PDA

View Full Version : Coastal Carolina, Or Chuck South, For A Seed?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2015, 09:53 AM
This needs to be polled because there's a pretty good case to be made for either seeding Coastal, seeding Chuck South, or seeding neither.

Professor Chaos
November 18th, 2015, 09:59 AM
I'd guess only one Big South team gets a seed. Chuck South should get a seed but I have a feeling that CCU will get a seed (provided they beat Liberty and Chuck South loses to Bama).

Gangtackle11
November 18th, 2015, 10:07 AM
What teams has the better attendance? If its a wide margin it may lead you to how the committee leans. Charleston Southern should get it in theory.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2015, 10:14 AM
Is there an 8th team that could sneak into a seed that makes it "neither"? Chattanooga leaps to mind.

rokamortis
November 18th, 2015, 10:41 AM
I think a case could be made for any of the options but if Coastal wins at Liberty I think they will get a seed before CSU - but CSU could be in the discussion as well. Most of you don't like it because the Big South isn't a traditional power conference but we have held our own in OOC and playoffs the past few years.

I know people point to head to head and that CSU won the conference, but they hurt themselves with their OOC. CSU only played 8 FCS games and will have 8 FCS wins. They chose to schedule 2 money games and I don't think the committee will give them the benefit there. They also played a DII game. CSU also has poor attendance and a really bad field setup - no permanent seats or facilities on the away side. Also. as a new entrant into the field the committee generally hasn't given unproven teams the benefit of the doubt.

Provided this scenario requires a Coastal win tomorrow night - let'd move forward with that assumption. Coastal played 11 FCS teams and lost to a top 15 ranked opponent. 10 DI / FCS wins with a loss to a ranked opponent will look good. The committee has demonstrated in the past that they like records more than some of the more nuanced analysis that many of you guys try to push. The committee has also demonstrated that they look at recent playoff performance history and Coastal has performed well the past couple of years - winning at Montana 2 years ago and giving NDSU a good game last year. Remember also, Coastal got a seed last year even though they lost in the last game and didn't get the autobid.

With all that said, the committee will decide what they want to do and we all know that we can't fully predict what they will choose to do. I could see all of the "parity" helping Coastal since we could have a shiny 10 win record and the many other teams are fighting to have 8-9 DI wins. I could also see the committee giving us a nice middle finger since we start the transition to FBS next year.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2015, 10:47 AM
I think a case could be made for any of the options but if Coastal wins at Liberty I think they will get a seed before CSU - but CSU could be in the discussion as well. Most of you don't like it because the Big South isn't a traditional power conference but we have held our own in OOC and playoffs the past few years.

I know people point to head to head and that CSU won the conference, but they hurt themselves with their OOC. CSU only played 8 FCS games and will have 8 FCS wins. They chose to schedule 2 money games and I don't think the committee will give them the benefit there. They also played a DII game. CSU also has poor attendance and a really bad field setup - no permanent seats or facilities on the away side. Also. as a new entrant into the field the committee generally hasn't given unproven teams the benefit of the doubt.

Provided this scenario requires a Coastal win tomorrow night - let'd move forward with that assumption. Coastal played 11 FCS teams and lost to a top 15 ranked opponent. 10 DI / FCS wins with a loss to a ranked opponent will look good. The committee has demonstrated in the past that they like records more than some of the more nuanced analysis that many of you guys try to push. The committee has also demonstrated that they look at recent playoff performance history and Coastal has performed well the past couple of years - winning at Montana 2 years ago and giving NDSU a good game last year. Remember also, Coastal got a seed last year even though they lost in the last game and didn't get the autobid.

With all that said, the committee will decide what they want to do and we all know that we can't fully predict what they will choose to do. I could see all of the "parity" helping Coastal since we could have a shiny 10 win record and the many other teams are fighting to have 8-9 DI wins. I could also see the committee giving us a nice middle finger since we start the transition to FBS next year.

That's a pretty good summary of the dilemma.

Mayville Bison
November 18th, 2015, 11:10 AM
I'd guess only one Big South team gets a seed. Chuck South should get a seed but I have a feeling that CCU will get a seed (provided they beat Liberty and Chuck South loses to Bama).

This

jmrepak
November 18th, 2015, 12:12 PM

This is spot on, and a much nicer synopsis than my arguments in a few threads here. I actually could lean to both getting seeds as well. I don't expect it, but if there were a few upsets this weekend you could see us getting a 4-5 seed and CSU getting an 8. I don't think that's what happens, but its possible.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2015, 12:22 PM
The computer ratings have Chuck South, Coastal and Chatty all over the map. Some have Coastal ahead, others have Chuck South ahead, some even have Chatty above both (but not the majority of them).

