PDA

View Full Version : National Champion: Who will win it?

CasualFan
November 16th, 2015, 06:27 AM
Seems self explanatory...

Edit: VOTES ARE PUBLIC!

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 16th, 2015, 06:28 AM
Homer pick: Valley team.....NDSU

Big_Fan
November 16th, 2015, 06:33 AM
I'll take the field :)

...not saying it will be us. It would be nice, and we have a shot... but I think this is the year for someone other than the MVFC, regardless.

WTFCollegefootballfan
November 16th, 2015, 07:04 AM
A MVFC team. If the brackets are setup right, I see two MVFC teams in the championship.

Bisonator
November 16th, 2015, 07:14 AM
Yeah I'm not sure what the committee will do. If they want to see the best tournament and championship game they should spread the teams out on both sides of the bracket. If they want to eliminate a one conference championship they will lump us all together. Obviously the chances for an MVFC champ again would vary depending on what they do.

UNHWildcat18
November 16th, 2015, 07:20 AM
As long as NDSU doesn't win it I'll be happy. Don't get me wrong in very glad all of the NDSU fans got to witness such an incredible dynasty. I'm a pats fan so I know all about that. Also NDSU has also helped get more national attention to the FCS. We need someone new to win it, NDSU winning is getting old and annoying. No need for the "well someone needs to prove they can beat us" responses, just want to see some new blood in the championship.

CasualFan
November 16th, 2015, 07:29 AM
I'm taking the field, but I had to think about it quite a while.

mvemjsunpx
November 16th, 2015, 07:31 AM
Jacksonville State will win it all despite being the only non-MVFC team to make the quarterfinals. xcoffeex

Bisonator
November 16th, 2015, 07:47 AM
As long as NDSU doesn't win it I'll be happy. Don't get me wrong in very glad all of the NDSU fans got to witness such an incredible dynasty. I'm a pats fan so I know all about that. Also NDSU has also helped get more national attention to the FCS. We need someone new to win it, NDSU winning is getting old and annoying. No need for the "well someone needs to prove they can beat us" responses, just want to see some new blood in the championship.

That's understandable. Everybody seems to root against the person or team that seems to win every year. It'll come to an end at some point. Could very well be this season as the Bison have been inconsistent. Just when I think they are becoming dominant again they have a stinker. This years playoffs appear to be way more wide open than the last 4.

Rabbit74
November 16th, 2015, 07:55 AM
I expect it to be a Valley team not named NDSU

UNHWildcat18
November 16th, 2015, 08:01 AM
That's understandable. Everybody seems to root against the person or team that seems to win every year. It'll come to an end at some point. Could very well be this season as the Bison have been inconsistent. Just when I think they are becoming dominant again they have a stinker. This years playoffs appear to be way more wide open than the last 4.

Agreed this year looks more open. I think for the MVFC teams, the road to Frisco is going to be determined by who is playing better throughout the playoffs. Could very well be NDSU again. Very excited to get this final week over with and get on to the bracket!

ST_Lawson
November 16th, 2015, 08:35 AM
I voted "a team from the MVFC" mostly because I think the odds are in our favor. There's three teams from the MVFC that I think have a legitimate chance to win if they play like they can. Outside of the MVFC, I see maybe 2-3 other teams out there that also have a legit chance at winning. Obviously JSU, but also W&M and maybe Charleston Southern. If you've got 5-6 teams that you think could win the championships, and 3 of them are MVFC teams, then you have pretty good odds.

AmsterBison
November 16th, 2015, 08:39 AM

That makes total sense to me. It's kind of like Game Day going to JMU instead of NDSU - I think that was great for the FCS and I expect that they'll be making a stop at a different FCS school next year too.

Still, I think that an MVFC team wins it. Illinois State and SDSU are looking pretty good, and NDSU is not too bad. Of course, the way the bracket is set up will affect the odds.

I hope the fanbases of both teams in the championship bring the noise. I'd hate for the title game to lose the momentum it has going.

