PDA

View Full Version : Rematches in the Playoffs - William and Mary/Richmond

Lehigh Football Nation
November 22nd, 2015, 04:51 PM
I am not against rematches in the playoffs per se. The degree of my hatred of these rematches is based on three factors:

1. Conference games
2. Proximity to to the end of the year
3. Rivalries

Which is why setting up a (let's get real) likely rematch of William and Mary/Richmond in the second round as ridiculous. They just held the 125th meeting between the two schools, a great game, a tremendous event. Now, two weeks later, it's as if the 125th didn't mean anything! Worse, they didn't even really earn a rematch! William and Mary will be playing the 23rd-strongest team in the field to play the same team they played last week!

The FCS playoff committee has to really understand what makes a great playoff rematch. If they earn their way to get to a rematch in, say, the semifinals (like App State/Furman in the 00s), then the rivalry rematch becomes a great thing that both teams EARNED. But they way they picked this rematch, it's hit every single one of my bad buttons. I actually think it's disgraceful.

MacThor
November 22nd, 2015, 05:02 PM
Yes.

They could have easily distributed the Carolina schools and Virginia schools among each other.

If regionalization is so **** important, split the country East & West and seed the 12 teams in each half, kind of like NHL or NBA playoffs.

I'd be fine with the W&M rematch if it was the result of UR being #7 and W&M #10 (and it may well be) but not for short bus trips. It sure seems like JMU got the best deal of anyone in the tourney.

Stonewall D
November 22nd, 2015, 05:50 PM
Not sure UNH in the second round is a great draw.

spdram
November 22nd, 2015, 06:12 PM
UNH may well knock out JMU (assuming they get there) UNH has been coming together

MacThor
November 22nd, 2015, 06:15 PM
I was referring more to the 5 seed, and avoiding all of the MVFC teams in their half of the bracket.

Also, I think W&M is clearly better than UNH. Their game wasn't close, and we played much better this week than two weeks ago.

NY Crusader 2010
November 22nd, 2015, 06:17 PM
And not to mention Colgate and UNH are having a rematch in the FIRST ROUND!!!! I thought this was taboo. Something needs to be done about this next year.

Really wish we had full participation in the playoffs and got the Ivies in and the HBCUs back on board. Just throwing in a couple more AQs would spice things up enough to avoid rematches at every corner of the bracket. Otherwise, I'm for downsizing the field back down to 20.

Grizalltheway
November 22nd, 2015, 06:36 PM
And not to mention Colgate and UNH are having a rematch in the FIRST ROUND!!!! I thought this was taboo. Something needs to be done about this next year.

Really wish we had full participation in the playoffs and got the Ivies in and the HBCUs back on board. Just throwing in a couple more AQs would spice things up enough to avoid rematches at every corner of the bracket. Otherwise, I'm for downsizing the field back down to 20.

Colgate and UNH aren't in the same conference.

NY Crusader 2010
November 22nd, 2015, 06:40 PM

Have their been first round rematches in the past that included teams in different conferences? I don't think there should be ANY first round rematches, if at all possible.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 22nd, 2015, 06:41 PM

They are not but they already played earlier in the season at Colgate. That's not as bad as the Richmond/W&M rematch, but still a head-scratcher.

MTfan4life
November 22nd, 2015, 06:44 PM
[QUOTE=MacThor;2291566} It sure seems like JMU got the best deal of anyone in the tourney.[/QUOTE]

I'd actually say advantage Sam Houston State in that section. They have a team they match up very well against in the first round, then a rematch game with McNeese. (Always tough to beat a team twice.) Then they'd either go on the road against a team with their second string QB or host a quarterfinal game just a couple weeks after just needing to win to make the playoffs. Couple that with a potential rematch with a team they waxed last season, and Frisco could be half orange once again. All speculation, but I think they have a good bracket to get some momentum going. That McNeese defense is no slouch, though.

MTfan4life
November 22nd, 2015, 06:46 PM
They are not but they already played earlier in the season at Colgate. That's not as bad as the Richmond/W&M rematch, but still a head-scratcher.

