PDA

View Full Version : The Citadel at Coastal Carolina

ElCid
November 22nd, 2015, 04:14 PM
Going to be a good one. Both teams are probably itching for a rematch against CSU.

CCU had a slight edge in Offense yards per game and the Dogs have the edge on Defensive yards allowed per game. CCU also has a slight edge in both points scored and allowed.

CCU also has an edge in red zone scoring which the Dogs have struggled with lately.

I think the key for CCU will obviously be whether they can stop the Dogs running game and for The Citadel whether they can disrupt the CCU QB enough with some pressure as well as contain their RB stud. They are a fairly balance O.

The Gamecocks came close to slowing down The Citadel's running game but thankfully we kept pounding and adjusted just enough. Something we did not do against CSU earlier in the year. If the Dogs can tire out the CCU D they could take control. If CCU gets the early lead like they did last year, and like UTC did this year, might be a long game. But the Dogs are doing better while trailing now than they used to. For a running team they can strike quickly in addition to grinding it out. I know CCU can produce the big plays.

As always I think special teams will obviously be important. Could be won on a big return or long kick.

Not making a prediction yet. Dogs are obviously on a high right now. Sagarin and Massey both have it about a 1 point game for CCU.

I think I will be there as its Thanksgiving on the Isle of Palms for me.

BisonTru
November 22nd, 2015, 04:34 PM
I think I picked Coastal to make the championship at the beginning of the year. I really like Moglia and his line of thought, but as the results come in each week I continue to be disappointed.

I think The Citadel takes this one.

ElCid
November 22nd, 2015, 06:38 PM
I think I picked Coastal to make the championship at the beginning of the year. I really like Moglia and his line of thought, but as the results come in each week I continue to be disappointed.

I think The Citadel takes this one.

Well I certainly hope so. But not having been in the playoffs in quite a while, I am not sure how the team will react. CCU has some experience in that lately. Also, having such an emotional win this week is a wildcard as well. Sure hope the coaches channel it in the right direction. Our coaches do have a lot of Div II playoff experience.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 22nd, 2015, 06:41 PM
After beating the Gamecocks, I'm rooting for The Citadel all the way to the finals!!!

xthumbsupx

Mocs123
November 22nd, 2015, 06:41 PM
Go El Cid!! Beat Coastal Carolina and Charleston Southern and Hopefully we meat in the quarterfinals on December 11/12.

rokamortis
November 22nd, 2015, 06:42 PM
Here's to a good game.

I have no idea what to really think of this game.

The Citadel has momentum from the big SC win but could that cause a hangover?

Coastal is coming in licking its wounds - will they come in focused and ready to play or ready to end the season?

Coastal's played a couple of option teams this year, will it be enough experience to slow down The Citadel's version?

Can Coastal get its offense going again? It stalled in the second half at Liberty which I feel is the primary reason we lost.

ElCid
November 22nd, 2015, 07:00 PM
Here's to a good game.

I have no idea what to really think of this game.
The Citadel has momentum from the big SC win but could that cause a hangover?

Coastal is coming in licking its wounds - will they come in focused and ready to play or ready to end the season?

Coastal's played a couple of option teams this year, will it be enough experience to slow down The Citadel's version?

Can Coastal get its offense going again? It stalled in the second half at Liberty which I feel is the primary reason we lost.

You could realistically switch these and I would not be surprised. We will see who overcomes their emotions best.

Where are the visitor seat usually up there? Is it sections 101, 102, 103? Got to get my tickets. How do you think your turnout will be on the holiday weekend?

rokamortis
November 22nd, 2015, 07:10 PM
You could realistically switch these and I would not be surprised. We will see who overcomes their emotions best.

Where are the visitor seat usually up there? Is it sections 101, 102, 103? Got to get my tickets. How do you think your turnout will be on the holiday weekend?

Visitor sections for this game are 101-103 and I believe the Citade is selling those so you can't order from Coastal's site. I saw some discussion on your board about people buying in other sections - they would be wise to buy from The Citadel to ensure they sit with your contingent. Every other section may have season ticket holders but if they want to buy from Coastal then go with 104 closest to 103.

This is just a rough weekend for a game since it is the tail end of our fall break and the holiday travel. I'm hoping that with the schools being close that we'll have a strong crowd overall.

ElCid
November 22nd, 2015, 07:59 PM
Visitor sections for this game are 101-103 and I believe the Citade is selling those so you can't order from Coastal's site. I saw some discussion on your board about people buying in other sections - they would be wise to buy from The Citadel to ensure they sit with your contingent. Every other section may have season ticket holders but if they want to buy from Coastal then go with 104 closest to 103.

This is just a rough weekend for a game since it is the tail end of our fall break and the holiday travel. I'm hoping that with the schools being close that we'll have a strong crowd overall.

Thanks!

ElCid
November 22nd, 2015, 08:01 PM
One down, one to go.:D

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21864&stc=1

JSUSoutherner
November 22nd, 2015, 08:07 PM
Go El Cid!! Beat Coastal Carolina and Charleston Southern and Hopefully we meat in the quarterfinals on December 11/12.
Gross.

One down, one to go.:D

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21864&stc=1

He looks so enthusiastic. lol But really, on the way to the championship you actually have two to go. ;)

CasualFan
November 22nd, 2015, 08:09 PM
Nice find ElCid! I'm hoping it's more like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocJ1GTnmO-w

Congrats on the big win. Hoping for a good game on Saturday.

ElCid
November 22nd, 2015, 08:10 PM

Too funny.

PantherRob82
November 22nd, 2015, 08:11 PM
El Cit by 7 is my early gut

JSUSoutherner
November 22nd, 2015, 08:14 PM

xlmaox

TheRevSFA
November 22nd, 2015, 08:23 PM
I think the Dogs make a run to the semis.

Good luck vs the beach chickens

JSUSoutherner
November 22nd, 2015, 08:25 PM
I think the Dogs make a run toward the semis and slip in the Snow in the Quarterfinals.

Good luck vs the beach chickens

I fixed that for ya. ;)

ElCid
November 22nd, 2015, 08:30 PM
Gross.

He looks so enthusiastic. lol But really, on the way to the championship you actually have two to go. ;)

Oh crap. I forgot about that.

