PDA

View Full Version : How many seeded team lose their opening game?

Milktruck74
November 23rd, 2015, 06:23 AM
I think the committee got some stuff right, but also got a few wrong. I think there will be at least 3 seeds go down in their opening game....what say you?

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 23rd, 2015, 06:28 AM
#4 McNeese
#6 Portland State
#7 Richmond
#8 Charleston S

Milktruck74
November 23rd, 2015, 06:55 AM
#4 McNeese
#6 Portland State
#7 Richmond
#8 Charleston S

A bit different than mine....I think we could see two unseeded teams in the semis.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 23rd, 2015, 07:01 AM
A bit different than mine....I think we could see two unseeded teams in the semis.

Chatty has a chance to beat JSU. Only had a 3 point loss to them. Should be a good game.

Milktruck74
November 23rd, 2015, 07:07 AM
Chatty has a chance to beat JSU. Only had a 3 point loss to them. Should be a good game.

After that game, I thought I'd like another shot at them....but they have gotten better all year and the Mocs have remained stagnant, at best. They figured a way to shut down our best offensive weapon (Jacob Huesman) so we have to figure that out to have a true shot.....but first we need to get past Fordham!!!!

jmu007
November 23rd, 2015, 07:29 AM
#4 McNeese
#6 Portland State
#7 Richmond
#8 Charleston S

If this happened.... man oh man. Dukes would be partying in Harrisonburg.

Milktruck74
November 23rd, 2015, 07:38 AM
If this happened.... man oh man. Dukes would be partying in Harrisonburg.

The Dukes may be partying by themselves in Harrisburg on December 11....while some say they were the last in, UNH is hitting on all cylinders right now....JMU should win, but it is far from an easy game.

achrist70
November 23rd, 2015, 07:55 AM
Other than Illinois State who I don't see having much trouble with Dayton or WIU, I could see any of the other seeds being upset.

JSUSoutherner
November 23rd, 2015, 08:04 AM
After that game, I thought I'd like another shot at them....but they have gotten better all year and the Mocs have remained stagnant, at best. They figured a way to shut down our best offensive weapon (Jacob Huesman) so we have to figure that out to have a true shot.....but first we need to get past Fordham!!!!
Yeah, Chatt's weapon on us is defense. They've pressured Eli into throwing more TD's passes for Chattanooga than Huesman has. We will need to take care of the football better in a rematch, turnover have been our Achilles heel against Chat over the past two years.

Daytripper
November 23rd, 2015, 08:06 AM
There is a lot of parity in field. I wouldn't be surprised to see multiple unseeded teams in the semis.

chattownmocs
November 23rd, 2015, 08:21 AM

They have completely shut down Huesman the last 2 years. They won by 3 both times.

TypicalTribe
November 23rd, 2015, 08:23 AM
I'm really confused by all the love for UNH. "Hitting on all cylinders"? Yes, they won their last four, but in the first game they trailed URI 17-0 at home before pulling out a 20-17 squeaker. The lone road win was by 10 at a god-awful Albany team and they closed the season with a 22-6 win against an offensively-challenged Maine team. Richmond was a nice win but if you need 5-0 turnover margin to win by 5 at home, it's not exactly a resounding victory.

Long story short, UNH went 7-4 against the worst schedule in the CAA. They played the bottom 6 teams and only had to face 2 teams in the top half, missing JMU, Villanova and Towson. There's a reason the Wildcats are ranked around 40 in all the computers.

Catsfan90
November 23rd, 2015, 08:31 AM
I'm really confused by all the love for UNH. "Hitting on all cylinders"? Yes, they won their last four, but in the first game they trailed URI 17-0 at home before pulling out a 20-17 squeaker. The lone road win was by 10 at a god-awful Albany team and they closed the season with a 22-6 win against an offensively-challenged Maine team. Richmond was a nice win but if you need 5-0 turnover margin to win by 5 at home, it's not exactly a resounding victory.

Long story short, UNH went 7-4 against the worst schedule in the CAA. They played the bottom 6 teams and only had to face 2 teams in the top half, missing JMU, Villanova and Towson. There's a reason the Wildcats are ranked around 40 in all the computers.
Dude, why do you hate UNH so much? The title of this thread is about ranked teams that could lose. Was it really neccesary to type a whole paragraph that has nothing to do with the original post?

Cocky
November 23rd, 2015, 08:38 AM
Other than Illinois State who I don't see having much trouble with Dayton or WIU, I could see any of the other seeds being upset.

A agree with this, ISUr received the best bracket position of any seeded team.

dwtime
November 23rd, 2015, 08:43 AM
Dude, why do you hate UNH so much? The title of this thread is about ranked teams that could lose. Was it really neccesary to type a whole paragraph that has nothing to do with the original post?

Agreed, just ingnore the troll.

OSBF
November 23rd, 2015, 08:47 AM
A agree with this, ISUr received the best bracket position of any seeded team.

yup

and ndsu has one of the toughest draws

just me, I think they got hosed

Daytripper
November 23rd, 2015, 08:51 AM
Somebody will always "get hosed" when putting a 24 team bracket together with regionalization being the driving force.

Cocky
November 23rd, 2015, 09:05 AM
yup

NDSU has the toughest in my opinion.

