PDA

View Full Version : Quote from Mark Speir yesterday regarding WCU's chances for the field of 24

catamount man
November 22nd, 2015, 12:06 PM
"What our team has got to learn is we don’t want to let a group of men in Indianapolis or group of football teams across the country decide whether we get to play again or not. We’ve got to control our own destiny.” - WCU head coach Mark Speir, 11/21/15, after WCU beat VMI 24-20, via the Catamount Sports Network radio broadcast.

Already ready for spring football. CATS in 2016! GO CATS!

BisonFan02
November 22nd, 2015, 12:12 PM
You can start controlling your own destiny by not playing 2 FBS games and a DII.

centennial
November 22nd, 2015, 12:14 PM
"What our team has got to learn is we don’t want to let a group of men in Indianapolis or group of football teams across the country decide whether we get to play again or not. We’ve got to control our own destiny.” - WCU head coach Mark Speir, 11/21/15, after WCU beat VMI 24-20, via the Catamount Sports Network radio broadcast.

Already ready for spring football. CATS in 2016! GO CATS!

WCU is a solid team, however you have to stop scheduling yourselves out of the playoffs. Play 1 FBS at most, no DII, and try to win 8 games.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 22nd, 2015, 12:15 PM
You can start controlling your own destiny by not playing 2 FBS games and a DII.

That would be a great start!

catamount man
November 22nd, 2015, 12:15 PM
Guys, if I had any control over scheduling we'd NEVER play another D2 or multiple FBS teams again. Unfortunately for over 30 years, PISS-ASS POOR University leadership left athletics all but broke. Trying to rebuild. But we play at South Carolina next November. Here's hoping we pull a Citadel against the Gamecocks as well. Damn, would that be sweet! GO CATS!!!

CID1990
November 22nd, 2015, 01:04 PM
WCU is a solid team, however you have to stop scheduling yourselves out of the playoffs. Play 1 FBS at most, no DII, and try to win 8 games.

We're doing the same thing next season with North Greenville.

Unfortunately, we have a one-off hole in our schedule and we can't get an FCS team that won't demand a home and home.

Sometimes you just don't have a choice in the matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

centennial
November 22nd, 2015, 01:06 PM
We're doing the same thing next season with North Greenville.

Unfortunately, we have a one-off hole in our schedule and we can't get an FCS team that won't demand a home and home.

Sometimes you just don't have a choice in the matter.

Nothing wrong with a H-H. Wish we could one with a team like The Citadel.

catamount man
November 22nd, 2015, 01:25 PM
I know we have 2 FBS in both '16 and '17 but so far only one in '18 and '19 and I hope it stays that way. GO CATS!!!

centennial
November 22nd, 2015, 01:38 PM
I know we have 2 FBS in both '16 and '17 but so far only one in '18 and '19 and I hope it stays that way. GO CATS!!!
Makes it that much harder. Either you get good enough, and win one FBS game each season, or you need to be flawless otherwise.

CID1990
November 22nd, 2015, 02:32 PM

The problem is that for this particular slot in the schedule we don't have a return game to give. If we did we would likely be playing a Big South team H-H or maybe SCSU

ST_Lawson
November 22nd, 2015, 03:42 PM

Same here...I'd take a H&H with The Citadel. The only non-military institution with a military nickname vs a quality old-school military school. That'd be fun.

catamount man
November 22nd, 2015, 06:36 PM
I'd like a home and home with the Leathernecks. I get tired of playing BIG SOUTH schools. GO CATS!

SDFS
November 22nd, 2015, 07:42 PM
Why all it takes is 6 wins and lots of quality loses.

JSUSoutherner
November 22nd, 2015, 08:02 PM
But we play at South Carolina next November. Here's hoping we pull a Citadel against the Gamecocks as well. Damn, would that be sweet! GO CATS!!!
Given the caliber of the coaches eyeing that job I'm going to wish you guys a LOT of luck. Hope you can pull it off. That would be completely awesome! You guys wreck USC and we will go down to the Bayou and wreck some Cajuns! SEC won't know what him 'em.

walliver
November 23rd, 2015, 01:10 PM
The second FBS game hurt. The D2 win didn't help but didn't hurt that bad. The real issue is that you only beat one D-I team with a winning record (and that was 6-5 Samford). To be quite honest, there was not a single high quality win on your resume. Much of that was due to the current state of the SoCon. Hopefully WC and FU will start playing competitive football and Mercer will continue to improve, and we will get 3 in next year.

chattownmocs
November 23rd, 2015, 02:00 PM
Tired of hearing the term "resume" attached to fcs football. This is not college basketball, these teams are not playing 30+ games and 10+ OOC games to see who is who. It just ridiculous.