How is this?

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21867&stc=1

JSUSoutherner
November 22nd, 2015, 08:32 PM

How is this?

I'm dying! LOL

Is there a "post of the year" competition? I'd like to nominate this. xlmaox

TheRevSFA
November 22nd, 2015, 08:47 PM

How is this?

Well done

SENOREIDA
November 22nd, 2015, 09:59 PM

How is this?

LMAO, that is pretty funny

CID1990
November 23rd, 2015, 07:23 AM
One thing is for sure...

With USC beating UNC and then us beating USC - if we lose the transitive property is going to be outrageous.

chattownmocs
November 23rd, 2015, 08:24 AM
I like the citadel in a tight game.

jmrepak
November 23rd, 2015, 11:57 AM
He has never lost to a Dog. I guess that's what Bennett meant when he didn't want any cats...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21873&stc=1

ElCid
November 23rd, 2015, 06:09 PM
He has never lost to a Dog. I guess that's what Bennett meant when he didn't want any cats...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21873&stc=1

Not bad. But only wimps go to the vet, at least that what my Dog says.

Milktruck74
November 23rd, 2015, 06:13 PM
Based on Momentum alone....I like the Dogs!!!!!

jmrepak
November 23rd, 2015, 06:28 PM
Not bad. But only wimps go to the vet, at least that what my Dog says.
Well I guess that makes the Citadel wimps. Please see first column second row. ;)

FUBeAR
November 23rd, 2015, 07:17 PM
Nothing against my alma mater, but CCU's D gave up over 5 yards/carry to FU this year...and FU avg'd about 3 yards/carry over the season.

Unless that was some kind of 1 game anomaly, I see El Cid's offense going thru CCU's D like a super-heated knife through melted butter, controlling the clock, and keeping the Beach Chickens O on the sidelines.

Bellhops 49
BeachCheekins 10

...and the Revitalized SoCon sends 2 teams on to Round 2....should have had 4 in the Playoffs!

jmrepak
November 23rd, 2015, 07:25 PM
Nothing against my alma mater, but CCU's D gave up over 5 yards/carry to FU this year...and FU avg'd about 3 yards/carry over the season.

Unless that was some kind of 1 game anomaly, I see El Cid's offense going thru CCU's D like a super-heated knife through melted butter, controlling the clock, and keeping the Beach Chickens O on the sidelines.

Bellhops 49
BeachCheekins 10
Really? You think that bad. Don't get me wrong, I'm picking my team so I'm biased, but you think they'll hang 49 on us and only give up 10? We haven't given up more than 35 all year and that was to you guys in the first game of the year. I believe Citadel will move the ball, but won't exceed 28-33 points. The question is what will our offense do. Our two losses this year came when the offense under performed and didn't put up 30+ points. If we move the ball well be fine, but if we stagnate for more than 10-15 mins of play time we will be in a race.

ElCid
November 24th, 2015, 09:48 PM
Well I am still dumbfounded about picking this game. I don't think it will anywhere near 49-10 though. I am thinking in the range of 31-27 Dogs, only to be the homer. Looking forward to a nice dive up Hwy 17 and a great game on Saturday. I think the Bulldog fans will be coming in numbers.

CitadelGrad
November 24th, 2015, 10:05 PM
Well I am still dumbfounded about picking this game. I don't think it will anywhere near 49-10 though. I am thinking in the range of 31-27 Dogs, only to be the homer. Looking forward to a nice dive up Hwy 17 and a great game on Saturday. I think the Bulldog fans will be coming in numbers.

The Citadel's allotment of tickets is already sold out. Heard a lot of us are buying tickets from Coastal.

jmrepak
November 24th, 2015, 10:07 PM
I am gambling on winning the game because I have to work this weekend. I'll miss the first 20-30 minutes of game time because of it l, but I don't want to switch because I'd like a chance to go next weekend if we are able to win.

At this point it will come down to whether or not our offense shows up all the way through the playoffs. Our defense plays in fits and spurts, but overall performs on average and step up when it matters. However, in both games we lost the offense tanked and the play calling was not the same as the norm. I think it's a tight game, but the team to break 30 wins. If they both break 30 it will come down to home team <Teal Glasses>.

JayJ79
November 24th, 2015, 11:10 PM
I know one of the guys that works in the sports dept. of the local paper here, and he had me proofread/spotcheck his FCS playoff schedule/listings.

The one thing I had him change was making it "The Citadel". you're welcome.

citdog
November 24th, 2015, 11:22 PM
I know one of the guys that works in the sports dept. of the local paper here, and he had me proofread/spotcheck his FCS playoff schedule/listings.

well done Sir!

ElCid
November 25th, 2015, 04:32 AM

Nice! What a guy!

JayJ79
November 25th, 2015, 05:18 AM
I can understand you guys insisting on the "The", as it is part of the official name.
However, Ohio State can take their "the" and shove it in the buckeye.

CID1990
November 25th, 2015, 06:02 AM

If our offense scores over 30 points you can chalk up a W.

For this offense to possess the ball for over 30 points means CCU will be having turnover troubles.

CID1990
November 25th, 2015, 06:04 AM
I am gambling on winning the game because I have to work this weekend. I'll miss the first 20-30 minutes of game time because of it l, but I don't want to switch because I'd like a chance to go next weekend if we are able to win.

At this point it will come down to whether or not our offense shows up all the way through the playoffs. Our defense plays in fits and spurts, but overall performs on average and step up when it matters. However, in both games we lost the offense tanked and the play calling was not the same as the norm. I think it's a tight game, but the team to break 30 wins. If they both break 30 it will come down to home team <Teal Glasses>.

I think your game against Kennesaw State is much more telling in predicting how CCU will play against us than the losses to Liberty or CSU.

FUBeAR
November 25th, 2015, 07:16 AM
Our defense plays in fits and spurts

This will not do. In the game against Mercer, the 3rd Team NG for the Bears (2nd Team was out with a concussion from the prior week) made a mental error and slanted to the 'wrong' A-Gap leaving the playside A-Gap uncovered. The LB, with playside B-Gap responsibility, was a step late in getting there...and El Cid's FB went 83 yards untouched all the way to King Street. That was about the only mental mistake that Mercer's D made that day and the Bellhops MADE THEM PAY. That play, while it was late in the 1st half, was the key play and the turning point in the game. Any inconsistency on D will be painfully exploited by The Citadel's O. No mental errors, extreme discipline, and consistent physical execution is the only way to stop that O...unless they beat themselves by putting the ball on the ground.

AmsterBison
November 25th, 2015, 07:28 AM
Very interesting game. I love watching the option (as long as it's not my team playing against it.)

Coastal really defended the outside well against Liberty, but can they stick to their assignments on the option?

bodoyle
November 25th, 2015, 09:24 AM
I think CCU is prepared for the triple option as this will be the third team they have faced that runs a variation on it (KSU and CSUcks). I think they will be prepared. I think CCU just needs to do what they did all year up until the complete offensive play calling brain fart against liberty. If we do what we normally do, we win.

El Cid - are you coming? If so, stop by our tailgate. By the library near the Bronze parking area.

FUBeAR
November 25th, 2015, 09:56 AM
I think CCU is prepared for the triple option as this will be the third team they have faced that runs a variation on it (KSU and CSUcks). I think they will be prepared.

Bellhops version of T/O is not the same as those....KSU's version is much closer to El Cid's than CSU's...but even KSU's version is 'new wave' compared to The Citadel's. Very old school option - Inside Veer, Outside Veer, Mid-Line - Wing-T concepts with Sally (counter), etc...run from almost a T-formation usually, as opposed to a double-slot / wing formation as old GaSou, GT, Navy, and KSU run or a multiple formation like CSU, Woffy, new GaSou runs. All about the GRIND, staying on schedule, and counting on any 1 or 2 of your 11 making a mistake before they get behind the chains or put it on the ground.

ElCid
November 25th, 2015, 12:54 PM
I think CCU is prepared for the triple option as this will be the third team they have faced that runs a variation on it (KSU and CSUcks). I think they will be prepared. I think CCU just needs to do what they did all year up until the complete offensive play calling brain fart against liberty. If we do what we normally do, we win.

El Cid - are you coming? If so, stop by our tailgate. By the library near the Bronze parking area.

I am, I will look for you.

Go...gate
November 25th, 2015, 03:24 PM
I'm going with The Citadel, 31 - 21.

CID1990
November 25th, 2015, 03:24 PM

I've seen KSU twice on TV and they are much closer to us than CSU. But they are much slower and there's a lot less hanky panky with their offense.

You will have to stop our B back to win. Right now the mesh between our interior O line and our B back is as good as I have ever seen it in any El Cid team- including 1992. I don't know what to expect from CCU's defense, but I know the Columbia Chanticleers couldn't stop it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NDSUtk
November 25th, 2015, 03:47 PM
The Citadel's allotment of tickets is already sold out. Heard a lot of us are buying tickets from Coastal.

I wonder if Coastal Carolina's message board is exploding over this like when NDSU fans started signing up for ISUr's tickets in Frisco :) It was quite the funny read to hear their fans flipping out.

That said - I'm picking The Citadel 31-27.

bodoyle
November 25th, 2015, 04:53 PM
Bellhops version of T/O is not the same as those....KSU's version is much closer to El Cid's than CSU's...but even KSU's version is 'new wave' compared to The Citadel's. Very old school option - Inside Veer, Outside Veer, Mid-Line - Wing-T concepts with Sally (counter), etc...run from almost a T-formation usually, as opposed to a double-slot / wing formation as old GaSou, GT, Navy, and KSU run or a multiple formation like CSU, Woffy, new GaSou runs. All about the GRIND, staying on schedule, and counting on any 1 or 2 of your 11 making a mistake before they get behind the chains or put it on the ground.
Don't forget, CCU played El Cid last year so they have seen this version as well.

jmrepak
November 25th, 2015, 04:58 PM
I wonder if Coastal Carolina's message board is exploding over this like when NDSU fans started signing up for ISUr's tickets in Frisco :) It was quite the funny read to hear their fans flipping out.

That said - I'm picking The Citadel 31-27.
We aren't exploding about it on the message boards at all. Honestly, the after Thanksgiving game is terrible for attendance because we have over 50% out of state students that go home for the holiday break. It doesn't help that the biggest/oldest rivalry in the state happens the same day and the game time is at 2. Honestly, I don't expect more than 6,000 at this game overall, but its pretty impressive that the Citadel is going to have a showing that well. I still like us in a race to 30+ at home, but the more tickets the Citadel buys, the more of a toss up it becomes.

NDSUtk
November 25th, 2015, 05:12 PM
We aren't exploding about it on the message boards at all. Honestly, the after Thanksgiving game is terrible for attendance because we have over 50% out of state students that go home for the holiday break. It doesn't help that the biggest/oldest rivalry in the state happens the same day and the game time is at 2. Honestly, I don't expect more than 6,000 at this game overall, but its pretty impressive that the Citadel is going to have a showing that well. I still like us in a race to 30+ at home, but the more tickets the Citadel buys, the more of a toss up it becomes.
Yeah I didn't think you would. I just wanted to poke the ISU fans a bit.

knucklehead
November 25th, 2015, 05:43 PM

Looked like Liberty's DC had a great game plan to me. CCU couldn't run (except 1 huge play), and had to resort to passing like crazy.

And since LU struggled to run well this year and ran pretty well up the middle on CCU, I'd run run run if I were El Cid.

