PDA

View Full Version : There's No Way to Sugarcoat This

TypicalTribe
November 22nd, 2015, 12:29 PM
There have been some head-shaking moments over the years when the brackets were released, but this year's has to be hands down the worst edition I've ever seen. I can usually find a few things to nitpick every year, but there's a limitless number of options this year. In no particular order:

1. So, the MVFC gets five teams in, but they're all on the same side of the bracket? What happened to the days where you at least gave the dominant conference a chance to put its stamp on the playoffs?
2. Clearly the committee decided to just jump in with both feet in terms of rematches. Was there a challenge laid down to produce a bracket with the highest number of rematches possible? The whole thing is a joke. The worst example is the W&M/Richmond possible one in the 2nd round. Just like the UNH/Maine situation two years ago, it's not just a rematch, it's basically back-to-back. It's an absurd way to handle things. Whatever happened to the days of getting to see great intersectional matchups that we don't see in the regular season?
3. Does UNH have pictures of everyone on the committee naked in compromising positions? Arguably one of the last at-larges in the field and even that was a stretch yet what do they get? That's right, a home game! And not just a home game, but a game against one of the three AQs in the field that are arguably worse teams.
4. North Dakota got hosed. Plain and simple.

I have a number of other issues, but not enough time right now.

centennial
November 22nd, 2015, 12:31 PM
There have been some head-shaking moments over the years when the brackets were released, but this year's has to be hands down the worst edition I've ever seen. I can usually find a few things to nitpick every year, but there's a limitless number of options this year. In no particular order:

1. So, the MVFC gets five teams in, but they're all on the same side of the bracket? What happened to the days where you at least gave the dominant conference a chance to put its stamp on the playoffs?
2. Clearly the committee decided to just jump in with both feet in terms of rematches. Was there a challenge laid down to produce a bracket with the highest number of rematches possible? The whole thing is a joke. The worst example is the W&M/Richmond possible one in the 2nd round. Just like the UNH/Maine situation two years ago, it's not just a rematch, it's basically back-to-back. It's an absurd way to handle things. Whatever happened to the days of getting to see great intersectional matchups that we don't see in the regular season?
3. Does UNH have pictures of everyone on the committee naked in compromising positions? Arguably one of the last at-larges in the field and even that was a stretch yet what do they get? That's right, a home game! And not just a home game, but a game against one of the three AQs in the field that are arguably worse teams.

1) Agree
2) Agree
3) Yes
4) Agree

putter
November 22nd, 2015, 12:32 PM
Good post. The first step, that would help, would be to end this ridiculous regionalization. 9/11 was a long time ago

RootinFerDukes
November 22nd, 2015, 12:34 PM
Seed the entire field 1-24, top 8 seeds get a bye. 24 at 9, 23 at 10 and so on. Who cares if Dayton has to go to Montana or New Hampshire to Southern Utah.
I know, I know. They don't want to lose money on travel costs.

Mattymc727
November 22nd, 2015, 12:35 PM
Um, UNH got a home game because we outbid Colgate. Regionalizaion happens every year, wouldn't be surprised by that. Having all of the MVFC teams and CAA teams on each side is stunningly bad, and takes away from the excitement of the playoffs. This is the least exciting bracket ive ever witnessed. WIU getting in over UND is the most shocking thing to me.

Lets not hate on UNH here, we won our last 4 games and beat the CAA champ doing it. Sure, we have some bad losses, but who doesn't? I think UNH was very deserving of a playoff spot.

Sader87
November 22nd, 2015, 12:36 PM
Nevah been a fan, especially since the tournament ballooned to 20 and now 24 teams.

I've said this before, I'd rather play BC or the Ivy Champ in a "bowl" to the end the year than play in this travesty.

ISUMatt
November 22nd, 2015, 12:38 PM
I'll say it, ISUr doesn't have a bad loss :-) ( @Iowa, @S Dak St)

ISUMatt

Schism55
Seed the entire field 1-24, top 8 seeds get a bye. 24 at 9, 23 at 10 and so on. Who cares if Dayton has to go to Montana or New Hampshire to Southern Utah.
I know, I know. They don't want to lose money on travel costs.
NCAA nearly topped $1 billion in revenue in 2014http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2015/03/11/ncaa-financial-statement-2014-1-billion-revenue/70161386/

Regionalization can F off

tribefan40
While I generally agree, I am stoked for a rematch with UR. Not disrespecting Duquesne in any way, but if we don't dominate there's not much point in moving on. Yesterday was an awful performance by W&M, particularly Cluely, and I think a rematch would be interesting to see.

UNH has paid their dues and put together enough to get the benefit of the doubt, IMO. What's criminal is the draw. If they were headed to an MVFC team in round two, it would all come out in the wash.

UND did indeed get hosed.