I, too, was surprised they didn't send Fordham up there and have Colgate go to Chatty to avoid the rematch, but that would mean giving UNH a much less favorable game. You know they would hate to do that.

KPSUL
November 22nd, 2015, 06:57 PM
I was referring more to the 5 seed, and avoiding all of the MVFC teams in their half of the bracket.

Also, I think W&M is clearly better than UNH. Their game wasn't close, and we played much better this week than two weeks ago.

You can't judge a UNH team playing at Zable. They always kick our butts there. Also it was Sean Goldrich's first game back from a high ankle sprain. It was clear that he was under orders not to run the ball, and his passing was also rusty. You played a much different UNH team. W&M also caught Nova at the low point of their season and they had gotten things back together by the time that played your team. However, agree the JMU bracket is easier than yours.

melloware13
November 22nd, 2015, 06:59 PM
I suggested this somewhere else, but it can be rehashed here. What if they give the 1-8 seeds, then seed the rest as 9-16 and 17-24. Then set the bracket to first avoid conference rematches until the Quarters. If possible, next would be set the bracket so non-con rematches also are put in Quarters at earliest. Using this year's bracket (9-16 auto as the home 1st round; 17-24 as the road 1st round for simplicity):

Fordham @ New Hampshire -> 1. Jacksonville State
Duquesne @ William & Mary -> 8. Charleston Southern
South Dakota State @ Montana -> 4. McNeese State
Western Illinois @ Chattanooga -> 5. James Madison
Colgate @ Dayton -> 2. Illinois State
The Citadel @ Coastal Carolina -> 7. Richmond
Southern Utah @ Sam Houston State -> 3. North Dakota State
Eastern Illinois @ Northern Iowa -> 6. Portland State

tribefan40
November 22nd, 2015, 07:02 PM
You can't judge a UNH team playing at Zable. They always kick our butts there. Also it was Sean Goldrich's first game back from a high ankle sprain. It was clear that he was under orders not to run the ball, and his passing was also rusty. You played a much different UNH team. W&M also caught Nova at the low point of their season and they had gotten things back together by the time that played your team.

We didn't catch UNH at a low point, we completely dominated you with your best offensive weapon healthy and playing, which he didn't against UR. We dominated VU as well. I hope the entire field, including UR, thinks Saturday is who we are.

KPSUL
November 22nd, 2015, 07:03 PM
I, too, was surprised they didn't send Fordham up there and have Colgate go to Chatty to avoid the rematch, but that would mean giving UNH a much less favorable game. You know they would hate to do that.

Right! San Diego wasn't available so we got Colgate instead.

- - - Updated - - -

Catsfan90
November 22nd, 2015, 07:05 PM
We didn't catch UNH at a low point, we completely dominated you with your best offensive weapon healthy and playing, which he didn't against UR. We dominated VU as well. I hope the entire field, including UR, thinks Saturday is who we are.
Who was our best offensive weapon that was healthy and playing? And also what's your point? Nobody was denying that W&M dominated UNH.

The OP's point was that UNH was at a low point which they 100% were.

KPSUL
November 22nd, 2015, 07:09 PM

Oh, apparently Saturday was your low point then?

tribefan40
November 22nd, 2015, 07:10 PM
Who was our best offensive weapon that was healthy and playing? And also what's your point? Nobody was denying that W&M dominated UNH.

The OP's point was that UNH was at a low point which they 100% were.

The OP was diminishing W&M's resume relative to UR. Crossan.

tribefan40
November 22nd, 2015, 07:12 PM
Oh, apparently Saturday was your low point then?

Only losing by 11 @ UR while turning in our worst performance in two years? Sure.

KPSUL
November 22nd, 2015, 07:23 PM
The OP was diminishing W&M's resume relative to UR. Crossan.