Citadel 31 CCU 28

jsnow84
November 25th, 2015, 08:04 PM
I see a 7-10 point win for the Citadel. The wild card will be how much the win over SC will effect them. I suspect CCU will come out very determined after their loss to LU. CCU played a very weak schedule and lost to the two "toughest" teams of the year. They really don't look like a very good team this year, retaliative to the last couple of years. That being said, I believe the team that wins this game will beat CSU. There could be more Citadel fans at this game than CCU fans. CCU draws very poorly for a consistent top 20 team. Record attendance 10,000?....................................embarra ssing, but the community is not conducive to big crowds.

jmrepak
November 25th, 2015, 08:30 PM
I see a 7-10 point win for the Citadel. The wild card will be how much the win over SC will effect them. I suspect CCU will come out very determined after their loss to LU. CCU played a very weak schedule and lost the two "toughest" teams of the year. They really don't look like a very good team this year, retaliative to the last couple of years. That being said, I believe the team that wins this game will beat CSU. There could be more Citadel fans at this game than CCU fans. CCU draws very poorly for a consistent top 20 team. Record attendance 10,000?....................................embarra ssing, but the community is not conducive to big crowds.
I will agree that our team this year is not as good as the last two. Our offense is lacking a little chemistry in the passing game and a lot of that has to do with Alex's ankle effecting his accuracy. It's better now but was off most of the season. The other issue has been playing calling. In both games that we lost it felt like we abandoned the running game (definitely did against Liberty with our all star running back only getting 11 touches and his equally good but bigger backup getting 0). However, the bigger problem all year has been on defense. We've got issues in the secondary with soft coverage and assignments as well as too many people playing the ball instead of their assignments. I think that has to do with not having a real team leader on D. I think we have a few great players including Jabari Bothwell, but no one you can point to and call the leader like in previous years. I don't know that what we have as a team is national championship caliber, but I see it as good enough to get to the quarters for sure.

Just an FYI that the record attendance is the current max and was set in back to back games to start the year. We sold out SRO the first two games this year and had to cut off sales at 10311 both times (they were turning away the walk up crowd that numbered anywhere from 3-500). Homecoming was the next game and happened during a 100-year storm so we only sold 9093. We would have sold that out as well if not for the weather because it's Homecoming. The next game was during the 1000-year flood and sold 8039 tickets. No excuse for the next two games. Our students were great this year for night games, but they suck for day games and we only did 8422 and 8802 because of it.

jmrepak
November 25th, 2015, 08:35 PM
Looked like Liberty's DC had a great game plan to me. CCU couldn't run (except 1 huge play), and had to resort to passing like crazy.

And since LU struggled to run well this year and ran pretty well up the middle on CCU, I'd run run run if I were El Cid.

Citadel 31 CCU 28
I disagree with your game plan shutting down our run. Our OC and HC agreed that their play calling was s---. We only tried to run with Hop 11 times and none with Osh. You guys stacked the box pretty consistently, but that shouldn't have precluded us from continuing to chew up 3-5 yards at a time. We should have run the ball at least 2-3 times more than we did.

CitadelGrad
November 25th, 2015, 09:17 PM
Don't forget, CCU played El Cid last year so they have seen this version as well.

Not really. That was the first game of last season and it was this current coaching staff's first game at El Cid. The offense we ran that day was far less developed and far less sophisticated than the version we are running now. Also, our defense is exponentially better than it was last year.

CID1990
November 26th, 2015, 12:01 AM

Honestly, we really hope that is what your players and coaches are thinking

Moglia's better than that though- he's seen the film

FUBeAR
November 26th, 2015, 12:55 AM
Not really. That was the first game of last season and it was this current coaching staff's first game at El Cid. The offense we ran that day was far less developed and far less sophisticated than the version we are running now. Also, our defense is exponentially better than it was last year.

True - I went to the Bellhops Spring game before the 2014 season and the O looked horrible - put it on the ground about 15 times and had 2 men in motion so often that the refs stopped calling it on them just to keep things moving. Much more consistent late last year and this year. True about the D also. I said, before the season, that El Cid had A LOT of players to replace on a D that wasn't too bad in 2014, but 'worried' that the players they were going to replace them with were better than the ones they had. They sure were. D is much more aggressive and active than in 2014 and overall speed on D is much improved. Coaches and Players have done a GREAT job down there. Mercer will beat them next year; and won't lose on a failed 2-PT conversion as they did the past 2 years xnodx; but the Bellhops DO have a darn good football team.

PantherRob82
November 26th, 2015, 01:41 AM
I disagree with your game plan shutting down our run. Our OC and HC agreed that their play calling was s---. We only tried to run with Hop 11 times and none with Scotch. You guys stacked the box pretty consistently, but that shouldn't have precluded us from continuing to chew up 3-5 yards at a time. We should have run the ball at least 2-3 times more than we did.

FIFY :D

Winindy
November 26th, 2015, 06:31 AM
I fear a let down after last week. I think CCU is going to take this one. Hope I'm wrong.

longtimemocfan
November 26th, 2015, 09:48 AM
If The Citadel play's the way they did during conference play I can see them getting past CCU by a slim margin. They are very hard to stop. 3 or 4 yards at least evey snap. Then just when you think you got their offense somewhat contained, they pop the fullback up the gut for a long touchdown run.

Milktruck74
November 26th, 2015, 12:32 PM
First down will be the key for The Citadel. If they can have 2nd and 6 or 5, they will keep moving the ball...get behind the chains and they have a hard time catching back up......I'm going to say a 5 TD to 4 TD game....Just not sure which team gets the 5????? the SoCon homer is pulling for the Dogs, but........

Milktruck74
November 26th, 2015, 12:34 PM

And that is a FACT....Not the same Team as last year... Houston is a GREAT coach....Absolutely deserved Coach of the Year honors!!!!

Mocs123
November 26th, 2015, 06:37 PM
I am pulling for The Citadel to beat CCU and CSU.

If they don't have a letdown after the huge win last week they are capable of winning both games.

The SoCon needs both UTC and The Citadel to win at least a game each.

Milktruck74
November 26th, 2015, 07:29 PM
I am pulling for The Citadel to beat CCU and CSU.

If they don't have a letdown after the huge win last week they are capable of winning both games.

The SoCon needs both UTC and The Citadel to win at least a game each.

True. SoCon gets at least 2 wins...I almost want to say 3...... if we get three, I can see a few more!!!!

bodoyle
November 27th, 2015, 11:19 AM
Here is my write-up: http://www.coastalfans.com/ccu-football-ncaa-playoffs-round-1-opponent-citadel-bulldogs/

CasualFan
November 28th, 2015, 12:45 PM
Just saw an NDSU golf shirt in the stadium. Put two and two together (about ten steps later) and thought it might be a southern bison sighting. Too late, I looked around and lost him.

Bisonoline
November 28th, 2015, 01:05 PM
OMG is that field bad. Oh the announcers are MR Excitement. LOL

BisonFan02
November 28th, 2015, 01:06 PM
Yeah......I'm not gonna make it long watching this game. That field is hideous.