WrenFGun
November 22nd, 2015, 12:41 PM
I said this in another thread, but I don't think you can look at UNH as the last team in, for a few reasons:

1. Sam Houston and EIU do not have a win over a playoff team, and BOTH have the same amount of DI wins as UNH.
2. UNH's bad loss by SBU is likely written off by the committee due to Goldrich being hurt.
3. UNH has a win over a playoff seed, and also the Patriot League champ.

...so, do I think UNH is good? I really don't. This is one of the worst teams of the 12 year run, which makes it remarkable that they made it to 7 DI wins. Do they deserve to be in? Yes, absolutely. Their resume is better than at least two other teams that got in.

As for the draw, UNH basically HAD to play Fordham, Duquesne or Colgate, since they're all bus trips. I'm not sure why they picked Colgate, but when they did, it was a foregone conclusion UNH would win the bidding. There's nothing odd about that.

I otherwise I agree with you, though.

Kemo
November 22nd, 2015, 12:41 PM
I think the best fix to the system would be one, simple, addition rule when making out the bracket:

No team is allowed to be matched up against a team they've already played in their first game.

This way they can still have some regionalization without absolutely punishing teams who have earned a top 8 seed.

This would get rid of silly 2nd round match ups like Montana/SDSU @ NDSU when both teams have already competed this season.

Drblankstare
November 22nd, 2015, 12:45 PM
So tired of the rematches. I would normally love the idea of seeing Montana at the Dome but this will be the 3rd time in what 16 months? And don't get me started about the insanity of seeing SDSU again. I'm assuming their is an NCAA by law requiring this game as soon as possible in the playoffs.

RootinFerDukes
November 22nd, 2015, 12:48 PM
NCAA nearly topped $1 billion in revenue in 2014

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2015/03/11/ncaa-financial-statement-2014-1-billion-revenue/70161386/

Regionalization can F off
The problem there is the Big Boys in the P5 are in power and they're going to say "we generated that revenue. that's OUR money! you're not wasting it on that Division 2 playoff!".

Bisonator
November 22nd, 2015, 12:49 PM
Regionalization sucks balls. It's time to end that bull**** and seed every team. If all they want to do is save money we might as well go back to an 8 team field.

Mattymc727
November 22nd, 2015, 12:50 PM
I feel like this is a recent phenomenon too. UNH used to have to go to the Georgia Southerns, Woffords, Montana States, Mcneeses of the world, now we automatically play whoever is in the northeast.

Grizalltheway
November 22nd, 2015, 12:51 PM
Nevah been a fan, especially since the tournament ballooned to 20 and now 24 teams.

I've said this before, I'd rather play BC or the Ivy Champ in a "bowl" to the end the year than play in this travesty.

I'd say you'd missed, but I'm not really sure who you are.xconfusedx

Mattymc727
Regionalization sucks balls. It's time to end that bull**** and seed every team. If all they want to do is save money we might as well go back to an 8 team field.

Agreed, just seed everyone March Madness style.

centennial
The problem there is the Big Boys in the P5 are in power and they're going to say "we generated that revenue. that's OUR money! you're not wasting it on that Division 2 playoff!".
At $100,000-$200,000 a flight we are probably talking about 3-4 extra flights. If every FCS conference contributes $100k, we could possibly not have to do this again.

UNHWildcat18
November 22nd, 2015, 12:57 PM
Um, UNH got a home game because we outbid Colgate. Regionalizaion happens every year, wouldn't be surprised by that. Having all of the MVFC teams and CAA teams on each side is stunningly bad, and takes away from the excitement of the playoffs. This is the least exciting bracket ive ever witnessed. WIU getting in over UND is the most shocking thing to me.

Lets not hate on UNH here, we won our last 4 games and beat the CAA champ doing it. Sure, we have some bad losses, but who doesn't? I think UNH was very deserving of a playoff spot.

Literally this. I think UND should be in over EIU at least if not maybe WIU but saying UNH isn't worthy compared to half the other teams in Like SHSU EIU ect.. Is a little much. I think the last 4 teams in are all better than the "9-2" Fordham team..

Sitting Bull
November 22nd, 2015, 12:58 PM

Three comments on this:
1) BC isn't going to play you as end of year rivalry game
2) The Ivy is more likely to get into the playoffs than have their champ end the season playing Lafayette - or Fordham - or pick your team.
3) Given this is coming from someone who hasn't been a factor since the Gordie Lockbaum days, this just comes across like sour grapes.

Since 1 and 2 aren't happening, I guess you are saying the Cross season should just end the weekend before Thansgiving, period.

I see issues with the bracket, though nothing major. I agree on the rematches, that to me is the major flaw. The top teams got their seeds though and limited argument on the total field.

