PDA

View Full Version : Joe Glenn retiring

centennial
November 22nd, 2015, 03:48 PM
It's confirmed. Guess the rumors were true.

http://www.argusleader.com/story/sports/college/university-of-south-dakota/2015/11/22/usds-joe-glenn-retire/76224742/

No_Skill
November 22nd, 2015, 03:58 PM
Top notch, classy coach. There should be more like him in the mvfc.

I'm looking at you ysu.

Drblankstare
November 22nd, 2015, 03:59 PM
Hell of a career. Enjoy retirement

veinup
November 22nd, 2015, 04:01 PM
come to AGS coach!!!

FargoBison
November 22nd, 2015, 04:02 PM
He is leaving USD in a better place then he found it. I wonder if they hire Glenn Caruso out of St. Thomas.

centennial
November 22nd, 2015, 04:07 PM
He is leaving USD in a better place then he found it. I wonder if they hire Glenn Caruso out of St. Thomas.
They aren't much better than when he found them, however the MVFC has been a juggernaut. This years team is better than usual.

Daytripper
November 22nd, 2015, 05:50 PM
How appealing is that job for a D-II or top assistant coach? Not being sarcastic, just curious.

centennial
November 22nd, 2015, 06:55 PM
How appealing is that job for a D-II or top assistant coach? Not being sarcastic, just curious.
They are a relatively well off school with about $200 million endowment. Local support is okay, and the town is small. Do well and move up to the MAC, MW. It isn't the worst in the valley.

clenz
November 22nd, 2015, 09:34 PM
They are a relatively well off school with about $200 million endowment. Local support is okay, and the town is small. Do well and move up to the MAC, MW. It isn't the worst in the valley.
The issue is doing well there.

There are about 50 things working against USD. Though I could see how it would be attractive for an assistant or D2 looking to move up. I look at USD like I do Minnesota, Indiana, or Purdue in the B10. It's a gig with a chance to improve in one of the best conferences in the nation. Winning is nearly impossible, but even getting to a respectable level will get you bigger job offers.

It can also kill a career. Go there and fail. Great, you did exactly as bad as everyone else. You didn't prove anything to any other school looking for a new coach at that point.

RabidRabbit
November 22nd, 2015, 09:39 PM
I'd say WIU has been happy with 2 year results from former UM-Duluth (D-II) coach. USD won't stay down forever. They're only been eligible for 3 or 4 years now. Not everybody is a NDSU when move up.

FargoBison
November 22nd, 2015, 09:49 PM
USD should hire Carl Pelini....I want to see a Pelini brother throwdown.

But seriously I think they will land a solid DII or DIII coach.

clenz
November 22nd, 2015, 10:20 PM
On topic

Congrats on a great career Joe. Enjoy living life outside of football. You've earned whatever it is you're going to spend your time doing!xnodx

frozennorth
November 22nd, 2015, 10:23 PM
USD has a higher ceiling than many want to admit. They'll make the playoffs in the near future.

clenz
November 22nd, 2015, 10:25 PM
USD has a higher ceiling than many want to admit. They'll make the playoffs in the near future.
Sure.

How many stairs are between where they are and that ceiling?

A lot

Missingnumber7
November 22nd, 2015, 10:25 PM
Joe has done a great job of changing the mentality at USD, and it was evident this year. I hope that it continues. The league is definitely better with everyone competitive.

centennial
November 22nd, 2015, 11:10 PM
Sure.

How many stairs are between where they are and that ceiling?

A lot
It won't take much. I know they are hard to recruit to, however with the stipends coming things are going to change. UNI should consider them as well. This upcoming recruiting class at NDSU is at MAC level(probably the best ever IMO, we will see if it passes more than the eye test). The MVFC keeps becoming more competitive every year. Missouri State will get better, USD, ISUb have relatively. No gimmes at all.

BisonTru
November 22nd, 2015, 11:16 PM
It won't take much. I know they are hard to recruit to, however with the stipends coming things are going to change. UNI should consider them as well. This upcoming recruiting class at NDSU is at MAC level(probably the best ever IMO, we will see if it passes more than the eye test). The MVFC keeps becoming more competitive every year. Missouri State will get better, USD, ISUb have relatively. No gimmes at all.

JMO, but USD should recruit NE heavy. That state only has 1 D1 program, if they can identify the kids the huskers are missing on they could get some real talented kids in that program. I know NDSU, SDSU, and UNI are in that state as well, but distance from home is an advantage. Depends on the kid and his parents, but the ability to travel to games or for the kid to get back home can be a big deal to SOME recruits.