PurpleStreamers
November 23rd, 2015, 09:10 AM

This. Really tough draws for NDSU and JSU who would've been the other two sure things - the other seeds were going to be vulnerable no matter who they got and the bracket hasn't changed that. (Though the Dukes sure settled under a lucky star yesterday)

Daytripper
November 23rd, 2015, 09:10 AM
NDSU has the toughest in my opinion.

They will truly have to earn one for the thumb.

dystopiamembrane
November 23rd, 2015, 09:16 AM
Northern Iowa will probably give Portland State a thrashing. We'll see.
I look forward to having an MVFC team in our house.

centennial
November 23rd, 2015, 09:17 AM
They will truly have to earn one for the thumb.

I am sure the AD's want a new champion. The playoffs look to be custom made to knock us out, good probability we don't see a team outside the MVFC till the finals. There is no reward for being the #3 seed.

Mocs123
November 23rd, 2015, 09:18 AM
They have completely shut down Huesman the last 2 years. They won by 3 both times.

JSUs defense has been the best we have seen the past two years. They are the real deal. Our offensive production was outright embarrassing in 2014 and not that great this year.

I have wondered if it being the first game of the season had a part in that as we have struggled in openers in recent years. I would love another shot at them this year and they have a great game day atmosphere in Jacksonville. The best I have seen since App left the FCS.

I has said I wanted to meet JSU in Frisco this year but since we are in the same bracket I hope we are in Frisco and the Gamecocks are sitting at home :)

Of course we have to beat Fordham first which isn't an easy task.

Catsfan90
November 23rd, 2015, 09:20 AM
I am sure the AD's want a new champion. The playoffs look to be custom made to knock us out, good probability we don't see a team outside the MVFC till the finals. There is no reward for being the #3 seed.
As a few other people posted as well NDSU did it to themselves with those losses. But look at it this way. If they do win out, it will only be that much sweeter.

THE HERD
November 23rd, 2015, 09:41 AM
As a few other people posted as well NDSU did it to themselves with those losses. But look at it this way. If they do win out, it will only be that much sweeter.

I have no problem with the 3 seed, since the Redbirds had just as good a case for the 2 seed as we did.....the problem is all five MV teams in the same bracket. I think the NCAA said we want to make sure its not an all Valley NC again...who knows, but something really smells about that decision.

THE HERD
November 23rd, 2015, 09:50 AM
yup

Well I guess there is only one thing left to do then.........Win the Whole F&%$#)%& Thing! (little Major League quote for your Monday morning). I agree with ya though its a tough draw and may be a little too much with our inconsistencies and a Rfr QB, we have the talent just need be extremely sharp, because if we are not with the teams in our bracket we will be done quick!

THE HERD
November 23rd, 2015, 09:58 AM
Does anybody know if five teams from one conference have been placed in the same bracket ever?! I would assume if it has it would have been the CAA possibly.

achrist70
November 23rd, 2015, 10:06 AM
I highly doubt it has ever happened I know in 2007 when the CAA got 5 in a 16 team field they were all on the same side, and last year the MVFC obviously weren't on the same side.

IBleedYellow
November 23rd, 2015, 10:28 AM
If NDSU wants to win a 5th, it'll be very much an earned Title. Nothing more than the other 4...but just a different level.

It'll be fun to see this team grow. Hopefully they can consistently play at a high level from here on out.

MacThor
November 23rd, 2015, 10:29 AM
Does anybody know if five teams from one conference have been placed in the same bracket ever?! I would assume if it has it would have been the CAA possibly.

I think the last time the CAA put 5 teams in, there were only 16 teams in the tournament and they didn't do first round conference match-ups. So there was no way to cram them all on one side with only 4 games.

RootinFerDukes
November 23rd, 2015, 10:54 AM
I will say that we're the seed most likely to be "upset" in our first game. Outside of an NEC or Pioneer team coming to Harrisonburg, I don't know if we can beat anyone else in the field.
We will likely see UNH and they always have a good defense. Meanwhile our offense has struggled the past two games. It's just not the same without Vad.

jsnow84
November 23rd, 2015, 11:10 AM
I see CSU with zero chance to win their 1st game.

LeeshaJo
November 23rd, 2015, 11:14 AM
NDSU is due... ;) It has to happen one of these years, right?.................... right? .................

Bisonator
November 23rd, 2015, 11:19 AM
I have no problem with the 3 seed, since the Redbirds had just as good a case for the 2 seed as we did.....the problem is all five MV teams in the same bracket. I think the NCAA said we want to make sure its not an all Valley NC again...who knows, but something really smells about that decision.

This. I was honestly expecting the 3 or 4 seed. Did not expect WIU to make it and sure as hell did not expect all the MVFC teams on one side of the bracket. That's pure BS IMO.

Bisonator
November 23rd, 2015, 11:21 AM
NDSU is due... ;) It has to happen one of these years, right?.................... right? .................

