PDA

View Full Version : Would it be enough?

knucklehead
November 10th, 2015, 07:27 PM
Yes Liberty has 2 terrible losses (GWU and Monmouth) and one not great loss (SIU). But if they win out, they would have 3 top 10 wins (CSU, CCU, and Montana). They would be 7-4. Would that be enough to make the playoff field?

KPSUL
November 10th, 2015, 07:45 PM
If they win their last two, it will come down to a 7-4 Liberty vs a 9-2 CCU. Unless Kennesaw pulled the upset of the year and beat Coastal, but that ain't happening. The 7 Team Big South will not get more than the auto-bid (CSU) and one at-large. So alas, No. I have tickets to the CCU @ Liberty game and wanted it to be a Conference Championship game like last year, or at least have playoff implications. My advice to Liberty is to lose one of your last two games to spare yourselves the disappointment of being on the wrong side of the bubble when it bursts under you again.

knucklehead
November 10th, 2015, 07:51 PM
I don't think there is a "Big South only gets 2 edict" and some of the bigger conferences have less playoff worthy teams than usual.

knucklehead
November 10th, 2015, 07:54 PM
Has an FCS team ever beaten 3 top 10 FCS teams and a FBS and not made the playoffs?

Thumper 76
November 10th, 2015, 08:05 PM
Has an FCS team ever beaten 3 top 10 FCS teams and a FBS and not made the playoffs?

Montana is not a top ten team and won't be looked upon as such come decision time.

KPSUL
November 10th, 2015, 08:24 PM
Top ten when it counts, at the end of the regular season? I'd say no. But if either CCU or CSU loses another game, I don't think they will be top ten at the end so it is a moot argument. Top ten at some point of the season? I'd say yes. My first thought would be UNI has; however, I'm not doing the research for you.

Regardless, IMO you are not going to make the playoffs. I'm not saying you shouldn't, and I'm not saying I don't want you to. Of course it depends on what happens in a couple other conferences but I see the SoCon with 2 before BigSo gets 3, and the CAA with 4 before Big So gets 3. The Big Sky with 4 and the MVFC with as many as 5 before BigSo gets 3.

knucklehead
November 10th, 2015, 08:40 PM
https://t.co/bQqtKkhBYL

“You couldn’t draw it up any better,” Liberty coach Turner Gill said. “We have an opportunity to finish the season in a great way.”
The Flames (5-4, 2-2 Big South) have posted a 12-1 record in November since Gill arrived in Lynchburg in 2012. That mark is tied with Northern Iowa for best in the FCS, and LU’s lone loss in that span came last season in a 38-36 home setback to CSU.

Liberty is 19-3 all-time against CSU and has won the last four meetings in North Charleston. A reason for such success? Typically when the Flames play the Buccaneers, it is late in the season and a share of the Big South title is on the line.
So unlike the previous two conference road contests against Gardner-Webb and Monmouth that resulted in losses, Liberty should find no shortage of motivation to play well out of the gate instead of waiting for the second half to roll around, much like how last Saturday’s contest against Presbyterian unfolded.

CSU has it all sewn up as well.

clenz
November 10th, 2015, 09:10 PM
Quit saying Montana is a top 10 team.

knucklehead
November 10th, 2015, 09:12 PM
For those that can't figure it out, I'm saying top 10 when LU beat them. Guess I have to spell it out. I do pay attention. Montana was NOT on my ballot this week.

Thumper 76
November 10th, 2015, 09:19 PM
For those that can't figure it out, I'm saying top 10 when LU beat them. Guess I have to spell it out. I do pay attention. Montana was NOT on my ballot this week.

Doesn't make your argument any better. Do you think the committee will look at the Montana win and go, well they were in the top ten at the time...

RootinFerDukes
November 10th, 2015, 09:26 PM
Quit saying Montana is a top 10 team.

Honestly, if ndsu fans can say their losses to Montana and South Dakota aren't bad in hindsight, he can say Liberty beat a top 10 team.

knucklehead
November 10th, 2015, 09:42 PM
Doesn't make your argument any better. Do you think the committee will look at the Montana win and go, well they were in the top ten at the time...