By saying W&M always kicks our butts at Zable? I don't think you need to have been a college head coach to know that with relatively few exceptions, a team that runs a spread offense with the backfield frequently empty, would be relying on the QB as the key offensive weapon. Whether you like it or not, Goldrich was no where near 100%. If it makes you feel better, I suspect history indicates you would have beat us decisively at Zable as always' which is the main point. You can't judge a UNH team by a game @ W&M.

tribefan40
November 22nd, 2015, 07:30 PM
By saying W&M always kicks our butts at Zable? I don't think you need to have been a college head coach to know that with relatively few exceptions, a team that runs a spread offense with the backfield frequently empty, would be relying on the QB as the key offensive weapon. Whether you like it or not, Goldrich was no where near 100%. If it makes you feel better, I suspect history indicates you would have beat us decisively at Zable as always' which is the main point. You can't judge a UNH team by a game @ W&M.

Leading rusher and 3rd leading receiver? I'm indeed no football coach, but that sounds pretty important...

KPSUL
November 22nd, 2015, 07:44 PM
Leading rusher and 3rd leading receiver? I'm indeed no football coach, but that sounds pretty important...

Good luck in the playoffs, I'd love to see you guys or Richmond go all the way to Frisco!

MacThor
November 22nd, 2015, 07:47 PM
Most of the UR posters are glad we're (potentially) getting W&M instead of UNH. I am not one of them. I see their point; we have owned W&M lately and UNH has owned us.

Sure, we won vs. W&M and lost @ UNH, but I watched both UR games in their entirety and W&M was the better team. We played like poop against UNH. We played very well yesterday, especially our OL and DL. If the big boys up front play that well, we can do some damage.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 22nd, 2015, 08:14 PM
To the original poster's point, it really is an insult to this Rivalry to have it happen again so quickly. He's absolutely right.

Regarding the UNH versus W&M debate, I really don't care which one we get. If we play our best game, we'd beat either. If we dont, we wont.

You need to beat 4 really good trams, no matter the order you play them in, to win the tournament.

tribefan40
November 22nd, 2015, 09:18 PM
Good luck in the playoffs, I'd love to see you guys or Richmond go all the way to Frisco!

Back at ya - I actually like you guys as a dark horse to make a run - if you can get past Jmu you've got just as good a shot as anyone, IMO.

tribefan40
November 22nd, 2015, 09:21 PM
To the original poster's point, it really is an insult to this Rivalry to have it happen again so quickly. He's absolutely right.

Regarding the UNH versus W&M debate, I really don't care which one we get. If we play our best game, we'd beat either. If we dont, we wont.

You need to beat 4 really good trams, no matter the order you play them in, to win the tournament.

All true. I have to think you guys wouldn't be able to dominate like yesterday twice in three weeks, but hopefully we'll find out.

MacThor
November 23rd, 2015, 09:20 AM
You need to keep Cluley upright against Duquesne. He was very slow to get up after some of those hits on Saturday, and it clearly affected his throwing. I don't know much about your backup QB.
W&M receivers dropped a few they should have caught (as did the UR DB's - we could have had 5 picks).

Mattymc727
November 23rd, 2015, 09:46 AM
The Richmond/W&M matchup is literally the same thing from 2013 when UNH beat Maine for the Musket and then had to beat lowly Lafayette to go back to Maine a week later. Maybe im missing things, but I feel like that never used to happen, now its the norm.

MacThor
November 23rd, 2015, 09:59 AM
The Richmond/W&M matchup is literally the same thing from 2013 when UNH beat Maine for the Musket and then had to beat lowly Lafayette to go back to Maine a week later. Maybe im missing things, but I feel like that never used to happen, now its the norm.

Well, not exactly - UNH won the regular season game at home and had to travel to the seeded Maine in the playoffs. It would have been the same thing if they made UR play Duquesne and then travel to W&M. :)

It's all ridiculous. You could easily juggle those 8 first round games and avoid rematches in the first two rounds.

Tribal
November 23rd, 2015, 11:57 AM
W&M had several key players out against UR and it's hard to get healthy when your frickin bye week was week 3. We really needed to beat UR to get a much needed week off. That sucks.

UR looked really good but I guarantee we look better in the rematch...Cluley threw 2 picks all season then matched that Saturday. That won't happen again.