Bison56
November 28th, 2015, 01:08 PM
CCU through a pick The Cid in great field position.

BisonFan02
November 28th, 2015, 01:10 PM
Touchdown THE.........Citadel Bulldogs.

Pards Rule
November 28th, 2015, 01:12 PM
Score? Time?

Nickels
November 28th, 2015, 01:15 PM
OMG! Just tuned into this game. EWWW ****ING EWWW. Field makes this **** unwatchable.

Bison56
November 28th, 2015, 01:16 PM
91 td pass and catch by CCU. 7-7

- - - Updated - - -

OMG! Just tuned into this game. EWWW ****ING EWWW. Field makes this **** unwatchable.
Have to wear shades.

kdinva
November 28th, 2015, 01:20 PM
CCU's live stats down?

PantherRob82
November 28th, 2015, 01:22 PM
First time seeing The Citadel. I'm digging it.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 28th, 2015, 01:22 PM

This here!

aaughhg!

Pards Rule
November 28th, 2015, 01:23 PM
Is this still due to the floods etc there back in October? Where is it being played?

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 28th, 2015, 01:24 PM
Love watching the triple option or veer....xthumbsupx

PantherRob82
November 28th, 2015, 01:25 PM
I had this game as 24-21, might have picked too low.

Bison56
November 28th, 2015, 01:27 PM
Long drive by the Cid, CCUs d will be exhausted if this keeps up. My pick is 24-21 The Cid.

Bison56
November 28th, 2015, 01:30 PM
Someone needs to calm down the color commentator.

Schism55
November 28th, 2015, 01:32 PM
Citadel is fun as heck to watch.
That field, good grief.

CitadelGrad
November 28th, 2015, 01:33 PM
I don't think El Cid is going to give up a lot of 91-yard TD passes. I don't think Coastal has any idea how to stop our triple option.

TheKingpin28
November 28th, 2015, 01:34 PM
I had El Cid 30-17. I truly believe that the Dogs Defense will step up and Ranue (I hope I spelled that right) will run all over them

BisonFan02
November 28th, 2015, 01:34 PM
I don't think El Cid is going to give up a lot of 91-yard TD passes. I don't think Coastal has any idea how to stop our triple option.

Coastal is going to be physically whipped by the second half. A few stops by the Bulldogs would start the crumbling of CCU.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 28th, 2015, 01:35 PM
This is going to be a great game. Ross is a tough SOB....

Bison56
November 28th, 2015, 01:38 PM
Another long drive and the beach chickens D will be gassed.

Bison56
November 28th, 2015, 01:41 PM
CCUs D is getting slashed.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 28th, 2015, 01:43 PM
CCU recovers a fumble! They need to string together some first downs....

Bison56
November 28th, 2015, 01:43 PM
Turnover CCU gets the ball. They needed that.

CitadelGrad
November 28th, 2015, 01:45 PM
We can stop our offense with turnovers, but it looks like Coastal can't. Gotta hold on to the ball.

Southern Bison
November 28th, 2015, 01:48 PM
Just saw an NDSU golf shirt in the stadium. Put two and two together (about ten steps later) and thought it might be a southern bison sighting. Too late, I looked around and lost him.
Nope...I'm in New Orleans for the weekend after going to the Panthers win on Thanksgiving (11-0 Baby!)

I can be sighted tonight at the Texas A&M/LSU game.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

kdinva
November 28th, 2015, 02:01 PM
Is this still due to the floods etc there back in October? Where is it being played?

the floods had nothing to do with where the committee placed this game, in Conway, SC. don't adjust your TV.

kdinva
November 28th, 2015, 02:02 PM
8:00 in the 2nd, Goins just missed a 47 yd FG......14-14

CitadelGrad
November 28th, 2015, 02:04 PM
We had a better chance of picking up the first down than hitting a 47-yd FG. Shoulda gone for it.

kdinva
November 28th, 2015, 02:07 PM
And CCU's Henderson just went 51 yards untouched thru the A-gap, 21-14.

kdinva
November 28th, 2015, 02:17 PM
Dogs drive to the CCU five, but on 4th and 1, QB sneak is 4 inches short......

CitadelGrad
November 28th, 2015, 02:21 PM
We are killing ourselves. Need to play a much cleaner second half. We do get the ball to start the second.

kdinva
November 28th, 2015, 02:26 PM
after a short CCU punt, Dogs drive it to the five, but with 10 seconds to play, a sideline pass is caught, inbounds, at the 12 inch line...............time runs out........a potential 17 points not scored by Citadel in 2nd quarter.....

Pards Rule
November 28th, 2015, 02:30 PM
the floods had nothing to do with where the committee placed this game, in Conway, SC. don't adjust your TV.

Im not in position to watch...Do they have one of those hideous colored fieldturf scenarios??

CID1990
November 28th, 2015, 02:30 PM
We were our own worst enemy in the 1st half.

Hopefully we can clean things up and also get a takeaway or two.

kdinva
November 28th, 2015, 02:31 PM
Im not in position to watch...Do they have one of those hideous colored fieldturf scenarios??

the turf is teal/turquoise color.......just "Google" CCU/Brooks Stadium image.

SENOREIDA
November 28th, 2015, 02:33 PM
Poor clock management by The Citadel to end the half

jmrepak
November 28th, 2015, 02:34 PM
This game has lived up to its billing. Great offense and a little bit of D thrown in from both teams. Can't believe The Citadel blew their clock management there but I'll take it. We need one stop in the 3rd qtr to put this game where I was looking for in our favor. 5 TD's to 4 final.

Very good crowd today from both Coastal and El Cid. The students are a no show, but that's not surprising. They're all out of town for the holidays and with a 50% out of state rate and the majority of those Northeast based I'm not surprised.

As far as our D goes they're not great but they're coming up with plays when it matters and they've only given up 1 score (the pick returned within the 10 isn't on them). Looking forward to the 2nd half.

PantherRob82
November 28th, 2015, 02:54 PM
The Citadel seems like they are really blowing this one. That said, tie game

CitadelGrad
November 28th, 2015, 02:56 PM
Dogs did what they needed to do with a long drive for a TD to open the second half. 21-21.

Pards Rule
the turf is teal/turquoise color.......just "Google" CCU/Brooks Stadium image.