So, is it a bad loss for NDSU? Remember they are qb challenged at this point.

Missingnumber7
November 10th, 2015, 09:47 PM
I think if Liberty wins out you would get in over CCU at the end of it. I don't think the Big South gets more than 2 in. But another weekend like this and it could change significantly.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 10th, 2015, 09:51 PM
I wonder how much credit Liberty would get for beating a 2-10 FBS Georgia State team? How about if they finish 4-8? They've actually been somewhat competitive this year....

Scooter
November 10th, 2015, 09:54 PM
The Montana and South Dakota losses were bad losses for NDSU. The South Dakota game was probably the worst I have seen NDSU play for a long time. The fact that USD is still alive in the playoff picture does nothing to soften the blow.

However, there isn't one poster on this board, if they are honest, who wants NDSU on their side of the bracket, so smack away. We all know the truth.

Thumper 76
November 10th, 2015, 09:54 PM
So, is it a bad loss for NDSU? Remember they are qb challenged at this point.

I would all it a bad loss for NDSU at this point no matter what their fans argue. I understand the intangibles of the game compared to the rest of the season, but it still ends up looking like a bad loss IMHO.

I would not, however call them QB challenged. They are really hitting their stride right now it would appear from seeing their games. Is Stick a step down from Wentz, sure. But to call them challenged at the position is wrong. Stick is a solid qb at worst. Unless you were referencing Montana, which makes my entire point moot. And the more I think about it I think that's what you mean, so I feel dumb xlolx

Thumper 76
November 10th, 2015, 09:56 PM
The Montana and South Dakota losses were bad losses for NDSU. The South Dakota game was probably the worst I have seen NDSU play for a long time. The fact that USD is still alive in the playoff picture does nothing to soften the blow.

However, there isn't one poster on this board, if they are honest, who wants NDSU on their side of the bracket, so smack away. We all know the truth.

I wouldn't relish it, but with TC at qb I think we stand a MUCH better chance vs the Bison than the last game. I pray we are on opposite sides of the bracket, even if it will never happen.

knucklehead
November 10th, 2015, 10:06 PM
Where might a 7-4 LU be ranked? I'd say about 17.

If NDSU has 2 bad losses, I need to reassess last week's ballot.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 10th, 2015, 10:14 PM

What they are at the end of the season is what matters. It matters zero, and I mean zero that that can be called a top 10 win due to the early season timing. It can not be called a top 10 win for this debate. It just does not hold water.

grizband
November 10th, 2015, 10:17 PM

If Montana wins out, and finishes the regular season at 7-4, is this still considered a bad loss? It might not be a great loss, but at that point I wouldn't call it a bad loss.

centennial
November 10th, 2015, 11:52 PM
If Montana wins out, and finishes the regular season at 7-4, is this still considered a bad loss? It might not be a great loss, but at that point I wouldn't call it a bad loss.
Both Montana and South Dakota are bad losses, are they horrible, probably not. Even at 7-4 for both teams, which is doubtful, 4time defending champions should not be losing to borderline top 25 teams. Also we aren't as good as years past, both games were winnable, both teams played really well to beat us. However, that is not an excuse. On topic SIU is a below average MVFC team, and they clearly out matched and played LU. IMO LU is not a playoff team, they would struggle to beat a top 8 MVFC team, they lost to the 9th team in the conference. Turner Gill isn't going to get LU over the hump, he is mediocre at best. LU should be a top 10 team just by how much money they have.

jmrepak
November 11th, 2015, 04:34 AM
What they are at the end of the season is what matters. It matters zero, and I mean zero that that can be called a top 10 win due to the early season timing. It can not be called a top 10 win for this debate. It just does not hold water.
the funny thing is that we had this discussion a few weeks ago when it looked like the strength of Coastal's schedule was slightly improving with a ranked WIU team and most people took the exact opposite point of view. Funny how context changes ones opinion.

