PDA

View Full Version : Committee got it wrong

Pages : [1] 2

paytonlives
November 22nd, 2015, 11:23 AM
Western Ill. being in is a joke (Lost 3 of last 5 and got beat 59-7 by ND State!!!)
Eastern Ill. Being in is a joke close second. (Beat 7 cupcakes and went 0-4 vs the good teams they played)

North Dakota, NAU & N.C. A&T Should all have better resumes...

IBleedYellow
November 22nd, 2015, 11:28 AM
UND should have been in over EIU, no doubt about it.

Engineer86
November 22nd, 2015, 11:31 AM
Very simply, there several teams that got in who did not deserve to be in, but that does not mean teams that got left out. What it means is the playoffs would be much better if the field shrunk to 20 teams. I can't post on the poll thread because to do so, you need to vote that one of those teams deserves to be in. They don't, none of them have done anything that warrants consideration. Just like some of the last few in.

Nickels
November 22nd, 2015, 11:34 AM
Very simply, there several teams that got in who did not deserve to be in, but that does not mean teams that got left out. What it means is the playoffs would be much better if the field shrunk to 20 teams. I can't post on the poll thread because to do so, you need to vote that one of those teams deserves to be in. They don't, none of them have done anything that warrants consideration. Just like some of the last few in.
This

dbackjon
November 22nd, 2015, 11:35 AM
The big sky got screwed over alll

melloware13
November 22nd, 2015, 11:38 AM
Western Ill. being in is a joke (Lost 3 of last 5 and got beat 59-7 by ND State!!!)
Eastern Ill. Being in is a joke close second. (Beat 7 cupcakes and went 0-4 vs the good teams they played)

North Dakota, NAU &N.C. A&T Should all have better resumes...
NCAT is in the Celebration Bowl (woohoo?).

Professor Chaos
November 22nd, 2015, 11:38 AM
This
FWIW, if the playoffs were 20 teams SHSU would be in their offseason. They said during the selection show that EIU, WIU, SHSU, and UNH were the last 4 in.

knucklehead
November 22nd, 2015, 11:40 AM
Worst bracket I've seen in years

JALMOND
November 22nd, 2015, 11:42 AM
The big sky got screwed over alll

You could say that. Both NAU and UND deserve to be in. But I think they did put the correct three Big Sky teams in that have the best shot at the national title.

UNHWildcat18
November 22nd, 2015, 11:44 AM
I think if you replace UND with WIU the teams in are just fine. I don't see a team other than UND that should be in over any of the last 4 in. Fordham was 9-2 but they failed to win the patriot yet no one mentions them lol.

Gil Dobie
November 22nd, 2015, 11:47 AM
I think if you replace UND with WIU the teams in are just fine. I don't see a team other than UND that should be in over any of the last 4 in. Fordham was 9-2 but they failed to win the patriot yet no one mentions them lol.

Have you looked at WIU's schedule? WIU and UND over EIU.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 22nd, 2015, 11:48 AM
You could say that. Both NAU and UND deserve to be in. But I think they did put the correct three Big Sky teams in that have the best shot at the national title.

We need to stop using the word "deserve" so loosely. If you are outside the top 16 I don't think it can be said that you deserved ****. You could have been considered but there are arguments to make every which way at that point.

I don't think UND, NAU, and probably even Montana would go into a game with WIU as a clear favorite and I'd say it is 50/50 at best. That can be said for most all the teams outside the top 10 or so as well.

Gil Dobie
November 22nd, 2015, 11:49 AM
We need to stop using the word "deserve" so loosely. If you are outside the top 16 I don't think it can be said that you deserved ****. You could have been considered but there are arguments to make every which way at that point.

I don't think UND, NAU, and probably even Montana would go into a game with WIU as a clear favorite and I'd say it is 50/50 at best. That can be said for most all the teams outside the top 10 or so as well.

I would put Montana as the favorite, not UND or NAU.

RootinFerDukes
November 22nd, 2015, 11:49 AM

WIU in is a joke. I agree. UND got screwed more than any team nationwide by that. I think the Citadel might not have been in until they beat USC too. That hurt bubble teams.
EIU in is certainly questionable, but that is clearly the committee feeling they HAD to put a second OVC team in. Why that's set in stone is beyond me.

NC A&T having a better resume than any bubble team is the biggest joke of your post. Give me a break. The committee got some things wrong, but leaving the MEAC out of the field was one of the better things they did. They have their bowl game to play.

clenz
November 22nd, 2015, 11:50 AM
I'm not sold on WIU but they did technically finish 3rd in the MVFC.

I've long said they have the best combo of QB/RB/WR in the league. They just aren't consistently able to put anything together

BisonFan02
November 22nd, 2015, 11:51 AM
WIU in is a joke. I agree. UND got screwed more than any team nationwide by that. I think the Citadel might not have been in until they beat USC too. That hurt bubble teams.
EIU in is certainly questionable, but that is clearly the committee feeling they HAD to put a second OVC team in. Why that's set in stone is beyond me.

NC A&T having a better resume than any bubble team is the biggest joke of your post. Give me a break.

I think The Citadel was in regardless with Coastal and CCU....WIU is in because they will beat Dayton and be a bus ride to ISUr....SDSU screwed UND by losing.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 22nd, 2015, 11:52 AM

Compared to everyone else Fordham's resume was simply "solid". No bad losses, ('Nova w/Robertson and @ Colgate), 9 D1 wins that included ones that were just good enough imo (FBS Army, Penn, Lehigh and Holy Cross).

RootinFerDukes
November 22nd, 2015, 11:54 AM
they're a repeat playoff team and the committee must love them. If they lost one more they wouldn't have made the field. They also beat an FBS. I think the PL is one bid though but the committee disagrees.

UNHWildcat18
November 22nd, 2015, 11:55 AM

......that's fair lol

RootinFerDukes
November 22nd, 2015, 11:55 AM
No team that loses to another FCS team 59-7 should be in the playoff field with only 6 wins.

LeeshaJo
November 22nd, 2015, 11:57 AM
I think The Citadel was in regardless with Coastal and CCU....WIU is in because they will beat Dayton and be a bus ride to ISUr....SDSU screwed UND by losing.
Nobody got screwed more than SDSU by losing yesterday... top 5? Seed to ...Montana to NDSU. Yeah... sorry. The aJackrabbits ***** the bed and paged for it....HUGE:(

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

BisonFan02
November 22nd, 2015, 11:57 AM
Nobody got screwed more than SDSU by losing yesterday... top 5? Seed to ...Montana to NDSU. Yeah... sorry. The aJackrabbits ***** the bed and paged for it....HUGE:(

Again....SDSU had ONE job..............

WTFCollegefootballfan
November 22nd, 2015, 11:59 AM
I'm not sold on WIU but they did technically finish 3rd in the MVFC.

I've long said they have the best combo of QB/RB/WR in the league. They just aren't consistently able to put anything together
But the just lost to NDSU 59 to 7.

Gil Dobie
November 22nd, 2015, 12:00 PM
No team that loses to another FCS team 59-7 should be in the playoff field with only 6 wins.

They didn't lose to a 2-9 team either.

BisonFan02

Go pull the stats for the NDSU/UND game......

WTFCollegefootballfan
They need to get a new committee. This bracket is a joke. Looks like a politics was involved.

FordhamFan
November 22nd, 2015, 12:01 PM
Compared to everyone else Fordham's resume was simply "solid". No bad losses, ('Nova w/Robertson and @ Colgate), 9 D1 wins that included ones that were just good enough imo (FBS Army, Penn, Lehigh and Holy Cross).

I think that's spot on. Fordham certainly isn't much better than a lot of teams sitting at home, but when you beat an FBS and generally take care of business, it's better than 7-4. That's just how it works.

As for WIU, I don't think anybody is ragging on the MVFC when they say they don't deserve to get in. There's no doubt that their best wins are better than the other bubble teams. But they have moles too. Youngstown isn't anything special this year and getting absolutely demolished in a few games is a terrible look.

I personally would have put in UND over them, but the outrage people have is completely unwarranted. You can make legit arguments for a bunch of teams, and WIU has more good wins than all of them.

IBleedYellow
November 22nd, 2015, 12:02 PM

SHHHHHHHHH. The MVFC hate is out right now, don't give them facts that will shut them up.

clenz
But the just lost to NDSU 59 to 7.

Yep

That was a complete and anomaly

UND had negative total yards at half vs NDSU and could have been beaten worse than WIU if NDSU wanted too that day

What's your point?

FCSwatcher
Don't think the UND choice is right, and there will always be this issue with a selection committee.

It would be nice to watch the committee make the selections do we could understand the Whys. Put an iPad in the room and stream it for free on ustream.tv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LeeshaJo
November 22nd, 2015, 12:03 PM
Again....SDSU had ONE job..............
Remember the old movie plane, trains and automobiles? Yeah that was SDSU this weekend. What a cluster. Sad thing is there is no excuse. Win the f#@$!ng game. Don't run the freaking wildcat and turn the ball over then forget to play d. Instead of 17-3. It was 10-10.

IBleedYellow
November 22nd, 2015, 12:04 PM
They need to get a new committee. This bracket is a joke. Looks like a politics was involved.

The entire Valley being on one side is politics.

UND not making it is SOS.

WTFCollegefootballfan
November 22nd, 2015, 12:05 PM

I could care less about UND.

F'N Hawks
November 22nd, 2015, 12:15 PM
I could care less about UND.

Thanks for quantifying how much you do care about UND. I couldn't care less about NDSU.

IBleedYellow
November 22nd, 2015, 12:17 PM
Thanks for quantifying how much you do care about UND. I couldn't care less about NDSU.
As you both should.

However as a poll voter I have to pay attention to both...and many other voters here have to aswell.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

katstrapper
November 22nd, 2015, 12:24 PM
FWIW, if the playoffs were 20 teams SHSU would be in their offseason. They said during the selection show that EIU, WIU, SHSU, and UNH were the last 4 in.

SHSU would have made field of 20 being ranked in top 10 in final poll and demolishing UCA on the road. They were included in last 4 four because they were one of the later games played.

leatherneck177
November 22nd, 2015, 12:27 PM
I'm not going to waste time putting it together but take the last four in and the first four out. Look at SOS and the quality wins each has. I think they got it right obviously, with EIU being the questionable team in.