JSUBison
November 22nd, 2015, 01:18 PM

I join the others in saying that this bracket doesn't excite me at all from a football fan's perspective. A complete lack of compelling match ups this year. Too many rematches, too many teams playing the same old same old. As a MVFC/NDSU fan, it's a complete failure. Why have playoffs at all, the committee is just extending the Valley conference season. I know the Valley teams have to win those game against Montana, EIU, etc to set this up, but come on already.

WTFCollegefootballfan
November 22nd, 2015, 01:33 PM
This isn't a top 24 tournament. That is what sucks the most. Rank the 24 teams. Then fill in the brackets. Let different teams play each other. It would make for much better football.

BucBisonAtLarge
November 22nd, 2015, 01:35 PM
A first-round rematch for Colgate and New Hampshire is strange, but I like this pairing. Colgate went undefeated in-conference, has a five-game win streak in hand and generally does not resemble the team that lost to UNH early. UNH has also been playing well, but looking past the Raiders could sting.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 22nd, 2015, 01:39 PM
A first-round rematch for Colgate and New Hampshire is strange, but I like this pairing. Colgate went undefeated in-conference, has a five-game win streak in hand and generally does not resemble the team that lost to UNH early. UNH has also been playing well, but looking past the Raiders could sting.

Both PL teams got "reasonable" match-ups. Colgate and Fordham will be underdogs, and rightfully so, but not completely overmatched. I think both teams are 10-14 point road dogs. I'll be disappointed if either team gets run. Edmonds vs the Chatty defense will be fun to watch....

THE HERD
November 22nd, 2015, 01:42 PM
I'll say it, ISUr doesn't have a bad loss :-) ( @Iowa, @S Dak St)

ISUMatt

I have no problem with you guys at 2 and us at 3.....just have a problem with all five MV teams in same bracket!

FargoBison
November 22nd, 2015, 01:59 PM
Maybe they should seed 12 teams. I know it sounds weird but by doing that you do provide some protection to the top seeds.

FCSwatcher
November 22nd, 2015, 02:01 PM

I don't agree it takes away from the excitement. Most people, not I luring the die hards, like to see teams play that they know.

Are people in Green Bay more excited to watch them play the Vikes or somebody else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dewey
November 22nd, 2015, 02:03 PM
I have no problem with you guys at 2 and us at 3.....just have a problem with all five MV teams in same bracket!

^^^^This. The quality of the opponents that Illinois State lost to is better than NDSU'S. No way to sugarcoat it. Like others have said I have issues with this regionalization *****.

Dewey

jmufan999
November 22nd, 2015, 02:04 PM
I don't agree it takes away from the excitement. Most people, not I luring the die hards, like to see teams play that they know.

Are people in Green Bay more excited to watch them play the Vikes or somebody else?

i agree with you but just didn't feel like arguing about it. i think rematches, while not always fair, are absolutely compelling. was the first game a fluke? is one team clearly more dominant than the other? is the location of the 2nd game different, and is that a factor? so many storylines, it's fascinating. but again, compelling and fair are totally different words.

Bisonwinagn
November 22nd, 2015, 02:05 PM
Maybe they should seed 12 teams. I know it sounds weird but by doing that you do provide some protection to the top seeds.

Do you really think they are capable of doing this correctly? The only way to seed teams is by using the computers such sagarin or GPI and eliminating the committee all together. That way every teams knows where it stands throughout the year.

Bisonwinagn
November 22nd, 2015, 02:12 PM

Are you joking? This is by far the most boring bracket I've seen in ten years. The whole excitement for the playoff is to see how your team and your conference matches up with others. That's what creates 99% of the excitement. I would love to be cheering for the valley teams and see how they compete with teams across the country. Now I have to cheer for all of them to lose because I don't want to play against any of them and it has ruined the entire reason for the playoff. I have zero interest in watching any rematches and will likely only watch a couple games now because of it. Now the only thing I have is to cheer for is my team and hope everyone else dies in a plane crash.

FCSwatcher
November 22nd, 2015, 02:13 PM
Definitely serious. Why do Rivalries bring in more viewers, money.

Common sense

Bisonwinagn
November 22nd, 2015, 02:17 PM

If Green Bay makes a last second field goal to win the NFC North do you really think they would be excited to play the Vikes again the following week?? Absolutely not and it would be a complete travesty to have it happen. add to that we are talking 24 teams they could play against in college and not 6 like in the NFL.

FCSwatcher
November 22nd, 2015, 02:21 PM
If Green Bay makes a last second field goal to win the NFC North do you really think they would be excited to play the Vikes again the following week?? Absolutely not and it would be a complete travesty to have it happen. add to that we are talking 24 teams they could play against in college and not 6 like in the NFL.

The team wouldn't care, and yes the fans would enjoy it

PantherRob82
November 22nd, 2015, 02:26 PM
Playing the same teams over is boring.