You wish. :D

Yes the odds are against us. We wouldn't have it any other way!xnodx

wmmii
November 23rd, 2015, 12:19 PM
#3 NDSU gets beaten by SDSU
#7 Richmond by Tribe
#8 Chuck South by The Citadel

Catsfan90
November 23rd, 2015, 12:21 PM
I will say that we're the seed most likely to be "upset" in our first game. Outside of an NEC or Pioneer team coming to Harrisonburg, I don't know if we can beat anyone else in the field.
We will likely see UNH and they always have a good defense. Meanwhile our offense has struggled the past two games. It's just not the same without Vad.
Not looking ahead to far. But I think JMU vs UNH will v a good matchup. Been a few years since we've seen this game!

Catsfan90
November 23rd, 2015, 12:22 PM
I'm really intrigued by this game. This will really show us what PSU is made of.

Cocky
November 23rd, 2015, 12:27 PM
Its never happened to the OVC.

JSUSoutherner
November 23rd, 2015, 12:32 PM
Its never happened to the OVC.
How shocking...

CSU18
November 23rd, 2015, 12:45 PM
I see CSU with zero chance to win their 1st game.

Zero chance???? A little harsh isn't it? We'll have a team that we beat once this season already. I agree it's not easy to do it twice in a season, but I'm not sure about zero chance. Coastal hasn't proven to be a powerhouse over the last several weeks. We handled the Citade pretty well, and didn't even play that great of a game against them. I like our chances personally.

thebootfitter
November 23rd, 2015, 12:48 PM
What? Due for another string of playoff victories??? I'll go with that!

It is a tough road for sure for any Valley teams this year. Hopefully we don't beat each other up too badly. One game at a time though. As much as I'd like to see the Bison vs Griz rematch, and as much as I don't want to see another NDSU vs SDSU, I still want you guys to represent and beat the Griz.

LeeshaJo
November 23rd, 2015, 12:53 PM
What? Due for another string of playoff victories??? I'll go with that!

It is a tough road for sure for any Valley teams this year. Hopefully we don't beat each other up too badly. One game at a time though. As much as I'd like to see the Bison vs Griz rematch, and as much as I don't want to see another NDSU vs SDSU, I still want you guys to represent and beat the Griz.

It's not that NDSU hasn't earned their wins... as a Jackrabbit fan I am tired of the end the year losing to NDSU trend (or just losing to NDSU period.) So, I am going to say that NDSU is due for a loss in the playoffs.... may it come at the hands of SDSU... that said, do the Rabbits lose this weekend, good luck the rest of the way... (original thought, right ;) )

walliver
November 23rd, 2015, 12:55 PM
I have a hard time picturing CSU beating CCU or El Cid twice in one season. I wouldn't say "zero chance", but it's unlikely.

URMite
November 23rd, 2015, 01:10 PM
#7 Richmond by Tribe

Well if not. I believe our next loss to the Missouri Valley will be our first. Including regular season... but only went back to 1939...

xlolx

Beat WIU regular season 1985
Beat YSU playoff 2000
Beat UNI playoff 2008

Don't see any others...

jmrepak
November 23rd, 2015, 02:29 PM
I like Chatty and Coastal, SHSU and 5 JMU, 3 NDSU and UNI, and 7 Richmond and 2 Ill State to meet in the Quarters.

jmrepak
November 23rd, 2015, 02:31 PM
Zero chance???? A little harsh isn't it? We'll have a team that we beat once this season already. I agree it's not easy to do it twice in a season, but I'm not sure about zero chance. Coastal hasn't proven to be a powerhouse over the last several weeks. We handled the Citade pretty well, and didn't even play that great of a game against them. I like our chances personally.
One of the few things I agree with you on here. No way I would say CSU has zero chance considering they've already beaten both of the teams that they could face. Of course I'm picking Coastal to make it to the quarters, but once you get into the playoffs almost every game after the first round could be a toss up.

PantherRob82
November 23rd, 2015, 02:31 PM

It should be a good game. Not sure who I would pick to win. How is your run defense?

MSUBobcat
November 23rd, 2015, 02:32 PM

I'm honestly asking: without going against regionalization, what would MVFC fans change (without changing seeded teams)? IMO, the NDSU, UM, SDSU pod was a lock, as was the CSU, CCU, Citadel pod. Whoever got paired with SHSU was feeding into McNeese. You could say they could have put WIU or UNI there to put a Valley team on the other side but then EIU or Dayton against SUU becomes a flight instead of a bus trip. The teams feeding into JMU and Richmond could be moved around but not in a way to involve the Valley without adding a flight where a bus trip was involved. The Chatty-Fordham game is a flight regardless but you'd have to break up the bus trips for UNI or WIU to put them out there.

So without changing a bus trip to a flight, how would the situation be corrected? Does regionalization screw the integrity of the brackets.... undoubtedly. But using the criteria which we all know, I don't really see a conscientious effort to screw the MVFC. There's 11 teams from Illinois west in the field. All except the 2 TX teams, which can't be moved from their bracket due to McNeese's #4 seed, and SUU which is an outlier and flight to anywhere, are on the same side of the bracket.

If anything, this is a direct result of the "western" teams getting the 2,3, and 6 seeds, which are all on the same side of the bracket. If McNeese had gotten the #6 and PSU gotten the #7 seeds, we'd have all Big Sky, MVFC and Southland teams on the same side, with EIU and Dayton thrown in as bus trips, making this year’s playoffs essentially an East vs. West championship.

