PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Playoffs - What teams should have made the field?

CasualFan
November 22nd, 2015, 11:05 AM
Teams with 6 D1 wins can get into the playoffs. Who got left out that should have made the field? Vote, then add your comments! You can choose multiple teams.

UNHWildcat18
November 22nd, 2015, 11:06 AM
UND. I still don't understand why a 5th valley team got in at 6-5 over UND

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 22nd, 2015, 11:07 AM
UND over WIU....

Gil Dobie
November 22nd, 2015, 11:08 AM
UND or Towson over EIU.

WIU was the 3rd place team in the MVFC, beating SDSU and UNI in the conference season, and EIU in the first game.

mvemjsunpx
November 22nd, 2015, 11:15 AM
UND.

They had 7 DI wins, incidentally.

catamount man
November 22nd, 2015, 11:17 AM
WCU had 6 D-I wins but any effort on my part to pimp for them gets smacked down by the fans of the 853 MVFC teams that made the playoffs.xcoffeex

That being said, I hope to heck that NO d2 team graces our schedule ever again. GO CATS!!!

BisonTru
UND. I still don't understand why a 5th valley team got in at 6-5 over UND

I voted for WCU because they need a nickname.

The committee doesn't care how many come from any given conference, and 6 D1 wins gets you in the conversation. Once you get past those two, its very easy to see why WIU's resume is better than UND's. I really think EIU would be a better argument.

IBleedYellow
UND over EIU.

Gil Dobie
November 22nd, 2015, 11:19 AM
UND.

They had 7 DI wins, incidentally.

Should have been in over EIU IMO, WIU had a tougher schedule. Illinois, EIU and CCU non-conference, no Missouri St game in conference schedule.

centennial
November 22nd, 2015, 11:20 AM
UND over EIU.
I agree with this.

Professor Chaos
November 22nd, 2015, 11:22 AM
UND or Towson over EIU.

WIU was the 3rd place team in the MVFC, beating SDSU and UNI in the conference season, and EIU in the first game.

UND over EIU.
Yep, most are pointing at WIU as the most controversial inclusion but IMO it's EIU that was the least deserving. I'd definitely put UND in over them.

On a related note, ISUr should send WIU a thank you card because them getting in kept UNI out of ISUr's pod.

Nickels
November 22nd, 2015, 11:23 AM
I voted all because of how the OP set up the poll/posting but I really would vote none. It's a 24 team playoff to decide who's the sole number 1. With a field this large there's no getting screwed or "should of made it". If your team didn't make it they simply didn't win enough.

Bisonator
November 22nd, 2015, 11:24 AM
UND or Towson over EIU.

This^^^^. EIU should not have made it.

paytonlives
November 22nd, 2015, 11:26 AM
Western Ill. being in is a joke (Lost 3 of last 5 and got beat 59-7 by ND State!!!)
Eastern Ill. Being in is a joke close second. (Beat 7 cupcakes and went 0-4 vs the good teams they played)

North Dakota, NAU & N.C. A&T all have better resumes...

CasualFan
November 22nd, 2015, 11:26 AM
What about UNH? I had them much lower in my poll -- are they a questionable choice along with WIU and EIU?

BisonTru
November 22nd, 2015, 11:29 AM
Western Ill. being in is a joke (Lost 3 of last 5 and got beat 59-7 by ND State!!!)
Eastern Ill. Being in is a joke close second. (Beat 7 cupcakes and went 0-4 vs the good teams they played)

North Dakota, NAU & N.C. A&T all have better resumes...

Combined those three schools have 1 victory over a playoff team. WIU has three.

centennial
November 22nd, 2015, 11:30 AM
What about UNH? I had them much lower in my poll -- are they a questionable choice along with WIU and EIU?
Tradition helped them a lot. However, I think they are better than EIU, so is WIU. UND over EIU, and not even close.

KPSUL
November 22nd, 2015, 11:30 AM
WCU had 6 D-I wins but any effort on my part to pimp for them gets smacked down by the fans of the 853 MVFC teams that made the playoffs.xcoffeex

That being said, I hope to heck that NO d2 team graces our schedule ever again. GO CATS!!!