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little supporting a Liberty fan's argument.

jmrepak
November 11th, 2015, 04:37 AM
I am waiting with much anticipation for this weekend mostly because a win should all but lock up our at-large. We will not get in as an 8-3 team, but 9-2 with an all D1 schedule will make it, IMO. Especially with our past playoff performances (like it or not history matters).

IaaScribe
November 11th, 2015, 05:56 AM
I think CSU will roll Liberty this weekend and make this discussion moot. Bucs win by at least two TDs.

CID1990
November 11th, 2015, 06:08 AM
I think CSU will roll Liberty this weekend and make this discussion moot. Bucs win by at least two TDs.

Yeah I just don't see CSU losing to Liberty. There is a wide performance gap between those two teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rokamortis
November 11th, 2015, 06:13 AM
While I agree that I see CSU taking care of business, it wouldn't be unthinkable for CSU to have a letdown the week after they clinch the Big South autobid as they also look forward to playing Bama the following week.

CSU18
November 11th, 2015, 08:06 AM
While I agree that I see CSU taking care of business, it wouldn't be unthinkable for CSU to have a letdown the week after they clinch the Big South autobid as they also look forward to playing Bama the following week.

Not sure we're looking forward to playing Bama. Yeah it's going to be a great experience, but I think the main goal that week is to stay healthy. In the past I could see a let down, and you're right it could still happen after clinching a playoff spot for the first time in school history. I think Coach Chadwell has done a good job this year of playing one week at a time and has the team ready to play and beat LU (I hope).

AmsterBison
November 11th, 2015, 10:25 AM
When did "bad loss" become the be-all, end-all of playoff selection for some people? I ask because it's been popping up in all sorts of conversations.

To me, it's a completely moronic metric invented back in 1993 to give a 1-loss Florida State team a national championship over a 1-loss Notre Dame team WHO BEAT FLORIDA STATE that season.

Good wins say a heckuva lot more about a team than bad losses. I mean, all losses are bad even if some are worse than others (e.g. getting blown out.)

RootinFerDukes
November 12th, 2015, 07:58 PM
With the way ndsu has played the past 5-6 seasons, I'd say ANY loss qualifies as a bad loss from their perspective.

TheKingpin28
November 12th, 2015, 10:47 PM
With the way ndsu has played the past 5-6 seasons, I'd say ANY loss qualifies as a bad loss from their perspective.

Except UNI. One of a handful of teams that NDSU could lose to and it would not be a bad loss.

4bidn1
November 13th, 2015, 08:12 AM
Only thing I can think of is that whether people like it or not, at the time of the teams losses to LU they were ranked where they were and it is/was at the hands of LU that they are no longer top 10. (i.e. Montana(hopefully CSU - CCU)

clenz
November 13th, 2015, 08:20 AM
Only thing I can think of is that whether people like it or not, at the time of the teams losses to LU they were ranked where they were and it is/was at the hands of LU that they are no longer top 10. (i.e. Montana(hopefully CSU - CCU)
Montana was not top 10 at that time, I don't believe.

The fact they aren't top 10 isn't because of Liberty - they aren't even ranked at freaking all in the AGS poll. It's because they lost to 2-6 Cal Poly the week before they lost to Liberty. They lost to Weber State in Montana...

Good try though

knucklehead
November 13th, 2015, 08:37 AM
Montana was not top 10 at that time, I don't believe.

The fact they aren't top 10 isn't because of Liberty - they aren't even ranked at freaking all in the AGS poll. It's because they lost to 2-6 Cal Poly the week before they lost to Liberty. They lost to Weber State in Montana...

Good try though

On Sept 19th in William's Stadium- #14 Liberty Beat #7 Montana. xthumbsupx

AmsterBison
November 13th, 2015, 08:43 AM
I would all it a bad loss for NDSU at this point no matter what their fans argue. I understand the intangibles of the game compared to the rest of the season, but it still ends up looking like a bad loss IMHO.

I would not, however call them QB challenged.

I thought he was talking about Montana being QB challenged since they are down two QBs since the NDSU game. Gustafson got hurt in the Liberty game (although Montana's offense was not doing much against Liberty with him in.) Chad Chalich, his replacement, got injured against Weber State.