Sorry for the thread derailment. I've just been trying to figure out what could change, and I'm not seeing it, given the way the seeds fell.

RootinFerDukes
November 23rd, 2015, 05:01 PM
Not looking ahead to far. But I think JMU vs UNH will v a good matchup. Been a few years since we've seen this game!
It will be, I hope our fans show up with at least 20k, but it's December and apparently two weeks notice won't be enough.
Either way, this is UNH's first trip to Harrisonburg since 2010 and it only took the playoffs to force you all back down here.

Daytripper
November 23rd, 2015, 05:12 PM
I like Chatty and Coastal, SHSU and 5 JMU, 3 NDSU and UNI, and 7 Richmond and 2 Ill State to meet in the Quarters.

I like the way you think!

Catsfan90
November 23rd, 2015, 05:20 PM
It will be, I hope our fans show up with at least 20k, but it's December and apparently two weeks notice won't be enough.
Either way, this is UNH's first trip to Harrisonburg since 2010 and it only took the playoffs to force you all back down here.
Trust me! If it were my choice I wouldn't have had it that way.

JSUSoutherner
November 23rd, 2015, 05:23 PM
xlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaox

KPSUL
November 23rd, 2015, 05:29 PM

Yes, it's been 5 long years. I don't think the upper deck on your home side was even finished back then? Wacky CAA scheduling led to that, every time they reset to accommodate teams coming or going from the conference the next game ended up in NH. Amazingly, 2016 regular season game is back in NH.

If we get by Colgate, JMU will be a clear favorite, but UNH should be able to make a good game out of it.

Drblankstare
November 23rd, 2015, 05:40 PM
Well if you judge the playoffs by what we saw in the regular season expect to see a little madness. The Bracket Challenge this year should be interesting. It wouldn't shock me to see half the seeds get bounced and that includes the Bison.

RootinFerDukes
November 23rd, 2015, 05:53 PM
Yes, it's been 5 long years. I don't think the upper deck on your home side was even finished back then? Wacky CAA scheduling led to that, every time they reset to accommodate teams coming or going from the conference the next game ended up in NH. Amazingly, 2016 regular season game is back in NH.

If we get by Colgate, JMU will be a clear favorite, but UNH should be able to make a good game out of it.

That is correct. This will be unh's first trip to the half complete stadium. Maybe you'll be absent for forty years and we can finally finish it. We'd need a new administration first.

ElCid
November 23rd, 2015, 06:18 PM

Yeah, zero chance is a little extreme. I say 5%:D. Seriously, I will honestly say that The Citadel/CCU and either winner/CSU are both 50/50 games right now. I may change that based on this weekend, but right now it is a crap shoot. I know you guys adjusted very well in the second half against us, but we are also not the team you played in September. We will see how it pans put this Saturday first. If either team dominates and runs away with it, I don't like CSU's chances the following week.

YoUDeeMan
November 23rd, 2015, 09:24 PM

UNH stinks. JMU has a MUCH better offense. Neither defense is something to write home about.

Advantage: JMU.

Cripes, if you want to beat UNH, simply (and I mean simply) run the ball down their throats. They can't stop the run...simply not big enough or fast enough. They have a S-L-O-W team this year.

Twentysix
November 23rd, 2015, 09:55 PM
#7 Richmond by Tribe

I don't think NDSU will lose to either team. NDSU will probably lose to UNI in the quarters though.

Twentysix
November 23rd, 2015, 09:57 PM

My quarters are Chatty v 8 CSU; 5 JMU v SUU; 3 NDSU v UNI; 7 UR v 2 ISUr.

Twentysix
November 23rd, 2015, 09:59 PM
I'd sure love to be wrong though and have NDSU win the whole thing again xthumbsupx

JSUSoutherner
November 23rd, 2015, 10:13 PM
My Quarters:

1.JSU vs. 8.CSU
5.JMU vs. SHSU
3.NDSU vs. 6.PSU
2.ISUr vs. W&M

Bisonwinagn
November 23rd, 2015, 10:18 PM
Well if not. I believe our next loss to the Missouri Valley will be our first. Including regular season... but only went back to 1939...

xlolx

Beat WIU regular season 1985
Beat YSU playoff 2000
Beat UNI playoff 2008

Don't see any others...

A good passing team has chance to beat ISUr. I don't think anyone will run on them much. Do Richmond or W&M have good passing offenses? Also probably need to score 35 to win. Thoughts?

katstrapper
November 24th, 2015, 12:00 AM
xlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaox

I don't think any Jax St fan should be laughing at any prediction after SHSU bounced them out of the playoffs last year..

MacThor
November 24th, 2015, 12:21 AM
A good passing team has chance to beat ISUr. I don't think anyone will run on them much. Do Richmond or W&M have good passing offenses? Also probably need to score 35 to win. Thoughts?
Richmond has the top passing offense in the CAA and the 1st and 3rd leading receivers. We also have the CAA leading rusher.

longtimemocfan
November 24th, 2015, 12:21 AM
xlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaox

Jax St. had the best FCS DLine I saw all year. If we get past Fordham we'll have to find a way to block better to have a shot against them. I heard you lost one your DLine starters for the year. Still didn't seem to miss a beat even without him.