Franks Tanks
November 23rd, 2015, 07:59 AM
The issue is doing well there.

There are about 50 things working against USD. Though I could see how it would be attractive for an assistant or D2 looking to move up. I look at USD like I do Minnesota, Indiana, or Purdue in the B10. It's a gig with a chance to improve in one of the best conferences in the nation. Winning is nearly impossible, but even getting to a respectable level will get you bigger job offers.

It can also kill a career. Go there and fail. Great, you did exactly as bad as everyone else. You didn't prove anything to any other school looking for a new coach at that point.

Why is South Dakota such a bad gig? I understand geography, but plenty of their peer schools are in challenging locations as well, and seem to do just fine.

Hambone
November 23rd, 2015, 08:10 AM
I could also see them going the route of Kalen DeBoer.

clenz
November 23rd, 2015, 09:45 AM
Why is South Dakota such a bad gig? I understand geography, but plenty of their peer schools are in challenging locations as well, and seem to do just fine.
1. Vermillion. Imagine the worst college town you can think of and then cut the population in half and move it an hour away from any city with a population over 2K. Vermillion on it's own has a population of 10K. The town is identical to that of Storm Lake, IA, Pella, IA, Waverly, Ia, Decorah, IA, etc... What are those towns? towns with private D3 schools in Iowa.

2. Recruiting competition. Sioux Falls could be a hot bed for USD. SDSU is actually 10-15 minutes closer to Sioux Falls though. Between Sioux Falls (D2 in Sioux Falls), Augustana (D2 in Sioux Falls), Morningside (top NAIA in nation located in Sioux City), SDSU, NDSU, UNI, NW Missouri State, Northwestern (good NAIA in Orange City, IA...real close to SD boarder) there is so much competition for talent. They may land a largely sought after recruit, but USD isn't going to land enough to build any kind of depth. My thing with USD this year (documented on threads and the FCS Wedge) is the complete derth of talent top to bottom for USD. The top kids in NW Iowa and Sioux Falls area are going to SDSU, Sioux Falls, Northwestern, Augustana, Morningside, UNI or NDSU. There classmates also largely go to those schools. For a period of time 90%+ of my high schoolS graduates went to either USF or SDSU. It's pretty much always been that way - even when Sioux Falls was NAIA. USD gets kids that were "passed over" by those schools. Sometimes it works out - Tyler Starr for example. Starr wanted to go to UNI. One of his best friends (Jordan Gacke, who was an all conference LB at UNI) went to UNI. The reason he landed at USD? He was a troubled youth. He dicked around in school. He dicked out out of school. He had immense talent but didn't have his head on straight. He didn't get into UNI, so UNI was forced to pass. USD took a shot and admitted him. To his credit, once he got to USD he really worked to change who he was as a person and it worked out for him. How do I know this? I graduted with his brother. I played high school sports with him (remember, we went to the same high school of 110). We roomed together at a basketball camp. He was always a freak athlete and a nice kid, but had issues keeping focused, and out of trouble, in and out of school. This is also well documented in articles about him during his senior year. That's how he ended up at USD. I remember seeing him at 2 or 3 UNI games his senior year of HS (I was still in college and the recruit section is right next to the student section). Another perfect example is Issac Ales - who should/will be an All Conference DL for UNI this year. He commited to USD, who had offered him a full ride. UNI came in the day before signing day and offered him a partial and he instantly backed out of his commitment to USD to go to UNI. It's where/how USD falls on the charts.

3. They've been pretty bad with zero identity and culture for a while. Joe Glenn has changed some of the culture and attitude there. It was noticeable this year, but this plays right into point 2, and point 1. Recruits with talent are going to take similar/smaller offers to winning places over a place like USD has been, see the Issac Ales in point 2. If USD isn't smart with this hire anything Glenn had done will quickly disappear.

Along with Starr they've placed Tom Compton in the NFL in the last decade. The biggest issue is point #2, and it is so tough to overcome. They may have one or two real good players on their roster. The issue is the other 9 or 10 guys on that side of the ball that are starters would be role players/marginal starters at SDSU, NDSU, UNI, ISUr, and at this point WIU, ISUb, and SIU (though their record is bad).

Do they have the potential to be good? Yes, I can't, and won't, deny that.
Do they have a MASSIVE set of obstacles in front of them? Absolutely.