Sycamore62
November 16th, 2015, 09:10 AM
I voted MVFC however each team I expect will make it has played great and terrible. Nothing would surprise me.

well, and OVC team winning 2 games would.

BisonFan02
November 16th, 2015, 09:18 AM
Valley team.....barring another CAA team peaking at the right time? Is JSU for real? Same for McNeese St.

eiu1999
November 16th, 2015, 09:35 AM
I think someone will trip up JSU and leave the door open for NDSU, ISU, SDSU.......

WileECoyote06
November 16th, 2015, 09:37 AM
IF NDSU has homefield, then I'll believe another team can beat them in the playoffs when I see another team beat them in the playoffs. #respect

If they don't have homefield, then it'll be even more exciting.

THE HERD
November 16th, 2015, 09:43 AM
I'll take the field :)

...not saying it will be us. It would be nice, and we have a shot... but I think this is the year for someone other than the MVFC, regardless.

If its not a MVFC team I would definitely put my money on you guys.

JSUSoutherner
November 16th, 2015, 09:56 AM
I think someone will trip up JSU and leave the door open for NDSU, ISU, SDSU.......

Wouldn't be a shocker. We have the team to go in (and if we played to our highest ability like we did in Auburn and EKU) leave everyone in the dust. But there have been a few of moments where I've been wondering where our team is? Mostly with the offense. It always seems to work, but has moments where you know they aren't playing nearly what they should be. The defense is MEAN. A good example of an "offense slip" is the first 3 quarters of the EIU game. We just need to be able to come out and set the tempo and let the snowball roll. If we play like we did against EKU or Auburn those MVC teams can bow down. But if we play with anything less our postseason losing streak may extend. If we can come to play, which we've very done well at home, I think we will be in Frisco come January.

mvemjsunpx
November 16th, 2015, 09:56 AM
IF NDSU has homefield, then I'll believe another team can beat them in the playoffs when I see another team beat them in the playoffs. #respect

If they don't have homefield, then it'll be even more exciting.

A team with good run D has a good shot at them if they get matched up before Wentz comes back (assuming he can).

superman7515
November 16th, 2015, 10:00 AM
Gotta root for an underdog when your team isn't in it, so I'm taking a non-Valley team.

BisonFan02
November 16th, 2015, 10:42 AM
NDSU was not my preseason pick to win the natty.....I'm still not convinced they are consistent enough to win it this year....but if they did manage to win it all this year for #5 in a row, they are going to 6 peat next year.

PantherRob82
November 16th, 2015, 10:55 AM
With 3 seeded MVFC teams you have to like those odds. It's a close one though.

Missingnumber7
November 16th, 2015, 10:58 AM
With 3 seeded MVFC teams you have to like those odds. It's a close one though.

When UNI wins this week, I would add them to that group. They are going to be a tough out, unfortunately I think they are going to end up going through another MVFC team in the second round.

Catsfan90
November 16th, 2015, 11:01 AM
Good post. I would never take anything away from NDSU. What they have done is nothing short of a miracle. But I think the playoffs will be more exciting this year because NDSU has proven they are human just like every other team. If they win it, than they will have completely earned it.

Catsfan90
November 16th, 2015, 11:02 AM
Gotta root for an underdog when your team isn't in it, so I'm taking a non-Valley team.
Dayton is undefeated.

Southern Bison
November 16th, 2015, 11:03 AM
This I can agree with 100%. A young D & Stick getting valuable game experience...future looks bright!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

CappinHard
November 16th, 2015, 11:48 AM
When UNI wins this week, I would add them to that group. They are going to be a tough out, unfortunately I think they are going to end up going through another MVFC team in the second round.

I don't know... a UNI loss wouldn't surprise me all that much... It will be Iannotti's last game, and if the Salukis can get rolling on offense, I don't think UNI will be able to keep up. They have been playing good ball, but they squeaked by SDSU, then have had 3 easy games against USD, ISUb, and Mo. St.

Maybe this is wishful thinking, as I think they will be a dangerous playoff team, and I would rather see them stay home. ;)

UNIFanSince1983
November 16th, 2015, 12:06 PM
I don't know... a UNI loss wouldn't surprise me all that much... It will be Iannotti's last game, and if the Salukis can get rolling on offense, I don't think UNI will be able to keep up. They have been playing good ball, but they squeaked by SDSU, then have had 3 easy games against USD, ISUb, and Mo. St.

Maybe this is wishful thinking, as I think they will be a dangerous playoff team, and I would rather see them stay home. ;)

Yeah I am scared about this SIU game.

However, you are calling USD an easy game? ISUb an easy game?

One could say you squeaked by USD which is an 'easy' game. In our 'easy' games we did what we should do. Blow the doors off the teams.

That being said this could all be moot if we lose to SIU which since they have had Lennon has actually happened more times than not for us. xbawlingx

CappinHard
November 16th, 2015, 12:12 PM

One could say you squeaked by USD which is an 'easy' game. In our 'easy' games we did what we should do. Blow the doors off the teams.

That being said this could all be moot if we lose to SIU which since they have had Lennon has actually happened more times than not for us. xbawlingx

I guess I should have said 'easier' games, rather than just easy... No game in the valley other than Mo. St. is easy. We did squeak by USD, I was very nervous.

Twentysix
November 16th, 2015, 01:09 PM
Seems like JSU NDSU SDSU and ISUr are the 4 most likely champions. Depending upon how the bracket is balanced, the odds could be pretty good that a MVFC team will win it.

Then again I'm pretty biased.

ming01
November 16th, 2015, 01:38 PM
William & Mary beats 2 MVC teams in the playoffs to win it

dewey
November 16th, 2015, 03:19 PM

I agree with this. UNI could make a deep playoff run and it would not suprise me.

Dewey

Daytripper
November 16th, 2015, 03:35 PM
I agree with this. UNI could make a deep playoff run and it would not suprise me.

Dewey

Or they could bow out in the first round.... but if they are hitting on all cylinders they will be very dangerous.

Grizzlies82
November 16th, 2015, 03:56 PM

If No Iowa loses, it wouldn't shock me if they still get an at large.

Depends upon how all the other games shake out. Yet if there isn't a large surplus of 7 win teams, UNI is always the best bet to get in with 6.

UNIFanSince1983
November 16th, 2015, 03:58 PM
We have been playing better since we stopped playing musical QBs, but the passing game with Bailey is too inconsistent. If teams are stopping the run we will struggle. Unfortunately we will run into teams in the playoffs who will stop the run consistently. I mean I would feel a little more confident in Bailey if he has performed better against a terrible MSU pass defense.

I mean we did run for 439 yards and he ran for 160 and 4 TDs, but the teams in the playoffs will not be gashed like MSU.

344Johnson
November 16th, 2015, 04:02 PM
I took the field. No particular reason. Would be nice to see something different.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 16th, 2015, 07:05 PM
NDSU was not my preseason pick to win the natty.....I'm still not convinced they are consistent enough to win it this year....but if they did manage to win it all this year for #5 in a row, they are going to 6 peat next year.

This here 100%.

Next year is going to be fun as he**!! The Bison will be a better team on both sides of the ball. Only lose 3 ( DT and both CBs ) on defense and 3 ( WR, OT and TE ) on offense....could probably say QB but with ES playing 5 games and playoffs, QB is technically not being lost.

All these young guys with another year with Kramer will be bigger, stronger and faster next year.

Get Ill State back on the schedule and drop SIU for 2 years...I think it is SIU.

BisonTru
November 16th, 2015, 07:20 PM
This here 100%.

Next year is going to be fun as he**!! The Bison will be a better team on both sides of the ball. Only lose 3 ( DT and both CBs ) on defense and 3 ( WR, OT and TE ) on offense....could probably say QB but with ES playing 5 games and playoffs, QB is technically not being lost.

All these young guys with another year with Kramer will be bigger, stronger and faster next year.

Get Ill State back on the schedule and drop SIU for 2 years...I think it is SIU.

To be fair we lose a little more than that. Two on the O line and one is an All-American. Lose both FBs also. Wentz will be missed and some of the stuff he brought to the table Stick can't do at the moment. Stick looks alright though, and he most likely will keep improving.

centennial
November 16th, 2015, 07:28 PM
To be fair we lose a little more than that. Two on the O line and one is an All-American. Lose both FBs also. Wentz will be missed and some of the stuff he brought to the table Stick can't do at the moment. Stick looks alright though, and he most likely will keep improving.

I think we miss having a next level QB. Jensen was borderline, he is still in the CFL, Wentz could one day become a NFL starter. Stick even though a better RO QB is not anywhere the passing threat. He needs a definite improvement in the throwing, especially the high percentage short throws that makes NDSU dangerous.

Professor Chaos
November 16th, 2015, 08:06 PM
I think we miss having a next level QB. Jensen was borderline, he is still in the CFL, Wentz could one day become a NFL starter. Stick even though a better RO QB is not anywhere the passing threat. He needs a definite improvement in the throwing, especially the high percentage short throws that makes NDSU dangerous.
Stick right now is well ahead of where Jensen was as a passer as a freshman in 2010. I'm confident that he'll improve enough next year to be a true dual threat.

IBleedYellow
November 16th, 2015, 08:55 PM
Have you taken the time to compare the QBs you're posting about?

Stick is equal if not better than Jensen in his first season.

xlolx

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

NDSUtk
November 16th, 2015, 09:34 PM
This here 100%.

Quite honestly I'm a bit worried about replacing our punter, Ben LaCompte. The guy has been a STUD for flipping the field and pinning the opponent deep.

Losing Haeg is a big hole. And who is going to replace Bonnet's flowing locks? That's the real question.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Professor Chaos
November 16th, 2015, 09:38 PM
And who is going to replace Bonnet's flowing locks? That's the real question.

Well, finding someone who can false start 1 to 2 times per game shouldn't be tough. Finding a 250 pound man who leaps over defenders in a single bound would be a little more difficult.

BisonFan02
November 16th, 2015, 09:49 PM
Quite honestly I'm a bit worried about replacing our punter, Ben LaCompte. The guy has been a STUD for flipping the field and pinning the opponent deep.

Losing Haeg is a big hole. And who is going to replace Bonnet's flowing locks? That's the real question.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

NDSU is just fine at TE...going to be a fun spring game at that position with the guys that redshirted.

I was more scared about kicker going into this year than I am about punter next year (although...LeCompte is a straight up dude...it seems like we always find good/above average punters).

Stick, Urzendowski, Anderson, Dunn, Frazier, Shepherd....skill positions are young and loaded. OL is one of the deepest positions on the team.

On D...both DEs and depth back...lose Shaetz but Tanguay is great...every linebacker is back....both safeties are now a season older. CB might be a concern out of the gate, but the talent is there...

Some big names in the below picture....but the sheer number of key guys that are going to be back (plus more experience at other positions) is going to be fun to watch....

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CT5cHMPUcAARWPa.jpg

BisonFan02
November 16th, 2015, 10:03 PM
Stick right now is well ahead of where Jensen was as a passer as a freshman in 2010. I'm confident that he'll improve enough next year to be a true dual threat.

xlolx

Lets play "NAME THAT QB!"....I'm going to give you some per game stats (to keep it away from full season)...you have to guess the QB and year/season....no cheating xlolx

Efficiency - 120.5
Comp % - 45%
Ave Yards - 105.6
Rush Ave - 25.7

Efficiency - 118.2
Comp % - 53.8%
Ave Yards - 149.8
Rush Ave - 19.2

Efficiency - 131.0
Comp % - 61.2%
Ave Yards - 155.4
Rush Ave - 23.8

Efficiency - 152.8
Comp % - 56%
Ave Yards - 106.2
Rush Ave - 67.7

EDIT:

Here's Wentz from this season and last -

Efficiency - 159.2
Comp % - 63.7
Ave Yards - 242.3
Rush Ave - 35.8

Efficiency - 154.1
Comp % - 63.7
Ave Yards - 194.4
Rush Ave - 40.1

ngineer
November 16th, 2015, 10:09 PM
JSU will finally get to the "promised land" after their last visit in 1977 when they lost to Lehigh in the D-II Championship game in Wichita Falls, Texas. (;-)

JSUSoutherner
November 16th, 2015, 10:13 PM
JSU will finally get to the "promised land" after their last visit in 1977 when they lost to Lehigh in the D-II Championship game in Wichita Falls, Texas. (;-)

We won the '92 D-II Championship before we moved up. That was the last time we were in the "promised land". We were also there in 1991 and 1989. We beat NDSU in 1977 in the semifinals. 😊
Haven't done much since though. Hopefully this year is the year.

Professor Chaos
November 16th, 2015, 10:26 PM
Lets play "NAME THAT QB!"....I'm going to give you some per game stats (to keep it away from full season)...you have to guess the QB and year/season....no cheating xlolx

Efficiency - 120.5
Comp % - 45%
Ave Yards - 105.6
Rush Ave - 25.7

Efficiency - 118.2
Comp % - 53.8%
Ave Yards - 149.8
Rush Ave - 19.2

Efficiency - 131.0
Comp % - 61.2%
Ave Yards - 155.4
Rush Ave - 23.8

Efficiency - 152.8
Comp % - 56%
Ave Yards - 106.2
Rush Ave - 67.7

#3 is Jensen's sophomore season in 2011 and #4 is Stick's freshman season this year. Gonna guess #2 is Jensen's freshman season in 2010 and #1 is Mohler in 2010???

ngineer
November 16th, 2015, 10:30 PM
We won the '92 D-II Championship before we moved up. That was the last time we were in the "promised land". We were also there in 1991 and 1989. We beat NDSU in 1977 in the semifinals. 

I stand corrected. I thought you guys had moved up at or shortly after we did. Good luck!

BisonFan02
November 16th, 2015, 10:32 PM
#3 is Jensen's sophomore season in 2011 and #4 is Stick's freshman season this year. Gonna guess #2 is Jensen's freshman season in 2010 and #1 is Mohler in 2010???

1) Brock Jensen - 2010
Efficiency - 120.5
Comp % - 45%
Ave Yards - 105.6
Rush Ave - 25.7

2) Nick Mertens - 2009
Efficiency - 118.2
Comp % - 53.8%
Ave Yards - 149.8
Rush Ave - 19.2

3) Brock Jensen - 2012
Efficiency - 131.0
Comp % - 61.2%
Ave Yards - 155.4
Rush Ave - 23.8

4) Easton Stick - 2015
Efficiency - 152.8
Comp % - 56%
Ave Yards - 106.2
Rush Ave - 67.7

The point? Outside of Wentz (and I've been watching Bison football for a long ****ing time xlolx ), NDSU doesn't have a history of NFL level QB play....just give me a guy who wins. xthumbsupx

Professor Chaos
November 16th, 2015, 10:38 PM
Wow. 1-4 isn't too good xlolx

BisonFan02
November 16th, 2015, 10:39 PM
Wow. 0-4 for me xlolx

You got Stick correct. xlolx :D

Professor Chaos
November 16th, 2015, 10:41 PM
You got Stick correct. xlolx :D
Yeah, realized that after I posted. I try to forget about the Mertens years, I'll blame it in that.

BisonFan02
November 16th, 2015, 10:42 PM
One more to redeem yourself..........good luck here. xlolx

Efficiency - 141.2
Comp % - 46.1%
Ave Yards - 99.6
Rush Ave - 65.1

centennial
November 16th, 2015, 11:39 PM

xlolx

I am talking about vs Wentz, and Jensen in his last year, meaning the last 2 years + this year. We have relied on our QB to get out of some tough spots. If our defense can get a better, and stop missing tackles we will be hard to beat. If not we will look mortal like this year, good but not great.

melloware13
November 16th, 2015, 11:55 PM
Jacksonville State will win it all despite being the only non-MVFC team to make the quarterfinals. xcoffeex
7 MVFC teams in?!?xdrunkyx

I could see W&M, JSU, and PSU winning, with more confidence in the first two. JSU hasn't lost since September's OT loss at Auburn, while the Tribe haven't lost since the beginning of October.

ST_Lawson
November 17th, 2015, 12:09 AM
7 MVFC teams in?!?xdrunkyx

Actually 9...everyone but Missouri State....a couple of us get eliminated in the first two rounds though ;)

JSUSoutherner
November 17th, 2015, 12:10 AM
I'm going to Vegas tonight and throwing all my money on Missouri State winning it all.

CappinHard
November 17th, 2015, 12:15 AM
Yeah, realized that after I posted. I try to forget about the Mertens years, I'll blame it in that.

Man, you guys sure know how to drift a thread... ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YekQYXBPoI

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 17th, 2015, 05:55 AM

Yes, there are 14 seniors that will be missed. I forgot about the 2 OL. With how Polasek runs the offense, the FB is the TE on a lot of formations.

Either way next year's team will have a lot of experience back.

Professor Chaos
November 17th, 2015, 07:24 AM
One more to redeem yourself..........good luck here. xlolx

Efficiency - 141.2
Comp % - 46.1%
Ave Yards - 99.6
Rush Ave - 65.1
Hmm, back from the veer option days?

wmmii
November 17th, 2015, 07:51 AM
With regionalization the MVC will beat up on themselves and the CAA will rise again, I am a homer so #RisingTribe

We have two all conference RB, O line that has only allowed one sack in 5 games, QB just went 21-23 in last game and good D.

Sycamore62
November 17th, 2015, 08:23 AM
It would just make sense to make 1 side of the bracket the whole MVC plus the Pioneer and NEC automatic qualifiers and then have everyone else on the other side. Its really the only way to make sure the top 10 teams are represented in the playoffs.

BisonFan02
November 17th, 2015, 08:28 AM
Hmm, back from the veer option days?

Jeff Bentrim - 1986

Catsfan90
November 17th, 2015, 08:28 AM
With regionalization the MVC will beat up on themselves and the CAA will rise again, I am a homer so #RisingTribe

We have two all conference RB, O line that has only allowed one sack in 5 games, QB just went 21-23 in last game and good D.
W&M is my choice at this point as well. Dual threat at RB, and an O-line that pushes defenses around.

Gil Dobie
November 17th, 2015, 08:54 AM
We won the '92 D-II Championship before we moved up. That was the last time we were in the "promised land". We were also there in 1991 and 1989. We beat NDSU in 1977 in the semifinals. 

I remember the 1977 game at JSU. 37 Bison players and staff had food poisoning the day of the game. Hmmmm....... ;)

Terry2889
November 17th, 2015, 05:18 PM

Agreed and rooting for you guys all the way. Perfect mix of Defense, dominant o-line, and running game. And a kicker named DORKA!!

JSUSoutherner
November 17th, 2015, 06:05 PM
I expect it to be a Valley team not named NDSU
An OHIO Valley team? ;)

Gangtackle11
November 18th, 2015, 04:50 AM
William & Mary was the best team that I saw in person this season. Hard to bet against MVFC teams, but if NDSU isn't a lock like in the past then it's a wide open field.

I'm taking W&M.

MR. CHICKEN
November 18th, 2015, 07:31 AM
Agreed and rooting for you guys all the way. Perfect mix of Defense, dominant o-line, and running game. And a kicker named DORKA!!

........DUH RECIPE....FO' WINNIN'.....BEST DANCER..........RIGHT KC..xcoolx.............FIRE BRAWK! xwavex

Daytripper
November 18th, 2015, 09:26 AM
I am quite sure that there will be no SLC teams left after the second round.. McNeese plays good defense, but they just can't score enough in my opinion. So some other non-MVFC team? I like William and Mary and Jax State.