You have only the administration of your athletic and football programs to blame. I doubt you ever got serious consideration. It makes no sense to play 2 FBS games and a DII out of 11.
Tell them to stick to one FBS and find a couple of FCS teams from the Big South, OVC or CAA to play; even if you need to travel to them to get the games schedules.

veinup
November 22nd, 2015, 11:38 AM
somebody thought Eastern Washington should sneak in there, eh? xcoffeex

ScreaminEagle?

dwtime
November 22nd, 2015, 11:38 AM

With wins over Colgate and Ricmond? Nope not a questionable choice.

melloware13
November 22nd, 2015, 11:40 AM
I had Towson with a better resume for this year than UNH with the same records, but clearly the committee isn't just looking at this season when it gets to that point.

dwtime
November 22nd, 2015, 11:45 AM
I had Towson with a better resume for this year than UNH with the same records, but clearly the committee isn't just looking at this season when it gets to that point.

Towson had a better resume? What were their signature wins? I have a feeling you place a bunch of emphasis on 'good losses', there should be no such thing as a good loss it should be about wins and who you win against. head to head UNH wins that argument.

KPSUL
November 22nd, 2015, 12:05 PM
Tradition helped them a lot. However, I think they are better than EIU, so is WIU. UND over EIU, and not even close.

I don't have a problem with WIU in the playoff field. Yes there are other 6-5 teams that have one or two quality wins, but none faced the competition week after week that WIU did.
I see UND as on a par with UNH. They have some very good wins, but they also have their share of zingers as well. And they play a fairly comparable conference schedule. You could have just flipped a coin and I wouldn't have had an argument with it. As far as EIU, they, like to New Hampshire, are playing much better football now then they were through the earlier part of the season. With both teams at 7-4, I'd give UNH the edge because of playing a tougher conference schedule, although both teams have quality long term programs.

As far as "tradition", I'm not sure how big a factor, if any, that was. If AGS posters are indicative of FCS committee members, I'd say about as many members have resentment and envy, and a lack of understanding for the UNH programs long term success as there are members who have respect and admiration and have an appreciation for what's going on. Say what you will about Coach McDonnell's 2015 team, but undeniably he understands the balance, and patience, between winning THIS season and sustaining quality program year after year. The rebuilding effort that has occurred this year has been a great example of that, maybe the finest of his career. This team is substantially better now then it was early through mid season and he managed to keep redshirts on some very good Freshmen who I suspect would have been drawn into duty on most other teams.

Panther-State
November 22nd, 2015, 12:06 PM
I voted for WCU because they need a nickname.

The committee doesn't care how many come from any given conference, and 6 D1 wins gets you in the conversation. Once you get past those two, its very easy to see why WIU's resume is better than UND's. I really think EIU would be a better argument.

This and only this. How are we hating on Western? 3rd in the MVFC, beat SDSU, UNI and EIU and nearly beat Coastal. Everyone points to the record but I'd love to see their team get to even 4 wins with that schedule. Outside of some of the seeded teams I doubt it happens. Go point your fingers at UNH or EIU. These records do not exist in vacuums ladies and gents.

Ivytalk
November 22nd, 2015, 12:30 PM
UND got "Woffed" this year.

WrenFGun
November 22nd, 2015, 12:46 PM
UNH should've been in the field; they had a better resume than Towson. Both teams had questionable losses (UNH lost to Delaware and SBU, but the latter they were without their QB; Towson lost to Elon), UNH had the better wins (Colgate, Richmond).

The issue for me is really EIU/SHSU over UND. There is no way either of those teams belonged in over UND. You have to wonder if the committee is indirectly penalizing UND for playing the last game of the night last night. To me that's the head scratcher. You could make an argument for Towson over either of those two, but it's a neutral one and taking a 2nd from the OVC/Southland makes more sense than a 5th from the CAA.

dbackjon
November 22nd, 2015, 01:26 PM
Please don't use Colgate as example of a good win because it's not

SENOREIDA
November 22nd, 2015, 01:54 PM
IMO UND should have got in.

There isn't even a snowball's chance in Jerry Falwell's hell that Liberty should have got in. Don't kid yourself with that.

dewey
November 22nd, 2015, 02:17 PM
UND or Towson over EIU.

