PDA

View Full Version : Dayton Hosts First Round Game

DFW HOYA
November 22nd, 2015, 02:13 PM
They paid for it, they got it.

Will the crowds fill Welcome Stadium for this one?

PantherRob82
November 22nd, 2015, 02:14 PM
They paid for it, they got it.

Will the crowds fill Welcome Stadium for this one?

No.

Will Dayton win?

Schism55
November 22nd, 2015, 02:16 PM
Dayton gets trucked. WIU by lots

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 22nd, 2015, 02:18 PM
Butler hosted a couple of years ago. Got to love that basketball money :p

Bisonwinagn
November 22nd, 2015, 02:21 PM
No.

Will Dayton win?

Is WIU still playing with it's backup QB? If so how is he doing?

PantherRob82
November 22nd, 2015, 02:29 PM

Think it matters?

Catsfan90
November 22nd, 2015, 02:35 PM
No.

Will Dayton win?
They absolutely will.

leatherneck177
November 22nd, 2015, 02:37 PM
Yes Norvell is out for the year. To be honest, McGuire has looked better than him. Better decision making and more mobile.

Bisonwinagn
November 22nd, 2015, 03:04 PM
Think it matters?

I was looking ahead to Illstate

DFW HOYA
November 22nd, 2015, 03:09 PM

Dayton gets about one-twentieth the TV money Butler gets, thanks to the Fox Big East TV deal.

And it's not like Big East football teams share in that TV deal.... xsmhx

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 22nd, 2015, 03:25 PM
Dayton gets about one-twentieth the TV money Butler gets, thanks to the Fox Big East TV deal.

How much do they receive for hosting tournament games?

melloware13
November 22nd, 2015, 03:37 PM

The A10 gets a good amount of money from the Tourney also since they seem to get ~5 teams in. Add in being the permanent hosts to the First 4 and other rounds every few years, I doubt $ is an issue.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 22nd, 2015, 03:38 PM
How very interesting that a PFL team gets to foot the bill for an MVFC team to come to their home stadium. Why, it's as if the PFL and the MVFC have the same commissioner.

ST_Lawson
November 22nd, 2015, 03:49 PM

Yes, Norvell out for season after appendectomy right before Indiana State game. Backup QB (Sean McGuire) went in and led us to wins over Indiana State and South Dakota State. He was one of the best QBs in the state of Wisconsin coming out of HS and at this point, looks better than Norvell was.

- - - Updated - - -

How very interesting that a PFL team gets to foot the bill for an MVFC team to come to their home stadium. Why, it's as if the PFL and the MVFC have the same commissioner.

Or the PFL team actually has money and put in a bid.

centennial
November 22nd, 2015, 03:49 PM
Yes, Norvell out for season after appendectomy right before Indiana State game. Backup QB (Sean McGuire) went in and led us to wins over Indiana State and South Dakota State. He was one of the best QBs in the state of Wisconsin coming out of HS and at this point, looks better than Norvell was.
Hope you guys take out ISUr. I'll be rooting for WIU.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 22nd, 2015, 04:00 PM
The A10 gets a good amount of money from the Tourney also since they seem to get ~5 teams in. Add in being the permanent hosts to the First 4 and other rounds every few years, I doubt $ is an issue.

Dayton, Butler and San Diego (WCC) have no shortage of money within their athletic programs thanks to hoops. Anyone who says basketball can't support a quality athletic department is crazy.

If they so choose, Butler and Dayton could be yearly Top 25 teams given their name recognition, athletic wealth, academics and facilities.

gumby013
November 22nd, 2015, 04:09 PM
Anyone know if WIU even submitted a bid? I wouldn't have figured that would have.

Bisonwinagn
November 22nd, 2015, 04:10 PM
Dayton, Butler and San Diego (WCC) have no shortage of money within their athletic programs thanks to hoops. Anyone who says basketball can't support a quality athletic department is crazy.

If they so choose, Butler and Dayton could be yearly Top 25 teams given their name recognition, athletic wealth, academics and facilities. I've never heard of any of those schools!!!

clenz
November 22nd, 2015, 04:11 PM
Anyone know if WIU even submitted a bid? I wouldn't have figured that would have.

I've heard no

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 22nd, 2015, 04:11 PM
I've never heard of any of those schools!!!