JSUSoutherner
November 24th, 2015, 03:46 AM
I don't think any Jax St fan should be laughing at any prediction after SHSU bounced them out of the playoffs last year..

I put SHSU in the quarters, we learned our lesson with them. However, I'm currently not threatened by Mocs. Maybe it will bite me, but I'm a little cocky and feel pretty good about our chances against them.

^^^ This above and my other post are mostly just some smack toward our neighbors to the near north anyway. I know Chat always plays us tough and close and I will expect nothing less come December 5th so if we see them I'll definitely have my fingers crossed for the W. It never comes easy against the Mocs... Unless you're Mercer. ;)

Jax St. had the best FCS DLine I saw all year. If we get past Fordham we'll have to find a way to block better to have a shot against them. I heard you lost one your DLine starters for the year. Still didn't seem to miss a beat even without him.

We had him in against Chat and Auburn, he went out during the Tennessee State game with an ACL injury (I think). So it will be interesting, if we play Chat, to see what kind of impact he really made on the field compared to now. I'm not sure if he's coming back next year, I've heard he may have a medical redshirt for this season.
Our D-Line this year is deep. We're pretty deep in just about every position this year. Except special teams, our kryptonite.

Cocky
November 24th, 2015, 05:13 AM
The injury bug isnt near as bad this year. We have only lost a few players where last year it was around 20 out of the playoffs. But I also dont think we have the ability to look past anyone.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 24th, 2015, 06:52 AM

IMO, UNI will crush EIU and beat PSU at their place. If NDSU gets by the Griz/Jacks winner, that 2nd game in Fargo will be a good one. I'm sure NDSU will try to defend Bailey a little differently to try to take away his running alleys. IDK what Entz will do but with Bailey's low passing %, maybe he would play more man on the outside to leave the Ss in to help cover the run. Good chess match potentially.

grayghost06
November 24th, 2015, 10:05 AM

I agree with you that our Dukes will struggle with most full scholarship teams the way we are playing lately. But the New Hampshire teams under McDonnell have always been big offense and little defense. So, our guys will get their points, but we can't let off the gas. Those boys up north can score some points.

crossfire07
November 25th, 2015, 03:36 AM
#4 McNeese
#6 Portland State
#7 Richmond
#8 Charleston S

And you base that on what since you don't even know who we will be playing? Or is that your wish list?

ming01
November 25th, 2015, 04:03 AM
I have 2 seeded teams losing in 2nd round. 1 unseeded in semis.

crossfire07
November 25th, 2015, 04:03 AM
IF the kitty kats make it back to Lake Charles I have some comp passes to BOTH casinos for your OC. He seemed to appreciate them last time :)

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 25th, 2015, 06:08 AM
And you base that on what since you don't even know who we will be playing? Or is that your wish list?

Based on the fact that SHSU has proven they can win in the playoffs in the recent past.

We'll see if McNeese can do it in the playoffs.

JSUSoutherner
November 25th, 2015, 06:17 AM
I only have one seeded team losing on my bracket. I'm still on the fence about one particular match up.

caribbeanhen
November 25th, 2015, 06:45 AM
UNH is hitting on all cylinders right now....JMU should win, but it is far from an easy game.

that might be true but there driving the 1974 Pinto....

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 25th, 2015, 07:06 AM
that might be true but there driving the 1974 Pinto....

With the optional OHC 2.3L engine I hope

In 1974, to meet federal regulations, 5 mph bumpers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5_mph_bumper) were added to both the front and rear. Unlike the majority of 1970s cars, the addition of larger bumpers to the Pinto would not necessitate major changes to the bodywork. While the underpowered Kent engine was dropped, the optional OHC engine was expanded to 2.3L. In various forms, this engine would go on to power a variety of Ford vehicles for 23 years. Mercury begins selling the Bobcat as a Canada-only model. With 544,209 units sold, 1974 would be the most popular model year for the Pinto

Gil Dobie
November 25th, 2015, 07:51 AM
I only see 2 sure winners of the 8 seeds in their first games. ISUR and JMU should easily win their first games. All other teams are possible upset victims.

RootinFerDukes
November 25th, 2015, 07:53 AM
I agree with you that our Dukes will struggle with most full scholarship teams the way we are playing lately. But the New Hampshire teams under McDonnell have always been big offense and little defense. So, our guys will get their points, but we can't let off the gas. Those boys up north can score some points.
It always comes down to the performance of the lineman. Our o-line hasn't been protecting schor well in any of his three games and he isn't being given the time he needs to read a play. They are also relying on his running too much while neglecting our RBs. Schor isn't anywhere near the runner that vad was. He's just not explosive enough.

RootinFerDukes
November 25th, 2015, 07:55 AM
I only see 2 sure winners of the 8 seeds in their first games. ISUR and JMU should easily win their first games. All other teams are possible upset victims.
Curious to your reasoning for us. Many JMU fans who are willing to take the purple shades off realize we don't stand a chance against most teams in the field. Our backup QB has been okay, but okay isn't really good enough in the playoffs against quality teams.

