PDA

View Full Version : Saban giving CSU respect

BisonTru
November 18th, 2015, 11:46 PM
https://vimeo.com/146207111

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2015, 12:00 AM
This video is great. I'm glad Saban recognized our division like he did but I still hope CSU rips through them like Georgia Southern and does what we couldn't to the SEC this year. Someone needs to take them down.

PAllen
November 19th, 2015, 07:15 AM
Nice rep for CSU and I hope you beat the infected waters. That said, Saban has to do everything he can to prop up his pathetically weak schedule in hope that the SEC name gets him into the playoff.

Big_Fan
November 19th, 2015, 07:25 AM
Nice rep for CSU and I hope you beat the infected waters. That said, Saban has to do everything he can to prop up his pathetically weak schedule in hope that the SEC name gets him into the playoff.
https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

http://www.predictionmachine.com/Strength-of-Schedule-Rankings-CFB-Teams

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/

...just sayin'

SENOREIDA
November 19th, 2015, 08:26 AM
Wow, Saban used coach speak! Stop the press, stop the press!
I really don't understand why this is getting so much press.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 19th, 2015, 09:13 AM
Wow, Saban used coach speak! Stop the press, stop the press!
I really don't understand why this is getting so much press.

Coach speak or not, he is correct on this one. It's one thing to bring out platitudes and another to go on a minute+ long rant about the subject.

Georgia Southern that year was shut down by UTC (the second half), the Citadel, App State, and of course NDSU. Yet a defense full of NFL guys and several first-round talents couldn't stop them. And yes, Saban prepared for that game, there was reports of them preparing for our offense before the season started. The "FCS" label just doesn't matter as much as some think.

BTW, for a loss, the "Butt Bama" game has really paid some dividends for Georgia Southern. :D

PAllen
November 19th, 2015, 09:14 AM
https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

http://www.predictionmachine.com/Strength-of-Schedule-Rankings-CFB-Teams

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/

...just sayin'

Middle Tennessee
Louisiana-Monroe
CSU

Just Sayin'

Big_Fan
November 19th, 2015, 09:42 AM
Middle Tennessee
Louisiana-Monroe
CSU

Just Sayin'

...and still top 3 in sos. Maybe it has something to do with the other 9 teams that will be playing in bowls. 10 once they hit Florida. They don't need me defending them. Everyone ranks their schedule top 3 in difficulty.

Hate on the tide all you want, but calling their schedule ridiculously weak is just ignorant. If you want weak, look at some Big ten schedules. tOSU is a doozy.

PAllen
November 19th, 2015, 10:09 AM
...and still top 3 in sos. Maybe it has something to do with the other 9 teams that will be playing in bowls. 10 once they hit Florida. They don't need me defending them. Everyone ranks their schedule top 3 in difficulty.

Hate on the tide all you want, but calling their schedule ridiculously weak is just ignorant. If you want weak, look at some Big ten schedules. tOSU is a doozy.

When every team in the SEC with a winning record goes to a bowl game, that's not much of a feather in the cap. SEC SOS has been a self perpetuating myth for a long time. They declare their conference far superior to anyone else, then because they play more teams in that conference than anyone else, their SOS must be the best, and therefore, if they have a good season, then they must be the best. BTW, Iowa's schedule is a joke too. Where the SEC strength argument falls to pieces is that if you use the same assumption with any other conference, then suddenly the top teams in that conference are the top. Anyway, maybe CSU will pull this one out and really show the fanboys what a good FCS team can do.

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2015, 10:41 AM

tOSU is definitely victim of a weak schedule. But at least they don't get dropped by Bama.

Lehigh'98
November 19th, 2015, 10:46 AM
When every team in the SEC with a winning record goes to a bowl game, that's not much of a feather in the cap. SEC SOS has been a self perpetuating myth for a long time. They declare their conference far superior to anyone else, then because they play more teams in that conference than anyone else, their SOS must be the best, and therefore, if they have a good season, then they must be the best. BTW, Iowa's schedule is a joke too. Where the SEC strength argument falls to pieces is that if you use the same assumption with any other conference, then suddenly the top teams in that conference are the top. Anyway, maybe CSU will pull this one out and really show the fanboys what a good FCS team can do.

