PDA

View Full Version : CHAMPIONSHIP PREDICTION THREAD

CharlestonAppFan
December 11th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Ok, since no one has attempted to post anything like this so far yet, I'll be the first one to do it. Although, since I've posted my prediction, App has won each time in the past three weeks so it's more of a superstitious thing than anything else.

Appalachian State 31 UMass 20:
I think App's offense will be hard for UMass to stop (maybe slow down) and we get our 30+ points, however, UMass's D will gives us the hardest fight to date. Armanti, K-Rich, and Dexter will see to it that we score throughout the game. YSU tried to stop the rushing attack and Armanti threw over the top of them for long plays, which opened up the ground game. I look for more of the same with UMass. The key is to complete the passes early in the game to set up the run later, but will App be able to do it against such a good D?

App's D will certainly focus on the Baylark and will try to plug the holes their O line will make for him. I predict he gets his yards like Mason did, but if UMass is down by 14 points, then those yards will not mean as much, just like Mason's didn't.

That's the key that makes sense to me. If App comes out scoring and leading by 2 td's, then UMass will have to start airing it out. From what I've seen from UMass, that's when they are vulnerable to making mistakes. Now that's a big IF. IF App can come out firing and scoring, then I think we have an advantage, but if not, then their D will stiffen up and it will be a very close battle all night long.

App's got the advantage of Offense, UMass's advantage is Defense. Which is better? That's why it's settled in Nooga and not some freakin bowl game....Gotta love playoffs! :thumbsup:

UMass922
December 11th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Appalachian State 28
Massachusetts 27

Trailing 27-20 in the final minute, ASU scores a touchdown and breaks my heart by, fittingly enough, "going for two" and converting for the win.

ncguitarplyr
December 11th, 2006, 10:44 AM
app 30
umass 20

Black and Gold Express
December 11th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Until someone proves their defense can stop our offense, I see no reason why this score should be too different from the rest of our playoff scores. UMass has a nice offense, but not a quick strike one and ASU can stop the run. Can Coen take enough pressure off of Baylark to allow him to be effective? Big question to be answered on Friday. If he can then UMass can move the ball and get some points.

Richardson will be able to go, and Devon Moore has proven in the playoffs he is a capable backup, especially if the O-line keeps blowing up opposing defenses as they have all year long (in which case any one of us here would be capable backups with those holes). UMass' blitzing style of defense will be a good test for us, but could very well blow up in their faces when (not if :)) Armanti gets past the wave of rushers and is out in the open field. Or if he just buys time and then has a bunch of single coverage on a dangerous group of receivers.

Ultimately, as with the rest of our games this year, my feeling is that the primary key will be if ASU is its own worst enemy or not with turnovers. We do have an experience edge as well, and will have a huge crowd which our players do feed off of.

All in all, I think we prove we are the best team in I-AA. It's a close game in the first half, once we get up two or more scores it will force UMass to go more pass and that's not what they prefer to do.

UMass - 24
The 2006 National Champion ASU Mountaineers - 38 :hurray:

Maroon&White
December 11th, 2006, 11:03 AM
I love people underestimating UMass.

Fordham
December 11th, 2006, 11:03 AM
UMASS 28
Appy 21

Part of this is a little 'homerism' since UMASS beat our PL member in Rd 1 but I think this is the best D Appy will face and the fact that their unbelivably talented QB is a frosh and hasn't been through this ringer before ... and hasn't faced a D like this yet ... will be the difference maker. I just think the D will be able to get a key turnover or two out of him/them and that this will be the difference.

Plus, I don't mind being the first in this thread to pick UMASS.

Either way, can't wait to see these two teams square off - should be a classic final.

NativeAppy
December 11th, 2006, 11:11 AM
ASU - 38
UMASS - 14

89Hen
December 11th, 2006, 11:15 AM
I'm having a tough time with this one. While off the cuff I'd say AppSt will win, I wouldn't be surprised to see UMass win either. I agree with B&G that UMass has to find a way to stop ASU's offense, something few teams have been able to do this year. The best way would be to keep them off the field and somehow make them kick FG's.

GeauxColonels
December 11th, 2006, 11:23 AM
I gotta go with UMass...after all, I did pick them to win it all in my bracket!