Ugh! That was a mistake! Barf!

Schism55
Hideous is a massive understatement

SENOREIDA
November 28th, 2015, 03:03 PM
Personally the teal looks awesome

jmrepak
November 28th, 2015, 03:08 PM
Haven't had the stop I was looking for yet. Those cut blocks are killer on the knees though. Hopefully Jabari is alright.

dewey
November 28th, 2015, 03:11 PM
Personally the teal looks awesome

I actually don't think it is too bad. It is nothing like the Eastern Washington or Central Arkansas fields now those freaking hurt the eyes.

Dewey

CitadelGrad
November 28th, 2015, 03:17 PM
Where the hell are the replay guys? The Citadel just had an interception taken from them.

SENOREIDA
November 28th, 2015, 03:27 PM
Where the hell are the replay guys? The Citadel just had an interception taken from them.
Incomplete pass, but nice try

kdinva
November 28th, 2015, 03:32 PM
Goins hits from 49........ Dogs up 31-28, 13:55 to go.

Drblankstare
November 28th, 2015, 03:32 PM
I really wish the color analyst would mumble more, I can almost hear him.

jmrepak
November 28th, 2015, 03:37 PM
It's not often that our offense starts costing us one on turnovers, but they are here. We need to secure the damn ball and drive one here.

thebootfitter
Ouch! Ross...

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

dewey
Big pick six by THE Citadel!

Dewey

IBleedYellow
November 28th, 2015, 03:38 PM
TOUCHDOWN THE CITADEL!

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Drblankstare
That is a huge play for the Dogs

kdinva
Pick six for elcid.........38-28.

Schism55
November 28th, 2015, 03:39 PM
Pick 6!!
Also, is the color commentator on a Quaalude drip?

Bisonoline
Coastal is nothing but a big play team from what Ive seen.

Drblankstare
This would eff up the top of my bracket for sure. Lol

Bisonoline
November 28th, 2015, 03:40 PM
Missed tackle geez

IBleedYellow
November 28th, 2015, 03:40 PM
This would eff up the top of my bracket for sure. Lol
I picked the Cadets. You dun goofed.

Drblankstare
November 28th, 2015, 03:42 PM
[QUOTE=IBleedYellow;2295884]I picked the Cadets. You dun goofed.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Wont be the 1st or last time for that.

thebootfitter
November 28th, 2015, 03:42 PM
Ouch! Ross...

Okay... He's redeeming himself a bit on this drive.

kdinva
November 28th, 2015, 03:45 PM
CCU quickly into the ElCid red zone, but a 3rd down QB sack forces CCU to attempt, and make a FG. 38-31; 10 minutes to go.

dewey
November 28th, 2015, 03:46 PM
Makes you wonder who can get a stop or 2 the rest of the way or does it to down to who has the ball last.

Dewey

CitadelGrad
November 28th, 2015, 03:47 PM
10 minutes left. If El Cid can pull off another long TD drive, Coastal won't have time to come back without a miracle. Coastal hasn't shown an ability to stop the option. El Cid can't give up another turnover.

Drblankstare
November 28th, 2015, 03:48 PM
That was one hell of block

kdinva
November 28th, 2015, 03:51 PM
Citadel punts, CCU again in Bulldog territory......

PantherRob82
November 28th, 2015, 03:53 PM
CCU with the bomb. Might come down to the last team with the ball.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 28th, 2015, 03:53 PM
TD CCU!!

kdinva
November 28th, 2015, 03:54 PM
CCU ties it at 38, 79 yard TD drive, about 5:20 to go.

Pards Rule
OMG this is going to the last minute!!

Bisonoline
Thats what Im thinking also.

Schism55
That was a clinic on how not to tackle

thebootfitter
What a run by Abercrombie for Coastal! Tied, pending the extra point.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 28th, 2015, 04:00 PM
what a block! Hope the CCU player is ok!

dewey
November 28th, 2015, 04:05 PM
How is the Citadel kicker? Anyone know?

Dewey

Drblankstare
November 28th, 2015, 04:06 PM
Just said he's good from 50.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 28th, 2015, 04:07 PM
How is the Citadel kicker? Anyone know?

Dewey

He has already kicked a 49 yard FG

dewey
November 28th, 2015, 04:08 PM
Just said he's good from 50.

Thanks. I am out deer hunting and just keeping track of the game via ESPN.

Dewey

kdinva
November 28th, 2015, 04:08 PM
Goins is the best in the SoCon, in spite of the voting earlier this week....

kdinva
November 28th, 2015, 04:10 PM
FG blocked, 80 seconds still for CCU.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 28th, 2015, 04:10 PM
Blocked! Ross has a short field and plenty of time!

grizband
November 28th, 2015, 04:11 PM
Coastal ruining my bracket with that block...had el Cid heading to the third round.

Drblankstare
November 28th, 2015, 04:12 PM
Thanks. I am out deer hunting and just keeping track of the game via ESPN.

Dewey

No problem, I'll take some deer sticks as my reward:D

Drblankstare
November 28th, 2015, 04:13 PM
Holy ****, this ending is bonkers.

Bison Fan in NW MN
wow...that was huge!

CC fumble

dewey
No problem, I'll take some deer sticks as my reward:D

With the way it is going I might be making tag soup instead:-)

Dewey

Go Lehigh TU owl
Ross fumbles, picked up by the Bulldogs!1

kdinva
November 28th, 2015, 04:14 PM
Citadel forces a Ross fumble, and recovers at the CCU 40, under 45 seconds.

Schism55
Huge play Cit D!!!!

grizband
The Citadel recovers a CCU fumble, gets the ball back with 44 seconds left...

dewey
wow...that was huge!

CC fumble

WTF is happening? Who's ball, where and how much time left?

Dewey

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 28th, 2015, 04:15 PM

Dewey

CC QB fumbled the ball at midfield

Drblankstare
November 28th, 2015, 04:15 PM

Dewey

Citadel recoverd a fumble at mid field. 27 secs left, they setting up for another long fg

grizband
November 28th, 2015, 04:16 PM
The Citadel spikes the ball to stop the clock...2nd and 10, from the CCU 30 yard line with 27 seconds left in the game.