It it is a lazy argument to just say because they were 6-5 they didn't deserve it. If 6 is the number of wins to be considered...then what is the problem. I think it's nice to see that they rewarded a team with an extremely challenging schedule with quality wins. How many other teams in this field had 6 Top 50 wins or more?

RootinFerDukes
November 22nd, 2015, 12:32 PM
I wouldn't say the entire MVFC being on one side is politics, it's more their bullsh.it regionalization rule. JMU has been screwed in some early matchups in years past due to it, so I only feel so bad.

Sycamore62
November 22nd, 2015, 12:37 PM
ISUb had 5 losses last year and was the last team in and won the first round vs a non-pioneer league. WIU would make games vs all the non-seeds

ursus arctos horribilis
November 22nd, 2015, 12:50 PM

That single game crap is a load of bull RFD. They could have been left out for sure but look at the ass kicking UND took to another FCS as well if we need to bring up some single game reasoning.

goyotes
November 22nd, 2015, 12:51 PM
A 24 team bracket insures the 16 most deserving teams get in. If you cannot make an argument that your team is in the top 16, you have no reason to complain about being excluded.

RootinFerDukes
November 22nd, 2015, 12:53 PM
That single game crap is a load of bull RFD. They could have been left out for sure but look at the ass kicking UND took to another FCS as well if we need to bring up some single game reasoning.
yes i'm being a hypocrite there, especially when I am arguing for JMU to be seeded ahead of UR.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 22nd, 2015, 12:53 PM

Oh hell, I was talking about just the Montana game in my first post to him but that is another good one if we are using one game analysis type stuff.

SDFS
November 22nd, 2015, 12:55 PM

You need to look at SHSU and EIU then..

BisonTru
November 22nd, 2015, 12:55 PM
Looking at the 4 pods, the JMU/McNeese bracket seems like the easiest. JSU despite getting the top seed, doesn't have that easy of a road. Most likely have to face off against Chatty right out of the gate. Then they'll have to face off against either The Cit's who just beat USC or a Chuck South who hasn't yet lost to FCS competition.

F'N Hawks
November 22nd, 2015, 01:00 PM
Oh hell, I was talking about just the Montana game in my first post to him but that is another good one if we are using one game analysis type stuff.

Like the ass kicking Montana took vs Portland State? We can go round and round.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 22nd, 2015, 01:02 PM
A 24 team bracket insures the 16 most deserving teams get in. If you cannot make an argument that your team is in the top 16, you have no reason to complain about being excluded.

That has been my feeling from the beginning of the expansion. There is zero for anyone to have solid footing on now with the bitching about what or who should have been in. It just a case of less smelly turds as far as playoff teams go when you are talking about the last few in.

THE HERD
November 22nd, 2015, 01:03 PM

NC A&T having a better resume than any bubble team is the biggest joke of your post. Give me a break. The committee got some things wrong, but leaving the MEAC out of the field was one of the better things they did. They have their bowl game to play.

I think UND would have been in if the Citadel didn't upset South Carolina.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 22nd, 2015, 01:04 PM
Like the ass kicking Montana took vs Portland State? We can go round and round.

No **** , that is what I am saying.

THE HERD
November 22nd, 2015, 01:07 PM

Leathernecks will take down Dayton......book it!

BisonTru
November 22nd, 2015, 01:08 PM

Bold!

F'N Hawks
November 22nd, 2015, 01:08 PM
No **** , that is what I am saying.

Sorry tough guy. GFY.

centennial
November 22nd, 2015, 01:09 PM
Should be any different from playing Missouri State IMO.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 22nd, 2015, 01:09 PM

Any of the teams being commented on would. That isn't really in too much question here and is not the measure I would not think.

Bison56
November 22nd, 2015, 01:10 PM
Sorry tough guy. GFY.

What a d-bag

ursus arctos horribilis
November 22nd, 2015, 01:12 PM
Sorry tough guy. GFY.

I figured you may have got it wrong so I softened the response as it was a bit overboard. I apologize for that.

F'N Hawks
November 22nd, 2015, 01:13 PM
I figured you may have got it wrong so I softened the response as it was a bit overboard. I apologize for that.

I am still upset, obviously. Sorry. For real.

This sucks.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 22nd, 2015, 01:14 PM
What a d-bag

My original response was harsher than what he quoted so the response was deserved. He looks bad now due to what is there but the fist one I called him numbnuts and told him to pull his head out of his ass. His response was warranted.

Bison56
November 22nd, 2015, 01:15 PM
My original response was harsher than what he quoted so the response was deserved. He looks bad now due to what is there but the fist one I called him numbnuts and told him to pull his head out of his ass. His response was warranted.

Got it. My bad.

centennial
November 22nd, 2015, 01:15 PM

This sucks.
I really really dislike UND, however you guys should have been in- over EIU. You were the first ones out.

THE HERD
November 22nd, 2015, 01:17 PM
Any of the teams being commented on would. That isn't really in too much question here and is not the measure I would not think.

WIU played the Redbirds really tough earlier this year. It wouldn't shock me if they took out the Redbirds as well.........I don't think they will, but it would not stun me if they did.

Sycamore62
November 22nd, 2015, 01:17 PM
Hell, I don't see a problem going all the way to 32. It might add some teams that would have been in without a freak injury to a VIP or something. I don't think it would be as bad as having a 6-6 team in the "Glad Force Flex trash bag bowl sponsored by Febreez"

I don't mind the bye for the seeds except that its an opinion committee and written rules like the NFL or somethinf like that.

jmufan999
November 22nd, 2015, 01:19 PM
I wouldn't say the entire MVFC being on one side is politics, it's more their bullsh.it regionalization rule. JMU has been screwed in some early matchups in years past due to it, so I only feel so bad.

exactly, especially in the mid-late 2000's: at YSU, at App State, home against a really good Wofford team as the #1 overall seed. brutal. that's the deal, though. everyone agrees the most fair thing is to seed 1-24, but they're just not going to do that.

WestCoastAggie
November 22nd, 2015, 01:19 PM
NCAT is in the Celebration Bowl (woohoo?).

Woohoo is right. We are going to get a check of at least $750,000.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 22nd, 2015, 01:20 PM
WIU played the Redbirds really tough earlier this year. It wouldn't shock me if they took out the Redbirds as well.........I don't think they will, but it would not stun me if they did.

The Lnecks have some real ability. No doubt about it.

centennial
November 22nd, 2015, 01:22 PM
The Lnecks have some real ability. No doubt about it.
They are a up and down team. Kinda like NDSU but even more inconsistent. If ISUr is having a bad day, and the WIU that beat UNI, SDSU shows up then lookout.

THE HERD
November 22nd, 2015, 01:23 PM
The biggest problem I have with the bracket is all five MV teams in the same bracket....has that ever happened before? Five teams from same conference and all get put in same bracket?

ursus arctos horribilis
November 22nd, 2015, 01:25 PM
exactly, especially in the mid-late 2000's: at YSU, at App State, home against a really good Wofford team as the #1 overall seed. brutal. that's the deal, though. everyone agrees the most fair thing is to seed 1-24, but they're just not going to do that.

I say this once a year but everyone think seeding is some great idea but it would not mean **** since the same people would be running their own ranking right? Go look at some of the old seeded years and see if those don't line up pretty well to keep travel down even before the travel thing was considered an issue.

I just don't think it would be the panacea most seem to think it would be.

THE HERD
November 22nd, 2015, 01:28 PM
I have to admit I'm really looking forward to watching the Jacks and Griz get it on in Wash-Griz! Maybe the Jacks can get a little pay back for that playoff melt down they had out there a few years ago.

ALPHAGRIZ1
November 22nd, 2015, 01:30 PM
Big Sky didn't deserve more than 2 teams our conference sucks and it's about time the committee stopped us from several routs in the first round like every year.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

jmufan999
November 22nd, 2015, 01:31 PM
I say this once a year but everyone think seeding is some great idea but it would not mean **** since the same people would be running their own ranking right? Go look at some of the old seeded years and see if those don't line up pretty well to keep travel down even before the travel thing was considered an issue.

I just don't think it would be the panacea most seem to think it would be.

think it goes without saying that seeding 1-24 is on the assumption that they're seeded fairly/accurately. if they're not going to do that, what other solution is there? at the very least, you take the bids (which are also unfair) out of the equation. it's easily the most logical solution, but obviously if there are shenanigans with the committee, what are you supposed to do about it?

FCS suffers because few people care. that means the committee can get away with just about anything, because there is no pressure from throngs of fans and the media.

centennial
November 22nd, 2015, 01:33 PM
Big Sky didn't deserve more than 2 teams our conference sucks and it's about time the committee stopped us from several routs in the first round like every year.

You know that would have left Montana out? With Gustafson, I believe Montana is a playoff team.

ALPHAGRIZ1
November 22nd, 2015, 01:34 PM
You will probably find out on Saturday what I watched all year long.

PantherRob82
November 22nd, 2015, 01:34 PM

This sucks.

You f***er. I neg repped him. Sorry Sioux.

NDSUtk
November 22nd, 2015, 01:39 PM
I have to wonder if it would be better to run a hybrid approach like the men's tournament does now. So with 24 teams, you rank everyone as a 1-6 seed. Your 1 & 2s get ranked 1-8 (like today) and get the byes. Then you have a set of 3-6s and you can slightly move them around regionally. If this 3 seed (which is equivalent to a 9-12) has a regional 6 they can play, that's what you match up. I haven't really looked to see if it would really fix this year, but hell, it can't hurt. It forces rankings of each team to some degree (ranked in bands minus the top 8). And still gives some ability for the committee to move folks around.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Bisonwinagn
November 22nd, 2015, 01:45 PM
I have to wonder if it would be better to run a hybrid approach like the men's tournament does now. So with 24 teams, you rank everyone as a 1-6 seed. Your 1 & 2s get ranked 1-8 (like today) and get the byes. Then you have a set of 3-6s and you can slightly move them around regionally. If this 3 seed (which is equivalent to a 9-12) has a regional 6 they can play, that's what you match up. I haven't really looked to see if it would really fix this year, but hell, it can't hurt. It forces rankings of each team to some degree (ranked in bands minus the top 8). And still gives some ability for the committee to move folks around.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

**** the ranking as the committee doesn't have a clue how to do it. Just take the GPI or sagarin and do it that way and be done with it. The other option is to demand a rule that no team can plan a team from the same conference in their first game. It would take 5 seconds to put this rule in place and prevent conference match ups. Someone please explain why the AD's haven't demanded this and fixed it already? Don't they have any balls at all to get this done.

centennial
November 22nd, 2015, 01:47 PM
**** the ranking as the committee doesn't have a clue how to do it. Just take the GPI or sagarin and do it that way and be done with it. The other option is to demand a rule that no team can plan a team from the same conference in their first game. It would take 5 seconds to put this rule in place and prevent conference match ups. Someone please explain why the AD's haven't demanded this and fixed it already? Don't they have any balls at all to get this done.
AD's from smaller conferences have no reason for this. The only ones it helps is the MVFC, CAA. We should do BCS like computer ratings, with 6 wins needed to get in, and let the computer decide.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 22nd, 2015, 01:48 PM
You f***er. I neg repped him. Sorry Sioux.