Wait..huh!?!? xeyebrowx

JayJ79
November 22nd, 2015, 04:33 PM
While WIU (4774) had a higher attendance average for the year than Dayton (3058), thanks to some big early season crowds, Dayton actually outdrew WIU in the last two games.

2610 - 10/31 YSU @ WIU
1853 - 11/21 SDSU @ WIU
4463 total

2275 - 10/31 Jacksonville @ Dayton
3118 - 11/14 Marist @ Dayton
5393 total

ST_Lawson
November 22nd, 2015, 04:38 PM
I know it's not a direct correlation to what the athletics budget is or how much they might bid for a game, but Dayton's endowment is over 14 times Western's. The university as a whole has significantly more financial resources available to them than we do.

I have no problem with Dayton hosting. They've got money, they'll likely bring just as many fans as we would....and if we can't beat Dayton, regardless of the location...we have no business being in the playoffs (and yes, I realize that there's quite a few people saying that we have no business in the playoffs anyway).

JSUBison
November 22nd, 2015, 04:39 PM
I want to be like that SDSU fan that picked the USD/NDSU upset exactly. So I say Dayton 24, WIU 17.

hebmskebm
November 22nd, 2015, 07:11 PM
This article says the PFL put up half the money for Dayton's bid.

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/news/sports/college-football/dayton-gets-home-game-for-first-fcs-playoff-berth/npSsm/

Lehigh Football Nation
November 22nd, 2015, 07:12 PM

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/news/sports/college-football/dayton-gets-home-game-for-first-fcs-playoff-berth/npSsm/

No, not suspicious at all.

JayJ79
November 22nd, 2015, 07:32 PM
No, not suspicious at all.

How so? Other conferences have the ability to pay part of the bid for any of their teams if they really want to.
It's not like they bid a crazy amount. 30K is the minimum for the first round.

ST_Lawson
November 22nd, 2015, 07:41 PM
Yea, I don't see anything "suspicious" about it. I mean, if they'd gone in and bid like $200k with funding from some "mystery backer"....then I still wouldn't care. They didn't break any NCAA rules putting in a bid. We either didn't put in a bid (which sounds likely) or put in the bare minimum, so they got it, and I'm ok with that. Would I prefer that the game be here in Macomb....sure, but if you think that we have the kind of $ to be swinging around large home game bids, then you don't really understand the financial situation here in Illinois. I'd rather save the $30k (or whatever) and put it towards future improvements on our stadium (which severely need it on the West side stands) than throw it at getting another home game which we'll end up losing money on anyway.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 22nd, 2015, 07:48 PM
Dayton's Welcome Stadium always looked "weird" since it sits right in the middle of a vast parking lot. It must be brutally hot in late August, early September with all that radiative heat....

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/dayt/sports/m-footbl/auto_original/174534.jpeg

BisonFan02
November 22nd, 2015, 09:22 PM
Dayton's Welcome Stadium always looked "weird" since it sits right in the middle of a vast parking lot. It must be brutally hot in late August, early September with all that radiative heat....

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/dayt/sports/m-footbl/auto_original/174534.jpeg

Holy **** tailgating space.... xlolx

Go...gate
November 22nd, 2015, 09:24 PM
That must have been one hell of a bid.

clenz
November 22nd, 2015, 09:30 PM
That must have been one hell of a bid.
30k. The minimum. Essentially proof WIU didn't bid.

- - - Updated - - -

Imagine the space you'd have with you and the other 3k people that go to games.

You could have the worlds largest beer pong table set up 15 times

Go...gate
November 22nd, 2015, 09:30 PM
Wondering if Colgate put in a bid.....

ST_Lawson
November 22nd, 2015, 09:33 PM
That looks like the smallest NFL stadium ever.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 22nd, 2015, 09:34 PM
I wonder if North Dakota put in a bid...?

clenz
November 22nd, 2015, 09:35 PM
I wonder if North Dakota put in a bid...?
I'm sure they did. I'd also bet it was sizeable.

Seemingly proof bids truly aren't opened until everything is completely done.

DFW HOYA
November 22nd, 2015, 09:51 PM

Where does the Pioneer actually get $15K? (Hopefully not from the MVFC...)

Sandlapper Spike
November 22nd, 2015, 10:15 PM

Site of the late, unlamented Aviation Bowl...

JayJ79
November 22nd, 2015, 10:16 PM
Where does the Pioneer actually get $15K? (Hopefully not from the MVFC...)

well, they don't give athletic scholarships, so they can use some of that savings I guess. (not that conferences give scholarships, but anyway)

chattanoogamocs
November 22nd, 2015, 11:13 PM

Butler hosted because Tennessee State didn't bid.

chattanoogamocs
November 22nd, 2015, 11:18 PM

35 schools officially bid to host first round games, WIU was not one of them.

32counter
November 23rd, 2015, 06:58 AM
John Gruden,former NFL coach and ESPN football game analyst,is an"active" alumnus of the Dayton Flyers.FYI.

OhioHen
November 23rd, 2015, 10:57 AM
That looks like the smallest NFL stadium ever.

Actually, it's technically a high school stadium - owned by Dayton Public Schools.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welcome_Stadium

Bison56
November 23rd, 2015, 11:47 AM
John Gruden,former NFL coach and ESPN football game analyst,is an"active" alumnus of the Dayton Flyers.FYI.

Also annoying as hell.

PurpleStreamers
November 23rd, 2015, 11:49 AM

Great tailgate setup and it's actually right down from the river although you can't see it in the picture above. When JMU hoops played in the play-in game and then actually stayed in Dayton for our 1/16 game vs. Indiana a couple years ago, we had a great time and thought it was a fantastic setup. Our course, we couldn't see in the stadium and a track is so bush-league, but it does set up well and there are bars/hotels within a mile just back across the bridge.

That was also a super-fun tailgate setup with IU and OSU (both essentially local) and Iowa St. (just a big contingent for a great team) all ending up there in the pod system the NCAA tourney uses for those first-round locations too.

colonelblitz
November 23rd, 2015, 04:11 PM
John Gruden,former NFL coach and ESPN football game analyst,is an"active" alumnus of the Dayton Flyers.FYI. maybe he paid the money..

Skyhawk71
November 23rd, 2015, 06:13 PM
Butler hosted because Tennessee State didn't bid.

TSU didn't bid because the rent at Nissan is ridiculous and the "Hole" Sucks..................

DetroitFlyer
November 28th, 2015, 09:56 AM
Game day! At about an hour before game time we have steady rain, 41 degrees F, with enough wind to make it really uncomfortable. Sure looks like weather will be a significant factor here in Dayton today.

clenz
November 28th, 2015, 10:02 AM
Nikko Watson likes the sound of that.

DetroitFlyer
November 28th, 2015, 10:05 AM
Kind of looks like the running games and the ability to hold on to slippery footballs will be critical. Passing is going to be a challenge today.

BisonFan02
November 28th, 2015, 10:32 AM
Nikko Watson likes the sound of that.

That is going to be interesting to watch. Does Dayton have the muscle on D to bring down Nikko all game?

nmatsen
November 28th, 2015, 11:08 AM
looks pathetic on tv, Dayton should be in D3 playoffs

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 28th, 2015, 11:17 AM
Dayton's uniforms are brutal. Their colors are basically red, white and blue which is sweet! Yet that's what they came up with? xeyebrowx

clenz
November 28th, 2015, 11:31 AM
That is going to be interesting to watch. Does Dayton have the muscle on D to bring down Nikko all game?
Most MVFC programs struggle with a back like him after about 3 quarters

NDSUtk
November 28th, 2015, 07:40 PM
So as was stated the conference helped pay for Dayton to host and Western didn't put a bid in. Based on attendance, Dayton clearly lost money on this game.

So that all said...what would have happened had NEITHER team put a bid in?? Would that have forced the committee to change the matchup?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 28th, 2015, 08:01 PM
So as was stated the conference helped pay for Dayton to host and Western didn't put a bid in. Based on attendance, Dayton clearly lost money on this game.

So that all said...what would have happened had NEITHER team put a bid in?? Would that have forced the committee to change the matchup?

Yes, genius to schedule the game during the exact same time period while Michigan/Ohio State was going on.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 28th, 2015, 08:24 PM
Yes, genius to schedule the game during the exact same time period while Michigan/Ohio State was going on.

That and the weather were the biggest factors. There was no reason to have this game go head-2-head with OSU-Michigan.

Dayton has great community support for basketball. I have to believe that with better weather and maybe a 5 pm kickoff there would have been 5-7k people there today. Hell, Dayton had 2-3k in Orlando for a basketball last night.....