But, either way, it should be a GREAT game!

appstate1998
December 11th, 2006, 11:35 AM
I really don't think many people are disrespecting UMASS. If anything I think that most people are underestimating App. It has been like that since the opening day loss at State (When Elder was QB). I can't wait for this game. Either team has the capability to put points on the board as shown in their records this year. I for one had been thinking this would have been a season where we finished 2nd or 3rd in the conference because I didn't have faith in Elder's speed to run the offense.

Ever since I saw a video clip of Armanti last year though I had been telling everyone he would be starting by the 5th or 6th game. Luckily he came sooner. IMO the key to this game is the first quarter. If App can lock up on D early, I think they will win by 14. Against YSU after we fumbled we could have cracked and been down 7-0 right away, but the Defense held strong and got us the momentum back. If App can get some early 3 and outs I think UMASS has a long night ahead of them. However, if UMASS were to win, I feel like they need to capitalize very quick. They need App to be playing catch up to be effective, even if it's only a touchdown. Having Edwards playing catchup is where you are most likely to seem him become a freshman and make a mistake.

after the YSU game I joked saying we would blow them out by 30, but all joking aside my prediction is

App 34
Umass 24

:twocents:

Pards Rule
December 11th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Appy 31, Umass 27

BillLuc1982
December 11th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Appy 20, UMass 16

bandl
December 11th, 2006, 11:49 AM
UMass - 19
ASU - 16

Defensive battle, IMO. I don't think there are going to be too many TD's in this one...unless there are some costly turnovers, something like a Coen INT returned for a TD.

Old Cage
December 11th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Here is an interesting prediction on this game:

http://home.att.net/%7Ekeepers.football/wsb/html/view.cgi-html2.html--SiteID-844114.html

and another:

http://www62.pinnaclesports.com/vwguestlines.asp?sportType=Football&sportSubType=NCAA&descr=NCAA

Mine: UMass 24
Appy somewhat less than 24

Edit: Some folks can't get the links to open. The first guy has UMass a two point favorite and the Pinnacle Sports Book has UMass a three point favorite.

Saluki Fan in FL
December 11th, 2006, 12:11 PM
UMass 31
App St. 28

I think we may see even more points on the board than that even. I predict a high scoring game. I'm not going against UMass on this one, they did last weekend, what very few have done. Both teams are going to have to worry about each other's offense.

Ivytalk
December 11th, 2006, 12:50 PM
UMass 21, ASU 17.:nod: Crapsville will become Appsville!:D

UMass922
December 11th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Here is an interesting prediction on this game:

http://home.att.net/%7Ekeepers.football/wsb/html/view.cgi-html2.html--SiteID-844114.html

and another:

http://www62.pinnaclesports.com/vwguestlines.asp?sportType=Football&sportSubType=NCAA&descr=NCAA

Mine: UMass 24
Appy somewhat less than 24

Edit: Some folks can't get the links to open. The first guy has UMass a two point favorite and the Pinnacle Sports Book has UMass a three point favorite.

Pinnacle has ASU--not UMass--as a three-point favorite, according to the link you provided:

Massachusetts +3
Appalachian State -3

ncguitarplyr
December 11th, 2006, 02:09 PM
ok i just ran an ncaa 07 simulation lol app vs umass @ chattanooga

it came out
app 31
umass 24

(which is suprisingly close to my 30-20 prediction)

GaSouthern
December 11th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Appy ROLLS

App St : 30
umASS : 17

th0m
December 11th, 2006, 05:02 PM
UMass takes it, all you need to know.

The Dude
December 11th, 2006, 05:28 PM
App: 28
UMass: 24

Lizzie_ASUband
December 11th, 2006, 05:36 PM
app wins it by a touchdown scored early 4th quarter and keeps it there

ASUMountaineer
December 11th, 2006, 05:54 PM
I've made this prediction on another thread:

Appalachian 31
UMass 24

Appalchian gets 24 by halftime and KRich punches one in during the 4th to seal the deal. (This is all guesstimation...but, fun)

Fordham
December 11th, 2006, 06:13 PM
(This is all guesstimation...but, fun)

Wait a minute, you're guessing?

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 11th, 2006, 06:17 PM
UMASS by 4.........

GO UMASS.......A-10 rocks......3 of the last 4......

ASUMountaineer
December 11th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Wait a minute, you're guessing?

Well, I don't want to sound like a "know-it-all." If I said, "this is what will happen" some people might get mad that I would spoil the game.:D :cool:

youwouldno
December 11th, 2006, 06:25 PM
App St by 10.