Well, I posrepped him and covered it but I've made a fairly strong case many times that negrepping is for bitches anyway.

You could have also just posrepped to cover and said you were sorry in that one...numbnuts.

xlolx

centennial
November 22nd, 2015, 01:52 PM
Well, I posrepped him and covered it but I've made a fairly strong case many times that negrepping is for bitches anyway.

You could have also just posrepped to cover and said you were sorry in that one...numbnuts.

xlolx
I felt bad for him and repped him.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 22nd, 2015, 01:52 PM
think it goes without saying that seeding 1-24 is on the assumption that they're seeded fairly/accurately. if they're not going to do that, what other solution is there? at the very least, you take the bids (which are also unfair) out of the equation. it's easily the most logical solution, but obviously if there are shenanigans with the committee, what are you supposed to do about it?

FCS suffers because few people care. that means the committee can get away with just about anything, because there is no pressure from throngs of fans and the media.

That is the thing that is missed. It would not be done that way from anything I've ever seen...even when it was done that way.

It sucks cuz I really wish it could be done like that but cost savings is always, always gonna be a part of this and the fact that it is not some big money maker also limits our voice on the matter.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 22nd, 2015, 01:53 PM
I felt bad for him and repped him.

Nice work.

underdawg
November 22nd, 2015, 01:58 PM
The biggest problem I have with the bracket is all five MV teams in the same bracket....has that ever happened before? Five teams from same conference and all get put in same bracket?ow could this happen

Ditto--happen just by accident? Committee tried to avoid two more Valley teams from battling for National Championship

PantherRob82
November 22nd, 2015, 01:59 PM

This sucks.

xlolx

It won't let me pos rep him.

Grizzlies82
November 22nd, 2015, 02:01 PM

Well good morning Debbie Downer, up to your usual... trying to pee in every ones cheerios.
Alpha when is the last time you posted something positive about the Grizzlies? Was it 2009?
You really should change your screen name.

wmmii
November 22nd, 2015, 02:01 PM
Is this not the first time at-large bid went to a 6 win school? If so that is more important for the future than the fact that UND was on the wrong end of that decision!

PantherRob82
November 22nd, 2015, 02:02 PM
Is this not the first time at-large bid went to a 6 win school? If so that is more important for the future than the fact that UND was on the wrong end of that decision!

It is not.

Grizzlies82
November 22nd, 2015, 02:06 PM
Seeding all the teams 1-24 would be a complex nightmare for the committee. That is adding more hassle than they want.

Further, it wouldn't make it any better as far as the fan is concerned. It would just change the argument. We'd be seeing something like this today, "We should be seeded #14 not 16. Also I can't believe they have E. Illinois at 22 over Dayton at 23...

F'N Hawks
November 22nd, 2015, 02:06 PM

No worries, I flew off handle. We all good dudes.

PantherRob82
November 22nd, 2015, 02:12 PM
No worries, I flew off handle. We all good dudes.

Ursus called me a bitch. We should neg rep him. xlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
November 22nd, 2015, 02:16 PM

It won't let you posrep him because you are bogarting rep you could hand out to others you cheap SOB. Give some rep to a couple others and you can hit him again. You act like this all new to you...you've been around for long enough to be known as a sage here my man.

Hell, you can't shake your way out of the multi quote can you? If you need me to call you and help let me know cuz I don't want you overwhelmed today.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 22nd, 2015, 02:18 PM
Seeding all the teams 1-24 would be a complex nightmare for the committee. That is adding more hassle than they want.

Further, it wouldn't make it any better as far as the fan is concerned. It would just change the argument. We'd be seeing something like this today, "We should be seeded #14 not 16. Also I can't believe they have E. Illinois at 22 over Dayton at 23...

There would absolutely be no less griping. You point out several of the ready made options of a fully seeded wonderland.

PantherRob82
November 22nd, 2015, 02:23 PM
It won't let you posrep him because you are bogarting rep you could hand out to others you cheap SOB. Give some rep to a couple others and you can hit him again. You act like this all new to you...you've been around for long enough to be known as a sage here my man.

Hell, you can't shake your way out of the multi quote can you? If you need me to call you and help let me know cuz I don't want you overwhelmed today.

Maybe if someone said something worth pos repping today instead of whining. :D

Bisonwinagn
November 22nd, 2015, 02:24 PM
There would absolutely be no less griping. You point out several of the ready made options of a fully seeded wonderland.

Use GPI....eliminate committee. Done everyone is happy no human bias and politics involved.

Catatonic
November 22nd, 2015, 02:24 PM
After this brief intermission we will return to our regularly scheduled "the committee blew it" observations.

I have been thinking that if/when the FBS committee ever decides to go to an 8 team format, all the "the committee blew it" arguments would go away. Having read the first 10 pages of this thread, I am rethinking my position. It does not appear 24 teams is enough. That is all. Carry on.:)

Catsfan90
November 22nd, 2015, 02:27 PM
Im still shocked at how quickly the season went. Are we seriously already about to start the playoffs??

ursus arctos horribilis
November 22nd, 2015, 02:33 PM
Ursus called me a bitch. We should neg rep him. xlolx

That would end something like this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy3MtznDeqg

Life goes on.
A man becomes preeminent he's expected to have enthusiasms...enthusiasms...enthusiasms.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 22nd, 2015, 02:34 PM
Maybe if someone said something worth pos repping today instead of whining. :D

It is a fair point.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 22nd, 2015, 02:35 PM
Use GPI....eliminate committee. Done everyone is happy no human bias and politics involved.

You are kidding right? GPI is not what anyone should basing an argument for change on.

WrenFGun
November 22nd, 2015, 02:46 PM
I believe a 6 DI win SHSU made the field last year or the year before.

WTFCollegefootballfan
November 22nd, 2015, 02:51 PM
The last two seasons where 12 game seasons, I think. No way SHSU got in with 6 wins. It was probably 7 wins, 7 and 5.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 22nd, 2015, 03:02 PM
The last two seasons where 12 game seasons, I think. No way SHSU got in with 6 wins. It was probably 7 wins, 7 and 5.

I'm pretty sure they did in 2013 or maybe 2012 but they only had 6 D1 wins and YSU/MVFC fans were livid for weeks.

Professor Chaos
It was 2013 and they were 8-4 with wins against HBU and I believe Incarnate Word which were not D1 counters at the time.

Catatonic

I count 8 wins each of the past two years, although that includes wins over two teams transitioning to the Southland Conference/FCS each year.

http://www.gobearkats.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=92957&SPID=11345&Q_SEASON=2014

BisonTru
November 22nd, 2015, 03:03 PM

Sam Houston got in at 8-4 with 6 D1 wins and 2 sub D1 wins (both transitioning). This is why I was fairly confident WIU would get in. 6 D1 wins is the threshold and once you get past that they had a very good resume to bring to the table.

Bisonwinagn
You are kidding right? GPI is not what anyone should basing an argument for change on.

I'm saying any computer system is fine and GPI includes computers and polls so it's currently the most reasonable.

Theee Catrabbit
Can we just put a sticky on this thread and just reread it every year? Teams got in or they didn't. Teams get to go where they go. It's over. sack up and play football or lets just all vote on a champion and go home.....quit your bitching

ursus arctos horribilis
November 22nd, 2015, 03:08 PM
I'm saying any computer system is fine and GPI includes computers and polls so it's currently the most reasonable.

Sorry, disagree on that one. It is better than the SRS but just proposing going with something like that is a pretty big step backward.

I am going off past years and past weeks as I did not see today's so maybe it is better but it has had lots of problems as well ranking teams.

WTFCollegefootballfan
November 22nd, 2015, 03:19 PM
Sorry, disagree on that one. It is better than the SRS but just proposing going with something like that is a pretty big step backward.

I am going off past years and past weeks as I did not see today's so maybe it is better but it has had lots of problems as well ranking teams.
Better than a bunch of AD's playing politics.

DaBizon
November 22nd, 2015, 03:23 PM

http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/21106-one-last-screw-job-by-the-ncaa/?do=findComment&comment=829739

makes sense to me

Lehigh Football Nation
November 22nd, 2015, 03:42 PM
Fordham is a repeat playoff team and the committee must love them

xlolx xlolx xlolx

centennial
November 22nd, 2015, 03:45 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx
Must be all the New York city influence. If the FCS can truly get some interest in that market, it would be huge.

eiu1999
November 22nd, 2015, 03:46 PM

Agree both should not be in, but EKU and UT Martin are not cupcakes.

BisonTru
November 22nd, 2015, 04:01 PM

Here's a good exercise for those upset with all the MVFC teams on one side. Find a map and circle all the seeded teams, then circle all the first round teams with a different color. Now pair the field with the maximum amount of bus trips and potential bus trips and keep flight miles to a minimum. It's hard to not come up with a bracket that looks similar to the one released.

Regionalization is the reason the bracket looks they way it does, has nothing to do with politics. And regionalization isn't going away and if you look at attendance figures for next weekends games, you'll become more sympathetic towards the NCAA's cost controlling process.

Bisonwinagn
November 22nd, 2015, 04:07 PM
Here's a good exercise for those upset with all the MVFC teams on one side. Find a map and circle all the seeded teams, then circle all the first round teams with a different color. Now pair the field with the maximum amount of bus trips and potential bus trips and keep flight miles to a minimum. It's hard to not come up with a bracket that looks similar to the one released.

