PDA

View Full Version : WCU's chance for playoffs

catamount man
November 10th, 2015, 08:45 PM
http://www.citizen-times.com/story/sports/2015/11/10/has-western-carolina-done-enough-make-fcs-playoffs/75507756/

Good article and while I don't think 7-4 gets us in, does it ever feel good to be on the cusp of the bracket considering from 2006-13 WCU won 14 and lost 70. Future is bright in Cullowhee. GO CATS!

FUBeAR
November 10th, 2015, 09:57 PM
http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_content_width/hash/85/51/8551658563e64238c5ca566ee74e3e56.jpg?itok=rUaX9A6b

The Cats
November 10th, 2015, 10:13 PM
Real classy FUBeAR (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/member.php?40958-FUBeAR)

Just what I'd expect from you.

JSUSoutherner
November 11th, 2015, 12:00 AM
IF WCU can win out and win convincingly I think a case can be made for them. I personally want to see them make it and come to JSU. That POTM vs. Southerners halftime show would be unreal.

By win out I mean you have to either pull the upset on A&M, which seeing Auburn run over them makes it seem possible, or absolutely trash VMI, which is completely possible. Or both.

Just remember, if you get in a pinch vs A&M, hand the ball to some kid hiding behind the O-Line.

Smitty
November 11th, 2015, 06:58 AM
Not sure if the full band would go. More than likely they would send a skeleton crew pep band instead.

As for us in the playoffs... Not likely.

JSUSoutherner
November 11th, 2015, 11:32 AM
Not sure if the full band would go. More than likely they would send a skeleton crew pep band instead.

As for us in the playoffs... Not likely.
Trust me, to JSU, they would send the whole band. People in the bandverse would go NUTS seeing the POTM go up against the Southerners. There would be a huge crowd draw just to see the bands of that happened. It would be too big of an opportunity for them to pass up. I'm sure Dr. Bodiford would roll out the red carpet to get you guys down here, it's been a lonnnnnngggggg time since we've had a great band in the stadium besides us.

towsonx
November 11th, 2015, 12:37 PM
Would have to knock of Texas A&M to get in. With one of the wins being over a DII team (Mars Hill), a 7-4 record alone would not do it.

BisonTru
November 11th, 2015, 12:52 PM
Using Massey to predict the final two weeks the bracket came down to three 6 win teams who were ranked by massey higher than a few 7 win teams for the last three spots. At six D1 wins you guys would be eligible, but the committee probably would have to feel your strength of schedule was much more difficult than some of those seven win teams.

Of course if some of those 7 win teams drop an unexpected game particularly to team that wouldn't get bumped into the 7 win column, you could end up with a rather weak bubble and get placed in the tournament.

I'd say your chances are slim, but not impossible.

longtimemocfan
November 11th, 2015, 01:56 PM
I think Western has a good team. Not sure your chances are great to get in the playoffs. It's a shame Troy Mitchell is a senior. He thoroughly impressed me when he played here a couple of weeks ago. We're lucky we played our best game of the year against you guys.

Smitty
November 11th, 2015, 02:00 PM
Trust me, to JSU, they would send the whole band. People in the bandverse would go NUTS seeing the POTM go up against the Southerners. There would be a huge crowd draw just to see the bands of that happened. It would be too big of an opportunity for them to pass up. I'm sure Dr. Bodiford would roll out the red carpet to get you guys down here, it's been a lonnnnnngggggg time since we've had a great band in the stadium besides us.

I agree I would love to see it happen, however unless the athletic department pays (doubtful, they would rather use the money elsewhere) for the entire band to go (or JSU pays) it probably won't happen. Hopefully they will start including some band money for away/playoff games in the future.

catamount man
November 11th, 2015, 05:39 PM
Hoping the d2 games end after 2016. WCU did just recently sign a home and home for four seasons with Gardner-Webb so that helps with D1 opponents andWCU is paying Davidson to come over for a game in 2017 to avoid a d2 game since we will play 12 that season due to opening at Hawaii. GO CATS!

walliver
November 11th, 2015, 06:11 PM
A big issue Western faces this year, an addition to probably less than 7 D-I wins, is the lack of a signature win. Normally, wins over FU, Wofford and Sammy would mean something, but all three are having disappointing seasons so far.

I suspect it will take a win this weekend for Western to have any realistic hopes for an at-large.

JSUSoutherner
November 11th, 2015, 07:30 PM
I hope WCU takes down A&M. Down with the SEC!

catamount man
November 11th, 2015, 08:56 PM
I hope WCU takes down A&M. Down with the SEC! It would be nice. Remember when y'all beat Ole Miss in 2010. Good stuff. GO CATS!

JSUSoutherner
November 11th, 2015, 09:21 PM
Almost took down Auburn too. 😒 If I had three wishes they would be:
1.) Don't miss that freaking FG
2.) Don't shank that freaking punt
3.) Call that freaking holding you freaking lame excuses for referees.

But yeah good luck with A&M, if Auburn can do it, anyone can. Except us, apparently... 😒

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catamount87
November 12th, 2015, 07:02 AM
A big issue Western faces this year, an addition to probably less than 7 D-I wins, is the lack of a signature win. Normally, wins over FU, Wofford and Sammy would mean something, but all three are having disappointing seasons so far.

I suspect it will take a win this weekend for Western to have any realistic hopes for an at-large.