Peems
December 11th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Appalachian State 28
Massachusetts 27

Trailing 27-20 in the final minute, ASU scores a touchdown and breaks my heart by, fittingly enough, "going for two" and converting for the win.

even if you are being sensible you NEVER pick against your team!:eek:

Col Hogan
December 11th, 2006, 06:42 PM
OK, I'll go out on a limb and predict ASU wins the NC...in 2007...after Armanti faces the UMass defense this year and learns what a real D can do. He'll come back much better prepared as a soph, ready for all comers.

This year, he learns.

UMass 24
ASU 21

Peems
December 11th, 2006, 06:45 PM
this is the best chance for either umass or app. dont be a griz fan and guarantee next year. santos, murietta all talented qbs who havent won the big one yet. use what you have now and win NOW. there are no guarantees next year.

No_Skill
December 11th, 2006, 07:01 PM
App has to be considered the favorite, but when it comes to the National Championship...well that has to be an easy game to "get up for". UMass has a better chance than some are giving them.

App blows out UMass - 15%
App wins close game - 45%
Umass wins close game - 35%
Umass blows out App - 5%

B&G
December 11th, 2006, 07:28 PM
App beat Coastal by 17
App beat Montana St by 21
App beat YSU by 25

If this were a SAT test I'd say App by 29. But since it isn't a mathematical equation, I'll take ASU by 9. I know most will scoff at the notion but I really feel like UMass will be zapped by travelling to Montana, winning a hard-fought nailbiter, travelling back to MA, and then travelling to TN to play a team that should be well-rested and championship tested. If Mass had played their last game at home, then I would be a basketcase right now.

Like I said, I know some will poo on my viewpoint. But there's nothing they can say that will prove it wrong. Only the Minutemen can prove that.

ASU 33
Mass 24

SouthernEagle02
December 11th, 2006, 07:44 PM
ASU - 38
UMASS - 14
Something tells me that UMass will get more than 14 and App won't get passed 20. Close one though. 20-17 UMass. But then again what do I care about this game. xcoffeex

Coastal-Effect
December 11th, 2006, 07:45 PM
APP. ST-45:nod:
UMASS-14

Grizo406
December 11th, 2006, 08:16 PM
I truly dislike some App State fans, which is my problem, and not theirs. I'd love to see UMass win, but I think the Mountaineers will win this one by 20 points.

BrevardMountaineer03
December 11th, 2006, 08:42 PM
I say Appalachian in a nail bitter....24-17. Too much Edwards and Richardson, then Richardson and Edwards!

appmountaineermaniac
December 11th, 2006, 08:46 PM
thanks coastal fan we can use all the fan support we get!

Bobcat in NC
December 12th, 2006, 08:25 AM
App 34
UMass 17

SoCon48
December 12th, 2006, 08:41 AM
App beat Coastal by 17
App beat Montana St by 21
App beat YSU by 25

If this were a SAT test I'd say App by 29. But since it isn't a mathematical equation, I'll take ASU by 9. I know most will scoff at the notion but I really feel like UMass will be zapped by travelling to Montana, winning a hard-fought nailbiter, travelling back to MA, and then travelling to TN to play a team that should be well-rested and championship tested. If Mass had played their last game at home, then I would be a basketcase right now.

Like I said, I know some will poo on my viewpoint. But there's nothing they can say that will prove it wrong. Only the Minutemen can prove that.

ASU 33
Mass 24

Only thing is, Mass, playing last Friday has a 7 day rest, ASU 6. Might cancel out.

UMass922
December 12th, 2006, 09:22 AM
even if you are being sensible you NEVER pick against your team!:eek:

I've done so the last two weeks, and it's worked out, so I'm now about to change things up now . . .

Dabnus Brickey
December 12th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Ok, here's the outcome

1st Quarter - ASU 14 UMass0
2nd Quarter - ASU 17 UMass7
3rd Quarter - ASU 24 UMass10
4th Quarter - ASU 38 UMass 17

mcveyrl
December 12th, 2006, 10:01 AM
APP. ST-45:nod:
UMASS-14
:eek: :eek: I offered this to somebody else. But you'll give me UMass + 30, right??

Shoot, I'd take UMass +24 just to give you a cushion.

I don't think it will be nearly that kind of blowout.

I hope that it will be close (although I guess everybody except for UMass and ASU fans hope that).

I predict a 6 overtime thriller with Trey Elder running in the winning two point conversion.

I really have no idea (which is obvious) and I can't pick between the closest CS team to me (ASU) and my team's conference champ.