Regionalization is the reason the bracket looks they way it does, has nothing to do with politics. And regionalization isn't going away and if you look at attendance figures for next weekends games, you'll become more sympathetic towards the NCAA's cost controlling process.

It will go away if the people bitch enough about it and the AD's all come together and demand it. That's the whole point of bringing it up.

Professor Chaos
November 22nd, 2015, 04:18 PM

Yeah, it sucks but if MVFC are really that pissed about it all they can do is win their games against the non-conference teams. The MVFC as a whole has a chance to get 7 of the 11 wins in the bottom half of the bracket. Do that and then I think we're much more entitled to bitch about dumping all the MVFC teams on one side of the bracket.

BisonTru
November 22nd, 2015, 04:21 PM
It will go away if the people bitch enough about it and the AD's all come together and demand it. That's the whole point of bringing it up.

If we want a fully seeded tournament we need to sell more tickets outside of NDSU, Montana, and JMU. The NCAA isn't going to lose their *** on the FCS playoffs because we b**** really loud.

If you have some ideas how we can drive interest I'd be all ears. I don't think anybody likes regionalization, but it's a reality with the interest level our division has. Luckily we get 8 seeded teams, which is better than some lower divisions and other sports have.

MacThor
November 22nd, 2015, 04:37 PM
Even worse, ESPN's "experts" put no effort into analyzing the bracket or questioning the committee's choices. A cursory mention of JMU's 5 seed doesn't cut it.

They'd rather spend 10 minutes flattering Joe Moglia (who is awesome) but we heard the whole story last year. That entire segment was like a repeat of 2014, right down to Jay Walker's (jaywalker - heh, I just noticed that) "Who wouldn't want to play for Moglia" quote.

Professor Chaos
November 22nd, 2015, 04:50 PM
Even worse, ESPN's "experts" put no effort into analyzing the bracket or questioning the committee's choices. A cursory mention of JMU's 5 seed doesn't cut it.

They'd rather spend 10 minutes flattering Joe Moglia (who is awesome) but we heard the whole story last year. That entire segment was like a repeat of 2014, right down to Jay Walker's (jaywalker - heh, I just noticed that) "Who wouldn't want to play for Moglia" quote.
Yeah, I would've loved to hear more from the committee chair particularly about what differentiated the last few teams in with the first few teams out. I also would've liked to hear the logic behind not seeding SDSU.

KPSUL
November 22nd, 2015, 04:59 PM

I'm just not as impressed with Joe Moglia. He should have cut the questioning on him off almost immediately and redirected the questions to his team and players.

Hammerhead
November 22nd, 2015, 05:05 PM
Last year the MVFC was 3-0 in the 1st round.

Yeah, it sucks but if MVFC are really that pissed about it all they can do is win their games against the non-conference teams. The MVFC as a whole has a chance to get 7 of the 11 wins in the bottom half of the bracket. Do that and then I think we're much more entitled to bitch about dumping all the MVFC teams on one side of the bracket.

MacThor
November 22nd, 2015, 05:06 PM
I'm just not as impressed with Joe Moglia. He should have cut the questioning on him off almost immediately and redirected the questions to his team and players.

Well the host sure was. The whole thing was almost verbatim from last year.
I agree with your statement. To his credit, Moglia seemed irked/surprised that the host wanted him to talk about his SI quote, but he sure didn't redirect.

KPSUL
November 22nd, 2015, 05:08 PM
If we want a fully seeded tournament we need to sell more tickets outside of NDSU, Montana, and JMU. The NCAA isn't going to lose their *** on the FCS playoffs because we b**** really loud.

If you have some ideas how we can drive interest I'd be all ears. I don't think anybody likes regionalization, but it's a reality with the interest level our division has. Luckily we get 8 seeded teams, which is better than some lower divisions and other sports have.

I'm not sure who's buying all the JMU tickets, I've been to Bridgeforth 6 times in the past couple years and I've rarely seen much more than 50% of the seats occupied at any one time. JMU fans are not anything like Montana or NDSU fans, many of them are only casually interested in the game. Liberty fans, on the other hand, get to their seats before kickoff and are way more into the game.

Daytripper
November 22nd, 2015, 05:14 PM
If you are in, play who is in front of you, win and move on. If you were a bubble team and didn't get in, win another game next year.

SkinsWizDukes
November 22nd, 2015, 05:17 PM
I'm not sure who's buying all the JMU tickets, I've been to Bridgeforth 6 times in the past couple years and I've rarely seen much more than 50% of the seats occupied at any one time. JMU fans are not anything like Montana or NDSU fans, many of them are only casually interested in the game. Liberty fans, on the other hand, get to their seats before kickoff and are way more into the game.

This is the most inaccurate post I've ever seen on this board

RootinFerDukes
November 22nd, 2015, 05:28 PM

Don't forget to mention that we're a party school that cares about tailgating so much that we don't show up until halfway into the first. Students are funneled into one entrance, up to 8k of them. That can take awhile if you're not there an hour before hand.
If we're half full, wouldn't we need to be averaging 12-13k? It's been probably pre-2008 since we've seen those numbers, maybe pre-2004. By all means, guesstimate attendance of an entire stadium at kickoff. Everyone's numbers are bound to vary.

KPSUL
November 22nd, 2015, 06:33 PM
This is the most inaccurate post I've ever seen on this board

And you sir are not only an infrequent, but also a delusional poster, if you think JMU fans are anywhere near the top of FCS football or that stadium has been anywhere near full for any game recently except for your playoff game when Liberty fans helped you fill it.

KPSUL
November 22nd, 2015, 06:40 PM
Don't forget to mention that we're a party school that cares about tailgating so much that we don't show up until halfway into the first. Students are funneled into one entrance, up to 8k of them. That can take awhile if you're not there an hour before hand.
If we're half full, wouldn't we need to be averaging 12-13k? It's been probably pre-2008 since we've seen those numbers, maybe pre-2004. By all means, guesstimate attendance of an entire stadium at kickoff. Everyone's numbers are bound to vary.

But I think, in fact I know you agree from previous posts you've made on the subject, that MANY more seats are empty than should be given announced attendance figures. Whether they are hanging out at the tailgates, standing in line, inside the club room most of the game, or just plain not there results in empty seats.

PAllen
November 22nd, 2015, 06:54 PM

Yup

WTFCollegefootballfan
November 22nd, 2015, 07:08 PM

NCAA has plenty of money. This is BS. Make the games more exciting, by playing different teams.

BisonTru
November 22nd, 2015, 07:26 PM
NCAA has plenty of money. This is BS. Make the games more exciting, by playing different teams.

Just because the NCAA is doing fine, mainly because of some tournament held in March, doesn't mean they're going to throw money at an FCS tournament that a large number of teams that they represent aren't even part of. Luckily for us we have a big enough following that the NCAA is willing to seed 8 teams, and take 16 more play-in teams, but regionalization is here to stay. Go ahead and send a strongly worded email if you would like, but I don't see the NCAA bending on this unless this tournament starts generating more revenue.

SkinsWizDukes
November 22nd, 2015, 07:55 PM
And you sir are not only an infrequent, but also a delusional poster, if you think JMU fans are anywhere near the top of FCS football or that stadium has been anywhere near full for any game recently except for your playoff game when Liberty fans helped you fill it.

Where does unh rank in fcs attendance? Pretty sure it's not even in the top 30

RootinFerDukes
November 22nd, 2015, 08:10 PM
But I think, in fact I know you agree from previous posts you've made on the subject, that MANY more seats are empty than should be given announced attendance figures. Whether they are hanging out at the tailgates, standing in line, inside the club room most of the game, or just plain not there results in empty seats.
I can't believe a UNH fan is giving us attendance smack. Whatever you perceive our butts in seats to be, it's still more people than your announced attendance. It only took you all over a decade of consecutive playoff appearances to get it as high as you all have. 8.1k is good for 46th in FCS and 5th in the CAA. You better be careful, Elon is catching up to you at 7.8k.

PantherRob82
November 22nd, 2015, 08:12 PM

Ooooooo. Distraction. Great argument tactic. Changing the subject is a classic. xlolx

UNHWildcat18
November 22nd, 2015, 08:12 PM

He mentioned nothing of our fanbase, just his observations of the games he has gone to at JMU. UNH does great for the given capacity we have had over the years. It will increase starting next year believe me.

UNHWildcat18
November 22nd, 2015, 08:15 PM
I can't believe a UNH fan is giving us attendance smack. Whatever you perceive our butts in seats to be, it's still more people than your announced attendance. It only took you all over a decade of consecutive playoff appearances to get it as high as you all have. 8.1k is good for 46th in FCS and 5th in the CAA. You better be careful, Elon is catching up to you at 7.8k.

Time is an irrelevant factor seeing as our capacity has never been over 8k. Like our homecoming 16-18k a year but we can only fit 6 in the stadium.. People aren't going to be at UNH games in the numbers of 10-15k every game when you can only sit 6...which has been the case for a longg time

TheRevSFA
November 22nd, 2015, 08:16 PM
Has anyone posted "Lehigh was screwed" yet? It's not playoffs unless that pops up

ursus arctos horribilis
November 22nd, 2015, 08:21 PM

Sure.

KPSUL
November 22nd, 2015, 08:29 PM

Who cares? We currently have less than 5000 seats, the place is in the middle of a major renovation. Actually, while the numbers are less, I can't think of any two fan bases are more similar than UNH and JMU. We also have as many people going tailgating at location where there happens to be a football game nearby. Like JMU, we have a large group of students so drunk they can't find the gate into stadium, let alone a seat. But because we currently have about 1/4th the number of seats, a larger percentage of the people sitting in them get there close to kick-off and have an appreciation of what's going on in front of them. However, the point of the original post had something to do with schools that had the gate receipts to pay for 1-24 playoff seeding with no consideration for team travel costs.
JMU was mentioned among a select group, MT, NDSU and JMU. I merely asked whose buying all the tickets at Bridgeforth; I've been to 6 games in two seasons and have never seen the place anywhere NEAR full. I've only seen SDSU and MT on TV but they seem full and the crowds seem into the game. I've been to Liberty U several times and those fans are in the seats and into the game. I also have been to both RU and W&M, each twice, and thought they both had a better gameday atmosphere than JMU.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 22nd, 2015, 08:31 PM

You are flat out of your mind if you believe this. If the group were large enough I'd go with you but this is not a big money deal and that's just the facts Jack.