Gil Dobie
November 25th, 2015, 08:04 AM
Curious to your reasoning for us. Many JMU fans who are willing to take the purple shades off realize we don't stand a chance against most teams in the field. Our backup QB has been okay, but okay isn't really good enough in the playoffs against quality teams.

I am thinking you guys have a better chance over Colgate/New Hampshire than any of the other seeds, except ISUR over their first opponents, at home.

Stonewall D
November 25th, 2015, 08:05 AM

IMHO, UNH fans were the most surprised that they made the playoffs. UNH was the last team in.

ST_Lawson
November 25th, 2015, 08:11 AM
ISUR and JMU should easily win their first games.

I don't know, I've heard Dayton is pretty dangerous. Weren't the favored to win it all before their loss at Drake? ;)

Stonewall D
November 25th, 2015, 08:19 AM
IMHO, JMU will advance to the semi-finals after defeating Sam Houston State in the Quarters. I have SMHU beating both Southern Utah and McNeese. Although, McNeese might win. Either way, JMU makes the semis.

Stonewall D
November 25th, 2015, 08:29 AM
Montana could beat NDSU.
William and Mary could beat Richmond.
Sam Houston could beat McNeese.
Citadel could beat Charleston Southern.

UNIFanSince1983
November 25th, 2015, 08:32 AM
All of them lose and it is flat out chaos! xnodx

CappinHard
November 25th, 2015, 10:21 AM
If NDSU gets by the Griz/Jacks winner, that 2nd game in Fargo will be a good one.

If the Jacks were to somehow get over the hump, who would host the quarterfinal game, assuming it's SDSU vs. UNI? (not banking on this, just out of curiosity)

ST_Lawson
November 25th, 2015, 10:31 AM
If the Jacks were to somehow get over the hump, who would host the quarterfinal game, assuming it's SDSU vs. UNI? (not banking on this, just out of curiosity)

No seeds involved, I think that's just up to whoever bids highest.

GetEmGriz
November 25th, 2015, 10:34 AM

Since no seeds are involved, it's whoever bids the highest amount.

achrist70
November 25th, 2015, 10:35 AM
So it would be at the UNI Dome

CappinHard
November 25th, 2015, 11:25 AM
So it would be at the UNI Dome

Likely. Although being in Sioux Falls, it's hard to tell. One would think that they wouldn't have bid much because it's not in Brookings. Another could claim that the bid was higher because Sioux Falls might really want a game there.

ST_Lawson
November 25th, 2015, 12:09 PM
Likely. Although being in Sioux Falls, it's hard to tell. One would think that they wouldn't have bid much because it's not in Brookings. Another could claim that the bid was higher because Sioux Falls might really want a game there.

This is true, they ponied up for the Summit League tournament, they could be chipping in something so that SDSU could bring a playoff game there.

crossfire07
November 25th, 2015, 02:13 PM
Based on the fact that SHSU has proven they can win in the playoffs in the recent past.

We'll see if McNeese can do it in the playoffs.

Every year is different and the past means absolutely NOTHING! If your going to base your picks on previous seasons you might as well let Stevie Wonder pick them for you :)

crossfire07
November 25th, 2015, 02:18 PM
Montana could beat NDSU.
William and Mary could beat Richmond.
Sam Houston could beat McNeese.
Citadel could beat Charleston Southern.

and what if there is no Sam Houston McNeese game?

UNIFanSince1983
November 25th, 2015, 02:26 PM
This is true, they ponied up for the Summit League tournament, they could be chipping in something so that SDSU could bring a playoff game there.

Yeah the stadium in SF only holds 10k though. That is a factor in how much you bid. Who really knows? I am guessing we don't see that game anyway so it is probably a moot point.

ST_Lawson
November 25th, 2015, 02:29 PM
Yeah the stadium in SF only holds 10k though. That is a factor in how much you bid. Who really knows? I am guessing we don't see that game anyway so it is probably a moot point.

Right, although generally with the bid, the school tries to not lose much money on it, estimating about where the "sweet spot" would be between how much they have to give the NCAA and how much they can make back from tickets and stuff to figure out their bid. If the city is willing to treat it as "marketing", they wouldn't have to worry so much about not losing money on it.

Still, you're right...very little chance of it actually happening.

Bison56
November 25th, 2015, 02:29 PM
I have 6 of the 8 seeds losing their opening game.

CappinHard
November 25th, 2015, 02:30 PM

You must think UNI is going to lose against Portland St.? xsmiley_wix

JSUSoutherner
November 25th, 2015, 02:35 PM

I assume one you have surviving is NDSU, dare I ask who the other is?

UNIFanSince1983
November 25th, 2015, 02:36 PM
You must think UNI is going to lose against Portland St.? xsmiley_wix

I wouldn't say that is out of the realm of possibilities. xthumbsupx

- - - Updated - - -

Right, although generally with the bid, the school tries to not lose much money on it, estimating about where the "sweet spot" would be between how much they have to give the NCAA and how much they can make back from tickets and stuff to figure out their bid. If the city is willing to treat it as "marketing", they wouldn't have to worry so much about not losing money on it.

Still, you're right...very little chance of it actually happening.

I guess that is true. If the city ponies up and says we will make it back with visitors and marketing it is possible.