Is the MVFC the SEC of FCS?

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2015, 11:13 AM

Typically. You could say that. The difference is the MVC has actually been consistently winning championships in the past. The SEC is lucky if they beat an ACC or B1G team in the championship.

AshevilleApp2
November 19th, 2015, 11:32 AM
Typically. You could say that. The difference is the MVC has actually been consistently winning championships in the past. The SEC is lucky if they beat an ACC or B1G team in the championship.

The SEC has won 7 of the last 10. Not too bad. I'm not an SEC fan, but there was a period where they were clearly the best conference. The gap is closing though.

Lehigh'98
November 19th, 2015, 11:55 AM

Not sure what you are talking about. The SEC won many NC's.

CSU18
November 19th, 2015, 12:21 PM
Coach Chadwell was on the Paul Finebaum show earlier this week. He stated that CSU would go to Bama and see if our best was good enough to be competitive with Bama. Once he sees that our best isn't competitive, he's looking ahead to the playoffs and making sure the team stays healthy. He made the comment that we may realize at the coin toss that our best isn't good enough.

My question is, if he pulls the starters after the first quarter, and this game gets really ugly (and I mean REALLY ugly), does that hurt CSU in the selection commitee's eyes?

BisonTru
November 19th, 2015, 12:29 PM
Coach Chadwell was on the Paul Finebaum show earlier this week. He stated that CSU would go to Bama and see if our best was good enough to be competitive with Bama. Once he sees that our best isn't competitive, he's looking ahead to the playoffs and making sure the team stays healthy. He made the comment that we may realize at the coin toss that our best isn't good enough.

My question is, if he pulls the starters after the first quarter, and this game gets really ugly (and I mean REALLY ugly), does that hurt CSU in the selection commitee's eyes?

I doubt it. Everyone knows who Bama is and expects it to be a blow out. In my eyes if a team gets beat easily, I don't put a lot of stock into the MOV.

walliver
November 19th, 2015, 01:14 PM

Those arguments can be applied to just about any conference at any level.
Now we here it about the MVFC. A few years ago we heard the same about the CAA, before that it was the Big Sky, and the Gateway before that.

It is a basic flaw with any strength of schedule argument. Identical teams playing in different conferences will have wildly different SOS's. Put NDSU in the Pioneer League and their computer rankings would fall dramatically.

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2015, 01:33 PM
Not sure what you are talking about. The SEC won many NC's.
Yeah, I was kinda spewing crap with that one. They didn't beat FSU or OSU though. The gap is definitely closing.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/43028-bcs-conferences-who-has-the-most-national-championships-of-all-time

If you rearrange the conferences to align with todays conferences the B1G outnumbers the SEC 34-27. The Ivy outscores both of them with 60.

BEAR
November 19th, 2015, 02:24 PM
I like to tenderize and soak my steaks in a good sauce before I cook and devour them the next day too. xthumbsupx

rokamortis
November 19th, 2015, 02:24 PM

Many people on here feel like an FBS loss won't hurt you in any capacity. But the committee also said they look at overall win / loss record and and that they don't like seeing teams lose late in the season. Who knows for sure? Plus it could change slightly from year to year.

I'll just tell you what we were told from our coach when SC gave us a nice beat down a few years ago in the final game of the regular season - he said that he felt that the loss did hurt us and that it was a reason for the committee to drop us in their ratings. I don't know if that is true or not but the coaches and ADs talk with the committee and regional committee so I would think his statement has some basis in fact.

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2015, 02:32 PM
Many people on here feel like an FBS loss won't hurt you in any capacity. But the committee also said they look at overall win / loss record and and that they don't like seeing teams lose late in the season. Who knows for sure? Plus it could change slightly from year to year.

I'll just tell you what we were told from our coach when SC gave us a nice beat down a few years ago in the final game of the regular season - he said that he felt that the loss did hurt us and that it was a reason for the committee to drop us in their ratings. I don't know if that is true or not but the coaches and ADs talk with the committee and regional committee so I would think his statement has some basis in fact.
I feel like as long as CSU shows up and makes a stand the committee won't hold it against them. Bama was able to shut down LSU, after all. If they pull the upset (I'm pulling for CSU this weekend as well as my Gamecocks) they can be #1 all day long in my opinion. I mean heck, we lost to Auburn and we still jumped in the polls.

rokamortis
November 19th, 2015, 02:50 PM
I feel like as long as CSU shows up and makes a stand the committee won't hold it against them. Bama was able to shut down LSU, after all. If they pull the upset (I'm pulling for CSU this weekend as well as my Gamecocks) they can be #1 all day long in my opinion. I mean heck, we lost to Auburn and we still jumped in the polls.