RootinFerDukes
November 22nd, 2015, 08:34 PM
WM with a better atmosphere. Now you're just trying to be funny. Well everyone has an opinion I guess. Good for you. I know it's tough being relevant in the shadow of Boston professional sports. I'd say we're doing pretty good when you factor in everything working against us.

Cleets
November 22nd, 2015, 08:50 PM
We need to stop using the word "deserve" so loosely. If you are outside the top 16 I don't think it can be said that you deserved ****.

This ^
FCS would suffer no ill consequences admitting the top 8 teams...
The fact that all these teams get to play what amounts to a meaningless game awaiting their eventual slaughter
its like fighting about who gets to be shot first by the firing squad

xeyebrowx

dwtime
November 22nd, 2015, 09:10 PM

Probably not since our capacity even before we lost the visitor side stands was 6500, still averaged over 8700 last year. I watched the JMU game on my computer yesterday and the stands looked pretty empty to me. I have no idea how many tickets they sold. Looks like a big stadium and it didn't look very full.

Bisonoline
November 22nd, 2015, 09:44 PM
How the committee got so much wrong is astounding. Blatant idiocy at its finest.

PantherRob82
November 22nd, 2015, 09:46 PM
How the committee got so much wrong is astounding. Blatant idiocy at its finest.

Seriously? I don't like it, but I think it's basically perfect by their rules.

KPSUL
November 22nd, 2015, 09:52 PM
WM with a better atmosphere. Now you're just trying to be funny. Well everyone has an opinion I guess. Good for you. I know it's tough being relevant in the shadow of Boston professional sports. I'd say we're doing pretty good when you factor in everything working against us.

My atmosphere has never been very good there, W&M has got our number. But in an Ivy League sort of way, they have a good game crowd. On the plus side, JMU has a great band, biggest and best sounding in the CAA. Excellent hot chocolate when it's cold enough to want to drink it. It's not a bad place to watch a game, I just think there is a bit of exaggeration about the size and game-time enthusiasm of the students and other fans.

CasualFan
November 22nd, 2015, 09:58 PM

I posted this in another thread, but wth...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21871&stc=1

It looks strange because the Colgate/UNH winner goes to JMU, which is right at the midpoint between the Chatty/Fordham winner (which goes to JSU).

Bisonoline
November 22nd, 2015, 10:00 PM
Seriously? I don't like it, but I think it's basically perfect by their rules.

Seriously? Yes!
If they are going to put on a tournament then do it the correct way. #1 plays #24. #2 plays #23 etc etc etc. Considering The money the NCAA takes in costs shouldnt be a consideration. Regionalization shouldnt even be used in tournament conversation.

FargoBison
November 22nd, 2015, 10:01 PM
I posted this in another thread, but wth...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21871&stc=1

It looks strange because the Colgate/UNH winner goes to JMU, which is right at the midpoint between the Chatty/Fordham winner (which goes to JSU).

If they had swapped EIU-UNI with Colgate-UNH they might have minimized some of the whining and created a more balanced bracket. Not much would have changed since those teams would still be flying in round 2 and 3 regardless.

BisonTru
November 22nd, 2015, 10:13 PM
Seriously? Yes!
If they are going to put on a tournament then do it the correct way. #1 plays #24. #2 plays #23 etc etc etc. Considering The money the NCAA takes in costs shouldnt be a consideration. Regionalization shouldnt even be used in tournament conversation.

Technically a 24 team seeded bracket would be 16 vs. 17 winner to 1.

I realize people want to get rid of regionalization, but it's completely possible that if you seeded the entire field with no regionalization in place you could have 8 charter flights each of the first two rounds. FCS averages 8,000 fans per playoff game. That's a lot of expense for some pretty lack luster revenue. I don't care for regionalization, but it's a reality that I don't see changing unless we can get more fans in the stands.

Bisonwinagn
November 22nd, 2015, 10:19 PM

I realize people want to get rid of regionalization, but it's completely possible that if you seeded the entire field with no regionalization in place you could have 8 charter flights each of the first two rounds. FCS averages 8,000 fans per playoff game. That's a lot of expense for some pretty lack luster revenue. I don't care for regionalization, but it's a reality that I don't see changing unless we can get more fans in the stands.

Revenue is based mostly on bids, not attendance.

Bisonoline
November 22nd, 2015, 10:20 PM

Dont care about fans in the stands. If they are going to put on a tournament they need to do it correctly. Its supposed to be about the game. Not revenue. They hold tournaments for soccer, field hockey, softball, cross country, track and field etc etc etc. Not exactly high revenue sports.

BisonTru
November 22nd, 2015, 10:21 PM
Revenue is based mostly on bids, not attendance.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the NCAA takes 75% of the ticket receipts or the minimum bid whichever is higher.

BisonTru
November 22nd, 2015, 10:23 PM
Dont care about fans in the stands. If they are going to put on a tournament they need to do it correctly. Its supposed to be about the game. Not revenue. They hold tournaments for soccer, field hockey, softball, cross country, track and field etc etc etc. Not exactly high revenue sports.

And they regionalize the crap out of those tournaments more so than ours mainly because FCS football has a better following than most other NCAA sanctioned tournaments.

Bisonoline
November 22nd, 2015, 10:23 PM
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the NCAA takes 75% of the ticket receipts or the minimum bid whichever is higher.

According to the 2012 championship handbook, it was 75% of the estimated net receipts. At least it is if I'm reading it right. Here's the quote:

Site Selection
With regard to first-round, second-round, quarterfinal and semifinal sites, in addition to the criteria listed in Bylaw 31.1.3.2.1, the NCAA Division I Football Championship Committee shall consider the following additional criteria when selecting playoff sites:
1. Prospective host institutions must submit the following minimum financial guarantees, which shall be 75 percent of the estimated net receipts as submitted on the proposed budget:
 First round – $30,000
 Second round – $30,000
 Quarterfinal – $40,000
 Semifinal – $50,000
2. If the minimum financial guarantees are met, the committee will award the playoff sites to the top five seeded teams.

clenz
November 22nd, 2015, 10:24 PM
They do.

If you bid 30K and your ticket sales are enough that 75% of it is 31K, they take 31K

If you bid 212K and sell 180K in tickets they are taking 212k leaving you with a major loss.

Bisonoline
November 22nd, 2015, 10:24 PM
And they regionalize the crap out of those tournaments more so than ours mainly because FCS football has a better following than most other NCAA sanctioned tournaments.

Then they are doing it wrong. The are hosing the kids over a dollar.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 22nd, 2015, 10:26 PM

Yet ironically the "cost-cautious" PFL teams have to fly all over the place just for conference games. The whole thing (not your post) is hypocritical. Most of the eastern schools are located within 100-150 miles of a large airport. Fordham's flight from NYC to Atlanta is probably, in the grand scheme of things, costing the NCAA pennies.

PantherRob82
November 22nd, 2015, 10:33 PM
Seriously? Yes!

That has nothing to do with the committee. xrolleyesx

PantherRob82
November 22nd, 2015, 10:35 PM
If they had swapped EIU-UNI with Colgate-UNH they might have minimized some of the whining and created a more balanced bracket. Not much would have changed since those teams would still be flying in round 2 and 3 regardless.

That would have been idiotic. Fine for UNi/EIU?, but sending UNH\Colgate from coast to coast? xlolx

BisonTru
November 22nd, 2015, 10:43 PM
Then they are doing it wrong. The are hosing the kids over a dollar.

You can't just bleed money every post season tournament. I'm sure the NCAA has plenty of losers that are somewhat subsidized by other more revenue heavy events (mainly the one in March). If I could find an argument that this was a huge money-maker I'd strongly be in the camp that we should seed the whole bracket. From what I can tell, some really rough math, this tournament is maybe a break even.

Yet ironically the "cost-cautious" PFL teams have to fly all over the place just for conference games. The whole thing (not your post) is hypocritical. Most of the eastern schools are located within 100-150 miles of a large airport. Fordham's flight from NYC to Atlanta is probably, in the grand scheme of things, costing the NCAA pennies.

It does make sense for schools like Drake to join the MVFC and what they would save and travel costs would make up for extra scholarships. But that's a decision for their AD and he knows their number a lot better than I do.

Professor Chaos
November 22nd, 2015, 10:48 PM
That would have been idiotic. Fine for UNi/EIU?, but sending UNH\Colgate from coast to coast? xlolx
They've done it before. They sent the winner of Wagner and Colgate to Eastern Washington in 2012 (not positive about the year but I know it happened). I also can recall Stony Brook going to Montana St for a 2nd round game back in SBU's Big South days.

FargoBison
November 22nd, 2015, 10:49 PM

Not like they are flying through O'Hare with a connecting flight. It is nonstop, once a team is flying who cares after that it's just a few more hours.

PantherRob82
November 22nd, 2015, 10:53 PM
They've done it before. They sent the winner of Wagner and Colgate to Eastern Washington in 2012 (not positive about the year but I know it happened). I also can recall Stony Brook going to Montana St for a 2nd round game back in SBU's Big South days.

One less time zone. ;)

Cleets
November 22nd, 2015, 10:58 PM
I forgot how serious this all was...

xeyebrowx

PantherRob82
November 22nd, 2015, 11:34 PM
I forgot how serious this all was...

xeyebrowx

Your post isn't angry or whiny enough. Reword it. ;)

Theee Catrabbit
November 23rd, 2015, 12:00 AM

Now whose post isn't whiny or angry enough? Huh!?!?

Bisonoline
November 23rd, 2015, 12:14 AM
You can't just bleed money every post season tournament. I'm sure the NCAA has plenty of losers that are somewhat subsidized by other more revenue heavy events (mainly the one in March). If I could find an argument that this was a huge money-maker I'd strongly be in the camp that we should seed the whole bracket. From what I can tell, some really rough math, this tournament is maybe a break even.

It does make sense for schools like Drake to join the MVFC and what they would save and travel costs would make up for extra scholarships. But that's a decision for their AD and he knows their number a lot better than I do.

Sure they can bleed some money. They are what? a billion dollar organization with only 4% in admin costs.