TheKingpin28
November 23rd, 2015, 10:08 AM
Hey Waverly IA has Mel's Diner and that place is awesome. Other than that, the town is horrible

clenz
November 23rd, 2015, 10:21 AM
Hey Waverly IA has Mel's Diner and that place is awesome. Other than that, the town is horrible
Lived there for a bit while going to Wartburg.

Every bit as nice as Vermillion - actually more enjoyable and only 15 min from Cedar Falls

waverly_panther
November 23rd, 2015, 10:24 AM
Not true. Mel's Diner hasn't been around for decades, so guessing you haven't been here in a while.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Franks Tanks
November 23rd, 2015, 10:33 AM
1. Vermillion. Imagine the worst college town you can think of and then cut the population in half and move it an hour away from any city with a population over 2K. Vermillion on it's own has a population of 10K. The town is identical to that of Storm Lake, IA, Pella, IA, Waverly, Ia, Decorah, IA, etc... What are those towns? towns with private D3 schools in Iowa.

2. Recruiting competition. Sioux Falls could be a hot bed for USD. SDSU is actually 10-15 minutes closer to Sioux Falls though. Between Sioux Falls (D2 in Sioux Falls), Augustana (D2 in Sioux Falls), Morningside (top NAIA in nation located in Sioux City), SDSU, NDSU, UNI, NW Missouri State, Northwestern (good NAIA in Orange City, IA...real close to SD boarder) there is so much competition for talent. They may land a largely sought after recruit, but USD isn't going to land enough to build any kind of depth. My thing with USD this year (documented on threads and the FCS Wedge) is the complete derth of talent top to bottom for USD. The top kids in NW Iowa and Sioux Falls area are going to SDSU, Sioux Falls, Northwestern, Augustana, Morningside, UNI or NDSU. There classmates also largely go to those schools. For a period of time 90%+ of my high schoolS graduates went to either USF or SDSU. It's pretty much always been that way - even when Sioux Falls was NAIA. USD gets kids that were "passed over" by those schools. Sometimes it works out - Tyler Starr for example. Starr wanted to go to UNI. One of his best friends (Jordan Gacke, who was an all conference LB at UNI) went to UNI. The reason he landed at USD? He was a troubled youth. He dicked around in school. He dicked out out of school. He had immense talent but didn't have his head on straight. He didn't get into UNI, so UNI was forced to pass. USD took a shot and admitted him. To his credit, once he got to USD he really worked to change who he was as a person and it worked out for him. How do I know this? I graduted with his brother. I played high school sports with him (remember, we went to the same high school of 110). We roomed together at a basketball camp. He was always a freak athlete and a nice kid, but had issues keeping focused, and out of trouble, in and out of school. This is also well documented in articles about him during his senior year. That's how he ended up at USD. I remember seeing him at 2 or 3 UNI games his senior year of HS (I was still in college and the recruit section is right next to the student section). Another perfect example is Issac Ales - who should/will be an All Conference DL for UNI this year. He commited to USD, who had offered him a full ride. UNI came in the day before signing day and offered him a partial and he instantly backed out of his commitment to USD to go to UNI. It's where/how USD falls on the charts.

3. They've been pretty bad with zero identity and culture for a while. Joe Glenn has changed some of the culture and attitude there. It was noticeable this year, but this plays right into point 2, and point 1. Recruits with talent are going to take similar/smaller offers to winning places over a place like USD has been, see the Issac Ales in point 2. If USD isn't smart with this hire anything Glenn had done will quickly disappear.

Along with Starr they've placed Tom Compton in the NFL in the last decade. The biggest issue is point #2, and it is so tough to overcome. They may have one or two real good players on their roster. The issue is the other 9 or 10 guys on that side of the ball that are starters would be role players/marginal starters at SDSU, NDSU, UNI, ISUr, and at this point WIU, ISUb, and SIU (though their record is bad).

I've never been to the area of the country you mention, so I will have to take your word for it. However, USD seems like a quality school. I understand they have been poor recently so that is a challenge, but the right coach can sell the ability to play right away and play is a very good conference. I understand it will be a challenge for a coach, but it doesn't seem like a situation where institutionally the school has no chance to compete, like University of Mary is the old North Central Conference.

Bisonator
November 23rd, 2015, 10:34 AM
Congrats to Coach Glenn! I wish him well.