I'm glad UNI gets EIU who we haven't seen in a decade and Portland State, who we may have never played. After that we would get Montana, SDSU, and NDSU. 2 of those we play every year, and we have played Montana a few times recently and start a home and home with them in 2016.

Catsfan90
November 22nd, 2015, 02:30 PM
While I generally agree, I am stoked for a rematch with UR. Not disrespecting Duquesne in any way, but if we don't dominate there's not much point in moving on. Yesterday was an awful performance by W&M, particularly Cluely, and I think a rematch would be interesting to see.

UNH has paid their dues and put together enough to get the benefit of the doubt, IMO. What's criminal is the draw. If they were headed to an MVFC team in round two, it would all come out in the wash.

UND did indeed get hosed.
We are potentially facing down JMU for the second round. Are you saying an MVFC team is automatically harder than JMU?

FargoBison
November 22nd, 2015, 02:33 PM
The one change I make is swap UNI-EIU with UNH-Colgate. That would have provided some balance to the brackets.

Catsfan90
November 22nd, 2015, 02:34 PM
Sader. Do you really have to show up every year, and spit your discontent for the playoffs?

Bisonwinagn
November 22nd, 2015, 02:34 PM
The team wouldn't care, and yes the fans would enjoy it

You my friend have never watched FCS playoff's before or you simply don't get it. Maybe someday you will. Even the NDSU coach is frustrated with this: http://www.inforum.com/sports/3888334-updated-bison-get-no-3-seed-head-coach-disappointed-five-valley-teams-same-side

FCSwatcher
November 22nd, 2015, 02:36 PM
Hate to tell you. I am 50 years old and have watched since it was 1AA with Idaho And Boise St.

We don't have to agree

bostonspider
November 22nd, 2015, 03:04 PM
I am sort of excited to potentially have the 126th meeting of the oldest rivalry in the south be in the playoffs.

melloware13
November 22nd, 2015, 03:51 PM
One set-up to possibly follow would be similar to the old (to me) MLB playoff model. Seed the field, then make as few adjustments as possible to avoid conference rematches early (then if possible without butchering the seeds is avoid non-con. rematches). If needed, make the paid travel party for each team smaller.

clenz
November 22nd, 2015, 04:08 PM
You my friend have never watched FCS playoff's before or you simply don't get it. Maybe someday you will. Even the NDSU coach is frustrated with this: http://www.inforum.com/sports/3888334-updated-bison-get-no-3-seed-head-coach-disappointed-five-valley-teams-same-side

Farley didn't say much other than "it is what it is". Wasn't too thrilled about it

Terry2889
November 22nd, 2015, 04:10 PM
1) Agree
2) Agree
3) Yes
4) Agree
HAHAHA!
Can't believe the draw we got!!!!

eiupantherfan94
November 22nd, 2015, 04:21 PM
I was shocked to see that EIU made it in. I guess you could argue that the team improved after a horrid 0-2 start and an OT loss to Illinois State (which they could have won if they make a last-second field goal in regulation), but they didn't beat anybody significant with their best wins being over a 7-4 UT Martin (whose only noncon win was over non Div. I opponent) and 6-5 EKU. Have a win over ISU or Jacksonville State and they have a decent case. I agree that a team like North Dakota had a better resume.

KPSUL
November 22nd, 2015, 04:29 PM

Sean McDonnell is the master of making every upcoming opponent seem like the Bison, NDSU Bison that is. His team won't be looking past anyone, even if some us UNH fans(like me) might be.

stevdock
November 22nd, 2015, 04:32 PM
It's time to seed the top 16 teams and THEN you can regionalize the other 8 teams. The best thing about our playoff runs the last 5 years was all the different teams we got to see and go up against. The only 3 teams we've seen more than once was Georgia Southern in the semi's (which was earned so no big deal) Sam Houston in the semi's or finals (which again was earned so no big deal) and SDSU which is because they are right down the road. It almost seemed like this bracket was put together to give the smaller conferences a huge advantage of advancing.

MacThor
November 22nd, 2015, 04:40 PM

I've never been more proud of a W&M fan. :)

X-Factor
November 22nd, 2015, 05:16 PM
Do you really think they are capable of doing this correctly? The only way to seed teams is by using the computers such sagarin or GPI and eliminating the committee all together. That way every teams knows where it stands throughout the year.
THIS!!!!

Seeding all 24 is not the answer at all. Seeding just gives the committee a reason to be devious (coincidence NDSU and ISU are 2 and 3? I think not).

Use the GPI to determine playoff seeding. It needs to be unbiased and not editable behind closed doors like this worthless committee has proven it is capable of year after year.

