PDA

View Full Version : Article on Finances of UNH Football

TexasTerror
December 11th, 2006, 10:07 AM
This article focuses mostly on UNH, but brings in UMass and Montana. Also discusses how UNH wants a larger stadium so they can bring in the "heavyweights" like a Montana.

DURHAM -- The University of New Hampshire football team is winning fans with its dominance on the field, but it's losing money.

The Wildcats, whose performance on the gridiron has made great strides over the past few years under coach Sean McDonnell, recently finished their season with a 9-4 record and reached the Division I-AA quarterfinals.

But UNH football lost more than $1 million during the last fiscal year, 2005-2006. It spent more than $3 million and brought in a little less than $2 million.

UNH athletics director Marty Scarano said most Division I-AA football programs are expected to operate at a loss, but the gap at UNH should be smaller this year, as ticket sales jumped from 172,000 last season to 320,000 this fall.

"UNH football is probably the most efficient operation that maintains excellence of any program that's out there," Scarano said.

http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/12112006/sports-unhfoot1211.html

AmsterBison
December 11th, 2006, 10:43 AM
"...as ticket sales jumped from 172,000 last season to 320,000 this fall"

What in the world does that mean?

Hehe, and if they want to get a home game against Montana, they better get it as the first game in a home and home or put in a $300k buyout.

mainejeff
December 11th, 2006, 11:15 AM

Hehe, and if they want to get a home game against Montana, they better get it as the first game in a home and home or put in a $300k buyout.

I was wondering the same thing. I don't think that UNH is drawing 50K+ per game. It must be $320,000.

jstate83
December 11th, 2006, 12:06 PM

Guess they had a jump in overall attendance.

Look's like they took the total's for 2 years to look at the increase.
They way the have it worded, they had a 148,000 increase in the number of poeple that saw them play for all games this year.

No way this can be for just home games with the size of thier stadium as one post stated.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 11th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Just guessing but I thing they are talking total ticket sales in dollars.
Not the number of tickets sold.

Another attempt to keep the need for a new staduim in the news.

Good job Marty keep it up.

Old Cage
December 11th, 2006, 12:14 PM
It's dollars. They had their first sellout ever for UMass this year - they reported 10,598. I think the tickets were $10.

They are effecient because they only rent two porti-potties for the visitor side. 1,000 UMass folks were squatting in the woods at halftime. Not kidding.

They have a tad bit of modernizing to do.

DrG
December 11th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Hell, I'd consider kicking in a bit if UNH does a fund-raising drive for a new stadium!

GannonFan
December 11th, 2006, 12:29 PM
1,000 UMass folks were squatting in the woods at halftime.

Man, if that's not a joke just sitting on a tee ready to be hit out of the park I don't know what one would be! ;)

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 11th, 2006, 05:58 PM
It's dollars. They had their first sellout ever for UMass this year - they reported 10,598. I think the tickets were $10.

Actually, I believe every game this year except Hofstra in the Monsoon was a sellout. (Because it was Parent's Weekend another sellout was anticipated for Hofstra.) And we had a larger crowd for JMU with 13K (Homecoming) than for UMass. IIRC, multiple sellouts last season too.

FWIW, those figures have to be dollars because there's no way it's attendance.

We're embarrased by the state of Cowell Stadium too. That's all I'm going to say. You guys can take the other comments and go over to the Smack Forum and have a blast with them.

The point that has been missed is how much less that deficit between resources and expenses has become for UNH. Programs like UNH significantly reducing that deficit is good for the overall strength of CS Football.

Frankly, UNH doesn't get enough credit for putting a quality product on the field despite:

Crappy facilities
Above average tuition and Room & Board costs for a Public Institution
Significant reliance on out-of-state students
High academic standards for athletes
Northern location

MplsBison
December 11th, 2006, 06:46 PM
North Dakota, a state with far less population and far fewer graduating high schoolers has 6 universities and what will be 2 DI-AA football teams.

So don't talk about significant reliance on out of state students as being something that has an affect on the football team.

Not to mention our location and climate.

DrG
December 11th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Actually, I believe every game this year except Hofstra in the Monsoon was a sellout. (Because it was Parent's Weekend another sellout was anticipated for Hofstra.) And we had a larger crowd for JMU with 13K (Homecoming) than for UMass. IIRC, multiple sellouts last season too.

FWIW, those figures have to be dollars because there's no way it's attendance.

We're embarrased by the state of Cowell Stadium too. That's all I'm going to say. You guys can take the other comments and go over to the Smack Forum and have a blast with them.

The point that has been missed is how much less that deficit between resources and expenses has become for UNH. Programs like UNH significantly reducing that deficit is good for the overall strength of CS Football.

Frankly, UNH doesn't get enough credit for putting a quality product on the field despite:

Crappy facilities
Above average tuition and Room & Board costs for a Public Institution
Significant reliance on out-of-state students
High academic standards for athletes
Northern location

I completely agree. It's a miracle that UNH has been able to maintain a quality program for all these years despite its disadvantages, especially the facilities. Like I said, take up a collection for a new stadium and I'll toss something in the hat.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 11th, 2006, 07:17 PM
When did I say it was only a problem at UNH or even mention North Dakota? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Don't care what you say Mpls, it is a significant factor in the A-10. Just look at the rosters of UMass, Towson, JMU and William & Mary! Public peers in the A-10 that can rely on a significant portion of their roster being in-state. More out-of-state football players at UNH times the higher tuition, room and board costs equals higher expenses. And when the majority of our A-10 competition offers better facilities and climate, that's a recruiting edge. Those are significant factors in my books.

RabidRabbit
December 11th, 2006, 09:35 PM
When did I say it was only a problem at UNH or even mention North Dakota? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Don't care what you say Mpls, it is a significant factor in the A-10. Just look at the rosters of UMass, Towson, JMU and William & Mary! Public peers in the A-10 that can rely on a significant portion of their roster being in-state. More out-of-state football players at UNH times the higher tuition, room and board costs equals higher expenses. And when the majority of our A-10 competition offers better facilities and climate, that's a recruiting edge. Those are significant factors in my books.

What % of football team is from the Granite St?

An indoor stadium, like both the North Dakota schools have would help with the attendance. Any NDSU fans know the % of ND students on team? Doesn't ND & MN have a reprocity agreement for instate tuition rates? I'm pretty certain that SD & MN have such an agreement.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 11th, 2006, 11:37 PM
What % of football team is from the Granite St?

An indoor stadium, like both the North Dakota schools have would help with the attendance. Any NDSU fans know the % of ND students on team? Doesn't ND & MN have a reprocity agreement for instate tuition rates? I'm pretty certain that SD & MN have such an agreement.

A very quick count of the roster shows 16 of 92 players are from NH. Of those 16, nine are true freshman. I don't think any of the nine saw significant playing time. Although two are highly regarded. When I review the names of the 16, I'm guessing that only six are scholly players. For example, most of the nine freshmen were not included in the write-up given during February's signing period.

FWIW, there is an agreement between the six New England state universities that offers in-state tuition if your home state doesn't offer the major at one of the other five universities. There aren't too many majors that UNH offers that UConn and UMass doesn't. So, that agreement isn't really a factor to the best of my knowledge.

UNHWildCats
December 12th, 2006, 12:01 AM
whats more impressive is in 2005 including the playoffs UNH had 8 home dates. this year they had only 5 including the Hofstra game which was played in horrible weather and drew less then 2000 fans.

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 13th, 2006, 01:09 PM

They are effecient because they only rent two porti-potties for the visitor side. 1,000 UMass folks were squatting in the woods at halftime. Not kidding.

They have a tad bit of modernizing to do.

Actually, back in 1977, during the leather helmet days of D2, UNH hosted UMASS in a YC championship game that attracted a crowd of well over 20,000. Craziest scene you ever saw--people were literally hanging off the field house overhangs, just about everywhere, ...... Only down side was a 19-6 UMass win, ..... A year or two later, homecoming at UNH drew over 17,000 fans. Field has been downsized by over 50% since those days and, as we know, it isn't getting any younger or prettier ...

Cowell Stadium seating capacity was originally about 12,500. Back in the early 1980's, average attendance as reported by ticket sales was close to 12,000 fans per game. It has been all very much downhill since those "sort of" salad days until the last two years.