Bison56
November 25th, 2015, 02:36 PM
I assume one you have surviving is NDSU, dare I ask who the other is?

Go ahead and ask.

ST_Lawson
November 25th, 2015, 02:39 PM
I guess that is true. If the city ponies up and says we will make it back with visitors and marketing it is possible.

Right. I don't know if the math would work out or not (probably not, would be my guess), but that's what they do for the Summit League tournament. But the SL tournament draws more people than even a packed 10k stadium would for one football game.

JSUSoutherner
November 25th, 2015, 02:41 PM
Go ahead and ask.

Who is it? My top two guesses would be 1.) NDSU and 2.) JMU or Portland State

Bison56
November 25th, 2015, 02:47 PM
Who is it? My top two guesses would be 1.) NDSU and 2.) JMU or Portland State

NDSU and ISUr

thebootfitter
November 25th, 2015, 02:53 PM
Every year is different and the past means absolutely NOTHING! If your going to base your picks on previous seasons you might as well let Stevie Wonder pick them for you :)
The bolded part is not necessarily true from all perspectives. It can be argued that there are intangible factors in these sorts of situations. If players or coaches have been in similar situations before, they might respond differently. Perhaps more confidently. That can have a bearing on the current situation.

thebootfitter
November 25th, 2015, 02:56 PM
NDSU and ISUr
You really think Jax St will lose to Chattanooga? Or Fordham? Anything is possible, I guess, but that doesn't seem very likely. JSU may not be the most consistent team in the land, but they have shown that they are pretty solid all around. Unless they completely fall apart, I think we'll see the Cocks make it to at least the semi-finals, if not the championship game.

McNeese75
November 25th, 2015, 02:58 PM

Damn, Bison going out quick this year huh.

JSUSoutherner
November 25th, 2015, 03:02 PM
NDSU and ISUr

Oh I didn't even notice ISUr's possible matchups. I agree with your picks they are definitely safest I just don't think only two will survive.

JSUSoutherner
November 25th, 2015, 03:10 PM
You really think Jax St will lose to Chattanooga? Or Fordham? Anything is possible, I guess, but that doesn't seem very likely. JSU may not be the most consistent team in the land, but they have shown that they are pretty solid all around. Unless they completely fall apart, I think we'll see the Cocks make it to at least the semi-finals, if not the championship game.

We definitely have the right stuff to make it to Frisco but given our post season record anything is possible. I definitely think our chances are good. I just want some playoff wins to rid myself of the doubt. We were supposed to make a pretty deep run last year too and we all know how that ended.

Bisonator
November 25th, 2015, 03:26 PM

Certainly possible. They only won 23-20 in the first game.

JSUSoutherner
November 25th, 2015, 03:27 PM
Certainly possible. They only won 23-20 in the first game.

In our defense, over the past two years they haven't gotten a single touchdown that wasn't a direct result of a fumble or interception from us. If we had taken care of the ball those games would have been embarrassing for Chat.

UNIFanSince1983
November 25th, 2015, 03:31 PM
It is a chicken and egg debate. Was JSU not good at hanging on to the ball or is Chatt good at forcing them into turnovers?

Bisonator
November 25th, 2015, 03:33 PM
In our defense, over the past two years they haven't gotten a single touchdown that wasn't a direct result of a fumble or interception from us. If we had taken care of the ball those games would have been embarrassing for Chat.

Whatever. You still barely won. Maybe you fumble too many times or throw too many picks to overcome the next game. Like I said it's certainly possible.

Bison56
November 25th, 2015, 04:05 PM
I believe the Mocs roll Fordham, and finally get a win over JSU in a nail bitter. Flame away.

thebootfitter
November 25th, 2015, 04:06 PM
NDSU and ISUr
I actually have a feeling that Western Illinois will pull off the upset against ISUr. My picks have NDSU, JMU, and JSU as the only seeds that survive the first round.

JSUSoutherner
November 25th, 2015, 04:08 PM
It is a chicken and egg debate. Was JSU not good at hanging on to the ball or is Chatt good at forcing them into turnovers?

I definitely think both factors may have been at play. It was the first game of our season and retrospectively the turnovers in that game were very very uncharacteristic compared to what we did the rest of the season, even including the Auburn game. We will definitely find out if they come to our house.
My point in saying that though is that our defense has basically hosed Chattanooga's offense for the past two years and if we keep it up defensively and take care of the ball on offense the odds should lean in our favor since their biggest source of points have been our mistakes.

But this is all speculation, I'm not going to be like some fans and predict a 40 point blow out. We will find out when (if they beat Fordham) we play. It's definitely going to be a good game.

Bison56
November 25th, 2015, 04:29 PM
I actually have a feeling that Western Illinois will pull off the upset against ISUr. My picks have NDSU, JMU, and JSU as the only seeds that survive the first round.

I debated WIU over ISU the longest, but I had to go with ISU just because of the experience.

JSUSoutherner
November 25th, 2015, 04:41 PM
I believe the Mocs roll Fordham, and finally get a win over JSU in a nail bitter. Flame away.

Nobody is going to flame at that assumption. It's a definite possibility.

ST_Lawson
November 25th, 2015, 06:02 PM
I debated WIU over ISU the longest, but I had to go with ISU just because of the experience.