SUUTbird
November 23rd, 2015, 12:18 AM
The only really huge issue that I find with the bracket is the fact that UND got so thoroughly screwed over. Hands down they should have been in over EIU, it's a garbage excuse that 2 OVC teams had to get in. WIU makes a little more sense with their wins against top 25 teams, however the argument could still be made that UND should have gotten ahead of them. Also on a personal note I feel that if you win your conference you should be able to host the first round playoff game, SHSU should be coming to Cedar City but oh well.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 23rd, 2015, 12:30 AM

His post needs the chainsaw emoji

Grizzlies82
November 23rd, 2015, 12:50 AM
Also on a personal note I feel that if you win your conference you should be able to host the first round playoff game, SHSU should be coming to Cedar City but oh well.

Well when you win your conference you do win a prize, automatic inclusion into the playoffs. If you are not a seeded team then hosting is all on your school administration. They decided how much to bid, or if to bid at all. It becomes a guessing game of how many tickets they believe they can sell to cover their bid (a guaranteed amount to the NCAA) without losing money. I don't know what kind of bid Sam Houston St would put up. Yet with their playoff experience in recent years they were probably smart enough to bid a decent amount beyond the $30M minimum.

No use worrying about it at this point. I like So Utah's chances against Sam. SUU has a solid team and has played well recently. Hope the Thunderbirds go down there and kick their butts. Good luck to your squad in Huntsville, then go wreck McNeese's season too! Go Big Sky and Go Griz!

ursus arctos horribilis
November 23rd, 2015, 01:00 AM
Seriously? Yes!

This just does not seem realistic and I don't see how some of you can think this is logical. It is a great thought and what we would all wish for but in reality it just would never happen. Pretending costs are not an issue is just not the sort of thinking I would expect I guess.

TheRevSFA
November 23rd, 2015, 05:09 AM

**** SFA hosted EWU and 'Nova during their most recent playoff runs. Both were early rounds

PAllen
November 23rd, 2015, 06:40 AM

Coming from a fan of a school that counts anyone who enters the tailgating area in the attendance, a "butts in seats" argument is a bit much.

caribbeanhen
November 23rd, 2015, 07:01 AM
surely all the UNH fans are slightly embarrassed that they got picked for the playoffs not that they should admit it now but this should be no playoff team after losing to Delaware

Mattymc727
November 23rd, 2015, 07:04 AM
surely all the UNH fans are slightly embarrassed that they got picked for the playoffs not that they should admit it now but this should be no playoff team after losing to Delaware

Why the F would we be embarrassed? Should W&M be embarrassed too? Must be embarrassing to see how far UD has fallen from the good Ole days...

bluehenbillk
November 23rd, 2015, 07:19 AM
UNH over Towson? I don't agree.

CID1990
November 23rd, 2015, 07:35 AM
These brackets are turrible.

Although the brackets were obviously put together for regionalization purposes, the midwest bias is still strong and it also appears the CAA bias is dying a hard death. I get the bracket complaints but the MVFC got 5 teams in for crying out loud. Obviously the Force is strong with the MVFC and they are so strong that even their almost .500 teams are world killers worthy of the playoffs. Something is rotten with the WIU pick

The Big South and SoCon have no shot at improving their image vs the midwest and western conferences because this bracket insures that of the four teams only one can get past the 3rd round

Seriously- who wouldn't want to play Dayton in the first round, and it goes to a 6-5 team? Could it be because WIU vs Dayton doesn't cost the NCAA much in travel compared to UND? HMMMM

At this point they either need to seed the whole thing from top to bottom (which would also help with home field decisions) or randomize all except the 8 seeds. Either of those would produce a better result than what we have.

deez_na
November 23rd, 2015, 07:53 AM
If you are in, play who is in front of you, win and move on. If you were a bubble team and didn't get in, win another game next year.

Sounds good except when a team like UND who beat an FBS and a seeded team and has 1 more win than one of the playoff teams.

UIWWildthing
November 23rd, 2015, 07:57 AM
UNH over Towson? I don't agree.
2nd time in what 3 or 4 years?
Hell WIU in over Towson. That I don't get.

MacThor
November 23rd, 2015, 08:09 AM
I think the travel is a lame excuse. Look at the NCAA baseball tournament. 16 regional hosts of 4 teams each - many of the 48 non-hosting schools make a long trip and they avoid conference rematches in the regionals. They do make an attempt to shorten travel at the regional level but not with intra-conference play. This past year, they avoided any conference rematches in the super-regionals too, even if all the seeds held. You still got matchups in the super-regionals like Florida-FSU, Maryland-Virginia, etc.

Granted, when they reach the final 8 (CWS) they all go to a neutral site, well, actually let me re-phrase that - the final 8 all travel to Omaha - so making 8 teams (compared to 48) travel isn't such a big deal.

When the FCS tourney was 16 teams they did a fine job with regionalization (yes there were still complaints) and avoiding rematches until the round of 8. It wouldn't be so hard to look at the round of 16 and avoid rematches for all of the 8 seeds in their first game of the tournament and still ​regionalize to some extent.

Sitting Bull
November 23rd, 2015, 08:27 AM
I believe it's obvious, the committee's primary goal was to maximize revenue.

Under that angle, it's probably the best bracket they could have developed.

Doesn't discount any of the arguments made here, all valid.

chattownmocs
November 23rd, 2015, 08:33 AM
Yeah the mvfc crying is pretty rich. 5 teams and matched up with the soft big sky. They get to keep claiming they are better than they are into next year.

Cocky
November 23rd, 2015, 08:33 AM
EIU lost to:
WIU while giving up 5 turnovers. Most every other team in the bracket had their one game of terrible play.
ISUr in OT. This is 2 seed in the bracket.
JSU This is a 1 seed in the bracket.
Northwestern I dont know anything about them except they are FBS.

ND loss to :
Weber State A good non bracket team which may have a better argument than ND
Idaho State Won two games the other was Blackhills? Win this game your in.
Montana A bracket team loss in OT
NDSU 3 seed in the bracket but loss by more than EIU did to both seeded teams combined.

Just dont see how anyone would take ND over EIU.

BisonBacker
November 23rd, 2015, 08:44 AM

No question. Dayton will look like the redheaded stepchild of the playoffs. But people will still bitch about WIU.

BisonBacker
November 23rd, 2015, 08:46 AM
Hell, I don't see a problem going all the way to 32. It might add some teams that would have been in without a freak injury to a VIP or something. I don't think it would be as bad as having a 6-6 team in the "Glad Force Flex trash bag bowl sponsored by Febreez"

I don't mind the bye for the seeds except that its an opinion committee and written rules like the NFL or somethinf like that.

xdizzyx

deez_na
November 23rd, 2015, 08:57 AM
EIU lost to:
WIU while giving up 5 turnovers. Most every other team in the bracket had their one game of terrible play.

ND loss to :
NDSU 3 seed in the bracket but loss by more than EIU did to both seeded teams combined.

ND beat the 6 seed on the road and an FBS team. Who did EIU beat ?

Cocky
November 23rd, 2015, 09:03 AM
ND beat the 6 seed on the road and an FBS team. Who did EIU beat ?
The teams they should have and didnt lose to a Idaho State quality team. Beat them your in so the problem is easy to identify.

deez_na
November 23rd, 2015, 09:10 AM
The teams they should have and didnt lose to a Idaho State quality team. Beat them your in so the problem is easy to identify.

so they beat the same amount that ND did only their quality of wins weren't near as good?

Cocky
November 23rd, 2015, 09:25 AM
so they beat the same amount that ND did only their quality of wins weren't near as good?
Their losses werent as bad. ND loss to Idaho State?
EIU had qualtiy wins against UTM and EKU and won 7 of the last 8
ND beat Portland St which was a good win and won 5 of the last 8.

Still dont see ND over EIU.

deez_na
November 23rd, 2015, 09:34 AM
ND had 1 bad loss but also beat a seeded team and an FBS team both on the road while EIU didn't have a quality of win to either of the 2 ND had.

JMUNJ08
November 23rd, 2015, 09:42 AM
EIU lost to:

ND loss to :

If only looking through your rose colored glasses....

Looking at the L's is only half the picture. If you pulled out only the W's, UND gets in as a laugh worthy comparison to EIU. The committee obviously just said that the bad loss to Idaho State out weighed the better W's in their determination.

SactoHornetFan
November 23rd, 2015, 09:42 AM
Their losses werent as bad. ND loss to Idaho State?
EIU had qualtiy wins against UTM and EKU and won 7 of the last 8
ND beat Portland St which was a good win and won 5 of the last 8.

Still dont see ND over EIU.

So you rate worse losses better than very good wins? I see you are a glass is half empty kind of guy. Must be all dem Bammer fumes you're inhaling emanating from Tuscaloosa!

UNIFanSince1983
November 23rd, 2015, 09:46 AM
What win other than PSU is a very good win for UND?

deez_na
November 23rd, 2015, 09:48 AM

Wyoming is an FBS win regardless of how crappy they are in the FBS.

F'N Hawks
November 23rd, 2015, 09:49 AM
EIU lost to:

ND loss to :

How about the wins, you know, the most important part? EKU and UTM, really?

- - - Updated - - -

What was the best win for EIU, or Fordham, or Sam Houston State?

JMUNJ08
November 23rd, 2015, 09:53 AM
Probably not since our capacity even before we lost the visitor side stands was 6500, still averaged over 8700 last year. I watched the JMU game on my computer yesterday and the stands looked pretty empty to me. I have no idea how many tickets they sold. Looks like a big stadium and it didn't look very full.

Looking at the short side of the field, I may agree. However, the students started their week long Thanksgiving break on Friday and 80% of that and the endzone are where they sit. Attendance was listed at 17,028 which puts us at about 2/3 full. Being in attendance myself, with the lack of students, I would say that is a rather fair number.

In general, what we are truly missing is the hype of year's past. Gameday coming to town brought that back and I hope it carries through. You have a group that wants FBS/ quality opponents and there is no App State coming any time soon. From where we came when I was a freshman ('04) when I could sit at the 40 coming in the 2nd quarter and maybe 10K at the games to packing a 15K stadium to 'scrapping by' with 18K-22K a game now, I would say we are improving.

I hope UNH once they expand don't fall on such hard times as JMU now does with supply and demand...

UNIFanSince1983
November 23rd, 2015, 09:53 AM
I am just saying what did UND really prove? Who did they beat that was that much better than EKU or UTM? PSU is it.