All the permanant bathroom facilities are located back in the field house itself or under the home side stands. It does make for interesting woods watching on the visitors side during a game. :D

clearthinker
December 13th, 2006, 02:42 PM
A very quick count of the roster shows 16 of 92 players are from NH. Of those 16, nine are true freshman. I don't think any of the nine saw significant playing time. Although two are highly regarded. When I review the names of the 16, I'm guessing that only six are scholly players. For example, most of the nine freshmen were not included in the write-up given during February's signing period.

FWIW, there is an agreement between the six New England state universities that offers in-state tuition if your home state doesn't offer the major at one of the other five universities. There aren't too many majors that UNH offers that UConn and UMass doesn't. So, that agreement isn't really a factor to the best of my knowledge.

My son is from California and plays football for the Wildcats--he loves it--the school, the people, the surroundings and UNH plays great football with a great coach--once kids from California understand that the sun and the beach are not the only things in life worth living for---they will learn to love New England

Polywog
December 13th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Good luck in getting Montana to go all the way to New Hampshire. The Griz have been notorious the past few years by buying off their contracts so they don't have to honor their return trip of a home-and-home. The Griz sell out their 30K stadium with regularity, so the guarantee would have to be pretty high for them to forgo those gate receipts.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 13th, 2006, 03:13 PM
I think Marty was talking about Montana in more general terms.
As in a Montana type team...a top flite program.
None of the top national teams will come to the stadium we have now unless they have to. A-10, playoffs ect....
He used Montana as an example because they'd just been on TV v UMass.
Most UNH followers, even the recent band wagon jumpers, watched that game and saw what a class stadium looks like.

We need to get all the new fans on board for this new stadium while we're still rolling!!!

Oh ya, and we'll take all the band wagon jumpers we can get.

henfan
December 13th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Good luck in getting Montana to go all the way to New Hampshire.

That's why you don't do a home-home with Montana unless you've got the deal loaded to have the Griz travel on the first leg of the series.:smiley_wi

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 13th, 2006, 04:21 PM
My son is from California and plays football for the Wildcats--he loves it--the school, the people, the surroundings and UNH plays great football with a great coach--once kids from California understand that the sun and the beach are not the only things in life worth living for---they will learn to love New England

Welcome aboard!! Hope you stay around during the off season! :nod:

Glad to hear your son is happy! My experience in over 30+ years being associated with UNH as a student and alum is that the vast majority of students have very positive experiences at UNH. Please keep spreading the gospel out there in Cali!! No doubt Sean would welcome some more kids from CA!!!!

wildcat2
December 14th, 2006, 10:07 AM
One thing the news article does not consider is the amount of money the local economy takes in for the home games. Lets say they have 6 home games in season with 10,000 people in the stands. That's 60,000 people going to UNH football in the fall. If 60,000 people spend 20 bucks which would be two great sausage sandwiches and a beer that more than makes up for the loss of funds in the program. More realistic in the numbers would be at least $100 per person that pumps six million into the local economy. I know my average spending was at least 500 per game between hotel and restaurants,gas etc......Think about it. If everyone spent that then its 30 million. Just about what they want from cheapos in the state house. In one year.

rcny46
December 14th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Welcome aboard!! Hope you stay around during the off season! :nod:

Glad to hear your son is happy! My experience in over 30+ years being associated with UNH as a student and alum is that the vast majority of students have very positive experiences at UNH. Please keep spreading the gospel out there in Cali!! No doubt Sean would welcome some more kids from CA!!!!

I think there were seven players from California on this season's roster.Chip Kelly was on a plane the night the team returned from the game in Amherst,headed for the Golden State once again.BTW,speaking of recruits,according to Alan Lessels,who covers UNH sports for The NH Union Leader,mentioned earlier this week,that the football program received a verbal commitment from a QB/WR/DB from Wayne,NJ.His name is Chaz Cervino,and his numbers are impressive-PASSING,1,262 yds. w/15 TD's,and RUSHING,1,002 yds. w/13 TD's.He also had two interceptions.Lessel's didn't mention Chaz's receiving stats.Not bad when you consider he suffered a broken hand during the season and missed some games as a result.Let's hope the verbal becomes actuality.

rcny46
December 14th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Just wanted to clarify something I said in my post above.The numbers I indicated for Chaz Cervino were for his senior season,not his HS career.