Bison Fan in NW MN
Bulldogs kicking a FG to win it!!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
Bulldogs seem content to try another relatively long FG....

kdinva
November 28th, 2015, 04:17 PM
coming down to a 43 yard fg attempt........2 seconds to go.

dewey
The Citadel spikes the ball to stop the clock...2nd and 10, from the CCU 30 yard line with 27 seconds left in the game.

Wow! Sounds like an amazing game. Thanks for the updates guys.

Dewey

Bison Fan in NW MN
The Citadel wins!!

kdinva
November 28th, 2015, 04:18 PM
CITADEL 41, 1-A CCU 38!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
It's good!

grizband
Citadel calls a timeout with :02 left in the 4th quarter. 43 yard field goal attempt is good!

Citadel wins 41-38!!

IBleedYellow
Enjoy FBS Coastal. No more playoffs for you!

centennial
Wow. Much game.

JSUSoutherner
Congrats El Cid!

Schism55
Grats Citadel!

Drblankstare
Holy **** what an ending. The top half of my bracket is kindling. Great win for the Dogs

dewey
The Citadel wins!!

Wow! What an ending. Congratulations to the Citadel and good luck at Charleston Southern next weekend.

Dewey

AshevilleApp2
Woop!

BisonFan02
November 28th, 2015, 04:19 PM
Bye bye Coastal. Enjoy the Sunbelt.

kdinva
November 28th, 2015, 04:20 PM
Citadel with 524 rushing yards against this Defense.......the same offense that VMI held to one Touchdown last month......

Winindy
Holy **** what an ending. The top half of my bracket is kindling. Great win for the Dogs

Mine too. Couldn't be happier. What a game by the Dogs! Woot!

Mocs123
Congrats to The Citadel.

Way to win one for the SoCon. now go beat CSU!!!!

PantherRob82
Too many points, but I called the El Cit 3 point win

CitadelGrad
November 28th, 2015, 04:22 PM
I've got nothing left. Today was a bad day to stop shooting smack.

JSUSoutherner
November 28th, 2015, 04:24 PM
Too many points, but I called the El Cit 3 point win

I called them by a 4 point win. They both scored a lot more than I expected.

CID1990
November 28th, 2015, 04:26 PM
You know, when I turned on my TV this evening, I expected to see teal field turf, but the color on my TV must be wrong because it was the same beautiful green as the grass in beautiful General Johnson Hagood, CSA stadium.

Kidding aside, what a game! I knew we had a chance the way we were moving the ball, but when we went up by 10 I thought we had it in the bag. Both teams blew opportunities to take control of the game.

It is very gratifying to beat a team that sat at the top of the standings for so many weeks!

Good luck to CCU in the Sun Belt!

CID1990
November 28th, 2015, 04:28 PM
Citadel with 524 rushing yards against this Defense.......the same offense that VMI held to one Touchdown last month......

Every roo has his day lol

Stats mean nothing when El Cid and VMI play- you know that

kdinva
November 28th, 2015, 04:32 PM
Every roo has his day lol

Stats mean nothing when El Cid and VMI play- you know that

true, still that was a fine game three weeks ago.....

CID1990
November 28th, 2015, 04:36 PM
true, still that was a fine game three weeks ago.....

Believe me- I am still counting the lucky stars your QB was out.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 28th, 2015, 04:39 PM
How many teams run some form of option in the SoCon?

CID1990
November 28th, 2015, 04:53 PM

El Cid and Wofford.

VMI traditionally ran the option but with that stud QB they got away from it.

El Cid 80
November 28th, 2015, 04:56 PM
Heart stopping finish...

CID1990
November 28th, 2015, 05:19 PM
BTW can we trade SoCon refs for these PL refs? They missed a couple spots but otherwise they were purty gud

longtimemocfan
November 28th, 2015, 05:21 PM

Most of the formations we run are option oriented.

CID1990
November 28th, 2015, 05:36 PM
Most of the formations we run are option oriented.

Well that's true of several SoCon teams. I was referring to the teams that actually run a base option run offense

CasualFan
November 28th, 2015, 05:40 PM
Fun game to watch, even though I would rather my team kicked the field goal as time expired. Grats to the Citadel, the better team won. I can't tell you how demoralizing those five yard runs on first down were. Coastal's defense was it's Achilles heel, and your team exposed it.

jmrepak
November 28th, 2015, 05:48 PM
What a great game in Conway today. Great fans, great play by both teams and a good finish even if it was a heartbreaker for us. We had a bad D all year and it hit us every time it mattered. No self respecting homer is going to admit that while their team is still alive but I can say that now. We were awful on D and have been for 4 years. It just looked even worse this year because we lost our star LB to graduation last year and our safety Richie Sampson got hurt in preseason. Most fans are looking for the DC to be replaced and I would have to agree. It sucks that we don't have anything to play for next year but in looking forward to it all the same. Good luck the The Citadel. Normally I would pull for our Big South brethren here but since they've decided to push us to independence and drop us from at least half of the conference games next year Go Dogs.

bodoyle
November 28th, 2015, 05:53 PM
Props to the Citadel. Offensive shoot out. Just got home. Their fans were nothing but classy with the exception of two former football players who sat in someone else's seat at the start of the second half, right behind my friend next to me just to try and piss him off. They screamed and yelled, few plays later we scored and my friend turned around and yelled TOUCHDOWN. The two tools got pissed and started yelling and one shoved him trying to start a fight. Security came and moved them to their original seats. The two guys who sat behind me were good guys and so were the other Citadel fans. Good luck next week!

ElCid
November 28th, 2015, 06:51 PM
OMG. Just got back home. What a game. Have not even looked at the stats yet. Amazing that we won. I am still in shock that Coastal fumbled on their last drive. I have to still digest what the heck happened, but bring on CSU!