This! WIU beat EIU early in the year and one of their losses was to an FBS team.

Dewey

PantherRob82
November 22nd, 2015, 02:19 PM
I don't think any of these teams got screwed. There may be some arguments about if they are bottom than the last teams in, but none of them were that impressive and had their chances to get in.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 22nd, 2015, 02:19 PM

Maybe not to you but by all "reasonable" metrics it is.....

WrenFGun
November 22nd, 2015, 02:33 PM

Uh. They're the conference champion of what was labeled a two-team league. If you don't think that's a good win, that's fine, but it's clear by committee definition it is indeed a good win.

Catsfan90
November 22nd, 2015, 02:37 PM
Explain how colgate isn't a good win?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 22nd, 2015, 02:43 PM

His rationalization will be they play in the PL. That's his basis....

Colgate is not a great team by any measure. But at the very least they're "solid" which qualifies them as a good win. Especially when you beat them in Hamilton.....

Catsfan90
November 22nd, 2015, 02:45 PM

Colgate is not a great team by any measure. But at the very least they're "solid" which qualifies them as a good win. Especially when you beat them in Hamilton.....
Yah I know that's his rationalization I just wanted to bear him say it. The PL might be having some down years, but there is no way you can say that a team isn't a good win specifically based off of that. Colgate knocked off an AGS ranked opponent to eventually become PL champs.

FargoBison
November 22nd, 2015, 02:46 PM

It really isn't that great, only reason they are in is because of the AQ.

Catsfan90
November 22nd, 2015, 02:47 PM
True, its definitely not the win of the century. But that doesn't mean it doesn't qualify as being good.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 22nd, 2015, 02:53 PM

Yup! Not THAT great, but good....

Even at 7-4 with a conference loss Colgate would have gotten a look at an at large given their schedule.

NY Crusader 2010
November 22nd, 2015, 03:02 PM

Well, UNH's win over Colgate is definitely better than Towson's NC wins over St. Francis and Holy Cross..

WrenFGun
November 22nd, 2015, 03:07 PM
From a UNH perspective, what's MORE telling is that Richmond, despite losing to Villanova and UNH, still was the 7 seed. That means the only teams with better wins in the playoffs than UNH were:

Montana
SDSU
Richmond
WM
North Dakota (should be).

UNHWildcat18
November 22nd, 2015, 03:25 PM
12th year in a row baby WOOOOOOOOOOOO!

SDFS
November 22nd, 2015, 03:28 PM
I voted all because of how the OP set up the poll/posting but I really would vote none. It's a 24 team playoff to decide who's the sole number 1. With a field this large there's no getting screwed or "should of made it". If your team didn't make it they simply didn't win enough.

Let take a look at the outstanding SHSU resume shall we:

Wins over .500 teams:

Incarnate World (6-5) - FYI they had a (5-5) Div-1 record.
UCA (7-4) - so you made it in because of one win over UCA

According to the committee we have something called good losses:

McNeese St (10-0) - outstanding moral victory for the boys...
Texas Tech - FBS doesn't count

But, they most not have punished you too much for the D-II win or the Lamar loss..

The kicker is that the Southland has a conference ranking of 9 best in FCS.. So, it is easy to get soft records.

UNHWildcat18
November 22nd, 2015, 03:28 PM

Precisely, when looking at the 7-4 teams across the board, you see one that has beaten a co champ of a top conference and the champ of another conference while on a 4 game win streak its an easy choice vs ones without those wins. Regardless of how good the teams they beat actually are.

Nickels
November 22nd, 2015, 03:40 PM
Let take a look at the outstanding SHSU resume shall we:

Wins over .500 teams:

Incarnate World (6-5) - FYI they had a (5-5) Div-1 record.
UCA (7-4) - so you made it in because of one win over UCA

According to the committee we have something called good losses:

McNeese St (10-0) - outstanding moral victory for the boys...
Texas Tech - FBS doesn't count

But, they most not have punished you too much for the D-II win or the Lamar loss..

The kicker is that the Southland has a conference ranking of 9 best in FCS.. So, it is easy to get soft records.
What's your point? you wouldn't have heard me bitch if SHSU hadn't made it. 2013 and last year is the same story. Hell 2012 too...