Let's hypothetically say that there's contention between either one getting the seed. Could Chatty be a compromise choice?

mvemjsunpx
November 18th, 2015, 12:28 PM
It's hard to say what will happen here, but I think CSU should get a seed & CCU shouldn't. Coastal's only at-all notable win is Western Illinois, while the Bucs beat both CCU and The Citadel. CSU did get blown out by weak FBS Troy, but that hardly overcomes the better wins and H2H victory over the Chants.

AshevilleApp2
November 18th, 2015, 12:34 PM
Does attendance matter in determining seeds? I know it does in who gets home games in non-seeded games.

jmrepak
November 18th, 2015, 12:47 PM
Does attendance matter in determining seeds? I know it does in who gets home games in non-seeded games.
Theoretically no, but when you see the dump that CSU plays in you'd understand the NCAA and committee not wanting that as their representation of D-1 FCS football. I don't see CSU being seeded over us, but they have had a pretty good season and have a great coach. They could squeak in as an 8 if CCU got a 5 or 6, but it's a BIG stretch for the BSo to get 2 seeds. We can talk semantics all day, but we have 50+ games to go and only a few days until selection Sunday. Should be an interesting weekend.

MarkCCU
November 18th, 2015, 12:53 PM
For much of the reasons that rokamortis has laid out, I think if Coastal beats Liberty tomorrow, then we get the seed. Our one loss is better (and more competitive) then CSUs losses to Troy and Bama.

If we lose...then it's CSU's. No doubt.

knucklehead
November 18th, 2015, 12:59 PM
If anyone, it'll be CSU, but they may not get it either.

CCU will be out after their loss to Liberty tomorrow night.

rokamortis
November 18th, 2015, 01:10 PM
If anyone, it'll be CSU, but they may not get it either.

CCU will be out after their loss to Liberty tomorrow night.

You might be right, but at least we all know that Liberty is not even in the picture now. Despite the promise of their QB that they would win out. Despite all of the facts and trends that flame fans try to spout.

kdinva
November 18th, 2015, 06:04 PM
Theoretically no, but when you see the dump that CSU plays in you'd understand the NCAA and committee not wanting that as their representation of D-1 FCS football. .

This.......

ming01
November 18th, 2015, 07:00 PM
There's no debate. CCU is behind PSU and JMU for seeds IMO.

rokamortis
November 18th, 2015, 07:26 PM

True. Also behind Fordham, Harvard, and Bethune-Cookman.

Bisonwinagn
November 18th, 2015, 07:56 PM

They are the same or higher ranked in the GPI plus 4th in both the coaches, and STATS polls. I think it's clear CCU will be seeded probably around 7.

8T
Portland St
BSC
8-2

8T
Coastal Car
BSo
9-1

James Madison
CAA
8-2

rokamortis
November 18th, 2015, 09:02 PM
They are the same or higher ranked in the GPI plus 4th in both the coaches, and STATS polls. I think it's clear CCU will be seeded probably around 7.

8T
Portland St
BSC
8-2

8T
Coastal Car
BSo
9-1

James Madison
CAA
8-2

That's what I expect based on past history of the committee ... but we still have to beat Liberty. Plus the committee can throw a curveball if they want to, I hope they don't but I could see them pushing Coastal down just because we are transitioning to FBS next year.

Thumper 76
November 18th, 2015, 09:07 PM
What if CCU gets a seed over two of the top three MVFC teams, I think it might break AGS.

SENOREIDA
November 18th, 2015, 09:09 PM
What if CCU gets a seed over two of the top three MVFC teams, I think it might break AGS.
Yea, it would. It might break all of fly over country.

jmrepak
November 18th, 2015, 09:13 PM
It would definitely break AGS. I don't see it happening, nor do I necessarily think we deserve a 4 seed. As a fan of my school of course I would love it, but I don't think we're quite worthy of that. I'm thinking we get a 5 but a 6 at worst. *All of this is assuming we win tomorrow.

rokamortis
November 18th, 2015, 09:15 PM

If we did it would probably leave lots of men at their keyboards sobbing in frustration.

The only way possible I see that happening is that since there is such a cluster of teams to sift through that they may say ... let's give the team with 10 wins (again - if we are fortunate enough to win tomorrow) a higher seed. But I don't see it happening as UNI's AD is the chair and he loves to espouse the toughness of the MVFC.