Daytripper
November 22nd, 2015, 05:21 PM
If all the resumes were compared with the actual team name redacted, I will admit that SHSU (and others) shouldn't be in based on the games played. But, whether you like it or not, reputation plays a part, as well as the knowledge of how much schools bid for first round home games.

Redbird 13
November 22nd, 2015, 05:26 PM

I agree. Last year was the best possible championship game between the two best teams from the best league, and they make sure it doesn't happen again with this seeding process. And then throw two more top 10 teams from the MVFC on the same side.

Sucks.

BisonTru
November 22nd, 2015, 05:30 PM
THIS!!!!

Seeding all 24 is not the answer at all. Seeding just gives the committee a reason to be devious (coincidence NDSU and ISU are 2 and 3? I think not).

Use the GPI to determine playoff seeding. It needs to be unbiased and not editable behind closed doors like this worthless committee has proven it is capable of year after year.

JSU was the clear cut #1. You don't think ISU and NDSU are two of the best three teams in the country? That's how I would rank them. I thought they might get distracted by McNeese's shiny record, but they ended up seeing it how I think it should sit.

Sycamore62
November 22nd, 2015, 05:41 PM

I think the majority of the NCAA budget comes from the basketball tourney.

I dont idnt think the NCAA get much from any FBS tournament. I think they keep that in the P5 pockets. That's the main reason I have heard that there isn't a tournament at that level. When they figure out how to keep all the money without spreading it across the NCAA lower levels there will be a tournament.

Bisonwinagn
November 22nd, 2015, 06:16 PM
I think the majority of the NCAA budget comes from the basketball tourney.

I dont idnt think the NCAA get much from any FBS tournament. I think they keep that in the P5 pockets. That's the main reason I have heard that there isn't a tournament at that level. When they figure out how to keep all the money without spreading it across the NCAA lower levels there will be a tournament.

That's because the bowl games and so called football playoff are not NCAA events. They are independent and those companies do what they want with the money. FCS is the only D1 NCAA football playoff system.

MTfan4life
November 22nd, 2015, 06:38 PM
All these complaints about the regionalization, which I get that it is annoying. However, they could just go to the D2 model. Each region gets 6 teams in and each region gets one team in the final four. They're not going to seed things, that's just a fact. They regionalize just as much in pretty much every other sport. They even do some marginal region bracketing in the basketball tournament. This is the dramatic downfall of playoff expansion. With the teams at 16, it was much much harder to regionalize early round matchups. It's not like the MVFC is the only conference they've done it to.

penguinpower
November 22nd, 2015, 06:42 PM

This goes to show how weak Patty Viverito is a commissioner.

centennial
November 22nd, 2015, 06:44 PM
Agreed.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 22nd, 2015, 06:44 PM
All these complaints about the regionalization, which I get that it is annoying. However, they could just go to the D2 model. Each region gets 6 teams in and each region gets one team in the final four. They're not going to seed things, that's just a fact. They regionalize just as much in pretty much every other sport. They even do some marginal region bracketing in the basketball tournament. This is the dramatic downfall of playoff expansion. With the teams at 16, it was much much harder to regionalize early round matchups. It's not like the MVFC is the only conference they've done it to.

Agree with this but all 5 on the same side?

Big Sky got split up with SUU in the top half. Same with the CAA. With 5 teams in the could have put a least one on the other side...xsmhx

BisonTru
November 22nd, 2015, 06:51 PM

Huh? What does getting all MVFC teams placed on one side of the bracket because of known regionalization rules have to do with Patty V? I'd place more blame on Dannen, but at the end of the day anybody who read the rules and the process can see why the bracket came out this way.

Not saying Patty V is a great commissioner, but some of the blame isn't warranted.

Professor Chaos
November 22nd, 2015, 07:02 PM
Goodell and Obama are solely to blame for all of this!!!

PantherRob82
November 22nd, 2015, 07:05 PM

How?

PantherRob82
November 22nd, 2015, 07:06 PM
Huh? What does getting all MVFC teams placed on one side of the bracket because of known regionalization rules have to do with Patty V? I'd place more blame on Dannen, but at the end of the day anybody who read the rules and the process can see why the bracket came out this way.

Not saying Patty V is a great commissioner, but some of the blame isn't warranted.

Because Dannen should have pulled out his .40 and said "**** the rules, this is what we're doing!"?

FCSwatcher
November 22nd, 2015, 07:07 PM
If all the resumes were compared with the actual team name redacted, I will admit that SHSU (and others) shouldn't be in based on the games played. But, whether you like it or not, reputation plays a part, as well as the knowledge of how much schools bid for first round home games.

Exactly. You here it all the time, "historically .... Never does well"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

clenz
November 22nd, 2015, 07:09 PM
Because Dannen should have pulled out his .40 and said "**** the rules, this is what we're doing!"?