P.S. Coastal has a nice set up in Conway. Shame we may never go back. They were good hosts.

jsnow84
November 28th, 2015, 07:19 PM
It was a good game. Hate the Teal Turd Turf, that stuff is ugly to the bone. CCU has been overrated all year and the weak schedule finally caught up with them. The combined record of the teams that CCU beat was something like 20+ games under .500. As some have already said, CCU was pretty bad defensively and the turnovers hurt them very bad today.
I picked The Citadel to win the game by 7-10 points. After watching this game, I believe CSU has a good chance of beating ElCid. The Bulldog defensive secondary is horrible and CSU has a good balanced attack. El Cid will get their points with that solid running attack, but they are vulnerable to the CSU passing game. CSU has a better front 7 than the BeachChickens.
Hate to see the CCU QB go out with a loss. He is one tough guy and seems to be a real classy kid. I suspect CCU will now wallow in the bowels of the FBS basement for many years to come. They are making the move up, too soon and probably should have stayed FCS where they would have been competitive every year. But who knows.

bodoyle
November 28th, 2015, 07:51 PM
Ross tore a ligament in his left hand in the first half.

Go...gate
November 28th, 2015, 07:53 PM
Congratulations to The Citadel!

ETSUfan1
November 28th, 2015, 08:28 PM
Congratulations to The Citadel!

How do they pack all the fans into that high school stadium next weekend? Good luck Citadel and congrats.

ElCid
November 28th, 2015, 08:31 PM
The Bulldog defensive secondary is horrible and CSU has a good balanced attack. El Cid will get their points with that solid running attack, but they are vulnerable to the CSU passing game. CSU has a better front 7 than the BeachChickens.

CCU passing game is the best we have seen to date, including CSU, Samford, and USC. I am way more worried about CSU's running game. But you are right, our secondary was horrible today.

Schism55
November 28th, 2015, 08:35 PM
How do they pack all the fans into that high school stadium next weekend? Good luck Citadel and congrats.
Seriously. Char So have the worst stadium in fcs?

ElCid
November 28th, 2015, 08:39 PM

They should have at least moved it to Summerville HS if they didn't want to move it to the Citadel.

Milktruck74
November 28th, 2015, 08:39 PM

Says the guy who watches his team play in a ...... Well, a HIGH SCHOOL Stadium. Haha.

Milktruck74
November 28th, 2015, 08:42 PM
First down will be the key for The Citadel. If they can have 2nd and 6 or 5, they will keep moving the ball...get behind the chains and they have a hard time catching back up......I'm going to say a 5 TD to 4 TD game....Just not sure which team gets the 5????? the SoCon homer is pulling for the Dogs, but........

That part of my analysis makes me look like I might know what I'm talking about. I never saw the Citadel in a second and long situation. Way to stick with the game plan and grind out the win!

Tribal
November 28th, 2015, 08:54 PM
Nothing warms my heart more than to see a team do it the right way on and off the field, pull together, and win. The Citadel deserves to play next week.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

ETSUfan1
November 28th, 2015, 09:00 PM
Are you saying that Charleston Southern doesn't play in a high school stadium? It's pathetic. We are at least building a stadium.

ElCid
November 28th, 2015, 09:04 PM
That part of my analysis makes me look like I might know what I'm talking about. I never saw the Citadel in a second and long situation. Way to stick with the game plan and grind out the win!

That was huge. I loved seeing 2nd and 2, 2nd and 1. I really thought they could have tried a few more passes, but it did not matter ultimately. We dropped at least 1 we should have had. Overthrew one badly to a wide open rcvr. They never really had a consistent answer to our running game. Allen was very patient as well, letting the plays develop when needed.

knucklehead
November 28th, 2015, 09:19 PM
Such a joy to watch CCU lose 3 of their last 4 on the way out the FCS door. Bye.

BisonFan02
November 28th, 2015, 09:51 PM
Such a joy to watch CCU lose 3 of their last 4 on the way out the FCS door. Bye.

Yup....now they are ready to join their Sunbelt peers.... :D

ElCid
November 28th, 2015, 11:03 PM
Just watching the replay…I think it was fairly well officiated but it was real close in the 3rd at the 6:15 mark on whether it was incomplete or not. Interception if it did not hit the ground before popping out. They did not take very long to call it and they did not replay except once but it looked like the CCU rcvr kept it in hand. But as I said, it seemed to be fairly well called overall. It was a Patriot league officiating crew. Definitely better than the usual SOCON crew.

CID1990
November 29th, 2015, 04:49 AM
Just watching the replay…I think it was fairly well officiated but it was real close in the 3rd at the 6:15 mark on whether it was incomplete or not. Interception if it did not hit the ground before popping out. They did not take very long to call it and they did not replay except once but it looked like the CCU rcvr kept it in hand. But as I said, it seemed to be fairly well called overall. It was a Patriot league officiating crew. Definitely better than the usual SOCON crew.

Agreed. Wish we could do some PL-SoCon officiating trades.

The int that was ruled incomplete wasn't incomplete - it was an interception all the way. Had that ball landed back in the receiver's hands instead of the defender's, it would have been ruled a completion.

But here's the thing- I think it was better that CCU kept the ball at that juncture... they ran more plays and more time off the clock and they still didn't get point on that drive because we ultimately stripped the ball away from the RB

funny how thing turned out but for all we kniw that non-interception might have helped us

jmrepak
November 29th, 2015, 06:31 AM
The morning after and it could worse. I could be this guy (old news but still funny)...

https://twitter.com/ClemsonTom/status/668480470502518784

ElCid
November 29th, 2015, 07:58 AM
The morning after and it could worse. I could be this guy (old news but still funny)...

https://twitter.com/ClemsonTom/status/668480470502518784

You won't cry on us will you? Seriously it was a very exciting game. I thought we let it slip away late but kept plugging away. Still not sure how that ball got stripped late.

Milktruck74
November 29th, 2015, 08:09 AM
Are you saying that Charleston Southern doesn't play in a high school stadium? It's pathetic. We are at least building a stadium.

Yes you are, and a nice one. I live in Tangelwood, about 300 yards for SHHS stadium. After the first game (a Thursday night) there were 20+ minutes worth of fireworks, while the wife and I were in bed (early risers due to Ironman Training at that time) and the convo went like this:
Wife - (Startled) What's That?
Me- Fireworks for the ETSU game.
Her - Wow, they must have won.
Me - I doubt it, they were getting hammered by 4 or 5 TDs at the start of the 4th.
Her- Damn, What are they going do when they actually win????
Me - We may not find out this year.

Southern Bison
November 29th, 2015, 11:01 AM
I'd say yes...every HS in Charlotte, NC has a better facility. The visitor's stands are all old 10-row temporary stands.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk