PDA

View Full Version : Will the Gateway back down as well?

X-Factor
December 10th, 2006, 11:57 PM
less than 2 years after NDSU/SDSU were rejected by the Big Sky for the 2nd time :rolleyes: it may happen again, but by a different conference.

Before the 2006 season the Gateway Comish was quoted saying they were not worried about any team comming in and running over the other Gatway members because it is a well established confereance. funny how fast ideas can change. :rolleyes:

-"Gateway membership is discussing whether the league population will be seven, eight or nine teams in 2008."

-“I for one will tell it very openly. I’m not wide open to taking North Dakota State,” Missouri State director of athletics Bill Rowe said. “We’ve got a tough enough league right now. Their facilities are comparable to some Big 12 schools."

-“The league is tough enough now. You start rolling those people in there, and at some point it starts to become a detriment to everybody,” ISU coach Denver Johnson said. “The bad thing about the Dakota schools is in their state they are at the top of the food chain.

“They are at a different place as far as facilities and (state) appropriations to football. If we’re going to invite them in, there needs to be a real discussion that league members need to step up to their level.”

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2006/12/10/sports/doc457cbca2b79c3726421891.txt

This should be very good news to the other 3 Great West members. :hurray:

gamesaver22
December 11th, 2006, 12:10 AM
seems like some scared coaches to me!!!!!

December 11th, 2006, 12:27 AM
did either of you listen to CSN WAVES last week???? The GFC commish was on and again discussed GFC expansion. Folks, the WAVES show is something you should pay attention to. You have no chance of misquotes because you can listen to the guests in their own words/voice. The GFC was 7 before and could easily be 7 again. No big deal.

Grizalltheway
December 11th, 2006, 12:46 AM
I wish the big sky would quit farting around and kick N.Colorado and Suck state out, letting NDSU and SDSU in. Perhaps we could then get some cred on this site.

ASU Kep
December 11th, 2006, 01:07 AM
Since apparently a lot of GFC teams are going to be looking for another "quality" FCS team next season, I hope one or two will play us. I would strongly prefer NOT to play another D-II (besides GVSU maybe). Hell, a rematch with the Penguins or Panthers would be awesome.

Peems
December 11th, 2006, 01:14 AM
i have a question? if NDSU and SDSU were to join the gateway and win the conference next year they still would not be able to go dancing correct?

ASU Kep
December 11th, 2006, 01:26 AM
i have a question? if NDSU and SDSU were to join the gateway and win the conference next year they still would not be able to go dancing correct?

I'm sure they wouldn't, but that'd be pretty funny.

Peems
December 11th, 2006, 01:28 AM
I'm sure they wouldn't, but that'd be pretty funny.

i thought so, just thought the scenario would be interesting

Hammersmith
December 11th, 2006, 03:16 AM
That's the scenario for us in the Mid-Con next year. With our MBB team doing so well, we're hoping to win the regular season title which should give us an automatic berth in the NIT. A long shot, but something to hope for.

Regarding Gateway: There is 0.001% chance of getting into Gateway for the 2007 season(I never say never). The earliest the invite would be for is 2008, our first year of playoff eligibility. I'm hopin'. I'm prayin'. I'm thinking happy thoughts.

Also, I don't suppose ASU would be interested in a home and home? I'd really like to see your running game against our rush defense. Irresistible force, meet immovable object. I'd pay to find out what would happen.

ASU Kep
December 11th, 2006, 03:50 AM
Would I love a home and home with ya'll? You bet your ass. Would our respective administrations be interested? Doubtful, certainly from the ASU side at least (and no, not cuz we're scared :)).

Chances are we won't meet 'til the playoffs...

ASU Kep
December 11th, 2006, 03:52 AM
That's the scenario for us in the Mid-Con next year. With our MBB team doing so well, we're hoping to win the regular season title which should give us an automatic berth in the NIT. A long shot, but something to hope for.

Regarding Gateway: There is 0.001% chance of getting into Gateway for the 2007 season(I never say never). The earliest the invite would be for is 2008, our first year of playoff eligibility. I'm hopin'. I'm prayin'. I'm thinking happy thoughts.

Also, I don't suppose ASU would be interested in a home and home? I'd really like to see your running game against our rush defense. Irresistible force, meet immovable object. I'd pay to find out what would happen.

So would I. To find out what would happen AND to therefore shut you guys up. :D

pantherclaw
December 11th, 2006, 06:31 AM
If ya notice the quotes at the begginning of this thread come from the two bottom feeders of the GFC. Ask Mark Farley or (i forgot the YSU coach's name, wanna say Heacock) or Coach Kill down at SIU and i think you'd get a completly different answer.

Cocky
December 11th, 2006, 06:58 AM
Come to the OVC, I don't think we have ever loss to NDSU.

BillLuc1982
December 11th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Since apparently a lot of GFC teams are going to be looking for another "quality" FCS team next season, I hope one or two will play us. I would strongly prefer NOT to play another D-II (besides GVSU maybe). Hell, a rematch with the Penguins or Panthers would be awesome.

Does beating GVSU merit anything for an FCS school? They could probably beat most FCS schools. I'm surprised they are still D-2.

RabidRabbit
December 11th, 2006, 07:56 AM
Come to the OVC, I don't think we have ever loss to NDSU.

Surprisely, there have yet to be games between OVC and GWFC schools. Especially the Dakota's this could be GREAT OOC's :hurray:

BillLuc1982
December 11th, 2006, 08:01 AM
I bet NW MO State would join the Gateway if they moved up. They could probably destroy MSU (former SW MO State)

HLecter
December 11th, 2006, 08:06 AM

Hell, we don't want to play you in the regular season.

Too much pressure on the rest of the year if we lost, especially since we will be playing a 1A money game every year.

You can't leave it to the committee to figure out a "quality loss", they don't even know what a "quality win" is.

SO ILLmatic
December 11th, 2006, 08:39 AM
The majority of the Saluki fans, coaches, and broadcasters that I have heard talking about Gateway expansion are in favor of adding the 2 Dakota schools.

I think it will give the Conference more credibility and scheduling 3 OOC games seems alot easier than trying to schedule 5 OOC games. But like others have mentioned before, as well as Patty V, nothing before 2008.

BearsCountry
December 11th, 2006, 08:39 AM
I find it discouraging from our adminstration and coaching staff on expansion. I know they are trying to build our program up and they want to do by using the K-State model in my book ie playing easy schools and win games. Facilities comments make me sick as well, especially considering we are building a Big 12 quality basketball arena and have one of the nation's best baseball fields and a pretty quality football stadium that doesn't need a lot to become one of the best in our division. Sometimes I just wonder about our athletic department for a school with so much potential and success we are stuck back in our D2 days in alot of ways.

Reed Rothchild
December 11th, 2006, 10:46 AM
I would hope that the coaches would be in favor of expansion. It would make scheduling much easier for all the teams. They could each still get a BCS "money" game and not have to worry about scheduling DIIs anymore. Plus, better teams mean better games and more attendance.

crunifan
December 11th, 2006, 10:59 AM
I fully support adding NDSU and SDSU in the Gateway. And I'm sure Panther head coach, Mark Farley would support it as well.

Johnny5
December 12th, 2006, 03:35 AM
I hope NDSU and SDSU enter the gateway. I say it would be better for the conference all around....I am tired of going to games without crowds because no one cares about Indiana State or whoever (yeah I know they are in our conference...unfortunately) The Coaches and Ads who do not want to add tougher schools..should go play somewhere else...and when they want to sit at the grownups table again we might let them. If my memory serves me correctly, the last 2 programs added to GFC were/are top tier programs (YSU/WKU) but did not run over the conference. Are we going to stop playing other games because the teams are too tough? If that is the case we might as well play DII/DIII/NAIA and hope for the best.:twocents:

Cleets
December 12th, 2006, 08:14 AM
I wish the big sky would quit farting around and kick N.Colorado and Suck state out, letting NDSU and SDSU in. Perhaps we could then get some cred on this site.

Agreed!

it's a perfect match...