Really I am in agreement with the people who are on the contract the playoffs bandwagon. If we are comparing teams that have 1 quality win and comparing losses there is a problem. That is what we are arguing here. You are making an argument for a team with 1 quality win over a team that has maybe 2 quality wins. This shouldn't even be an argument as neither team really deserves to be in the playoffs.

BisonTru
November 23rd, 2015, 09:54 AM
Here is how Massey has all the playoff eligible teams ranked:

Illinois StMissouri Valley
9-20.818

N Dakota StMissouri Valley
9-20.818

Jacksonville StOH Valley
10-10.909

S Dakota StMissouri Valley
8-30.727

Northern IowaMissouri Valley
7-40.636

CitadelSouthern
8-30.727

Charleston SoBig South
9-20.818

Southern UtahBig Sky
8-30.727

McNeese StSouthland
10-01.000

W IllinoisMissouri Valley
6-50.545

Portland StBig Sky
9-20.818

James MadisonColonial
9-20.818

ChattanoogaSouthern
8-30.727

William & MaryColonial
8-30.727

RichmondColonial
8-30.727

Coastal CarBig South
9-20.818

FordhamPatriot League
9-20.818

Sam Houston StSouthland
8-30.727

MontanaBig Sky
7-40.636

W CarolinaSouthern
7-40.636

E IllinoisOH Valley
7-40.636

VillanovaColonial
6-50.545

Northern ArizonaBig Sky
7-40.636

TN MartinOH Valley
7-40.636

TowsonColonial
7-40.636

North DakotaBig Sky
7-40.636

Weber StBig Sky
6-50.545

E WashingtonBig Sky
6-50.545

LibertyBig South
6-50.545

New HampshireColonial
7-40.636

ColgatePatriot League
7-40.636

Cent ArkansasSouthland
7-40.636

Mayville Bison
November 23rd, 2015, 09:58 AM
EIU lost to:

ND loss to :

I really, really hate that this is the new standard of comparing teams. Who did you lose to? If you don't combine that with the question "Who did you beat", it doesn't mean anything! Yeah, EIU showed that they can continually lose to playoff teams and beat non-playoff teams. Whoop-de-f'ing-do! UND showed they could at least beat a playoff team (a seeded playoff team none-the-less) and do it on the road.

I'm by no means trying to say UND deserved to be in the field or not. I just want the question to be asked stop being the "Who did you lose to" argument without looking at anything else.

/rant over. Back to the NCAA hates the MVFC and NDSU specifically talk.

BisonTru
November 23rd, 2015, 09:58 AM
Wyoming is an FBS win regardless of how crappy they are in the FBS.

All FBS wins aren't equal. The Wyoming win is definitely a positive bullet point on the resume, but we all know now that Wyoming is one of the worst FBS teams in the nation. Just like Kansas, which wasn't impressive enough to keep SDSU in the seeded range.

F'N Hawks
November 23rd, 2015, 10:01 AM
I am just saying what did UND really prove? Who did they beat that was that much better than EKU or UTM? PSU is it.

Really I am in agreement with the people who are on the contract the playoffs bandwagon. If we are comparing teams that have 1 quality win and comparing losses there is a problem. That is what we are arguing here. You are making an argument for a team with 1 quality win over a team that has maybe 2 quality wins. This shouldn't even be an argument as neither team really deserves to be in the playoffs.

Well, answer your own question and insert EIU and SHSU as the team? The PSU win looks pretty damn good, no?

Then why did those two get in if their resumes are inferior to UND's....

deez_na
November 23rd, 2015, 10:01 AM
All FBS wins aren't equal. The Wyoming win is definitely a positive bullet point on the resume, but we all know now that Wyoming is one of the worst FBS teams in the nation. Just like Kansas, which wasn't impressive enough to keep SDSU in the seeded range.

Yes I said I realize Wyoming isn't a great FBS win but they also beat a top 6 seeded playoff team currently and on the road. EIU?? Nope

UNIFanSince1983
November 23rd, 2015, 10:15 AM
Well, answer your own question and insert EIU and SHSU as the team? The PSU win looks pretty damn good, no?

Then why did those two get in if their resumes are inferior to UND's....

Are they that inferior though? I think they are fairly similar. The BSC was fairly weak this year as a whole. I will give you the PSU win is better than any win a lot of playoff teams have, but that is the ONLY good win you have. Plus you have a loss to an absolutely terrible ISUo team.

I am saying none of these teams deserved to be in. EIU, SHSU, or UND none deserved to get in. They did because we have to have 24 teams now. SHSU gets in because they only had 3 losses. If UND beats a terrible team like ISUo they are probably in as well. With 24 teams we get down to a point to finding the best looking turd. The committee obviously thought EIU with wins over EKU and UTM and no bad losses looked better than UND with the PSU win and one really bad loss.

F'N Hawks
November 23rd, 2015, 10:19 AM
Are they that inferior though? I think they are fairly similar. The BSC was fairly weak this year as a whole. I will give you the PSU win is better than any win a lot of playoff teams have, but that is the ONLY good win you have. Plus you have a loss to an absolutely terrible ISUo team.

I am saying none of these teams deserved to be in. EIU, SHSU, or UND none deserved to get in. They did because we have to have 24 teams now. SHSU gets in because they only had 3 losses. If UND beats a terrible team like ISUo they are probably in as well. With 24 teams we get down to a point to finding the best looking turd. The committee obviously thought EIU with wins over EKU and UTM and no bad losses looked better than UND with the PSU win and one really bad loss.

Yah well, when your team is young and rebuilding (coach was fired for a reason) losing your starting QB in the third quarter vs. ISU up 31-15 tends to change things. They lost every game with their HORRIBLE backup QB playing. Then the starter came back and they won every game. Weird.

Point is everyone is stating that UND's best win is better, have an FBS win, and the Big Sky is a better conference than the Ohio Valley. But they weren't picked.

UNDBIZ
November 23rd, 2015, 10:23 AM
Let's be honest here. If you replace UND with MSU or EWU and they have the same schedule and results, they're in the playoffs.

UNDBIZ
November 23rd, 2015, 10:30 AM
As for the toughest conference thing, Sagarin has the Big Sky as the #2 conference. Here's how the top 5 conferences, in Sagarin's order of "toughness" fared.
1. MVFC - 5 of 10 (50% of the conference) made the field. Had 5 eligible teams (100% success rate)
2. Big Sky - 3 of 13 (23% of the conference) made the field. Had 7 eligible teams (43% success rate)
3. Southern - 2 of 8 (25% of the conference) made the field. Had 3 eligible teams (67% success rate)
4. CAA - 4 of 12 (33% of the conference) made the field. Had 6 eligible teams (67% success rate)
5. OVC - 2 of 9 (22% of the conference) made the field. Had 4 eligible teams (50% success rate)

From siouxsports.com

BisonTru
November 23rd, 2015, 10:36 AM
Let's be honest here. If you replace UND with MSU or EWU and they have the same schedule and results, they're in the playoffs.

A better example is UNH. I really think UND and UNH have very similar resumes, but UNH has the name and their past playoff performances.

Stonewall D
November 23rd, 2015, 10:37 AM
Has anyone posted "Lehigh was screwed" yet? It's not playoffs unless that pops up
Lehigh got screwed. Wofford got really screwed. Now I feel better.

F'N Hawks
November 23rd, 2015, 10:39 AM
A better example is UNH. I really think UND and UNH have very similar resumes, but UNH has the name and their past playoff performances.

Agreed, and SHSU. Although, UNH did have a couple good wins.

UNDBIZ
November 23rd, 2015, 10:39 AM

Sure. Basically, just give any team with name recognition UND's resume from this year and they're in the playoffs.

kalm
November 23rd, 2015, 11:00 AM

The Big Sky on paper is the #2 rated conference. Anecdotally, when your 6-8 teams are all above .500 and vying for births the last two weeks of the season, I'd say the conference is actually better from top to bottom than usual.

The PSU win was indeed better than any win coming from the entire OVC and you can make a case for even the CAA. And the Wyoming win is still an FBS win.

PantherRob82
November 23rd, 2015, 11:20 AM
Now whose post isn't whiny or angry enough? Huh!?!?

Your team ruined the playoffs. Timeout for you. :)

AmsterBison
November 23rd, 2015, 11:25 AM
The Big Sky on paper is the #2 rated conference. Anecdotally, when your 6-8 teams are all above .500 and vying for births the last two weeks of the season, I'd say the conference is actually better from top to bottom than usual.

The PSU win was indeed better than any win coming from the entire OVC and you can make a case for even the CAA. And the Wyoming win is still an FBS win.

I don't think that it helped that the Big Sky conference champion got beat by 45 points by a team that tied for third place in the MVFC.

While I have no idea how the FCS playoff committee rationalized what they did, I do know who deserves a lot of blame: South Dakota State. First for obliterating Southern Utah and second for losing to WIU. :)

jacksfan29
November 23rd, 2015, 11:28 AM
Yeah the mvfc crying is pretty rich. 5 teams and matched up with the soft big sky. They get to keep claiming they are better than they are into next year.

Actually, we are matched up with each other. Oh, and all three BSC schools who got in are better than the Mocs.

The disrespect to the MVFC was designed to give JSU or a CAA school a shot at going to Frisco. Especially in the case of JSU, they had no shot if NDSU had been given the 4 seed.

I actually think that what happened will be the beginning of the NDSU and SDSU's time in FCS. I also think it is possible that UM, MSU, ND and USD go with. You can expect NDSU to begin making noise in the next year or two about moving up. I think SDSU, much like the move to D1 will join them. I wouldn't be surprised to see UM, MSU, ND and USD go along. A western G5 conference is needed. I expect the P5 to make their decision soon about their plans. Once that happens it will be time to leave FCS to the directional, 2nd tier state schools and non-scholarship privates. I predict that 5 years from now the 4 Dakota schools will be playing in a western G5 conference with the Montana schools, Idaho and NMSU.

Bison56
November 23rd, 2015, 11:35 AM

Yeah because playing the PL and OVC teams are a grind.xcoffeex

PantherRob82
November 23rd, 2015, 11:36 AM
Sure. Basically, just give any team with name recognition UND's resume from this year and they're in the playoffs.

What a crock. UNI has been left out plenty of times at 7-4.

F'N Hawks
November 23rd, 2015, 11:48 AM
What a crock. UNI has been left out plenty of times at 7-4.

