PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Rematches...

Milktruck74
November 15th, 2015, 12:25 PM
How many times have (regular season/playoff) rematches have happened since we started the playoffs? I'm sure it is much more likely since the expansion to 24. And the follow-up, How often does the regular season winner win twice?

MR. CHICKEN
November 15th, 2015, 12:34 PM
How many times have (regular season/playoff) rematches have happened since we started the playoffs? I'm sure it is much more likely since the expansion to 24. And the follow-up, How often does the regular season winner win twice?

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21781&stc=1

Milktruck74
November 15th, 2015, 12:36 PM
I tried, Google must be taking the day off.

CID1990
November 15th, 2015, 12:37 PM

If The Citadel gets in it is very possible we will play CCU in the first round, and the winner of that game will likely play CSU - so there's a rematch almost certainly happening in SC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SUPharmacist
November 15th, 2015, 12:42 PM
NDSU-SDSU have done it twice with the same outcome.

NDSUtk
November 15th, 2015, 12:46 PM
SDSU in 2012 and 2014 had to come up to NDSU in the 2nd round. They lost both times and lost both regular season games too. I don't recall NDSU having any other rematches.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

dewey
November 15th, 2015, 12:47 PM
NDSU-SDSU have done it twice with the same outcome.

2012 and 2014.

2012 was a whooping after a close regular season game and 2014 the playoff game was very close after NDSU whooped the Jackrabbits in the regular season.

2014 UNI beat Illinois State at UNI but lost to Illinois State in the playoffs in Normal Illinois.

2014 Eastern Washington beat Montana in the regular season and the playoffs.

2013 Southeastern Louisiana beat Sam Houston State in both the regular season and playoffs.

Those are the ones I remember off the top of my head.

Dewey

JaxSinfonian
November 15th, 2015, 01:21 PM
Eastern Illinois beat Tennessee State 34-16 in Nashville in the 2013 regular season. The Panthers won a rematch in Round 2 in Charleston, 51-10.

RootinFerDukes
November 15th, 2015, 02:34 PM

It wasn't until the quarterfinals, but JMU played Villanova again in the 2008 playoffs and won both games. Regular season on the road, playoffs at home.

RootinFerDukes
November 15th, 2015, 02:37 PM
My question is, has there ever been a same season rematch between opponents in the first round? That would be the selection committee choosing to pair them together immediately, which they've shown to avoid.

dgtw
November 15th, 2015, 03:04 PM
I thought they delayed possible rematches as long as they could.

JSUSoutherner
November 15th, 2015, 03:23 PM
A few brackets are pointing toward a JSU-Chattanooga rematch if Chattanooga advances. That would be a fun game. ;) We might finally sell out Burgess-Snow if that game happens.

JayJ79
November 15th, 2015, 03:37 PM
I thought they delayed possible rematches as long as they could.

not if the NCAA can save money by setting up a bus trip

jmrepak
November 15th, 2015, 04:02 PM
If The Citadel gets in it is very possible we will play CCU in the first round, and the winner of that game will likely play CSU - so there's a rematch almost certainly happening in SC

I disagree with the discussions on CSU seeding over Coastal but I do agree that their will be at least 1 SC rematch lined up. Especially considering we 3 are the only teams likely to get in from NC, SC, GA, FL. They could do some pairing with CSU or CCU and Chatty or pair any of us with the 3 CAA's out of Virginia, but I think they will stick with regionalization first. One of us will be destined for a CSU rematch.

Casey_Orourke
November 15th, 2015, 04:53 PM
not if the NCAA can save money by setting up a bus trip

There is a lot to be said about bus trips. Every time PSU went by bus they won their games. Flying was a push (record setting win against NT and a heartbreaking loss to UNC). Even though it was initially to save money, some of the players said it brought the team closer together.

mvemjsunpx
November 15th, 2015, 05:18 PM
My question is, has there ever been a same season rematch between opponents in the first round? That would be the selection committee choosing to pair them together immediately, which they've shown to avoid.

There can, but it has to be non-conference opponents. The only one I specifically remember is Montana/Cal Poly in 2005.

melloware13
November 15th, 2015, 08:04 PM
Delaware's playoff rematches are:
-1979 v Youngstown State (Hens sweep, DII)
-1986 v William & Mary (Tribe win R.S., Hens win playoff)
-2004 v William & Mary (Hens win R.S., Tribe wins playoff)

ElCid
November 15th, 2015, 08:58 PM
I disagree with the discussions on CSU seeding over Coastal but I do agree that their will be at least 1 SC rematch lined up. Especially considering we 3 are the only teams likely to get in from NC, SC, GA, FL. They could do some pairing with CSU or CCU and Chatty or pair any of us with the 3 CAA's out of Virginia, but I think they will stick with regionalization first. One of us will be destined for a CSU rematch.

I was thinking the same thing about the Virginia schools. It is 420 miles to Richmond from Charleston, 320 from Conway. Williamsburg is another 20 miles. Harrisonburg is 405 from Conway. So if you don't get a seed they are players. Charleston to Chatty is just at 400 miles for CSU if they don't get a seed.

Sycamore62
November 15th, 2015, 10:05 PM
In1983 ISUb played both EIU and SIU as rematches in the playoffs

Grizzlies82
November 15th, 2015, 11:54 PM
There can, but it has to be non-conference opponents. The only one I specifically remember is Montana/Cal Poly in 2005.

That year Montana beat Cal Poly during the season, then Poly won in the playoffs.
Around that same time, Weber St beat Montana during the conference season, then the Grizzlies beat them in the playoffs (not in first round).
The same thing also happened with Sam Houston (or another Southland team?). Montana lost non-conf. game during season then beat them in the playoffs.

mvemjsunpx
November 15th, 2015, 11:59 PM
That year Montana beat Cal Poly during the season, then Poly won in the playoffs.
Around that same time, Weber St beat Montana during the conference season, then the Grizzlies beat them in the playoffs (not in first round).
The same thing also happened with Sam Houston (or another Southland team?). Montana lost non-conf. game during season then beat them in the playoffs.

Right. Weber was '08, Sam Houston was '04. Those games weren't first rounders, though.

Go...gate
November 16th, 2015, 12:10 AM

Boston University at Colgate, First Round (12 teams in the field in those days), 1982.

walliver
November 16th, 2015, 07:25 AM
Back when ASU, GSU, and Furman used to go to the playoffs almost every year, rematches were extremely common. When GSU and FU had their early millennial slump and the SoCon became a two bid league, these games became much less common.

The last rematch I remember was Wofford vs GSU 4 or 5 years ago (when GSU forgot to put in a bid).

ST_Lawson
November 16th, 2015, 08:22 AM
Only time we've met up with a team we played in the regular season (that I'm aware of) was 2002, but it was the second round, not the first. We'd beaten fellow Gateway Conference team Western Kentucky at their place 14-0 for our second game of the season. Then, after dispatching EIU's Tony Romo-led team 48-9 in the first round, we lost to WKU 31-28 in the infamous "Sledgehammer Fight" game. Western Kentucky would go on to win the championships that year.

ccd494
November 16th, 2015, 08:39 AM
Nov. 23, 2013 Maine 3 @ New Hampshire 24
Nov. 30, 2013 Maine first round bye; Lafayette 7 @ New Hampshire 45
Dec. 7, 2013 New Hampshire 41 @ Maine 27

If Maine and UNH are in the playoffs, they will be set up to play in the second round because of the bus trip rules. And they will have just played in the last week of the season so it will be two straight games against the same opponent for one team.

PurpleStreamers
November 16th, 2015, 10:39 AM
When JMU won in '04, they lost at home by a FG to W&M in the regular season, then beat the Tribe in Williamsburg in the playoffs, but that wasn't till the semis so it wasn't really an obvious rematch from a bracket standpoint.

In '08, when JMU was #1 they beat Villanova on the Main Line with a hail mary in a monsoon in the regular season, then beat them in a tight, but more traditional rematch at home in the playoffs. (QF - still just the 2nd round at that time).

Pretty sure JMU would love another shot at W&M or UR in the playoffs. If W&M wins this weekend and takes a seed, I imagine that would be a potential second-rounder this year too, but no doubt the CCU/CSU/Chatty group is in the mix too.

Casey_Orourke
November 19th, 2015, 08:32 PM
If Portland State wins against EWU, we should be a seeded team with a first round bye.

If SUU and Montana also win, with regionalzation they will probably be playing each other since they didn't meet during the season with the winner playing PSU in the second round. I don't particularly want to play these guys again, especially if it is SUU. We barely beat them last week and a second time around they would have a better feel for what worked against us and what didn't. The same would probably be the same for Montana.

But the playoff's committee's will be done and we will have to deal with the hand dealt us. Hopefully Coach Barnum will use the extra week to come up with a few new wrinkles that will stymie them if we have to play either of them again.

BisonTru
November 19th, 2015, 08:38 PM
If Portland State wins against EWU, we should be a seeded team with a first round bye.

If SUU and Montana also win, with regionalzation they will probably be playing each other since they didn't meet during the season with the winner playing PSU in the second round. I don't particularly want to play these guys again, especially if it is SUU. We barely beat them last week and a second time around they would have a better feel for what worked against us and what didn't. The same would probably be the same for Montana.

But the playoff's committee's will be done and we will have to deal with the hand dealt us. Hopefully Coach Barnum will use the extra week to come up with a few new wrinkles that will stymie them if we have to play either of them again.

Both of them are plane trips so that makes it less attractive, but with UMs fan base they may be intrigued to send Montana somewhere, well basically the only place, close enough to drive to.

grizband
November 19th, 2015, 11:08 PM
I don't think anyone in the playoff field would be within the 400 mile limit fit bidding to either Southern Utah, or Portland State.

BisonTru
November 19th, 2015, 11:52 PM
I don't think anyone in the playoff field would be within the 400 mile limit fit bidding to either Southern Utah, or Portland State.

Northern Az would be if they made it in.