Yote 53
November 23rd, 2015, 10:34 AM

You how I know you are an idiot Clenz? When I read drivel like this. We get leftovers from USF and Morningside? Your USD hate shines brother, shines. Cannot wait to routinely beat your little purple behinds, and you know it's coming, that's why there is so much hate.

UNIFanSince1983
November 23rd, 2015, 10:54 AM
You how I know you are an idiot Clenz? When I read drivel like this. We get leftovers from USF and Morningside? Your USD hate shines brother, shines. Cannot wait to routinely beat your little purple behinds, and you know it's coming, that's why there is so much hate.

You have been saying this for a few years now. Sadly some of the worst years in UNI FCS football. Yet for some reason you haven't come close to surpassing us. You did get lucky 2 years ago and win in double OT. That is really it though. You guys are still consistently below us in the standings, and don't come close to the playoffs.

There is still a long way for USD to go. Hire the wrong coach and everything Glenn did will be gone, and USD will return to the cellar.

clenz
November 23rd, 2015, 10:58 AM
Just like this year? Or the year before? You say that every year and it never happens.

I never said you get left overs from them. You get kids that were passed on, or missed, by SDSU, UNI and NDSU. That's a fact. You then get kids that would likely end up at USF, Morningside or Augustana if not for a USD offer. That is also fact.

I think USD has talent. The issue is, as I said, the depth is a huge issue that is very difficult for them to fill because they are fighting with teams with established recruiting power in that area.

If you want to deny that, then fine. Live in that world. It's not hate, it's the god damn truth and you know it.

The talent at the top is good enough to be a mid-level MVFC team on a consistent basis. The issue is you have no ****ing depth, and that is a direct result of not being able to beat SDSU, NDSU and UNI out for kids.

You're like a Cubs fan...."JUST WAIT AND WE'LL BE THE BEST IN THE WORLD. IT'S COMING STARTING NEXT YEAR". Then the following year "JUST WAIT AND WE'LL BE THE BEST IN THE WORLD. IT'S COMING STARTING NEXT YEAR"

LeeshaJo
November 23rd, 2015, 11:16 AM
the one question I want answered and told my reporter I sent to the conference to ask... was this Joe's decision to retire?

Yote 53
November 23rd, 2015, 11:26 AM
Really? What is this then?

The top kids in NW Iowa and Sioux Falls area are going to SDSU, Sioux Falls, Northwestern, Augustana, Morningside, UNI or NDSU. There classmates also largely go to those schools. For a period of time 90%+ of my high schoolS graduates went to either USF or SDSU. It's pretty much always been that way - even when Sioux Falls was NAIA. USD gets kids that were "passed over" by those schools

Thing is, you don't know much about recruiting done at USD. We pull some kids out of Iowa, we also pull them out of Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Colorado, Illinois, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. It actually reflects the general student body. We aren't like SDSU where a majority of the students are in-state. Our student body and alumni base has always been diverse. So to say that we get leftovers from Sioux Falls, the rest of SD, and NW IA is incorrect. We get what we want and we supplement it with players from elsewhere. Always have done it that way going back over 40 years. Funny you bring up Tyler Starr since you all missed out on another Rock Valley product that is at USD and fits into that mold and is going to be an absolute stud here in the future.

Also, way to take anecdotal evidence about your personal experiences and extrapolate that out and present it as an absolute reality. My high school class was split with a vast amjority of it going to either USD or ISU, so I guess everybody must do the same thing. Nobody went to UNI, or SDSU, or Iowa for that matter, so nobody else must either. Except for the next two classes after mine had alot of kids that went to Iowa. I would say UNI got the leftovers but I only know of a handful of kids over 20 years that have gone to that school from my high school. Most of them go to either Iowa or USD. See how that works?

clenz
November 23rd, 2015, 11:49 AM
You have a good point.

But you're also admitting to not really recruiting Iowa, SD, or MN that hard as well? You're going to miss on so many kids you might be able to pull at that point.

That's the thing. Look at any team thats good year after year, not just MVFC but nationally at the FCS level, and look where their players come from. They all recruit within a small distance of their campus (relatively speaking). Why? Well, budget is one. The other is culture. Kids from Iowa, Minnesota, SD, Wisconsin and parts of MO and IL share the same culture for the most part. They have mostly the same experiences. That build a culture on the team. Unless you're pulling 4 and 5* kids where talent can trump playing like a team that is very important. Building your roster in Vermillion with kids from Colorado, Illinois, Kansas, Oklahoma, etc... can work, but it's going to be difficult. That's a long way from home to try to get top flight kids. Then when you try to come back with local kids because the draw from the long distance kids didn't work out your way behind on local kids. The coaches and players build pipelines with schools. You're going to be on your 3rd coach since 2011 now and have very little success to build on.