Really, when? Was their 14 at-large spots when it happened?

kalm
November 23rd, 2015, 11:50 AM
I don't think that it helped that the Big Sky conference champion got beat by 45 points by a team that tied for third place in the MVFC.

While I have no idea how the FCS playoff committee rationalized what they did, I do know who deserves a lot of blame: South Dakota State. First for obliterating Southern Utah and second for losing to WIU. :)

That happens with an unbalanced conference schedule. For example, the BSC #3 beat the MVFC #1 to even things out a little. The BSC #2 beat the Pac-12 north #2.
Besides, that was ages ago. Teams change and improve.

clenz
November 23rd, 2015, 11:50 AM
Up until the last few years UNI had never gotten in without it being an auto-bid.

UNIFanSince1983
November 23rd, 2015, 11:54 AM
Up until the last few years UNI had never gotten in without it being an auto-bid.

Actually, there was one time we got an at large, but were co-champs without the auto. Up until last year we never got in without a share of the title.

clenz
November 23rd, 2015, 11:56 AM
Actually, there was one time we got an at large, but were co-champs without the auto. Up until last year we never got in without a share of the title.
Yeah, I forgot 08 was technically an at-large.

UNIFanSince1983
November 23rd, 2015, 12:01 PM
For the record we have been left out of the playoffs with a 7-4 record 6 times. 1 time with 7-3-1 record and 1 time with 7-5 record. And left out twice with a record of 8-3.

The committee doesn't look at names and say they should be in. They look at resumes and say they feel these teams deserve to be in.

Jacks02
November 23rd, 2015, 12:02 PM
For the record we have been left out of the playoffs with a 7-4 record 6 times. 1 time with 7-3-1 record and 1 time with 7-5 record. And left out twice with a record of 8-3.

The committee doesn't look at names and say they should be in. They look at resumes and say they feel these teams deserve to be in.

But those instances were all before a 24 team field though, correct?

JayJ79
November 23rd, 2015, 12:08 PM

Most of those years, UNI only had 6 D-I wins, as they played 1-2 D2 teams.

also, I believe that technically, UNI got in as an at-large in 1985. Even though they were the Gateway Conference champs that year, the Gateway didn't yet have an autobid that season.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 23rd, 2015, 12:15 PM

berth

UNDBIZ
November 23rd, 2015, 12:32 PM

Most of those years, UNI only had 6 D-I wins, as they played 1-2 D2 teams.

also, I believe that technically, UNI got in as an at-large in 1985. Even though they were the Gateway Conference champs that year, the Gateway didn't yet have an autobid that season.

So these UNI fans are comparing apples and oranges then..... FBS win, win over a seeded team, 7 D1 wins.

UNIFanSince1983
November 23rd, 2015, 01:56 PM

Right, however, it does still prove a point that no matter what you want to believe UND didn't get left out because they are UND.

Professor Chaos
November 23rd, 2015, 02:03 PM
Not sure where to put this but this seems like a good enough place for it. We have a resident mathematician on Bisonville who calculates percentage chance of victory using the Sagarin ratings. He did that for all the teams in the playoffs in each round. You can find the full thing here (http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?35778-2015-Sagarin-Says&p=1066418#post1066418) but I found this interesting.

Bottom half of the bracket percent chance each team makes it to Frisco:
1) Illinois St 44.9%
2) NDSU 40.7%
3) UNI 5.1%
4) Portland St 2.8%
5) SDSU 2.5%
6) William & Mary 1.9%
7) Richmond 1.5%
8) Western Illinois 0.6%
9) Montana 0.1%
10) Eastern Illinois 0.0%
10) Duquesne 0.0%
10) Dayton 0.0%

In other words, by those calculations there's a 93.8% chance that a MVFC team comes out of the bottom half of the bracket.

ST_Lawson
November 23rd, 2015, 02:31 PM
8) Western Illinois 0.6%

https://i.imgur.com/d3zlU8Y.jpg

PantherRob82
November 23rd, 2015, 02:35 PM

WGAF. You got left out because you lost to crap teams, not because of your name.

F'N Hawks
November 23rd, 2015, 02:50 PM
WGAF. You got left out because you lost to crap teams, not because of your name.

I never said we got left out cause of our name. xrolleyesx

PantherRob82
November 23rd, 2015, 02:53 PM
I never said we got left out cause of our name. xrolleyesx

If you were reading the conversation, I was responding to your poster who did. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

F'N Hawks
November 23rd, 2015, 02:55 PM

Teams, plural? Idaho State was 2-9. The rest were above .500.

PantherRob82
November 23rd, 2015, 03:13 PM

Teams, plural? Idaho State was 2-9. The rest were above .500.

I don't think Weber was a good loss either and then Montana beat you down.

TheRevSFA
November 23rd, 2015, 03:37 PM
I don't think Weber was a good loss either and then Montana beat you down.

To be fair, Montana did beat NDSU who beat UNI...

i wouldn't slam them too much on the ass beating Montana gave them. They should have been in over EIU

FargoBison
November 23rd, 2015, 03:42 PM

i wouldn't slam them too much on the ass beating Montana gave them. They should have been in over EIU

Well the Griz did beat them down with a third string QB. But I do agree, EIU is really the team that doesn't belong. But the OVC always gets two bids....welcome to committee politics.

F'N Hawks
November 23rd, 2015, 04:22 PM
Well the Griz did beat them down with a third string QB. But I do agree, EIU is really the team that doesn't belong. But the OVC always gets two bids....welcome to committee politics.
Did you see the QB we were starting? Any Montana fans that watched the game, feel free to chime in with your thoughts on our QB....

UNDBIZ
November 23rd, 2015, 04:24 PM

Not that I think we should've been in over them, but Montana finished 7-4, had 1 win over a playoff team, and lost to 3 non-playoff teams including "crap teams" Weber St and Cal Poly (they actually barely squeaked by that same crap ISU team in OT thanks to a botched FG). There was never any doubt they would be in the playoffs.

Thumper 76
November 23rd, 2015, 04:41 PM
Since I've been following this site, it seems that every year is the worst bracket ever set up by the committee. Good grief Charlie Brown. The bracket is the reality of the rules of regionalization. 5 teams from the MVFC, whom, by nature of being in the same conference are fairly close together and therefore in basically in the same region. So they are going to get paired up. Oh well. Makes a tough run for whoever gets through, but it's the playoffs. After the cupcake AQs are out of the way, is it really that easy for anybody? Everyone knew what was going to happen, and now are outrage that it did. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me to be that mad about it. It's a hell of a lot better than no playoffs IMHO.

MacThor
November 23rd, 2015, 04:47 PM
There are 3 at large teams among the seeds. They are all seeded higher than the AQ from their conference.

PantherRob82
November 23rd, 2015, 05:03 PM

Apples and oranges

dwtime
November 23rd, 2015, 05:05 PM
Since I've been following this site, it seems that every year is the worst bracket ever set up by the committee. Good grief Charlie Brown. The bracket is the reality of the rules of regionalization. 5 teams from the MVFC, whom, by nature of being in the same conference are fairly close together and therefore in basically in the same region. So they are going to get paired up. Oh well. Makes a tough run for whoever gets through, but it's the playoffs. After the cupcake AQs are out of the way, is it really that easy for anybody? Everyone knew what was going to happen, and now are outrage that it did. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me to be that mad about it. It's a hell of a lot better than no playoffs IMHO.

Well said.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 23rd, 2015, 05:10 PM
There are 3 at large teams among the seeds. They are all seeded higher than the AQ from their conference.

That happens a lot.

Scooter
November 23rd, 2015, 05:10 PM

If you are honest, if you replace your schedule with Western Illinois schedule, UND is 2-9 or 3-8. At least this way, you can bitch about being screwed without getting exposed. I got to see first hand the talent level that UND has. The reality is UND's schedule is no where near what the leathernecks had to go through and the selection committee recognized that glaring fact. Any 7-4 team has 0% right to bitch about getting left out.

Also, I really don't understand why NDSU fans were surprised by the #3 seed. Illinois St deserved the #2 seed.

UNDBIZ
November 23rd, 2015, 05:27 PM
If you are honest, if you replace your schedule with Western Illinois schedule, UND is 2-9 or 3-8. At least this way, you can bitch about being screwed without getting exposed. I got to see first hand the talent level that UND has. The reality is UND's schedule is no where near what the leathernecks had to go through and the selection committee recognized that glaring fact. Any 7-4 team has 0% right to bitch about getting left out.

Also, I really don't understand why NDSU fans were surprised by the #3 seed. Illinois St deserved the #2 seed.

You must've missed the ndsu game against wiu. 59-7

caribbeanhen
November 23rd, 2015, 05:37 PM
No question. Dayton will look like the redheaded stepchild of the playoffs. But people will still bitch about WIU.

I didn't even blink when the Leathernecks got in, but at least pair them up with a tough team...... Id actually like to see them get hot and win a few games, that would be great

BisonTru
November 23rd, 2015, 05:39 PM
That's a great example. The Leathernecks were able to put up 3x the yardage against us, and UND had their All-American QB.

You must've missed the ndsu game against wiu. 59-7

caribbeanhen
November 23rd, 2015, 05:42 PM
Why the F would we be embarrassed? Should W&M be embarrassed too? Must be embarrassing to see how far UD has fallen from the good Ole days...

if you lose to Colgate will you be embarrassed? that can happen you know

Delaware fans are long past embarrassed, you have to care to be embarrassed

UNDBIZ
November 23rd, 2015, 05:44 PM
That's a great example. The Leathernecks were able to put up 3x the yardage against us, and UND had their All-American QB.

3x the yards yet they scored less and gave up way more. A lot can happen between weeks 3 and 8.

BisonTru
November 23rd, 2015, 05:53 PM
3x the yards yet they scored less and gave up way more. A lot can happen between weeks 3 and 8.

Both those games got out of hand in a hurry. I don't take a whole lot away from either besides they were both blow outs. Now, we've completed the season we have a whole slate of games to look at. WIU has two very impressive wins against SDSU and UNI. You guys have one against PSU. Wyoming and EIU are also nice wins for both programs respectfully. Once you add in the strength of WIU's schedule and the strength of the conference, I had them in easily. For the record I had UND in and UNH out, but it was very close. Basically gave you guys the nod for the Wyo win, even though I'm not as impressed with that win as some.

Bottom line, if you leave it up to the committee you have to live with the result.