Duh...

Though I do wonder how much of a "give me WIU for all 5 on one side" talk took place

Sycamore62
November 22nd, 2015, 07:17 PM
Maybe they wanted to guarantee 50% competitive games.

TypicalTribe
November 22nd, 2015, 07:30 PM
Just wanted to build on my original post and address some other thoughts that have been mentioned. First, I am not against rematches, just the kind that are orchestrated by the committee and don't give us anything new. Rematches that come about because both teams win their way there can be compelling. Indeed the Tribe has had memorable ones against Delaware, JMU and Villanova in the last decade or so. But this one with Richmond is ridiculous and from the Spiders side more than anything. They won a huge rivalry game and finished as CAA co-champs, got the autobid and even a seed and their reward is? Yep, the exact same opponent. How stupid is that? Yes, the Spiders have a bye week but since the teams already know each other so well and just played, there's essentially no tactical advantage to another week of preparation.

A couple of other points. First, there is no possible way UNH should get a home game. If it's so easy to send Fordham all the way to Chattanooga, why not send Colgate there instead and have New Hampshire play on the road at Fordham? That would be an intriguing matchup and right in New York City, no less.

Lastly, there's a lot of talk about regionalization, but what we're really looking at is more like hyperregionalization, in fact localization. There's always been regional matchups but the committee doesn't even try to set up good interconference matchups if there's a conference rematch to be had. The CCU/Citadel/CSU and W&M/Duq/UR pods are a perfect example. Just switch up the seed lines and there could be some really compelling second round battles. Do the same thing with SDSU/Montana and SUU/SHSU and you get rid of two more rematches.

All in all, I think the committee did a solid job with the seeds, but then just got lazy and the first couple of rounds of the playoffs will lack some additional buzz because of it. It's a shame.

penguinpower
November 22nd, 2015, 07:56 PM
How?

It is about influence. If you have the strongest conference why should you be penalized by putting all teams in one bracket? If Mike Slive of the SEC were involved fairness would take place. Isn't #16 supposed to play #1 and so on??? Why force several top 10 teams in one bracket? It has to do with respect and influence to me.

PantherRob82
November 22nd, 2015, 08:10 PM
It is about influence. If you have the strongest conference why should you be penalized by putting all teams in one bracket? If Mike Slive of the SEC were involved fairness would take place. Isn't #16 supposed to play #1 and so on??? Why force several top 10 teams in one bracket? It has to do with respect and influence to me.

But 16 isn't supposed to play 1.

The rules are, seed the top 8, then minimize travel.

BisonTru
November 22nd, 2015, 08:11 PM
Lastly, there's a lot of talk about regionalization, but what we're really looking at is more like hyperregionalization, in fact localization. There's always been regional matchups but the committee doesn't even try to set up good interconference matchups if there's a conference rematch to be had. The CCU/Citadel/CSU and W&M/Duq/UR pods are a perfect example. Just switch up the seed lines and there could be some really compelling second round battles. Do the same thing with SDSU/Montana and SUU/SHSU and you get rid of two more rematches.

All in all, I think the committee did a solid job with the seeds, but then just got lazy and the first couple of rounds of the playoffs will lack some additional buzz because of it. It's a shame.

What's odd, is so many posters will hang on to some argument like # of D1 wins, quality of wins, fbs wins, bad losses, ect. as support to why team A is in or out, but the committee has came up with all kinds of reasons to bump a team in or out.

But regionalization of the first two rounds always comes as a shock. This is the one area they have been consistent on year in and year out. Nobody likes it, but it sure as hell is predictable.

penguinpower
November 22nd, 2015, 08:15 PM
But 16 isn't supposed to play 1.

The rules are, seed the top 8, then minimize travel.

Yea you are correct but before the travel BS it used to be a true tournament where you were rewarded for being seeded etc...

PantherRob82
November 22nd, 2015, 08:40 PM
Yea you are correct but before the travel BS it used to be a true tournament where you were rewarded for being seeded etc...

That was a really long time ago and had nothing to do with Patti V.

The Yo Show
November 22nd, 2015, 08:55 PM
If everyone is worried about travel costs, why not have the NCAA "guarantee" travel expenses for seeds 9-24 if we do a 1-8 bye ect? The NCAA does alot of redistribution of wealth (and that is their claim to fame). If they are going to do that and take cuts of the money for operations, why not make it part of the operations so we can have an actual seeded tournament and teams won't gripe for travel expenses and fans get interesting matchups???

jmufan999
November 22nd, 2015, 08:58 PM
If everyone is worried about travel costs, why not have the NCAA "guarantee" travel expenses for seeds 9-24 if we do a 1-8 bye ect? The NCAA does alot of redistribution of wealth (and that is their claim to fame). If they are going to do that and take cuts of the money for operations, why not make it part of the operations so we can have an actual seeded tournament and teams won't gripe for travel expenses and fans get interesting matchups???

because it's not about interesting matchups for them. it's about money. nothing else. they believe they have found a way to make the most money possible. we can disagree, but we don't have access to their books.

when in doubt, just remember that they ONLY care about money, and they think they have cracked that code.

Panther-State
November 22nd, 2015, 09:02 PM
redistribution of wealth

x406xF***ing socialist

BisonTru
November 22nd, 2015, 09:07 PM

The NCAA pays for all of the travel expense as well as hotels, refs, ect. for all the games. That's why cost-cutting measures are in place like regionalization for the first two rounds. Like it or not, they are not going to lose money on this tournament just so we don't see a few repeat match-ups.

The Yo Show
November 22nd, 2015, 09:14 PM
x406xF***ing socialist

I was just pointing out that the reason they exist and take money is because that is what they as an organization do. They claim they charge money to you and your school's athletic events so that they can use their operations money to help fund tournaments and different athletic things for schools. Its just so ironic that they don't actually do those things like they say.

Not that it matters, but for the record, I personally I identify conservative.

Sycamore62
November 22nd, 2015, 09:20 PM
Id be surprised if the whole tournament is a money loser.

Redbird Recon
November 22nd, 2015, 09:25 PM
I think it's important to note the difference between bad decisions made by the committee, NCAA mandates of the committee, and conspiracy theories.

Missingnumber7
November 22nd, 2015, 10:04 PM
It's time to seed the top 16 teams and THEN you can regionalize the other 8 teams. The best thing about our playoff runs the last 5 years was all the different teams we got to see and go up against. The only 3 teams we've seen more than once was Georgia Southern in the semi's (which was earned so no big deal) Sam Houston in the semi's or finals (which again was earned so no big deal) and SDSU which is because they are right down the road. It almost seemed like this bracket was put together to give the smaller conferences a huge advantage of advancing.

Coastal in the quarters last two years.

frozennorth
November 22nd, 2015, 10:29 PM

Are you kidding me? The MVFC got a 6-5 team in the playoff over 7-4 Big Sky and CAA teams. If anything this a a huge flex of the conference's muscle, and will have clear benefits if WIU goes deep.

Redbird Recon
November 22nd, 2015, 10:53 PM
And the world changes...

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 22nd, 2015, 11:00 PM

It was especially rewarding if you were Marshall! Huntington in mid December was always lovely.....

Lehigh Football Nation
November 22nd, 2015, 11:05 PM
There's a lot of talk about regionalization, but what we're really looking at is more like hyperregionalization, in fact localization. There's always been regional matchups but the committee doesn't even try to set up good interconference matchups if there's a conference rematch to be had. The CCU/Citadel/CSU and W&M/Duq/UR pods are a perfect example. Just switch up the seed lines and there could be some really compelling second round battles. Do the same thing with SDSU/Montana and SUU/SHSU and you get rid of two more rematches.

Just wanted to say how much I agree with the underlined part of this sentence. The only way you get blatant 1st round rematches (Colgate/UNH), unnecessary dilution of rivalry games (likely Richmond/William and Mary 2nd round), the obvious pod that sets up a 100% chance of a rematch (Citadel/Coastal vs. Chuck South) is when you go beyond regionalization and get to hyperregionalization.

The only exception I have to this rule is a possible Montana/NDSU matchup in the second round, which instantly becomes must-see TV. But that's only must-see TV (if it happens) because that was the very first game of the season, that game was an instant classic, and an eon has happened since they first played this season. To set up a Richmond/William and Mary rematch two weeks after the 125th meeting is ridiculous.

URMite
November 22nd, 2015, 11:18 PM
I really did think they would eliminate travel costs by having us play the winner of EIU @UNI instead.

Then they could just ride the plane with the UNI basketball team coming to Richmond the same day...

Missingnumber7
November 22nd, 2015, 11:40 PM
Just wanted to say how much I agree with the underlined part of this sentence. The only way you get blatant 1st round rematches (Colgate/UNH), unnecessary dilution of rivalry games (likely Richmond/William and Mary 2nd round), the obvious pod that sets up a 100% chance of a rematch (Citadel/Coastal vs. Chuck South) is when you go beyond regionalization and get to hyperregionalization.

The only exception I have to this rule is a possible Montana/NDSU matchup in the second round, which instantly becomes must-see TV. But that's only must-see TV (if it happens) because that was the very first game of the season, that game was an instant classic, and an eon has happened since they first played this season. To set up a Richmond/William and Mary rematch two weeks after the 125th meeting is ridiculous.

If you go back to 2012 there have been 7 regular season conference rematches.