Really pleased W&M, UNH, UR, and JMU are still alive but it does suck that at least 2 have zero chance of playing more than a game or two.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

AmsterBison
November 23rd, 2015, 12:53 PM
If SDSU beats Montana, that will mean NDSU's first playoff game will be against SDSU for third time in four years. That's freaking ridiculous.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 23rd, 2015, 12:59 PM
If SDSU beats Montana, that will mean NDSU's first playoff game will be against SDSU for third time in four years. That's freaking ridiculous.

That's why I chose SHSU@Montana going to NDSU instead in my bracket. Either team wins, it's a great second-round story. If SDSU wins? Yawn.

JayJ79
November 23rd, 2015, 01:11 PM
I just wish they'd adopt a rule/guideline first/second round matches can't be repeats of the same pairings that occured in the previous year. Especially when those pairings involve conference-mates or schools that face each other every year anyway.

mix it up a bit. sheesh.

URMite
November 23rd, 2015, 01:24 PM
Hey, at least 1 of the 8 games is guaranteed to be both a nonconference game and a non rematch. Portland State...

JMUNJ08
November 23rd, 2015, 01:36 PM
Hey, at least 1 of the 8 games is guaranteed to be both a nonconference game and a non rematch. Portland State...

That is just completely sad... Doesn't really show how the conferences really stack up if they just beat each other up before meeting anyone new...

MacThor
November 23rd, 2015, 03:44 PM
It's not rocket science. They could fix this easily:

1) No conference re-matches until the round of 8.
2) Seed your top 8
3) Pick your top 6 At Large and your 10 AQ's (obviously the 8 seeds are in this group) and regionalize the round of 16 as best you can, given rule #1.
4) Pull the 8 non-seeded teams from step 3 back into the first round, and regionalize their opponents as best you can given rule #1.

ZableNoise
November 23rd, 2015, 05:23 PM
I love the rematch. Saturday left me seeing red and now I only have to wait two weeks for redemption.

Terry2889
November 23rd, 2015, 05:57 PM

That score should have actually been a lot closer. Some questionable coaching calls and a horrific blocked punt put the game away for the Tribe. If they were to play again it would most likely be much closer. Tribe is still a TD better though (At least).

tribefan40
November 23rd, 2015, 09:46 PM
That score should have actually been a lot closer. Some questionable coaching calls and a horrific blocked punt put the game away for the Tribe. If they were to play again it would most likely be much closer. Tribe is still a TD better though (At least).

Laf. We're (at least) 16 points better. You guys got owned. We were on auto pilot in the second half and your offense mustered all of 11 points.

I'm all for revisionist history, but why don't UNH posters focus on the strong finish and the fact that you got in to the field? UNH has as good a shot as any on their side of the bracket, IMO.

TypicalTribe
November 24th, 2015, 08:14 AM
I'm all for revisionist history, but why don't UNH posters focus on the strong finish and the fact that you got in to the field? UNH has as good a shot as any on their side of the bracket, IMO.

I couldn't agree more with this. Be happy you got in, because with an average computer ranking of around 40, you really shouldn't have. Going 7-4 against the easiest CAA in-conference schedule in recent years isn't saying much.

That being said, after the scrimmage this weekend, I hope UNH goes to Harrisonburg and knock off the Dukes.

Mattymc727
November 24th, 2015, 09:51 AM
Christ, here we go again. Whats up with these Tribe fans with a stick up their butt about UNH again? It will be nice when Richmond takes them to the woodshed again. Sure, its lame to try and go back and say UNH should have had a better game against the Tribe. But thats equally as lame as Tribe posters saying the same thing for their showing against Richmond. Hypocrisy at its finest.

MacThor
November 24th, 2015, 04:29 PM
If anyone should have a stick up our butt about UNH, it's Richmond fans, since we never seem to beat the 'cats!

Tribe4SF
November 25th, 2015, 01:12 PM
Christ, here we go again. Whats up with these Tribe fans with a stick up their butt about UNH again? It will be nice when Richmond takes them to the woodshed again. Sure, its lame to try and go back and say UNH should have had a better game against the Tribe. But thats equally as lame as Tribe posters saying the same thing for their showing against Richmond. Hypocrisy at its finest.

It's all lame. Beat Duquesne! Beat Colgate! Then we'll see what happens.