PDA

View Full Version : Fordham - PL "bye week champs"?

Fordham
November 13th, 2015, 11:27 AM
So this point has been made on the Fordham board. Curious as to the group's thoughts as I'm guessing you can see how easily conspiracy theories can pop up when it's a school-centric board having the discussion, as many people think the league has it out for us after our scholarship demand and simply the fact that we're an associate member. I don't buy that it's any type of conspiracy but it's an odd coincidence to have it happen in three out of the five league games we have that we play a team immediately following their bye:

http://www.patriotleague.org/sports/m-footbl/patr-m-footbl-sched-15.html

1. Fordham has no regular season bye. We are the only PL school not to play on 11/21 so I guess technically that's our bye but if we don't get an at large, it's not a bye, it's an early start to the end of the season.

2. 10/24 - Fordham plays Lehigh the week following the Lehigh bye

4. 10/31 - Fordham plays Colgate the week following the Colgate bye

5. 11/14 - Fordham will pay Georgetown this week following the Georgetown bye

I've never seen that where the majority of our league match ups have been against teams with two weeks to prepare for us. Has anyone else seen something like this with their team or league?

This is just for fun banter as it is what it is but still curious as to how common this has been elsewhere.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 13th, 2015, 11:52 AM
Feel honored. It used to happen to Lehigh all the time. In fact last year Lehigh has faced Lafayette after a bye, and will again this year.

BisonTru
November 13th, 2015, 12:00 PM
Teams get two weeks to prepare in a bye week, but also teams can come out rusty after a bye. It's a double edged sword, IMO.

RichH2
November 13th, 2015, 12:15 PM
Byescare likecSchroedinger's box,both good and bad potentially. Only way to know is to open the box. Being a tad old school,I find I'm still not used to them. Wasn't that long ago Byes did not exist. Lehigh will play Pards for the second time with them coming off a bye. Next year we have the bye before our game. Conspiracy ? Very unlikely :) End result more a result of algorithms than conspiracy.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 13th, 2015, 12:21 PM
"Byes are like Schroedinger's box" really deserves to be honored on the same level as carney's "The Curse of Literacy" comment

Fordham
November 13th, 2015, 02:42 PM
Teams get two weeks to prepare in a bye week, but also teams can come out rusty after a bye. It's a double edged sword, IMO.

Agreed, there's no question that at times one team will come out flat after having the extra time. That said, it's clearly an advantage imo regardless of whether or not a team is able to capitalize on it properly.

taper
November 13th, 2015, 07:23 PM
So this point has been made on the Fordham board. Curious as to the group's thoughts as I'm guessing you can see how easily conspiracy theories can pop up when it's a school-centric board having the discussion, as many people think the league has it out for us after our scholarship demand and simply the fact that we're an associate member. I don't buy that it's any type of conspiracy but it's an odd coincidence to have it happen in three out of the five league games we have that we play a team immediately following their bye:

http://www.patriotleague.org/sports/m-footbl/patr-m-footbl-sched-15.html

1. Fordham has no regular season bye. We are the only PL school not to play on 11/21 so I guess technically that's our bye but if we don't get an at large, it's not a bye, it's an early start to the end of the season.

2. 10/24 - Fordham plays Lehigh the week following the Lehigh bye

4. 10/31 - Fordham plays Colgate the week following the Colgate bye

5. 11/14 - Fordham will pay Georgetown this week following the Georgetown bye

I've never seen that where the majority of our league match ups have been against teams with two weeks to prepare for us. Has anyone else seen something like this with their team or league?

This is just for fun banter as it is what it is but still curious as to how common this has been elsewhere.

You know that you're free to schedule out of conference for these weeks? Nobody's fault but yours that you put the open week at the end. The entire MVFC plays 8 straight conference games to end the season, no chance for a bye once that starts.

ngineer
November 13th, 2015, 09:53 PM

The real advantage for a bye week, imo, is that a team gets to heal up and rejuvenate some legs.