If Liberty wins out, they'd have put together a great finish to the season.

KPSUL
November 13th, 2015, 10:11 AM
Liberty has been a huge disappointment this year considering how well they did at the end of last season and the fact they were returning many of their key performers from 2014 including starting QB and running back. They got a lot of support in early polls but are currently off most voters watch lists and the national radar. Although not totally out of the realm of possibility, I don't think even season ending wins over CSU and CCU will get them an at-large bid. Stranger things have happened, but don't count on it. This scenario would result in the Big South getting a higher % of teams in the playoffs than the MVFC, CAA, and Big Sky. And your argument is based on LU beating 2 conference opponents, a likely 4-5th place big sky team and arguably the worst team in FBS. Again it would come down to a 7-4 Liberty vs. a 9-2 Coastal.

Silenoz
November 13th, 2015, 11:33 AM
Except UNI. One of a handful of teams that NDSU could lose to and it would not be a bad loss.

Why?

Gangtackle11
November 13th, 2015, 11:42 AM
Does Villanova get in with wins over Richmond & JMU? it's a tough road for sure. They may win CAA on tie breaker, but doubtful unless W&M spits the bit.

Hypothetical resume at 7-4:
6-2 in CAA & most likely 2nd place finish

Wins over:
Richmond
JMU
Rhode Island
Maine
Albany
Delaware
Fordham

Losses:
UConn
Penn
William & Mary
Towson

Good enough?

BisonTru
November 13th, 2015, 11:50 AM
Does Villanova get in with wins over Richmond & JMU? it's a tough road for sure. They may win CAA on tie breaker, but doubtful unless W&M spits the bit.

Wins over:
Richmond
JMU
Rhode Island
Maine
Albany
Delaware
Fordham

Losses:
UConn
Penn
William & Mary
Towson

Good enough?

Yep, IMO, three good wins and 7-4 in the CAA should be good enough.

Basically you guys are in playoff mode, lose and your season is over, win and your still alive.

TheKingpin28
November 13th, 2015, 01:49 PM
Why?

Consistent SOS
Consistent Top 5 in valley=Top 25 nationally
Something like a 200-50 record at home
Very few losing seasons

That's just a start.

grizband
November 13th, 2015, 02:05 PM
Consistent SOS
Consistent Top 5 in valley=Top 25 nationally
Something like a 200-50 record at home
Very few losing seasons

That's just a start.
So, historically the same as Montana...

TheKingpin28
November 13th, 2015, 02:07 PM
So, historically the same as Montana...

Which again goes back to op of mine. NDSU could lose to a few teams including UNI and it would not it be a bad loss.

KPSUL
November 13th, 2015, 02:41 PM

Wins over:
Richmond
JMU
Rhode Island
Maine
Albany
Delaware
Fordham

Losses:
UConn
Penn
William & Mary
Towson

Good enough?

Simply put; yes! Although if Towson wins their last two, including W&M, they'll get a bid before NOVA, IMO. However, I don't see the trifecta of Richmond, JMU and W&M all losing those games as much of a possibility.

Go...gate
November 13th, 2015, 04:18 PM
Yes Liberty has 2 terrible losses (GWU and Monmouth) and one not great loss (SIU). But if they win out, they would have 3 top 10 wins (CSU, CCU, and Montana). They would be 7-4. Would that be enough to make the playoff field?

IMO, yes.

eiu1999
November 13th, 2015, 04:27 PM

Wins over:
Richmond
JMU
Rhode Island
Maine
Albany
Delaware
Fordham

Losses:
UConn
Penn
William & Mary
Towson

Good enough?

Those would be two good wins, yes.

rokamortis
November 14th, 2015, 05:25 PM
seems like this scenario is moot now.

knucklehead
November 14th, 2015, 05:36 PM
Moot it is. The season can still leave a good taste in my mouth on Thursday night though.

rokamortis
November 14th, 2015, 07:38 PM
Moot it is. The season can still leave a good taste in my mouth on Thursday night though.

There you go, at least you can find the silver lining.

kdinva
November 14th, 2015, 07:51 PM

Wins over:
Richmond
JMU
Rhode Island
Maine
Albany
Delaware
Fordham

Losses:
UConn
Penn
William & Mary
Towson

Good enough?

Yes; 'Nova gets in @ 6-2/7-4.....if they win next week....Towson should win next week and finish 5-3/7-4......that'll be close for the COmmittee.....I say CAA gets four spots......five would be a HUGE push....especially if UNH finishes 7-4 also....

tribefan40
November 14th, 2015, 08:51 PM

Wins over:
Richmond
JMU
Rhode Island
Maine
Albany
Delaware
Fordham

Losses:
UConn
Penn
William & Mary
Towson

Good enough?

Nova wins next week and there's a plausible scenario for them to get the autobid... Chew on that...

tribefan40
November 14th, 2015, 08:52 PM
UNH and Nova both win out, both are in, IMO. 7-4 pool will be muddied, but pretty shallow.

tigonian02
November 14th, 2015, 09:05 PM
Liberty has been a huge disappointment this year considering how well they did at the end of last season and the fact they were returning many of their key performers from 2014 including starting QB and running back. They got a lot of support in early polls but are currently off most voters watch lists and the national radar. Although not totally out of the realm of possibility, I don't think even season ending wins over CSU and CCU will get them an at-large bid. Stranger things have happened, but don't count on it. This scenario would result in the Big South getting a higher % of teams in the playoffs than the MVFC, CAA, and Big Sky. And your argument is based on LU beating 2 conference opponents, a likely 4-5th place big sky team and arguably the worst team in FBS. Again it would come down to a 7-4 Liberty vs. a 9-2 Coastal.

Meh....at the beginning of the year, Ga State could have been argued as being the worst in FBS, but they've come along a bit during the season. They are actually scoring a little now. For the record, I'm not arguing pro Ga State...still a bottom 10 team (defense is horrendous) which may not get Liberty any points at the end of the year...but not the worst. UCF and North Texas...now those are some true contenders for the worst team in America.

JMU2004
November 15th, 2015, 12:17 AM
Bye Liberty.

jmrepak
November 15th, 2015, 01:50 AM
I'm not going to come here and trash talk Liberty this week. The fact is that Liberty considers us their rival. They know they're out of the playoffs, and they will put it all on the line this week to try to knock us off in their place on a Thursday night with a national TV audience. Not that many people even know what channel ESPNnews is on.

Bisonwinagn
November 15th, 2015, 02:00 AM
I'm not going to come here and trash talk Liberty this week. The fact is that Liberty considers us their rival. They know they're out of the playoffs, and they will put it all on the line this week to try to knock us off in their place on a Thursday night with a national TV audience. Not that many people even know what channel ESPNnews is on.

ESPN news is one channel down from ESPN for me.

jmrepak
November 15th, 2015, 02:04 AM
ESPN news is one channel down from ESPN for me. lol. It's in the 400s here. I think the only channels after are ESPN Classic, membership channels and PPV.

grizband
November 15th, 2015, 04:16 AM
Do you consider Liberty a rival? Just curious, always thought Coastal and Liberty were rivals.

jmrepak
November 15th, 2015, 06:30 AM
Do you consider Liberty a rival? Just curious, always thought Coastal and Liberty were rivals.
Competitively yes, but our actual rival was always Charleston Southern. Liberty did a really good job of manufacturing us as their rival by building up a #BeatCoastal culture. A lot of that had to do with either us or them winning the Sasser Cup (overall conference championship) for probably the last 15 years or so. That's the long version. The short version is that we've only been 'rivals' for 4 or 5 years.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 16th, 2015, 12:34 PM
the funny thing is that we had this discussion a few weeks ago when it looked like the strength of Coastal's schedule was slightly improving with a ranked WIU team and most people took the exact opposite point of view. Funny how context changes ones opinion.

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little supporting a Liberty fan's argument.
I think you are taking two separate things and combining as if they were the same thing. One is recognition of historical stuff as it was when it happened and another is recognition of what is currently know...which is what the selection committee should be doing.

They are two separate things though.