EWU/UM Game was 12/6 reg season was 11/8
ISUR/UNI was 12/6 reg season was 11/1
NDSU/SDSU game was 12/6 reg season was 11/1

EIU/TN St was 12/7 reg season was 10/26
SELA/SHSU was 12/7 reg season was 11/16
Maine/UNH was 12/7 reg season was 11/23

NDSU/SDSU was 12/1 reg season was 11/10

This year there are 2 2nd round game that may not be a rematch not all conference rematches.
JSU/Chatty played 9/5 did not play Fordham...if they were paired with EIU 11/7
ISUR/WIU played 10/24 did not play Dayton...if they paired with SDSU 11/7 UNI 10/3
NDSU/UM 8/29 SDSU 10/3 if paired with WIU 11/7 UNI 10/10
McNeese/SHSU 11/7 didn't play SUU
JMU did not play UNH or Colgate
PSU didn't play UNI or EIU
Richmond/W&M 11/21 didn't play Duquesne
CSU/CCU 10/31 The Citadel 10/26

Just looking at this there are many obvious things they could've changed.

Theee Catrabbit
November 22nd, 2015, 11:58 PM
I'm going to come right out and say it.....this bracket.....this bracket......this bracket ain't my kind of bracket! I haven't seen a screw job like this since they built that one bridge! And teams that aren't in should be in and other teams in should be out! I have other stern words and stuff but it's time for Walking Dead......

penguinpower
November 23rd, 2015, 06:12 AM
Are you kidding me? The MVFC got a 6-5 team in the playoff over 7-4 Big Sky and CAA teams. If anything this a a huge flex of the conference's muscle, and will have clear benefits if WIU goes deep.

What are you talking about? Only 1 MVFC team will go deep. They put all of them on one side. That is my whole point. Obviously other conferences were pissed that the national championship was for the conference title. They forced a second season through the MVFC by placing a 5 teams in one bracket.

penguinpower
November 23rd, 2015, 06:22 AM
Also, Patty Viberito and Mike Kern are both weak in their jobs. How could you impose a replay rule in the conference where teams could elect to participate? If that isn't the dumbest ****ing thing I've ever seen. From week to week you don't know who has replay yet all games are televised. It's like the wild west.

Then to see that the entire conference placed on one side of the bracket is just unbelievable.

Skyhawk71
November 23rd, 2015, 06:28 PM
Playoffs will remain the same next year, and the next year, and the next year.......and all of the crying on AGS will not change that.........it will be OK.........nobody outside of this forum cares.......or will they ever care...........it is way more important for your school to win a first round MBB tournament game........as bad as you may hate it......more people outside of this little group of diehards have heard of Florida Gulf Coast than North Dakota State

centennial
November 23rd, 2015, 06:35 PM
Playoffs will remain the same next year, and the next year, and the next year.......and all of the crying on AGS will not change that.........it will be OK.........nobody outside of this forum cares.......or will they ever care...........it is way more important for your school to win a first round MBB tournament game........as bad as you may hate it......more people outside of this little group of diehards have heard of Florida Gulf Coast than North Dakota State
Majority of college football fans I meet now know about NDSU, comparing to MBB isn't fair. Even then we have been to the dance 2 years in a row, we did better against Gonzaga than Iowa, and UCLA, the year before we knocked out Oklahoma.

Bisonoline
November 23rd, 2015, 06:41 PM

Ive never heard of Florida Gulf Coast.xeyebrowx

Skyhawk71
November 23rd, 2015, 06:41 PM
Majority of college football fans I meet now know about NDSU, comparing to MBB isn't fair. Even then we have been to the dance 2 years in a row, we did better against Gonzaga than Iowa, and UCLA, the year before we knocked out Oklahoma.

I was not trying to be offensive there, "real" football fans know who NDSU is.......there are just not that many of them.......you have strong men's and women's basketball teams......I know that as well.......you are giving the average P5 fan outside the Midwest way too much credit

MacThor
November 24th, 2015, 12:32 AM
The playoffs are too big. If they took it back to 20 teams they could easily come up with a better bracket.

MSUBobcat
November 24th, 2015, 12:54 AM
What's odd, is so many posters will hang on to some argument like # of D1 wins, quality of wins, fbs wins, bad losses, ect. as support to why team A is in or out, but the committee has came up with all kinds of reasons to bump a team in or out.

But regionalization of the first two rounds always comes as a shock. This is the one area they have been consistent on year in and year out. Nobody likes it, but it sure as hell is predictable.

xoutofrepx

Cocky
November 24th, 2015, 05:17 AM
Ive never heard of Florida Gulf Coast.xeyebrowx
Where is it? And I assume Florida but what town? Are they DI, DII or DIII?

caribbeanhen
November 24th, 2015, 05:28 AM

I learned a lot about the state of North Dakota because of the football team