PDA

View Full Version : Greatest championship games...

furpal87
December 9th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Now that it is championship week what is the best championship game of all-time. Also, to make it harder name one your school wasn't in since all of us feel that the one we win (or maybe lose) was the greatest one. Also, if you want nominate the worst ones.

Best: 1) NE La 43 Marshall 42
2) Montana 22 Marshall 20
3) Ga. Southern 27 Montana 25

Worst: 1) Delaware 40 Colgate 0
2) SIU 43 W. Car 7
3) YSU 17 Marshall 5

SouthernEagle02
December 9th, 2006, 11:17 PM
Are you crazy? What about '85 were we came back? I mean that was an awesome game or ( I hate saying this) '88 were ya'll got us back for '85? Or my personal fav, 1989 Erk's last one and undefeated.

furpal87
December 9th, 2006, 11:19 PM
As I said, I think those are the two greatest, but to keep it away from a "homer" bias, I said ones your school wasn't involved with. That is more of a test what is thought of a great game!!!

SouthernEagle02
December 9th, 2006, 11:22 PM
My bad. They did teach me to read at Southern. :thumbsup:
One of the best in recent memory if the JMU-UM game. I just have to give to JMU winning everything on the road and beating one of the top I-AA programs.

furpal87
December 9th, 2006, 11:23 PM
That might have been the biggest upset in a championship game. If I remember the field was just a huge thing of mud that day.

Peems
December 9th, 2006, 11:26 PM
2000 was a great one even though the griz lost. came all the way back with their backup qb but just couldnt stop the great AP

putter
December 9th, 2006, 11:40 PM
I think you meant to say

Georgia Southern 27 -- Montana 25 and that was a good game!

My nod goes to Montana 22 - Marsall 20!!

furpal87
December 9th, 2006, 11:42 PM
Okay I edited it, I knew that didn't sound right.

Peems
December 9th, 2006, 11:47 PM
much better(though the result still sucks :bawling:)

JohnStOnge
December 10th, 2006, 12:58 AM
It's hard for me to pick just three but two I thought were as great as they get (1985 and 1987) are already up so I won't repeat that and it'll make it easier. Here are some other great ones I remember watching:

1989 Georgia Southern 37, Stephen F. Austin 34

Georgia Southern completed a 15 - 0 season by beating a Stephen F. Austin team that had 5 players go in the next NFL draft on a last second field goal. A critical play was when the Jacks opted to throw the ball from deep in their own territory in the waning moments of the game instead of playing for overtime. It was intercepted and returned into field goal range. Lots of ebb and flow in that game and a key moment where SFA had the momentum and the lead and sacked the GSU QB causing an apparent fumble. But the officials called the QB down (he wasn't), GSU kept the ball, and went on to complete the drive and tie the score instead of giving it up to the Jacks in their own territory.

1992 Marshall 31, Youngstown State 28

Marshall had a huge lead late...I believe something like 28 - 7 in the fourth quarter, but the Penguins stormed back to tie the score. Marshall won with a last minute field goal. But the real drama came in due to who the kicker was. Marshall's head coach had suspended their regular placekicker and suited up a socker player. The guy's first and only college field goal attempt won the national championship game.

You know, I'm going to leave it at that. I can think of a 10 - 9 game in 1997 that was very intense and great if you like defense but it wasn't won in the waning moments.

FlyYtown
December 10th, 2006, 07:28 AM
1992 Marshall 31, Youngstown State 28

Marshall had a huge lead late...I believe something like 28 - 7 in the fourth quarter, but the Penguins stormed back to tie the score. Marshall won with a last minute field goal. But the real drama came in due to who the kicker was. Marshall's head coach had suspended their regular placekicker and suited up a soccer player. The guy's first and only college field goal attempt won the national championship game.

Ya I'd vote for th.at one in a heartbeat. YSU was down 28-0 in the 2nd half before coming back......then the last sec field goal....

ysubigred
December 10th, 2006, 07:40 AM
10-9 YSU over McNeese in 97 was a thriller. I like "D".

bandl
December 10th, 2006, 08:14 AM
2004 NC....Montana was supposed to just roll over JMU in this one. Turned out to be quite the opposite with JMU's running game absolutely wearing out and burying Montana. :nod:

penguin8797
December 10th, 2006, 09:21 AM
I agree that the 1992 game won my Marshall was a real thriller. I still have a tape of it. Another piece of drama to the game was when one of the Marshall LB's (King I believe) was injured. He was on the field a long time, very scary, then taken off the field and to the hospital. He was released and returned to the sidelines before the end of the game.

I didn't watch any of the NC games before 1989 though.

appfan2008
December 10th, 2006, 02:38 PM
ok i know this is a major homer pick... but i really liked last years game it was close throughout and i thought it was a great game

Mountain Panther
December 10th, 2006, 04:14 PM
ok i know this is a major homer pick... but i really liked last years game it was close throughout and i thought it was a great game

I agree....now go tell that to some other App fans who said it was a "whipping."

Peems
December 10th, 2006, 04:29 PM
2004 NC....Montana was supposed to just roll over JMU in this one. Turned out to be quite the opposite with JMU's running game absolutely wearing out and burying Montana. :nod:

i dont think we were supposed to roll JMU. Matt D picked us to win and in the second half you just ran down our throats. it wasnt really a classic just a good JMU win. i say classics have to be less than 4 points and game still in question with less than a minute left.

grizband
December 10th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Funny thing about that game was the first quarter stats: Montana had a 14-0 lead, and a 120 to -2 lead in total yards. It ended up a pretty good game, with JMU running all over us in the second half.

ASU Kep
December 10th, 2006, 04:57 PM
I agree....now go tell that to some other App fans who said it was a "whipping."

Whipping? IIRC, we had the lead for all of 5 minutes after Hunter's return. I'm pretty sure ya'll were leading at the end of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Q's. We just happened to lead at the end of the only quarter that matters. :D

Tubby Raymond
December 10th, 2006, 04:59 PM
I kinda liked the 40-0 game, you could start celebrating a bit early

igo4uni
December 10th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Whipping? IIRC, we had the lead for all of 5 minutes after Hunter's return. I'm pretty sure ya'll were leading at the end of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Q's. We just happened to lead at the end of the only quarter that matters. :D

I remember UNI was up 16-7 at halftime. I was concerned because UNI was settling for field goals instead of touchdowns. The fumble return by ASU for the touchdown was huge!! However, the game was not over until the final minute when ASU used their longest running play of the game to get a first down to run out the clock. Great game......I had a blast........wish I was goin' to Chatty this year!!:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: