<<"It has come to my attention that a rumor has started and is spreading regarding the source of the information questioning the status of Tyler Varga," said Harris. "While we do not reveal sources of such information, I have decided in this case to issue this email to clarify definitively that Dartmouth, and [Dartmouth head coach Buddy Teevens] specifically, were not the source of this information. Both schools may use my statement to quell the rumors.">>

You want my guess? It was Harvard's Coach Murphy.

1) I'm sure he knew about Varga's eligibility issues as well as anyone.

2) He was probably sore that an assistant (Reno) left to take the Yale head job.

3) Would be too obvious if he asked the league to investigate Varga the week of the H-Y game.

4) He and Teevens are good friends. So why not do Teevens a favor and ask to investigate before he Dartmouth game?

All this is total speculation on my part. But it makes sense.

Ivytalk
December 1st, 2015, 07:50 PM
The Ivy League issued a statement specifically disclaiming that Teevens was the snitch.

<<"It has come to my attention that a rumor has started and is spreading regarding the source of the information questioning the status of Tyler Varga," said Harris. "While we do not reveal sources of such information, I have decided in this case to issue this email to clarify definitively that Dartmouth, and [Dartmouth head coach Buddy Teevens] specifically, were not the source of this information. Both schools may use my statement to quell the rumors.">>

2) He was probably sore that an assistant (Reno) left to take the Yale head job.

3) Would be too obvious if he asked the league to investigate Varga the week of the H-Y game.

4) He and Teevens are good friends. So why not do Teevens a favor and ask to investigate before he Dartmouth game?

I don't know if you look at CS.com, but there's a conspiracy theorist over there called expandspanos who would be proud of you right now.

Son of Eli
December 1st, 2015, 08:33 PM

Thanks Go Green for elaborating. I wasn't aware of the statement from Robin Harris. I think you are probably right that it was Murphy. Still, given their friendship I think it is reasonable to conclude Teevens was aware of it and accepted this favor from his buddy. I also thought Dartmouth ran up the score on Yale this year, so it seems like there is still some bad blood between the coaches.

Go Green
December 2nd, 2015, 05:17 AM
I don't know if you look at CS.com, but there's a conspiracy theorist over there called expandspanos who would be proud of you right now.

Harris said it wasn't Teevens that complained about Varga.

Unless you think she's lying, who do you think it was? Columbia? :)

DFW HOYA
December 2nd, 2015, 05:47 AM

So what exactly would happen if, under the scenario where the Pinstripe Bowl called Dartmouth's Phil Hanlon and he said, "Sure, we're in"?

Does Dartmouth lose its key to the executive washroom at the Waldorf?

Lehigh Football Nation
December 2nd, 2015, 09:25 AM
I know the leadership at the Ivies are deeply hypocritical about FCS football, but it would take a hypocritical leap of Clintonian proportions for them to accept a bowl bid when they haven't done so on theological grounds since 1949.

Ivytalk
December 2nd, 2015, 09:42 AM
Harris said it wasn't Teevens that complained about Varga.

Unless you think she's lying, who do you think it was? Columbia? :)

I have no interest in this little contretemps. I'm more interested in finding out who Harvard's starting QB will be next year. As for Reno leaving, it wasn't the first time that a Harvard assistant coach left Cambridge for a head coaching job at Yale. Remember the late Tim Taylor?