PantherRob82
November 23rd, 2015, 02:41 PM
Tired of hearing the term "resume" attached to fcs football. This is not college basketball, these teams are not playing 30+ games and 10+ OOC games to see who is who. It just ridiculous.

A resume is a resume whether you have had 11 jobs or 30. ;)

RabidRabbit
November 23rd, 2015, 02:54 PM
Why all it takes is 6 wins and lots of quality loses.

Western IL got in due to the W's vs play-off teams (3) rather than their losses. (NW (of B1G), CCU, NDSU, IL St, SIU?) Only 1 loss to a non-play-off team or FBS. Wasn't WIU the team who didn't play Mo St?

Catamount87
November 24th, 2015, 10:15 AM

Sadly, the scheduling is a product of budgetary considerations. Those 2 FBS games account for about 8% of the entire athletic budget! The D2 game means a guaranteed home game and the additional revenue that brings us too.

Do any of the Catamount faithful like this scheduling situation? Absolutely not. But we do understand the reasons behind it and also realize it's not something that will change dramatically in the near future. We do hope that the D2 game gets replaced by a lower level FCS game which helps the situation when it comes to playoff selection. That said, most agree, Mars Hill was much stronger competition than say Davidson. Look no further than the UTC/Mars Hill game this year for further confirmation of that.

catamount man
November 25th, 2015, 06:12 AM
Sadly, the scheduling is a product of budgetary considerations. Those 2 FBS games account for about 8% of the entire athletic budget! The D2 game means a guaranteed home game and the additional revenue that brings us too.

Do any of the Catamount faithful like this scheduling situation? Absolutely not. But we do understand the reasons behind it and also realize it's not something that will change dramatically in the near future. We do hope that the D2 game gets replaced by a lower level FCS game which helps the situation when it comes to playoff selection. That said, most agree, Mars Hill was much stronger competition than say Davidson. Look no further than the UTC/Mars Hill game this year for further confirmation of that.

I think we'll be D2 free the next four seasons IF the G-Webb series starts in 2016. We'll play twelve games in '17 due to the trip to Hawaii and we've already signed Davidson to come to Cullowhee instead of a D2 that season. From what I've gathered, Eaton is doing all he can to cut off the D2 games. Kudos to Randy! GO CATS!

MR. CHICKEN
November 25th, 2015, 07:19 AM
Guys, if I had any control over scheduling we'd NEVER play another D2 or multiple FBS teams again. Unfortunately for over 30 years, PISS-ASS POOR University leadership left athletics all but broke. Trying to rebuild. But we play at South Carolina next November. Here's hoping we pull a Citadel against the Gamecocks as well. Damn, would that be sweet! GO CATS!!!

.....SKED DUH PAYDAY GAME...EARLY....LIKE GAME #1.....DAT LOSS WILL BE LONG FO'GOTTEN......BAH NOVEMBER......&....IFIN' YA WIN IT........INCLUDE IT TA EVERAH POST...DURIN' DUH SEASON.......AWK!

Catamount87
November 25th, 2015, 08:10 AM
I think we'll be D2 free the next four seasons IF the G-Webb series starts in 2016. We'll play twelve games in '17 due to the trip to Hawaii and we've already signed Davidson to come to Cullowhee instead of a D2 that season. From what I've gathered, Eaton is doing all he can to cut off the D2 games. Kudos to Randy! GO CATS!

In talking with him before the VMI game, I did get the impression that long term he wants to move away from 2 FBS games too, especially a late season one. But for the foreseeable future it's part of our reality, like it or not.

CID1990
November 25th, 2015, 08:27 AM
Adding ETSU to the slate is going to be helpful in some cases. It will tighten up SoCon schedules where we don't find ourselves looking for that extra game. However with tighter schedules we will have less ability to guarantee H-H arrangements. Some of us will opt for FBS and some will opt for D-II.

Personally, I prefer FBS because you don't have to beat them. A 7-4 team with 2 respectable FBS losses is better off than one with one FBS loss and a D-II win.

All that said, I'd like to see the SoCon get back to being a 3-bid conference, and adding another member will help.

Having both The Citadel and Chatty make deep runs this year would help too.

RabidRabbit
November 25th, 2015, 12:46 PM
The good news is that WCU isn't in a league that schedules 9 conference games. (**Cough** SLC), and then plays an FBS team AND a D-2 (SLC had 3 FCS OOC games TOTAL (12 teams, come on man!) And the SLC goose egged the W column on those 3. That a strong reason why only two SLC team. SWAC and MEAC bring similar issues, and then compound by not playing non-HBCU's for OOC for the most part. Tough to get comparables when don't link to other schools.