Even if the committee were to consider us seriously, I suspect the failure to show up against UTC would play more into the "no" decision than anything. If it had been a tight road game (their homecoming no less) decided by a late field goal, then we have at least somewhat of a good "yes" argument. Then the no "signature" wins argument would come into play.

Sadly, the win against a decent Mars Hill doesn't much count even though they, by many opinions, are far better competition than say a Davidson or any of the bottom FCS programs.

walliver
November 12th, 2015, 09:43 AM
Even if the committee were to consider us seriously, I suspect the failure to show up against UTC would play more into the "no" decision than anything. If it had been a tight road game (their homecoming no less) decided by a late field goal, then we have at least somewhat of a good "yes" argument. Then the no "signature" wins argument would come into play.

Sadly, the win against a decent Mars Hill doesn't much count even though they, by many opinions, are far better competition than say a Davidson or any of the bottom FCS programs.

The committee doesn't always think that way. In the first decade of this millennium, Wofford received a bid after being blown out by App State (of course we were 9-2 (7-1) that year also. What the committee doesn't like are unexpected losses to "bad" teams. In 2002, after beating playoff teams ASU and GSU in Boone and the 'Boro, we were denied a spot for losing to VMIxbawlingxxbawlingx.

As for Mars Hill, I doubt any rational observer would consider Davidson a better opponent.

Of course, the committee surprises us every year by at least one inexplicable decision.

catamount man
November 12th, 2015, 09:55 AM
The committee doesn't always think that way. In the first decade of this millennium, Wofford received a bid after being blown out by App State (of course we were 9-2 (7-1) that year also. What the committee doesn't like are unexpected losses to "bad" teams. In 2002, after beating playoff teams ASU and GSU in Boone and the 'Boro, we were denied a spot for losing to VMIxbawlingxxbawlingx.

As for Mars Hill, I doubt any rational observer would consider Davidson a better opponent.

Of course, the committee surprises us every year by at least one inexplicable decision.

Believe that move invented the term "we were Wofford'd". That is still a travesty IMO. GO CATS!

AshevilleApp2
November 12th, 2015, 01:38 PM
I'm liking the Mars Hill respect here!

catamount man
November 12th, 2015, 03:28 PM
I'm liking the Mars Hill respect here! If Lenoir-Rhyne upsets Catawba and Mars Hill beats Brevard, which will more than likely happen considering how atrocious Brevard is, MHU will actually get a co-share of the SAC title. Tim Clifton has been in MH since 1993 and just keeps on putting out gritty teams each year. I like D2 football, especially the SAC.

GO CATS!

FUBeAR
November 12th, 2015, 03:41 PM
If Lenoir-Rhyne upsets Catawba and Mars Hill beats Brevard, which will more than likely happen considering how atrocious Brevard is, MHU will actually get a co-share of the SAC title. Tim Clifton has been in MH since 1993 and just keeps on putting out gritty teams each year. I like D2 football, especially the SAC.

GO CATS!

Looks like we have a match-up that FCS Fans are clamoring to see:

http://www.reinhardteagles.com/index.aspx?path=football

vs.

http://marshilllions.com/sports/fball/index (http://marshilllions.com/sports/fball/index)

xsmiley_wix

catamount man
November 12th, 2015, 04:59 PM
I suspect Reinhardt will be D2 sooner than later as the NAIA is rapidly coming to an end, at least in football. Nice little program down in Georgia. GO CATS!!!

The Cats
November 13th, 2015, 04:49 PM
bump

ElCid
November 13th, 2015, 05:57 PM
bump

I don't think that will help.xbawlingx Frankly I do not see a path for you without a victory over A&M. Or maybe go up on them late, blow a punt, let them score, take them to OT, then blow it in OT. Worked for one team to get respect:D. But maybe if a lot of teams crap the bed and we don't have enough at 7-4 all Div I. But even then it will be hard since you lost to both us and UTC. I think the loser of the UCT/Cid game gets in first, and even that, while likely, is not a lock.

JSUSoutherner
November 13th, 2015, 07:53 PM
I don't think that will help.xbawlingx Frankly I do not see a path for you without a victory over A&M. Or maybe go up on them late, blow a punt, let them score, take them to OT, then blow it in OT. Worked for one team to get respect:D. But maybe if a lot of teams crap the bed and we don't have enough at 7-4 all Div I. But even then it will be hard since you lost to both us and UTC. I think the loser of the UCT/Cid game gets in first, and even that, while likely, is not a lock.

Gosh, I would hate to be that team. Lose it to a bad punt? What a way to go.

We didn't go up on them late, we dominated them from our first possession, we just couldn't hold them off in the end because of our special teams mistakes, mistakes that have been fixed. But yeah, apart from Auburn we haven't proved to be worth anything that resembles a team deserving of any respect....

Dat sarcasm doe.

ElCid
November 13th, 2015, 07:55 PM
Gosh, I would hate to be that team. Lose it to a bad punt? What a way to go.

We didn't go up on them late, we dominated them from our first possession, we just couldn't hold them off in the end because of our special teams mistakes, mistakes that have been fixed. But yeah, apart from Auburn we haven't proved to be worth anything that resembles a team deserving of any respect....

Dat sarcasm doe.

I was jesting. It was too easy not too! You are #1 in my poll. But you should have put them away....

JSUSoutherner
November 13th, 2015, 08:00 PM
I was jesting. It was too easy not too! You are #1 in my poll. But you should have put them away....

I figured. It's all fun. Yeah, that game was such a roller coaster of emotion. So many little things could have tipped that game back in our favor. Auburn won by pure luck IMO.