BisonTru
November 18th, 2015, 11:13 PM
http://www.yomister.com/image/data/0/rayban-oakley/Oakley/Oakley-OO9223-Size-55-Sky-Blue-Blue-Mirror-19-Wayfarer-Sunglasses-343_1.jpg

CID1990
November 19th, 2015, 02:22 AM
I think it all comes down to how strong one thinks the Big South is compared to conferences like the CAA or MVFC.

If one is seeded it should be CSU since they are the stronger team.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 19th, 2015, 04:31 AM
The computer ratings have Chuck South, Coastal and Chatty all over the map. Some have Coastal ahead, others have Chuck South ahead, some even have Chatty above both (but not the majority of them).

Let's hypothetically say that there's contention between either one getting the seed. Could Chatty be a compromise choice?

Chattanooga will have to upset Florida State to make the leap to a seed - not gonna happen. The wild card is politics. If the committee prefers a wealth distribution effect for seeding, then anything is possible. But if you look at the eight best teams and resumes, GPI is your best indicator. So theoretically the battle this weekend is between Coastal, PSU and JMU for that last seed.

If JMU wins vs. Villanova this weekend, then a 9-2 CAA team might be the 8th seed. GPI has them at 10 as shown previously, and beating Villanova (GPI #24) is better than Liberty (#47) or even Eastern Washington (#31), so I imagine some of those computer rankings would shift. All of that said, JMU needs to take care of business and Villanova is playing for an at-large spot. This will be a tough game for the Dukes even at home. The Wildcats have been without Robertson long enough to adjust and have been playing well down the stretch. Similarly, PSU needs to beat EWU on that eye sore of a red field to clinch the BSC. If SUU wins and PSU loses, would the Big Sky not have a seed this year? If both JMU and PSU lose, the door is wide open for the Big South to get 2 seeded teams in the field.

I rank them in this order (if any loses, drop that team to the bottom):
PSU (likely seed, even with a close loss at an erratic EWU team on the road)
JMU (needs a win vs. resilient Villanova at home)
CCU (needs to win + a little help wouldn't hurt, liberty can surprise - ask the Griz)

Amazing to think that with 8 seeds, the CAA and SoCon could combine for only 1 seed, which will likely be in the 5-8 range. These two conferences dominated the top 10 in FCS for the better portion of a decade. Add to that the possibility of the BigSky potentially not getting a seeded team in the field? Madness!! Kudos to the BigSouth for stepping it up and picking up the slack in the Southeast region of the landscape.

FargoBison
November 19th, 2015, 09:03 PM
Question answered I guess.

jmrepak
November 19th, 2015, 09:05 PM
Yep. We are in, but at this point we aren't even guaranteed a home game. Our defense is just absolute dog s--- on tackling. However, tonight is on the offense and the OC. We got away from our normal game plan and it cost us dearly.

rokamortis
November 19th, 2015, 09:07 PM

Yep

CID1990
November 20th, 2015, 03:59 AM
Probably better start watching film on The Citadel.

caribbeanhen
November 20th, 2015, 04:48 AM
[UOTE=CID1990;2288677]Probably better start watching film on The Citadel.[/QUOTE]

what do you boys call da offense, flexbone, option, single wing?

CID1990
November 20th, 2015, 07:31 AM
we call it the triple option but the formation is closest to the flexbone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaladinFan
November 20th, 2015, 07:33 AM
Probably also worth noting that, unlike virtually every team you see running the triple option, the Citadel often does it out of the hurry up. Not jet speed, but they get up to the line quick and keep coming at you.

BucBisonAtLarge
November 20th, 2015, 10:25 AM

CCU gets a seed, for all of the above reasons. CSU is going on the road in the first round-- their facility is really shaky and there is no way that they are paying a guarantee. I had not been ranking Coastal in the 'seed' zone, due to SOS but would give them the nod after the Liberty game. That was a fun game to watch last night.

rokamortis
November 20th, 2015, 10:52 AM
CCU gets a seed, for all of the above reasons. CSU is going on the road in the first round-- their facility is really shaky and there is no way that they are paying a guarantee. I had not been ranking Coastal in the 'seed' zone, due to SOS but would give them the nod after the Liberty game. That was a fun game to watch last night.

We would be extremely lucky to get a seed at this point - but I think we have to at least be in the discussion. 9-2 vs a full FCS schedule. One loss to a top ten and a loss to a conference rival in a good environment. I'm not saying it is a great argument and certainly don't expect it, but stranger things have happened. We probably need a couple of other teams to lose.

I actually would be happy for CSU to get it. They've earned it more than we have this year. They have some strikes against them unrelated to play on the field this year and that may work in our favor - but it shouldn't.