If CSU beats Bama I think they should get the 1 seed. No doubt.

citdog
November 19th, 2015, 03:44 PM
I prefer to believe a former head of the committe who stated publically on a certain radioshow that it doesn't.

PAllen
November 19th, 2015, 04:04 PM

When the MVFC starts scheduling only D-II and PFL teams OOC, and then goes 0'fer in the playoffs for a few years in a row, then they'll be the SEC of FCS.

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2015, 04:10 PM
When the MVFC starts scheduling only D-II and PFL teams OOC, and then goes 0'fer in the playoffs for a few years in a row, then they'll be the SEC of FCS.
Oh and occasionally they drop games to random teams they think they should be able to beat because they are either "cupcakes or play in a cupcake league".
See JSU @ Ole Miss
or tOSU vs. Alabama
or FSU vs. Auburn
or JSU vs. Auburn (not a win but we embarrassed them nonetheless)
or Georgia Southern @ Alabama (same as above)
or anyone Vandy has ever played.

Here's a fun question, what are the FCS conference counterparts in the FBS based of strength/perception? Not location or number of teams?

Big_Fan
November 19th, 2015, 04:34 PM

no. The sec has 4 different teams with natty's in the past 10 seasons, and many with 10 win seasons.

rokamortis
November 19th, 2015, 04:54 PM
I prefer to believe a former head of the committe who stated publically on a certain radioshow that it doesn't.

So CSU is considered 9-0? They in the mix for a 1 seed? At least a top 4?

Thumper 76
November 19th, 2015, 08:47 PM

I feel like your almost trying to convince yourself as much as you are others. Doesn't the committee basically look at the teams record vs FCS and a FBS win is a bonus? As well as basically not counting DIIs?

FormerPokeCenter
November 20th, 2015, 07:31 AM
Oh and occasionally they drop games to random teams they think they should be able to beat because they are either "cupcakes or play in a cupcake league".
See JSU @ Ole Miss
or tOSU vs. Alabama
or FSU vs. Auburn
or JSU vs. Auburn (not a win but we embarrassed them nonetheless)
or Georgia Southern @ Alabama (same as above)
or anyone Vandy has ever played.

Here's a fun question, what are the FCS conference counterparts in the FBS based of strength/perception? Not location or number of teams?

I'm not sure a 5-5 team is embarrassed by the one win that's keeping them at .500 on the season...

JSUSoutherner
November 20th, 2015, 12:19 PM
Well when they were "supposed to drop 60 on us" I think it counts as a low point in their season. It's a win no one wants to talk about. Similar to Alabama's GaSouthern game. But yeah. I get your point. I'm just trying to say the SEC isn't as invincible as they think they are.

crossfire07
November 21st, 2015, 04:02 AM
Typical response from a fighter (Saban) before he has the chance to stomp a mudhole in your ass with his 2nd and 3rd stringers. What was the score in that Georgia Southern game? That's what matters, not how many yards you had in a losing effort. Thats for those that live for moral victories.

TennBison
November 21st, 2015, 07:29 AM
Typical response from a fighter (Saban) before he has the chance to stomp a mudhole in your ass with his 2nd and 3rd stringers. What was the score in that Georgia Southern game? That's what matters, not how many yards you had in a losing effort. Thats for those that live for moral victories.

That exactly. All that Saben is doing is being nice. But in the end all he is doing is coach speak and nothing more. He could very well be laughing 10 seconds after the interview "can you believe those guys actually fell for that". Almost every coach at any level shows respect to any team he is playing, this day and age it is what they all do. Bill Snyder is the most visible example of a coach actually showing respect with the letters he hands out to players of opposing teams when they do well or beat K St.

Lehigh'98
November 21st, 2015, 07:48 AM

I thought last year was their only bad bowl season??