I think you're right on that. I think it'll be closer than the first game was, but ISU is just too good right now.

Next year, when Roberson and Coprich are gone and the game is at our place...I think we got that one...but this year...unlikely.

spdram
November 25th, 2015, 08:06 PM
very little respect for my Spiders, Coach ought to copy this thread and put it on the bulletin board

Thumper 76
November 25th, 2015, 08:16 PM
But this is all speculation, I'm not going to be like some fans and predict a 40 point blow out. We will find out when (if they beat Fordham) we play. It's definitely going to be a good game.

Ohhhhh I see what you did there.

JSUSoutherner
November 25th, 2015, 08:24 PM
Ohhhhh I see what you did there.
Wasn't it slick?

crossfire07
November 25th, 2015, 08:52 PM
The bolded part is not necessarily true from all perspectives. It can be argued that there are intangible factors in these sorts of situations. If players or coaches have been in similar situations before, they might respond differently. Perhaps more confidently. That can have a bearing on the current situation.
I have to disagree. Teams are differany every year. Chemistry is differany. Differany players means you do differany things. All you have to do is look at your own team to get the point.

thebootfitter
November 25th, 2015, 09:03 PM
I have to disagree. Teams are differany every year. Chemistry is differany. Differany players means you do differany things. All you have to do is look at your own team to get the point.
Funny thing is, I don't disagree with your points, but there is still something about having experience in a certain type of situation that carries over, especially if those who have been there are seen as team leaders.

Hopefully the Bison will provide another anecdotal example of that this year, even though the team dynamics are different and they've had a few struggles throughout the year.

McNeeserocket
November 25th, 2015, 10:13 PM

Crossfire, does your keyboard lack the letter "t" or what?

Nickels
November 25th, 2015, 10:19 PM
Sounds just like the rest of your silly coonass jive.

Bison56
November 25th, 2015, 10:27 PM
very little respect for my Spiders, Coach ought to copy this thread and put it on the bulletin board

Who?

Catsfan90
November 25th, 2015, 11:31 PM
All of them lose and it is flat out chaos! xnodx
And Dayton swoops in taking it all.

JSUSoutherner
November 25th, 2015, 11:41 PM
EIEIU goes to Frisco.

crossfire07
November 26th, 2015, 04:25 AM
Yeah, it was missing lasT nighT buT I found iT :)

Nickels, Coonass' with h0's named kitty kats. This season was our 20th anniversary! 20 seasons ago your offense sucked back then too and couldn't get into the end zone.20 - 0 Happy Anniversary!!!!

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 26th, 2015, 07:20 AM

In Sammy's case it is relevant. They were very young last year and made it to the semis. The whole team is back this year with that experience with them.

We'll see wont we.

jsualumnus
November 26th, 2015, 09:06 AM
EIEIU goes to Frisco.

...and on this farm they had a Gamecock!

crossfire07
November 26th, 2015, 11:24 AM
In Sammy's case it is relevant. They were very young last year and made it to the semis. The whole team is back this year with that experience with them.

We'll see wont we.

xsmiley_wix

JSUSoutherner
November 26th, 2015, 11:44 AM
...and on this farm they had a Gamecock!

*cough cough* all OVC championship game *cough cough*

Milktruck74
November 26th, 2015, 12:24 PM
*cough cough* all OVC championship game *cough cough*

Do you know Chattown?

JSUSoutherner
November 26th, 2015, 12:53 PM
Do you know Chattown?

I've seen him post. I was making a joke. It's ok.

Milktruck74
November 26th, 2015, 12:59 PM
I've seen him post. I was making a joke. It's ok.

You two should get together...maybe go on a date. You have a lot in common. I hear he has a few Subway fully stamped cards.

JSUSoutherner
November 26th, 2015, 01:00 PM
You two should get together...maybe go on a date. You have a lot in common. I hear he has a few Subway fully stamped cards.

I don't think my girlfriend would approve lol

Milktruck74
November 26th, 2015, 01:02 PM
I don't think my girlfriend would approve lol

but she goes to another school...way far away.. yeah!

McNeese72
November 26th, 2015, 01:26 PM
Sounds just like the rest of your silly coonass jive.

LOL! Crossfire a coonass? There "ain't" no way! Not even close. And for you non-louisiana posters before you get the wrong idea, coonass is slang for Cajun.

Mike296
November 26th, 2015, 04:03 PM
Idk why but I have this gut feeling that one of the weaker teams in the field might pull a cinderella story in the playoffs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JSUSoutherner
November 26th, 2015, 06:39 PM
Idk why but I have this gut feeling that one of the weaker teams in the field might pull a cinderella story in the playoffs

I have Sam Houston State in the Quarterfinals and it wouldn't surprise me if they make it to the Semi's given their playoff history.

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 26th, 2015, 07:34 PM
Portland State
James Madison
Charleston Southern

Milktruck74
November 26th, 2015, 07:42 PM

I think we all have that feeling.

Catsfan90
November 26th, 2015, 07:44 PM

It will be Dayton.

JSUSoutherner
November 26th, 2015, 08:04 PM
It will be Dayton.

xdrunkyxxlmaox