I'm not saying it's not possible, but to do is very difficult for USD. WIU faces the same issues, but have been D1 significantly longer and have found a niche to get their guys.

I don't know why it's so hard to understand that someone could think it's going to be very tough without it being hate.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 23rd, 2015, 01:38 PM
Like Coach Glenn a lot and which him well going forward. Good dude.

leatherneck177
November 23rd, 2015, 01:52 PM
Not talking smack, but just wanted to see what his record at USD was and how many years he was there. Just curious. I know USD has had their challenges.

leatherneck177
November 23rd, 2015, 01:53 PM
Not talking smack, but just wanted to see what his record at USD was and how many years he was there. Just curious. I know USD has had their challenges.

Nevermind I got it from the article on the first page.

RabidRabbit
November 23rd, 2015, 02:46 PM
USD does have the challenges of being the smallest of the MVFC schools, and the most recent transfer from D-II. The State of SD made both Jacks and Yotes trip from D-II to D-I more challenging than certainly the ND schools' transition.

Congrats to Joe Glenn. May retirement treat him well.

USD, remain that pesky lil bro! xpeacex

Yote 53
November 23rd, 2015, 02:56 PM
Clenz, a majority of our players come from the area. The roster is filled out with kids from the states I listed. Look where Vermillion is geographically located, it is closer to Kansas City than Rapid City. A vast majority of our players come from Iowa, Nebraska, and Minnesota along with some from South Dakota. Yes, SDSU pulls more in state recruits, but you have to also consider Vermillion sits on a tri-state border. Stands to reason that many players will come from out of state. For example, last year USD landed one of the best QB's in the state of Iowa out of Council Bluffs. He's an out of state kid, but I consider him local because CB is only about a 2 hour drive away. The Omaha/Council Bluffs area is actually closer than Watertown, SD! You speak of the challenges USD faces in recruiting, yet fail to mention we are actually closer in proximity to more urban areas than SDSU, NDSU, and definitely UND.

I guess I actually see the advantages that USD and the college town of Vermillion can offer and how its location of being a one day drive from many midwestern cities is actually a positive.

Schism55
November 23rd, 2015, 03:07 PM
Good guy, good coach. Enjoyed the battles over the years, NCC rip.

TheKingpin28
November 23rd, 2015, 03:58 PM
Last time I was there when I was 18 I think so about 5 years ago. If its truly gone, that sucks. I'd go there after every thanksgiving in Iowa City on my way back to the TC. I'd always sit in the back are with the 4 booths and just chill with my Dad. We have been going to Charles City and Dave's Diner since they got unlimited tomato juice ad that's my favorite breakfast drink, minus a whiskey, whiskey and coke, or screwdriver.

Yote 53
November 24th, 2015, 09:59 AM
Clenz and the rest of you. Watch this video and try to tell me that USD isn't a fun college town. I'm getting this feeling you all think we are having to recruit players to Mayberry, USA. This isn't Doane, Wayne America, or Northwestern (Orange City).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeJ5PbTvAFA

waverly_panther
November 24th, 2015, 11:16 AM
Last time I was there when I was 18 I think so about 5 years ago. If its truly gone, that sucks. I'd go there after every thanksgiving in Iowa City on my way back to the TC. I'd always sit in the back are with the 4 booths and just chill with my Dad. We have been going to Charles City and Dave's Diner since they got unlimited tomato juice ad that's my favorite breakfast drink, minus a whiskey, whiskey and coke, or screwdriver.
Oh, you meant Del's Diner. Sorry. That place is still there. Great breakfast.

BisonTru
November 24th, 2015, 12:30 PM
Clenz and the rest of you. Watch this video and try to tell me that USD isn't a fun college town. I'm getting this feeling you all think we are having to recruit players to Mayberry, USA. This isn't Doane, Wayne America, or Northwestern (Orange City).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeJ5PbTvAFA

What? College kids party in Vermillion. Damn, I'm surprised you guys aren't pulling recruits from Iowa and Nebraska.

TheKingpin28
November 24th, 2015, 02:17 PM
Oh, you meant Del's Diner. Sorry. That place is still there. Great breakfast.

Yeah I meant that but I know I said Mel's. Yeah I could eat there and everything would be alright.