What can I say? The committee must be rewarding us for our past playoff success or maybe those big bids the AD places are hard to turn down when we're on the bubble but at the end of the day, we weren't entitled to those bids. Didn't win enough games. Though I'm happy see my team make the most out of those opportunities.

edit-

It's a 24 team playoff for the # 1 spot. You're lucky to be there with a non top 10 resume.

dbackjon
November 22nd, 2015, 04:03 PM
Thank you there are seven teams from the Missouri Valley and five or six from the big sky that would go undefeated in the patriot league

- - - Updated - - -

Yup! Not THAT great, but good....

Even at 7-4 with a conference loss Colgate would have gotten a look at an at large given their schedule.
Lol.

dbackjon
November 22nd, 2015, 04:04 PM
From a UNH perspective, what's MORE telling is that Richmond, despite losing to Villanova and UNH, still was the 7 seed. That means the only teams with better wins in the playoffs than UNH were:

Montana
SDSU
Richmond
WM
North Dakota (should be).

Are you forgetting about Portland State?

JSUSoutherner
November 22nd, 2015, 04:05 PM
I think Kennesaw State shoulda got into playoffs....xthumbsupx

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 22nd, 2015, 04:09 PM
Thank you there are seven teams from the Missouri Valley and five or six from the big sky that would go undefeated in the patriot league

- - - Updated - - -

Lol.

To say they wouldn't have gotten a "look" just shows the level of bias you have. 7-4 with a league loss would have meant they either beat Navy, UNH or @ Princeton. That would have gotten them a "look". A 7-4 Lehigh would have gotten a "look" had they won last week in Hamilton. Look does not equal bid....just one of the teams tabled for discussion. One of probably 30 or so teams for the at large bid?

Does anyone know how many teams the committee tries to look at for the at large spots?

UNHWildcat18
November 22nd, 2015, 04:12 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Lol.

Well hopefully you guys can beat champs of two conferences next year (regardless of how good they are) and make the playoffs :D

SDFS
November 22nd, 2015, 04:40 PM
What's your point? you wouldn't have heard me bitch if SHSU hadn't made it. 2013 and last year is the same story. Hell 2012 too...

What can I say? The committee must be rewarding us for our past playoff success or maybe those big bids the AD places are hard to turn down when we're on the bubble but at the end of the day, we weren't entitled to those bids. Didn't win enough games. Though I'm happy see my team make the most out of those opportunities.

edit-

It's a 24 team playoff for the # 1 spot. You're lucky to be there with a non top 10 resume.

Its seems pretty simple to me.. but my point being UND has a better resume in 2015 that SHSU - yet SHSU is in the playoff. I would like to see my team rewarded with an opportunity to make some noise in the playoffs. UND was playing well.. But, we will have to give it another run next year.

chattanoogamocs
November 22nd, 2015, 05:28 PM

Playing a Non DI can hurt a teams chances.

Playing 2 FBS games can hurt a teams chances.

Western keeps doing both. Stop doing it!

CID1990
November 23rd, 2015, 02:54 PM
Before the USC game, I was fairly certain that we were a lock for an AL bid even if we lost that game.

Now, seeing some of the teams that got Woffed and a 6-5 team making it, I have to wonder...

Would a 7-4 El Cid have gotten in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KnightoftheRedFlash
November 23rd, 2015, 03:22 PM
SFU.

BisonTru
November 23rd, 2015, 03:24 PM
Before the USC game, I was fairly certain that we were a lock for an AL bid even if we lost that game.

Now, seeing some of the teams that got Woffed and a 6-5 team making it, I have to wonder...

Would a 7-4 El Cid have gotten in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say yes, but it it is far from a lock.

PantherRob82
November 23rd, 2015, 03:25 PM
SFU.

xlolx

KnightoftheRedFlash
November 23rd, 2015, 03:29 PM
xlolx

At least, our misery make others happy. xdrunkyx

AmsterBison
November 23rd, 2015, 04:56 PM
somebody thought Eastern Washington should sneak in there, eh? xcoffeex

ScreaminEagle?

Somebody who wanted them as their first round game?